• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 8,727 Views, 2,787 Comments

Cheerilee's Thousand - xjuggernaughtx



Cheerilee goes on one thousand terrible dates.

  • ...
19
 2,787
 8,727

PreviousChapters Next
Date Forty-Six - Full of Hot Air

“… And I thought we’d really made a connection, you know? I thought we’d really had something. But then Blossomforth told me that she’d seen Raindrops out with Thunderlane, and Fastball kept giving me this look whenever he saw me. Like he knew something, or… or that he had some secret. It was just too much to take after a while, and I…”

Cheerilee put a little added emphasis into her yawn this time. Two hours ago, this hot air balloon ride had seemed like such a fun way to spend some uninterrupted time with a handsome pegasus stallion, but now she found herself staring at the tiny ponies trotting below her with growing envy.

“… She was always trying to change me. Nothing was ever good enough with that mare. I’d get a new jacket, but it would be the wrong color. I’d have lunch with her, but I’d pick the wrong spot. She was so critical of every little thing, you know? There was this one time when…”

Cheerilee tried glaring and tapping her hoof against the basket’s wicker floor, but without any real sense of hope. He hadn’t picked up on it last time, either. Doesn’t he ever have to take a breath?

“… But oh no! That wasn’t good enough for her! I went completely out of my way to get that bouquet, but that’s not good enough for some mares! Some mares want—”

Cheerilee cleared her throat with as much force as she could muster. “Look, I appreciate you explaining so, um… completely why I seem so much better than your last marefriend, but could we please talk about something else?”

Guiding Light bit his lip and dropped his eyes. “Uh, sorry. I guess a got a little carried away there. Um…”

A tense silence stretched out between them.

“Brr,” Cheerilee finally said, rubbing her leg briskly with a hoof. “It does get nippy up here, doesn’t it.”

Guiding Light’s eyebrows rose. “Oh, are you getting cold?”

Cheerilee edged closer, smiling. “Yeah, I’m a bit chilly, but if you stand—”

Guiding opened the small storage locker beside him and pulled out a stained parka. “Here you go.”

Cheerilee’s smile slipped, and she stared at the jacket for a moment before taking it. “Uh… thanks.”

“Hopefully it fits. I tried to give my jacket to Raindrops once when she was cold, but she said it was way too loose in the shoulders. See, that’s how it is! You go through all the trouble of giving your nice, warm jacket for your marefriend, and she just can’t appreciate it. No, it’s always—”

“Guiding…”

The stallion turned to Cheerilee, blinking. “Huh?”

“You’re doing it again.”

“Oh. Right.” Guiding hung his head. “Sorry.”

Cheerilee sat and worked her legs through the jacket’s sleeves. “How about we talk about… uh…” Cheerilee’s eyes darted around rapidly, searching for anything. “The balloon!”

Guiding Light scratched his mane and shrugged. “Well, it’s not all that interesting. It’s a hot air balloon, ya know?”

Cheerilee zipped the jacket up and thrust her chilled hooves deep into the pockets. “Well, you never know what you’ve missed. Maybe I could plan a lesson around it! I’m sure the foals would love to learn how this all works!”

“Okay, then.” Guiding tapped the basket. “First, you have to start with a basket that’s really supportive. One that’s going to keep things together, even when the going gets tough, or when it seems to be carrying all the weight.”

Cheerilee arched an eyebrow.

Guiding pointed to the envelope towering above them. “Then you attach it to a beautiful, open, accepting partner, and you think ‘Wow, it’s a perfect match!”

Cheerilee shot the stallion a flat stare. “Guiding…”

The stallion pulled the burner’s cord, and a gout of flame erupted from the top. “But then you find out that the basket’s partner is just full of hot air, and she just takes over the relationship and drags you along wherever it is that she wants to go!”

“Guiding…”

“Oh, but you keep on working at it!” Guiding Light yanked at the knot securing one of the ballast sandbags to the basket. The balloon rose sharply as the bag fell. “You just keep making sacrifices, jettisoning little bits of yourself in attempt to keep the relationship afloat, but eventually she says that the flame has gone out and that the relationship’s run out of fuel even though you’ve worked so hard to make it just the way she liked it. Then you come crashing back to earth.”

Guiding…”

“A-and then she runs off with Thunderlane, and you’re left behind with everypony just laughing at you because you’re such a chump. It certainly doesn’t matter that you gave her everything she ever wanted or that you tried so hard to be the stallion that she wanted. No! All that matters is—”

GUIDING!

The stallion shook himself. “Huh?”

“Look,” Cheerilee said softly. “I don’t want to seem like I’m telling you your business, but I think maybe you’re just not ready for this yet.”

Guiding Light blinked at Cheerilee for a moment. “This what?”

Cheerilee motioned back and forth between them. “This.”

The stallion sighed and hung his head again. “Yeah, maybe.”

Cheerilee patted his shoulder. “You shouldn’t rush into something right away. These things take time.”

“It’s…” Guiding looked off into the distance, then swallowed hard. “It’s just been a lonely last decade, you know?”

Last decade?” Cheerilee’s eyebrows knit together. “You two broke up a decade ago?”

“Twenty-three years, eight months, three days, and sixteen hours ago, but the last ten years have been the toughest,” came the immediate response. “We went steady for almost all of third grade.”

Cheerilee jumped up and unzipped the jacket in one smooth motion. She was suddenly very warm. “Are you kidding me?”

Guiding Light leaned against the basket’s wall and laid his head on its edge. “I wish I was.” Sighing, he traced small hearts onto the wicker floor with his hoof. “I thought maybe seeing another mare—oof!” Guiding flailed as the thrown jacket caught him full in the face.

Cheerilee glared at the pegasus. “Take me back down to the ground, please.”

“Uh… okay, if that’s what you want.”

Cheerilee turned and swept her hoof across Equestria’s horizon. “No, what I want is a simple, normal relationship with somepony.”

“Oh, I get that!” Guiding Light said, nodding vigorously. “That’s all I wanted, too, but it just wasn’t enough. I kept on giving and giving, and what did I get? Nothing! She just…”

Cheerilee sighed and checked the burner’s fuel gauge. It was three-quarters full. Peeking over the edge of the basket, she tried to judge the distance to the sparkling lake far below. Hmmm. Bruises for sure. Probably some broken bones, too. Beside her, Guiding Light was gesticulating wildly, adding extra emphasis to his telling of their rocky date to the spring dance in the school’s cafeteria. It’s that or hear about Raindrops for the next three hours. Squinting, she checked the lake again. It seemed just a bit closer. He’s so caught up that he isn’t firing the burner. Just a bit more… Cheerilee cleared her throat. “Guiding, how did you two meet in the first place?”

The stallion’s ears perked up. “Oh, that’s a story, let me tell you! I was at recess, and…”

Cheerilee nodded occasionally and kept an eye on the approaching lake. Just keep talking, buster.

PreviousChapters Next