• Published 12th Mar 2012
  • 17,226 Views, 991 Comments

The Great Slave King - TalonMach5



King a slave of the diamond dogs, becomes a god and plots his revenge against those who wronged him.

  • ...
68
 991
 17,226

On the Road to Londwhinium

As Clover the Clever walked together with Shanks along the lonely forest path towards Londwhinium, the feelings of despair that had been plaguing the blue unicorn this entire journey were starting to subside. Somehow, the youthful exuberance of the small brown diamond dog pup was almost infectious. Clover couldn’t help but smile when he saw Shanks hopeful optimism towards their impossible mission. In his youth, he had never given much thought about developing friendships with other ponies. There was always so much to learn, and so little time. By the time he had been accepted by Starswirl the bearded as his apprentice, he had discovered he had grown up and never bothered to gain any friends. Honestly, he couldn’t think of anypony close enough to consider anything more than a mere acquaintance. Traveling together with Shanks had shown him what he now knew he had been missing his whole life, friendship.

Clover’s musings was interrupted when he saw Shanks investigating a signpost up ahead. The pup sniffed at the wooden post several times, and then placed his nose to the ground. Zigzagging across the path and back towards the sign, Shanks faithfully followed his nose investigating the interesting scent he had found. With his tail wagging, Shanks lifted his head up to bark a few times towards Clover and ran down the opposite path.

“Shanks, wait!” Clover called out to his diamond dog companion. But the little pup didn’t pay him any heed, instead he ran as fast as his short legs could carry him.

“By Celestia’s mane, is that pup fast,” Clover muttered to himself, struggling to keep up.

Clover chased after Shanks weaving back and forth between the trees, until he came to a clearing near a well. Near the well were a few abandoned bags with their contents strew all over the ground. Pawing at the ground, Shanks stopped and tried climbing up the sides of the stone well, “Arf, arf, arf,” he barked.

“What is it shanks,” Clover asked. “Did somepony fall in the well?”

“Not just somepony,” echoed a voice from deep inside the well, “actually sometaurus and somepony I suppose you could say.”

Shanks stopped pawing at the well and looked inquisitively at Clover. “Who do you think is down there?” Shanks asked, wagging his tail.

Lighting up his horn, Clover peered down into the darkness of the well. Even with his brightly illuminated horn, he was unable to see very far into the inky depths of the well. “I’m not sure who’s down there,” he advised the pup. “But somepony needs our help, and I intend to give it.”

“That’s sometaurus plus one,” the voice said, correcting Clover. “But any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated in this matter.”

“Quickly Shanks,” Clover said, “help me find some vines.”

Happily, Shanks followed after Clover into the brush looking for vines. After a few minutes he found exactly what they needed. Spying a vine, he grabbed one end with his mouth and pulled as hard as he could. With a final sharp tug, the vine gave way sending Shanks sprawling to the ground.

“Good job Shanks,” Clover said, levitating the vine in front of him. Using his magic, he transmuted the vine into a sturdy rope. After securing the rope to a nearby tree, he gave the rope a sharp tug with his mouth a few times. Satisfied it should hold anyponys weight, he lowered the rope into the open mouth of the well. “Okay, I’m sending you down a rope,” Clover shouted into the well.

“Much obliged friend,” the voice responded. “We’re climbing up now.”

Clover heard the rope straining against the weight being placed on it. Worried that the rope might break, he activated his horn and strengthened the rope with his magic. He gasped, when he saw what was climbing out of the well; a heavily armored, blue minotaur wielding a battleax, and curiously also a small green seapony floating in a magic bubble holding onto the minotaur’s back.

“Oh Sir Stouthorn,” the seapony said to the minotaur, looking up at the sun relieved. “I never thought we would ever see the sun again.”

“Nonsense Seafoam,” Sir Stouthorn advised his companion, while brushing some dry leaves off his dripping armor, “I knew that we would eventually be assisted by brave adventurers like ourselves.”

“If you say so sir…” Seafoam replied, as he began sorting through the strewn saddlebags on the ground.

Seeing Clover and Shanks, Sir Stouthorn bowed deeply before them, sweeping his cloak aside with a great flourish. “I am Sir le Boeuf Stouthorn, the chivalrous, of the ‘Most Illustrious Order of Triton the Lawgiver’, he said, the sun gleaming off his impossibly white teeth. “And this is Seafoam, my loyal page. We are ever so grateful for the assistance you provided. Allow us to journey with you, and we shall see you safely to your destination, for the Everfree forest can be a tad bit dangerous. May I have the name of our rescuers?”

“I am Clover the Clever, and the pup is Shanks,” Clover replied.

“Well, Clover the Clever and Shanks the pup,” Sir Stouthorn said reverently, “you have the undying thanks of this old knight.”

Clover looked up at the large minotaur, and his seapony companion. “Well, we were happy to help you,” he said, unsure of the minotaur’s offer, “but we’re on our way to the Castle of the Pony Sisters, and we wouldn’t want to delay you on your travels.”

“How fortuitous!” Sir Stouthorn heartily bellowed, excited at the omen. “We just happen to be headed there to obtain the ultimate quest.”

“Aroo, ultimate quest?” Shanks asked, tilting his head inquisitively.

“Yes good pup,” Sir Stouthorn replied, biting into an apple he had removed from a bag attached to his belt, “a quest that will be immortalized in song, and win my page his knighthood.”

“Really, Sir Stouthorn,” Seafoam said, as he finished organizing the packs. “We’ve haven’t yet received the quest yet. What if all we get is a task to deliver a message?”

“Then it shall be a message of great importance!” Sir Stouthorn declared.

“Well,” Clover said to the excitable minotaur, “since we’re heading the same direction, I suppose it would be all right to travel the rest of the way together.”

“Superb,” Sir Stouthorn said reaching out his massive hand towards the much smaller unicorn, “you’ll have my ax at your disposal, for as long as you require it.”

Clover looked up at the large minotaur; gingerly he placed his right front hoof in the knight’s outstretched hand. Clasping his hoof, the Minotaur shook it vigorously. Clover didn’t know what to make of his new acquaintances. A diamond dog pup was one thing, but now he had a seapony and of all things a minotaur as traveling companions.

Floating behind them, Seafoam was busy reading his maps while looking for the best route to take through the Everfree forest, when Shanks walked up behind him. “What you reading seapony?” Shanks asked, sniffing at the seaponies magic bubble.

“Oh just some maps,” Seafoam replied, trying to balance several maps in his flippers. Looking at the pup, he smiled as he thought of an idea, “Hey Shanks, wasn’t it. Care to help me carry our supplies?”

Shanks wagged his tail excitedly. “Oh sure, mister seapony. I love to help!”

Seafoam smiled in delight, when he heard the diamond dog agree to help. Finally he could offload one of the heavier packs on somepony else. “Okay, Shanks,” he said, placing one of the heavier packs on the pups back. “Hold still, while I secure the saddlebag. By the way there’s no need to call me mister seapony.”

Shanks waited patiently, while the seapony tightened the straps around his body. While the pack was a bit heavy, he didn’t really feel it was too much for him to carry. “Okay, seapony let’s go!” he barked happily.

“Okay Shanks,” Seafoam replied, “but you can me Seafoam, instead of seapony.”

Shanks wagged his tail in response. “Okay mister Seafoam,” Shanks said.

Seafoam threw up his hooves in surrender, trailing behind the excitable pup.

*****

Several hours had passed, and the traveling companions were sitting in front of a campfire trying to keep warm in the cooling night air. After placing more firewood on the fire, Sir Stouthorn sat back down, resuming eating his stew. “So tell me Clover,” the minotaur asked the unicorn, “that’s an interesting cap, wherever did you get it?”

Clover looked up, raising his eyes up from his half-finished bowl of stew. “Oh this hat belongs to my Master, Starswirl the Bearded,” he replied.

“You mean the Starswirl the Bearded, who singlehoofedly sealed the gates to Tartarus?” Seafoam asked, lifting his muzzle out of his bowl.

“Well he didn’t exactly do it all by himself…” Clover tried explaining.

“Was that the same Starswirl, who sealed the Smooze back in its black prison?” asked Sir Stouthorn, his curiosity piqued, by the possible retelling of exploits that only Clover might know.

“Master Starswirl’s adventures are quite famous,” Clover replied, “but he’s quite the humble pony. He’s never really discussed them with me, so I don’t know much about what happened beyond what the official histories say.”

Sir Stouthorn’s eyes revealed his disappointment in not getting to hear a first hoof recounting of Starswirl the Bearded’s epic adventures. “That’s too bad Clover, he said returning to his stew. “Perhaps if you like, I could regale you with a few of our recent adventures instead.”

At the word adventures, Shanks head shot up from his bowl. “Were they exciting mister Sir?” He asked, rapt in attention at Sir Stouthorn.

Sir Stouthorn gave out a hearty laugh. “Oh, ho, ho, ho, well it was pretty exciting. Don’t you think so Seafoam?” he asked his page.

“Oh, I don’t know about that sir,” Seafoam replied several feet away, gathering more wood for the fire. “I mean charging into a dragon’s maw, right before it expelled its dragons fire might be considered more reckless than adventurous.”

“Aroo,” Shanks said, his tongue lolling out of his mouth. “What happened, next?”

“Well…” Sir Stouthorn continued.

*****

“Oh bollocks,” Sir Stouthorn said, charging headfirst into the dragons open maw. Leaping high into the air with his weapon at the ready, he cried out, “For Great Justice!”

Seafoam could scarcely believe his eyes, when he saw the minotaur leaping into the waiting maw of the great beast. “My master must have finally lost his mind,” Seafoam sighed, reaching into his pack for his trident. Deciding on a steep angle of attack, he leapt high into the air with his trident fully extended.

Currently, the green dragon seemed to be more concerned with the minotaur then with his tiny seapony companion. Before the dragon was able to release its burning flames, Sir Stouthorn managed to bury his ax deep in the emerald scales of the great beast’s snout. The Dragon thrashed in pain, trying to claw at the knight holding onto to the ax buried in its scales.

“For the Lawgiver,” Seafoam cried out in frustration. Even if this was to be his last quest with his master, he was glad that Sir Stouthorn would be remembered in a great song at least. His trident was aimed squarely at the dragon’s eye, at the last minute the beast moved its head. Seafoam found himself dangling from its ear, like some sort of odd earring.

“Sir Stout… Stouthorn,” Seafoam managed to squeak out, while being knocked back and forth wildly by the dragon’s erratic movements, “please tell me you have a plan.”

“My… my… goo… good… Sea… Seafoam,” Sir Stouthorn stammered out, as he tried to keep his tenuous grip on his battleax, “we just have to tire out the beast, is all.”

The dragon hearing their conversation, tilted back its head and roared, causing birds for miles around to leave their perches in fright. It was seriously annoyed, no matter what it tried these two morsels just wouldn’t let go. Unfurling its wings, the dragon began a steady rhythm of flapping, and took off high into the air.

“Aiiieee!” screamed a terrified Seafoam holding onto his trident for dear life.

“I know Seafoam,” Sir Stouthorn replied through gritted teeth, the force of the wind distending his face. “It’s quite exhilarating isn’t it?”

The dragon reaching the apex of its climb tucked in its wings, and dived back downwards towards the earth in a death defying rush to meet the ground. Gently extending its wings out, the dragon began spinning wildly as if in a dance with the sky. Sir Stouthorn was getting pretty winded, he didn’t want to admit it but this quest might not end up as a success for him. Pulling himself forward towards the beast’s great maw, he found that the scales were rough, perfect for maintaining his grip. Sir Stouthorn did the only thing he could, grab his arms around its maw and keep it closed, hoping for the best.

“Seafoam, we have the scoundrel on the ropes now,” Sir Stouthorn declared, when they were less than a hundred feet above the ground.”

“If you say so, sir,” Seafoam said, not entirely as convinced as his master and hoping the impending crash didn’t hurt too much.

The dragon tried expelling some flames to slow its descent, but found that it was unable. In a panic, the beast shook its head back and forth futilely, but the minotaur and seapony held fast. Altering its course the dragon extended its wings as widely as possible and tried slowing its descent by crashing into a strand of young trees.

All Seafoam could see before him was their impending deaths, as the thicket came rushing at him. With a shuddering crash the dragon broke through hundreds of feet of trees and brush, until it came to a complete stop. Opening his eyes Seafoam saw that the dragon was stunned, and Sir Stouthorn had already freed his ax and was ready to dispatch the troublesome beast. Freeing himself from the dragon’s ear, Seafoam floated over towards his liege, trident at the ready.

“See what I told you, young Seafoam,” Sir Stouthorn said, flourishing his ax in an impressive display of martial prowess.” The quest always provides.”

“Quickly, Sir Stouthorn. Before the dragon recovers!” Seafoam warned his master.

“Nonsense, my page,” Sir Stouthorn declared, “the rules of chivalry, requires we allow the knave a chance to repent of their misdeeds.”

“My poor children,” wept a loud voice, “how shall they ever survive now?” Both Sir Stouthorn and Seafoam looked towards the direction the voice came from. The green dragon was utterly exhausted. From half closed eyes steaming tears escaped, rolling down its snout and falling to the earth below.

“I beg your pardon madam,” Sir Stouthorn said, removing his helmet in respect. “Had I known you were a mother, I would never have accosted you so.”

“Please good knight,” the dragoness pleaded. “Slay me if you must, but spare my hatchlings.”

In shame for his earlier misconduct, Sir Stouthorn wept three bitter tears. “Madam, you have my word no further harm will come to you or your brood,” he said, wiping the tears away with a fine silk handkerchief.

“Oh, a thousand blessings upon your nest and your brood mother,” the dragoness said in gratitude. The dragoness let out a few chirps. Minutes later, five small emerald green dragon hatchlings flew to their mother’s side. Expectantly, they growled eager to be fed. “I’m sorry my children,” she said. “There are no more gems to be had at the moment. Perhaps, we can find some overlooked gem deposits from the mountains yonder.”

When Sir Stouthorn saw the mountains in the distance, he knew that neither the hatchlings, nor their mother would make the long trip without sustenance. “Seafoam, hand me our gem satchel please,” the knight said.

“Oh sure, Sir Stouthorn,” Seafoam replied, handing a large and heavy sack to his master.

“Take these gems with our blessings lady dragon,” Sir Stouthorn said without regret. “May the Lawgiver guide you and your brood safely to your destination.”

“But that’s all our funds…,” Seafoam objected, before Sir Stouthorn placed his large hand over his page’s mouth.

In gratitude the dragoness picked up the bag of gems, feeding her hungry children. “Thank you for your kindness, sir knight,” she said. Removing a thick scale from her belly, she gently handed it to Sir Stouthorn. “Take my scale as a token of gratitude for rescuing a lady in distress. Should you ever find yourself near the Wurm Crag Mountains and need assistance, my clan will gladly aid you.”

“My lady, what brings you and your family so far from dragon lands? Surely over there, there are gems enough to feed a thousand dragons many times over?” Sir Stouthorn asked, puzzled why she would risk leaving the relative safety of her clan behind, to go half-way across Equestria.

“Good sir,” the dragoness replied, the gems have nearly all been eaten. Lord Darkpaw has turned his back on both diamond dogs, and dragons equally. There are no more gems to be had in the dragon lands.”

“Then that explains all the dragon attacks we’ve been hearing about,” Seafoam said.

“Yes, little seapony,” the dragoness replied. “I’m ashamed to admit, I too have been forced into raiding settlements to just feed myself and my children.”

“Fear not, my lady,” Sir Stouthorn said, “The gems we provided should get you to the mountains, and I’m sure the mountain will provide more than enough gems for your needs.”

"Thank you good sir,” the dragoness said, securing the remaining gems on one of her spines. “Come children, we must make haste to the mountains before the night is upon us.” Unfurling her wings, the dragoness took off into the air, with her hatchlings following closely behind.

"Well I’m sure the B.A.ST.A.R.D.S at the harper’s guild will give us at least a song or two from this quest” Sir Stouthorn said, cheerfully sharpening his ax. “What next on the itinerary, Seafoam?”

“But all our money…” Seafoam said, realizing that they were now destitute.

“Let that be a worry for tomorrow, so what’s there to eat I’m starving?” Sir Stouthorn replied, rubbing his stomach in anticipation of his next meal.

*****

Clover could scarcely believe his ears, the dragons and diamond dogs were also starving? This was worse than his master had initially thought. “I can scarcely believe you managed to survive such an ordeal,” Clover said. “Dragons are incredibly powerful creatures.”

“You’re not the only one,” Seafoam retorted, rubbing his bruised ribs. “By the way, thanks for sharing provisions with us, once we reach the Castle of the Pony Sisters we’ll be able to pay you back and then some.”

“No it’s alright,” Clover replied. “Master Starswirl always said, ‘the days not done till you can help somepony.’”

“Well your master sounds like a very kind and wise stallion,” Seafoam said yawning.

“By the way how do you ever end up inside the well?” Clover asked.

Believe it or not it was another unicorn, pink to be precise and carrying a young blue dragon on her back.” Seafoam said. “We had just stopped to eat lunch…”

*****

“Excellent fair as always, lad,” Sir Stouthorn said, rubbing his stomach. I don’t know about you, but questing always gives me an appetite.”

Running out of the trees and into the clearing by the well, a pink unicorn with a tiny blue dragon riding on its back was galloping as fast as it could go. “Huff, huff, huff, Slick did we lose him?” the unicorn asked her dragon companion.

Looking warily up in the sky, Slick squinted trying to spy anything moving above them. “Nope Showboat, looks like the coast is clear,” he said.

Spying the minotaur and seapony eating by the well, the pink unicorn used her magic to preen for a moment, and then trotted over towards them. “Good sirs, could you possibly find it in your heart to aid a lady in distress?” Showboat asked, fluttering her eyelashes demurely at Seafoam.

Seafoam’s pale green skin slowly turned three shades of red, as he nearly fainted in embarrassment. “Ye, yes, we would be honored to aid a lady as lovely as yourself,” he managed to stammer out.

Sir Stouthorn, seeing his flustered page knelt down on one knee and took Showboat’s dainty hoof, kissing it lightly he looked into her sky blue eyes. “Please forgive him my lady,” he said, with all the poise and grace of a refined gentlebull, “he’s unaccustomed to the feminine charms of the fairer sex.”

Pulling her hoof up to her muzzle, Showboat tittered gently, “Oh you flatter good sir,” she replied. “My name is Showboat, and my dragon companion is Slick. May I have the pleasure of knowing the name of such a gentlecolt as yourself?”

“Certainly, my fair lady,” the minotaur said bowing deeply. “I am Sir le Boeuf Stouthorn, the chivalrous, of the ‘Most Illustrious Order of Triton the Lawgiver’, and my young page is Seafoam. Should you need any assistance, ask my page he will provide anything you require.”

“Well, we lost all of our food, and we would be most grateful for anything you could spare,” Showboat said demurely.

“Of course my lady,” Sir Stouthorn said, opening up their food satchel. “Seafoam, be a good lad and go with Slick to fetch some fresh water from the well, while I stoke up the fire.”

“Of course Sir Stouthorn,” Seafoam said, floating towards the well.

Following closely behind him Slick looked at his magic bubble. “Seafoam, that’s some pretty impressive magic you have there,” he said.

“Why thank you Slick,” Seafoam said, trying to grab a hold of the rope inside the well. “It’s a gift from the Lawgiver himself. Seaponies that wish to become knights receive the bubble so they can move about safely on land.”

“Does that mean if you wanted to, you could fly down the well and come back up?” Slick asked pointedly.

“Oh no, Slick,” Seafoam replied, still unable to grab a hold of the rope. “There’s not enough room down there to maneuver, so I’d be quite stuck if I fell down. Why do you ask…?”

“Oh, no reason,” Slick replied, giving the seapony a hard push. With a look of shock on his face, Seafoam fell down the well before he could utter a sound, followed moments later by a small splash. Wearing a smug grin he called out, “Oh my gosh. Sir Stouthorn. Come quickly.”

Both Sir Stouthorn and Showboat trotted over towards the well, “What happened, son,” the knight asked in concern.

Feigning tears, Slick brought his hands up to cover his face. “Oh I’m so sorry Sir Stouthorn,” the dragon lied, “We were trying to grab the rope for the well, and I started slipping. Seafoam grabbed me and fell in himself. What if he hit his head and drowned?”

“Ho, ho, ho,” Sir Stouthorn laughed, “he may end up all wet, but Seafoam will be all right. I just need to extend a rope down to help him climb out.”

Showboat magically grabbed the well’s rope, and tied it around Sir Stouthorn’s waist. “Sir Stouthorn, my magic will hold you securely. Lean over the well, and see if Seafoam’s okay to climb back up.”

“Capital idea, Lady Showboat,” Sir Stouthorn said, leaning precariously over the mouth of the well. “Seafoam can you hear me?”

“Ugh, my head,” Seafoam’s voice reverberated out from the well. “Wait, Sir Stouthorn it’s a trap!”

“What’s a trap?” Sir Stouthorn asked in concern, right before the rope around his waist stopped holding him. He fell headfirst into the dark well with only enough time to cry out, “Oh Bollocks,” followed closely by a large splash moments later.

“That trap, Sir Stouthorn,” Seafoam replied dryly.

*****

“As you can see Clover, it was quite fortuitous that you came when you did,” Sir Stouthorn said, adding more wood to the campfire.

“Grrrr, the pretty unicorn is a bad pony,” growled Shanks. “She needs to be worked in the mines.”

“Now hold on there, young pup,” Sir Stouthorn said, holding up his hands. “Before we go off rushing headlong into bringing that mare to justice, we need to find out her side of the story first.”

Out from a nearby tree, a griffin with rainbow hued wings jumped out of the shadows landing in front of them. “Which way did that little tart go?” he snarled.

In shock, nearly everyone was bowled over in surprise. Quickly drawing his ax, Sir Stouthorn readied his weapon, “Proper folks have no business being out at this late hour,” he said, pointing the ax menacingly at the intruder. “Neighbor I ask that you back away slowly, unless you want trouble.”

Unfazed by the large blue minotaur or his sharp looking ax, the griffin shrieked once and glared defiantly at the party. “Just tell me what I want to know, and I’ll leave you in peace,” the griffin said. “However if you’re protecting that little hussy, I’ll make you regret it.”

“Sir, now calm down,” Clover advised the griffin, “there’s no need to resort to violence. Perhaps, if everypony introduces themselves first, we could discuss this matter like civilized creatures.”

“Very well,” the griffin snarled, sitting down by the fire. “My name is Shaw, and that pink unicorn stole a very valuable item from me.”

“Then we have something in common then,” Seafoam said. “We were tricked, by the pink unicorn, and her dragon companion as well.”

“Is the dragon small and blue, and goes by the name of Slick?” Shaw asked, barely containing his anger.

“Yes,” Sir Stouthorn said, with an annoyed look on his face, remembering just how cold the water in the well had been, “that little fellow and his unicorn mistress, nearly drowned us both in a well not too far from here.”

“I knew that little bucker was in cahoots with that slut!” Shaw roared, clawing a nearby tree in anger with his talons, leaving deep gashes in its trunk.

“Shaw, perhaps we should introduce ourselves first,” Clover said, extending a hoof in greeting. “My name is Clover the Clever, and the pup over there is Shanks. The minotaur is Sir Stouthorn, and his seapony companion is Seafoam.”

Sir Stouthorn bowed politely to the griffin, while Seafoam floated over, offering him some of the rolls they had been eating. Shaw gratefully accepted the bread and began eating it. Shanks looked curiously at the griffin and barked inquisitively, “Where did you get those wings, mister griffin?” the pup asked excitedly. After smelling the griffin few times, he growled a bit. “Is the bad pretty pony your wife?”

Shaw glared at the pup, “No she’s nothing of the sort,” he said defensively, “but as far as my wings are concerned, they were a gift from two ravens, Lugh and Loki. So I could catch up with Showboat.”

“By the Lawgiver’s trident!” Sir Stouthorn swore. “This is an omen indeed. Tell me griffin Shaw, did they happen to say anything else?”

“Only something about ‘looking to the Mistress of the night, to guide my path forward’,” Shaw replied. “I honestly have no idea what they were referring to, and I really don’t care. I only want my bridle back.”

“That wouldn’t be a bridle of peace, now would it?” Clover asked shrewdly.

“How did you…?” Shaw started to say, before closing his beak shut. “No, it’s just a plain ordinary bridle nothing more. It just has sentimental value to me.”

Seafoam looked at the dying fire, “Perhaps we can continue this conversation tomorrow,” he said. We’ll need to get up early if we’re going to catch Showboat and her accomplice before she reaches Londwhinium.”

With eyes heavy with sleep, Shaw yawned in agreement. “Yes as dark as this forest is, I would never have a chance of finding her before first light,” he replied.

Sir Stouthorn stood up and walked a short distance away from the campfire, “Allow me my friends, to take the first watch. Then Seafoam, Clover, and Shaw can have their turns.”

Agreeing to the arrangement of their watch, everypony laid down besides the fire to fall asleep. While the fire slowly burned, sending flames towards the nighttime sky. Sir Stouthorn began singing softly towards the full moon:

“Hear, Goddess queen, diffusing silver light, Bull-horn'd, and wand'ring thro' the gloom of Night.

With stars surrounded, and with circuit wide. Luna, Goddess of the Moon

Night's torch extending, through the heav'ns you ride.

With silv'ry rays you shine, and now full-orb'd, now tending to decline.

Mother of ages, fruit-producing Moon, whose amber orb makes Night's reflected noon:

Lover of ponies, splendid queen of night, all-seeing pow'r, bedeck'd with starry light,

Lover of vigilance, the foe of strife, in peace rejoicing, and a prudent life:

Fair lamp of Night, its ornament and friend, who giv'st to Nature's works their destin'd end.

Queen of the stars, all-wise Luna, hail!

Deck'd with a graceful robe and ample veil. Come, blessed Goddess, prudent, starry, bright,

Come, moony-lamp, with chaste and splendid light, shine on these sacred rites with prosp'rous rays,

And pleas'd accept thy suppliants' mystic praise.”

Finishing the ancient hymn, Sir Stouthorn stood with his back to the fire like a sentinel. As long as he stood, nothing would harm those under his charge.

*****

Meanwhile, just on the outskirts of the Everfree forest stood a beast as black as the night. Lifting its nose towards the air a few times, it processed the multitude of scents it found wafting through the breeze. Although the trail was cold, the pup could have only gone one way. Into the Everfree. Even for a monster such as himself, the Everfree gave him pause. Looking deep into the darkness of the Everfree, even his burning red eyes couldn’t pierce its inky depths. It was no small matter to enter that strange place, especially at night. Lifting up his muzzle he released a low howl that exuded power. Slowly, from the tall grasses of the meadow bordering the Everfree, seven other hounds as frightening joined him. At the edge of the forest, they awaited his command.

“Remember my hounds, let doom be your watchword and death be your passing,” the great doomhound said, his voice as quiet as death’s passing. “By his iron crown, show no mercy. For the strong shall rule and the weak serve. Thus commands the Great Slave King. Now go, tear the forest apart if you have to, and when you find the pup destroy him and any who harbor him.”

With a howl that made even death itself pause, all seven of the hounds rushed into the Everfree to hunt their prey. Shaking his head lightly, his black coat reflected Luna’s full moon as he too ran into the Everfree forest.

Perched high overhead listening in was an ancient owl. Hooting, it left its perch and flew deep into the Everfree forest towards parts unknown.

*****

Shaw had just been woken up; his watch had only just begun when he heard an owl overhead hooting. “Whooo, who, who,” the owl seemed to ask.

Narrowing his eyes in anger at the noisy intruder, he tried throwing a pinecone at the annoying bird. To his surprise, it caught it in its talons then dropped it back on his head. “Just who, who, who, do you think you are?” the owl demanded, pointing a talon at the griffin accusingly.

“Be gone bird, or I may get hungry for some breakfast,” Shaw said quietly.

“Who, who, who,” the owl laughed, “Perhaps I shall not warn you then.”

“Warn me of what,” Shaw asked in curiosity.

“I am Strix, the guardian of dreams,” the owl said, “and I have a gift for you, and a warning.”

“Say your piece, and be gone,” Shaw said.

Dropping a perfectly round stone at Shaw’s feet, the owl returned to its perch. “He who reigns under all, has sent for one of you,” the owl warned.

“Why should I believe you, bird?” Shaw asked.

“My cousins have already bestowed upon you a gift,” Strix hooted. “Now wake the others and make haste, if you reach the winding one, he’s promised to grant you safe passage to the start of your journey.”

“How do I use your gift, Strix,” Shaw asked in confusion.

Strix said nothing but instead swooped overhead, until he disappeared leaving behind only a few feathers and some grey mist. As the mist dispersed, Strix’s voice echoed through the night air, “Flee and make haste to the winding one. The stone will aid you when you need it.”

Placing the stone in his bag, Shaw shook Sir Stouthorn. “Rise, we need to leave immediately,” he said.

Groggily, Sir Stouthorn rose. “Waking us up a little early eh, Shaw,” the knight asked a bit perturbed that his dream had been interrupted. It had been ‘The Dream’. Yeah you know, the one where he saved the twelve princesses from a tower full of nightmarish creatures. Right before receiving his reward, he was woken up, and now he wasn’t feeling very happy about it.

“I’ve just received a warning from Strix, the guardian of Dreams,” Shaw explained.

“What, Strix himself warned us!” Sir Stouthorn shouted. “Things must be desperate indeed.” Rousing everypony up, he banged on the soup pot from last night’s dinner. “Hurry, we must break camp as quickly as possible. Great misfortune is about to fall upon us.”

“Seafoam slowly blinked, his mind still addled from lack of sleep. “What are you talking about Sir Stouthorn?” he asked his mentor, slightly perturbed about the early hour.

“I was given a warning by Strix the guardian of dreams,” Shaw said, “he claimed that ‘He who reigns under all’ is after one of us, whatever that means. And that if we can reach the winding one he would grant us safe passage to the start of my journey.”

Shanks eyes went wide with fright when he heard Shaw speak. “Aroo, he howled. “The not-Darkpaw has come for us. The bad dogs are coming, we must run.”

Clover, using his magic to picked up the frightened pup, “Shanks, don’t worry we’ll protect you from them,” he said nuzzling the frightened diamond dog with his muzzle. Shanks appreciatively licked Clover in return.

Seafoam floated over to them, “Come on, let’s break camp and make our way to the winding one.”

Shaw felt confused by all these cryptic messages; he didn’t like not knowing where he was headed, all he wanted was his revenge against her. “Who exactly is the winding one anyways?” he asked.

Tightening his final saddlebag, Clover levitated a map in front of Shaw. “See the river that cuts right through the middle of the Everfree forest?” he asked.

“Yes,” Shaw replied.

“That’s Jormungandr’s Way,” Clover explained, “he must be promising to keep us safe until we can reach Londwhinium.”

“Fortunately for us,” Seafoam interrupted, “we are less than an hour’s trot, away from the river. Let’s make haste.”

Stomping out the campfire Sir Stouthorn smiled, “Come, and let’s see if we can make it in half that time.”

Hurrying, the weary and tired travelers left their dying campfire to escape their unknown pursuers.

*****

Ten minutes later, a large black hound pawed at the still shouldering ashes of the abandoned campfire. The crushed grasses all around the campsite each had their own story and scent. Smelling deeply, the beast smelt a unicorn possessing powerful magic, a griffin mated to a unicorn mare, a seapony far from home, and a minotaur both strong and proud. However, these were not the ones he was hunting. Smelling the ground further, he found a scent both familiar and foreign. The scent of the last Gem Biter. Pleased with his discovery, the hound as dark as death’s own shroud pulled back his head and released a howl. The howl cut through the early morning’s air like a scythe. In response, seven other howls just as terrible were returned. Satisfied that they were on the way, the great beast began running after its prey.

*****

The travelers were making excellent time towards Jormungandr’s Way, when a terrible howl echoed through the air, breaking silence of the Everfree forest. “The bad dogs are coming!” whined Shanks in fear. “Run, run, run. We must run!” Taking off as fast as he could, he ran towards the riverbed down the path.

“Arooooo!” a howl was heard to their right, left, and directly behind them. “Oh Celestia,” Clover exclaimed in terror, galloping as hard as he could.

By now, the party could see glimpses of the cruel beasts that were chasing after them. The thick brush and trees every so often would break away in patches showing their terrible dark forms.

“Huff, huff, huff. Shaw,” Sir Stouthorn said laboring under the weight of his armor. “See to Shanks safety. I’ll try slowing these knaves down.”

Nodding in agreement, Shaw flew on ahead. Spying Shanks running as fast he could, he called out, “Shanks, grab ahold of my claw.”

Shanks too frightened to understand keep running as fast as he could. “Buck it all to hades,” Shaw swore, narrowly missing the diamond dog pup. Making a second pass, he saw that the hounds were closing in fast. “With a shrill shriek, he opened his talons and dived towards the creatures. When they saw the griffin moving in for the attack, they started scattering.

Clover saw what Shaw was doing and lit up his horn, soon his whole body was flush with magic. Channeling as much power as he dared, he uttered a single word, “Grow!”

For miles around his position, plants all over the Everfree forest began growing at accelerated rates. In seconds, thorny thickets were on either side of the path. Clover smiled to himself when he heard the yelps of the beasts fighting against this new plant menace.

Flying high overhead Shaw gave Clover the thumbs up and flashed him a grin. “Clover that was amazing,” he said, rejoining them on the path. I think we’ll make it safely.”

“Where’s Shanks?” Sir Stouthorn asked in concern.

“I tried grabbing him, but he was too scared to listen,” Shaw replied. “So I thought I would help scatter these things to buy him time to cross the river.”

“Seafoam, get ready!” Sir Stouthorn commanded, flexing his mighty muscles in preparation. Nodding in agreement, Seafoam launched himself high into the air. Before landing, the minotaur punched the magic bubble as hard as he could, sending Seafoam flying high into the air.

“Shanks, hold on I’m coming for you,” Seafoam said, as he headed towards the river. Spying that the pup was running like Hades itself was after him, Seafoam adjusted his course landing near the pup. Grabbing hold of the pup, he launched himself back into the air. And not a moment too soon, as two of the beasts jumped out of the thorn wall, covered in blood and foaming at the mouth. Using his trident, Seafoam thrust it at the great hounds in an effort to get them to keep their distance.

Shaw flying overhead, saw that Seafoam was about to be overwhelmed by the hounds. Unfurling his rainbow hued wings, he dived towards the two beasts snapping at the seaponies fins. Spinning as he dived forward, his body formed a vortex of wind. When he hit the two beasts, they were flung to opposite sides of the path and deep into the thorny thicket now growing there.

“Seafoam, huff,” Shaw wheezed. “We’re almost home safe.”

From out of the thicket, one of the black beasts leapt on top of Shaw. On top of the griffin, it tried to get purchase of the griffin’s neck to break it. Right before its jaws snapped shut, the massive fists of justice belonging to Sir Stouthorn, punched the beast off of him and back into the dense thicket from where it came.

By now the dry river bed was before them, all they needed to do now was cross less than fifty feet and they would reach the banks of Jormungandr’s Way. All around him, Clover heard the bloodthirsty howls of the beasts that were after them. Knowing he had no choice, he would release the little magic he had remaining in him. Gathering all the magic he could, his horn and body became as radiant as Celestia’s own sun. Releasing all the pent up energy out through his horn, he spoke a single word before collapsing in exhaustion, “Burn!”

Immediately, all the plant life for miles around them burst into flames. The creatures caught in the thicket were now yelping in terror as the inferno was devouring the Everfree forest. Seeing the unconscious clover at his feet, Sir Stouthorn picked the unicorn up and began hoofing it as fast as he could to the banks of the waiting river. When his hooves touched the dry and smooth stones of the riverbed, he knew they were now safe. With the heat from the fire and smoke filling the air, he found it difficult to breathe. To his right, he saw Seafoam carrying the frightened Shanks, with his trident at the ready. On his left, he saw Shaw running besides him. Now halfway across the riverbed and with the towers of Londwhinium in sight, the knight pushed himself to keep moving. Looking behind him he saw that eight beasts each dark and terrible as a nightmare, were crossing the riverbed with the intent to kill them all.

Before they could move any further across the dried up Jormungandr’s Way, the largest of the hounds cut them off and snarled. Quickly checking his flanks, he saw that they were now surrounded. Placing the unconscious Clover down, Sir Stouthorn readied his ax for battle. Besides him, Seafoam and Shaw prepared themselves to fight for their very survival.

The great beast growled once, and then sat down on its hind quarters. The other seven followed its example, and waited. After a minute of looking at the oddly assembled group, the beast opened its maw. “I bid thee greetings, oh mighty warriors,” it said, its voice like a mountain grinding away at the earth. “For few have been able to withstand our might, and live to tell the tale. In honor of your bravery, might, and skill, tell me your names so you may be immortalized for all time.”

Sir Stouthorn winded and tired, raised his weapon threateningly, “Tell us your name fiend, so we may honor you when you’ve been slain and buried,” he said, defiant in the face of certain death.

Laughing, the mighty black beast opened its maw revealing rows of razor sharp teeth. “I am Scourge, the huntsdog,” he said. “No matter where my quarry shall hide, I will find them and destroy them. Come now mighty warriors, time to enter your eternal rest. I shall personally guide your souls to the great pit and beyond.”

“Oh is that so Scourge?” said a booming voice, shaking the earth like a torrent of crashing waters.

“Tell your master,” the voice commanded, “I may not be his enemy, but he shall not meddle in my affairs!”

“Who dares challenge the will of the Great Slave King?” Scourge snarled in defiance.

In response, the river bed began filling with water. Unsure of what was happening, Scourge looked around worriedly. Moments later the great hound looked upstream and saw to his horror, a raging torrent of water in the shape of a great serpent crashing down through the dry river bed. All the hounds attempted retreating before the torrent slammed into them.

Sir Stouthorn could only look helplessly as he saw the wall of water about to smash into them. Before they could move, the great serpent of water flooded and raged through the river bed. The raging river overflowed its embankment and extinguished the ranging flames burning the Everfree, and washed the hell hounds downstream. Almost as soon as it began, the river receded and once again became dry.

*****

Clover woke up dry and warm, the cave he found himself in was very cozy. Near the bed he was lying on, was a delicious smelling bowl of porridge and a few apples. Feeling his empty stomach urge him on, he began to greedily devouring the food. Once he had eaten his fill, he wondered out of the room and deeper into the cave. There he saw an enormous serpent coiled up on a soft cushion. Looking up at the creature, he saw that its soft blue scales seemed to almost be flowing like running water. Listening to it snoring seemed reminiscent of a running river. Clover sat down and watched as the great serpent slept. He found it strangely, very relaxing and allowed his mind to wander. He sat and thought of his master, and the cottage they shared in the woods. He thought back to the times before the all strife, before the elements warred with each other. Thinking, he wondered what had happened to his companions.

“Little pony,” a voice said, gentle and kind. “Your friends are all safe, for now. Did you enjoy watching me sleep?”

“Who said that?” Clover asked in surprise.

“I did little pony,” the great serpent said, opening its eyes and turning towards him.

Staring deeply into the grey eyes of the mighty serpent, Clover felt he might know all the secrets of the world. “Yes, I did enjoy watching you rest,” Clover said. “Thank you for your generous hospitality.”

“It was my pleasure my little pony,” the great serpent replied. “I can tell you, that you and your friends are about to embark upon a great adventure. If you succeed, you will help restore balance to Equestria. However, if you fail our world is doomed.”

“I don’t understand, great one,” Clover said in confusion.

“You will,” the serpent replied, “complete the task given to you by your master, and follow the path. It shall lead you to the answers you seek. One other thing, you need to find the pink unicorn and her dragon. Your quest requires their presence.”

“But why help us?” Clover asked. “We aren’t serpents.”

“Celestia isn’t the only one who loves her ponies,” the serpent replied. “Besides, we have all made a poor choice recently and now Equestria is suffering for it. You shall help correct that error, and bring the world back into balance.”

“All right,” Clover said. “Although, I don’t know if I’ll be of much use. I’ll go, and see your task to completion.”

“When you awake,” the blue serpent said, “relay this to your friends, there’s strength to be found in others, that you’ll never know alone. Also, when you see Celestia tell her that Jormungandr sends his regards. And that the Earth will be healed in its own time.”

“I will,” Clover replied.

“Wake up.” Jormungandr said his voice gentle and playful like a bubbling brook.

*****

Clover’s eyes shot open. Surrounding him were all his friends. Trying to get up, he stopped when his head started throbbing in pain.

“Thank the Lawgiver,” Sir Stouthorn said in relief. “I thought we had lost you for a while there.”

Shanks ran up to clover and began playfully licking his face, “Aroo,” he howled, “Shanks is so happy you’re awake now mister Clover.”

Seafoam smiled and helped the unicorn to his hooves. “Clover, are you up to walking?”
“Yes, I think I am,” Clover replied.

Shaw landed next to clover, “Good,” he said, “just over that hill lays Londwhinium. We finally made it.”

*****

Scourge woke up covered in blood and grime, trying to get up he found that none of his bones were broken. Gingerly testing out his muscles, he found he could move but was extremely sore. Calling out to his minions, he was rewarded with the calls of four of the other hell hounds. With his head held low, he began drawing a circle in the earth. Slowly, he used his claws to draw intricate designs inside and around the circle, until he was finished. Standing in a smaller circle away from the more ornate one he had drawn, he sat on his haunches and began howling a mournful tune, almost as if he was singing. Slowly each of the intricate patterns filled with an unearthly blue light, until each was illuminated. Slowly, the earth inside the large circle started coalescing into the form of a bipedal creature.

The creature was sitting in an ornate throne, and wearing an iron crown. Covering most of its hairless body was the pelt of his former master, being worn like a cloak. Covering the creatures lean torso were scars and weeping wounds. The creatures face obscured by the iron crown it wore on its head, revealed only dark shadows for eyes. Slowly, the creature opened them and looked down at the hound before it.

“Report Scourge,” the creature commanded, its voice devoid of all emotion and passion.

“Oh great Slave King,” Scourge said with his head bowed low, “forgive this weakling, for failing you.”

“Explain yourself Scourge,” the Slave King asked, his voice still unchanged.

“We had the last Gem Biter, and his companion’s surrounded,” Scourge replied, “when we set upon by the winding one.”

“Jormungandr,” the Slave King replied. “Hmm. Tell me Scourge, what message does he have for me?”

“That he is not your enemy,” Scourge said, “and that you are not to meddle in his affairs.”

“You did well my huntsdog,” the Slave King said. “Regroup with the others, and rest. I will send word with new instructions.”

“As you command oh great Slave King,” Scourge replied, as the image of the Slave King and circle collapsed back into the Earth once again.

Releasing a howl of fury, Scourge vowed he would not be denied twice.


Author's note:

My apologies gentle readers for my tardiness, with the latest entry of The Great Slave king. At over 8000 words long this chapter is the longest yet. I would like to thank each of you personally for reading and enjoying the story thus far. Knowing that I have brought you enjoyment with my humble story, makes writing this all the worthwhile.

Please note that Sir Stouthorn's Poem was adapted from the Mythical Hymns of Orpheus to the Moon. Chapter 9 The Fumigation from Aromatics.

Gentle readers, please continue reading and enjoying the story. Until next time.