• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 35,263 Views, 13,446 Comments

My Little Caboose: Blue is Magic! - DarkWing



What happens when the Reds and Blues finally get Church out of the Epsilon unit? Caboose decides he wants a turn in the unit, of course! What happens next? Well let's just say he always did say he wanted a pony, now he has a world full of them.

  • ...
139
 13,446
 35,263

PreviousChapters Next
Lesson #2: Be Yourself

"So Pipsqueak." Tex coughed as they walked through Ponyville, which was surprisingly barren of any ponies outside.

"Just call me Pip!" Pip smiled.

"Okay then. So Pip, do you like it here in Ponyville?" Tex asked curiously. "I mean, aside from the ponies running away from me, this place seems pretty dull."

"Sometimes it can get a little boring, and sometimes I get picked on-"

"You get picked on?"

"Not a lot. Mostly just because of my accent, but they're just joking around." Pip smiled unconvincingly. "I think."

"Listen, if any punk is giving you trouble, tell me." Tex said seriously. "Got it?"

"I'm sure that-"

"Got it?"

"Yes ma'am." Pip grumbled, but smiled anyways. "But yeah, besides that it's not that bad. Every now and then I take the train to Manehatten and visit their harbor, but that trip takes a couple hours so I don't go often."

"How's it going?" Pinkie asked, somehow appearing in between Pip and Tex.

Neither of them flinched.

"Aw, you're not fun." Pinkie pouted jokingly. She turned her attention to Pip. "Heya Pip!"

"Hello Pinkie." Pip bowed. "How are you today?"

"I'm great!" Pinkie grinned. "Just showing Tex here around town, trying to get her some friends. I'm glad you're helping too, because it's been exhausting."

"We've been out here for less than hour..."

"Yeah, but it doesn't take that long to get friends."

"Oh." Tex muttered. "Thanks."

"I just meant for a professional friend maker like myself." Pinkie said in an attempt to reassure her.

"Of course you did."

'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that." Pinkie bawled, hugging Tex's hind leg. "I promise I take it back."

"Okay, I forgive you, just get off me." Tex said, uncomfortable with the contact. "I guess I can't blame you for being able to make friends faster than me."

"Yeah! Hey, that brings me to the second lesson. Be yourself." Pinkie said, poking Tex in her ribs.

"I was under the impression that you've seen me for who I am." Tex grunted.

"Remember rule number one." Pinkie chastised in a counterproductive happy tone. "And rule number two and three!"

"What's rule number two and three?"

"Rule number two is always remember rule number one."

"What's rule number three?" Tex asked sarcastically. "Remember rule number two?"

"Nope, rule number three is to always ask questions. You need to sound interested in their lives."

"But I'm not."

"Of course you're not, it's just expected. You aren't supposed to be interested until you're sure you've made a friend."

"That doesn't sound particularly friendly."

"You passed the first test!" Pinkie whooped. "You know the difference between what's friendly and what's not!"

"Amazing." Tex rolled her eyes. "I've made so much progress."

"Come on, I see somepony you should meet!" Pip said quietly, galloping full speed ahead.

Tex shrugged at Pinkie and walked after Pip, matching his speed in stride. Pip ran up to one of the nearby buildings. There was a white unicorn was sitting up against sitting up against the wall, bobbing her head. The color of her mane alternated between blue and aquamarine, and she had a pair of purple tinted sunglasses over her horn. She seemed to be scrawling something on a small parchment when Pip stopped in between her and the sun. The unicorn looked up to see what was blocking her light and stared at him.

"Afternoon, Miss Scratch." Pip panted, making his accent a lot thicker than it usually was. "How are you on this fine day?"

"I'm doing well Pip. Smooth sailings on the seas with you I presume?" Vinyl Scratch asked with a smile, mimicking his voice.

"You bet!" Pip said, smiling weakly.

"So what's up?" Vinyl Scratch asked, her voice returning to normal.

"Not a lot really, just helping out a new friend."

"A school buddy?"

"No, I just met her today, but she's really fun."

"Ohh, a lady friend?" Vinyl cooed.

Pip smiled embarrassingly, before turning around to see Tex standing a few feet behind him. Tex shook off the unease she was feeling and stepped next to Pip.

"This is my new friend." Pip smiled. "Her name is T-"

"Allison." Tex said quickly, not wanting her to know that she was Tex. "My name is Allison."

"Strange name." Vinyl Scratch said, pulling her goggles back down over her eyes.

"I guess so." Tex said, forcing grin.

"I suppose I shouldn't be the one to talk though." She chuckled, extending her hoof. "Nice to meet you Allison."

"Ditto." Tex said, shaking her hoof. "So what do you do around here?"

"Me specifically, or in general?"

"Both."

"Well, I DJ at the local club, but not a lot of ponies show up. In fact I have a show in a couple hours." Vinyl shrugged. "Not really much to do around Ponyville though. The only one that keeps this place interesting is Pinkie and her new friend, what's his name?"

"Caboose." Tex grunted.

"Yeah. Doesn't really seem all there, but he seems to be a pretty cool guy."

Tex choked on her tongue as she tried to hold back a bout of laughter.

"Are you alright?" Vinyl asked.

"Yeah, just what you said." Tex snorted. "You called Caboose of all people a pretty cool guy."

"You broke the rules!" Pinkie yelped from behind a bush. She jumped over the small plant and bounded towards Tex. "Remember? Rule number one? Hello? Weren't you listening?"

"Yeah, but you told me to be myself..."

"But you broke a rule!"

"Why are you mad? How was I supposed to know that rules are more important than the lessons?"

"What's going on?" Vinyl Scratch asked, confused.

"You have to do both at the same time!" Pinkie said quickly.

"But they contradict each other." Tex said, barely managing to contain herself.

"Guys!" Vinyl shouted, disrupting Tex and Pinkie's train of thought. "What's going on here?"

"Oh well Tex just came into town and she's sort of mean, but we decided to get her some friends so maybe she will be less mean, but she just broke rule number one. Don;t be a negative n-"

"So you're the fabled Tex, huh?" Vinyl interrupted with a large smirk.

"Fabled?" Tex echoed.

"Yeah. You know, the legendary Tex who came in and showed those pegasi a thing or two about manners."

"Glad to see someone sees it from my side. All these other ponies are terrified of me an think that I'm going to kill them."

"Pft, those winged boneheads had it coming." Vinyl Scratch muttered. "That's what they get for not letting me perform at the Mile."

"I thought it was because they said you'd fall through the clouds if you walked on them." Pinkie said.

"Excuses!" Vinyl Scratched exclaimed, but chuckled at her own outburst. "Whatever, I'm over it. So how about it Tex?"

"How about what?"

"You want to come to my show?"

Tex looked over to Pip and Pinkie, who were both nodding their heads ecstatically.

"Why not? I've got nothing better to do." Tex sighed.

"Charming." Vinyl said sarcastically, punching Tex on her foreleg. "We'll get along just fine."

"Give it time."

"C'mon, club's this way." Vinyl said as she began walking away. "Can't guarantee you'll meet a lot of ponies, but the ones who show up are alright guys, so you shouldn't have any trouble making friends of them. Maybe you'll score a few points if you buy them a round of drinks."

"I would if I had any money." Tex grunted, then began to smile. "You wouldn't happen to know anybody who you'd pay to see their legs broken, do you?"

"Not off the top of my head, but if I think of any I'll call you up." Vinyl laughed.

Tex looked back to Pinkie and Pip, who were both nodding with approval. Tex nodded her thanks and began to walk away, but hesitated. She turned back to Pinkie and motioned her head.

"You go on ahead, I'll make sure Pip gets home safe and sound." Pinkie said, trotting up to Pip.

"I can find my own way home." Pip assured her.

"Yeah, if you went the normal way." Pinkie said, pulling out a cannon out from under a bush.

Tex shrugged and resumed following Vinyl Scratch. Up in the sky, a familiar orange-yellow pegasus poked his head over one of the clouds and looked down at the black earth pony.

"This ought to be good. Tex is trying to make friends. I feel sorry for the poor soul that gets that title." Grif chuckled quietly as he watched Tex walk away with Vinyl. He began to smile sadistically, before slowly trailing them from above. "And that gives me an idea."

PreviousChapters Next