• Published 30th Mar 2012
  • 34,794 Views, 2,416 Comments

Wayward Courier - Speven Dillberg

  • ...
79
 2,416
 34,794

15

Author’s Note:

I will be removing the green text from segments where the only language being spoken around the Courier in the one he can understand. Too much effort otherwise.


So I freaked out a bit. You have any idea what it was like, finding out you might not ever be able to get back? What, really? Wow. That... I don’t know what to say. Shit, makes you think, doesn’t it?


Luna was a little shocked at what she was seeing. Every indication was that this being, the Courier, was a cold, calculating, occasionally blood-thirsty warrior. And there he was, sifting through the chest futilely in a complete panic as though doing so would make his “Transportalponder” appear. “It has to be here, it has to be here, it has to be here...,” he repeated over and over.

“Is it truly such a bad thing?” Luna asked, approaching him slowly. “From what you have said of your home - ”

“The Mojave needs me. And I need it.” He turned to her, surprising the princess when she saw tears running down his face. “I don’t belong here. Your world, it’s peaceful, everyone gets along. The violent ones are the minority.” He wiped the tears away before continuing. “Violence is pretty much all I know. It says something when the best person a place has to offer has the blood of hundreds on his hands, doesn’t it?”

If Luna was shocked by this, she didn’t show it. “You find yourself bound by duty to your home,” she said, bowing her head slightly. “It’s not that you want to return, but you feel you have to.”

“Something like that. No telling what the NCR would do without someone speaking for the people. The King can only do so much.” He stood up and turned his Pip-Boy’s screen back down. “Can’t believe I freaked out like that...” he muttered.

“Your city is run by a king? But I thought you said it was part of this Republic?” the alicorn asked, curious as to how something like this could happen.

“He leads a group that call themselves the Kings. They’re sort of the local law enforcement, make any problems... disappear.”

Luna followed the human as he left her room. “One king that controls many kings? What a strange thing,” she mused. “I expected you to be much worse than this, given your situation.”

“This isn’t the first time I’ve found myself trapped somewhere. I was lucky to get out alive. I don’t really have to worry about that here,” he said conversationally.

“Oh?” It was clear that Luna was very curious about this. “Could you tell me?” she asked. “Court is very quiet at night, and I find myself bored quite often.”

The Courier looked at the alicorn for a moment. “In the Mojave, everyone knows the story of the Sierra Madre Casino. The legend, the curses. Foolishness about it lying in the middle of the City of the Dead, buried beneath a blood-red cloud. A bright, shining monument luring treasure hunters to their doom...”


Yeah, I told her about my ‘adventure’ in the Sierra Madre. First time I gave someone pretty much the whole story, too. I usually just tell people that I locked Elijah in the vault under the casino and leave it at that. What I really did, though... Yeah, I don’t like talking about it. That fuck nearly got me killed a dozen times, easily, it only felt fair. I think Veronica would give me a good beating, too.

Anyway, she found the whole story very... entertaining. Turns out, she likes dark, messed-up things. She was Princess of the Night, so I guess that made sense, but that doesn’t mean that you can think the Red Cloud is a good idea for a weapon! It is, but I’d rather be crucified than go through that again.


Solid light still sounds too far-fetched for me,” Luna said, eyeing the human skeptically. “The power requirements for one would be extraordinary, let alone enough to staff a small resort.

It is,” he replied, sitting on the ground next to her throne. “I think that’s what caused the Red Cloud, personally. Dean thought otherwise. And how is that crazier than a pack of two-century old zombie-things that can’t be killed?” the Courier asked back.

I have faced many foul things in the past, Thomas,” the alicorn replied with a smile as she used his actual name. “Resurrected corpses are not the worst by far.

They weren’t dead, though,” he said back. “And they definitely weren’t alive, either,” he continued with a shudder. “I don’t know what they were. Can we talk about something else?

How about what you did to this... Elijah, did you say his name was?” Luna asked.

What I did...” He then proceeded to describe, in rather intricate detail, the gruesome things he did to the old man. They were so bad that the one Night Guard who could understand Zebrican seemed to pale under his armour and was wishing he had taken a different language. “Then I sealed him in the vault under the casino,” the Courier concluded.

Luna was wide-eyed. Never in all her years had she heard of such horrible things, and she had fought Discord! “That... surely he did not deserve all that!

He sent hundreds to their death in an attempt to get technology that would wipe the entire Mojave out. Before that, the organisation he was in command of lost more than half their number defending something they couldn’t even use. He only wanted one thing, and he was prepared to murder every living thing in his way to get that.” The Courier stared blankly at the doors to the throne room. “He wanted the treasures of the Sierra Madre. I gave that fuck all the time in the world,” he finished darkly, a twisted smile distorting his features.

“Your highness,” an armoured pegasus said as he approached the throne. He was wearing the purple, curved armour of the Night Guard, the eye set in the middle of the chest-piece polished to a gleaming finish. He ruffled his bat-like wings as his golden eyes flickered over the strange flat-faced biped sitting casually next to his princess. “We have finished investigating the chest your guest’s belonging were originally placed in.”

“What did you find, Private?” she asked, sitting up straight.

“There were three magical signatures on the lock, Princess. One was yours, the other belonged to your sister.”

“Who did the third belong to?” Luna asked, already suspecting the worst.

“We don’t know, your highness.” The poor stallion gulped before continuing. “We suspect this unknown individual is the one who stole your guest’s device.”

Luna’s expression turned stormy, and the Courier leaned away as his Pip-Boy began to tick. “Uh, Princess?” he asked carefully.

“Someone had the gall to ENTER MY ROOM!? AND TOUCH MY BELONGINGS!?” she bellowed in the Royal Canterlot Voice. The poor private in front of her was sent flying through the still-open doors of the throne room. “THEY MAKE A FOOL OF ME AND EXPECT TO GET AWAY WITH IT!?” she asked as she vacated her throne and stomped forward. She looked around to the assembled guard, who seemed completely unphased by their princess’ fury. “BRING ME THE DEFILER OF MY PRIVATE SANCTUM! THEY WILL REGRET EVER THINKING OF DOING WHAT THEY DID! she ordered to the assembled stallions and mares.

What’s going on?” the Courier asked, hands covering his ears to try and compensate for the volume.

My room was broken into, and your device stolen," she replied angrily, her voice now at a more normal volume. All around them, the ponies of the Night Guard were scrambling into action.

Stolen?” he asked back, equally furious. As he stood, his face twisted into a fierce scowl akin to the one he would wear when the Legion tried to kill him. “They are fucking dead."


Author’s Notes:

Again, I am upset at the lack of options to make the text incredibly large. It would fit Luna’s outburst perfectly.

And that poor private. Bet he picked the shortest straw, huh?