• Published 13th Oct 2013
  • 5,684 Views, 177 Comments

The Last Crystal Unicorn - TheMyth



Rarity goes out to hunt for gems again, but finds more than what she bargained for

  • ...
8
 177
 5,684

Chapter 6

The afternoon heat, such as it was at this time of year, was hardly causing a dent in the group’s productivity when it came to nurturing their special talents. They reached the clubhouse in record time, and many retreated to their own corners to begin work on whatever project they had on their agendas, a short story for Spike, a new table for Apple Bloom, and the usual practice for Light...

Sweetie, however, guided Amethyst to an unused table. “This can be your place, at least until we can set up something better for you.”

“Thank you,” he said, sitting down. “Are there any gems here? I’d like to work without having to make everything.”

“I asked Rarity if she could let you have some. I guess she didn’t put them here.” She turned and raised her voice. “Hey, Apple Bloom?”

“What?”

“Are there any gems in your supply closet?”

“Hold on... yeah.” Confusion crept in. “How’d these get here?” Her voice got nearer as she carried the bucket of gems into the room, talking expertly around the handle in that was foals and non-unicorns learned how.

“My sister dropped them off.” She turned to Amethyst. “Do you need anything else?”

“I suppose... a chisel of some sort, and a magnifying glass for another.”

Apple Bloom had a chisel in her tool box, but it was big, not the delicate instrument he would have liked. She had no magnifying glass, but Granny Smith had one she’d sometimes use to read the paper, much to her grandchildren’s chargin, who wanted her to just admit that the papers weren’t ‘bein’ printed in new teeny letters’ and get a pair of glasses.

Amethyst set to work, making a mental note to ask Rarity to get him better tools soon. Even with the oversized chisel he soon became engrossed in his work, creating shapes from the rigid squares, rectangles, and diamonds. All had flaws, of course, Rarity wasn’t going to let him practice on perfect crystal, but soon sculptures were being made, a pony in one, a dog in another.

It was when he had begun chiseling away on his third creation, which he hoped to give to Rarity, when he was brought out of his creative fever by a peculiar sound, a dull but loud thumping sound that came from outside. It roused his friends as well, and it was Spike, whose writing desk was near a window, who looked out and saw what it was.

Spike peeked his head outside and spotted two familiar colts down at the base of the tree house, bucking it with everything they had. “Hey! What are you doing?!” Spike called out, with Light peeking his head out of the window next to Spike’s.

“We’re smashing this tree house down!” Snips shouted out as he bucked the tree with his friend Snails, both wearing grins on their faces.

“Yeah!” Snips called out as his friend finished his words, his short legs barely connecting to the tree.

Light and Spike looked to each other, shaking their heads before rolling their eyes. “Why the hay are you doing this, huh?!” Light called out to the duo, thinking that they normally wouldn’t pull something like this unless they were told to.

“Because I told them!”

The rest of the Cutie Mark Crusaders went to the balcony and looked over to see Diamond Tiara standing a few feet away from the two colts she had ordered to buck the tree down. She was wearing a smug look, snickering at her targets and she carried with her what appeared to be water balloons in a saddle bag on her. “Surprised?! You should be! This is something I had planned to do for so long now!”

“Seriously?” Apple Bloom asked her deadpanned, wondering if Diamond Tiara really had put much thought in this ‘master-plan’ of hers.

“Yeah!” Diamond Tiara replied proudly, flinging a water balloon to Apple Bloom’s face. Before the balloon hit its target, it stopped and immediately fell upon Snips and Snails below. Diamond Tiara’s jaw went agape for a moment before she was huffing and started barraging the Crusaders, but all her balloons were being diverted to the duo below.

“What the!?” Diamond was flabbergasted, until she spotted Spike’s horn being lit from the distance she was standing from. “You! You fake!”

Spike, having learned from his mother how to repel thrown objects from enemies, shrugged and chuckled as his horn returned to normal. “You’re a lousy shot, Diamond Tiara. Keep to your talent by wearing a fake crown!”

“I—it’s not a fake!” Diamond Tiara stammered, her lips quivering. She then looked to her side and elbowed Silver Spoon hard. “Well, do something!”

Silver Spoon, having remained silent during the whole exchange, was also carrying some water balloons with her. Her face, however, did not mirror that of Diamond Tiara’s. In fact, she seemed very reluctant to act, much less throw water balloons at all.

“I mean, seriously, did you put any thought into this?” Spike said. “I know you’re getting pretty desperate to get back at us now that nopony likes you, but this is just pathetic.”

“It is not!”

Silver Spoon shifted. “Come on, can’t we just go to my house and do something?” she was clearly already embarrassed enough by the whole thing.

“Shut up!” she yelled, turning back to the clubhouse. “I’ll... I’ll tell my daddy on you!”

That caused Spike to give a look that was the perfect blend of confusion and amusement. “You’re daddy? He doesn’t even like you. He’s one step away from sending you off to a military school...”

“He is not!”

“Yeah! It was gonna be a boarding school instead!” Snips said.

As Diamond Tiara glared at them, Sweetie just called down, “Thanks, Snips! You’re much smarter than you look!”

As the colt grinned, Sweetie muttered under her breath, “But you’re still dumb enough to think that was a compliment.”

“Uh, Diamond, I really, really think we should leave,” she said. “Your dad did say if you keep this up—”

“Shut up, Silver!”

“But I’m just—”

What happened next took only a split second, but it had a deep impact on a lot of things.

Diamond Tiara whirled around and, as hard as she could, struck Silver Spoon on the side of the head.

There were two reactions. Gasps from the former Cutie Mark Crusaders and laughs from Snips and Snails. But neither of the fillies involved heard them.

“I said shut up, Silver! I’m sick of you always siding with these losers! Maybe the reason you wear those stupid glasses is because you’re as big a nerd as them!”

There was silence. Tears formed in Silver’s eyes. Diamond Tiara breathed heavily.

And then an orange blur rammed Diamond in the side.

Silver Spoon gasped and saw Scootaloo standing before her, the latter’s hoof raised threateningly and shaking. “Leave her alone, you creep!” Scootaloo warned Diamond Tiara, who was busy massaging the side of her face that began to form a bruise thanks to Scootaloo’s sudden assault.

Diamond Tiara stood up, her eyes tearing slightly but her teeth were clenched as she glared at the pegasus standing before her. “Just you wait, you freak! Once I tell my daddy—”

“We’ll tell him what you were doing and what you did to Silver Spoon!” Light cut her off as he floated down and stood next to his fillyfriend. “Why don’t you get lost and get a life?” He snarked at Diamond, the latter looking behind them to her hired goons.

“Well!? What are you waiting for?!”

Snips and Snails were unsure what to do, looking to each other and shrugging before walking towards Light and Scootaloo. They came to a halt though when the other five foals from the clubhouse descended and stood before them. “Uh…”

“Why don’t ye two lads sod off?” Pip suggested, cocking his eyebrow at the two before him.

“Okay,” Snips simply said and both walked on back to Ponyville. Both were talking about how they never really liked Diamond Tiara, thinking that she couldn’t hear them.

She did though. Diamond’s irised shrank to the size of pinheads, before she started fuming. “Why, those two useless colts! Who do they think they are betraying me?! I own them! I own this whole town! I—”

“Oh shut up, Diamond Tiara!” Sweetie Belle told the fallen earth pony as she shook her head in pity. “You really need to stop acting like this, it isn’t helping you one bit.”

“What do you know, you useless broken voice?!”

Apple Bloom’s brow furrowed and she started making her way to Diamond Tiara before she stood above her and glared down upon her. “Look, yer not wanted here on Sweet Apple Acres. Til’ you grow up and think about what you done, git!” She pointed her hoof to Ponyville, being joined by her friends who also glared Diamond Tiara with distaste. The only pony remaining in the background was Amethyst, who helped up Silver Spoon.

“Are you alright?”

The filly could barely form two words. Her face was bruised on one side, and the other was covered in dirt from her fall. And both sides had tears, both from the pain of being slapped and the pain of Diamond Tiara’s words. Hiccuping, she tried to speak. No words came out, so she just nodded.

She looked at Diamond Tiara. She looked away, in fright, and perhaps revulsion.

Something came across Diamond Tiara’s face. It was an expression of realization. Not like she had when she realized her father or Miss Cheerilee had caught her in her bullying, but one that indicated she had realized that she had done something that was very much against her best interests. Regret, maybe, how much of it was directed at what she had done to Silver Spoon and how much of it she had done to herself, nopony could tell. They weren’t willing to find out.

“Well?” Apple Bloom yelled. “Git!”

Diamond Tiara looked on a moment longer. Then, she turned, moving like her hooves were outfitted with the heaviest horseshoes in Equestria. She trotted in a daze, not running, not even acknowledging she was leaving any place or that there was anyplace to go to.

The group watched her leave for a minute, making sure she would. Only Silver Spoon’s sobbing added noise, and most were too intent on seeing Diamond Tiara gone to mind it just yet. Once she was on the horizon, Apple Bloom spoke.

“Let’s get her inside.”

Silver was brought in. She might not have even realized it until Amethyst set her on a bean bag chair. Levitating a cloth hoofkerchief up, he gently wiped the tears and dirt off her face. The filly blushed, but did not fight the soothing action.

Spike silently thanked his mother’s instinctive protectiveness, because it meant there was a first aid kit in the clubhouse at her insistence. Spike took an ice pack carrier from the box and ran to the farmhouse. Two minutes later he was back with ice, which he placed on her bruise. She muttered a small “Thank you” as she pressed it against her cheek.

“Forgive me, but... may I ask, why do you share allegiance with that cur?” Amethyst asked Silver Spoon as he removed the hoofkerchief from her eyes.

Silver Spoon looked at him with some confusion, trying to decipher his odd speech. She looked away to the ground, shuffling her hooves to try and find the best answer. “W—we’ve been friends since we were foals, our daddies are good friends and business partners,” she told Amethyst who only nodded as she spoke, digesting all the words she was speaking.

“Kinda like ma sis and Rarity?” Apple Bloom asked Silver Spoon, listening intently to Silver Spoon’s words.

“Yes…” Silver nodded, still looking down on the ground. “We’ve basically did everything together. We ate together, laughed together, shared our dreams... but…”

“Miss?”

Silver Spoon looked up and weakly smiled at Amethyst. “Please, just Silver or Silver Spoon, please,” she told him before blowing her nose on the hoofkerchief. “But Diamond Tiara changed when she got her cutie mark…”

“Huh?” Light cocked his brow, looking to Scootaloo and Spike who were standing next to him on each side. “So Diamond Tiara wasn’t always this… mean?”

“No.” Silver replied, blowing her nose again. “She always dreamed about getting her cutie mark, but when she finally got it, she just stopped caring about other ponies like they didn’t have their own feelings at all.”

Spike’s jaw went agape, blinking before closing his mouth. “Why did you follow her, though? If you knew it was wrong bullying others, why did do as she did?”

“I—I just thought, maybe I could help bring back the old friend I grew up with… but instead of changing her back, I became what I had hoped not to become.”

“What made you stand up to her now, though?” Spike asked her softly, albeit a little suspiciously when he considered the history of the filly before her.

Silver sighed, lowering her head in shame. “I—I guess I had enough. I just wanted to make some friends too, other than Diamond Tiara. But every time I tried, she’d always tell me that we didn’t need friends who brought us down. I believed her for a while until, until…”

“Silver?”

“Until I saw how happy all of you were,” Silver looked up at each of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, smiling with quivering lips as her eyes were moist. “All of you come from different backgrounds, but you still became good friends.”

There was another silence, until Sweetie Belle spoke. “How did Diamond Tiara get her cutie mark?”

By now, Silver Spoon had composed herself, and was speaking calmer and clearer. “You remember how she got her cutie mark at the beginning of the school year? She earned it at a fancy summer camp our parents sent us too. We were split up in teams and told to elect a leader. We picked Diamond Tiara. She kept on telling us to do things. We won every challenge. Then it just appeared on her flank.”

“Leadership,” Amethyst said in a musing tone. “A shame. If she were a leader now, she might not be much better than Sombra.”

“What about you?” Spike asked. “Where’d you get your cutie mark?”

“I... I don’t know.” They all looked at her like she had just declared her undying love for a timberwolf. “Well, I don’t!” she said, suddenly defensive.

“Easy,” Apple Bloom said. “We’re just... surprised is all.”

“My parents went out of town one day, so when I got home I was alone. When they woke me up, it was there. I must have got it the day before.”

“What’d you do that day?” Sweetie asked.

Silver just shrugged. “Diamond Tiara was busy, so I just kind of wandered around. I helped some old pony carry something he was having trouble with, I did a few chores for the Cakes... I don’t remember anything that would get me a spoon cutie mark.”

“That’s weird,” Spike said, then winced when he realized the bluntness of it. Silver seemed to share his sentiments, though, so he went on. “I wonder if my mom ever heard of anything like this?”

Suddenly, Apple Bloom perked up. “Then we still have work to do.”

The all looked at her. “What?” Scootaloo asked the question of everypony’s lips.

“The Cutie Mark Crusaders help ponies get their cutie marks. Silver Spoon might have hers, but she doesn’t have a special talent to go with it.”

“I guess that’s true.” Spike replied to Apple Bloom’s words.

Silver Spoon could only stare at Apple Bloom like she had delivered her a gift she had always wanted for her birthday. “B—but I’m just a bully and—”

“None of that now ya hear?!” Apple Bloom cut her off as she waved her hooves. “Just like ma sis’ told me, let bygones be bygones.”

“I—”

“What she’s trying to say Silver, is that we want to be friends with you,” Sweetie Belle said, beaming down on Silver’s face that was displaying confusion.

Silver Spoon looked to each of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, seeing only welcoming smiles on each of them. She thought this was too good to be true, since she was so cruel to them in the past. Yet now, here they were, offering her a friendship she thought she didn’t deserve. Silver’s lips started to quiver again, sniffing as she suppressed a downpour of tears from her eyes. She had finally found the right words to say to the others, after withholding her tears.

“T—thank you…”


The rest of the day was passed by with a new sense of jubilation for Silver Spoon. When she no longer needed the benefits of the first aid kit, she was properly inducted as a full time member of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, though hearing from Sweetie Belle she did see Spike wearing his crystal armour he received from his uncle.

When that was over with, Silver went on to watch Amethyst work on his gem sculptings. She was amazed by how he was able to create such beautiful fine pieces of crystal art. She looked back to her cutie mark, frowning a little because she didn’t know what her talent was.

Scootaloo leaned to Light’s ear as she watched Silver Spoon observing Amethyst at work. “She seems a little happier.”

“If only a little,” Light agreed as he watched Silver from the background. “Wonder what her parents are going to say about her bruises.”

Spike, overhearing their conversation, joined in as he whispered, “I think that would be the final nail for Diamond Tiara right there.”

Scootaloo tilted her head blinking. “Final nail?”

“You know, final nail in the coffin,” Spike explained, but was met with a blank stare from Scootaloo. Spike groaned and planted his hoof in his face. “Final mistake, or in her case misdeed.”

“Oh…”

“Silver won’t even hang out with her anymore, and I doubt Snips and Snails are going to try anything after that.”

“You think? Those two don’t seem very sorry.”

“Maybe not, but with nopony else backing Diamond Tiara, they might decide working for her is more trouble than it’s worth.” Spike said as he watched Amethyst and Silver Spoon in the distance.

“But what about Diamond?” Light asked curiously.

“She’s not as brave without somepony to back her up. Maybe she’ll give it up.”

There was silence for a minute. They watched as Amethyst showed Silver his newest creation, a piece of crystal in the shape of a spoon. He gave it to her, promising to give it a few touch-ups as soon as he got some more delicate tools.

“You think we can find out what Silver’s cutie mark is before Amethyst has to go?” Light asked. “I mean, if he ever does go at all.”

Spike and Scootaloo actually jumped a bit at that. They had forgotten, far too easily, it seemed, that the crystal unicorn was not a permanent member of their group, not yet.

“How hard can it be?” Spike asked. “We just have to retrace Silver Spoon’s steps and see what she did that day.”

“You think that’ll work? It sounds like she tried it already,” Scootaloo pointed out.

“Maybe not, but we have to start somewhere. Trust me, I think she’s going to be fine.”


Applejack was never really one for spa days, but a back massage was worth putting up with a hot tub soak and a hooficure, so she didn’t complain when Rarity and Fluttershy dragged her from the farm to get pampered.

“I’m tellin’ ya, it’s a waste o’ time,” she said with the usual muttering. “Gettin’ my hooves all neat and even is gunna just mean they get messed up again when I’m back to applebuckin’.”

“Maybe, but at least they’ll look nice for awhile,” Rarity said, though it was only a half-hearted response. As she leaned back in the tub, looking at her own hooficure, she was lost in thought.

Fluttershy sighed in relief as she layed in the tub with her friends. “It is a nice treat once in a while to relax like this.”

“Mm-hmm…” Rarity replied dismissively, as she stared off into space as her mind was on other things.

“Rarity?” Applejack called out to her, waving her hoof in front of her eyes. She was brought back to reality, blinking and shaking her head slightly.

“Yes, Applejack?”

The farm pony cocked her brow as she looked onto her friend. “What’s got yer mind in a bundle?”

“Oh…” Rarity trailed off as she looked down to the water of the tub, her brow furrowing a little. “Just some things, nothing really important. Really,” she tried to assure her friend, but it did not work.

“About Amethyst?” Applejack asked Rarity, receiving a nod. “How is he doing? He seems to be gettin’ along fine with Apple Bloom and the others.”

“Oh yes, he is such a dear,” Rarity concurred, smiling a little as she thought back to the crystal unicorn. “Just hope in the future he will be alright.”

“We all do, Rarity,” Fluttershy agreed with her friend, smiling softly. “We must just believe in him and his future.”

“Yes…”

Applejack scrunched her lips a little before leaning in to look Rarity in the eye. “But there’s something else, isn’t there?”

Rarity nodded and sighed, before turning her head to Applejack. “Maybe you can help me, Applejack…”

“Shoot, sugarcube, yer my friend. ‘Course Ah’ll help you. What’s wrong?”

“Well, you see…” Rarity trailed off again, looking up to the sky before her gaze landed on Applejack. “Is your brother sick by any chance?”

Applejack blinked with her jaw agaped, cocking her eyebrow before shaking her head to answer. “Eenope, Big Mac is as healthy as ‘n ox. Why ya ask?”

“Well, it’s just... he seems a bit flustered when I talk to him. He starts sweating. I do hope the poor dear is feeling alright.”

A snicker escaped Applejack lips, but she managed to swallow the rest. Poor Big Mac. He was stoic in the worst of times, but he couldn’t talk to a mare. What a shame.

“Ah think you were just lookin’ too close,” she said, a smile creeping on her face. “Maybe mah brother is just so handsome that ya can’t take yer eyes off of him.”

“A—Applejack!” Rarity blushed. “I... I...”

Applejack laughed. “An now yer as red as he is! Yer so easy.”

Rarity cleared her throat, trying to regain her composure. She failed. “Yes, well... perhaps he is handsome, but... I’ve never truly thought about him that way. Besides, I simply cannot ask him to leave the farm for me. You know I won’t be giving up my dreams for any stallion.”

Applejack waved her hoof. “Aw, you two can work somethin’ out.”

“Yes, well... why all the fascination?”

“Oh, nothing,” Applejack said. “How ‘bout you, Shy? Any stallions on your brain?”

Fluttershy blushed. “Um... no. I have Pip already... I’m too busy for a stallion...”

“Alright,” Lotus said, coming in. “Your time in the tub is over. Since Rarity is such a big customer, we’ll be offering you our new service. We want to try acupuncture.”

Applejack jumped. “Uh-uh. No way. No pony’s sticking needles in me!”

“Oh, don’t worry, we won’t be doing that... We simply use one big one.”

As the other spa twin pulled in a three-meter long needle, Applejack ran and didn’t look back.