• Published 30th Mar 2012
  • 34,790 Views, 2,416 Comments

Wayward Courier - Speven Dillberg

  • ...
79
 2,416
 34,790

09

When I came to, I was in a cell. And they’d taken my helmet, my coat and my weapons. Even the Magnum tucked into the back of my pants. Oh, and all my chems and food. I also had a mild hangover and a massive headache from where I got kicked. According to my Pip-Boy, I had a concussion and I’d somehow taken 148 Rads.

As for the cell, well, it was definitely comfortable, as far as cells go. Something you could call a bed, except it was a bit short for me, was on one of the walls. A small bowl, I’m guessing it was so I could take a shit or something when I needed to. A small window, with bars of course. And they’d left me an apple on the ground, too. Nice of them.

So, I took the apple and took a look out the window. Don’t know what I expected to see, but what I did set me on edge. There were a bunch of ponies walking around in armour. I showed you the Legate’s Armour, right? The stuff I took off Lanius? Well, it looked a bit like that. Only a bit. It seemed a lot more... decorative, I s’pose. Also, the helmet was completely open, and the plume was blue and seemed to run along the body, if that makes sense.

Taking a closer look, though... I felt very stupid about what I did. Five seconds of closer inspection was enough to tell me that they looked nothing like Legion. And I had punched one of them in the throat. After I had cracked my bottle of absinthe over his head. I was especially upset about that. I’d only had half the bottle when I did that!

I was actually happy when the sound of someone clearing their throat behind me got my attention. Something to take my mind off what I had done, y’know?


Princess Celestia was old, there was no denying that. She had seen Equestria arise from three tribes squabbling over resources to a proud kingdom that spanned thousands of miles. She had fought the Avatar of Disharmony, countless demons, even her own sister after her unfortunate demonic possession. She had held talks with Griffons, Minotaurs, Buffalo, Diamond Dogs and even the elusive Sea Ponies.

So to say that there was something in the castle’s dungeons that had never been seen before anywhere in Equestria was strange. She was sure, at first, that it was simply something that had been lost to the mists of times and had only just resurfaced. Her first thought was that maybe it was a Flutterpony, she hadn’t seen one in centuries. Or perhaps a Grundel?

What was in the cell, though, wasn’t a Flutterpony or a Grundel. It was closer to a Minotaur, but the torso was much slimmer. Bipedal in nature, and wearing much clothing. What little hair she could see atop its head was a gentle brown, messy and unkempt. Its face had a number of scars, the most noticeable one that ran the from the bottom of the left eye to the top of its lip in a curve. What she noticed most, though, when it turned to face her, were the eyes.

They are called the windows to the soul, and for good reason. What she felt, in the depths of the dull green orbs, was something she had never truly expected. Immeasurable pain and suffering, both felt by the creature and inflicted upon others. Deep sorrow and hatred, directed at the same target. A burning desire to right any perceived wrongs. Perhaps the most significant, though, was hope, a shining beacon in his heart that guided his actions.

A simple look in his eyes told her that there was no-one on this world, Pony, Griffon or otherwise, who had the slightest idea what he had been through. Not even her.


This one... well, it was interesting. A perfectly white coat, a horn that could be used a weapon without resorting to flash-ghoulifying someone, and wings that actually seemed somewhat functional. I didn’t see the wings in use, but they certainly seemed that way. The mane and tail, though, they were the interesting parts. They seemed to move on their own, like there was a wind that I just couldn’t feel. Also, shiny. I’d also bet that if I were to stick my hand in there I’d immediately absorb a lethal dose of Rads. She was wearing a crown and lots of jewellery, and was a lot taller than all the others I’d seen before. I assumed that she was unique, which wasn’t exactly the case.

Oh, and we talked for a bit. I was in a cell, it’s not like I could go anywhere.


Greetings,” Celestia said cautiously, subtly making her words understandable to all.

Nice to meet you,” he replied, taking a bite of the apple.

Ah, Zebrican, Celestia thought. That makes things easier.Nice to meet you too, the alicorn replied cordially. “I am Princess Celestia.

And I’m the Courier.

The Princess rose an eyebrow. “That’s more a title than a name,” she said, an eyebrow raised. “But I’m sure you have your reasons” she added with a smile.

He shrugged as he chewed on his apple. “I used to be a courier, it kinda stuck. Not that I mind.” He swallowed his mouthful and wiped his mouth with his arm. “Besides, couriers are the backbone of the Mojave. We make or break towns.” He let out a chuckle as he took another bite. “You don’t mess with the guy who delivers your mail.

Celestia decided that statement was far from important and decided to ask something that had worried her. “I understand you were brought here for attacking a member of my guard.” Before she could get any further, he raised a hand and interrupted her.

And I want to apologise for that. I was drunk, and I thought they belonged to Caesar’s Legion.

Twilight mentioned that you were a soldier,” Celestia said quietly. “Is that who you were fighting, this ‘Legion’?

Technically, I’m a civilian contractor. I fought the Legion because they were a fanatic pack of rapists, slavers and murderers that had united under a single banner and gotten their hands on some powerful weapons.” Centuries of practice was the only thing that let Celestia stop herself from showing her horror. “They based their armour, structure and culture on an ancient civilisation. Right down to treating women as animals and nailing people to crosses.

If that is the case, then I am glad that you fought against them,” the alabaster alicorn replied, keeping her rage under control. For a matriarchal society like Equestria, the idea of females being treated as anything less than equal was one that had very nearly led to warfare in the past. “I’ve heard that you’re responsible for the deaths of two dozen Diamond Dogs?

That many?” he asked. “Thought it was less. Not that it matters, they got what they deserved,” he said with a shrug.

Celestia was taken back by his brutal honesty and disregard. “You do not care that you took the lives of those with families?” she asked. While the topic would have repulsed anypony else, having lived for who knows how long had the benefit of insulating one from the horrors that could be found in the world.

The way I see it, they lost any rights they had to be called ‘people’ the moment they decided to enslave children,” he replied. The hate and anger in his voice was astounding, so much so that Celestia was tempted there and then to search his soul for any trace of a demon akin to the one responsible for the creation of Nightmare Moon. “They should be thankful I ended them swiftly.

How can you be so comfortable with murdering?” Celestia asked. In her long life, she had seen countless vigilantes, and was curious about his reasoning.

Murder?” he asked. “It’s not murder when you kill someone so drugged up they don’t know what’s real, that’s mercy. It’s not murder when they attack you first, that’s self-defence. It’s not murder when you know they’ve killed innocents, that’s justice. And it’s definitely not murder when they’re slavers. That is a service to the world,” he finished, locking eyes with the Princess.

The passion and drive behind his words, as well as the experience she could feel, was more than enough to convince her that he honestly felt that way. “I see,” she said neutrally.


In a carriage of the Friendship Express to Canterlot, six mares shared a compartment.

“What do you mean, you told the Princess he was a psychopath!?”

“That’s because he is! You saw the way he killed them Diamond Dogs!”

“He did that to save Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo!”

“And he saved me from a pair of manticores! How could you betray him like that!?”

“You said yerself you thought he was gonna kill you!”

“Girls! I am trying to concentrate!”

“And he threatened me with one of his strange metal weapons things!”

“After you bucked him in his stallionhood!”

“What the hay, AJ!?”

“Ah thought he was gonna hurt Twi!”

“Will you keep it down!?” a male voice yelled out from the next compartment.

“Sorry!” Twilight yelled back. “Great, now look what you’ve done!” she hissed.

Me? Oh, Ah’m sorry, didn’t realise it was me that brought a mass-murderer to Ponyville!” the farmer said.

“He is not a mass-murderer!”

“Will you keep quiet!?” exclaimed a mare that was pinker than any living thing had any right to be. “I am trying to plan a party!”

“Are ya serious, Pinkie? Ya’ll plannin’ a party for that monster?”

“Shut up or I will have you thrown off this train!” came the male voice again.


Author’s Notes:

Am I rubbing the whole “matriarchal society” thing in a bit too hard?

And that is my actual justification for what my Courier does in-game. Self-defence, mercy, justice and services to humanity. For the most part.