• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 19,673 Views, 1,619 Comments

My Little Wesker - Iamdanny0



After Wesker is defeated, he finds himself in a strange land. A strange land known as Equestria.

  • ...
49
 1,619
 19,673

PreviousChapters Next
Albert Wesker and the Worst Memory

Albert Wesker and the Worst Memory

Author's Note: Procrastination ahoyyyyy! Only 6500 words to write for my assignments… and revision to be done for my two exams… and a 10,000 dissertation that I haven't even started……………. Enjoy a spot of Wesker! Another sombre chapter, that's how I roll. Beware, there is some sweary-sweary in this chapter so those of a delicate disposition imagine that there are nicer words in their place. Enjoy! The poem is by Alan Seeger, for those who are interested. Beta'd by Jack Kellar.

Black. Everything was absolutely, inescapably pitch black. Had he died in this bizarre land as well? Was this where he was meant to have been headed after the volcano before fate curtailed him and placed him within the unnatural folds of Equestria?

"No."

So much for his dramatic inner monologue… "Indeed, Miss Dark? Then why can't I see my own hand in front of my face? Shouldn't there be some sort of memory that I have to tediously relive and talk to you about?"

There was a moment's hesitation, so tangible that Wesker could sense it even in the total blackout. "I did plan to have you analyze another memory before you came to me… But another recollection was brought to my attention. One that you remembered before you opened your heart to the cowardly pony."

Wesker frowned, momentarily choosing to ignore the words pertaining to this other memory. "I did what? 'Opened my heart' to her?"

"You were semi-conscious and in the throes of delirium." The blond heard the faintest trace of amusement in the shadow being's voice. "You asserted that you perhaps deserved death for your deeds whilst you were human."

A snort escaped the former Umbrella employee. "Near-death has a way of turning the brain into a fine paste, especially near death experiences brought about by extreme stupidity." He halted suddenly as the implications of what he could have said hit him, "I didn't incriminate myself in any way, did I?"

"Not quite, but you certainly put forward the idea that you were not as you seemed. Particularly to the rabbit."

"I had an emotional one-to-one with the bunny?" Wesker sighed and slowly ran a hand across his forehead. "You're joking."

"I'm afraid not. You told him you were a monster. Which makes me wonder…?"

A scene slowly began to become illuminated around both Wesker and Dark.

"The making of an individual cannot rely solely on his triumphs. His worst moments and personal failings are just as responsible for the forging of his character."

Wesker recognised the hallway, but not the context in which he would be viewing this memory. "Outside Spencer's office?"

"You said to me when we first met face to face that you had no regrets or doubts, but when faced with the prospect of death, this one memory stood at the forefront of your mind."

The human scowled as he tried to think of what his worst possible memories could be whilst he worked at Umbrella. One stood out far beyond the others, flashing like a neon sign.

Wesker's worst fears were confirmed as he heard his own voice echo from around the corner, "Will, you worry far too much. This isn't high school; we're not being called to the principal's office."

The concerned voice of the mousy brunette came forth in reply, getting ever closer as they approached Spencer's office. "Yeah, I know. Instead of that, we're being called to the office of a megalomaniac that only calls us in when he wants someone 'taken care of'." Birkin accompanied the last three words with air quotes just as he appeared in the field of view of the current Wesker and an intrigued Dark. "I'd feel a hell of a lot safer if we just had to chat with the principal."

"You're being melodramatic, Will."

Birkin growled, "Fine, when was the last time he called us to a meeting like this on such short notice?"

Wesker hummed thoughtfully, rubbing a hand along his angular jaw, searching the comprehensive archive that was his brain and retrieving the relevant facts. "Three years ago. 1988."

The thinner man with the wispy facial hair nodded encouragingly, as though trying to motivate a toddler. "And what did he have us do?"

Wesker grimaced as he saw the point that Will was making. "Kill James Marcus."

"Exactly, Al. I'm telling you now, whatever happens in there will be a total shitstorm, and we'll be expected to clean it all up."

Both the real Wesker and his doppelgänger spoke at the same time, the former stating, "Will always had a nose for trouble," and the latter saying, "You're full of crap, Will."

On that note, both scientists stood in front of the office door with the brunette smiling nervously, "If I'm right, then you buy our coffee for the next week."

Wesker and his clone shook their heads in perfect synchrony, but only the dream version spoke this time, rapping firmly upon the wooden door. "Deal."

"Enter," a strong voice penetrated through the thick door. It was strange to think of a time when Spencer wasn't frail and decrepit, but that was relegated in importance by the real Wesker. He knew exactly what lay in wait, though his carbon copy didn't.

Caitlin Donnelly was tied to a luxurious chair, with her hands bound behind her back, as Spencer sat calmly at his desk, fingers steepled and a look of only mild curiosity on his face as he examined the scene before him. A pronounced and multi-faceted bruise had appeared on the Irish female's left cheek, and the cause of that was immediately present. Umbrella's head of security had an ugly reputation, and he was fully living down to it here. "Tell us who helped you, you treacherous fucking whore!" A vicious backhand whipped across the redhead's face and a pained yelp escaped the normally composed scientist.

In truth, Wesker himself did not actually remember the next few seconds, and viewing them in third person meant the scene was just as unfamiliar to him as it was to Dark.

He watched as, in one fluid motion, the dream Wesker removed his handgun from its holster underneath his immaculate white lab coat and fired five bullets into the skull of the violent security chief. The disconsolate thud of a body slumping onto the thick pile carpet punctuated the descent of the noise on the office into total silence.

As Caitlin attempted to recover from the interrogation she had just received, Wesker blinked numbly, as though exiting a trance, and Birkin stared at his friend much the way Wesker imagined he would had he just sprouted an extra head. Spencer, to his credit, didn't even flinch. The old bastard probably knew exactly what was going to happen twenty years in advance, Wesker thought bitterly. "Dr. Wesker… Security officers don't exactly grow on trees, you know."

The look of hope that appeared on Caitlin's face at the mention of his name was just as painful to Wesker now as it was then.

The only blonde in the room nodded faintly and shakily placed his Beretta back into its holster, all whilst casting uneasy glances in Caitlin's direction. "Duly noted, sir, but I'm sure we can afford to find a more competent and… composed person to take over his duties."

Spencer examined Wesker minutely for a tense few seconds. Eventually, he tilted his head in reluctant acceptance. "Indeed. He had been regularly stealing my parking space for the last five years, so I suppose his loss will have some benefits." He motioned to two similar looking chairs to the one which Caitlin found herself tied to. "Sit down, gentlemen."

Wesker raised a hand and silently declined the offer, pacing around the room like a caged animal. His close friend, being much less reserved about the offer, slumped into the comfy red leather, eyes wide and swiveling rapidly between Caitlin, Wesker and Spencer, as though he were trying to look at all three at once.

"I imagine you're wondering why I called you here," asked Spencer.

"Just a bit!" was Birkin's quick, nervous reply.

A tiny smile appeared on Ozwell E. Spencer's weathered, but still vaguely handsome, face. How far he was from the grave here, the present Wesker postulated. "Quite so, Dr. Birkin. I apologise for the lack of warning before my call, but, as you can certainly imagine, a situation has developed."

He pointed in towards the beaten female scientist, "The late…" a glance was thrown in the trigger-happy Wesker's direction and subsequently ignored, "Mr. Fernandez was attempting to conduct a one-to-one investigation with Dr. Donnelly."

Wesker snorted. "A 'one-to-one investigation'? With all due respect, sir, he was torturing her. What has she supposedly done?"

Spencer looked solemn as he leant back in his opulent seat. "I'm afraid there's no 'supposedly' about it, Dr. Wesker. We found her attempting to feed information about the Tyrant project to the US government."

The reactions of the two scientists could not have been more contrasting: Wesker merely halted his pacing, freezing in place and slowly turning to face his boss with a disbelieving sneer curling his lips. Birkin, on the other hand, practically exploded, "WHAT?!" He flew out of his seat, red-faced and fingers clenched so hard that Wesker was amazed his nails hadn't drawn blood, "The T-Virus is the result of thirty, thirty years of draft! The dossiers and reports are enough to get Umbrella permanently shut down and all of us researchers put in prison for life!" He took a calming breath and sharply spun to face the accused female. "Tell me it isn't true, Caitlin."

The redhead coughed weakly, splattering a small amount of blood onto her lab coat, which was already speckled with several similar stains. "Sorry to disappoint you, Birkin. It's true. I couldn't take it anymore."

"Unbelievable," Will spat out disgustedly, facing away from the female and taking a deep breath.

With his eyes firmly fixed on the ground and shades being dangled anxiously from a restlessly moving hand, Wesker spoke so quietly, his words were almost indistinguishable, "I thought you understood, Miss Donnelly. Petty moral qualms have no place in the breakthroughs that we were making."

"Listen to yourself, Wesker!" Caitlin began furiously, fighting against the obvious pain she was in. "'Petty moral qualms'? We were turning kidnapped children into monsters, conducting psychological torture on them and treating them like animals!" She finally raised her head and looked beseechingly at the blond. "Even you have to realise that is wrong, Albert."

Wesker couldn't reply, stung by how the emotion in the woman's voice reminded him unerringly, too unerringly, of nights the pair had spent together debating Umbrella's course of action… and conducting other activities as well. He had seen her as a pleasant distraction from the never-ending, laborious work in the labs. And now this betrayal…

Birkin spoke instead, "Life is simply a means to achieve power, Caitlin. What use would these children have in the real world? They would get old, get fat and die. At least here, they have the ability to be responsible for one of the greatest achievements in scientific history." He raised a hand as she scoffed in disgust and horror. "I won't deny that it makes me… uneasy as well. But great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice."

Donnelly sighed, "I can always rely on you to quote Napoleon and Nietzsche in the heat of the moment, Will." She groaned as she shifted in her seat. "I'll always believe I made the right decision. The world needed to know what was happening here… and someday, it will."

Wesker glowered as he moved to stand directly in front of her, "And they'll shriek and cry and point their fingers before allowing the same thing to happen elsewhere." The blond walked round and slowly picked up the incriminating documents, moving back round to wave them in Caitlin's face. "Even if you had managed to deliver this report, the leak could have been covered up and the people essential for the survival of the Tyrant Project and Umbrella would survive and set up shop elsewhere." He leafed through them absent-mindedly, whilst averting his eyes from her. "This little exercise in martyrdom was as pointless as it was stupid."

The female didn't back down in the slightest at those words. "What's it like to have to have so little faith in humanity that you're willing to give up your own for the sake of ideas, Albert?"

Caitlin's question was deflected aside by Wesker, "I see a future in these ideas, and I see no future for humanity… at least not one worth pursuing."

Spencer, who had so far been quietly watching the entire exchange with a small degree of intrigue, finally interrupted, "You know what you have to do, Dr. Wesker."

A kernel of doubt formed behind the previously impenetrable mask worn by Albert Wesker. "Sir… We don't have to…"

"Do not allow your personal feelings to cloud your judgement, Dr. Wesker; you know the standard operating procedure for dealing with class A spies."

"I do, sir, but… she has close family ties, questions will be asked if she…" The desperation in Wesker's voice was increasing exponentially as he continued, "Listen, we can just terminate her contract and allow her to leave the company's employment. She has no chance of gaining access to confidential documents and no government or organisation will act upon nothing but the word of an unemployed scientist..."

"Albert." Spencer's voice cut through his subordinate's rambling arguments with the precision of a laser beam. "You are fully attuned with the methods of the USS. You are fully aware that we are capable of removing all suspicion surrounding Dr. Donnelly's death from the company. I, for my point, knew the whole time that you were intimate with this woman, and I tolerated it due to my firm confidence that you would not allow such a relationship to cloud your judgement.

"I now offer you the opportunity to execute this traitor to Umbrella, safe in the knowledge that you are protecting both the company's interests and your own position here." Spencer paused briefly. "I also gave you this chance because the alternative is the utilisation of Dr Donnelly as a test subject for the Tyrant Project." He drummed his fingers on the desk. "I assumed you would be opposed to this course of action, so I additionally grant you the ability to show her mercy."

After remaining frozen for a significant number of seconds, Wesker nodded slowly. Replacing his glasses, he removed his firearm and pointed it extremely unsteadily between the eyes of his lover.

Caitlin smiled sadly. "I know a catch 22 when I see one. Can I say a few words before you do what you have to?"

Wesker suddenly found that his throat was very dry and his body was shivering. He nodded. "Of course."

Coughing once more, Caitlin Donnelly began to talk, "It's a poem, and I know how much you love poetry." She chuckled weakly until it turned into a wet-sounding cough, and Wesker gave a very thin, strained almost-smile in return. "It's called 'I Have A Rendezvous With Death'."

Clearing her throat once more, she started to speak, her accent causing the words to roll softly off her tongue:

"I have a rendezvous with Death
At some disputed barricade,
When Spring comes back with rustling shade
And apple-blossoms fill the air -
I have a rendezvous with Death
When Spring brings back blue days and fair.

It may be he shall take my hand
And lead me into his dark land
And close my eyes and quench my breath -
It may be I shall pass him still.
I have a rendezvous with Death
On some scarred slope of battered hill,
When Spring comes round again this year
And the first meadow-flowers appear."

Her voice faltered for a moment as she approached the final verse, but she rallied and continued, leaving Wesker standing numbly in front of her, the pistol hanging loosely by his side.

"God knows 'twere better to be deep
Pillowed in silk and scented down,
Where love throbs out in blissful sleep,
Pulse nigh to pulse, and breath to breath,
Where hushed awakenings are dear...
But I've a rendezvous with Death
At midnight in some flaming town,
When Spring trips north again this year,
And I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous."

Wesker was left utterly bereft as he unsteadily and sloppily raised the firearm in front of him as Caitlin spoke once more, "Suppose they would have been good words to finish on, right?" She raised her head defiantly, squared her shoulders and looked Wesker directly in the eyes, "I hope you'll realise one day that you don't have to be the monster this company wants you to be."

The blond didn't react strongly to her words; instead he gently tightened his grip upon his handgun and spoke three words, "I'm sorry, Caitlin."

A single gunshot echoed several times through the office and the hallways outside.

Wesker replaced his weapon in its rightful place and departed instantly. He most certainly did not wish to spend another second within the confines of Spencer's office. Birkin rapidly hurried to his feet and follow his friend out the door. The real Wesker, who had been naught but a still and dispassionate observer the entire time, followed suit with Dark in tow.

Birkin led his friend away from the scene with an arm around his shoulder, the tall blond offering no resistance to the proximity. The last thing the spectator version of Albert Wesker or Dark heard before the whole location faded to black was the dream-Wesker speaking, "You're not getting a single one of those damn coffees."

In the void once more, Dark asked, "What effect did this have upon you?"

Wesker heaved a sigh. "I can tell you the relatively immediate aftermath."

"Please do."

"I got into my car after work and drove for hours, until I reached Chicago. I went into a bar and waited until I saw a woman who looked similar enough to Caitlin, then I seduced her and was intimate with her. Immediately afterwards, I got into my car again and drove back home. I left no way for the woman to contact me."

"So you could have had a child from this coupling?"

"Even if I did, it doesn't matter. No doubt he, or she, will never have heard of me. Even if they did, it would be nothing but the story of the monster who tried to destroy the world."

"So, is this your sole regret?"

Wesker chuckled mirthlessly. "I do not regret it. I made my choice and I own the decision just as I own every memory I possess. You heard yourself the options I was given: kill her or experiment on her." He exhaled heavily. "Besides, I have no sympathy for the action she committed. I admire her bravery in the face of oblivion, but her trying to cross Umbrella's path was a fool's errand. Few ever lived after doing so."

The wispy simile of a woman gazed contemplatively at the avatar of the one whose mind she was linked to. "I see, Albert Wesker. I won't take up any more of your time, then. Farewell."

"Goodbye for now, Miss Dark."

With that, Wesker left the recesses of his past and returned to the world of Equestria.

PreviousChapters Next