• Published 30th Mar 2012
  • 34,815 Views, 2,416 Comments

Wayward Courier - Speven Dillberg

  • ...
79
 2,416
 34,815

08

Let me tell you, people take low-light optics for granted. I could barely see three feet in front of me without the damn things. Seeing the Dogs had started throwing spears, I’m glad.

The whole set of caverns was illuminated, barely, by gems sticking out of the walls. Apparently, perfectly natural there. We were practically led there by those Dogs attacking us. That’s what I don’t get. I managed to tear through at least fifteen of the damn things. Why did their buddies think they stood any sort of chance?

I was on to my last magazine for my submachine gun before we found them. And of course, they were guarded, two Dogs for each pony. There was no way I could just shoot my way through that situation. Odds were, I’d hit one of them, even with VATS.


The mare could only watch as her human companion blazed a trail of bloody destruction through the Diamond Dogs as though they were made of paper. Each one he had ruthlessly, effortlessly killed, dodging around the spears that were sent in his direction with ease. Somehow, the entire situation was made worse by the fact that he didn’t even seem to see the corpses, walking on and over them as though they weren’t there. She was just glad that she could barely see in the gloom. She was sure that her nightmares would be filled with these images and that being able to actually see them would only makes them worse.

Twilight didn’t know how many the Courier had eliminated, but they eventually found what they had come down into the caves to find. Her heart sank at what she saw. The three fillies were there, along with six Diamond Dogs. The fillies themselves were locked behind barred doors, covered in dirt and cuts. “Twilight?” Apple Bloom asked timidly. One of her eyes had been swollen shut and she was holding a leg awkwardly. “Is that you?”

The unicorn could almost feel the Courier shaking with rage besides her. “They hurt them. They fucking hurt them.” He dropped his weapon and pulled the other, sleeker one of his back. “They’re gonna pay,” he growled.

Wait,” Twilight said, hoping to halt his murderous rampage. “We should try talking first.

The Courier seemed to glance at her. “Try if you want. I think we’re past that, though, he replied harshly. “They try anything, I’ll have a few new coats.

The mare couldn’t stop herself from shivering at the way he said that. She couldn’t help but wonder just who was the bigger threat here, the Dogs or him. She cleared her throat and turned to the Dogs. “Let the fillies go and we won’t hurt you.”

The Diamond Dogs laughed. “Let them go?” one of the asked. “Little ponies work for us now!” responded another. In the gloom, she had a little trouble identifying the speakers.

“Hey!” the orange pegasus filly, Scootaloo, yelled out. “We don’t work for nopony!” The Dog nearest her shoved the butt of his spear through the door and slammed her in the face with it. As she rolled away, holding a hoof to the newest bruise, there was a loud bang and a yelp of intense pain.

Twilight turned to see the Courier looking down the scope of his weapon, the small metal ‘barrel’ smoking slightly. She followed the line of sight and was horrified to see that one of the Diamond Dogs, the one that had just struck Scootaloo, was clutching a leg that seemed to have exploded. Even in the gloom, she was sure that she could see bone between the Dog’s claws.

The next one to hurt one of the girls isn’t getting back up again, he said menacingly, forgetting that Twilight was the only one who could understand him.

Understandably, the Diamond Dogs were scared. The strange being, clothed in armour unlike anything they had ever seen and wielding a weapon of frightening power, had just incapacitated one of them with minimal effort. They couldn’t understand what he had said, but they didn’t have to. His tone said it all: I will kill each and every one of you.

As one, they all agreed to do the reasonable thing. One of them opened the door to the cell the fillies were in as the rest lowered their spears. “Go,” one of the said. “Leave and take monster with you,” another growled.


All it took to get them free was to horrifically maim one of their captors. And slaughter the ones in the way. Quite honestly, it was a lot easier than I was used to. Typically things would end with me covered in blood and the hostages close to death.

Twilight still carried them out, though. At least two of them were too injured to walk on their own, and they were too tired anyway. It’s probably a good thing it was so dark in those caves. I think the last thing such innocent children needed to see were bodies.

And that’s the thing. Every child in the wastes, from DC to The Hub, has at least some concept of death. True, it could just be one of the Brahmin on their ranch getting killed by a wild dog. But, y’know, more often than not they end up having to defend themselves against raiders. I’ll be honest, I was a little jealous. Who knows how we would’ve turned out if we’d been born and raised in a place like Equestria?


Twilight was just glad to be out of the caves. No doubt in her mind now, they would definitely be the setting of the next nightmare or ten she would have. She was just glad, though, that they had gotten the fillies out safe. She turned to the Courier. “I’m glad that’s over.

The Courier, who had since taken off his helmet, stared at her in shock. Then he placed the palm of his hand on his face. “You did not just say that,” he groaned.

“Miss Twilight, what’s wrong with tha alien?” Applebloom asked, looking at the human curiously. Sweetie Belle was a little too scared to look at its face, instead taking note of its odd apparel. Scootaloo, being Scootaloo, was looking at him in awe.

“I don’t know,” the unicorn replied. “Mr. Courier, is something wrong?

He shook his head before replying. “No, no, just...” He sighed. “Just trying to remember which is stronger, whiskey or absinthe.

Absinthe,” Twilight shot off without a thought. “And how is that relevant to anything?” she asked, her brain catching up to her mouth.

Because I need a really strong drink,” he replied angrily, still being vague enough to confuse Twilight.


We got back to the town, again me using a Stealth Boy. Hey, the last thing I needed was a complete freak-out by the locals. Besides, how do you think they’d react to you? No offense, but, well... yeah.

We got back to the library, and I was told to go inside and wait. Twilight wanted to take the girls back to their families. At the time, I didn’t think much of it. After all, I had just saved three children from a fate worse than death. So, I went in, sat on the ground and waited. With a bottle of absinthe.

Halfway through the bottle, I realised that the two ponies Twilight had sent to get help never did anything of the sort. I was a little drunk, so I didn’t understand just how significant this was. I know, stupid.

Twilight was back soon enough. Said the families were just happy the girls were safe. Couldn’t ask for more, except maybe some sort of self-defence training. Then someone knocked on the door.

When she opened it... I’m not proud of what happened next, I’ll admit that. Honestly, though, that’s why I’m not taking you to Jacobstown. You’d react just like I did. Doesn’t help that I was more than a little drunk.

And so, on my fifth or sixth day there, no idea which it was, I got kicked in the head by a member of the Royal Guard and arrested for assault. I wasn’t awake for the arrest, mind you. I got told that happened later.


Author’s Notes:

Can anyone guess why he tried to hit a Guardpony?

And what's this about the person he's talking to, hmm?