• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 26,431 Views, 1,103 Comments

Sonic Generations: Friendship is Timeless - GreenS21



Sonic and Tails meet the main cast of "Friendship is Magic" in this re-imagining of "Sonic Generations"!

  • ...
44
 1,103
 26,431

PreviousChapters Next
Frog Forest, Pt. I

“Ugh, I can’t believe this! Why does Rarity have to take this long just to get all pretty?! Seriously, where does she think we’re going?!” Rainbow Dash complained. It had been a short while since the fashionista in question, her younger sister, and Rouge had been restored and the group had spent almost all that time waiting for Rarity to finish with her makeover (since she had SLIGHTLY ruined her mascara and eye shadow during her drama queen moment) and rejoin them in the Boutique’s showroom.

Fluttershy spoke, “Oh, I’m sure it won’t be much longer, Rainbow Dash. I mean, Rarity doesn’t exactly know the situation, but she knows that this is really important. She just wants to make sure she looks her best, like she always does.”

They rainbow-maned pegasus sighed, “I know, Fluttershy. It’s just… We also told her that we need to get going for that same reason. You’d think that kind of urgency would be enough to convince her that this isn’t a good time to be taking her time.”

Sweetie Belle, who was passing the time by playing with Scootaloo and Cheese, looked up and said, “Yeah, that would be nice, Rainbow, but of course Rarity would never do that. We all know how important her looks are to her.”

Spike sighed to himself as he leaned back against the showroom stage, “Well, of course. Rarity isn’t just nice; she’s also beautiful. Why wouldn’t she want to look perfect? Anything less than that would be a crime for a pony as beautiful as she is…” He evidently breathed that a little louder than he meant to because, on the other side of the stage, Applejack smirked to herself as she sat with her back up against the stage. Sonic, who was lying on his side on top of the stage and resting his head on his right hand, opened his eyes and moved them in Spike’s direction, raising an eyebrow. It returned to its normal position a moment later and he smirked as well, closing his eyes again.

Twilight turned her head to look over at the two, having spent the last couple of minutes talking with Tails about where the new reading was coming from, how the radar worked, and some of the other machines the fox had worked on. She excused herself and walked over to the stage, stopping a short distance away. “Uh, Applejack, Sonic?” she asked tentatively. When Applejack pushed the brim of her hat up and Sonic cracked his eyes open, she said, “I know it’s taking Rarity a long time to get done, but try not to fall asleep, okay?”

Sonic smiled, “No worries, Twilight. We’re not having trouble staying awake or anything. It’s just that this is more interesting than standing around doing nothing.” He tilted his head towards Rainbow Dash at that, the cyan pegasus hovering over Tails’ shoulder as he looked down at his radar, her forelegs crossed as she continued to wear an impatient look on her face.

Applejack nodded, “Yup. We ain’t gonna fall asleep on ya, Sugarcube. There’s nothin’ we can do to speed things up, so we might as well keep it down. If we all start makin’ noise, that fussbucket Rarity won’t be able to concentrate, and then it’ll just take ‘er longer to get done makin’ herself pretty.”

The three of them looked over as Rouge let out a chuckle, the jewel thief currently examining some of Rarity’s masterpieces. She turned to look at them and asked, “What’s the matter, cowpony? You don’t like to make yourself look good often?”

Applejack glanced away and tilted her hat back down, saying, “Not usually, no.”

Rouge smirked to herself, “With a hat like that and hair done up that way, I suppose that’s no surprise.” She then turned back to the dress she had been looking at and returned to examining it, looking specifically at all of the gems Rarity had put on it. “My, my… What a feast for the eyes. Forget the dress; these beauties would be all I’d need,” she said, her voice as smooth as silk.

Cream, who was standing a short distance away, overheard her and spoke, “Miss Rouge, I know those jewels look really pretty, but I must ask that you leave them where they are. Miss Rarity must have worked really hard to make that dress.”

Rouge turned away from the dress and looked over at the rabbit, saying, “Oh, don’t worry about that, Creamy. I’m not going to take anything… while there are witnesses around.”

Before anything else could be said, everyone heard Rarity call, “Sorry to keep you all waiting!” They all turned to look at the stairs, hearing Rarity’s hoofsteps coming down them. “I would’ve been done sooner, but Opalescence got a little clingy with me. By the time I managed to get her off, I had just about ruined all of my hard work, so I had to start over,” the white unicorn said as she came down the stairs. She soon stepped off the bottom step and gave a regal pose, asking, “Well? How do I look?”

Sonic glanced over at Applejack with his eyes and whispered, “She doesn’t look all that different to me.” The orange earth pony gave a nearly imperceptible nod in agreement.

Twilight said, “You… you look very nice, Rarity. Er, actually, you look wonderful, like you always do.”

Spike spoke up, “Yeah! You look absolutely gorgeous, Rarity!”

Rarity smiled, “Why, thank you, Spike, Twilight. Although I must say those are both understatements. I look FABULOUS!”

Rouge spoke, “Hm… A horse is a horse, of course, of course.”

Rarity immediately glared at her, “Just what do you mean by that? And may I ask what you’re doing next to my latest masterpieces?”

Rouge replied, “Oh, nothing. They look very nice, as do you. In an equine sort of way, that is.”

Rarity immediately stomped over to her, asking, “Oh, really? And I suppose you fancy yourself an expert on such matters?”

Rouge answered, “I happen to be a jewel fancier, my little pony. Diamonds, rubies, sapphires… I love them all. They’re bright and beautiful, like me.”

Rarity held her head high as she said, “Well, I happen to enjoy fine jewelry myself. However, judging from your attitude, I’m willing to bet that you prefer to keep them to yourself. I, on the other hoof, am certainly willing to share them and any of my marvelous creations with my friends. And I believe you, while certainly being classy, are a poor judge of beauty.”

Before this could go on any longer, Sonic stood up off the stage and spoke, “Hey, time-out, ladies!” When both Rarity and Rouge looked over at him, he said, “I’m sure you two can work this out some way, but this isn’t the time, place, or way to do it. We’re in the middle of a world-threatening situation here, so can you please save the beauty pageant for later?”

Rouge replied, “Well, you did ask nicely, so I suppose I can let this go… for now.” She then glanced back at Rarity and said, “I hope you’re not just another pretty face, honey. If making dresses and being a drama queen are the only noteworthy things you can do, then you won’t last long against me.” Before Rarity could respond, Rouge turned and headed for the front door. As she passed by Sonic and Tails, she said, “See you around, Big Blue. You too, Fox Boy.”

Tails turned and asked, “Where are you going, Rouge?”

As she pushed the door open, she replied, “My wings feel a bit stiff after standing like that for so long. I’m going to go stretch them.” She then walked outside, spread her wings, and took off.

Inside the Carousel Boutique, everyone just stared at where the bat had been standing just moments ago. “Well, wallop mah withers…” Applejack muttered.

“I can’t believe it! How did she do that?!” Spike exclaimed incredulously.

Tails sighed, “That’s Rouge for you. She, uh… let’s just say she has a way with words.”

Rainbow Dash blinked, “Uh, yeah. No kidding.”

Twilight looked over at Sonic and asked, “Is she always like that?”

Sonic replied, “Not always. Still, I guess you could expect that from a government agent who is also a jewel thief. When she puts her obsession with gems aside, though, she does do her job well and can be at least somewhat trustworthy.”

Sweetie Belle looked at her sister worriedly and asked, “Sis…?”

Rarity, while glaring angrily out the door, spoke, “The nerve of that bat! So she thinks she has more talent than me, does she?! Well, I’ll show her! It is time for action, everypony! There is work to be done, so we must take care of it!” Although they were all surprised by the sudden display of command the fashionista was showing, everyone in the room quickly agreed. Rarity then seemed to come down from her ‘high’, as the aggressive look on her face faltered and she laughed nervously before saying, “What are we supposed to be doing anyway?”

Applejack sighed to herself as she stood up. After fixing her hat, she said, “C’mon, Rarity. We’ll explain it to ya on the way.” She then followed Twilight and Sonic over to the front door, where Tails and Rainbow Dash were already waiting. Everybody else hurried out after them, Rarity taking a moment to make sure the door was properly shut before catching up with the group. As they walked away, a pair of dark grayish violet eyes watched them from a nearby hiding spot, focusing for a moment on the lavender unicorn in the group. Once the group was far enough away, the owner of the eyes crept out from her hiding place and silently made her way towards the Carousel Boutique.

As they made their way towards their next destination (Tails and Twilight having determined where to go while they were waiting for Rarity, thus the fox wasn’t using his radar to guide them), Applejack and Spike, along with Rainbow and Scootaloo, explained the whole situation to Rarity, Sweetie Belle, and Fluttershy. The remaining members of the group, meanwhile, were engaged in a conversation of their own. Sonic and Tails would occasionally contribute to the explanation going on behind them, but for the most part, Applejack, Spike, Rainbow, and Scootaloo didn’t need a lot of help, so the two of them, along with Cream and Cheese, mostly focused on talking with Twilight.

“So you don’t learn about magic anymore, Miss Twilight?” Cream asked.

The lavender unicorn replied, “Oh, I still study magic, Cream. I’m just not studying all the time like I did back in Canterlot. Princess Celestia sent me here to make friends, and that’s what I did during our venture into the Everfree Forest. After we returned her sister, Princess Luna, to normal, she allowed me and Spike to stay here and continue learning about friendship.”

Sonic asked, “Yeah? How does she know you’re learning? Does she come down from Canterlot every now and then with a test or something?”

Twilight giggled and said, “No, Sonic. Whenever I learn a lesson, or one of my friends does, whether it’s through an adventure or a normal experience, Princess Celestia is notified with a friendship report.” She blushed and sheepishly added, “I used to be the only one who had to do the reports, even when it was a lesson my friends learned, but now all of my friends write when they learn since… well, I kind of got the whole town caught under a spell I couldn’t control when I thought I was going to be tardy on one of my reports.” She shook her head, “Such an unbelievable mistake; I don’t know what I was thinking.”

Sonic grinned, “Hey, better to make mistakes now while you’ve still got potential than to make them later in life when you’re starting to lose your touch and can’t really recover or learn from them, right?” Twilight laughed nervously at that, thinking about the circumstances that led up to her wanting to enchant her old Smarty Pants doll with a ‘want it, need it’ spell. Unknown even to her, an uneasy look appeared in her eyes, which Sonic and Tails both noticed, noting that her formerly steady steps seemed to falter slightly as she thought about it.

Tails, hoping nothing was wrong, asked, “So after the report is written, you send it to Princess Celestia in the mail?”

Twilight snapped back to her regular demeanor and steady stride and replied, “No, not exactly. Spike takes care of sending the lessons, and he often writes them down because his writing looks so good.”

Cream asked, “How does Mr. Spike send the letters, Miss Twilight?”

Twilight answered, “With his fire breath. While he does breathe normal fire like most other dragons, he also has magical fire that allows him to instantly send letters directly to the Princess as well as receive them.”

Tails’ eyes widened a bit at this. He asked, “Really? How does he do that? Can he only receive things from Princess Celestia or, as long as they know how to reach him, can anyone send letters to him?”

Twilight replied, “Well, I think it would be possible for him to receive things from others besides Princess Celestia, but I can’t say for sure because I haven’t done a lot of research on dragons. And even if I did have an extensive understanding of them, it would still probably be better to ask Spike about it. After all, letters have to go through him to get delivered.”

Sonic asked, “Does Princess Celestia keep all of the reports she receives?”

Twilight replied, “Yes. In fact, she sent the ones I had written back to me after Discord corrupted all of my friends.”

Tails asked, “Corrupted? What do you mean?”

Twilight explained, “He wanted to make sure we couldn’t use the Elements of Harmony on him, so he took them and hid them, telling us where they were through a riddle. I made a mistake in interpreting it and thought he had hidden them in the Canterlot Hedge Maze. They weren’t there, but he took the opportunity to make us play one of his games. He took Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy’s wings along with my horn and Rarity’s horn. He then told us to find the Elements in the maze without using magic or wings and made sure to split us up as soon as we stepped inside the maze.”

Sonic snorted, “Yeesh. What a creep.”

Twilight sighed, “I know. And while we were split up and trying to get to the center of the maze, he… I guess he used his magic to mess with my friends, turning them all gray. I always seemed to arrive too late because he would purposely drop part of the maze after he was done with them. By the time I’d figured out where the Elements really were and we got them, Rainbow Dash had already abandoned us due to her corruption and, despite my best efforts, I couldn’t take their negative attitudes anymore. I turned gray and was ready to give up on everything. And I remember Discord was enthusiastic to hear that.”

Tails gagged, “He was actually PROUD of what he did?!”

Cream said, “Discord sounds like such a mean and terrible person!” Cream gave an angry “Chao!” in agreement.

Sonic asked, “So what happened?”

Twilight said, “Well, I went back to the library to get Spike and was about ready to leave for… somewhere when Spike told me Princess Celestia had been sending him a lot of scrolls since he got back. They were all the letters I had sent up to that point, and as I went through them, I began to get my faith back as well as my color. I then used a memory spell on each of my friends to remind them what Discord made them forget, which restored their colors as well. We then used the Elements of Harmony on him and they turned him to stone, just like they did when Princess Celestia and Princess Luna used them on him.”

Tails asked, “You petrified him?”

Twilight said, “We just used the Elements on him the same way we did with Princess Luna. I’m not sure why they freed Luna while they turned him to stone, but I’m sure there was a good reason for it.”

Sonic faced forward and held a hand to his chin, saying, “Hmm…” Noticing the way Twilight was looking at him, he looked at her and said, “I know she sent them to you for whatever reason, maybe because she thought you needed help or something, but I wonder if Princess Celestia would let someone borrow those reports to look over if someone asked. I bet Blaze would be interested in reading them.”

Tails smiled, “Hey yeah, she probably would!” He looked at Twilight and asked, “We told you about her, remember? You know, the princess that tried to do everything by herself and didn’t want to make friends until she met Cream, Cheese, and the rest of us?”

Twilight smiled, “Oh yeah, I remember you telling me about her. So her name is Blaze, huh? I still would really like to meet her and get to know her.” Cream and Cheese both looked happy to hear that. Twilight then looked forward and, after a moment of thought, said, “Oh look, we’re almost to Sugarcube Corner!”

Cream asked, “Oh, already?”

Tails said, “That didn’t take long at all.”

Sonic nodded, “Yeah.” He then looked back and called, “Did you all hear that? We’re almost there!” Everyone perked up at that, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo, and Spike looking like they needed to hear something good after explaining things and probably having to deal with Rarity’s response to every little detail, and the whole group began walking faster, heading for the local bakery.

As Sugarcube Corner came into view, it didn’t take long for everybody to notice something was going on. From where they were, they could see Knuckles, the Mayor, and Gilda standing in front of the bakery. They could also tell that Gilda was arguing with Knuckles and the Mayor, the two of them standing next to each other. Intrigued, the group quickened their pace, Tails, Twilight, and Cream hoping that Knuckles wasn’t going to escalate the argument.

As they got closer, they heard Knuckles say, “I don’t care what your story is! The Mayor has made it very clear to you, several times I might add, that Ponyville is in a lockdown situation! No one’s allowed to be out on the streets unless they have a good reason, and saying that you’re bored is NOT a good reason!”

Gilda sneered, “Oh yeah? What are you going to do about it, Red? Personally walk me home? I don’t live in Ponyville!”

Knuckles growled, “Oh, you think you’re cute, don’t you?” He held up his fists, making sure Gilda could see his spiky knuckles, and asked, “How would you like to find out how it feels to be punched by one of these? I’d be happy to knock your beak off!”

Sonic and Tails quickly ran over to the three of them at that, coming to a stop next to them. “All right, Knuckles, you said your piece. Now calm down already,” Sonic said.

The three of them turned to look at the duo, Knuckles and the Mayor saying, “Sonic!”

Gilda, however, looked less than happy to see them. “Oh, it’s you two weirdoes again. Just what I wanted to see: a big party of weirdoes and ponies. The only thing we’re missing is ‘Stinky’ Pie,” she said as the rest of the group came over.

Sonic grunted, “Whatever, you turkey.”

As Spike, Cream, Cheese, and the ponies came to a stop behind Sonic and Tails, Gilda yelled, “I’m a griffin, genius, not a turkey! Geez, what is your problem?!”

Sonic replied, “Hey, you’re the one who started the name-calling game. You don’t like being called names? Then you shouldn’t have called Tails a freak.”

Gilda said, “I don’t get what you’re all upset about. He barely looked like he wanted to cry after one little remark, unlike Fluttershy back there.” Sonic and Tails looked back at that. It was clear that the yellow pegasus hadn’t forgotten her first ‘encounter’ with Gilda, as she was already looking nervous and staying near the back of the group.

Twilight decided she should try to change the subject before things got out of hand, so she turned to the Mayor and asked, “Miss Mayor, did something happen here? Did Gilda do something?”

The tan mare replied, “Well… no. But for now, due to this crisis you’re taking care of, nopony is allowed out of their houses without a good reason. I told Knuckles here about this when I met him a little while ago, and he offered to help keep an eye on everypony until it was deemed safe to go out again. So when we saw Gilda here walking around Ponyville, we caught up to her and I asked her to return to her house.”

Gilda spoke up, “And like I already said, I don’t live in Ponyville! And I’m certainly not going to sit around cooped up in some lame pony’s house, especially not when these dweebs get to go wherever they want!”

Rainbow moved in front of Gilda and said, “We get to ‘go wherever we want’, Gilda, because we’re actually working together and doing something worthwhile! I don’t know when you got back from Cloudsdale, but clearly you haven’t done anything besides get on everypony’s nerves! The only good thing you’ve done so far is find my Element necklace and you had to go and waste our time by challenging me to a race we both knew from the beginning I would win instead of just giving it to me! Is it really that surprising that you’re under the same restrictions as everypony else?”

Gilda looked ready to continue making a scene, but the Mayor turned away from her, looking at Twilight and saying, “By the way, Twilight, I’m glad to see that you’ve found Fluttershy, Rarity, and her younger sister. You and your friends seem to be doing a fine job so far with getting Ponyville back to normal. But may I ask what you’re all doing here?”

Twilight nodded, “Yes you may, Miss Mayor. According to Tails’ radar, there’s another portal here at Sugarcube Corner. We came here to find it and see where it leads.”

The Mayor replied, “Oh, of course! I should have guessed. Well, I wouldn’t want to be a burden, so I will leave you and your friends to it. I wish you the best of luck.” Twilight nodded and then the Mayor turned and walked away, heading for the town hall.

Gilda noticed her leaving and asked, “Hey, where is she going? I’m not done with her yet!”

Knuckles ignored her and looked at Sonic and asked, “Do you guys mind if I tag along? If I have to listen to this griffin any longer, I’m personally gonna send her to the Moon with my fists!”

Sonic regarded him for a moment and then said, “I don’t have a problem with that, Knuckles.” He looked around and asked, “What do you think, girls? Knuckles can come with us if he wants to, right?”

The ponies all voiced their agreement, though Rarity and Sweetie Belle understandably had to think about it for a minute. Sonic then walked up the steps and into Sugarcube Corner, Tails, Knuckles, Cream and Cheese, Spike, and everypony except Rainbow Dash following him in. Rainbow turned to Gilda and said, “Hey, as long as you’re back in town, maybe you should go see if you can find something useful to do, G’. If you somehow manage to do that, maybe you’ll have a shot at getting back on my good side!” With that, she turned and followed her friends into the bakery.

Gilda grunted, “Yeah, like the whole world revolves around Rainbow Dash’s opinion of me! I’m bailing on this scene!” She spread her wings after saying that, taking to the air and flying away from Sugarcube Corner.

A few minutes later, while still flying and thinking about what Rainbow Dash had said, Gilda’s sharp eyesight allowed her to notice something down on the ground. She came to a stop and flapped her wings to remain in place, taking a closer look. She could see Amy walking on the street below her, but what really caught her attention was who she was walking with. Looking back in the direction of Sugarcube Corner, she muttered, “But… I saw him… Didn’t he…?” Looking back down, she smirked to herself, “Looks like I found something interesting to do after all. I bet this’ll throw you for a loop, Rainbow Dash.”

PreviousChapters Next