• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 26,444 Views, 1,103 Comments

Sonic Generations: Friendship is Timeless - GreenS21



Sonic and Tails meet the main cast of "Friendship is Magic" in this re-imagining of "Sonic Generations"!

  • ...
44
 1,103
 26,444

PreviousChapters Next
Sweet Mountain and Planet Wisp, Part I

For a schoolteacher like Cheerilee, to say that her students were excitable was an understatement. Whenever something new was happening in Ponyville, her students were often the first ones to find out about it. Trixie’s first visit, Apple Bloom’s Cutie Pox cutie marks, the Gabby Gums column in the Foal Free Press… On a normal day, Cheerilee would be happy to be caught up in the excitement with them, but this was certainly turning out to be anything but a normal day, if the white sky and odd look of Ponyville were anything to go by. And if she was being really honest with herself, despite the fact that Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, their sisters, and their friends were with them, she wasn’t sure what to make of the new… well, animals.

Her students clearly had their own thoughts, however, and they had quickly followed after the group when Vector suggested they show themselves out. Snips, Snails, Featherweight, Twist, Shady Daze, Truffle Shuffle, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon all followed them, all interested in the group for their own reasons. Well, maybe Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon weren’t actually interested in them, but whatever was driving them to follow the rest of their classmates was enough that they didn’t listen when Cheerilee tried to call them all back. The rose-colored schoolteacher wasn’t a pony that gave up easily, however, and she followed her students through Ponyville, right to the front of Sugarcube Corner.

As she turned the corner, Cheerilee saw Sonic and Twilight herding everyone into the bakery. Tails, Vector, Big Macintosh, and Spike were already inside and Shining Armor, Princess Cadance, Braeburn, Little Strongheart, and the rest of the Main Six were on their way in. Sonic was quick to notice the foals coming towards them and, after Rarity’s tail slipped inside, he reached up and pulled the front door shut, leaving himself, Twilight, Trixie, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders still outside.

Twilight wasn’t exactly pleased that Trixie had to be exposed to the ponies of Ponyville so soon after her harrowing experience, but she kept quiet after a moment’s thought, as she realized that, even with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna inside, the foals could still swarm Sugarcube Corner and leave Trixie feeling even more vulnerable. Knowing Snips and Snails probably still held Trixie in high regard, despite everything that had happened between them, Twilight moved in front of her fellow unicorn to guard her, Sonic quickly moving to her side to aid her while the Cutie Mark Crusaders stood behind Trixie on the stoop.

As expected, Snips and Snails were at the front of the group, wanting to see amazing feats from the Great and Powerful Trixie. All the foals behind them (save for Diamond Tiara and possibly Silver Spoon) were more interested in Sonic, all of them excitedly asking questions or wanting to touch him. The blue hedgehog tried to keep them at bay, glad that they were still little and not full-grown ponies yet, while Twilight tried to keep Snips and Snails from getting to Trixie, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo eventually moving to help them while Cheerilee tried to get her students back under control.

After about a minute of this, Sugarcube Corner’s front door opened slightly and Blaze stepped out onto the stoop, having heard Sonic and Twilight’s voice amongst all the noise outside. The foals all gasped and backed away when she stepped out, save for Diamond Tiara, who didn’t look impressed with the newcomer at all, unlike Silver Spoon. Blaze surveyed the scene for a moment before looking at Sonic and Twilight and asking, “Sonic, Twilight, what is going on out here?”

Sonic looked back at her and shrugged, “Kids, Blaze.”

Blaze looked at Trixie and asked, “Who are you?”

Before the azure unicorn could answer, Snips piped up, “She’s the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Snails laughed slowly, “Heh heh, yeah~.”

Twilight turned to look at Blaze and asked, “Uh, Blaze? Could you come here for a second, please?” Blaze looked confused, but did as she was asked, pulling the front door closed behind her as she stepped down. Once Blaze was standing in front of her, Twilight leaned over and started whispering something in the cat’s ear, mostly so that Cheerilee’s students wouldn’t hear.

When Twilight was done, Blaze leaned back and asked, “Are you certain?” Twilight nodded in response; Blaze nodded back and looked back at Trixie, walking over to her. The azure mare began to feel nervous at the even look the cat was giving her, but Blaze spoke before she could panic, “Miss Trixie, may I see your foreleg, please?”

Trixie asked, “W-Why? What are you going to do?”

Blaze held out her right hand, “Just let me see your foreleg. I promise I won’t harm you.” Still a bit nervous, Trixie held up her right foreleg and placed her hoof in Blaze’s hand. The princess looked at it for a moment before saying, “It would appear Twilight is correct. You have been forced to endure blunt trauma and mental scarring. Well, I can certainly do something for one of the two.” She raised her left hand and placed it just above Trixie’s knee. The showmare began to sweat as she saw what appeared to be fire creeping around the hand, but Blaze gave her a stern look, “Don’t panic, and don’t close your eyes.”

Trixie nodded shakily, “O-Okay.” Blaze slowly lowered her hand onto Trixie’s knee as the door to Sugarcube Corner opened and Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash looked outside, wondering what was going on. Blaze began to focus her flames into her hand, which began to glow red as she placed it atop Trixie’s knee.

Sonic, Twilight, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo watched silently, their mouths slightly agape while Cheerilee, her class, Rarity, Rainbow, and Applejack looked considerably more shocked as flames began to spread out from the palm of Blaze’s hand. Trixie was about to panic, but then she realized there was a difference between these flames and the feeling a pony gets when they accidentally touch a pot on the stove. “It… That feels warm… Soothing, even,” she murmured.

Blaze nodded as the flames spread across Trixie’s body, “My flames are not dangerous except when I will them to be. And right now, I am willing them to burn away the physical trauma that you have endured.” Trixie gave her a grateful look as she was now completely engulfed in flames, Shady Daze getting out of his shock long enough to get a picture or two for the school newspaper. After a minute, the flames quickly receded back into Blaze’s hand and she removed it, allowing Trixie to take her foreleg back. “Do you feel better now?” she asked.

Trixie glanced down at herself for a second before saying, “I… do.” She looked at Blaze and sat down, removing her hat with her hooves and holding it in front of her as she said, “I… Thank you. I cannot find the proper words to express how grateful I am to you.”

Blaze placed a hand on her shoulder, saying, “That’s quite all right. You have been through quite the ordeal from what I have been told. Someone like you needs the love and kindness of others, not admonition.” Tears threatened to spew from Trixie’s eyes as she put her hat back on and Rainbow, Rarity, and Applejack looked surprised at her words.

Cheerilee turned her attention to her students after a moment of silence, saying, “All right, my little ponies. I understand many of you were very interested in Ponyville’s new arrivals, but I believe this is a delicate situation, one that we should not intrude on any further. So if you’ll all please hold back your curiosity for the time being, we should all probably go back to the schoolhouse for the time being.” Her students were disappointed, but they knew Cheerilee would never lie to them, and they did think that display by Blaze was cool. So they all agreed to go back save for Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, though the latter looked like she wanted to go back.

Applejack spoke up, “Excuse me, Miss Cheerilee? Is it all right if Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo stay here? Ah’d kinda like mah sister nearby right now, and Ah think Rarity and Rainbow Dash would like Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo around too.” The two mares in question nodded in agreement with Applejack’s thoughts.

Cheerilee replied, “Yes, of course, Applejack. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on right now, but I can’t say it looks like anything safe. As such, I want my students to be safe until they have somepony who can take them home, but as long as you three are here, I see no reason to keep them.” The three fillies all looked happy at that, not only because they would get to stay out, but also because it meant there was less chance of Amy finding them.

Of course, nothing can ever be that simple. Diamond Tiara finally decided to break her silence, exclaiming, “Are you kidding me?!” The exclamation was so unexpected even Sonic stared at her in shock. “We’re going back to school because she puts on a light show?!” the filly yelled, pointing a hoof at Blaze.

Cheerilee sternly said, “Diamond Tiara, what have I told you about showing respect for others?!”

The filly asked, “Why should I have to show respect to a… cat?!”

Before Blaze could show the filly what it was like to get on her bad side, Apple Bloom stepped forward and said, “Because Blaze is a princess, Diamond Tiara, the princess of a whole ‘nother world!”

Diamond Tiara snidely asked, “Oh yeah? Did Granny Smith tell you that?”

Silver Spoon added, “And shouldn’t you be addressing her by her title if she’s a princess?”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle stepped up alongside Apple Bloom, Scootaloo saying, “She told us herself while she was talking to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna!”

Sweetie Belle added, “She also said she doesn’t like being called a princess, especially when she’s not in her own dimension! She doesn’t even like it when her guards call her that!”

Unnoticed by everyone except for Blaze, Sonic reached back into his quills and pulled a small black cell phone out and looked down at it, moving his thumb on it a few times before pointing it in Diamond Tiara’s direction as the filly retorted, “You three must have hit your heads during your latest, lamest attempt to get your cutie marks. No princess would ever want to have anything to do with you blank flanks.”

Apple Bloom said, “The princesses were restin’ up, Diamond Tiara! They can do whatever they want while they’re restin’!”

Diamond Tiara smirked, “Yeah, they can, but there are lots of things better they could be doing than talking to a bunch of blank flanks like you. Or having mercy on a fraud like that unicorn.” Trixie looked fairly unnerved as she was dragged into the argument, but Blaze’s anger was beginning to break her restraints. Diamond Tiara looked at the cat and asked, “Why would you help her, if that’s even what you did? Do you even know what she’s done?”

Blaze, trying to maintain a level head as Sonic had told her in the past, replied, “My reasons, if I have any, are my own. Frankly, I don’t believe I need a reason to help someone. And as for what Trixie has done before, I may not know, but I have a feeling she’s not the same mare she was then as she is now. It may be she is learning from her past rather than dwelling on it.”

Diamond Tiara glared at her, “That doesn’t make any sense.”

Blaze asked, “Or does it make sense and you’re choosing to ignore it?”

Diamond Tiara replied, “No, it just doesn’t, and you’re a weirdo for thinking it does.”

Cheerilee marched up behind the filly and angrily said, “All right, that’s enough, Diamond Tiara! Your father will hear about this when he comes to pick you up!”

Diamond Tiara asked, “About what? That these blank flanks are making up stories or that a fraud that could’ve ruined his business is suddenly being treated nicely?!”

Trixie looked down at the ground at that, Twilight moving to her side and wrapping a foreleg around her, murmuring, “Trixie…”

Suddenly, a new voice was heard from the side of Sugarcube Corner, “What’s going on out here?” Everyone looked to the side to see an earth pony with a grayish amber coat, a dark gray mane, and three sacks of money for a cutie mark wearing a collar and a tie with a dollar sign on it come around the side of the building, Silver Spoon backing away a bit when she saw him.

Cheerilee gasped, “Filthy Rich!”

As he slid his thumb over the screen of his phone, Sonic leaned over to Twilight as Blaze looked at her and whispered, “Who’s he?”

Twilight whispered back, Blaze hearing her, “He’s Diamond Tiara’s father and the owner of Rich’s Barnyard Bargains.”

Blaze looked back at him as he walked over to Cheerilee and murmured, “I pray he’s a little nicer than his daughter.”

When he was standing in front of Cheerilee, Filthy Rich spoke, “Hello Miss Cheerilee. I heard the commotion, but I didn’t expect to see you out here.”

The schoolteacher replied, “Well, my class got a little excited when they saw the, er… new arrivals to Ponyville.”

Filthy Rich turned to look at Sonic and smiled, “Ah yes, I heard about you from the Mayor. Your name is Sonic, correct?”

The blue hedgehog replied, “Yeah, that’s me. You got a name you prefer, Filthy Rich, or do you just go by that?”

The stallion replied, “I prefer ‘Rich’, if you don’t mind.” Sonic nodded; Filthy Rich then asked, “Now what is all the commotion about?”

Blaze spoke, “I regret to inform you that your daughter was not being very amicable, sir. Not to me, not to her classmates, and not to Trixie.”

Filthy Rich noticed the azure unicorn and said, “Trixie… Ah, that’s right. She put on quite a show when she was here.” He then looked at his daughter and asked, “Diamond Tiara, is what I’m hearing true? Were you being rude to others for no reason?”

The filly replied, “No, Dad! I didn’t do that! I had reasons for everything I said!”

Sonic spoke up, “Oh yeah? Well then, maybe you could explain those reasons after your father hears exactly what you said.” He held up his phone and moved his thumb across the screen a few times before walking over to Filthy Rich and holding it up, its screen pointing at him and Diamond Tiara as he tapped the ‘PLAY’ button on the screen.

The screen displayed Diamond Tiara as she spoke, “You three must have hit your heads during your latest, lamest attempt to get your cutie marks. No princess would ever want to have anything to do with you blank flanks.” As she watched, Diamond Tiara’s eyes went wide while Sonic smirked down at her, making sure the phone was well out of her reach.

The filly was tempted to try to grab the strange device a few times, but each time she remembered her father was right there and would get suspicious. When the video was done replaying, Sonic flipped the phone around and closed his hand around it while Diamond Tiara sputtered, “What… How did you…?”

Sonic shrugged, “Eh, call it a little magic of my own.”

Filthy Rich glared down at his daughter and asked, “Diamond Tiara, what do you have to say for yourself?” The filly looked up at him, her mouth hanging open as she couldn’t find anything to say that wouldn’t make it seem like she wasn’t being mean for no reason. After a moment, Filthy Rich looked up at Cheerilee and said, “If you don’t mind, Miss Cheerilee, I think I’ll be taking Diamond Tiara home now.”

Cheerilee replied, “O-Of course, Mr. Rich! I’m just keeping the other children until somepony can pick them up.”

Filthy Rich nodded and turned back to Sonic, saying, “I apologize for my daughter’s actions. I do not agree with her bullying or denigrating others for no reason.”

Diamond Tiara sputtered, “But… But…!”

Sonic replied, “That’s all right. I don’t much care for lying myself.” Filthy Rich nodded and began to lead Diamond Tiara home while Cheerilee began to lead Silver Spoon and the rest of the foals back to the schoolhouse.

Once both parties had moved away a bit, Sonic turned back to the others. Blaze smiled at him, “Well played, Sonic, exposing her as a bully to her father without bullying her yourself.”

Rainbow stepped out onto the stoop and said, “That was awesome! What is that thing? I should get one!”

Sonic replied, “It’s just something from home that I keep around. I don’t think its main feature would work here in Equestria since I don’t think I could get a signal with it. Not that I use it that much anyway.”

Scootaloo spoke up, “Hey, Sonic? Hey, Blaze?” The two of them looked down at her and she said, “Thanks for sticking up for us and Trixie too.”

Blaze replied, “I’m glad I could help.”

Sonic nodded, “I’ll always stick up for others, especially if they’re being picked on for no reason or people won’t give others a chance.” The Cutie Mark Crusaders, Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Trixie all smiled at that.

Rarity soon asked, “Why don’t you all come inside? I believe Princess Celestia is almost done explaining the situation to Shining Armor and Princess Cadance.” They all nodded and walked into Sugarcube Corner.

As they stepped inside, they all heard the sound of crying coming from upstairs. As Sonic pulled the door closed behind him, Twilight spotted the Cakes standing next to the counter near the stairs, looking upstairs anxiously. Twilight walked over to them, coming to a stop in front of the group’s usual table, which Tails was working at, and asked, “What’s going on, Mr. and Mrs. Cake?”

Cup Cake turned to her and said, “Oh, I don’t think it’s anything too serious, dearie, but the twins were woken up by all the noise being made outside. Pinkie Pie went upstairs a minute ago, saying she’d calm them down for us.”

Sonic came over and asked, “Where’s Silver? Did he come in here?”

Carrot Cake looked at him and replied, “You mean that white hedgehog? He went upstairs with Pinkie, saying he wanted to help. I’m not sure how he can help, though, seeing as he’s never…” He trailed off as the sound of the twins crying was suddenly quieted.

The Cakes looked back up towards the top of the stairs, Cup Cake calling, “Pinkie? Is everything all right up there?”

The pink pony called back, “Everything’s A-okay, Mrs. Cake! Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake are in really high spirits right now!” She appeared in the doorway a moment later and, to the Cakes’ shock, she was wrapped in a green aura and floating! “And so am I!” she said before she started floating down the stairs.

Cup Cake exclaimed, “Pinkie! How in Equestria…?” She trailed off as Pound Cake, Pumpkin Cake, and several stuffed toys floated down behind her, all wrapped in the same green aura. Silver came hovering down after them a second later.

Blaze walked over and smiled, “Ah, it’s just Silver doing all that. There’s nothing to worry about.”

Carrot Cake looked at her as Silver lowered himself onto the ground near the stairs and started moving his hands to move Pinkie, Pumpkin Cake, Pound Cake, and the toys around near the ceiling and said, “Nothing to worry about?! He’s carrying our babies around with his… magic! There’s plenty to worry about!” Blaze raised an eyebrow at him.

Silver made the Cake twins and the toys move around the ceiling in various ways while Pinkie ‘swam’ after them, the silver hedgehog watching them and moving his hands all the while. Trixie was reminded of the show Twilight put on for the ambassadors from Saddle Arabia as she and the others watched. Trixie walked over to the lavender unicorn while still watching and whispered to her, “Does he really know how to use magic?”

Twilight whispered back, “No, he’s just psychokinetic, Trixie.”

The azure unicorn looked confused, “What’s the difference?” Twilight just shrugged lightly to her, not sure how to give her a short explanation, before they both turned back to look. Behind them, Shining Armor, who was standing in the back with the princesses, looked away from the display at his sister for a moment. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had filled him and Cadance in, but he was having some difficulty wrapping his head around everything.

After a minute, Silver placed his hands together in front of him and lowered his head. As he held that pose, Pinkie Pie floated down and did a flip before she was dropped onto her hooves while Pumpkin and Pound Cake, both of them giggling excitedly while hanging onto the stuffed toys, were levitated over to their parents, Mr. Cake catching Pumpkin Cake while Mrs. Cake caught Pound Cake.

Silver raised his head and lowered his hands to his sides, looking over at the Cake twins and smiling, “Did you have fun?” Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake made excited noises before they both yawned loudly.

Cup Cake looked up at Silver and said, “Erm, thank you for helping Pinkie Pie calm down Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake, Silver dearie. But next time, could you please check with us before you lift our babies and carry them around like that?”

Silver rubbed the back of his head as he replied, “Uh, sure, Mrs. Cake. Guess I should’ve thought of that beforehand.” Satisfied with that response, the Cakes took their babies upstairs to put them back in their cribs.

After they had left, Vector spoke up, “All right, you can quit it now. Or are you planning on hiding yourself from view all day?”

Little Strongheart, Spike, and the ponies looked at him oddly until a familiar voice spoke up, “Looks like your detective skills are still sharp, even after being temporarily frozen, Vector.” At those words, a familiar chameleon appeared just above the front door, his hands and feet holding him up against the wall.

Vector smirked up at him, “Well, of course, Espio! I’m not about to lose my touch! Besides, after all the times we’ve worked together, you think I wouldn’t be able to notice the signs that you’re camouflaging yourself?” Espio let go of the wall and dropped down, crouching down when he landed and then standing up straight.

“Whoa! Dude, that’s creepy, but awesome,” Spike commented.

Zecora, her saddlebags on her back, smiled, “Ah, a chameleon, one whose color can turn many hues; a skill that can be useful when searching for clues.”

Silver grinned, “Espio!”

The chameleon walked over and shook Silver’s hand, saying, “Good to see you again, Silver. I trust everything has been well.” The silver hedgehog nodded in response.

Sonic looked at Blaze and said, “Speaking of seeing others again, what happened to Cream and Cheese, Blaze?”

The cat looked back at him as she replied, “They went after Amy when she started chasing Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo. You didn’t see her?”

Sonic shook his head, “Nope, just Amy.”

Blaze looked away and murmured, “They must’ve lost track of her, then.”

Tails spoke up a moment later, “Uh, guys?” Everyone looked at him, now noticing that he was wearing a Sherlock Holmes-like hat and holding a magnifying glass in his right hand.

Sonic pointed, “What’s with the hat, Tails?”

The fox shrugged as he moved around to the right side of the table, “Pinkie said I couldn’t use her magnifying glass unless I wore it. She was very insistent about it.”

Pinkie piped up, “Well, of course! You can’t do detective work without one!”

Espio said, “We do.”

Vector nodded, “Yep! No fancy hats for the Chaotix Detective Agency! Although part of the reason for that is to keep Charmy from getting any ideas.”

Pinkie got up on his snout, looking right in his eyes, and said, “Maybe you should reconsider that! You should never doubt the power of a good hat!”

Sonic looked back at Tails and shrugged, “Sorry. Anyway, what’s up?”

Tails replied, “Well, I finished going over that device that was controlling Trixie.” Spike and the other members of the Main Six raised their eyebrows at Trixie, the azure unicorn feeling their stares on the back of her head.

From the back, Luna asked, “Did you find anything, Tails?”

Tails answered, “Not much that I didn’t expect to find. But this in particular caught my interest.” He held the magnifying glass up in front of the table and everyone (save for Shining Armor and the princesses) moved in for a closer look. Through the magnifying glass, they could see a green, rectangle-shaped microchip sitting on the table.

“What is it?” Twilight asked.

Tails explained, “Technically, you could call it the brain of the device. I’ve seen it in a lot of Eggman’s robots. It emits signals that make his robots do what he commands them to do. Without it, they could pretty much do whatever they want, whether Eggman likes it or not.”

Rainbow asked, “So what’s that got to do with, uh…?”

Tails lowered the magnifying glass and said, “I’ve done some safe tests on it before, and I’ve found that certain signals can be detected by the brain depending on how sensitive someone’s hearing is. And when the brain receives the signal, it will automatically carry it out.” He gestured to Sonic as he went on, “Like, say Sonic received a signal telling him to run. He’d start running and be unable to stop his feet for any reason until the signal itself stopped, not even to sleep.”

Sonic winced, “Ugh. And I sure do get grouchy if I don’t get my eight hours of sleep.”

Applejack asked, “So this is all that Eggman’s doin’, is that what you’re sayin’, Tails?”

The fox rubbed the back of his head as he said, “I’m not entirely sure yet.” He looked at Trixie and asked, “Trixie, did you have control over any part of your body while that device was active?”

The azure mare looked down, “No. I had no control over myself at all. I was saying things I shouldn’t have been saying and being told to do things I didn’t want to do, but my body wouldn’t listen to me. It was doing what it was told, and I was struggling to regain control over myself.” Twilight gave her a soft nuzzle, Trixie appreciating its warmth. Tails shook his head and sighed, feeling bad for bringing it up even though it was necessary.

Vector asked, “So what’s confusing you, Tails?”

Tails looked back at the device and said, “Well, from what I’ve seen, this looks like a neuro-controller, something I’m sure Eggman could build. But from what Trixie says, it sounds like she was under the influence of a mind control device.”

Scootaloo shrugged, “What’s the difference between them?”

Tails asked, “Are you all familiar with mind control?”

Twilight glanced in Shining Armor’s direction as she said, “We kind of are…”

Sonic added, “And we’ve sure had some experience with it recently, right Tails?”

The fox nodded while scratching his head, “Yeah…” He then said, “Well, a neuro-controller kind of acts similarly to mind control, but there is a difference. When the body’s receiving a signal, it acts on it, even if the person being controlled is sleeping, but usually they can control everything else, which is huge compared to mind control. If it was just a neuro-controller, Trixie should’ve been able to tell Twilight what was going on and remember who did it to her.”

Silver asked, “So is it a mind control device or a neuro-controller?”

Tails replied, “That’s the confusing part!” He looked back at the table and said, “I’ve looked this thing over several times, but I’ve found nothing, NOTHING to suggest that it was a mind control device! Ideally, a mind control device would have to have something extra in it in order to take control of someone’s mind! Sure, maybe something got smashed, fell out, or whatever when it was broken, but there should be evidence that something was there! And there’s not!”

Big Macintosh spoke up, “So in other words, it can’t be a mind controller.”

Tails nodded, “Yes, that’s correct, Big Macintosh! This is definitely a neuro-controller, yet it was somehow able to act like a mind control device!” He shook his head, “It doesn’t make sense!”

Fluttershy spoke up, “Um, Sonic, you said you’ve had some experience with mind control, um, recently. Was that with Dr. Eggman or…”

Sonic looked back at her and said, “It was with Eggman, Fluttershy, but I doubt he could shrink a mind control device down to anything this small, especially considering his prototype ran on alien energy and he drained two full canisters of the stuff in under a minute. Sure, there was a big one too that might have been more efficient, but I don’t see how he could’ve shrunk it down to something tiny that works for more than a minute between then and now.”

Espio crossed his arms, “This is curious. Tails can usually figure Eggman’s machines out, but this time, even he’s confused. That doesn’t rule out Eggman as the likely culprit, but we have no evidence to explain how or why he did it.”

Zecora looked at him, “That is true, but whatever the reason, no good can come from this kind of treason.”

Sonic said, “Zecora’s right. Eggman’s gotta be around here, cooking up some new plan. We should just ask him when we find him. He does like to go on and on about his plans, after all.”

Tails shrugged, “That’s true.”

Twilight looked at Trixie as she groaned and held a hoof up to her forehead. “Are you okay, Trixie?” she asked.

The unicorn replied, “I think so. But with all that has happened, I feel very exhausted, especially after…”

Twilight nodded, “Ah, right.” She looked at Tails and asked, “Tails, do you think you can take Trixie to the library and help her up to my bed? A nap might do her some good.”

Tails smiled, “Sure!” He took Pinkie’s hat off and placed it on the table with the magnifying glass; he then turned to Sonic and brought out his radar, handing it to him as he said, “The radar went off before you guys came in, but I silenced it so I could keep working. Can you check it while I’m gone, Sonic?”

Sonic took the radar in his left hand and held his right thumb up, “You got it, bud!” Tails nodded and brought the Warp Ring out. He then looked at Trixie and started for the door, the azure unicorn following him a moment later.

As the two of them walked towards the door, Spike and the Ponyville ponies looked at Trixie. As much as some of them wanted to call her out for the last time she had showed her face in town, between having to get away from Cheerilee’s inquisitive class and finding out she had fully been controlled by someone or something… well, they had been distracted, to say the least, but what they were seeing now made even Spike and Rainbow Dash think twice about saying anything.

The first time she’d left, Trixie refused to admit she’d been outdone and ran away with the aid of a smokescreen. At the end of her second visit, she’d seemed meek after the Alicorn Amulet was removed and before some of them had seen her talking to Twilight at the end of her show for the Saddle Arabians, but then she seemingly regained some of her old self and took off again. Now, she was walking with heavy steps and her gaze was tilted towards the ground, nothing like the Trixie they knew. It was unsettling enough that nopony could find it in them to say anything.

Celestia, Luna, and Cadance had all watched the events unfold in front of them and, despite some of them being confused, decided to remain quiet with the rest of them. Shining Armor, however, wasn’t content with his confusion, especially not after being given a rough idea of what he’d missed thus far, and he rose up and walked down from the back, going over to his sister. As Tails and Trixie stepped outside, he asked, “Twily, what exactly did she do to you?”

Twilight looked up at him and replied, “Shining, it’s really not a big deal. We talked it over afterwards and made up. There’s nothing you need to worry about.”

Shining said, “That doesn’t really answer my question. This is something I’d kind of like to know about.”

Sonic could see that Twilight didn’t really want to bring up what happened with Trixie so soon after it happened and offered, “Dude, I think she did answer your question, especially if you’re asking for the reason I think you are.”

Shining looked at him and said, “Twilight can speak for herself, Sonic. You don’t need to put words in her mouth.” His voice had a slight edge to it as he spoke.

“Yeah, but anyone who can understand what she’s going through can speak for Trixie,” Sonic retorted.

Shining raised an eyebrow, “And you do?”

Sonic answered, “I’ve seen things, and I’ve helped out folks who’ve had to go through the same thing she did. And you’re asking a question that really doesn’t need to be asked, especially not when Trixie can hear it.” He gestured towards the front door, where Trixie and Tails were standing in front of the Warp Ring, Trixie having stopped to listen in.

Shining looked back at Sonic and said, “I’m looking out for my sister, okay? If Trixie did something to her, I want to know about it, and she’ll answer for it if need be.”

Twilight spoke, “Shining, she was under mind control. Everything she did wasn’t done consciously. You can’t blame her for that.”

Shining asked, “But what if she hadn’t been stopped, Twily? What if she got away with whatever she was being told to do?”

Twilight looked like she had something to say, but she pushed it aside and said, “Then it would’ve been my fault for not being prepared. She knows what could’ve happened if the mind control on her hadn’t been broken. You should’ve seen her afterwards; she just about fell apart in front of me!”

Sonic spoke, “And what you’re doing is pulling up memories both old and new. Whatever she used to be, she’s trying to get over it, and your interrogating her isn’t going to help her one bit. So if you have any sympathy at all for what she had to go through, you’ll drop it, dude.” Shining looked a bit miffed at being told off by a hedgehog, but he took a few steps back, Cadance coming down to stand by him. Sonic looked out the front door and shot Trixie a smile as he held his right thumb up. She returned the gesture with a grateful smile before turning to Tails and following him through the Warp Ring.

Twilight looked at Sonic and said, “Thank you, Sonic.” He smiled and nodded at her.

Blaze spoke, “Now that that matter is settled, we should check Tails’ radar and determine where we must go next.”

Sweetie Belle asked, “Um, Miss Blaze? Can we please come with you?”

Apple Bloom said, “Yeah! Ah ain’t got ta see any part o’ Sonic’s world yet!”

Scootaloo asked, “So can we?”

Blaze replied, “Well, I have no qualms with you three coming with, but you shouldn’t be asking me for permission.” The three fillies looked at Sonic, Shining Armor, the princesses, and the Main Six expectantly at that.

Rainbow said, “I’m fine with them coming with! You girls are too, right?”

Rarity shook her head, “Oh, heavens no! Honestly, Rainbow Dash! Don’t you remember that out of control volcano we went to?! And then being attacked by Dark Gaia’s minions?! I’m not going to put Sweetie Belle in such danger!”

Applejack said, “Normally, I’d be agreein’ with ya, Rainbow, but Rarity’s got a point. Lately, our little adventure’s been… well, it ain’t exactly been safe from the get-go, but it’s been particularly dangerous lately. Ah’m not about to risk it this time.”

Blaze turned back to the three fillies, not sure what to say. As she and Luna walked out of the back, Celestia spoke, “Rarity and Applejack are only concerned for your safety, girls. Perhaps you should listen to them.”

The Cutie Mark Crusaders all slumped at that, groaning, “Awwww…”

Applejack said, “Now don’t start that, y’all. Since we can’t be sure there’s nothin’ out there, Big Mac can walk ya either to ya homes or yer clubhouse.” She then had a thought and turned to the red stallion, saying, “Speakin’ o’ which… We managed ta find Granny Smith earlier, Big Macintosh, but since Apple Bloom and her friends are here, she’s all alone at Sweet Apple Acres. Ah’m sure she’s takin’ a nap or somethin’, but Ah don’t like the idea of leavin’ her alone fer very long, do you?”

Big Macintosh shook his head, “Eenope.”

Braeburn asked, “Is that so?” He trotted over to Big Macintosh and nudged his side, “In that case, Ah’ll go with ya, Big Mac! It ain’t been that long since our last reunion, but it’ll be nice ta see Sweet Apple Acres again!”

Little Strongheart walked up to him and said, “Braeburn has said good things about Sweet Apple Acres. Do you suppose I could come with and see your apple orchards, Big Macintosh?”

The red stallion nodded, “Eeyup.”

Twilight looked at Sonic and asked, “So where do you think we’ll be going this time, Sonic?”

Sonic shrugged, “Well, releasing Dark Gaia was Eggman’s second most recent plan. …No wait; it was the third most recent. So my guess is this time we’ll be going somewhere in Eggman’s Interstellar Amusement Park.” The Cutie Mark Crusaders’ ears perked up at that, and a second later, as Sonic was raising the radar to open it up, he heard a scratching noise below him and looked down to see the three fillies on their backs looking up at him between his shoes.

“Eggman, you say?” Scootaloo asked.

“Did you say interstellar?” Sweetie Belle added.

“And amusement park?” Apple Bloom finished.

“Yes, yes, and yes. Why?” Sonic asked, raising an eyebrow.

The three fillies glanced at each other before they looked back up at him, smiling innocently as Sweetie Belle said, “Just asking.”

Meanwhile, at the library

Tails led Trixie into the library, the unicorn looking over the bookshelves and adequately decorated interior. Tails walked over to the stairs and called, “Trixie!” The unicorn turned her attention to him and he pointed up the stairs, saying, “Twilight’s bed is up here. Come on, I’ll show you.” He started up towards Twilight and Spike’s bedroom, Trixie quickly trotting over to the stairs and going up after him.

She walked through the doorway at the top of the stairs and found herself in the duo’s personal area of the library. She walked to the middle of the room and noticed Tails’ tails sticking out over the top of a nearby ledge that had a winding staircase leading up to it. She waited patiently until the tails disappeared and the fox stuck his head over the ledge and said, “Up here, Trixie. I was just making sure Twilight’s bed was made.” Trixie looked away, causing Tails to raise an eyebrow, “Uh, Trixie? Are you okay?”

The unicorn asked, in a voice that was so quiet that Tails’ sensitive ears just barely heard her, “Why are you doing this?”

That confused Tails further. He spun his namesakes around and flew down to Trixie’s side. He then placed his left hand on her back, leaning forward and asking, “What do you mean?”

Trixie looked at him out of the corner of her eye and said, “You may not know this, but when I first came to Ponyville, my boasting very nearly put it in danger when those two colts, Snips and Snails, wanted to see me vanquish a real Ursa Major. Thankfully, they only found an Ursa Minor, and Twilight Sparkle was able to soothe it, but I left hoping to someday prove I was better than her. I eventually learned about the Alicorn Amulet, which made me stronger than ever but also made me crueler the more I used it. When I came back to Ponyville Twilight Sparkle and her friends were eventually able to get me to take it off and I later left, vowing to do things differently. And look what’s come of it: I was brainwashed and I attempted to kill Twilight Sparkle!”

Tails shrugged, “And?”

Trixie looked at him and said, “I can’t say I’ve been a good filly lately. It was one thing when I was corrupted by the Alicorn Amulet, but if she hadn’t stopped me this time, I would’ve been responsible for killing her! How can she forgive me after that? And now that you know, how can you show me kindness?”

For a long moment, Tails just stared at her. Then he spoke, “Trixie… I think the problem is you’re speaking with this…” He raised his right hand and pointed at her head, just above her horn, “…and not with this.” He pulled his hand back and then pointed it down at her chest.

Trixie looked down at his finger in confusion, “With my… heart?”

Tails nodded, “You always want to take that with you. Sometimes, it can say more than your brain could ever hope to. That’s something Sonic taught me.” He brought his finger back and let his arm dangle at his side.

Trixie looked at him and said, “I don’t understand…”

Tails replied, “I know, it’s not always easy. It’s not always easy to block off that voice in your head in favor of another; we’ve all been there before. But if there’s one thing I can tell, Trixie, it’s that, right now, you’re sincere. You’re not scared to ask me, someone you just met, an important question. That says a lot, and I’m sure Twilight knows that too.”

Trixie asked, “You really think so?”

Tails nodded, “Sure! She’s letting you stay here, in her home, in her bed, and try to recuperate some after a terrible experience. You could never express that much care in words.” He began to lead her up the staircase as he continued, “She said you two will talk when this is all over; she’s going to do her best to help you get over this. I’m sure it’ll take time, but you can break those walls down. Learn to speak with your heart, Trixie, and you won’t just have a way to communicate with Twilight, but when your voice comes clear, any of the ponies in Ponyville that don’t like you will learn to get over those bad early impressions. Just take your time.”

By now, they had reached the top of the staircase. Tails took his hand off Trixie’s back and she walked over to Twilight’s bed. Tails came over to her as she turned around and looked down at the floor. She looked up at him a second later, using her magic to take off her hat and cape, and said, “I… I think I can do that.”

Tails nodded, “Good.” He held out his hands and took Trixie’s hat and cape, setting the hat atop one of the bed posts and folding up the cape and placing it on the nearby dresser as he said, “Just don’t fall apart, Trixie. Give it a chance, okay?” Looking back at Trixie, he saw her nod while smiling a little before she climbed into Twilight’s bed, pulling the covers over her. Tails sighed quietly to himself as she closed her eyes. His words seemed to have an effect, but would they have an effect on her dreams? He quietly walked down the stairs and threw the Warp Ring up in the middle of the floor, that particular thought still in his head as he stepped through it.

A second later, he stepped through the other side of the ring, which shrunk down and landed in his right hand when he held it up. He then walked into Sugarcube Corner and saw Sonic flipping the radar closed. Everybody, minus Big Macintosh, Braeburn, Little Strongheart, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders and plus the Cakes, looked up as he walked in. Sonic waved, “Hey, Tails.”

The fox waved back as he came over, “Hey, guys. Where’d Braeburn, Big Macintosh, Little Strongheart, and, uh, the Cutie Mark Crusaders go?”

Applejack replied, “Sweet Apple Acres. Big Mac and Braeburn are goin’ ta keep an eye on Granny Smith, Little Strongheart wants ta see our apple trees, and the clubhouse mah sister and her friends use isn’t far from the farm, so they took them back with them.”

Twilight asked, “How’s Trixie doing?”

Tails rubbed the back of his head as he said, “Well, I talked to her a bit and she settled down for a nap, but… Well, who knows how she’ll be when she wakes up? There’s no telling what kind of dreams she’ll have.”

Zecora shook her head, “It’s true; she acted as though she deserved all the blame. For all she’s done, what’s happened to her is truly a shame.”

Celestia walked over to Tails and draped a wing over his back, saying, “I’m sure you did all you could to help her feel better, Tails. Don’t be mad at yourself.”

Tails sighed, “Yeah, I know…”

Zecora started for the door; when she reached it, she looked back over her shoulder and said, “I must take my belongings back to the Everfree, then perhaps I will provide Miss Trixie with some company.”

Blaze asked, “Are you sure, Miss Zecora?”

Zecora replied, “Worry not; I will not do anything if she should mind. But it sounds as though she would appreciate seeing a little kind.” She then turned and left Sugarcube Corner.

Sonic handed Tails’ radar to him a moment later. As he took it, the fox asked, “Where are we going?”

Sonic replied, “The new signal’s coming from across town, from the hospital. It shouldn’t take too long to get there.”

Tails looked at the others and asked, “So is everybody else besides Mr. and Mrs. Cake coming along?”

Silver nodded, “You bet! Blaze and I aren’t sitting this one out!”

Vector added, “And Charmy’s the only one still missing. I’m sure you guys will be able to find him, but he’s still a Chaotix and we look out for each other, no matter what!”

Celestia nodded, “Then I suppose we’re ready to go.” She looked at the Cakes and said, “Thank you for your gracious hospitality, Mr. and Mrs. Cake.”

The two earth ponies bowed, Cup Cake saying, “O-Of course, Princess Celestia!”

Carrot Cake nodded, “It was our pleasure!” With that, the group exited Sugarcube Corner.

Meanwhile, at the Cutie Mark Crusaders’ clubhouse

“Can y’all believe it?! They’re goin’ to an amusement park!” Apple Bloom exclaimed. She and her fellow crusaders were standing near the door as they talked, far away from the portal on the wall in the back.

“Yeah, but didn’t you hear? It’s Dr. Eggman’s amusement park! And that guy is no good at all,” Scootaloo said.

Sweetie Belle spoke, “And that’s why we need to be there! What if they get on the rides while they’re there? If they haven’t been tested, they could get in real trouble! We could do that for them!”

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow, “Test the rides?”

Sweetie Belle nodded, “Yeah! You know, just to make sure everything’s working properly and this Eggman guy’s standards are met! You can’t have a good amusement park if your standards aren’t being met!”

Scootaloo asked, “But how are we supposed to get home once we really get into the park?”

Sweetie Belle replied, “That’s easy! We’ll stay close by Rarity and the others the whole time and follow them back through the Warp Ring when they’re ready to leave!”

Apple Bloom glanced down at the floor, “Ah don’t know, Sweetie Belle. Applejack and Rarity both said we should stay here, and Princess Celestia supported them. Ah don’t feel right goin’ against what mah sister says, ‘specially after that time Fluttershy let us have our sleepover at her house.”

Sweetie Belle replied, “Yeah, but that time, we hadn’t been the Cutie Mark Crusaders for long. We didn’t even have our clubhouse yet! This time, we’ll be ready!”

Scootaloo shrugged, “Well, we are more experienced now. We should take it slow, though, just in case it’s really bad and we need to get out of there.”

Apple Bloom sighed, “All right. Ah just hope they haven’t left yet.”

Scootaloo said, “Sonic and Twilight were saying something about the hospital. That’s probably where they’re headed now.”

Sweetie Belle asked, “So are we going to do this?” Apple Bloom and Scootaloo looked at each other and then at her, smiling and nodding. The three of them then came together for their group cry:

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADER RIDE TESTERS, YAY!!!”

Meanwhile…

As she was walking through Ponyville with the others, Rarity suddenly let out a murmur as her body shook, something that caught Tails’ attention. “Why’d you shudder just now, Rarity?” he asked while looking at her.

“I don’t know,” Rarity answered slowly, the confusion evident in her voice. They looked at each other for a second longer before deciding that the white unicorn didn’t have a Pinkie Sense of her own and turning back to the road.

Soon, the group could see the fountain up ahead. As they were approaching it, Silver asked Twilight, “So you did it? You mastered the Psychic Knife?”

Twilight replied, “‘Mastered’ is kind of a strong word. But I did successfully use it… twice!”

Spike grinned, “All right! Way to go, Twilight!”

Blaze nodded, “Indeed. A successful performance says something, don’t you think?”

Twilight smiled at her; she then looked up and said, “Though I’m wondering if it’s really appropriate to call my version of it a ‘Psychic’ Knife. I know it’s your move and all, Silver, but still…”

Silver replied, “I see what you mean, what with the whole magic thing and all.” He placed a hand on his chin, “Hm, what would be a more fitting name…?”

As they passed in front of the fountain, Espio came to a stop and said, “Wait, stop.” Everyone quickly stopped walking at his words.

“What’s up, Espio?” Vector asked.

The purple chameleon replied, “I feel as though we’re not alone. Like there’s a lion or eagle somewhere nearby.”

A familiar voice spoke up, “Well, I’d say you’re half-right, ninja boy.” Espio looked up at a nearby rooftop to see a familiar griffin standing on top of it.

“Gilda!” Rainbow breathed as the griffin leapt off the roof and opened her wings to slow her descent, landing in front of the group.

Sonic spoke, “Haven’t seen you since we drove the changelings out of town. What’s up, Gilda?”

Shining Armor and Cadance exchanged uneasy looks as they heard this. “Princess Celestia mentioned that Queen Chrysalis and the changelings showed up here and tried to invade. That would make this the first time they tried to invade Ponyville. Or is it the second time…?” Shining wondered.

Gilda grunted, “Eh, not much. I was loitering around with Shadow and his team for a while, but that robot guy sure got annoying as hay with his constant ‘shoot, crush, destroy’ thing, so I didn’t stay long. I managed to find a nice cloud, so I tried to catch a quick nap. It didn’t work out, though, since those screaming fillies woke me up.”

Rarity asked, “You heard my sister and her friends screaming? Why didn’t you help them?”

Gilda shrugged, “Didn’t cross my mind, especially not after I saw that Amy girl chasing after them. Even I wouldn’t mess with her.” She glanced at Sonic, expecting him to say something, but he remained quiet.

Tails asked, “So, uh, does that mean you’re not doing anything right now, Gilda?”

The griffin looked at him and replied, “Yeah, it does. Why?”

Before Tails could ask, Rainbow said, “Forget it, Tails. I doubt she’s gonna want to come with us.”

Gilda smirked, “And you would be right, Dash. I’m not overly interested in this dimension hopping or whatever kind of adventure it is you’re having. It’s not exactly my thing.”

Tails said, “Oh…”

Suddenly, they heard a voice behind the griffin, “Gilda?” Gilda turned around and the others looked to see Team Dark coming towards them. When they were standing across from the griffin, Shadow asked, “What’s going on here?”

Gilda shrugged, “I was just following these guys. Gotta do something to pass the time, don’t I?”

Shadow didn’t shrug or nod, but his look indicated that he was okay with that explanation. He then looked at Sonic and asked, “Don’t you have something you should be doing right now, Sonic?”

The blue hedgehog replied, “Hey, we’re keeping busy, Shadow. We were just on our way to our next destination when Gilda showed up. Twilight got the fifth Element of Harmony back earlier, and Silver gave us the fifth Chaos Emerald. Don’t worry; we’re not lying down on the job.”

Shadow gave a curt nod before looking at Silver, the two hedgehogs looking ready to say something to each other before Omega droned, “I AM BORED.”

Rouge sighed, “Yes, Omega, you’ve made that very clear for a while now.” She then noticed Shining Armor and smiled, “Well, who’s this handsome hunk of stallion?”

Cadance got a slightly dangerous look in her eyes when she heard this. “Excuse me?” she asked.

Shadow looked back at Sonic and asked, “Who are they?”

Sonic pointed a thumb back at the couple as he said, “Shining Armor and Princess Cadance, AKA, Twilight’s older brother and sister-in-law.”

Cadance smirked at Rouge, “That’s right, so you just stay away from him. He’s mine.” She nuzzled Shining under his chin and he smiled at her.

Rouge simply smirked back, “Aw, that’s so cute. You should know though, princess, that when I really set my mind on something, I usually end up getting it.” Cadance responded by turning Shining’s head so that they were looking at each other. They then locked lips, sharing a kiss as the others looked away from Rouge and smiled at them.

Well, most of them smiled. Gilda stuck a claw into her beak, Rouge just rolled her eyes, and Sonic, Espio, Blaze, Shadow, and Omega simply looked on. When the kiss ended, Shining and Cadance rested against each other, looking at each other lovingly. Shadow broke the moment when he turned to face his teammates and said, “Break time’s over. Move out, Team Dark.”

Cadance looked up at that to see Rouge and Omega nod, both of them turning and starting to walk away, Shadow following behind them. After a few seconds, she saw that they really were leaving and called, “Wait, uh, Shadow!” The black hedgehog came to a stop, but he didn’t turn around, though Rouge and Omega stopped and turned to look back at him. Cadance asked, “Why don’t you and your team come with us? I’m sure it’ll be nice!”

Shadow was silent for a moment, but then he said, “No thank you. I do not believe we will enjoy each other’s company.”

Cadance protested, “Oh? But I’m sure we’ll get along well. We’ve already gotten acquainted with some of your friends.” Shadow remained quiet at that.

Shining joked, “What, are you afraid your bat friend will actually try to take me away or something? Or maybe you really like Cadance a lot?”

Shadow curtly replied, “Your wife isn’t the one I’m thinking about. You’re the one I have a problem with.”

Shining’s eyes widened a bit at that, but then they narrowed slightly as he asked, “Oh really? And why is that?”

Before Shadow could respond, Sonic zipped in front of Shining and held his hands up in front of him, saying, “Whoa, dude, just take it easy. You love your wife, you love your sister, you have your pride and all that, and that’s great. But I think you’d be better off just letting this one go.”

Shining glared down at him, “No, I don’t think so. Now stand aside.” His years of guard training taking over, he pushed past Sonic, roughly pushing him to the right near his sister, who, along with the other ponies and Spike, didn’t seem to like Shadow’s sudden attitude. Shining took several steps towards the black hedgehog before saying, “If you’re going to have a problem with me, I’d like to know what it is.”

Shadow replied, “I’ve heard a little about you. I was hoping you might have learned something from your experience, if everything I’d heard was true, but your display just now tells me you haven’t.”

Shining raised an eyebrow, “What are you talking about?”

Shadow crossed his arms and closed his eyes, “The way you looked at her, like nothing else was important… No wonder you were fooled.”

Sonic, Tails, Vector, and Espio began to look nervous as Shining angrily demanded, “And what do you know about love?! Have you ever felt it before?!” He couldn’t see Shadow’s eyes open, but he noticed subtle changes in his posture that he’d learned to pick up on in his time as guard captain. “See, you do know what it is! So how can you criticize our love when you know what it’s like to love somepony?!”

PreviousChapters Next