• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 17,888 Views, 543 Comments

Little Dragon in a Strange New World - Zeryurijin

  • ...
36
 543
 17,888

History Lessons

Author's note: This chapter contains a brief re-cap of The Eternal Night and Dawn of the Dragon. Mind you some spoilers are ahead, so if you've not played the games and want to find out on your own, don't read. If that is not a problem for you, well then enjoy.



Ponville Library was pretty impressive. Not just that it housed a vast array of knowledge, books both fiction and non fiction as well as the history of Equestria, along with almost any subject all under one roof. Or that it was the residence of one Twilight Sparkle and Spike the Dragon. Simply because it was designed to be a tree. Not built with materials to make it pass for a tree. But a living, breathing, naturally growing tree. Spyro was in awe for that effect and the books... ok more for the tree but the vast collection of books and scrolls left him speechless. Given they lacked paper material on his world (dragons were not the best with ink and quill. Relying on soft stone and their claws to carve out their history was the only means of well, keeping track of historical events.) Normally the dragon and Sparx would have loved nothing more then to hear Spike tell about all the chores and tasks he did in the library. Or how he was Twilight's number one assistant, able to keep her list checked off thrice so there would be no mistakes.

Instead they were both getting over the slight nausea, which was a side effect of being magically transported from one location to another. Spike kept a waste basket on claw just in case his fellow dragon lost his lunch. Thankfully it was mild and would pass within a few minutes. Course what could of helped was figuring out the banter between six ponies as they all came to terms with the messages on the scrolls delivered to Twilight. Spyro was having trouble as deciphering on this jumbled conversation and these two nations Draconis and Gryf that were now involved.

"Typical that those dragons and griffons would sneak into Equestria without Celestia's consent. They have the nerve to constantly remind her of permission before she even thinks of paying visits to their kingdoms, yet they don't seem to have the slightest problem helping themselves into our nation whenever they suddenly feel like it." Rarity complained.

"Umm Rarity? Not to shoot you down, but Celestia did sign an agreement allowing griffons and dragons near Ponyville. So they kinda have that right when scouting." Rainbow Dash pointed out.

"That is just it. Scouting, not spying! And that is exactly what both parties did! The nerve making these demands of our Princess. The Queen and King should be doing a better job of keeping themselves in check, rather then act like they own the planet." The unicorn replied.

"Girls please!"

All heads, including Spyro turned on Twilight. The lavender unicorn rubbed the bridge of her snout before speaking up.

"All this bickering is not going to change the fact that Celestia will be having to representatives from both nations arriving at Canterlot in two days time. The Dragon Queen and Griffon King are going to want to know what she plans to do about Spyro."

"Well umm, I think she shouldn't allow Spyro to be taken at all. I mean, he is an outsider. But he doesn't belong with those meanie dragons. He's too kind and easy going to want to be those types. And...well as for the King. What right has he to say about thinking Spyro is some weapon we've been hiding? Only damage he's done was breaking up a boulder on Applejack's farm land." Fluttershy meekly mentioned.

"Excuse me, ponies?"

All heads turned to Spyro. The dragon rose to sit on his haunches,"I can't help but detect a bit of dislike for both this Dragon Queen and Griffon King you keep referring to. Did they do something bad here in Equestria that would warrant this hostility towards them? I mean, I've heard from Fluttershy the dragons here can be cranky, territorial and vicious at times. But that is who they are. As for these griffons, well I don't know enough about them to draw my own opinion about them. Care to fill me in on some missing details here?"

Twilight gave a nod,"Equestria is a land of ponies, pegasi and unicorns. We live in a state of peace and prosperity and its been like this for well over one thousand years and counting. The problem is we share borders with the nations of Draconis and Gryf. And... its not exactly a chipper place to be as Pinkie Pie would say."

Spyro rubbed his chin in thought before giving a roll of his shoulders,"Think your going to have to give me a little history lesson, Twilight if I'm to see the bigger picture here."

Of course, Spyro." Twilight and the other ponies took seats near the couch he sat on as Twilight did her best to remember the history of three nations: Equestria, Draconis and Gryf.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Twelve hundred years earlier, Equestria was different. The alicorn sisters resided in Ever Free forest, their castle just barely peeking from the leafy canopy. The earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns were barely settling into their small settlements, the descendants of those who had borne witness to the chaos spirit Discord wicked acts and of the brave deed of Luna and Celestia defeating him thus freeing every pony from his malicious grasp. Both were newly indicted as rulers over the ponies and reluctantly agreed to re-locate into a far grander castle then the one they had called home for some time.

It was during this time of renewal and expansion that reports from the early pegasi ponies informed the two princesses that Equestria was not as spacious as they thought to be. They learned that in the far northern reaches a different nation ruled. What surprised Celestia and Luna was that dragons, once thought to be fearsome well respected beings, actually had their royalty rule over. This Queen they gathered was as old as the planet they lived on. Some lay claim even older. But this was only part of what they learned. This Dragon Queen's borders to the far west nudged against another nation, one where majestic griffons reigned. They too, were governed by royalty, a king and queen matriarch to be exact.

All was never well along these borders. They held courts of high council, much like the alicorn's budding court, but whereas agreements and peaceful transactions were met between pegasi, unicorn and earth pony, arguments and disputes erupted among the lesser favored lords and magistrates on both sides. Spying and espionage was almost a regular for both parties. And of course there were the small conflicts between griffon and dragon, fights breaking out and battles.

Now the balance of power was shifting. The alicorn's sister's own rising rule was taken note from Draconis and Gryf. There were a couple of instances when both Queen and King sent ambassadors to their castles, either requesting...or demanding allegiance to side with their nation. Celestia sent them packing more then once, informing their rulers that as a protector of all her ponies, she would not, under any circumstances, risk the lives of her people over their petty differences. The last line was crossed when one magistrate on the Dragon Queen's council, took the alicorn's response as an insult. The dragoness, along with a small group of her house descended upon one budding village and razed it to the ground, capturing all earth ponies as they fled their burning houses and farmland.

Celestia along with Luna received word and a letter, threatening the ponies lives if they did not comply. Both sisters rose to meet this magistrate and her house at their borders. What followed next was merely described as retribution for this cowardly act. The dragoness was sent back along with the remenants of her house to the Queen. A note, which was later copied and given the the Griffon King clearly stated. If either nation dared to assault her ponies in such a fashion, the sun goddess's wrath would be most unmerciful as the magistrate found out the painful way. She would live, but would bear the scars until the end of her life.

Draconis and Gryf left Equestria alone after that incident. But it did little to stem their own continued fighting. Since the centuries, the three nations had long entered an agreement and signed a pact. That with permission from any party, air space and other amenities would be granted to the visitors. In exchange knowledge, trade and other beneficial aspects were opened to ponies all over Equestria. And it had been this way since the founding of Canterlot. Now again, recently it appears that the newest councils from both nations, once again held disgruntled magistrates and lords. While fighting and disputes were rare, there was some rumors that these new breed was following that path of power. And every pony knew that dark consequence of taking that road blindly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Spyro mulled this over as Twilight finished. The dragon looked up to Sparx, who flitted his wings.

"Sounds to me that while these Griffons and Dragons may be proud, they hold a certain air of superiority over their fellow flyers." The dragonfly said.

"They seem to have the occasional batch of, what do you say Applejack? Bad apples in their courts. So after that incident involving that settlement of ponies and your Celestia giving them a hard swatting on the rears, they pretty much signed a pact to avoid any further trouble and embarrassment. Till now, where you got these grumps thinking about expanding their territories and invading neighbors lands once again. And I'm guessing this wasn't the first time either."

The mane six shook their heads unison.

"Huh, makes me glad the elder dragons and the colonies surrounding the temple live a simpler, easy going life." the dragon muttered to himself.

"Simple? Ya mean none ya dragons rule over anythin other then this temple ya keep mentionin?" Applejack asked, having caught wind of what Spyro said.

"Well, no. We don't rule or govern any town or colony on Avalar. They have their own leaders and we all work out just fine. I mean we're great, yes. But humble and offer what assistance we can if a need arises and our help asked for. As for the temple, I guess you can say its like our territory. We're pretty content with it."

Rising to his feet, Spyro hopped off the couch,"Twilight. Send a letter to your princess. Ask to see if it is clear with her, that I attend this gathering of representatives."

"Why would you want to attend? We're trying to keep you a low profile here. If those mean ol dragons and griffon see you, their gonna drag you away! Or worse!" replied Pinkie Pie who sounded worried.

He leaned back a little, seeing as she popped from her spot to invade his space once more, eyes wide with...whatever she was on or feeling.

"Umm, Pinkie Pie. I don't want to say it but,my cover is blown. If these scouts spotted me despite your efforts to hide me, then how much longer before the rest of you ponies, and by you, I mean every other pony in this town find out? I stand a better chance of meeting with your Princess Celestia and these ambassadors, give my side of the story and refuse to leave. I'm a guest under your rule, therefore I should have the same rights and protection as any pony."

The pink pony gave a light sigh, but nodded and retreated with the rest of her friends. Twilight drew out parchment and quill, casting a glance towards their "guest" as he sat there,"You sure about this? I'm not sure how Celestia will take to you wishing an audience."

Spyro gestured to the windows, "I can't sit around your town and houses if I've been spotted. I'm not sure what this Griffon King or Dragon Queen will do, but if these little spats in their courts proves anything, its most likely some dragon or bird will make an attempt for me. And that will generally throw things into an upheaval. I can only hope she understands the reasons why."

Ten minutes later, Spike sent the message written to Celestia via magical fire mail. Twilight's friends made their good byes as they returned to their residences, leaving Spyro and Sparx at the library for the evening. So long as the dragon kept his head low, there really was not going to be any problems of another dragon magically appearing in Ponyville. While Twilight set up a spare bed in the basement below, Spyro found himself watching Spike as the dragon tidied up the library after this little meeting.

"So this is what you do every day?" He asks the baby dragon.

Grunting, Spike slipped a few tomes in the shelves before climbing down the wooden ladder.

"Oh, its not just library cleaning and updating. I deliver and receive messages, run errands for Twilight such as quills, ink and parchment paper. I do lists too, especially check lists."

"Check lists?" Spyro tilts his head slightly.

Spike nodded,"Twilight likes to keep things need and tidy. And she has me make check lists. One time, she had me make a check list to double check her first check list."

"Sounds a little confusing to me. Going through all that just for one check list?" Sparx pipped in.

Spyro lightly shrugs with a wing,"Just how she is I suppose. Kinda like Volteer and his constant going ons about one subject to the next. He's smart but he tends to let his muzzle move too much for the rest of us sometimes."

"Think if Twilight met this erm Voltier? they would ramble on and on?" The baby dragon asked.

Spyro shuddered slightly,"Volteer... and Spike, I think on and on would be an understatement. They would have a conversation until the end of time if you gave them that chance."

Twlight emerged from the basement, humming to herself as she slipped up the stairwell that led to her room. A linen closet was at the end, shelves full of spare sheets and pillows were kept. Just in case company stayed over or the unicorn decided to have another sleep over with friends. The mare continued to hum to herself, the materials for bed making floating behind her in a soft aura of magic. She disappeared down the stairs once more, leaving the dragons be.

"Umm, Spyro? All this talk of problems going on with the dragons and griffons. And of Celestia, Luna, Twilight and her friends included, stepping up to face these threats. You, I mean have you and Avalar ever dealt with similar?"

Spyro glanced at Spike for a moment. Then he scooted over and patted a spot by him, the fellow dragon more then eager to join his scaly brother. He waited until Spike fussed with his head spines then sat quietly.

"Dealt would be a minor word to put it. Involved deeply is more like it. I mentioned this to Twilight, don't know if I mentioned it to you. But seeing as Twilight and her friends are well known and umm, legends here. The same follows for me in a way."

"Really?" Spike's green eyes widened at Spyro. To think he was popular on his world.

"Mind you the challenge I faced was probably as bad as Celestia facing Luna when she became Nightmare Moon. And became worse after she got her sister back."

The baby dragon looked confused. Spyro waved a forepaw,"Sorry got confusing. I have a friend named Cynder. She's about my height. Her scales are dark purple, much darker then mine or Twilight's. Her horns are white, and her chest plate and wing membranes are a pale pink. When the dragon temple was attacked, her egg was stolen by minions of a Dark Master. He corrupted her and she worked for him, trapping the elders and stealing their essences so a portal could be opened and he be set free. I foiled that plan, rescued Cynder and saved Avalar. Unfortunately it didn't end there. Though I had thwarted the Dark Master's attempt into entering our realm, I had not kept his other plans from coming into play. Cynder took it hard blaming herself for the trouble she had caused, even though in our eyes, the dragoness was merely a soldier for the Dark Master. It didn't make her feel any easier. She took off, forbidding me to follow. She wanted to find out where she belonged in our world."

"You mean, she was lost?" Spike asked.

"You could say that she was lost, trying to find herself out there. After she left, our temple comes under attack. Strange apes tried to bring down the place. Me along with Ignitus and the others managed to thwart them and they retreat."

Spyro tells the tale to Spike, watching those eyes widen in awe as a certain part of the story amazes him. The baby dragon listens as the Dark Master known as Malefor was the first purple dragon that mastered all the elements in Avalar. But as with all beings whose power for hunger was never ending, so was his growth. The baby dragon learned that the elders Spyro spoke of, sealed Malefor away never to be seen or heard from again as they feared his continued growth would spell disaster. It turned out that he taught the apes, the same apes that attacked his temple, dragon magic. The baby dragon kept silent, unaware that another set of ears were listening in.

Twilight was coming up the stairs, when she overheard Spyro tell Spike about his adventures. Now the unicorn sat there, silently in the shadows of the walls, writing down everything the dragon was telling Spike. Of this Malefor, of some eclipse that was to bring the evil dragon back and begin a dark reign once more. Of the strange being only known as the Chronicler and of his warning to Spyro to hide until he was ready. The purple dragon disregarding the warning, heading to this Well of Souls to find Cynder and Gaul. The battle that ensued and of the dark transformation that nearly consumed Spyro. And the final act of saving them all, using his powers to encase Cynder, himself and Sparx in crystal to save themselves from the crumbling mountain.

The sounds of soft snoring brought pause to the story. Spyro glanced over and found Spike fast asleep. The dragon chuckled lightly. It was late in the evening. Time had passed as he spoke of his story to the fellow dragon, not realizing that he had passed out during the storytelling. The sound of hooves drew his attention to Twilight as she quietly picked Spike up and carried him up the stairs to bed. The dragon yawned himself softly, stretching out on the sofa, hearing the sounds of the door upstairs close. The lavender pony emerged, carrying a candle with magic as she joined the dragon.

"You have quite a story there, Spyro. Must have been tough to bear that much responsibility realizing you held the fate of your world in your paws."

A soft sigh came from the dragon, drawing her eyes to him.

"Kinda glad he fell asleep. Not that I was worried when he passed out. Just what followed after we escaped from the crystal prison. Malefor was successful on being brought back from the realm he was sealed away in. Cynder and I had to fight our way out of some catacombs, re-unite with Sparx and tangle with a nasty rock monster Golem. A friend, Hunter found Sparx when we were separated. We arrived at a city just as Malefor forces started attacking. Though we defended the assault, he gave us a warning. Awakening some ancient force called the Destroyer, Malefor was using it as a means to bring about destruction to Avalar. We joined up with the dragon elders and with Ignitus's guidance proceeded back down underground. The Destroyer was to reach a Ring of Fire to unleash it's power. We destroyed a dam halting its efforts, but it proved futile. The Ring of Fire was completed and a count down began. Our next option was to head through the Burned Lands."

Spyro paused, the mare seeing a look of pain and sadness in his eyes for a moment. Sparx tapped his friend's head softly,"Spyro. You don't have to tell this part, if...you know." the dragonfly said softly.

He shook his head and sniffled, wiping his snout with a fore paw,"It's alright Sparx. It's never easy talking about this. Ignitus was a mentor, a friend and first dragon I ever met, Twilight. He... sacrificed himself so that me and Cynder could get through the Burned Lands. I wanted to go back, I wanted to see that he was ok, but Cynder kept me for returning. I know he watches over me and the others, but... it's never easy. After crossing the Burned Lands, we finally confronted Malefor. He may have tried to tell me that all purple dragons were born to sow destruction, but I never believed a word of it. With Cynder's help, we defeated him and the remaining elder sealed his spirit away for good. But Avalar was in trouble. The Destroyer's work was done and Avalar would be lost."

"Was there any way to stop it?"

Spyro nodded,"I used my magic to quell the planet and rebuild it anew. Avalar was saved, Malefor was gone for good and peace was brought to the lands once and for all. Since then we've been rebuilding our temple and enjoying the peace and quiet. Well, the elders and Cynder were. Despite all I had done, I had grown a little restless. Regardless of the work I put in or how tired I felt, I never could go to sleep. And well, I take one night flight and wind up in your world." He laughed softly at the strangeness behind all this.

Another yawn passed through his muzzle, paws rubbing his eyes in a tired state. Twilight rose and motioned with a hoof,"I have a bed set up for you in the basement. It's not a cloud bed, but its very comfortable. Even Spike stands by it."

Sleepily nodding, Spyro followed her down the steps, making his way into a vast space at the bottom. Aside from a few strange contraptions, it was as tidy down here as it was on the main floor. No sooner did he climb into bed, did Spyro and Sparx pass out immediately. Twilight made her way upstairs to the ground floor, closing the door behind her. Alone in the library, the unicorn gathered up the parchments of which she wrote Spyro's tale about him and what Avalar encountered. Celestia would wish to know about this, some parts of the tale sending a shiver down the pony's back for a strange reason. Spyro, a gentle dragon being capable of bringing about destruction. Was there a need to worry, if history could repeat here on Equestria? Twilight did not wish to think it, but there was no harm in sending these to the Princess regardless.

It would have to wait until Spike woke. The dragon was asleep upstairs, another sound downstairs. Alone in her element, Twilight did what a pony of her intellect and wit often did. Do late night reading and perhaps looking into the history of Equestria for any similar hidden dangers that could be lurking in some dark cavern or hidden catacomb, that an unknown dragon of different origin, might accidently set off without his knowledge.

It never hurts to be prepared.