• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 3,386 Views, 152 Comments

Sins of the Ancients - Tundara



Adventure with Twilight finding her way home from another world.

  • ...
11
 152
 3,386

Chapter Thirteen: An Elemental's Gift

Sins of the Ancients

Chapter Thirteen: An Elemental's Gift

"Death shall stalk the White Lady through sleeper's dreams,
A gift of the dead keeping his touch at bay."

-From the Prophecy of the Purple Wizard

Rarity floated on top of the sea of dreamers, lost and alone. Reaching out a hoof she touched one of the dreamscapes, only to have it burst and the dreamer within wake. Sighing, she crossed her hooves, trying to avoid disturbing anymore dreamers.

It felt like she'd been alone, tumbling amongst the dreams, for days. Only a few hours had passed in Equestria, as evidenced by the growing number of dreams. One, a gentle white orb no larger than Rarity's hoof, danced and weaved around her. Every time she reached for it, the dream would dart away. The dream was growing smaller, not popping like the other dreams, just slowly fading.

The dream was hers, Rarity knew, and she was afraid of what would happen when it was completely gone. Would she be lost, forever drifting in a sea of sleeping ponies, only able to watch their fantasies or nightmares. Or would she too vanish, and move on to the Golden Fields, where it was said the dead roamed. She felt certain that she wasn't going to wake up, safe and comfortable in her bed.

Of the two possibilities Rarity imagined, she was unsure which one frightened her more.

She didn't want to die, not yet. There was so much to do and see. Sweetie Belle getting her cutie mark. Finding love, and having foals. Reaching the peak of the fashion industry. And spending pleasant days with her friends. Rarity wanted all of it, and more.

Quietly, afraid of disturbing the dreams around her, Rarity cried.

More and more bubbles popped into existence, the dreamers inside oblivious to the drifting white unicorn.

"Hello there," a little lilting voice chirped, Rarity jumping, or trying to jump rather, at the sudden noise. "Whatcha doing out of your dream?"

Turning towards the voice, Rarity saw a small white translucent filly. Mane a bundle of curls, the filly looked like a young, white, and partially see-through version of Pinkie Pie. She even had the same wide smile and nervous bouncy energy about her as she bounded from dream to dream towards Rarity. The only difference were the eyes, two dark red eyes that Rarity instantly recognised.

"You!" Rarity hissed, thrusting a hoof towards the spirit-filly. "What are you doing here?"

"Me? I live here, silly. Well, I do now at least. Though not exactly 'live' as I'm dead." the spirit-filly giggled, covering her face with a hoof as she floated past Rarity. "I saw you earlier, with my brother. He wasn't very nice to you or the pretty blue unicorn-pegasus pony."

The spirit-filly shuddered, tucking her hooves up against her belly as her face scrunched up into the most adorable look Rarity had seen. Sweetie Belle could take tips on adorableness from the spirit, and Sweetie was an expert in looking cute to avoid punishment, or wheedle gifts from Rarity. After the shuddering passed, the spirit-filly opened her eyes, and Rarity saw in them an inner innocence. She had no doubt that the spirit-filly was similar to the Fifth, but had none of the Fifth's malice or evil.

"I followed him, my brother I mean, here when he went after that nosey lady wizard who was poking around our castle. He hates it when wizards poke around our castle. Brother is gone now, though," the spirit-filly stated sadly, a heavy sigh leaving her. "I always hoped he'd get better. Stop being so mean. Too late now, too late now."

"You're related to that... thing?" Rarity turned her nose up, biting back a bit of imaginary bile. Drifting among the dreams she had none to rise at the memory of the Fifth.

"Yup-yup! He was my twin brother!" the spirit-filly laughed, rolling around Rarity, and clapping her hooves. "He died first."

"If you don't mind me saying so, but you seem a lot, uh, younger, than your brother."

Rarity just barely avoided saying 'foalish'.

"Yup-yup!" laughing more the spirit-filly stopped in front of Rarity, and laid her head against Rarity's leg, like a foal resting against her mother in a warm summer-kissed glen. "I always chose to be younger than Eric. Oops! I meant the Fifth. Shh, don't tell anypony his name was Eric when he was alive. He always hated when the living knew his real name."

"Your secret is safe with me."

"Good. I like you. You're really nice and generous, just like Althea. But that makes sense, since Althea is in you."

Raising an eyebrow, Rarity looked down at the spirit-filly. "Who was Althea?"

"Oh, she was the Alicorn of Wealth and Prosperity, from before the bad times. You're lucky. You're dreamland isn't broken. Not like the Winterlands. There are still echoes of her, and her friends, here. Echoes that are in you now! Looking at you I can see her, just there," the spirit-filly tapped Rarity on the chest just above the heart, her hoof leaving a cool sensation behind, like a cream had been spread in her coat. "I also talked to somepony who knew her. I could take you to him. He didn't know her well, and is a bit of a grumpy-lump, but it's better than nothing."

"Besides, he'll want to know what has happened."

Laughing and frolicking, the spirit-filly lead Rarity through the growing sea of dreams. It grew thicker and thicker with each passing moment until there was almost no room to squeeze through between dreams. The spirit-filly kept vanishing from sight, dodging, leaping, or bouncing off dreams, making Rarity sigh and call for the spirit to slow down. They entered an area with fewer dreams, just a small cluster to one side, and two of the biggest dream-bubbles Rarity had seen yet. One was a golden glowing orb so intense it stung Rarity's eyes looking towards it. Inside, Rarity saw a fleeting white shape, wings flapping as it soared through an azure sky.

"Celestia?" Rarity asked, turning towards the spirit-filly.

Nodding, the spirit-filly pranced around Celestia's dream, smiling and poking it a few times. Then she hopped over to the other dream. A roiling sea of black, reds, and pink, this dream had a sinister feel that permeated the air. Cringing, Rarity slowly approached the dream, her own orb slowly following. Inside it she couldn't see anything.

"Is this..."

"Yup!" The spirit-filly chirped excitedly.

Before Rarity could protest, she was grabbed by the leg, and pulled into the ugly dream. There was a momentary sensation of falling, and then nothing. Blinking, Rarity looked around her. Beside her the spirit-filly was no longer a filly, but a small girl in a pinafore dress. Cherub-like face smiling wider still, she began to skip, and for a few moments Rarity marvelled at how anything could move in such a way with only two legs without falling.

"Well, well, well, what have we here?" slid a cold voice out of the nether of the dream, sending a deep shiver through Rarity. She knew that voice, and had hoped never to hear it again. "If it isn't little Chloe and the bearer of Generosity. How is your 'coltfriend', Tom, Rarity?"

Narrowing her eyes, Rarity growled, "Let us not speak of that."

Out of the shadows and murk, Discord emerged, a long grin etched deep into his malformed face. Rarity shivered again, taking an involuntary step back.

"Yes, why reminisce over old times. There is surely a reason you come to my gilded cage. That is probably far more interesting. So, why are you here, Rarity?"

"She needs to know about the First Sin, and what happened to the last Alicorns," said the spirit, jumping onto Discord's back and resting an elbow between his mismatched horns.

"Oh, that silly little thing?" Discord's eyes rolled in opposite directions. "Why ever would she need to know about that sordid bit of history?"

"Because He is coming."

Discord stopped moving mid-leer, both eyes rolling up to look at the spirit perched on his back.

"Impossible. The Door to Tartarus is sealed, barred, and guarded so that nothing will open it."

"That door is, yup-yup! But a new one is being opened."

"A new one?" Discord's mouth fell open. "Who would open a new Door to Tartarus? Do they even know how hard it was to bar the first one?"

The spirit shrugged, jumping off Discord's back.

"Is that really important? She's almost certain to do it now that my brother was stopped."

"The Fifth was defeated?" Discord jumped backwards, hanging in the air as he clutched his stomach, a deep series of chuckles making him tremble. "Who was it? Dear Celestia? Grouchy Luna? It couldn't have been the sweet innocent Cadence."

"Luna, I think. At least, she chased him through a Door that had been opened a crack." Tapping a finger to her lip, the spirit shrugged, then turned towards Rarity.

Putting one trepid hoof in front of another, Rarity edged towards the two chattering spirits. "Luna was there, as well as a spirit of a woman, I believe is the proper term," Rarity said. Her skin crawled being around the wretched spirit of chaos. The sooner they were done speaking to him and could leave, the better.

"A woman? Who?" Discord sounded genuinely intrigued, and Rarity thought that it wasn't surprising. He was trapped in stone, and apparently his own dreams. This must have been very novel for him.

"You don't know her. She's from my world. Goes around telling Seers the future, to a point. She's been busy though, the last century, getting ready. Hasn't had time for the Seers."

"Mmm, Hmm, go on."

"But she had to come here and stop my brother from using Rarity to block the Door from opening. I saw her and Luna here, but I got distracted, and couldn't stop her from hurting Eric, I mean Fifth. Now he is gone and I am Sixth. But what he'd try to do in a few months I'll take my time doing, maybe a century or two."

Rarity gave the spirit a long considering look.

So, this spirit was after the same thing the Fifth had been, but was going to be more patient and play the long game, rather than rush in like a minotaur in a china shop. The Fifth had been intent on becoming a god, or as powerful as a god at least, and really, when you're as powerful as one, then isn't it the same thing? Rarity shook her head to clear the thought. This spirit didn't seem as malevolent and evil as the Fifth at least. But Rarity had only just met her, how could she know for certain?

"So, are you going to help us, Mister Discord? Or what?"

"Ugh, I suppose I have little choice. As bland and boring as it is stuck here, the alternatives are far worse." Leaning forward, Discord gave Rarity a long devilish grin. "Listen up, because I'm only going to say this once. Those precious Elements of Harmony you cling to, I helped create them. Surprised? Oh, no use denying it, you're jaw hitting the floor is evidence enough."

Waving his eagle claw in the air, a long plush couch of red velvet appeared. Jumping backwards onto the couch, Discord patted the cushions on either side of him. Looking apprehensively to the spirit, Rarity slowly took a seat. Laughing, the spirit ignored the seat, and instead leapt up into Discord's lap. Huffing, Discord continued his story.

"Long ago, in the not-so-magical land of..."

* * *

Cadence disliked hospitals. It wasn't the almost overwhelming odor of disinfectants, though those were unpleasant enough, nor was it the feelings of despair and sadness that hung like a pliable shroud in the air. No, it was the memories hospitals brought back. Unlike Celestia, Cadence didn't put walls between her heart and the rest of ponykind.

Over the thousand years she'd lived, Cadence had taken many mortal lovers. The times spent with them always treasured. But mortals are mortal, and it always seemed so quick before their time came to an end. Often, those times came in the bed of a hospital. Or they had the last few centuries after hospitals became more than an inn for travellers with some rooms for the dying. Hospices they'd been called back then.

Her last husband had been dead almost a hundred years, gone peacefully in his sleep. The legacy of that marriage still lingered, and trotted along beside Cadence.

Proud and tall, Prince Blueblood kept his nose in the air, not even giving the nurses or patients a condescending look. Sighing, Cadence wondered how the arrogant stallion could be of her husband's line. There was nothing of her Grey Hammer in him, and, of course, absolutely nothing of her. That was to be expected, since Cadence was technically Bluebloods Step-great-great-granddame. Other than his white coat, Cadence couldn't even see anything of her great-grandcolt in Blueblood. Shamefully, Cadence wasn't upset that Blueblood had yet to marry, though he certainly had more than enough mares to pick between.

In stark contrast was the stallion on her other side; Captain Shining Armour. There was a real gentlestallion, one with honour, integrity, and humility. Shining Armour was also very handsome, with a strong broad build, wonderful white coat, and cobalt blue mane with a lighter stripe that matched his eyes. Eyes that flickered over to Cadence and met her own.

Blushing a little, Cadence looked away.

He also came from a good House, one that had been on the rise the last few generations. Twilight Sparkle, the heiress of the House, was the personal student of Princess Celestia, a position unheard-of since ancient times. Cadence herself couldn't recall her Aunt ever taking a student. There was more to Twilight than being Celestia's most Faithful Student.

Cadence, at Celestia's request, had been Twilight's foalsitter. That had been an odd few years. Her, a princess and royalty, foalsitting the heiress of a House, any House. Cadence had assumed her aunt was playing one of her games, and that assumption had been proven true over the years as Twilight became first Celestia's student, and then the Element of Magic.

Still blushing, Cadence brought herself out of her thoughts. They were approaching their destination anyways. Deep in the small hospital there stood a door flanked by two royal guards; one a Pegasus from the Stormbreaker Legion, the other a Unicorn Dragoon. Cadence recognized both, and giving each a small nod and thanking them by name, she entered the room.

Inside she saw the Arch-Mage, a middle-aged silvery-grey mare with a dark pink mane with a broad white stripe, waving her horn over the sole occupant in a bed. The rest of the room was empty except for a pair of battle-mages that stood in the corners. After a moment the light pink aura around the Arch-Mage's horn extinguished, and she looked over to the three ponies that had entered the room.

"Princess Cadence, Prince Blueblood, Captain Armour," the Arch-Mage said, a whisper of a smile on her face as she bowed to the two members of the royal family.

"Star Dancer, how is she?" Cadence asked, stepping towards the bed.

She winced as she caught sight of the bed's occupant. The blackened hair and overwhelming smell of singed fur assaulted Cadence's senses. She wanted to shed a tear, but knew it was impossible. Sighing sadly, she sat down across from the Arch-Mage, taking her aunt's hoof in her own.

"Physically, she's fine. Oh, it looks and smells bad, but that's all superficial. A few baths and a couple days and I suspect no pony will know the Princess had been in a fight. I'm more concerned about her mind."

Three sets of eyes snapped towards the Arch-Mage, all demanding answers.

"The spell used on her was the Night of Eternal Lament."

Cadence felt her wings stiffen, almost smacking Shining Armour in the face, and her stomach clenched. The only thought she had was that her mother had done this to Celestia. There was no other explanation. The Night of Eternal Lament was a spell Nightmare Moon had created specifically to fight Celestia, and one only she knew.

"Before you leap to conclusions, we've already deduced that Princess Luna is not responsible for this, not directly at least. The residual magical energy isn't like hers at all. Unfortunately we're not sure who is responsible. The only witness is still in a coma, most of the town having fled during the fight. Also," the Arch-Mage paused, taking a deep breath before continuing, "We've not been able to find Princess Luna. We know she arrived from the lingering magic, but there is no sign of her."

Cadence nodded slowly, thinking over what she'd been told.

Her beloved Aunt was asleep, caught in the grip of a spell created specifically to defeat her. Her mother was missing. The only witness of all the events was in a coma. The library had been destroyed, Cadence had seen the devastation when she had arrived. She was also aware two of Celestia's elite personal guards had been gravely injured.

"Who is the witness?"

"The Lady Rarity, Element of Generosity. We don't know the circumstances, but we do know from eyewitness accounts of the start of the fight that she attacked Celestia and the Elements of Magic and Laughter. Lady Pinkemena Diane Pie and the Countess Twilight Sparkle are both recovering in the adjoining room."

Out of the corner of her eye Cadence saw Shining Armour's head snap towards the Arch-Mage at the mention of Twilight.

"My sister, how is she?" he quickly asked.

"A little bruised, but fine. She's not spoken to anypony though. You know how your sister can get," Star Dancer said, a little laugh bubbling past her lips. "I suspect she'll refuse to speak to any pony until she knows Celestia is alright."

"That does sound like Twily," Shining agreed, slowly shaking his head.

"What about Pinky Pie?" Cadence asked.

"She is awake, but has said that Celestia wouldn't want her to talk to anypony else, and, if Celestia was awake, would make her do something called 'Pinky Swear' not to talk with others." Sighing, Star Dancer shook her head. "Honestly, it's hard to get anything coherent out of the Element of Laughter anyways. She continually goes down tangents and speaks nonsense."

Cadence nodded slowly. She was aware from those that had met the Element of Laughter that Pinky was 'different'. Insane was another word sometimes used. Cadence and Celestia had talked once briefly about the Elements and the effects they had on the mares who bore them. Of all the Elements, Laughter was the most unpredictable, bordering on chaotic.

Kissing her aunt on the brow just below the horn, Cadence stood and headed towards the adjacent room. Like Celestia's, it had a pair of guards in front of the doors. Inside were six mares and one filly. Twilight, Pinky, and Rarity all laid in beds, the first two awake. Around them sat Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash. The filly, Cadence didn't know her name, was curled up beside the unconscious Rarity.

Pinky Pie had been mid-sentence when the three Canterlot ponies entered, her mouth opening wide and a gleeful squeal bursting through the air.

"More new ponies? This is going to be the bestest 'Welcome to Ponyville and Get Well Rarity' party ever!"

"Now, sugarcube, what've we already discussed?" drawled Applejack, the farm-mare tossing her friend a withering look.

"No parties until I'm better," Pinky recited with a long sigh and her mane wilting.

"That's right." Applejack nodded proudly. "The Doc's worried about that concussion you got and don't want you doing anything too strenuous."

Pinky rolled her eyes.

Ignoring the two bickering mares, Shining Armour stepped up beside his sisters bed, a wide relieved smile on his face. Looking down from the point she'd been staring at, Twilight sighed.

"Hey, Twily, how're you holding up?"

Immediately the room was plunged into silence so deep that everypony knew something was wrong. Blueblood cleared his throat, standing beside Shining Armour. Frowning at the tension in the air, Shining Armour looked at the various ponies, all who looked away finding their hooves or the ceiling suddenly of great interest.

"Alright, what is it, because something is clearly wrong," Shining Armour said, fixing his gaze on Applejack.

"Well, I'm not sure if the Princess would want us to-"

"I'm not Twilight Sparkle," said the lavender mare between Shining Armour and Applejack. "My name is Jasmine, and no, I'm not going to explain all this again," she huffed, crossing her hooves.

Cadence blinked, shocked by the frank admission, sharing a deeply concerned look with both Blueblood and Shining Armour.

"If you're not the Countess Sparkle, then where is she?" asked Blueblood, and for once Cadence detected a note of concern in her great-great-grand-colt's voice.

"Near as I can guess, she's in my body," Jasmine shrugged. "And if they'd let me out of here I'd be working on a way to fix this!" Jasmine added, raising her voice so it could be heard beyond the room.

From between Pinky and Rarity, Rainbow Dash snorted and tossed her head. Cadence got the sense that the Elements had been having this discussion on and off since coming to the hospital.

"Don't worry, I'm super-duper-positive that Twilight will be home before we know it! Then we can have a 'Welcome Back Twilight' Party! I'm going to need more streamers, and cupcakes, and punch, and we can play games like-"

Pinky's voice droned on, all the other ponies attempting to tune out the party pony.

"Um, Princess, if you don't mind my asking, but, uh, what are you doing here? With us I mean," asked Fluttershy.

"I wanted to visit the six of you, especially Lady Rarity. Maybe you can tell me what happened this morning."

"Rarity was a fool, that's what happened," snapped Jasmine, tossing her hooves into the air. "I warned her about the Elemental, but no, she had to save her sister. Not that I can totally blame her for that, despite what it almost cost everyone. Can't say I'd do the same thing, though. Then again, my brother's are total stuck-up, arrogant, conniving, back-stabbing, sons of Gorgons! We're damn lucky that the Fifth was over-confident and tried to fight Celestia."

Blushing a little after her rant, Jasmine looked away and out the window. Cadence shared a startled look with Shining Armour and Blueblood.

"Fifth? Elemental? I am completely lost," Shining muttered, hoof rubbing his temple.

Grumbling to herself, Jasmine said, "Fine, I'll go over everything, again. But this is the last time."

* * *

"And so, my dears, that is how the Door to Tartarus was barred, sealed, locked, and had a big 'Do Not Disturb' sign planted on it. Any questions?"

Discord floated upside down, a bucket of mint-chocolate ice-cream dangling half-empty next to him. Dipping a talon into the ice-cream, he swirled it around before licking his talon clean.

"So, if another Door is opened, the Elements of Harmony could be used to seal it, correct?"

"Indubitably."

"Well, seems pretty standard, actually," Rarity smiled smugly.

"Except you don't have all the Elements."

"Excuse me, darling?" Rarity asked turning to face the spirit.

"Twilight, she's trapped on the other side of Tartarus." The spirit sighed, rolling off the couch. "While her body may be here, her soul isn't. I'd know, I'm a bit of an expert with souls, and soul-locked artefacts."

"Actually, that has been bothering me. How did Twilight and this Jasmine switch bodies, across worlds no less, in the first place?"

"Don't look at me," Discord chuckled, tossing aside the ice-cream as he righted himself, the pail exploding in a showing of chocolate coated apples on impact. "You're dealing with those icky 'soul' things. Don't have one myself." Discord shuddered and scratched at his arms like they were covered with ants.

"It's time for us to leave anyways," the spirit said draping a hand along Rarity's withers.

"Remember your promise, little one. I have a two thousand year prison sentence to work off, and it gets so lonely."

"Oh, don't worry, Mr. Discord. Assuming we survive the next few days, I'll come back to pay you a visit." The spirit waved towards the Draconequus before Rarity felt a sharp tug just below her sternum.

With a little 'pop' the two left Discord's dreams, and found themselves again in a sea of bubbles. Rarity's own dream still hovered nearby, more faded and worn. Chewing on her lower lip, Rarity turned towards the spirit. Once again in the form of a filly, she pranced towards Celestia's dream.

"You coming? This should only take a few minutes," the spirit said pausing next to Celestia's dream.

"Yes, but I'd like an answer to my question. How did Twilight and Jasmine switch bodies?"

"Ah, yeah, that. It's complicated , technical, and a bit wonky. But, the important thing is this; it wasn't an accident. Jasmine, my brother, Twilight, even Luna; they are all being manipulated, and none of us here in Equestria can stop it. Not anymore that is."

The spirit seemed genuinely sad to Rarity, her face long, and a blood red tear leaking from the corner of her crimson eyes. The spirit looked towards Celestia's dream, and sighed again. She took another step towards the golden orb, but one that was slow and weary.

Looking over her shoulder the spirit said, "I'll only be a few minutes, hopefully," before disappearing into the dream.

Rarity stood, floating amongst the multi-hued sea, for what felt only a few moments before the spirit came tumbling back out. Following the spirit, a suspicious glower on her face, was Celestia. The moment Celestia fully stepped out of her dream the bubble popped.

"That went better than expected," the spirit chirped, doing a little prance between Celestia and Rarity.

"You claimed to be able to help us against the other spirit," Celestia stated, her tone and posture rigid.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, um," the filly spirit rubbed the back of her head, shooting Rarity a pleading look.

Not sure exactly what the spirit wanted, but trusting it enough that she couldn't see the harm, especially since it was only the truth, Rarity said, "Princess, the other spirit, the one who took control of me, is gone. He was removed from me, and then Princess Luna saved me. I... don't know what happened afterwards."

"He was destroyed. His essence blown apart and lost to Tartarus. All the Elementals felt it and knew when it happened. I was the Seventh, now I am Sixth."

"So, my little ponies are safe," Celestia stated more than asked, visibly relaxing.

"Oh no, no, no, no!" the spirit said, waving her hooves frantically. "You are very not safe! As not safe as you can be!"

Celestia's face immediately grew grim and Rarity felt a tingle of magic running up her back.

"Care to explain?"

"Its Twilight Sparkle. She desperate to get home, but in order to do so she has to open two Doors, and He is waiting for her to do just that! They are readying even now to march forth in a wave of blood and terror the likes not seen in millennia." The filly-spirit was shivering before Celestia, wide panicked eyes darting towards the invisible horizon. "I saw it, took a peak with the help of an old dying stallion. Saw the Door open, and the skies turn the colour of ash and the rivers red with blood and the maimed bodies of the dead and dying. But I also saw hope! It's possible to win, even if it's impossible now to prevent the Door from opening."

The filly-spirit pointed towards Rarity.

"As long as she lives, there is still a glimmer of hope."

Rarity blinked, and trembled. The feeling of magic was growing stronger, while Celestia seemed to have softened again. Rarity looked up towards her dream, and saw that it had almost completely faded. She was about to ask if either Celestia or the spirit could help, when a lance of sharp burning agony tore up her spine and into her horn. Screaming, Rarity tried to fall onto her side clutching her head, only to drift slowly upward.

"Rarity!" Celestia and the spirit shouted in unison.

Through the pain Rarity heard the spirit talking.

"Oh no, this is bad! Very, very bad! Jasmine's trying to excise me from Rarity. I'm the only thing that's been keeping her alive. We have to act fast or she'll be lost." Rarity felt herself being picked up and cradled, though she wasn't certain who held her. "I was going to infuse the life of a still-born foal into her, but there is no time now."

"You were going to do WHAT?" shouted the princess, and from the volume and force Rarity suspected it was Celestia that was cradling her.

Rarity herself would have been more disgusted and incensed at the suggestion, but she was just in too much pain. It felt like molten lead was being poured into her through her horn.

"Can't now. Too late. Didn't want for it to end this way. There will be unseen consequences that could be years in the making. Oh well, what is that ancient saying; 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one'?"

The pain was lessoning, becoming a dull heavy weight across Rarity's mind. She was feeling so heavy and tired, like she could just sink and be lost. Then there was a flash of coldness, an icy wave that broke through the ache leaving only a tingling giddiness behind. Rarity's eyes shot open.

Above her was Celestia, the princess holding Rarity in her forelegs, and above her was the filly-spirit clutching the almost transparent tiny dream-bubble that belonged to Rarity. There was a tether of white between the spirit and the dream, pulsing like a heart-beat to send another little wave of ice through Rarity. The filly smiled down at Rarity, and then vanished. The Dream swelled, glowing with a white luminescence for a heartbeat, then it came racing down, crashing into and engulfing Rarity.

Rarity's eyes grew wide as a last wave of ice greater than all the others combined washed through her. Images and memories exploded before her eyes and she felt herself falling. After an infinitesimal eternity the fall ended, colour and sound bleeding together to form a moving mosaic of a past that felt every bit her own as her memories of growing up in Ponyville.

Rarity stood on top of a half finished tower looking down on a valley of small woods and fields. In the distance she spotted a few small villages, and beyond them a couple white topped mountains. To her right was a sapphire blue lake, on its far side more mountains, the sun slowly sinking behind them.

"Where are you, you little whore?" Roared a deep voice, one that sent a deep spike of fear into Rarity.

Scrambling forward, Rarity hid behind a crate filled with masons tools. Hiding her face in her hands she whispered a prayer to the dead goddess of Luck that she wouldn't be found. A pair of boots stomped up wooden stairs, stopping just on the landing.

"I know you're up here Chloe! Come out, Daddy isn't mad at you, honest. He just needs to make sure you're alright."

A small twinge of hope blossomed in Rarity's heart at the words. Maybe the voice wasn't angry at her. Stifling a sob, Rarity slowly stood up.

At the top of the stairs stood a tall powerfully built man. His long moustache was waxed into a long curve like the tusks of a boar, and his square jaw showed a few days growth of stubble. A smile was on his lips, but not one of comfort, but one of triumph. Dark eyes, two pools of hazel, fell on Rarity and he let out a short barking laugh.

"There you are, my little whore of a daughter," he growled, taking a step forward, one hand resting on the hilt of his sword and a knife in the other.

"Daddy, please! You're scaring me!" Rarity pleaded taking a step towards the unfinished edge of the tower.

"They told me what you did, the voices. That you slept with the bakers son, and the baker. My own flesh and blood, laying with such common filth."

Heart pounding in her chest, Rarity tried to duck around her father, only to have him grab the collar of her dress and throw her back towards the tower's edge. Thin trails of frothing spittle rolled down his face as his eyes bulged from his face.

"I never Daddy, I swear!" Rarity cried, scooting backwards until her fingers found nothing but open air, "It's lies, all lies!"

"They said you'd say that!" he growled, leaning down over Rarity, knife playing in the fading light. "I'm wise to you. I'm wise to you."

The knife darted forward and Rarity screamed, foot kicking out and catching her father in the groin. Yelling in pain, both fell back; him clutching at his manhood, Rarity catching herself just before going over the tower's edge. Screaming louder, Rarity darted to her feet and stumbled towards the stairs. Something was blocking her vision though, making her crash into the crate of tools. Lifting a hand to her forehead, Rarity found her hand covered in blood, a gash leaving a flap of skin that covered her eyes if she didn't hold it up.

Almost retching at the thought and as the pain began to stab into her head Rarity saw her father stand. He had his sword in hand now and stood blocking the way to the stairs. Not that it would have mattered. He was a lot faster than Rarity. Biting her lip, Rarity looked for another avenue of escape, but saw nothing. She was trapped, and her father was going to kill her.

Rarity remembered what he had done to her brother and the guards he had believed betrayed him. How he had peeled off their skin with red-hot knives, pulled their eyes out with pliers, and crushed their fingers and toes in vices. From the look in his eyes, Rarity knew she wouldn't be treated as nicely.

Turning, she jumped from the tower. She didn't even scream as she fell down past the cliff the tower stood atop towards the waiting rocks so far below. The last thought she had before she struck the rocks was to hope that her mother would be alright. Bouncing from the stone Rarity clipped an old pine covered in sap, her legs snapping as she came to a rest. Coughing up blood Rarity tried to turn her head, only to regret the effort.

Pain and agony tore through every fiber of her being. She blinked up at the blue sky poking through the branches of the tree, wondering as a pair of robins flitted past why she hadn't died yet. What had she done that deserved so cruel a fate? Broken, Rarity wept. She didn't want to die, not yet, now that the end was closing in around her. Desperately Rarity tried to cling to life, the fingers on her one good hand digging into the dirt as a hiccup frothing red bubbled to the surface. Slowly, the world turned grey, the pain faded, and Rarity died.

Blinking, Rarity looked down on her body. It was ravaged from the fall, limbs askew at angles never meant to be attained. A pair of ribs poked from the left side, and brown eyes stared up like marbles towards the darkening sky. Holding back a sob and a scream, Rarity turned away from the scene.

It was then she noticed something Rarity hadn't expected. Beyond the cliff, from deep within the hill, pulsed a dark light. Like a heartbeat, it thrummed, the echo of the light tugging and pulling at her mind like barbed hooks. Unable to turn away, Rarity walked towards the heartbeat. She didn't even slow as she approached the crimson stained rocks at the base of the cliff, passing into and through the stone like mist through a forest.

A sensation not unlike swimming overcame Rarity. Waving her arms and kicking with her feet Rarity swam through the hill, following the trail of pulsing light. She emerged in an small cave. A small creek trickled and sung through the center of the chamber dividing on one half a small cluster of square building, and an alter or temple on the other. Bones, yellow with age and covered in mold lay scattered haphazardly about. Beyond the alter was a door, and beyond that the light continued to beckon.

Little silvery lights swung out of the water as Rarity strode forward, her gait long and determined. Pausing for a moment, Rarity looked at the lights, squinting as she saw moving within them. A gasp tickled her throat. Inside the lights were people; screaming, terrified people. They were babbling to each other and themselves, saying terrible things Rarity couldn't understand. Closing her eyes for a moment, Rarity turned away from the lights, and voices, she continued onward.

Passing through the door as she had the cliff, Rarity entered a small round room.

Above a raised dais pulsed and moaned the 'heart' Rarity had seen and heard. Violet and green energy swirled around each other in a thrumming vortex. Whenever the lights touched a pulse of sound made the fitted marble walls quiver creating the illusion of a beating heart. Stepping forward, Rarity held her breath, not that she needed to breath, and looked into the vortex.

Inside she saw Power and Knowledge.

Hands, one of each colour, reached out from depths of the vortex, grabbing Rarity by the head before she could leap away. A low howl tore from Rarity as she felt energy probe and feel out the very core of her soul. Incantations, spells, magic, the very foundations of reality poured into her mind. A crack of lightning split the air, the flow of knowledge ending as abruptly as it began.

Rarity fell backwards to the ground, laying half in the stone, floating on the surface as if it were water, her mind trying to process everything it had been shown.

"This is MINE, Chloe!" Snarled a familiar voice.

Rolling her head to the side, Rarity saw her brother. Eric stood, red eyes aglow with rage, small fists balled at his sides.

"The Shadow is mine to use, sister." He added, floating towards Rarity.

"Brother? But, Father killed you..." Rarity's voice trailed off in uncertainty.

"He killed us both. But don't worry, I'm going to pay him back a thousand fold for what he did to us." Eric twisted a wrist and in the air beside him a spear black as the night appeared, thin wisps of shadow dancing along the haft. "First, I need to deal with you. How does the South Tower sound? Yes, you may wander there, alone..."

Rarity couldn't do anything but scream as she was dragged from the chamber, up through the ceiling, and towards her prison.

* * *

Rainbow Dash sighed, completely bored and a deep ache of yearning burning through her wings at the beautiful afternoon glowing between the old stained curtains on the window. She gave her wings a single little flap, adjusting her position on her seat between Pinky and Rarity.

Troubles was, it had been afternoon for nearly twelve hours, the Sun hanging motionless in the sky.

Despite what many ponies thought, Rainbow Dash wasn't stupid or oblivious. She knew that things were getting bad, that Twilight wasn't Twilight, Luna was missing, and maybe had done something to Celestia. Unless Discord had broken loose again. Rainbow couldn't think of anypony else capable of hurting or stopping Celestia.

Sighing, Rainbow shifted again. The seats in the hospital were incredibly uncomfortable.

The other princess, Cadence, had left to go back to her aunt's room.

Rainbow wondered about her, and the way she seemed to stare at Twilight's brother. Twilight's brother; that was another odd thought. Rainbow had known Twilight for nearly two years, and not once had Twilight mentioned she had a brother. Then again, it wasn't like Rainbow talked about her family. None of them did, really, now that she thought about it.

Applejack's parents were dead. Pinky Pie had left her family farm for some reason she wouldn't talk about. Rarity's family all lived in Ponyville, though how the two could be related to either Rarity or Sweetie Belle eluded Rainbow Dash. Which left Fluttershy. Rainbow had known Fluttershy's family longer than either had lived in Ponyville.

Chuckling, Rainbow thought back to the day she'd met Fluttershy's family.

The two fillies, so proud of their cutie marks, sitting in an office at Flight Camp not sure if they were going to be punished, expelled, or what. Fluttershy's parents had arrived first. They were both so much like their daughter, especially Whispershy. It was eerie, the way both hid behind their manes despite being so beautiful. And powerful.

The Stare that the Flight Camp principle withered under when he had implied Fluttershy had almost died falling from the camp had stunned Rainbow, and she'd only caught the edge. She'd only see its like years later when Fluttershy herself faced down an irate dragon. But that was the secrete of the Mind Shatter Legion. Their Stare ability was feared more than the Wonderbolts' Thunderpunch. Except, unlike the flashy Wonderbolts, the Mind Shatter Legion kept to itself; quiet, secluded, harmless.

Dash kicked a hoof, staring across the still comatose Rarity to Fluttershy.

It was no secret that Rainbow Dash desired nothing more than to join the Wonderbolts. They were the most awesome and talented group of fliers in Equestria. Given Dash's speed, and now near legendary status of being the only pony capable of performing the Sonic Rainboom, some ponies around town had started to wonder why Rainbow Dash hadn't been invited. None mentioned it around her, and never to her face, but Rainbow knew it was making the gossip rounds. She also knew it was only the non-Pegasi asking the question.

Despite being unified for centuries, the three races still had their individual cultural quirks.

Earth Ponies were farmers and inventors, connected to the earth, and in general a stubborn lot.

Unicorns were divided into the insular, and often arrogant, nobles, and the commoners.

And the Pegasi had the Legions. The ancestral connection and training traceable to the times before the Princesses, Equestria, and even the old Kingdoms, to when Pegasi lived like flocks of birds, hiding among the clouds in insular herds. The truth was, and every pegasus in Ponyville knew it, Rainbow Dash would never be a Wonderbolt because she was born to the wrong Legion. As Fluttershy was a Mind Shatterer, Rainbow Dash was a Stormbreaker.

"You can choose your friends, but not your Legion," Rainbow murmured still looking at Fluttershy, the gentle yellow and pink pony dabbing at Rarity's brow with a wet cloth.

Then there were the Legionless.

Legionless, the term was a borderline insult among Pegasi foals that had earned their cutie marks and started their induction into their Legion. Pegasi born to non-Pegasi parents, a growing occurrence, or those in foster care or orphanages, often didn't receive the training or induction. Sadly, Legionless were marked in ways that the other two races couldn't see. The training young pegasi received left little imprints on their natural magic fields that were impossible to hide, or replicate. All another pegasus had to do was shake a Legionless Pegasus' hoof and they knew that she or he had no Legion, no connection to the long history of the Pegasi, an outsider.

"Are you okay, Dashie?" Pinky asked snapping Rainbow out of her gloomy thoughts.

"Huh? Uh, yeah, I'm just super Pinky. Why?"

"Well, you had that gloomy-gussy glower growing that you get sometimes when you think nopony is looking."

"Oh, yeah. It's just, I was at Cloudsdale when all this," Rainbow waved a hoof to encompass the hospital, "happened. I hate not having been here to help."

It was a half truth. She had been in Cloudsdale, and she did hate not having been around to help when three of her best friends were hurt.

"So, what do you think of Princess Cadence?" Rainbow asked in a hushed whisper that neither stallion near 'Twilight' would hear.

"She nice!" Pinky said with a smile. "I can't wait to throw her a big 'Welcome to Ponyville' party. There are soooo many new ponies in town to throw parties for! I don't know where I am going to get all the balloons!"

Rolling her eyes as Pinky began one of her legendary tangents, Rainbow turned towards Fluttershy and Rarity.

"How is she, 'Shy?"

"Sleeping still." Fluttershy peered at the machines hooked into one of Rarity's fore-legs. Rainbow was fairly certain that Fluttershy knew how to read all the medical mumbo-jumbo printed on the screens. "Her pulse was growing fainter, but it seems to have leveled out."

"She's lucky to be alive at all after giving herself over to an Elemental," scoffed Jasmine. Every pony present looked at her with curious gazes, waiting for her to continue, as the real Twilight would. Sighing in exasperation at being the center of attention, Jasmine continued. "Okay, I already know none of you know a scrap about the undead, so I'll try to give you the layman's version."

Before Jasmine could continue, Applejack leaned in towards Pinky and Rainbow, whispering, "What the hay is a 'layman'?"

Either ignoring or not hearing the question, Jasmine continued.

"There are two kinds of Undead; Wights and Spirits. Wights, they have physical bodies that are twisted by the manner of their death, or some base emotion tying them to the mortal plane. You have Barrow Wights, Vulkir, Khorgal, Vampyr, Skeletons, Ghouls, Ghasts, and on and on. Their power ranges, but all of them are nasty and hate living things. My personal favourite are the Chained Wraiths because they are in a murky grey zone between the two type of Undead."

"Then you have the Spirits. Unlike the Wights that have a huge variety of types, strengths, and abilities, Spirits are all very similar. They have no physical form, instead being a collection of aether being bent to the will of the soul of someone who died. Spirits are also, as a rule of thumb, nicer and more manageable than the Wights, though there are exceptions," Jasmine's voice fell into a low growl as she looked over towards Rarity.

"Spirits are categorised more based on what they do, rather than what they are. An Elemental, for instance, collects the energy from other souls that die around the spirit. They also have a tendency to refer to themselves based on how powerful they are to the other Elementals. So, the spirit that Rarity here encountered was the fifth most powerful of the Elementals."

"You mean there are four more out there that are stronger?" asked Shining Armour, his face visibly darkening as his gaze bored into Jasmine.

"Well, Yes. But there are other spirits that make Elementals look like toddlers. The Dead Masters, for instance." Jasmine shuddered, giving her shoulders a little shake.

Rainbow frowned. All this talk of spirits and dead things was kind of cool, in a creepy sort of way, but it didn't seem to be of much use.

"Actually, I am surprised that Rarity hasn't woken up yet," Jasmine tapped a hoof to her chin, staring across the collection of ponies to the fashionista. "From what was said, she was awake briefly after returning through the Door. If the spirit left her then... Hmm..."

"Whoa there, sugarcube!" Applejack said as Jasmine tossed aside her covers and swung her legs down to the floor.

"Hey, I'm fine. I'm not sure why I'm being kept in this place, again." Jasmine snorted, while the others all shared concerned looks. None of them knew how to tell her it was because she claimed to not be Twilight that she was being kept under observation. "I just want to check something quickly."

Ignoring the growing protests, and stepping around Shining Armour when he interposed himself between Rarity and herself, Jasmine gave the sleeping unicorn a long contemplative look. She poked Rarity a couple times, said her name, and then Jasmine's horn began to glow. Rainbow began to shout a question, her hackles raising as she watched the stranger in a friend's body send a little stream of magic towards Rarity.

The heart monitor began to scream in protest, the racket making conversation or questions impossible. Fluttershy yelped, falling out of her chair when Sweetie Belle leapt into the air, then crashed into the yellow pegasus' lap. Rainbow and Applejack both jumped towards Jasmine. The door to the room was flung open, the two guards leaping through, a pair of nurses right behind. Shining Armour and Blueblood, the two stallions being closer than Rainbow or Applejack, tackled Jasmine, forcing her to the floor.

"What's going on?" Shouted the guards while the nurses, rushing towards Rarity, yelled, "Everypony out, now!"

The force of the command normally would have cleared the room in a second, now it slammed like a wave into a cliff of rocks. Rainbow and Applejack did step back towards Pinky's bed, while the stallions dragged Jasmine to another corner of the room. At a wave of Shining Armour's hoof, the two guards did back out of the room.

"She's flat lining!" The first nurse shouted, along with a request for some drug or something that Rainbow couldn't understand.

"Come on, Rarity," Rainbow muttered to herself, chewing on her lower lip, as the doctor and another nurse rushed into the room.

"Give her a dose of epinephrine!"

"No effect."

"Alright, we're going to try to-"

It was then three things happened all at once. The door to the room was thrown open again, Celestia herself entering at, while not exactly a mad dash, an accelerated pace, a look of grim determination on her face. Around Rarity an aura of black magic thrust back the doctor and nurses, all three medical ponies landing in a jumble at the base of the wall while sparks shot from the medical equipment before the machines died. Sitting upright, eyes glowing red through closed lids, Rarity began to speak.

"Daddy, please! You're scaring me!" Rarity moaned holding her hooves out in front like she was warding off another pony.

Unsure what was happening, magic was a bit beyond her expertise, Rainbow tried to jump towards Rarity to comfort her. The moment she entered the magical field surrounding Rarity, Rainbow's skin began to crawl like a million ants were in her coat. The aura oozed wrongness unlike anything Rainbow had felt. Just before she reached Rarity, the aura pushed back, tossing Rainbow into the pile of medical ponies and making her head spin and her stomach twist like she was pulling out of a dive.

"Every pony stand back!" Celestia commanded, her voice carrying all the weight of authority a millennia on the throne could give.

"I never Daddy, I swear! It's lies, all lies!"

Applejack began to ask what was happening, but was prevented when Rarity let out a long scream, followed by a second louder one. One of Rarity's hooves went to her forehead, the screams ceasing for a moment.

"What's happening to her?" Applejack finally asked as Rainbow and the medical staff pulled themselves upright.

"I think she is experiencing-"

Celestia stopped speaking as Rarity fell from her bed. Everypony stood stock still, watching with bated breath as Rarity lay on the cold tile floor. Her breath was slow and ragged, and twice she tried to cough up something. After half a minute Rarity slowly climbed to her feet. She looked down at something, and then turned, tilting her head to one side like she was trying to listen to something. Still shrouded in the black aura Rarity walked out of the room. She looked right, towards the outside where the Sun had began to move once more, and then headed to the left.

Trailing behind Celestia and Applejack, Rainbow and everypony else followed fashionista. Rarity seemed to know exactly where she was going, taking turns left and right, then descending a curved set of stairs into the basement. Cadence and the royal guards joined the procession as Rarity passed. Rainbow and several other ponies shivered, both from the cold, and the realization of where they were going. Passing a magically operated elevator, Rarity pushed her way through a set of swinging doors and into Ponyville's morgue.

Stopping in front of a gurney, one holding a pony hidden beneath a green blanket, Rarity sat down. She sat there for several seconds, long enough for a murmur of worry to ripple through the crowd that had followed her, before Rarity let out a low moan, her body going rigid. The aura flared, the tips of its magic caressing the ceiling, then as quickly as it had appeared, it vanished.

Collapsing backwards Rarity said, "Brother? But Father killed you..."

Eyes thrusting open, Rarity sat back up again, groaning as she gingerly rubbed her head.

"Ugh, what a dream," she said, slowly turning to face the crowd.

Everypony stood slightly taller as they got a good look at Rarity. Where her eyes had once been two beautiful orbs matching the blue Diamonds adorning her flank, they had become two deep pits of velvety crimson. Mouth falling open Rainbow stood rooted to the spot for half a second before rocketing forward. Landing in front of Rarity, Rainbow swept her friend into a hug and did something she had done only once before; she cried.

"Really, Rainbow darling, there is no need for such melodramatics," Rarity cooed, a hoof tapping Rainbow on the shoulder. "I'd really appreciate some pony telling me what is going on. Also, where are we?"

"We're in the morgue. You lead us down here, apparently sleep-walking." Celestia said in her calming voice.

"The morgue?" Rarity gasped, face growing pale beneath her snow-white coat.

An awkward silence gripped the crowd, a pony in the back coughing. Sweetie Belle took a few steps forward, hesitated, and when she received a little nod from Celestia, leapt forward to join Rainbow in hugging Rarity.

"You alright there, sugarcube?" Applejack asked as she and the other Elements of Harmony trotted toward the growing group-hug.

"Fine, great actually. I feel like I just spent a week at the spa," Rarity smiled, then she tilted her head a little a confused look clouding her face. "A little confused as to what I am doing down here, but otherwise, I'm perfect darling. Though I would appreciate some space."

Wiping away the remaining tears Rainbow nodded. She tried to put on a brave face as she stepped back, but knew that her coolness factor had dropped by at least thirty percent from the emotional display. Thank Celestia that Scootaloo hadn't been around to see it. Having her biggest fan see her so sappy would have been even more humiliating.

With Sweetie Belle pressed to her side, Rarity and the crowd of ponies made their way out of the morgue and towards the sun. Along the way Rarity began to apologise over and over for attacking Celestia. Rainbow tuned out the low conversation that developed. Smarter ponies than her would figure out what was going on. For now, she wanted to get home now that all her friends had relatively recovered. Sure, Twilight wasn't Twilight, and Rarity had those weird freaky red eyes, but there was nothing Rainbow could do about either of those.

As they crowd reached the lobby, Celestia pulled Jasmine and Rarity aside, and with Cadence and Shining Armour went into a room. Rainbow assumed they'd be discussing important affairs of the crown and took it as her queue to go home. Besides, visiting hours were over and the doctors insisted that Pinky get some rest. With Applejack and Fluttershy on either side, Rainbow left the hospital and stepped into a crisp moonless night.