• Published 12th Nov 2013
  • 6,756 Views, 480 Comments

Empress Rarity's 250th Birthday - Lord-Commander



Today is the Birthday of the Empress of the Crystal Empire, Rarity Belle. Everypony is excited for the celebrations, that is everypony except for one...

  • ...
19
 480
 6,756

Chapter 8

A crack of thunder echoed from the valley as the wills of two powerful unicorns collided in a flash of magic. As the red dust settled, Rarity stood panting, trying her best to remain stoic as Sombra trotted in a circle around her, a maniacal grin splashed across his face. The air was heavy with heat, stifling Rarity’s ice magic with its oppression.

"You're in my grasp, Seamstress. From this place, there can be no escape," he hissed from over her shoulder.

Rarity shivered at the sound of his voice as he finished circling her, still wearing his trademark grin. She turned her attention back to him, anger filling her heart as she willed her armored visor into place. She knew he was taking his time, like a cat toying with their prey.

Growling in frustration, Rarity charged forward, determined to meet her fate head on with her hoof, if not her magic. But her assault was short-lived as Sombra caught her hoof and slammed the armored mare into the ground.

"I was trapped in your head for decades, Rarity. Centuries even. But no more," said Sombra as he pinned her down. “You really thought I wouldn’t know your every move?”

A brilliant beam of light erupted from Rarity’s horn, forcing Sombra to drop his hold on her. She leaped up and pressed her advantage with a second blast, but he countered with his own and the two began a brief contest of magical wills. A contest that Sombra won as his shadowy bolt engulfed Rarity and sent her flying backwards.

The first bounce knocked the wind out of Rarity. The second shattered the armor that protected her left shoulder. The third time Rarity hit the ground she stayed down, sliding to a painful, gritty stop.

“Come now, Empress,” chided Sombra, as Rarity struggled to get back on her hooves. “Aren’t you going to fight back? Come, fight me like a true Crystal Monarch and I promise you will die with some dignity.”

The Empress let out a laugh of her own, a bluff though it was, and grinned back at him. “What makes you think I even need to fight you? Princess Twilight is on her way to the Crystal Empire. When she finds that I'm gone, she'll come to rushing to my aid! She has this location spell that—”

Sombra raised a hoof, along with an eyebrow in amusement, before slamming it back down, sundering the ground between them. A cage, constructed from sheets of black crystal, burst up from the ground.

“What makes you think you’ll last that long?” he asked coldly.

Rarity looked at the black cage. The sheets of crystal were tinted so darkly that she could barely make out the shape of a pony prisoner within. Whoever it was ran to the closest edge of its cell, rose up, and banged away against the wall. It was then that Rarity was able to make out who was in the cage. It wasn’t that she recognized the pony by sight, but she recognized them by the sound of its voice and the prickly sensation of its wrath.

It was the Crystal Heart.

King Sombra leered at the Crystal Heart’s avatar before letting loose an animalistic roar. The pony immediately rushed to the opposite end of the cage and curled into a shivering ball. Anger swelled once more in Rarity’s chest.

“Now see here!” she barked, taking a defiant step forward.

Sombra watched Rarity from the corner of his burning eyes, but didn’t grant her his full attention. He grinned as he watched the shivering form within his dark cage.

“You care for it. Amusing,” he said flatly as he stared at the Crystal Heart. “Your bonding with the Heart is… unique. Desirable, even. Never before has a pony merged so perfectly with it. Such a bonding is curious to me, or would have been, once long ago.” He said those words in a way that Rarity, in her most generous of moments, would have considered to be regretful.

But his tone changed in an instant and he chuckled darkly before continuing. “It matters little now. Tell me, Rarity, do you think of yourself as immortal because you merged with the Crystal Heart? That such an act has made you unbreakable? Perhaps you fancy yourself a goddess?” His laughter stopped and at last he turned to face the pony of his ire.

“If so, then you are a fool.”

Dark magic surged from Sombra’s horn and struck the crystal that jutted out of the cage’s top. The inside of the cage suddenly burst into black flames. Rarity dropped to her knees as the pain washed over her. She opened her mouth to scream, but not a word could be uttered. She couldn’t find the strength. She could feel the flames as if they were burning her from the inside out. Rarity forced herself to look up through the pain and at the pony caged within the raging inferno.

The pony stood in the flames as if nothing was wrong. Its head was cocked to one side as it looked at the flames, experimentally poking at it with a hoof.

The flames died out as Sombra pressed down on the dry dirt with a hoof.

Rarity’s body ached with burns that she couldn’t see. Her armor was undamaged as far as burns went, but her flesh underneath felt tender and warm. Suffice to say, she was a very unhappy pony as she struggled to stand.

Sombra snorted derisively at her pain as a jagged clump of rock, like a mountain, began to rise into the raging inferno in the sky behind him. “Come then, Seamstress, take the Crystal Heart if you can. Provide me with some sport.”

“And if I don’t?” asked Rarity, ragged defiance in her voice as she slowly stood up on trembling legs.

“Then you will die,” he said flatly as a second wave of fire washed over the Crystal Heart, and Rarity’s forelegs dropped to their knees once more.

The sensation of licking flames passed. Rarity could once again focus on the world around her, but she found much to her relief and simultaneous dread that she was alone, excepting the pony in the black crystal cage before her.

Rarity took a moment to compose herself and focus her thoughts. Sombra had already proven himself to be a master of both illusion and emotional manipulation. Rarity knew that to think even for a moment that he was gone and she was safe would be most foolish, but she also knew that she needed to free the Crystal Heart, then get back to the Empire.

Never dropping her guard, Rarity approached the cage and tapped it with a hoof. The crystal it was made of felt unnaturally warm to the touch and left her hoof oddly numb. She didn’t want to think about what it must be like within the horrid structure, but it wasn’t hard to imagine, what with the way the Crystal Heart stumbled around within.

“Hello?” Rarity called out. “Can you hear me?”

The Crystal Heart stopped its awkward shuffling. It then looked around aimlessly until it saw the Crystal Empress on the other side of the cage. Rarity saw it try to respond, calling out desperately to her, but she heard nothing through the cage’s walls.

“I can’t hear you, Darling. Just… stay calm and I’ll get you out somehow, okay?”

The Crystal Heart tried to say something again, but to no avail. She watched as it shouted pointed desperately beyond the cage to some point in the distant horizon. The Crystal Heart continued to shout and pantomime, pointing in the direction off to the West. Rarity turned away from the frantic construct, looking toward where it was gesturing.

She had only a trickle of warning in the back of her mind before she felt a blade scrape along the frosted hairs of her exposed throat. She leapt back and cursed under her breath before firing a defensive burst of icy spikes from her center, with the hopes of gaining the upper hoof. But the first blade was joined by a second, and the two floating blades rushed over her barrier, pressing in for the kill.

Rarity barely had enough time to roll out of the way as one of the barely visible, phantom blades stabbed at her while the other swung in lazy arcs through her escape route. The two never quite found their mark, but they pressed her back away from the cage.

Suddenly, the blade that had been cutting lazy swaths through the air turned on the attack and sliced into her unarmored cheek, below her visor, eliciting a squeal of pain and dropping Rarity flat on her rump.

“You can’t win, Rarity,” crowed Sombra as he re-materialized between his two blades. He stood proud and primal in his stance. There was no empathy in those burning eyes. No compassion. He wanted Rarity to hurt. He wanted her to fail.

“I ask again, fool,” he said, spitting his words. “Do you submit?”

Rarity slammed down a hoof, cratering the ground with a frustrated, animalistic shout of her own. She was beside herself with rage. She hadn’t been treated so viciously, nor so casually dismissed in centuries, and she wouldn’t submit such unbecoming behavior now.

“Never, you-you... you brute!” she snarled back at him.

And her world was engulfed in flame for a third time. Once more, the sickening sensation of flames rolling up and down her body, eager to reduce her to so much ash, was inescapable. Rarity dropped to her knees in pain, letting out a brief sob. The sort of sob no pony was meant to make in a more just world.

With shaky legs, she stood, fighting against the natural urge to roll in the dirt and put out the fire. She stood and glared at Sombra, who stood above her in silent fury. She could tell that her willful act of rebellion, as small as it was, had struck him deeper than any magical bolt could have.

“No!” she screamed. “I will not s-submit!” she choked out through the agony that now rolled like searing waves across her body. “I’d rather die!”

“So be it,” said Sombra in a chilling almost-whisper that echoed through the stillness which followed.

In an instant, her body was no longer aflame, and she dropped to her side in sweet relief. But the relief was short-lived, for a growing darkness began to engulf the sky.

Rarity looked up at the monstrosity forming above her. It was Sombra, or at least, it resembled the wicked tyrant, but he was massive.

The darkness poured out of him, swallowing the top half of the cage and engulfing him as the black cloud began to take the shape of his grim profile. The cage that held the Crystal Heart was pressed deep into the red earth as Sombra's growing mass began to weigh heavily on the structure.

“It is finished!” bellowed King Sombra as his colossal head turned to look down at his quarry.

Then he began to inhale.

Rarity’s hooves started to slide forward and her poor battered mane and tail were both pulled towards the inhaling beast. She pushed against the unnatural gale that threatened to consume her. Soon, the force was all but undeniable. Rarity screamed something against the wind, but whatever she said was lost to the howl of Sombra’s inhale.

And then it stopped.

Rarity stared back up at the towering mass above her from the end of her latest slide, momentarily robbed of all thought. Sombra’s form was filled to bursting with the flames of dark magic, so much so that his throat swelled and black flames leaked from his lips and nostrils.

His eyes bore into Rarity’s and she fought against the urge to cower. She knew she couldn’t win, but that didn’t mean she had to act like a foal. If it was her destiny to be reduced to ash in her own mind, then she would meet that destiny head on.

Also, she took a moment to straighten her mane, because hay, why not? If this was how it was going to end, she was going to go out looking good.

Sombra opened his mouth, and black flame rushed out. Briefly, Rarity wondered if there was anypony left in the world who would truly miss her. Twilight, probably. She’d be the last of the six, the poor dear.

The ground rumbled and cracked until there was a sudden, rather comical popping sound like an oversized soap bubble imploding. The pop was followed by a familiar voice shouting “YEEHAW!” which was subsequently followed by a significant amount of coughing by an enraged King Sombra.

Somehow, someway— and Rarity wasn’t ruling out the possibility that she’d finally cracked and that she was well beyond crazy now— her long dead friend Applejack was riding the long missing Princess Luna. The cowpony waved her hat around while riding the princess out of Sombra’s mouth. To his credit, Sombra looked just as surprised as Rarity imagined she must have looked.

He was probably significantly more upset though, if the vile words he managed to spit out between coughs were any indication.

Rarity, dumbstruck by the sight, would have all but forgotten about the evil she was facing, were it not for his incessant coughing and cursing.

Princess Luna cleared her throat with a polite cough of her own and bowed like only a ruler of Equestria could as Applejack hopped off. “Hail, Empress Rarit—”

“EDOUF!” roared a stuffed-up Sombra. He materialized a massive hoof to wipe away some rainbow-colored residue that dribbled down his muzzle. “Gah… What, what is this!? Is this glitter?”

“Huh,” said Applejack, absentmindedly as she watched Sombra’s nasally temper tantrum unfold. The sound of shuffling hooves beside her snapped her out of her rubbernecking. “Oh. Hey there, Rares,” she said merrily, trying her best to ignore the absurdity of it all. “How’s it goin’?”

Rarity felt her stomach drop out from under her, and she moved to put Applejack between herself and the Night Princess, angling herself for defense as best she could.

Applejack looked at Rarity nervously. “What’s wrong, Sugarcube?”

“The last time I saw an alicorn, she melted my lower half into a puddle, Applejack.”

Luna spun around on her back hooves and stared back anxiously at the Crystal Empress. “Who did what now?”

Before Rarity could respond, a heavy blast of dark magic slammed into Luna’s side, sending her spiralling uncontrollably through the air and down the mountainside.

Rarity let out a startled whinney and reared back at the acrid stench of burning ozone assaulting her nostrils. The agitated darkness that previously made up the mountain top dissipated, revealing a sputtering King Sombra, huffing and coughing with maddened eyes. “Wretched mares!” he roared. “You dare assault the sinuses of the True King of the Crystal Empire with glitter?!” Sombra spat a final shimmering globule on the ground.

“And… is that harmony?” he asked while scraping away the last of the bitter remnants on his tongue with his manifested hoof. “I hate harmon—”

A blur of moonlight, like a shooting star, raced past the speechless duo of Applejack and Rarity and smashed into the side of King Sombra’s head, knocking the oversized villain for a loop.

Flapping wings of absolute night before the gray shadow was the fuming outline of a pitch black alicorn. It also exuded shadow and darkness like Sombra, but it had an unmistakable edge to it. A purity that was unsullied by his vile magics. Rarity appraised the two and found Sombra’s darkness could easily be the sort of pleasant shade a pony could find under a tree on a summer’s day, whereas Luna’s bore the very meaning of night.

“Then allow me to put you out of your misery!” growled the cat-eyed shade, before it engulfed Sombra’s body like a vengeful eclipse.

The two shades collided and coalesced into a single mass whose colors warred and mingled together. Though only Sombra’s visage was evident, Luna’s interference was immediately apparent when the tyrant let out a maddened scream. Rarity knew that there was a nightmare brewing within him, and for the briefest of moments felt bad about the smug satisfaction that fact granted her.

“NO!” wailed Sombra as the churning black cloud that had consumed him pulled him off the cage and into the distance. “I DON’T HAVE YOUR RUSTY HORSESHOE, SPIRIT!”

Rarity looked back over at her friend. "Quickly now, Applejack, help me break open this cage. Before Sombra returns!"

Nearby, a large boulder was enveloped in the soft blue aura of Rarity’s magic, and she began to hoist the obstruction into the air.

“So uh, not that I’m doubtin’ you ‘er anythin’, but are ya really plannin' on smashin' it open with a rock?" asked Applejack, hesitantly.

Rarity gritted her teeth as beads of sweat began to collect on the parts of her face that weren’t covered in an icy shell. "If you have a better idea, Applejack, I’m all ears. If not, then for goodness sake, get with the bucking!"

Applejack stepped in front of Rarity and put her hooves on her withers, distracting the mare into dropping the massive rock. As it settled back in place, Rarity starred bewilderedly into her friend’s green eyes.

“Rarity.”

“... Yes?”

“Where are we?”

“We’re in trouble is where we are, now help me mo—”

“RARITY!”

The aforementioned mare sucked in a deep breath through clenched teeth to keep herself from giving a nasty outburst. “What is it, Applejack?” she asked through said clenched teeth.

“Focus. Where are we?” asked Applejack again, but this time she tapped a hoof on the Rarity’s forehead.

“We’re in… my mind,” Rarity answered back softly, realization slowly dawning on her.

Applejack shifted her weight and stepped to the side in order to point at the rocks all around them. “Tell the truth now, Rares. Ya think that cage is real? Ain’t it in yer head too?”

“It's not... Is it?” she asked.

With a soft pop, the cage walls melted away.

Rarity blinked at the approaching avatar of the Crystal Pony with wide-eyed surprise. "I did that," she said with no small amount of amazement. “I’m… I’m in control here, aren’t I? Any power Sombra had… It was all an illusion, wasn’t it?”

Applejack sat down and pulled off her hat to shake some of the awful red dirt off of it. “Welp,” she said with a sad smirk on her lips, “looks like ya figured it out. Don’t ya go’n let that nasty ol’ Sombra outta here, okay?”

Rarity nodded, and farther out, the hellscape surrounding the stone began to shift and change, fading into a wispy grey nothingness that reminded Rarity of the smoke cloud that tempted her before Sombra revealed himself. The dreadful smells of ash and blood left her palate, replaced by the much more pleasant smells of dust and damp stone.

Well, much more pleasant by comparison.

* * *

Captain Shining Star couldn’t have been more pleased as she trotted down the halls of the Royal Train. The Sun was shining, the all-unicorn Arcane Guard that stood under her command was running at top efficiency, and she had a spring in her step that she couldn’t hide even if she wanted to.

And after nearly ten years, she was about to see her dear sister.

She smiled as she peeked into the Royal Train’s observation car, having just come from the adjacent dining car. Though its familiar star charts and telescope were nowhere to be seen, Shining Star knew that they had to be in here somewhere. Probably just buried beneath the thirty some-odd stacks of the latest Equestrian Tax Code.

Princess Twilight was hunched over in one corner with a series of charts, Moon-hexed tax sheets, forms, and a variety of abacuses… abaci? Abaci, floating around her head. Despite the fact that the sudden ruse had been a bluff of complete desperation, Shining Star couldn’t help but feel a swell of old pride as she watched Twilight’s quill dance across a sheet of parchment.

“So… if we take the three and subtract it by six before we multiply it by the interest rate”

“No, that’s not it at all. You have to take the four, then subtract it by six and times it by the interest rate.” The Captain’s eyes refocused on a pair of her guards in the car’s center that had, apparently, decided to help the Princess out.

“Four? How did you get four?” asked Cornelius as he scratched a burnt gold hoof through his white mane.

“Because if you subtract the eight in Column G from the eleve—”

“Which is three...”

“And then you add the General Tax Fund Deductible from Column K, giving us four,” replied Aurora, a rather pleasant pink unicorn with a penchant for creamed carrots and conflagration.

Cornelius nodded. “Oh yeah. Wow, we are so good at this!”

“I know right?!” crowed Aurora as she patted her slightly larger companion on the shoulder. “We should do this taxes thing more ofte—”

“What in the name of all that is good and fungible are you two chuckleheads doing?” demanded a new voice from the other end of the train car. Shining knew the voice, but she couldn’t see him behind the teetering stacks of paper. What was his name again? she wondered.

Cornelius turned on the spot and smiled back at the fuming old stallion. “Oh hey, Flatty, we just figured we’d help with the taxes while you were away.”

Flat Rate, that was the name. Shining suppressed a smile when he fumed at the unwanted and unwarranted nickname while stomping his way over to the two unicorns standing in a crumpled pile of paperwork. A crumpled pile that had previously been a sorted stack.

“Away? While I was away? I was in the bathroom for two minutes for crying out loud and…” Flat Rate’s rant went cold as his eyes fell on the paper in Aurora’s forehoof. “What is this?” he demanded.

“It’s Cloudsdale’s tax fo—”

“Yes yes, I know what it is,” he growled while snatching it out of her grasp. “But would you mind telling me why the Gross Domestic Product of Cloudsdale is four?!”

Cornelius pointed at the completely unrelated form in his hoof as he replied. “Because if you subtract the eight in Column G from the eleven in Colu—”

“GET OUT!” shrieked Flat Rate as he flapped his wings in equal parts despair and accountable rage. The two guardponies leapt to their hooves at the unexpected ferocity and squeakiness of the ERS Commissioner and scrambled for the far door and relative safety of the dining car.

They saluted as they ran past Shining Star, and she smiled at them serenely with a small shake of her head.

“Of all the things I’ve had to deal with today,” muttered Flat Rate as he sat there gathering the forms into a somewhat organized stack. “Teleported onto a moving train. Going through these blasted forms again in the last quarter before processing. Now I’ve got to find something that’ll remove purple crayon from parchment.” He sighed angrily before finishing with, “What else can go wrong?

The train engine, eager to answer his question, slammed the brakes and every carefully organized stack of parchment in the car joined him in a sea of crumpled paper.

“FINAL STOP, THE CRYSTAL EMPIRE,” came an announcement over the magical loudspeaker in the upper back corner by the bathroom door.

Shining Star braced herself in the doorway and watched the wanton chaos unfold. There was a rustling from the center of the car, and soon, Flat Rate’s pale cream colored muzzle poked through the heap. This was followed by a purple muzzle at the end of a long slender neck a few feet away.

“Flat Rate?” asked the obviously oblivious Twilight. With a furrowed brow and cocked head she examined the sorry state of her surroundings. “What did you do?”

Flat Rate answered Her Royal Highness with a series of blubbery whimpers as he sank back below the surface of the paper pile. Not a minute passed before Twilight had fished out the chart she was looking at before the train ground to a halt, an action that resulted in a small eye roll from the Captain of her Arcane Guard.

Shining Star looked at the Princess, and then outside. There was the Crystal Empire, in all of its glory, with its crystal towers and crystal roads and crystal ponies and… now that she thought of it, there seemed to be a lot of crystal around here.

She watched as the other passengers disembarked from the train. Members of the royal staff running about this way and that, making preparations for this thing or that. Nobles strode about idly, chatting with one another about the train ride or the evening’s celebrations to come. Her tail swished happily, despite the nagging feeling in the back of her mind.

All had gone well. Luna should’ve been given enough time to complete her task, hopefully, and the taxes had proved to be more than enough of a distraction for Twilight. Perhaps too much, she thought, turning to observe her otherwise occupied charge.

The Goddess of Magic was still stuck in her own little world of paperwork, her quill scratching away in concentration. Shining Star looked back out the window and waited... And waited some more. At last, she waited until the count of one hundred after the last of the passengers, who weren’t part of the Princess’ entourage, left the platform, before she finally spoke up.

“Your Majesty?”

“Hmm?” Not a single motion was interrupted as the floating abaci clicked away.

“We’re here. At the Crystal Empire?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“We need to get off of, umm, the train….”

“Mm-hmm.”

“The royal trumpeters have been lining the red carpet for some time now? They’re starting to look a bit peevish.”

“Sounds good.”

The Captain felt her left eye twitch. But just a little bit. She tried closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, just like she’d shown her niece. But it wasn’t working. Instead of a gentle request, a thundering demand came out. “MOVE IT SPARKLE!”

Twilight let out a startled yelp, paperwork and quill pens flying every which way, as she was yanked out of her daze.

“Oh, Shining Star, how good to see… Oh, we’re already here?” she mumbled as she looked out at the stationary scenery beyond the observation car’s windows. Gathering her wits and her hooves, she stood up and flicked some errant papers off her back with her wings before using her magic to collect them all into piles again. It was then that she noticed her Captain standing there with a gentle smile on her face.

“Indeed we are, your Majesty; it was a lovely ride,” she said with a soldier’s bow, momentarily taking her eyes off the Princess. “Are you ready to depart? We must get going or—”

“Yes, yes,” said Twilight, who already had her muzzle buried in a manilla folder stuffed full of tax paperwork. She began walking forward without looking where she was going, much to Shining Star’s disdain. ”I think I’ve almost found this error!”

Shining Star's smile became all the more strained. "Have you? My that's... wonderful." she said humorlessly, making her way behind the Princess so as to steer her towards the train's exit. "Just, wonderful."

Author's Note:

Chapter 8 has been revised to be shorter, which hopefully improved the flow for the story and not be so painfully dragged out. The core story elements and points were maintained in this. For those that still wish to view the original Chapter 8 document, here is the Google Doc link. Let me know if it doesn't work right.

Original Chapter 8