• Published 9th Mar 2012
  • 26,661 Views, 1,214 Comments

Longest Night, Longest Day - RainbowDoubleDash

  • ...
33
 1,214
 26,661

i. The Immediate Aftermath [Epilogue 1]

The light that spread across Trixie’s prone form and forced her awake was cool, and seemed to spread gradually, more like fog than actual light. As her eyes fluttered open, she saw the Palace ruins around her, lit brilliantly by the full moon’s light –

Moonlight!

Trixie was almost instantly on all four hooves, and almost immediately thereafter had fallen back on her side after her body took the time to remind her that she was exhausted, drained both mentally and magically, and in all ways should not be trying to move as she just did. The blue unicorn took a few deep breaths to steady herself, then climbed onto her hooves at a more measured pace, casting her gaze upwards. Greeting her vision was a star-studded night sky, with a moon hanging high overhead. The moon looked different, however – emblazoned on it was a new pattern that had never been there before, a series of dark patches in the shape of a unicorn’s head and horn. Even as Trixie watched, however, the pattern disappeared in a flash.

“Huh,” Raindrops said. Trixie looked, and saw her companions – her friends – beginning to pick themselves up as well. “Wonder what that was all – whoa!” Raindrops had to leap backwards as two streaks, one mint green and white and the other pale gray and blonde, whipped past her, nearly bowling her over. As it stood, she was still clipped and sent staggering.

Neither Ditzy Doo nor Lyra seemed to notice as they rushed over to the collapsed foals and older ponies. Trixie’s heart fluttered at the sight of so many fallen ponies, and she rushed forward, her remaining friends following. She doubted that the Elements could have possibly harmed them, but Corona hadn’t seemed particularly cautious with her spell-casting prior to the end…even as those dark thoughts seeped into her mind, however, they were dispelled, as the merely unconscious foals and mares and stallions began to wake up, completely unharmed.

Though for two of them, at least, that looked like it may have been only a temporary thing. Lyra had found BonBon just as the mare had gotten her hooves under her, and impacted against her with slightly less speed than an unladen train engine with its furnace burning hotter than the fires of Tartaros, sending the two tumbling and ending with Lyra pinning BonBon to the ground, her lips pressed firmly to her love’s. Dinky Doo, meanwhile, once found by her mother, “suffered” a similar fate, scooped up into the pegasus mare’s forelegs and held tightly against Ditzy’s chest, Ditzy showing no signs of ever intending to let her daughter go. Tears were in no short supply, but they were tears of joy, not sorrow.

“Is everypony alright?” Cheerilee asked, as the rest of Trixie’s friends caught up to the group. Cheerilee moved quickly into the mass of foals, most of whom gathered around her familiar face, though several remained with the other adults, the ones “lucky” enough to have had relatives kidnapped by Corona as well. “Is anypony hurt?” As the foals all shook their heads or confirmed that they were alright – though scared – Cheerilee looked to Carrot Top and Raindrops, who were amongst the mares and stallions. “How about them?”

“Fine,” Raindrops announced as the adults all confirmed that they were alright. “Everypony’s okay.”

Trixie let out a sigh of relief at that, though her elation was short-lived as she forced her sleep-deprived mind – being forced to unconsciousness was not the same thing, as it turned out – to press forward.

First – she searched the ground near where she had fallen, and found her hat. It was covered in dirt and hoof-marks, a little frayed, and still somewhat damp, but Trixie ignored this as she removed the tiara she still wore – all her friends were, in fact, wearing the jewelry that the Elements had manifested as – and put her hat back on her head. After a moment’s consideration, she slipped the tiara on over it, and found to her surprise that the ornament fit rather snugly on her wizard’s hat, almost as though it was designed to be there.

That important part having been taken care of, Trixie turned her attentions to the next-most important matter. “Zecora,” she said, trotting forward and looking around. “Spike. Where are they?”

There was a moment’s pause, before Raindrops took to the sky, looking around. “I don’t see them,” she announced after a moment of searching.

“Ponyfeathers,” Trixie cursed. “No use searching for them now – ”

She paused as a flash of silver-white light spread across the courtyard. The ponies there all froze, looking in horror towards the flash’s source – the ruined tower of the Palace, the same place that Corona had fallen when the beam from the Elements had finally overtaken her. It was enough to tear Lyra’s eyes away from BonBon’s, and for Ditzy Doo to squeeze her daughter even tighter.

No,” Carrot Top whispered. “That’s…no.”

Trixie swallowed, as she looked to the formerly kidnapped mares and stallions, then to the foals, then to her friends. She grit her teeth. “Come on,” she insisted, setting off at a gallop. The other five followed her quickly, grim determination setting in.

Reaching the tower was easy, climbing it only slightly harder. The stairs were steep, but they were also stone, and had not worn away over time. The stairs they climbed brought the six Elements of Harmony inside after their climb. They ended up standing in a wide chamber, its roof having long disappeared over time. At its far end was a pedestal set in front of a shattered stained-glass window.

Standing just inside the entrance, her back to the Elements, was a pony, taller than most stallions, deep blue in coloration, with an animate mane tail that were like flowing water catching the reflection of the star-filled sky, possessed of both wings and a horn, and with a cutie mark of a black patch of night broken by a white crescent moon –

Luna!” Trixie exclaimed, forgetting formal titles. The Princess turned in time to see Trixie rush towards her, though the unicorn skidded to a halt before she could get too close, as memories of her last conversation with the alicorn came rushing back. Her mouth opened and closed a few times before sound came out, and Luna took the time to look at Trixie, then to each of her friends behind her, who had all bowed in respect. “H…hello, princess.”

Luna inclined her head. “Hello, Trixie,” she responded after a moment. To the blue unicorn’s surprise, Luna seemed just as unsure as Trixie herself was as to where this conversation should be going. After a long bout of silence, Luna looked at the tiara on Trixie’s head. “The Element of Magic,” she noted.

Trixie nodded. “Yes,” she confirmed. “It…it took me a little bit, but I finally figured out what you meant when you said that the sixth element was right beside me.”

Luna grinned slightly, though it was forced. “That’s…good,” she decided.

Trixie scuffed a hoof, glancing around a moment. “So…how did you know?” Trixie asked.

“Know what?” Luna inquired.

“Know about them,” Trixie responded, waving a hoof to her friends. “How did you know that they’d be beside me, five years ago? Did you know that Corona was going to escape? Was this some kind of plan, or something?”

Luna paused, a look of genuine confusion overcoming her features. It was matched, after several seconds, by Trixie’s own expression. “Trixie…” Luna explained, “I meant your cutie mark.”

Ha!” A magenta voice exclaimed. Trixie wasn’t certain how a voice could be magenta, but glancing behind her, she saw Cheerilee grinning broadly. The other five had risen from their bows, looking relieved that the silver-white flash had apparently just been Luna returning from exile on the moon, and not the signal to start another round with Corona.

Trixie turned back to her mentor. “But…” she objected. “But my cutie mark isn’t beside me! It’s on me!”

“On your side,” Luna noted.

“But not beside! This is just like that ‘always moves but never wanders’ riddle – ”

“A tree,” Carrot Top chimed in. She, along with the other ponies, made their way forward, so that they were standing next to Trixie.

The blue unicorn glared at Carrot Top. “Trees don’t move.”

“Yes they do,” Ditzy Doo explained. “They blow in the wind.”

“That’s doesn’t count as moving! And even if it did, it’s not always windy so they don’t always move!”

“Trixie, I heard that riddle when I was…one? Maybe?” Raindrops asked. "You're over-analzying it."

“Everypony knows the answer,” Lyra added.

“I know it too, it’s just that it’s a stupid answer,” Trixie grumbled.

Luna looked between the six of them, a far more genuine smile on her features at the antics of the ponies before her. “Congratulations,” she offered, starting to incline her head, then pausing as she thought better of it. She instead backed away a few paces, and actually bowed to the six ponies. The sight was enough to leave them speechless. “You saved Equestria,” Luna continued. “All of you, working together. More than that, you have earned the Elements of Harmony – No. You are the Elements, now. You restored them from their inert state, a feat even I couldn’t accomplish. And you did this in order to stand against a monster…against the Tyrant Sun, one of the worst enemies Equestria has ever had.”

Luna lifted herself up from her bow. Her expression had changed, her smile dropping and instead a look of melancholy coming over her features as she turned around, looking down the length of the tower’s room, as she had on first entering. “Now if you will excuse me,” Luna said grimly, “there is somepony that I must talk to.”

---

Celestia was in a considerable amount of pain, but she was alive. She was whole. And she was not trapped once more in her sun. As the alicorn forced her eyes to open, finding herself behind a stone pillar, she began laughing, ignoring that it hurt to do so.

“H…ha!” she exclaimed, climbing to her hooves. “N-not…n-not even the Elements can…can s-stop the Sun!”

“You are typically the more powerful one,” Luna admitted.

Celestia’s eyes widened, and she spun around, ignoring the ache in her body as she lashed out with magic, calling down a solar flare that burned her treacherous sister’s body to a crisp –

– or that was what was supposed to happen. Instead, only a few golden sparks escaped her horn, and even that took everything Celestia had. She nearly fell to her knees from the effort, but she forced herself to remain standing, though with her head drooped. Pink locks of hair fell down over her eyes – her fiery mane was gone. Her eyes would no longer be glowing either, she knew, instead having reverted to reverted to normal-looking ones, with pink irises.

And was it just her, or was Luna taller than she used to be…? No – the opposite. She was shorter than Luna, the consequence of having so much magic pulled from her at once. She would still be taller than many stallions – but not all.

Celestia grit her teeth and flared her wings in challenge. “S-so, sister…” she hissed. “Come…come to finish what the Elements c-could not? The s-sun again? I will escape. I will always escape! Though it take me a thousand years again, or ten thousand, or a hundred thousand! Equestria is still mine, it belongs to me!

Luna just looked at her, and a terrible clarity gripped Celestia as she realized what she would do if she were Luna and had just heard Celestia proclaim that. “No!” the white alicorn exclaimed, stumbling backwards, wings beating furiously as she tried to take to the air. They lifted her for a moment, but then their strength gave out and she fell once more to the ground. Her hooves scrabbled on the stone floor beneath her as she picked herself up and began running, towards the exit to this ancient palace – and finding her way blocked by the corrupted Elements.

“No!” Celestia proclaimed again, backing away, eyes wide – nearly as wide as their own as the Elements took in her changed appearance, her mundane mane and tail, her shrunken form. Looking away, looking once more for somewhere to run, she saw her sister coming out from behind the pillar Celestia had been at moments ago, the same look on her face.

Celestia grit her teeth, trying to call upon her magic. Sparks once more flew from her horn even as she backed away from the steadily advancing Luna. “No! Thou cannot!” she exclaimed. “I am the Sun! I am thy Queen! Thy elder! Thou has no right to judge me! Equestria is mine! Mine to do with as I please – ”

“Celestia,” Luna tried.

– as is everypony in it!” Celestia continued, as she tried once more to call on magic. She was certain her mane and tail ignited even for the barest moment, as she continued to back away from Luna. “The ponies are like gnats! They need protection! A strong hoof – ”

“Celestia!”

“ – lest chaos reign! They are weak and mortal and do not know the dangers that surround them!” Celestia had backed herself against a stone pillar. She tried to move around it, but Luna was there, in front of her, faster than her considerably weaker senses could follow, wings spread wide and creating a wall. “Without me,” Celestia continued, “the griffins…the dragons…Discord…Tirek…thou were there, Luna! Thou knowest the world as I do! How canst thou deny my right? My cause is just! My – ”

Tia!

The name cut through Celestia’s tirade, and her defenses, like a hot knife through butter. She blinked several times. The word had possessed no magic, in and of itself, but…

…how long? How long since her sister had called her that? Longer than a millennium, certainly. She gazed upwards at Luna, who returned the stare evenly. For the first time, Celestia looked at her sister, and saw not murderous resolve, not treacherous intent, but…but sadness. Resignation.

Celestia lunged with her horn. Luna blinked, and Celestia’s entire body was wrapped in a midnight blue aura, her horn-charge stopped before coming anywhere near Luna’s throat. “Don’t…” Luna said, though her voice cracked. She paused, closing her eyes, before starting over without opening them. “Please, Tia. Don’t make me do this again. A thousand years ago, I thought I’d lost you forever and it destroyed me. But if this…if this is going to turn into some kind of cycle…” The princess paused once more, before opening her eyes and looking Celestia in the face. “We were meant to rule together, sister – ”

No!” Celestia shouted. “It’s mine! All of it! Everything! Mine! All mine!

Luna retreated several steps at the exclamation, eyes wide, as Celestia began struggling against Luna’s telekinetic grip. “Tia, you’re not well. You need help. Let me – ”

Release me! Release me or next time, I will not spare thee! Thou shalt burn!”

Luna blinked several times more, mouth hanging slightly open as she watched Celestia struggle, and cry out in anger. The princess was breathing heavily at the sight, and looked like she was on the verge of collapsing and just dying on the spot from sorrow at what her sister had become. After several long moments, however, her eyes narrowed, and she forced her breathing to steady. “Corona,” she proclaimed, ignoring the alicorn’s cries of protest about her name. “You leave me no choice. You will once more be banished to the heart of the sun. Escape, if you can, but next time, I will be waiting. I will be prepared.”

Celestia spat at Luna. “Thou shalt suffer!” she shouted, even as Luna’s horn began to glow brighter. “You shall all suffer for denying me my right –

Luna’s horn was glowing bright enough, now, to transcend its normal blue aura, and be glowing white instead. She opened her eyes – similarly gleaming with power…when a green-tinged cloud of particles passed in front of her face.

The princess stumbled backwards and out of the cloud, coughing and sputtering at whatever she had inhaled. Her concentration slipped, and Celestia fell to the floor, out of Luna’s magical grip, while Luna’s own magic spun wildly out of control, sending off jets of light and power in random directions. Several nearly struck the Elements of Harmony, but their accessories glowed, and created a barrier against the unintentional assault, protecting them.

Celestia lifted herself to her hooves, intent on charging forward with her horn once more, when she felt the presence of a pony beside her. Glancing, she saw Zecora, once more wearing her brown cape, and with an unconscious Spike on her back. “Quickly, your majesty!” Zecora exclaimed, as she reached into her cloak and produced a bottle of a liquid that somehow managed to be striped blue and red, and unstopped it. “This brew will restore power to you!”

Celestia didn’t need to hear anything else, biting down on the end of the bottle and throwing her head back, swallowing the concoction in one fell gulp, ignoring its bitter taste. She felt it work almost immediately, but pathetically. It gave her only a fraction of her total power. Next to her sister she would still be weak as a foal, and now Luna looked like she was recovering from whatever Zecora had done to her, glaring angrily at the zebra and her sister.

Celestia was a very, very old alicorn, however, and however much it felt like a slap to her face, she knew when to fall back, make a tactical withdrawal, and any other euphemism one cared to think up for run away. Her horn glowed – still gold, not the pure white she preferred – and she wrapped herself in teleportation magic.

Almost as an afterthought, she included Zecora, and by extension Spike, in her spell as well. That made it twice that the zebra had forestalled disaster. Celestia would not let a follower like that go to waste. As for Spike…well, one never knew when brute, dumb muscle could be useful, and Spike was just that when Celestia forced him to age prematurely.

In a flash of light, Celestia was gone.

But she would return.