• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 17,722 Views, 492 Comments

Friendship is Optimal: All the Myriad Worlds - Eakin



A series of brief character studies by proxy

  • ...
23
 492
 17,722

Shard #9582 (The Mountains)

SHARD #9582

It was a perfect world.

It was also a very cold world, reflected the pony who was forcing himself through the driving winds towards the little log cabin that was his oasis of light and warmth. But then again, he wouldn’t have it any other way.

He reached the front door of his home, and salvation. The supplies he’d been dragging through the deep snow by sled had taken more out of him than he cared to admit, but they were necessary for the final assault he’d be making on the summit in a few hours. He unloaded his groceries and staggered up to the door, pressing his weight into it to force it open.

The hungry wolf on the other side was alerted the instant it cracked open, and leapt upon him. He giggled under the assault of its tongue, pushing it away and scolding it. Rex always had been a bit overeager. The pup he’d raised into a loyal companion had turned three a few centuries ago, and then stopped growing. There was no need to celebrate birthdays for either himself or the pup; nor did they have the luxury of the sorts of supplies it would take to bake cakes for them. His life was cold, lonely, and unforgiving of such extravagances.

He rested, briefly, in the little wicker chair that he’d woven together from frozen strips of bark peeled off the trees around them. It, like everything else in the cabin, was disposable. Transitory. He would trade it away with the ponies from the nearby village for more supplies, and in a few weeks the cabin would either find a new occupant or it would be abandoned to the wilds. It had taken him six months of hard work to build, and it would take him just as long to build the next one. In the meantime, he would bed down in snowdrifts and under ledges, wrapped up in furs and blankets against the awful, biting cold. He could sleep for nearly an hour like that before the first hints of hypothermia began to creep up on him, and it would be time to warm himself up again through work.

He took stock of his situation, and heated a can full of baked beans over the fire. Rex waited patiently at his side, staring into the crackling flames as the can glowed orange, sucking up the fire’s life-giving warmth as best it could and turning its contents into a tasty meal. He pulled the can off the heat and peeled the soft metal away, dumping half the contents into Rex’s bowl and the other half onto his own plate. Rex poked his nose into the pile of beans and yelped, rearing back and rubbing the burning-hot syrup from his nose with a paw, then a moment later licking it off himself. The pony watched this whole display and chuckled, giving Rex a friendly pat on the back while he waited for his own meal to cool. Once he was confident that he wouldn’t burn himself, he hungrily scarfed it down. He would need his strength for what was to come.

He sat in front of the fire, dozing with Rex by his side. Sleep was one of the few weaknesses he allowed himself to indulge in. He would need all his strength for the final assault later that day. The cabin was bare except for the chair and the small throw rug he rested on now. Everything else had been bartered away. When he’d last come across a village, he’d traded away the rest of his wares for food, clothing, and other necessary supplies. He nearly hadn’t had enough to acquire everything he’d needed, but the shopkeeper had been kindly, and willing to let him make up the difference by telling him a story.

He had many stories. Or perhaps he only had a single one, and just found many different ways to tell it. Had he not been able to convince the shopkeeper to change his mind, well, it would have been unfortunate. Either way he’d have endured. There was nothing he wouldn’t endure.

Rex barked, and the pony realized that the winds outside had slowed to a dull howl. This was as good as it would get, and it was time to strike. He bundled himself up in his warmest clothing and whistled for Rex to follow him, which he did bounding through the deep snow outside as the pony shut the door behind him. Putting one hoof in front of the other, the pony made the final approach towards the slope before him. The cold bit into him through all three layers of furs, and each step was a bit harder than the one before as the mountain grew steeper. Before long they couldn’t even be considered steps at all; the pony pulled himself up the sheer cliff wall from hoofhold to hoofhold, while Rex barked and circled below unable to follow. He would be there when the pony returned.

For a full night and a full day the pony pulled himself upwards, inch by inch. The winds beat at him and screamed, urging him to turn back. He paid them no heed. Icicles hung from his chin and his teeth chattered defiantly as he pressed ahead. He clung tightly to every slick crevice and crack, forcing himself onward even as his muscles cried out for mercy in the thin air. He climbed through the fog and clouds that blocked out his vision as thoroughly as the darkness of night. Up here was the realm of the pegasi, and the sleet battered at the earth pony intruder who dared to defy the order of the world. Another grip won him a few more inches. And then, just like that, there was no more wall to climb.

The pony hoisted his body up onto the ground of the mountain’s summit. Up here, the winds were calm, though he still heard them down below within the clouds he’d passed through during his ascent. They howled at him, impotent to harm him any further as even they dared not rise to such heights. He took a breath of the crisp, refreshing summit air and looked out at the world beneath him.

The only thing that could be seen was an ocean of white, smothering the world and the ponies of the below who would never reach such places. Who dared not leave their comfort and shelter and weakness to achieve what he could. He was, in every sense, above them all.

He turned around and stared far off into the distance. There was one feature, far off in the distance, and seeing it made him grin even though he’d known it would be there.

There, weeks and weeks away from where he stood now, was another, taller mountain.

It was a perfect world.