• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 17,853 Views, 543 Comments

Little Dragon in a Strange New World - Zeryurijin

  • ...
36
 543
 17,853

Refuge

While the small band of ponies and dragons ventured into Draconis to end the tyranny of a lich dragon, the effects of the kingdom's overthrow had rippled across the rest of the world. In the kingdom of Gryf, the griffons made way for the dragons fleeing their homes. The King had opened his roost to those who sought safety, knowing full well of the dark presence that lingered on his western borders. Word had arrived a few days before, brought in from his agents scattered across Equestria. The messages were further solidified upon Ambassador Steelwing's return. The alicorn princesses had been assaulted in their own castle, an evil lich responsible for the near destruction of Canterlot. At first it felt as though both royal sisters had done something idiotic and would be the embarrassment of the decade.

The joke at first dissolved into something far more sinister. Steelwing had backed the messages with proof of a lich dragon, unheard of in any of the three kingdom's history books running rampant in the kingdom of Draconis. Then came the shock: Draconis had fallen, the Queen taken prisoner. The lich wielded the elements and its power seemed unchallenged. Along with the refugees came the name: Malefor. Now as more dragons who were either too young, too old or sickly or just citizens continued to trickle in through the main flight paths, the King grew uneasy upon his throne. If Canterlot was sieged and Draconis fallen, how much longer before Gryf was threatened? The result was more soldiers being dispatched to increase the guard at his borders and magical defense relics brought in to raise alarm should this Malefor set his sights on Gryf.

As the King brooded over this thought for the umpteenth time while in listening to his aerial generals suggestions on how to protect their borders even further, another kingdom was coping with the sudden increase in traffic. In the far north, hidden by blizzards and snow cover sat a kingdom shrouded by magic. The Crystal Empire as it was once called had emerged after ten centuries of being swallowed up by the mad king's last curse which caused the kingdom to vanish upon his defeat. It re-appeared a few years ago, prompting a swift response from Equestria to seize the empire and bring it under its rule once more. This was not done without some difficulty. As the Bearers of Harmony had been sent out to help secure the kingdom, word had gone out of Sombra's return. Thanks to the efforts of all six along with the stout determination of one baby dragon, the king was overthrown a second time and a new ruler or rulers took his place.

Princess Cadence gazed over the crystal balcony of her room as she watched another group of dragons being escorted by her guards. She could feel the heaviness and sadness in their hearts, having lost their home to an evil presence now residing in Draconis. The alicorn herself could barely grasp of what came to terms in her aunt's kingdom. Few messages were sent over the course of the month and she barely was able to make out what the contents were. A lich had tried to take over Canterlot and nearly succeeded through the manipulations of Discord. Even reading that had left her speechless. That an undead creature possessing a power to control the King of Chaos himself. It seemed there was a specific individual the lich wanted, Cadence now just hearing a name. Spyro. A small dragon. While to any pony or other person living in Equestria or any other part of the kingdom may feel that some random dragon would be the target of a lich, what she learned in the coming days was fascinating.

Aunt Celestia had mentioned other worlds beyond their own. Each with their own set of rules in terms of living, magical uses and lifestyles. Much of Equestria's denizens knew nothing of the sort, for the alicorn sisters felt it was not time yet to tell the ponies of other worlds just beyond the stars. Portals, while handy for quick transports between major cities were forbidden from other purposes. Magi and unicorns caught attempting to go outside those boundries were quickly caught and quietly erased from the public eye. Too much risk was involved for the safety of all who lived here.

But that secret was slowly leaking out from the sealed doors. A dragon from another world now in Equestria. A lich with possibly the same ties wrecking havoc across the lands. Cadence could see why her aunt was so adamant about keeping outsiders away. Now her work methods seemed undone as the Crystal Empire struggled to make room for the dragons who sought sanctum. The hardier, more aggressive ones opted to avoid the populated regions in favor of their own hiding places. To wear out the storm and hope for better news of their Queen.

The doors to her chambers opened, breaking the alicorn's trance of thought. In trotted Shining Armor, her husband, prince and fellow king of the empire who also happened to be captain of the guard here.. In his magical aura held a scroll, one sent from Canterlot no less or from his sister Twilight. She turned and the two greeted one another at the center with an affectionate nuzzle.

"What news Shining?," Cadence asked with concern.

"Not good. Celestia and her sister along with Twily and her friends, including a hoof ful of guards plus a dragon magi are attempting to sneak into Draconis to take back the lands."

"She's doing what?!" Princess Cadence exclaimed.

Shining set down the scroll upon the desk before turning to gaze upon his wife,"My words exactly. I figured a whole armada of soldiers would be necessary before any attempt to invade and assault the dangers of Draconis would be needed. But Celestia is not waiting. She fears the longer she or any other pony waits, the more danger the lich will pose. Twilight and the other Bearers of Elements are with her, plus Discord."

"D-d-d-Discord?! Aunt Celestia is relying on Discord for help?" Cadence could not see the reasoning behind getting a draconequus... no, THE draconequus to help.

"Seems Discord chose to help. Apparently and odd as this may sound, he's looking for a some payback against the lich. Twilight mentioned his pride has been hurt and it seems the draconequus can hold a grudge if provoked enough."

"How will they be able to trust him? What is stopping Discord from taking advantage of this situation and using it for his own gain?"

"Princess Celestia made him Pinkie Pie Promise." The stallion replied.

"Oooh."

Yes. It was gravely ill advised to break such a promise. Those who either had a death wish or were foolhardy enough to attempt such a feat suffered a fate worse then the bowels of Tartarus itself. Just the mere inkling of the thought sent a shiver down both their spines causing the couple to huddle.

"I hope Auntie knows what she is doing. I hope I know what I'm doing. There's so many dragons. We lack meat to feed them, despite a few volunteering to hunt outside our borders."

"The King of Gryf is faring no better. More and more are showing up at his doorstep. Reports say Draconis is almost an empty wasteland."

Princess Cadence lowered her head with a soft sigh. Shining gently took her by the forehoof and led her to the bed, letting her take a seat.

"Your worried about Princess Celestia and Twilight? I know where your coming from Cadence. Just the thought of Twily venturing into those lands makes me want to race down there myself just to protect her from any threat. If I could I'd drag her and her friends back here just to see them unharmed. But we both know Celestia is powerful as is Luna. You yourself will be just as strong some day. For now we just have to have a little more faith in our family."

Her eyes glanced down to see him patting a hoof,"I hope your right, Shining. I know that their friendship is extremely power as is their love for one another."

"What do you feel out there Cadence. What emotions are you picking up in Draconis?"

The alicorn closed her eyes for a minute or two before shaking her head,"I feel anger. Hatred and malice, mostly from that lich. A thirst for revenge, for utter wanton destruction. The hunger for endless power, to dominate all life on this planet. A desire to return home and seek vengeance against those who cast it out when it was alive."

"What about Twilight? Her friends, Celestia and the others?" Shining asked.

"Beneath all that darkness, I can feel them. The strength, determination and love. Its all there hidden beneath a shroud of shadows, aimed at the monster responsible." Cadence opened her eyes once again looking upon Shining.

"There is something more coming from where the lich is. It's faint, barely noticible. I... can't make it out. But it feels like one, no two presences working as a single being.. I can't make out the details, the interference from the lich is making it difficult for me to focus on."

"The dragon, Spyro they are trying to rescue?"

"I can't say for certain, Shining. The auras are different from what I am familiar with. Maybe."

A knock on the door drew both their attention as a messenger entered,"Begging both majesties pardons but. A few representatives of the dragon refugees are asking for more food and shelter. Shall we open up the last of the housing facilities your highnesses?"

Princess Cadence looked to Shining Armor as he to her. Both nodded and arose from their spots. Trotting over to the messenger, Cadence outstretched a wing, "Make it so." The crystal pony bowed and left as the couple exited the bedroom chambers. They were both needed to not only tend to their subjects, but to offer what aide they could to the dragons below. Alicorn and unicorn offered what prayers of protection and hope for their families as they felt them travel deeper into enemy territory.

Author's Note:

A reader, VBA asked,"With all the madness going on, whats happening with the Crystal Empire in all of this?"

Good question. A little side chapter on how the griffon kingdom and the crystal pony kingdom are coping with the dragons fleeing from their home.