• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 8,731 Views, 2,787 Comments

Cheerilee's Thousand - xjuggernaughtx



Cheerilee goes on one thousand terrible dates.

  • ...
19
 2,787
 8,731

PreviousChapters Next
Date Nine - Pet Peeves

“Whoa, hey there!” Cheerilee called out as Sea Swirl nearly ran into her at a full gallop. “Watch where you’re going!” She frowned after the mare as she receded into the distance. “Some ponies…”

Shrugging, she turned back to Bell Curve. “So you’ve been collecting data in Saddle Arabia all this time?” Cheerilee asked as they strolled down the wide central street in Ponyville. It had been years since she’d last seen Bell Curve, and he’d only grown more handsome since their days at college together.

“Yeah, you wouldn’t believe it there,” he sighed. “The culture. The architecture. The opulent restaurants. It’s all so amazing, but then you’ll look right across the street, and there are literally ponies starving to death.”

“That’s terrible!” Cheerilee said, stopping to cover her heart with a hoof. “But surely—”

“Run!”

Cheerilee and Bell Curve nimbly stepped aside as Lily charged down the street. “What's going on?!” she called after the mare. “I think we might want to skip the café,” Cheerilee said to Bell, her brow furrowing.

“Yeah. Me, too…” he said, turning to watch as the mare scrambled to make the sharp turn around a corner. “C’mon. Let’s get out of here.” Bell and Cheerilee turned, trotting back the way they’d come. “Anyway, Princess Celestia wants a report as soon as she can get one detailing the wealth inequalities there. She doesn’t want trade relations with countries that are committing atrocities.”

“Well, I can certainly see—”

“It’s awful!”

“Run for your lives!”

Cheerilee grimaced, looking over her shoulder. Roseluck and Amethyst Star were nearing them at a flat out sprint, with a wide-eyed Applejack close behind.

“Y’all skedaddle!” Applejack called out. “This town’s gonna be overrun!”

Cheerilee and Bell Curve broke into a gallop, attempting to keep pace with the growing crowd of panicked ponies. “What’s happening?” Cheerilee yelled over the sound of pounding hooves.

“Fluttershy’s off her medication again!” Applejack called back over her shoulder. “Ah gotta go find Twilight, but until then, y’all need to head to whatever bolt-hole ya got. Lock the doors and don’t come out until we give the say so!”

“Medication?” Cheerilee said, arching an eyebrow at the farmer. “Medication for what?”

‘Shy’s got A.A.D.!” Applejack called back. She rolled her eyes as Cheerilee and Bell Curve stared back blankly. “Animal Adoptive Disorder! Usually, she’s fine because her medication keeps it in check, but her prescription’s run out and the pharmacist is outta town! She didn’t want to bother nopony, so she kept it to herself. Now, we've got a powerful mess on our hooves!”

“What are you talking about?!” Cheerilee called as Applejack pulled away from them with her powerful strides.

“If she sees you, she’ll try to make you take somethin’ home!” Applejack called back faintly. “She’s got more animals than Ah can corral by myself, and the farm’s too far away. Only Twilight can fix this!”

“Did you get any of that?” Bell asked.

“Oh, I get it, all right…” Cheerilee said, grimacing. WHY?! she thought, pursing her lips. Why can’t I just have one good day out with a stallion?!

“Well, clue me in, because—oof!”

Cheerilee’s hooves skidded on the cobblestones as she attempted to stop. Behind her, Bell had tripped on a saddlebag that somepony had dropped in the mad escape. Cheerilee ran back to help him up.

“I’m okay!” he said, shaking his head vigorously. “I just knocked myself…” Bell’s voice trailed off as his pupils shrank to pinpoints. He pointed behind Cheerilee with a trembling hoof.

Cheerilee slowly turned, her heart beginning to race as animals slowly filled the street, blocking the exits. Sad animals, with shimmering eyes the size of dinner plates. Eyes that spoke of longing and unfulfilled need.

“Look, Angel!” Fluttershy’s soft voice called from somewhere above them. “We’ve finally found some ponies that are ready to bring several dozen lonely animals into their homes!”

“Oh, Fluttershy!” Cheerilee said, laughing nervously as the circle of hopeful animals tightened. “I couldn’t possibly! I… I have the foals, and that’s about all I can handle.”

“Oh, but just look at them!” Fluttershy said, pointing to a small colony of elephant seals. “They want to be part of your family so desperately!” The male seal rose, trumpeting deafeningly through its enormous nose. “How could you possibly say no to that face?” Fluttershy said, grinning widely.

“Do… you know this pony?” Bell whispered behind his hoof.

“I’ve never seen her like this!” Cheerilee said quietly, turning in a small circle. There was no escape. Creatures of all varieties stuffed the streets, houses and rooftops. “Fluttershy’s usually so unassuming.” she continued as she began to tremble.

“Oh, I know!” Fluttershy said, her smile showing far too many teeth. “How about a duck?” The pegasus reached behind a flowerpot and pulled out a mallard, who glared at Cheerilee, pulling his wing across his throat menacingly. “I have several here who say that they can’t wait to spend some quality time with you alone!” Fluttershy patted the duck gently on the head. “Ducks are so sweet!”

“No!” Cheerilee yelled, her hooves slipping as she scrambled a few feet backward. “No ducks! I’m, ah… allergic!” she finished as Fluttershy frowned, lowering her ears.

“Look, here’s the deal,” Fluttershy growled, advancing on the pair. “You’re gonna take some animals, you got that?”

Bell and Cheerilee threw their legs around each other, shaking.

“I’ve got three hundred and sixty-eight snuggly, cuddly, wonderful animals here, just waiting for a home,” Fluttershy continued, her lips pulled back to snarl at the pair, “so that’s a hundred and eighty-four for each of you!” Fluttershy loomed over them, her enormous eyes gleaming with maniacal animal fervor. “You wouldn’t want to disappoint them…” she said quietly, sweeping her hoof wide, “would you?

Cheerilee and Bell Curve followed hoof, trembling as they clung to each other. In all directions ostracized otters, excluded elephants, and ignored iguanas advanced on them, their faces filled with barely suppressed love.

“Cheerilee,” Bell whispered into her ear. “I-I’m going to create a diversion. I need you to try and make a break for it!”

“No!” Cheerilee said, gripping the stallion tightly. “I won’t leave you behind!”

“Look, we won't both make it,” he said, sweating as his fear-filled eyes scanned the horde of love-starved animals. “You’ve got ponies here who are depending on you. I-I’m just a lone stallion, making his way in the world. Nopony will miss me much.”

“That’s not true!” Cheerilee said, “I’ll—”

“Shh,” Bell said, cutting gently across her. “You know, you always were a cutie, Cheerilee,” he continued, planting a kiss between her eyes. “Run for it!”

Bell Curve flung her away. “I’ll take some pets!” he called.

And Cheerilee ran as hundreds of animals descended on the stallion. His screams from their collective hugging and snuggling echoed through the streets behind her.

PreviousChapters Next