• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 3,372 Views, 152 Comments

Sins of the Ancients - Tundara



Adventure with Twilight finding her way home from another world.

  • ...
11
 152
 3,372

Chapter Nineteen: The Long Roll of Years

Sins of the Ancients

Chapter Nineteen: The Long Roll of Years

"Long will be the time she walks beside the Moon among Man,
And many will be the changes wrought in their wake."
-From the Prophecy of the Purple Wizard

"Master? Master! You're going to be late at this rate," snapped a voice cold as ice, and just as effective at banishing the last tendrils of sleep that clung about Twilight's dream-hazed thoughts.

It had been a really good dream too.

She had been back in Ponyville with her old friends. Rarity had just come over for some tea, and then the two of them had gone flying on large majestic wings. Spike had been there as well, only the little drake wasn't so little, but rather a massive towering elder dragon, his features weathered with age and wisdom. Side by side, the three had flown to Sweet Apple Acres where they had pie and helped Applejack with a horde of tap-dancing rabbits that had put on a stage show in the carrot patch.

Twilight had been drawn away from show by the ringing of the bells of the Cathedral of the Moon. Crossing the stream that separated Sweet Apple Acres from Ponyville she had seen the cathedral sitting where her library had been. Stepping inside she'd been greeted by thousands of ponies sitting in the pews, all staring forward to where a human bride and groom stood.

The groom had been a giant, one of the nortmun, wearing a suit of crimson with the gold lace of nobility and the triple cords of a land owner stood across from a small timid woman in a flowing white dress that shone like a halo of light highlighting her flowing pink hair and butter coloured wings. As the bells reached a crescendo, Luna descended from the rafters on a beam of moonlight. Heavy plate armour clanking and a sword of silvery light strapped across her back, the Goddess of the Moon began to read out the couples vows.

It had been at this point that Twilight was dragged from the pleasant warmth of the dream.

The dream began to fade from memory as Twilight lifted her face from her writing desk, a piece of ink stained parchment sticking to her face.

Through the curtains of her tower's window thrust a golden beam of spring sunlight that managed to strike her straight in the eyes. Grumbling to herself, Twilight yanked the ruined parchment from her forehead, and clicking her tongue noticed the translations she'd been working on the previous night had all been ruined.

"What time is it, April?" Twilight finally asked, scrunching up the parchment before stretching and yawning.

"It is two bells after sunrise, master! You're going to be late for the Naming."

Rolling her eyes at the frantic tone in her apprentice's voice, Twilight got up and made her way to a wash basin. She was greeted by a face with large dark maroon bags under its eyes, the whites a dangerous shade of red from lack of sleep, and a black splotch on lavender fur. Narrowing her aching eyes at the terrible image she presented, Twilight channeled magic into the ring around her horn and banished the transmutation effect she now spent almost all her time under.

It had been a week since she'd last reverted to her human form, and the change was accompanied by a number of aches in places that had become unfamiliar. Splashing some water onto her face, Twilight waved for April to bring her robes.

"A wizard is never late, April. A wizard arrives precisely when he or she means to."

Managing to hold back a derisive snort, April couldn't hold back her tongue.

"Master, you know that only works on the common folk."

Twilight just shrugged in response.

Wobbling a bit as she readjusted to the shift in her balance, Twilight remained quiet as she donned her soft silvery grey robes. Double checking her mental checklist, Twilight patted down her robes, slipped on her ring, and lifted the polished staff, its length a glossy black dark as moonless midnight, from its stand.

April stood still waiting in a corner her gaze fixed out the window. Twilight could see the young woman was anxious for her master to be finished and on her way. There was probably a certain young enchanter that April believed Twilight had not yet uncovered.

Twilight, of course, had discovered the budding relationship the previous fall, and was content to let her apprentice think she was pulling one over her master's eyes.

Ah, to be young and in love.

"Okay, I'm ready," Twilight finally declared and strode towards the window.

"Master, aren't you forgetting something?"

"What? I have my robes on, and my ring and staff. My belts are done up in the traditional double knots. I have the proper shoulder cords for a change. What else could I possibly need?"

"Owlowiscious?"

"Oh, of course," Twilight groaned, lightly slapping the side of her head. Whistling, Twilight heard the papers mounded beside her desk rustle and a moment later a glowing owl of purple crystal made his way out of the pile. With a tinkling sound like chimes, the magically constructed owl ruffled its feathers before fluttering up to Twilight's shoulder. "Better?"

"Perfect," April said, then began pushing Twilight towards the door.

At a foot taller than Twilight after her most recent growth spurt, April had little trouble corralling her master out into the landing used by the seventh tier wizards. The walls around the landing continually shifted and altered, different doors appearing and a wizard striding, or in a few cases like Twilight's, were pushed by impatient apprentices, before sliding away to be replaced by a different door.

"While I am at the Naming I want you to study the proper applications and methods for fusing Fire with a ward!' Twilight called over her shoulder as the small purple painted door that lead to her room closed and then slide up the wall where it disappeared to wait in the rafters along with all the other unneeded doors. As she turned to join the line of wizards treading their way down the stairs in the center of the landing, Twilight muttered to herself. "Though I know you'll be sneaking out with apprentice Samuels."

Twilight had just placed a foot on the stairs when a large hand clapped down on her shoulder, a boisterous laugh following quickly after.

"Master Sparkle, it's been too long since I've last seen you," chuckled the voice connected to the laugh and hand. "You've been cooped up in your tower for, what, a month? I don't think I even saw you during the trials."

Looking over her shoulder Twilight saw A wide grinning face, one with twinkling brown eyes and a nose so long it had been suggested it could be used to poke people's eyes out, if not for the fact the nose was bent at an odd angle. The angle and direction always seemed to change, but that was actually normal and Twilight would have been more surprised if it hadn't ever spontaneously changed mid-conversation. Tall pointed hat flopping down around his ears, the other master wizard took a little half-skip to walk side-by-side with Twilight down the stairs.

"Master Laughingcart, how goes your efforts to make humming birds invisible?"

"Terrible, awful, oh most wretched. That is to say; better than I expected or dared hope. The trick is getting their feather's to shimmer just so. Then the light bends around them and bibbity, there you go, invisible humming birds! The problem is catching them afterwards."

Nodding soberly as they passed the landing for the sixth tier wizards, Twilight could imagine how that would make things difficult.

"I mean, have you ever tried to catch a dozen invisible humming birds? It is only lucky I returned to the Arcanum. I should have looked quite the mad fool running around Tinsedale in nothing but my bathrobe and slippers swinging that big net about!"

A smile slipped onto the corner of Twilight's mouth at the mental image of the tall and plump Laughingcart running through a field in nothing but his burgundy bathrobe and slippers, a giant butterfly net in hand.

"Here that's a Tuesday," Twilight tried to say and maintain her air of solemnity, but a giggle escaped followed by, "Oh, bother."

"Hmmm, indeed," agreed Laughingcart, and then changing subjects like a boat tacking he asked, "So, you think you'll be Named?"

With a little shrug, Twilight said, "I'm not sure, to be honest. I feel I did well in the theoretical exams, and I know I did good on the practical applications of wards, not to mention using the blink spell. I didn't do so well with summoning walls, however."

"If it makes you feel any better, me and the other Illusionists are laying our gold on you getting named. So are the Transmuters."

"What about the Evokers and Enchanters?"

"The Evokers favour Pill Bullman, I believe, while the Enchanters have lain their money on that feisty upstart from the east. What's her name again?"

"Angelica Opalstring," Twilight supplied.

"Yes, yes, her, quite so."

"What about the you-know-whom?"

"I don't sit with that lot." Laughingcart shivered as they passed the landing for the fifth tier wizards.

The Journeymen wizards flooded the stairwell in a sea of hats, squawking birds, and jangling bells. Pressed between Laughingstock and the railing, Twilight felt her progress slow to a crawl. A few of the sixth and seventh tier wizards became birds or other small fast moving animals, and in a shower of feathers and scampering paws slipped through the crowd.

Speaking over the noise, Laughingcart continued, "But if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they are with you as well. You know, that whole destiny thing you have going."

Cheeks burning, Twilight wanted to correct Laughingcart. There was nothing in the Prophecy of the Purple Wizard that stated she would be Named, just that she was one of the most powerful wizard to walk the face of Sumanthor. It was a minor technicality and Twilight didn't want to jinx her chances of being Named by mentioning it. Wizards' Rule number 33: Don't speak of the negative, lest you give the Dead Gods ideas.

Conversation soon turned to how their apprentices were progressing. Laughingcart spent most of the time detailing how his apprentice was leaning towards joining the Evokers. A lot of the apprentices had started to take an interest in the school, especially after the spectacular display Luna had given two years previously when a goblin horde had swept out from beneath the south mountains and tried to lay siege to the city.

The number of wizards filling the stairwell only continued to grow, just as the number of wizards living in the Arcanum had grown exponentially since Twilight, and more importantly, Luna had taken residence in the city.

Many of the wizards who, like Jacob Conrad, had left the Arcanum to forge homes or lives in the many towns or villages that dotted the land had returned as word of Roxholm upon Tyme being the home of a living goddess spread. Walk-Abouts abruptly ended, homes were sold or left empty, towers shrunk down and placed into pockets, and in general a great migration of the magical community ensued.

Several times over the years, the Arcanum had to be expanded as the flood of wizards arrived. While the several story tower looked no different on the outside to the commoner living in the city, on the inside it had grown almost five fold. Luna, who alone in all the city could see the Arcanum's true form, described the tower as a spiraling spear of glass, steel, stone, marble, and brick that rose up almost eighty stories high. Privately Twilight felt the number to be accurate given how many times the lower levels had to be expanded to fit the lower tiered wizards. Her own window was absurdly high above the city, more so than would be possible looking at the tower from the outside.

It wasn't even just wizards that called the Arcanum home either. Two families of witches, several nortmun shamans, bards, skalds, and priests had all come to live among the often eccentric, and sometimes downright crazy, wizards. Even a small number of warlocks had tried to gain admission to the tower, but had been immediately chased out of the city. It had been the talk for weeks, seeing several men and women being chased through the streets by a surging horde of wizards. Roxholm upon Tyme had been filled with the jangle of bells and the heavy patter of pointy shoes that day as roving bands of wizards poked their heads into every barrel, window, chimney, or skirt that could have been conceivably used as a hiding spot.

Wizards, Twilight had discovered, really hated Warlocks.

The day of the Great Warlock Hunt it was now called within the Arcanum.

Beyond just the types of spellcasters calling the Arcanum home were the different races. When she had arrived the Arcanum had been almost exclusively soutmun, with just a couple nortmun wizards. Now Twilight could spot the long ears of elves from the great forests across the eastern mountains, the longer noses of the few remaining goblins (there had been more before the failed siege), the towering masses of green skin and black hair that belonged to the orcs, and the streams of curse words assaulting her ears indicated at least two of the dwarves were nearby. It all meshed together into a dizzying sea of insanity, conflicting cultures, arguments, and somehow in spite of it all, there was a certain air of camaraderie and fun.

Then there were the laboratories, class rooms, store rooms, and buildings for the servants and golems (both Ancient and Magical), the endless libraries that stretched like dusty mazes, and the halls that linked them all together. Without using the magical mirrors that stood throughout the Arcanum that allowed instant travel between their partners it could take hours to cross the entire structure.

The Arcanum was a city within a city.

"We'll never reach the Hall of Nom at this rate," Twilight shouted to Laughingcart, who nodded in return.

"Birds or mice?" was all he asked in reply.

"Uh, I was just going to teleport."

"INSIDE the Arcanum, are you nuts!?" Laughingcart shouted, his eyes going wide and his nose snapping across to the other side of his face. "No, don't answer that."

Taking his arm in her own, Twilight laughed.

"Come on, we'll be fine. I am the most accurate at teleportation. I just don't have Bullman's range."

"I thought you were faster and- whoa!"

Laughingcart's voice stretched and compressed, going from a deep rumble to a high pitched squeal as Twilight waved her hand. There was a moment where they were nowhere, and then, with a small pop, they appeared in a corridor leading to the Hall of Nom, or as it was more commonly known as, the food court. They were beside the servants door and through it had an excellent view of the massive room beyond.

In the center sat a series of tables like a giant wheel divided into six parts. Around the tables the hundreds of wizards (and other spellcasters) were taking seats. The wizards stuck to their own colleges as a rule so that one table was filled with the chorus of a thousand small bells, while the next had a swarm of birds and feathers fluttering about it, and so on. Interspersed fairly evenly among the wizards were the other non-wizards. The witches preferred to eat with the illusionists, owing to their own black pointed hats being lost easily among the illusionists hats. Beyond the great tables was a single shorter table with seven places set. This table was reserved for the Arch-Mages and Luna, when she dined at the Arcanum.

Luna and the arch-mages were nowhere to be seen, which settled some of Twilight's budding anxiety. She wasn't late, just as she predicted.

"Yes, you are going to be Named," Laughingcart chuckled after he had checked to make sure all his parts were where they should be.

Twilight just blushed again at the praise.

Sneaking into the hall Twilight and Laughingcart waved goodbye as they made their way towards their tables; Twilight the birds of Abjurers and Laughingcart the hats of illusionists. As she approached the table of abjurers Twilight spotted a pointed hat sticking out like an island among the sea of feathers. A sly smile on her face, Twilight slipped into an empty seat beside the be-hatted wizard, wrapping her arm around the wizard in a loose hug.

"Tracey! You made it back," Twilight said happily.

Turning away from the nortmun shaman she'd been sharing a conversation with, the illusionist carried a smile as wide as Pinkie Pie and grabbed Twilight in a tight hug of her own.

"You think I'd miss a Naming? And one where you are a candidate? Ha, wild orcs would have to hack off my feet, and even then I'd crawl back here. No offense Burk."

Across the table an orc witch-doctor shrugged mid-bite of a shank of lambs leg.

"None taken. Human feet make a nice stew," the orc said with a wink.

"I also wanted to get this to you as soon as I could," Tracey added in a quieter voice as she pulled out an odd shiny blue object made from an equally odd material.

"You found it!" Twilight squealed in joy. "I didn't think you'd actually be able to find a way into Cheyenne Mountain. It was hit really hard by the Gorgons during the fall of the Ancients."

"It's Sun you should thank. She's the one who found the way past all the traps and collapsed tunnels."

Twilight nodded, turning the smooth 'book' over in her hands. Calling it a book was perhaps a bit of a stretch as it didn't open, or have pages, like a proper book and was instead just a rectangular device. Her fingers itched to find the little switch that would turn the book on and allow her to access it's secrets. The Ancients sure loved their odd devices, but Twilight couldn't argue with the results. Even after thousands of years buried in a bunker beneath a mountain the devices would work just fine. Someday Twilight hoped to figure out what they used as a power source that it could last so long.

"How are the others?" Twilight asked as she shoved the book into a pocket. "I've not seen any of them in a couple years now."

"Sun is doing fine. She has a child on the way, so she's actually talking about retiring from adventuring and settling down in the Protectorate of the Forest. Kodiak managed to add a few new scars and Vernon is Vernon. Eric's still at that monastery in the mountains that sprung up in Golem's Watch."

Nodding happily with the information, it was the first bit of news that really made Twilight beam. Twilight was still more than a little afraid of Kodiak. Eric had left the group shortly after Twilight to take up the position of Abbot at the budding monastery of the Moon. Vernon had returned to his position in the King's Guard for a short while before leaving to join up with Sun, Kodiak, and Tracey when Twilight would send them out looking for clues or artefacts that would help her control the Prometheus Dynamo.

Typically it was only Tracey that Twilight spoke to when the group was in the city, but Sun had managed on a few occasions to somehow sneak into the Arcanum. How the small woman made it past the magical wards that criss-crossed the tower and surrounding buildings stumped Twilight.

The first time Sunalinda had broken into the Arcanum it had been for Twilight's twenty-first birthday. Twilight had awoken to April dropping a tray of tea and buttered toast, the young woman startled to see Sun sitting on the foot of Twilight's rarely used bed, a book in one hand and an apple in the other.

Over the years Twilight and April had gotten used to Sun being able to appear as if by magic, though both knew for a fact that Sun's methods were more mundane. To hear that the rogue was with child and thinking of settling down made Twilight's heart glow.

It took another half hour for all the many journeyman or higher tiered wizards (and guests) to filter into the Hall of Nom and find a seat. The apprentices all had the morning to themselves, and no doubt more than a few would find mischief in the greater city. Across the Hall of Nom conversation flowed freely until a side door used by the arch-mages swung open and six people entered the room.

At the head of the group, Luna gave the gathered magicians and spell casters a polite smile. She, like Twilight, maintained a more human form when not in her private chambers. Ruffling her glossy wings a little as she took her seat at the center of the table, the arch-mages sitting on either side of the goddess.

After several moments Abtuan stood again, the Arch-Mage of the Unseen Eye wearing a somber grin. Raising his hands, he indicated the need for quiet from the assembled magic users.

Few conversations ended.

Rolling his eyes, Abtuan snapped his fingers and tapped his staff to the stonework and a wave of forced silence rippled across the room.

"Much better," he said, his voice like the rumble of drums in the sudden quiet and a second snap of his fingers ending the enchantment.

"Friends, colleagues, and guests from near and far, we have gathered this day to perform the ancient rite of a Naming. It has been some time since the last new Arch-Mage was Named, as you're all aware, and I had quite the long stirring speech prepared. Would have been rather grand, if I say so myself, but, alas, our distinguished," Abtuan nodded to Luna, "asked I cut it a bit shorter."

And audible sigh of relief swept through the Hall of Nom.

Twilight had read that when Vespa had been Named the speech given by Abtuan had lasted for seven hours.

"So, I shall not name and tell you the accomplishments of every previous Arch-Mage of the Unbreakable Wall, all fifty-three of them. Nor will I list all the accomplishments of the listed successors. By now, I believe we know them all.

Instead, I will say this. It is a remarkable age that we have come to live in. I myself would have laughed, politely mind you, in your face had you suggested the Arcanum would house not just wizards, but practitioners of every magical tradition, and with members of all of the six races of Mankind."

Abtuan paused for a moment as a wave of thunderous clapping filled the hall.

"None of this would have been possible without the guidance of our most distinguished guest, the fair Princess Luna of Equestria, Goddess of the Moon and Guardian of the Night."

Twilight and two thousand other magicians leapt to their feet, the hall filling with hoots, whistles and roars. From their table the transmuters danced and spun, letting the bells sewn into their robes sing. Boots stamped and birds trilled adding to the crescendo of noise. Blushing, Luna smiled and waved after a minute for the gathered magicians to sit.

"So, it is without further ado that I Name the next Arch-Mage of the Unbreakable Wall. This wizard has shown us the best that resides within all of us. Since joining the Arcanum they have been a voice of reason, usually. I think we all recall the incident with the dolls and brooms."

A light scattered chuckle among some of the original members of the Arcanum echoed through the hall. Twilight felt her cheeks begin to burn and her pulse quicken.

She was almost certain now that she was going to be Named, but the fringes of doubt kept her firmly clamped to the edge of her seat.

"This wizard I have had the distinct pleasure to get to know and call a good friend," Abtuan continued with barely a pause. "Also, how many of us can claim to have been literally raised and trained by an actual Goddess."

Twilight wanted to leap out of her chair and start dancing. She was going to be Named! Mastering all the patience she could muster Twilight rocked back and forth in her seat a thin stream of giggles escaping her beaming smile. She felt Tracey wrap an arm around her in a hug and whisper congratulations.

"Twilight Sparkle, apprentice of Princess Celestia, Goddess of the Sun and Protector of the Day, and apprentice of Ogopologos, the Lady in the Lake, I, Abtuan Diridma, Arch-Mage of the Unseen Eye, name you the Arch-Mage of the Unbreakable Wall."

Every fiber of Twilight's being was screaming at her to leap to her feet and shout in victory, but the ceremony wasn't quite over yet. So she remained sitting as she continued to bounce like she was Pinkie Pie and had been told she had a party to plan for a hundred new friends.

In turn each of the other arch-mages stood and repeated the naming. As Locke gave the final confirmation the Hall exploding in a thunder of applause. Almost in a daze Twilight stood and made her way towards the high table of the arch-mages. She caught the other contenders for the position smiling and clapping, though Angelica looked a little sour.

Nothing could ruin the moment for Twilight however as she reached the high table and received hand-shakes and kind words from the other arch-mages as a peer for the first time. Vespa's beard tickled Twilight's face when the smaller arch-mage jumped up and wrapped Twilight in a bear-hug. Locke's shake was tight and grim, befitting the most powerful necromancer. Abtuan whispered words of encouragement, while Mattemeus kissed both of Twilight's cheeks to hoots from the other transmuters. Tom Jaguarson clapped Twilight on the back before Luna approached.

Embracing Twilight in a gentle hug, a sign of affection Luna never showed in public, the princess said, "My sister will be so very proud of you."

Twilight's smile couldn't get any wider as the words sunk in and she took her place as the arch-mage of Abjuration, the Unbreakable Wall.

* * *

"Of all the stupid, arrogant, loathsome things!" Luna raged, using her magic to crush a five hundred year old gold vase.

The vase, like some many things in Twilight's room, had been found while searching ancient tombs or dungeons, or gifts from her 'father'. In the case of the vase it was the later. Giving the visibly seething princess a deadpan glare, Twilight picked up the now hunk of gold with a sigh.

"I take it you heard the news, then," Twilight muttered, placing the remains of the vase on her desk to be restored later.

Spread across her desk were maps with various routes plotted as well as her journals. Twilight gave her work one last wistful look before turning her full attention towards Luna.

"In our name, that is what is the worst, Twilight Sparkle. They march in OUR name, as if this pleases us! Thirty thousand men under banners depicting our mark. We just..." Luna voice trailed off in another snarl as she reached for another vase.

With a snap of her wrist Twilight tugged the item, this time a truly ancient painting of a smiling woman found in one of the Ancient's shelters, from Luna's grasp before it could be destroyed.

"Princess," Twilight snapped, her voice containing the barest edge of disapproval, "I would ask that you refrain from destroying any more of my collection. Please? I know that this entire situation is just sickening. I felt like crying and marching to the palace to yell at the king. But it won't do any good."

"I- I apologise. It's just, to declare a war and in my name! It's preposterous!" Luna's nostrils flared as she went back to pacing around Twilight's chambers.

Twilight noted, with a sense of minor relief, that Luna had stopped using the royal 'we' to refer to herself. The princess, at least, was starting to calm down.

Twice April had stuck her head into the room, and promptly turned around at the sight of the enraged goddess. Sighing, Twilight resigned herself to the fact that she would be getting no work done until she'd either settled Luna or somehow dealt with the cause of her anger. Since Twilight didn't think she'd be able to stop the Kingdoms of Tyme and Avend from senseless brutality, she opted to try to calm her old friend.

"We've both known for a long time something like this would happen." Twilight snapped her fingers to get April's attention when the young transmuter next stuck her head through the door, pointing meaningfully towards the tea pot.

"Yes, I read their history, and long and bloody as it was it still seemed so distant and unreal. They are as bad as griffons for their constant fighting," Luna grumbled as she sat down next to Twilight. "And all I need do is look to the east and see the civil war that has raged these past two centuries for evidence, yet, it never really sunk in. Is that strange?"

"Strange? No, I think it is very pony of you. We want to see the best in other races, and it has been so long since war came to our borders."

"Not so long for I. It's been barely a decade from my perspective since I rebelled against my sister, and yet... and yet..."

"You've been protected and shielded, Luna, both by Celestia and now by the Lunar Paladins. They try to keep you safe, especially your Paladins. And you should take pride in that not a single Knight of the Golden Chalice or Knight of the Moon Ascendant has joined the King's armies."

Twilight tried to give Luna her most re-assuring smile. Moving to pour the tea herself as she saw it coming to a boil, she silently thanked April. The young women responded with a quick smile of her own before retreating from the room for the last time.

"I suppose that is true. I've made it clear to the Bishop that he is to speak out against this senseless war and that I thoroughly denounce it." Luna nodded her head proudly as she gave Twilight a wide smirk.

Rocking back onto her heels, Twilight let out a long sigh and shook her head.

"I think that would be a very bad idea."

Luna's smirk died in a flash, the princess glaring daggers towards the Arch-Mage of Abjuration.

"And why is that, Twilight Sparkle?"

"It would be disastrous for the moral of our army. It would send chaos through their ranks."

"Good! Maybe they'll then return to their homes." Luna almost spat the words as she took her tea from Twilight. She was pleasantly surprised when the sweet aroma of acai struck her senses. The berries grew far to the east across the plains of the fallen empire of Sumanthor around the den of thieves, pick-pockets, and cut throats that was the city state of Memnar. It had been too long since Luna had tasted her favourite tea blend. She'd have to ask how Twilight had gotten a hold of the rare berries.

"No, not good," Twilight sighed as she sipped at her own tea. "The army of Avend will crush our army and invariably march towards Roxholm upon Tyme itself. Which would then draw the wizards and you directly into the fight, as we were drawn in when the goblins swarmed out of the mountains."

Growling to herself, Luna buried her face in her hooves.

"Of course, how have I grown so blind and foalish, Twilight?" Luna slowly shook her head, a mirthless chuckle rolling from her. "I was once a general without peer. Now? I make mistakes any sensible pony would know better than to make."

Putting on a brave and consoling smile, Twilight said, "Princess, you were Nightmare Moon when you last went to war, and before that it was centuries between wars. You aren't the pony who rose up against her sister anymore, you don't think or act like her. It's understandable that you'd not make the same conclusions."

"Maybe, but it's still so vexing."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, I was planning another Walk-About. I could push the departure sooner and head south to see if I can broker a peace between the two sides."

"Avend won't listen to you," Luna sighed, slowly shaking her head. "Not only are you a wizard, but you're the Arch-Mage of Abjuration and the Purple Wizard. They'd be sharpening their pitch-forks and lighting the torches before you crossed the border."

"They'd be fools then," Twilight said with a wide smirk.

"Where are you planning to go to this time?" Luna asked, taking the offered conversation change.

"The ruins of a city called Washerton, or something like that. It was the Ancient's old capitol of one of their empires. Or that's what my translations seem to indicate. There is supposed to be an extensive shelter built underneath some sort of headquarters for their army."

"I thought the Ancients didn't have any armies until they Sinned."

"Well, yes and no. They weren't always unified and relatively peaceful. According to my research this place was closed and turned into a museum over a century before the Sins. But, it could have been used during the creation of the Dynamos and the Crown. It's worth a look at the least."

Twilight smiled over her tea, her eyes twinkling at the prospect of finding more knowledge left behind by the dead civilization. Luna gave her head a rueful shake. A part of her wanted to dissuade Twilight from going on such a long journey. She knew that it'd take the better part of a year to reach the site of the ruins, not that there would be any ruins visible after so many thousands of years. But it was impossible to stop the arch-mage, she knew.

"What about you? I've spent all this time ranting and raving about my problems and I've not thought to ask about yours. I'm sorry," Luna said, hanging her head.

"You're asking about the wards, right?" Twilight said in more of a statement than a clarifying question.

Luna just nodded.

"They are breaking down again. I've had to reinforce the enchantments a couple times already this year. I was going to ask for your help before I left for the walk-about."

"How long do you think you have?"

"A few years, six or seven at the most. Maybe a decade if I don't use any magic other than repairing the wards."

Twilight shrugged, trying to convey that she wasn't worried. Luna saw through the deception, the worry and fear clear in Twilight's eyes.

"You'll find the way home before then, don't worry," Luna said, but she could hear the faintest tremor of doubt in her own voice.

"Yeah, one of the advantages of Prophecy. I just hope it isn't too late."

"Who is going with you on this walk-about?" Luna asked deciding to steer away from the troubling conversation and back to safer grounds.

"Tracey, Laughingcart, April naturally, and Locke are all joining me from the Arcanum. Sunalinda, Vernon and Kodiak will be meeting us at the entrance to the pass of No Hope, as will Sir Fairhand and Sir Quickblade from the Golden Chalice."

"Why are a pair of Paladins joining your walk-about?" Luna arched an eyebrow.

"I asked them to, of course," Twilight replied with a casual wave of her hand. "Agar's blade, Bobotheeramel, was crafted using a Dynamo, and Elizabeth hasn't left his side since the two were engaged."

"Really? His sword was made using a Dynamo?" Luna said in surprise. She remembered the tall Nortmun Paladin from her first trip from the Protectorates to Roxholm upon Tyme. She even remembered his words during the fateful night Sir River had become the first Paladin of the Moon Ascendant, about how his blade had tasted undead flesh in the past. She also remembered how in a later visit to the Order of the Golden Chalice's fortress-city home the sword had whispered in her thoughts and dreams, begging her to take him up herself. "I am not sure I think it wise for you to be near that sword. There is a sinister air about it."

"I know. Bobotheeramel is always hungering after more powerful souls to bind and leech energy from, and who alive have more raw power than the two of us?" Twilight shrugged as she poured more tea for herself. "I'll be careful."

"Perhaps Sir River should go with you as well, just in case. She is Sir Fairhand's cousin and knows the sword's ways."

Twilight shrugged again.

"If it will make you feel better. We are already a rather large party, one more won't make much of a difference." Twilight sipped her tea. "Are you feeling better now?"

Surprisingly, Luna found that she was indeed feeling much better, and said so.

"Thank you, Twilight Sparkle, for being a friend. I have so few. Plenty of retainers and sycophants, but few true friends." Luna said as she got up to return to the Cathedral of the Moon. "I'll do as you suggest in regards to this war and not have my priests openly condemn it."

"Good, because the last thing we want is for a thousand wizards, witches, bards, skalds, shamans, and witch-doctors running through the countryside blowing things up."

Luna tried to suppress a shudder at the thought of the collected practitioners of magic in the Arcanum set loose across the countryside.

"Indeed."

"I'll visit in a few days to get the wards bolstered, we can talk more then, okay?" Twilight said as she walked Luna towards the mirror that separated the Arcanum from the Cathedral of the Moon. It was a short walk to the top of the Arcanum where the mirrors connecting to places outside the wizard's home were kept.

"Yes, I would enjoy that. Keep safe, and may the Sun and Moon watch over you, Twilight Sparkle."

* * *

Beneath the slopes of Mount Odyssey, as a frosty wind howled down from the north, a hundred thousand souls marched, their boots creating an endless rumble. Across one of the mountain's slopes Twilight rode at the head of a great host, her eyes fixed on the distant line of coloured banners denoting the various units and portions of the legions under the command of the newly crowned Empyrior of the Risen Sumanthor. The very name put bile in her mouth. The idea that she'd pushed for the empire's rebirth only added to the sense of dread.

Lavender energy snapped and hissed around Twilight's fingers as she continued to glare at the distant army that she'd helped assemble until a throat cleared next to her. Looking to the sound's owner, Twilight wasn't surprised to see Locke.

"Are you alright, my dear?" the Arch-Mage of the Whispers asked.

Nodding once, Twilight closed her eyes as she again bolstered the wards cutting her soul in half, the sparks of magic around her hand fading away.

"Yeah, I just can't believe it's come to this."

"No one could have known about the evil sealed in those ruins. You are not to blame for its release."

"It is kind of you to say that, but we both know it is incorrect." Twilight sighed.

In the distance she watched the first swarm of arrows take to the air, flung high by Londinium longbows. She could imagine the whistling of their descent as they fell upon the golden army of the enemy. Scores fell in the first few moments, tens of thousands more would join them before the sun set. Closing her eyes, Twilight looked away.

"This is my fault."

"Perhaps, but look at the positive." Locke said, the old necromancer's voice lifting Twilight's gaze. "You have brought hope back to a land that has known nothing but anger, bitterness, despair, and distrust for two hundred years. You have re-united a broken and desperate people and created the greatest army seen since the days of the first Empyrior. You look ahead and see death and despair. I see a brighter future for all this land."

"But at what cost?" Twilight whispered. She cringed as in the distance she saw a line of rippling fire consume the front ranks of the enemy. Only a wizard could be responsible and Twilight wondered if it was Tracey or April. A small sharp pang briefly pierced her side as she wished it could have also been Laughingcart, but he was gone, buried alive in that cursed and defiled hole they had entered, a laugh and smile on his dying lips. "Memnar is gone, consumed by the enemy, and only because it had the misfortune of sitting atop of the ruins of an empire thought dead for millennia. Laughingcart, Quickblade, and Vernon are dead. Sunalinda lays on her deathbed and is unlikely to awaken. She'll never see her daughters again in either case. All because of me."

"Not you, them."

Locke pointed at the advancing line of the enemy. The two armies were clashing blade to blade now, the experienced soldiers of Sumanthor holding their ground against the vile corrupted forces trying to overwhelm their positions. Outnumbered over three to one, the soutmun refused to surrender a single foot of ground. They all knew that if their lines broke, there would be no preventing the tragedy that had befallen Memnar from engulfing the other cities.

This was the new empire's final stand.

From the north came the rumble of hooves as the cavalry of the knights of Suman smashed into the enemies flank. Even so far from the front lines Twilight could hear the screams of the wounded and dying.

"Some saviour I've turned out to be," she said letting the bitterness tear at her face.

Little Lost Star, the enemy threatens to overwhelm the southern legions. If they break through, they will roll up the line and towards our rear. You must hurry or all will be lost.

Twilight cringed as the cold words rustled through her thoughts like an ill wind. She had never gotten used to Bob's telepathy. Looking towards Locke she saw an unfocused look to the necromancer's eyes, one that told her that he was receiving the same message. Crinkling his nose in disdain at the intrusion into his mind, the older arch-mage kicked his heels against his horse's flanks urging the stallion to be faster.

"It seems we are needed already, my dear," he sighed.

Twilight just nodded and imitated the kick to spur her own mount towards the battle. As the two rode they passed the reserve troops, all of whom stood and saluted the two arch-mages and the host of knights at their back. Field medics ran about with litters carrying the wounded, those that could be pulled away from the front. Many more, Twilight knew, would be laying in the mud and blood not far ahead, unable to be retrieved until the fighting ended, or the enemy was pushed back. Most would die of their wounds long before either could be achieved, especially with an enemy that did not fear death or injury.

As they drew closer the ringing of steel on steel grew louder, as did the moans of the dying and shouts of commanders, all barely audible over the crashing thunder of four thousand hooves. Twilight's hand tightened on her staff until the knuckles were white. Her jaw set into a determined line and her teeth ground together.

"You must put aside the past and your feelings," Locke continued as they drew closer to the front lines. "If you give into despair and grief at this, our most crucial hour, all could be lost."

"'She will save us, or doom us all'," Twilight quoted, letting out a deep sigh. "You're right, as always. Thank you, Locke. You've been perhaps my harshest critic over the years."

"And one of your greatest supporters," he added with a wry smile. "I am, and always have been, an agent of fate and balance. My son was an absolute fool not to realise the true purpose of a practitioner of Necromancy. Then again, he always took after his harpy of a mother."

Twilight winced at the mention of the late Duke Rutland.

"So, do you have a plan?"

"I always have a plan."

Just ahead they could see the front ranks of the soldiers. The air was thick with the metallic tang of blood and the heavy scents of fouler things. Lifting their staves, both arch-mages began to pull on the Ley Lines, summoning their most potent spells.

From the ground in the center of the enemy's lines burst a great serpent of ice, deadly shards shed from its body as it twisted and turned, churning and roaring through the enemy. With each pass of the serpent dozens of the enemy were frozen solid, their bodies shattering as the army of Sumanthor cheered and surged forward.

Meanwhile, high overhead, the sky darkened and boiled as dark billowing storm clouds gathered. From their center descended a screaming horde of spectral wraiths. As they neared the enemy they lashed out with ghostly chains, each stroke burning through flesh and bone leaving behind nothing but a smoldering pile of ash and twisted armour.

Into the breach smashed the two arch-mages and the thousand knights at their back.

For what felt like ages the two arch-mages battled, spell after spell bursting from staff or ring. At last the enemy broke, their forces pulling back.

Twilight said a silent prayer to Celestia and Luna when she noticed the enemy retreating. She was also a little confused. The enemy never retreated, they always fought until they achieved victory or were utterly destroyed. Not that she would begrudge even a moment's reprieve.

"Arch-Mages!" called a deep rumbling voice, making Twilight look away from the retreating lines of the enemy and towards an approaching general judging by the gold and silver armour he wore.

A thin smile touched her lips as she recognised the massive mount of Sir Fairhand. The paladin nodded to Twilight and Locke, slipping off Clydesdale as he neared.

"I bring word from the north. She has finally shown herself."

At once Twilight and Locke looked toward where the center of the army still battled.

There they saw Her, a massive black blot against the grey streaked sky. Wings kissing the winds, She descended, a primal roar and white flames pouring from her mouth. Tucking her wings to her sides, She landed in the midst of the human army, flames boiling away swaths of men in a twist of her head.

"Tiamat," Twilight said, her voice cold, "the Dragon of Chaos."

Without looking to those around her, Twilight kicked her horse towards the distant dragon-god. She knew she'd never reach Tiamat in time to effect the outcome of the battle. She could only hope and pray to Celestia and Luna that the pawns she'd moved this last year fulfilled their purpose. Such cold cruel math and tactics burned at Twilight. She had begun to wonder often if when she finally found the way home to Ponyville and Equestria if any of her friends would recognise her. Twilight no longer recognised herself in the mirror.

As she knew, the battle was decided just before she reached the site of the dragon-god's landing. There, as the moon hung high overhead in the mid-day sun, a sight impossible in Equestria, a golden light pierced the heart of Tiamat, laying the tyrant low. Chaotic magic exploded across the fields of mud and suffering. Twilight's horse collapsed beneath her, struck down by the shock-wave of pure magic. Quickly regaining her feet, she pressed ahead.

Twilight came to the site of the dragon-god's final moments, her heart hammering in her chest. Nothing remained of Tiamat save a massive crystalline heart the colour of an infected scab. Buried deep into the heart so that only the hilt showed was a sword. Dawnafawn, Twilight said to herself as she tore her eyes from the sword and scanned the crater Taimat's destruction had created.

There, next to the dead crystal heart, were three women. Tracey, her robes torn and bloody; the newly crowned Empyrior, Samantha Fairhand, with a great rent in the shoulder of her armour, the same arm hanging limp and useless at her side; and April, the wizard laying with her head in the Empyrior's lap.

Twilight's heart broke in that instant as she looked at the broken form of her apprentice, her ward, and her oldest friend of this world.

Tears threatening to pour from her eyes, Twilight made her way down towards the three women.

"Shush, little one, shush, you fought bravely. If'n nought fer yer acts, we surely would have not carried the day," Twilight heard the Empyrior say as she stroked April's blood caked hair. "Look, here comes yer master now. Well repair to the medics, an' they'll fix ye up new and bonny."

Looking to Tracey for confirmation of the Empyrior's words, Twilight saw the older illusionist slowly shake her head. Nodding once in understanding, Twilight fell to her knees beside April.

"Master?"

Taking April's hand in her own, Twilight whispered, "I'm here, little sparrow."

April's eyes moved towards the source of Twilight's voice. They were completely black telling Twilight in ways words couldn't that April was dying and there was nothing she could do even with all her healing spells. The corruption of chaos magic was flowing through April slowly eating away at her own essence.

"We won," April managed to smile, though Twilight knew every nerve in her apprentice's body was burning. "The second Sin has been redeemed. The Dark Lady has been smote upon the mountain side, just as you prophesised."

"Yes, She has," Twilight felt April's hand grip tighter as a spasm of pain rippled through the young woman.

"My daughters, tell them... tell them—"

"I'll tell them all about their mother, when they are old enough," Twilight promised, a tear trickling down her face.

"What? No, you'll be home long before they'd understand," April said, a weak chuckle turning into a hacking cough. "Tell them when you return to Roxholm upon Tyme anyways."

The bells sewn into the sleeves of April's robes jangled as another spasm wracked the young woman.

Bells.

Twilight blinked looking at the dozens of bells. Why weren't there any bells when they'd met in the Winterlands all those years before? Eyes growing wide a mad, insane, possibly chaos induced idea leapt forward. Raising her hand, Twilight called to her staff, the thick polished black oak jumping towards her.

"Master, what are you doing?" April asked, pinching her brow together.

"We were deceived," was all Twilight said as she began to channel her magic.

* * *

Luna stood watching the annual festival of the Moon from her balcony, a goblet of wine held in her thin hands, and a sad smile on her face.

Two years, it had been two years since she'd last seen her sister's most faithful student. Soon that would change, the alicorn hoped.

News continued to filter over the mountains. Tales of a grand battle fought to determine the fate of all the nations of Man. Tales of a terrible black dragon larger than any other two dragons combined. Tales of war, misery, and victory.

She brought the wine to her lips and took a gentle sip of the sweet liquid. Just as she was about to turn away from the festival Luna caught a flicker of lavender out of the corner of her eye. Turning, she saw a glowing barn owl descending towards her. Lifting her hand to provide a roost for the construct, Luna felt her smile grow and become genuine.

Twilight had returned.

Owlowiscious gently landed on the provided hand, his magical form creating hardly any weight or pressure, though it did send a little tingle up Luna's arm. Leaving the wine behind, Luna returned to her chambers stroking the magical owl's beak and neck.

Out of the view of the public, Luna let her transformation end, reverting to her true form with Owlowiscious perched on her back between her wings.

Settling on a series of cushions, the dark blue alicorn lifted a book and waited.

The wait was not long before the doors to her chambers opened and Sir River stepped through, bowing quickly to Luna.

"Ma'am, the Arch-Mage of the Unbreakable Wall and the Arch-Mage of the Whispers are here to see you."

Sir River couldn't contain her smile as she said the words Luna had waited so long to hear.

Snapping the book closed, the alicorn stood and called for Twilight and Locke to enter. Her beaming smile faded as she laid eyes after so long on the two arch-mages.

Both looked rough and harried, their robes still carrying the dark stains of blood. But it was their eyes that struck Luna the most. Twilight's in particular looked so old and weary. Yet they strode on energetic feet, their staves clicking like thunder on the marble floor.

The arch-mages swept into low bows, Owlowiscious jumping from Luna and with a quick few flaps, alighting on Twilight's shoulder.

"You look like you have ridden through Tartarus and back again," Luna said, and instantly regretted her words and the pained expression that flashed across Twilight's face before being hidden behind an indifferent mask.

"I have seen things I had never dreamed possible, not in my worst nightmares, Princess."

The formal cold tone in Twilight's voice hit Luna harder than even the sight of the wizard. Luna stepped forward and wrapped her hooves around her dearest friend. Soft sobs were buried in the shoulder of her coat, and the alicorn wrapped her wings around Twilight.

"Only rumour and hearsay has reached me. Please, in your own words and your own time, tell me what happened," Luna said, her voice weighted with consolation.

"I have found the means to control the Dynamo," Twilight said instead. "I can return as to Equestria whenever you are ready. There are a few last tasks I wish to wrap up here before we leave. I have to Name potential successors and take Sunalinda home as well as make sure she'll be taken care of. She and Kodiak are waiting in a tavern outside the city for the night."

"She is blind," Twilight partially explained as Luna gave her a questioning look. "Someday I'll tell you all about my travels, but it won't be today. For now, I wish nothing more than a warm bath and to sleep in a proper bed. We've been on the road for a month now, stopping only to rest our horses. These have been the longest two years of my life, and for one night, I'd like to be able to forget."

"Of course," Luna said, releasing Twilight from the hug. "And what of you Locke?"

"Sadly I cannot stay. I must return to the Arcanum and make sure no new calamity hasn't befallen the place in our absence." Locke again briefly bowed to Luna, then, in a move that left the alicorn's mouth hanging open in shock, kissed Twilight briefly on the brow, whispering, "I'll see you later, my dear."

"I think I'd like that," Twilight replied, and for a moment the hollow emptiness in her eyes vanished.

When the Arch-Mage of the Whispers had left, the door snapping shut at his heels, Luna asked, "You and the Necromancer?"

"It's not what you think." Twilight's cheeks burned cherry red as she sunk onto a cushion. "He's just a good intellectual match for me, and he has been with me every step of this last journey. I wouldn't have made it home, not sane anyways, without him."

Folding her hooves beneath her, Luna let a sly grin onto her face.

"Do you love him?"

"What? No! Yes. Maybe! I don't know. I've not been able to think about it, to be honest. And he is a soutmun, and I am a unicorn. Or I am supposed to be a unicorn. Ugh! I hate this! Everything has been so clear, if dark and terrible, and now it's all confusing and turned up-side-down. And even if I did love him, I can't stay here and he can't come with me. We have our own paths to walk from this point forward."

"Hmmm. You say you have found the means to control the artefact?"

"Yes, I should, in theory, be able to open a direct portal between this world and Equestria. There are risks involved, but there always are with powerful magic."

"What of the others? I already know that both Fairhands have remained behind, what with having a new empire to manage. But what of the others?"

"Vernon, Laughingcart, and Quickblade didn't make it. Tracey stayed behind to advise the new Empyrior and her consort."

"And April Conrad?"

"She had to return to Londinium to retrieve her twin daughters. She should return to the Arcanum within the month."

Luna blinked for a few moments before a long wide grin split her features. Then she stopped, her brows pinching with uncertainty.

"But... then?"

"We were both deceived, Luna." Twilight growled the words, her nose crinkling in anger. "Whoever it was we met in the Winterlands and traveled with you to Equestria was not April Conrad."

Still blinking, though now in surprise and concern, Luna asked, "then, what did she want? Why aid us?"

Twilight simply shrugged.

"I have a theory, but I won't be able to test it until we use the Dynamo."

"When will that be? I am eager to see my sister again," Luna said, and in a quieter whisper, "as well as my daughter."

"October would be best. The veil between worlds is thinnest, and it gives us both time to prepare, as well as ready the city for our departure."

"So, two months then?"

"Two months, and we can finally go home."