• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 35,274 Views, 13,446 Comments

My Little Caboose: Blue is Magic! - DarkWing



What happens when the Reds and Blues finally get Church out of the Epsilon unit? Caboose decides he wants a turn in the unit, of course! What happens next? Well let's just say he always did say he wanted a pony, now he has a world full of them.

  • ...
139
 13,446
 35,274

PreviousChapters Next
Potions 101

"They're watching us." Grif muttered quietly, slowly following the others with Fluttershy.

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked.

"The wood wolves." Grif said. "They're looking at me." Grif’s head was on a swivel, instantly following every sound. In the nearby underbrush, he could make out faint movements of timberwolves. Stalking, watching, waiting, Grif didn't know what they were doing. All he knew is that they were there. The others looked over to where he was looking but could not see anything out of place.

"Is being paranoid one of the symptoms?" Sarge asked sarcasticaly.

"I don't think so." Twilight said. "The book never mentioned-"

The group then heard a branch snap from the bushes and everypony looked over worriedly at it.

"Now who is the paranoid one?" Grif asked, chuckling to himself.

"We should pick up the pace." Sarge said, starting to move a bit faster. "I don't want to get what Grif has."

"Well I can't exactly run on this leg you know." Grif said.

"You want to be dog food?" Sarge asked.

Grif muttered incomprehensibly and tried to move a bit faster. A couple of steps later, Grif tripped over a tree branch and grunted. "For the love of-" he said as he froze in place. As everyone else followed his gaze, they saw the timberwolves closing in, slowly creeping up on them from behind. Sarge walked next to Grif and picked him up.

"What should we do?" Tucker asked quietly.

"The same thing blues do best." Sarge muttered, then turned and started to sprint, carrying Grif on his back. "Run!"

The others didn't hesitate to turn tail at Sarge’s order. The others did not look back... except for Grif. He watched curiously as rather than chase them, the timberwolves splintered off back in to the woods. But he wasn't about to let Sarge drop him on his ass, so he smiled smugly and decided to let Sarge carry him down the trail. As they arrived at Zecora’s house they all stopped and looked back, expecting the timberwolves to be right on their fetlocks.

"Where did they go?" Simmons asked.

"I don't know." Church said. "But I don't exactly want to stick around and wait for them."

"Church is right, let's hurry up inside, we may have just temporarily lost them." Twilight said, walking up to the door.

As Twilight lifted her hoof to the door it suddenly swung open, causing Twilight to lose balance and fall forward. Church quickly caught her before she fell.

"Be a little more careful, hm?" Church said.

"Thanks." Twilight said quietly.

"Well if it isn't my acquaintances and friends from in town..." Zecora said happily, then noticed Fluttershy looking at Grif worriedly. "What could be so wrong my dear that it would make you frown?"

"Zecora, the bites that Grif got from the timberwolves were more severe than we thought." Twilight said.

Zecora looked at Grif and saw his infected leg and nodded quickly.

"Bring him so I may examine why his leg is so green." Zecora said. "there must have been something I must not have seen."

Sarge brought Grif in and put him on the rug. Zecora went to one of her books, opened it up and skimmed the pages quickly. She settled on one page, gave it a once-over and placed it on the table. She then grabbed another book and started to cross-reference them. She closed her eyes as she collected her thoughts. She suddenly closed the books and ran up to her brewing cauldron and lit a fire underneath. She started to take out samples of plants and herbs, examining each one closely. She selected a few and threw them in a mortar and pestle and started to grind them in to a fine powder.

"And good news doc?" Grif said.

"That depends on one thing." Zecora said.

"Oh? And what would that be?"

"I am missing some ingredients that I need the others to bring." Zecora said.

"I'm not exactly one for picking flowers." Sarge said.

"For the potion I have all the flowers I require." Zecora said. "What I need may be a bit more dangerous to acquire."

"How dangerous are we talking?" Church asked.

"There are three main ingredients that I still need." Zecora said. "But to find them, you must have courage and speed."

"We have that." Tucker said smugly.

"What are the ingredients?" Simmons asked.

"The first ingredient which I need is located on a great oak, for when it is burned it provides a soothing smoke."

"Great oaks are the oldest kind of trees in Equestria." Twilight explained. "They are located in areas that are uninhabitable for ponies, but are often homes to many other creatures.

"Tree bark. Got it." Sarge said. "What else?"

"The second ingredient is a cockatrice scale, the most potent of ones are those on it's tail."

"Hey Grif, there's your good news." Sarge said. "It looks like you aren't the only one who makes creatures up."

"Cockatrices are real." Twilight said. "They are monsters that look like a mix of a chicken and a snake."

"They don't sound dangerous." Simmons said.

"They may not sound like it, but when they gaze in to your eyes they have the ability to turn you in to stone." Twilight said.

"Okay, we got tree bark and a cockathingy scale." Sarge said. "What's the third ingredient?"

"The third and most vital ingredient is the most dangerous of all." Zecora said. "This one you have a great chance of being mauled."

"Yeah, yeah we got the dangerous part already." Sarge grunted impatiently. "What is the damn thing?"

"It is that of which Grif received when he was bit." Zecora said "You need to retrieve a sample of timberwolf spit."

"Okay." Sarge grunted. "So we need some tree bark, a scale and some spit?"

"That's not exactly sugar, spice, and everything nice." Church said.

"Why am I not surprised that Grif just doomed us to certain death?" Simmons asked.

"You know me Simmons." Grif said with a weak smile. "I always like to mix things up a little. Don't want you to go softer than you already are, now do we?"

PreviousChapters Next