• Published 2nd Mar 2012
  • 15,482 Views, 751 Comments

Changes - Fresh Blood



What's more important? Friendship, Celebrity status, or the trust of somepony who gives it to you?

  • ...
24
 751
 15,482

Chapter 14

Each of the three subspecies of Ponies had their capitals. The Unicorns had Canterlot, the Earth Ponies had Manehatten. The Pegasus had Cloudsdale. The cloud city was separate from the other two, however, as only Pegasus could actually live there, the plush clouds and altitudes only accessible by flight unless powerful, uncommon magic was used.

Because of the inaccessibility, other cloud cities made an effort to benefit from the contributions of the other ponies. They lowered the altitude of their cities, bringing the clouds closer to the ground and interacting with the ground bound ponies of Equestria. Fresh produce and intricate works of art and music were sought after by the Pegasus ponies over the years and the cities became multicultural which soon flourished. Perhaps the most famous of these cities was Las Pegasus.

The Pegasus that lived there mixed their cloud structures with the stone and brickwork of the other ponies and the city grew larger over time. It was a remarkable feat of engineering to have solid flooring throughout the majority of the city’s buildings and walkways. Grand staircases rose to upper layers, allowing earth ponies and unicorns alike the opportunity to access almost every part of the cloud city. In fact, the only areas that were restricted to Pegasus were areas of office such as the Mayor’s personal offices and historical heritage sights.

Tourism and entertainment quickly became one of the bigger attractions, with ponies looking for escapism and fun. With entertainment becoming a much larger industry, theatres, music halls, vast shopping malls, bars and high dining restaurants all sprung up, taking advantage of the extra economy. Grand Casinos rose from every layer of the city and boosted economy and tourism further.

Any pony who wanted to make a name for themselves in the entertainment industry had spent time in Las Pegasus at some point or another, and Vinyl was no exception.

As she swapped a record on her turntable she remembered when she first began touring the numerous clubs and outdoor concert halls that she had performed in. Las Pegasus had been one of her first. Although accustomed to the night life in Ponyville, however small it may have been, and the night life in Manehatten, she could never have been fully prepared for what awaited her in the cloud city.

For one, nowhere seemed to close. It seemed that Opal found the best way to teach Vinyl that was to book her at multiple venues, each one after the other. The DJ had never been so tired in her life once she had finished and could have a couple of days to herself in the hotel room. Opal called it a reward for her hard work, to allow her to see the sights of the city and maybe gamble a bit of her earnings, but all Vinyl did was sleep, too exhausted to do much of anything else.

Not that that was a bad thing, of course. Even as she banged her head to the beats coming out of the speakers on either side of her, a huge grin plastered onto her face as she pumped her hoof into the air towards the screaming masses, all she could think about was lying her head on the soft pegasus-down pillows in her hotel room. Her muscles ached thanks to the time in the gym Opal had assigned her and she wasn’t really in the mood to be putting on a performance. Even the place she was performing couldn’t invigorate her mind enough to make her want to enjoy herself enough to stay out and enjoy the city.

The venue was outdoors, the biggest amphitheatre the city had to offer. There was a large space in the middle where hundreds of ponies were dancing and throwing their bodies around and above that were compact tiles of cloud; smaller dance floors for the majority of the pegasus that didn’t want to tire themselves out by dancing in the air. Vinyl had always wondered what it would be like to have wings, to be able to lord over the ground-bound ponies and dance the night away with death-defying aerial manoeuvres. She quickly put those thoughts to one side, coming to terms with the fact she’d probably get carried away and crash into an amp.

She lit up her horn once more as the track she was playing began to end and she quickly transitioned into the final song of the evening. Although she was tired, she considered herself a professional and prided herself on giving top notch entertainment whenever she could. And so, with a grin, she turned a few dials and flicked a few switches on her turntables and began to play her remix of Sapphire Shore’s new single.

The ponies went wild as the recognisable intro was warped and distorted by Vinyl’s tampering and everypony began to dance regardless of their location. The lights that Vinyl had rigged up to the six towers that circled the amphitheatre flashed a multitude of different colours, lighting up the dance floors and revealing each of the ponies in clear detail.

This is what she loved, the excitement and the thrill of ponies reaching the point of near mania. She knew she was a bit of a show off, Lyra had been sure to tell her that as she was growing up. She remembered during a hearth warming pageant at her school in Ponyville when Lyra had been given the role of Clover the Clever. Vinyl had been hoping for Princess Platinum but missed out. Instead of taking the loss well she decided to try to upstage the ‘Princess’, standing in front of her and getting in the way. The audience thought it funny, the teacher, not so much.

She laughed at that thought even as her left hoof came down on the button beside her turntables. Almost instantly a series of loud booms echoed through the arena as fireworks and lasers shot out into the sky. The audience roared with shouts and whistles, all looking up to watch the display in the sky. The lasers bounced off the smoke trailed behind by the fireworks and the colourful explosions in the air made sure everything was lit wherever the roaming lights in the towers weren’t facing.

“Yeah, definitely a show off,” the DJ muttered to herself with a half genuine smile, watching as the sparklers on either side of her decks blew forth a shower of white and blue sparks. Once the track was done, and the last of the fireworks had let themselves off in sync with the last beats from the speakers, Vinyl closed down the show, thanking everypony for coming and promising them that Las Pegasus was her favourite city to perform in, just like every other city.

She stepped back from her turntables, making her way through the thin veil of fog that had been billowing on to the stage and disappeared behind the screens that had been constructed to separate the unsightly view of the technical equipment that had been set up. A chorus of praise assaulted her as she walked, the usual technicians she worked with nodding their heads and smiling at her.

Vinyl did her best to return them, giving her own praise on the lighting and sound systems but all she really wanted to do was call it a night and head off back to her hotel before Opal could sink her teeth into her and march her to a press interview that she no doubt had organised.

“DJ Pon3! Over here! Can you sign my autograph book?!” A series of shouts reached her ears as she turned a corner towards the stage exits to the back of the amphitheatre, stopping her In her tracks. She looked to her left to see a group of ponies being held back by security, all with eager faces and trying to push their way through. None of them looked threatening but Vinyl knew how crazy some of her fans could be. She distinctly remembered one such fan that gave her a hug... and stole half her mane in the process with the scissors he’d been hiding.

She shook the memory away, thankful that she had time to grow her mane back before her next appearance, then waved at the ponies before continuing.

“Hey, get back here!” A gruff voice shouted out and Vinyl looked back to see a pegasus mare zooming towards her, smiling widely.

“Not my mane!” Vinyl called out, eyes wide before curling up into a ball on the floor, hooves covering her head. She then realised how uncool that might have looked and brought her head back up to watch the mare get tackled by two other security members.

“Ouch, my wings,” she cried as she was quite forcefully restrained, the two stallions pinning her to the floor before attempting to lift her and carry her away. “Let go, you’re hurting me!” she cried again, tears beginning to form in the corners of her eyes.

“Oh, geeze,” Vinyl muttered, rubbing the end of her snout with a hoof before putting it up in front of her. “Hang on, guys, let her go.” The security guards stopped, but didn’t let the mare go, who continued to struggle against their grip; she did pause to look at Vinyl for a moment once she spoke, however.

“Miss Scratch?”

“I can’t stand to see a mare cry, just let her go. I can handle one fan, and she did try so hard to get through. Might as well reward perseverance, right?”

“If you insist.” The two guards put the pegasus down, who proceeded to sit on her flank, staring in mild confusion and awe at Vinyl as the stallions left back to their previous positions.

Vinyl met the Pegasus’ gaze, unsure on whether she was being particularly wise in letting her go. She had a stark white coat, a picture frame cutie mark adorning her flanks. As she rose to her feet her long, curly mane bounced in place, the powder blue locks framing her face quite well and reaching down to her knees. All in all, she was pretty attractive, young, curves in all the right places, a nice even coat, well groomed. When enough silent staring had passed to consider it awkward, Vinyl spoke. “Er... hi-”

“Oh my gosh, DJ Pon3!” The pegasus cried, lunging forwards to wrap her forelegs around Vinyl’s neck and bring her into a near bone crushing hug. “You saved me, thank you!”

Momentarily surprised by the sudden hug attack, the DJ instinctively returned the hug, squeezing gently as was expected with an embrace. She noted the subtle smell of juniper wafting from the mare’s mane and had to stop herself from prolonging the contact to take in more of it, instead pushing back on the mare’s shoulders with her hooves.

“No problem,” Vinyl answered when she could finally meet the mare’s grinning face once more, eyes locking on to her matching blue eyes. “And Vinyl will do, DJ Pon3 is just a stage name.”

“Oh, ok... Vinyl,” the mare replied with a little giggle, a slight blush upon her face that the unicorn put down to being so close to the mare’s apparent idol.

“Riiight... so, you wanted an autograph or something?” Vinyl then continued, hoping to move it along and placate the fan.

“Nope,” the pegasus replied with the same star struck expression, her local. “Well, yes, obviously I’d love one. But really I just wanted to say ‘Hi’.”

“You... wanted to say Hi?”

“Oh yes,” she replied, nodding enthusiastically. “I’m like, probably your biggest fan. I’ve bought all your records and merchandise, posters, sweaters, notebooks... um...socks... But this is the first time I’ve been able to save enough money to come and see you in person. And when I do get enough to get a ticket you come to my home city! I just couldn’t believe my luck so I just had to come and finally meet you in person.”

Vinyl only blinked in response, her face perfectly straight. She figured she could get some fun out of her for a little while, especially with the way she had stumbled a little in her sentence. She enjoyed listening to her accent at least. “You bought my socks?” she eventually asked, seemingly disregarding everything else the pegasus has said.

“Well... er... yes,” the mare blushed, unaware of Vinyl’s penchant for teasing. “They actually match my coat really well...” She then went quiet again, now not wanting to look at Vinyl through embarrassment. The DJ could only leave her like that for so long before she gave a little chuckle and gave her a gentle nudge with her hoof.

“I’m only playing with you, don’t sweat it,” she grinned, giving the mare a wink which quickly brought her round again. “I tease a lot, you’ll get used to it. But first of all, what’s your name?”

“Flitter Flash,” she quickly replied, standing up off her haunches to show off her cutie mark. “I make picture frames with my dad in the city. We come from a long line of weather officers but I guess we just took a different direction to the rest of the family.”

“That’s pretty cool,” Vinyl said as she turned to carry on to the exit doors. She looked over her shoulder when she saw Flitter wasn’t following and motioned with her head. “Well, aren’t you coming with me?”

That was all the invitation Flitter Flash needed to quickly flutter to Vinyl’s side, keeping herself in the air as she kept pace. “You bet... but, where are we going?” the pegasus asked as the two approached the door, a member of the security team opening it for them.

“You’ve just won a few hours with DJ Pon3,” she replied with a smirk, standing by the door and motioning for Flitter to go through. “Wherever you want to go, a restaurant would be nice though, I’m not looking forwards to the salad that Opal’s probably got prepared for me back at the hotel.”

--

It was several hours later that Vinyl finally made it back to her hotel room. She had no clue what time it was, she just knew it was late. She’d had a good time, forgotten about life as a showbiz pony and managed to have pleasant conversation with Flitter Flash, who was cautiously entering the room behind the DJ.

“Are you sure it’s alright for me to come in here...” she asked, looking left and right as if somepony was going to jump out at her. “I don’t want to get in trouble.”

“Of course it’s alright. It’s MY room, isn’t it?” Vinyl retorted with a light chuckle, her magic flinging her glasses on to the couch which she then promptly collapsed on to. “You’re far too nervous about meeting famous ponies, Flits. I’ve already told you that we’re no different to you. If you got your picture frames endorsed by the royal palace for example, you’d be famous too. It’s really not all that special.”

“But it’s so glamorous!” Flitter almost shouted, her nervous expression quickly vanishing at the nickname that Vinyl had given her. She closed the door to the room behind her and hovered over to the couch, remaining in place in the air as she gesticulated with her hooves. “You get to see all the sights, meet all the famous ponies, buy lots of different clothes...”

Vinyl laughed. “You know, you remind me of a friend of mine. She’s under the impression that the high life is everything that people dream it would be too. But it’s really not all that it’s made out to be. Trust me, there’s times I wish I could trade it all in.”

“Really?”

The DJ nodded, watching as Flitter remained in the air, her wings beating slowly and steadily, just enough to keep her afloat above the carpeted flooring. “It gets pretty tiring, you have to put on a facade whenever you’re near anypony with a camera and Celestia forbid you offend someone. On top of all that I have to keep watching what I eat because now that I’m constantly mobile and have bits coming out of my ears, I can afford all the tastiest but unhealthiest foods I can think of. Never had that problem before I was famous...”

“But the good things must outweigh the bad, right? Otherwise why would you keep doing it?”

“I suppose you’re right. And I do get to meet some interesting ponies,” Vinyl mused, half listening, half thinking. She barely registered the change in weight on the couch as Flitter landed, and only came out of her pondering when she felt the brush of a wing against her side. “Finally tired out enough to sit down, huh?” She asked, giving the pegasus a wink.

“Well, I’m not that tired,” Flitter responded. It was then that Vinyl noticed the mare was sitting rather close to her on the couch, almost upon the same cushion. She looked more carefully at her face, noting the subtle smile upon her lips, the sultry, half lidded eyes that she mistook for tiredness most of the night, and the way her wings struggled to stay by her side without twitching for more than a few seconds.

“Oh... well... that’s good then,” Vinyl stuttered out, which only served to make Flitter giggle. Vinyl was usually used to the advances from both mares and stallions. She was a pony of the world and as long as both parties weren’t looking for anything exclusive, she could usually go along with it. She was never nervous, usually being the pony to make the first move. But, being alone with somepony who she thought was just an overzealous fan made her a little more cautious.

“I think you don’t have to worry about things as much as you do, Vinyl,” Flitter spoke, staying where she was but never breaking eye contact with the DJ. “I mean, you look great, if you don’t mind me saying so, so food shouldn’t be too much of a problem. And you get paid so much money to pretend to like other ponies that you don’t really like. All that means is that the ones you do like, should feel all the more honoured for it. I’m sure you have friends, right?”

“Well, yeah, I have a few...” the unicorn muttered in reply, thoughts flashing back to Lyra and Bon-Bon, then to Octavia. The cellist was who had made her talk to Flitter in the first place, in the hopes of making yet another ‘normal’ friend. And here she was... inching her hoof towards Vinyl’s shoulder.

“Can I... um... I mean would you be offended if... wait, what I mean to say is...” Flitter’s face did little to conceal the blush spreading over her snout, the confidence from a few moments ago quickly vanishing. “Can I kiss you?” She finally got out, almost catching the unicorn by surprise.

“Well... I have to say I’ve never actually been asked if it was ok for somepony to kiss me before.” Vinyl replied with a light chuckle, which made Flitter’s ears prick up.

“You mean I could just do it?” She asked, leaning forwards.

Vinyl put up a hoof to stop Flitter from actually making contact, which made her ears go straight back down against her head. “Most ponies do just do it, yes... but I appreciate the gesture.” She paused, nervously chewing on her bottom lip as she considered her options, something she hadn’t done since she was a filly.

“Look, Flits, you’re definitely attractive, gorgeous even.” She began, which made the blush on Flitter’s face almost permanent as she erupted into a bashful smile. “But if you’re as big a fan as you say you are you must know I have a... reputation. I don’t want anypony to think I’m taking advantage of you...”

“You aren’t,” was all the pegasus replied with before she leant forwards and pressed her lips to Vinyl’s. They stayed like that for a few moments, Flitter awkwardly positioned as she tried to get comfortable on the couch despite her now extended wings, and Vinyl trying to lean forwards into the kiss.

It was obvious Flitter was inexperienced, she wasn’t a fantastic kisser, nor did she seem like she was confident enough to take charge, though Vinyl respected the fact that she was definitely trying. The unicorn was thankful that she stayed away from drinking whilst they were out; the taste of alcohol on a pony wasn’t the best when kissing for the first time.

When Flitter finally ran out of breath and with a gentle push from Vinyl, they broke apart. They sat in silence for a moment, the pegasus leaning somewhat against Vinyl with an awkward expression on her face. “I’m... not very good, am I?” She asked, ears firmly plastered against her head as she looked down and to the side.

“You’re fine,” Vinyl was quick to respond, knowing full well that hesitation at such crucial points was a sure fire way to break a pony’s confidence. She brought her hoof to Flitter’s chin and lifted it up so she could look her in the eyes. “Personally I think it’s the couch’s fault. It’s hard to get into that sort of mood when we’re stuck for space.”

With that, she pushed Flitter Flash off of her and got to her hooves before sauntering away to the bed, looking over her shoulder to watch the other mare as she peered over the back of the couch. The DJ grinned, her eyes half lidded as she took a leaf out of Lyra’s book and sat on the edge of the bed, knowing full well what a pegasus would likely do next. “Now, are you sure you want to go through with this? Or do you really want ‘DJ Pon3’ to show you a few moves?”

As expected, Flitter shot over the couch, a good few wing beats propelling her towards the unicorn where she crashed into her, knocking her onto her back onto the bed and once more locking their lips together on top of her.

--

The sunlight flittering through the open curtains eventually crept its way up the sheets and into Vinyl’s eyes. The dozing unicorn scrunched up her face as she was bombarded by the relentless sunbeams and with a soft grunt of annoyance she lit up her horn and pulled the curtains to, darkening the room once more. “I really need to remember to start closing curtains,” she grumbled to herself before sinking further into her sheets, content to lie in the warmth for a while.

The soft scent of juniper filtered to her nose once more, and after inhaling deeply, she noticed that her sheets were a little warmer than usual. She could feel the rising and falling of a chest against her back, and the sensation of warm air being exhaled against the back of her head. Running a hoof down her front confirmed two wings wrapped snugly around her midriff and the squeeze of a pony’s hooves around her belly confirmed that Flitter was still in bed with her.

Not that she minded. She had always enjoyed waking up with somepony in her bed, sharing the warmth and of course the cuddles. She never admitted it to anypony but she loved getting a good cuddle. She lay motionless for quite some time, almost drifting off back to sleep in Flitter’s embrace before the door to the hotel room was unlocked and flung open.

Vinyl didn’t even bother getting up. She knew who it was.

“You really must stop disappearing, Vinyl,” the steady voice of Opal invaded her ears, making Vinyl roll her eyes and pull the covers further up her head. “The press is going to get the impression you’re ignoring them and that’s only going to make them all the more bothersome.” The curtains were flung open once more with the tan aura of Opal’s magic, much to Vinyl’s displeasure.

The commotion in the room stirred the pegasus in the bed, and with a yawn, which Vinyl found unbearably cute, she slowly woke up. Remembering where she was, and noticing Vinyl still in her grip she let out a little squee before giving her an affectionate nuzzle. “Good morning, Vinyl.”

“Yes. Good morning, Vinyl,” came Opal’s voice, much louder than before and Flitter jumped from her position, sitting bolt upright in the bed. Vinyl groaned at the loss of warmth.

“Who are you?” she squeaked, feeling somewhat self conscious of being caught in bed with somepony.

“Vinyl’s mother,” Opal replied, her face still in its ever calm visage. Flitter’s mouth dropped, staring back at Opal as she sat at the foot of the bed. She then glanced back at Vinyl who still hadn’t lifted her head from her pillow.

“She’s not my mother,” Vinyl muttered, eyes still closed and a grimace on her face, “she just likes to think she is.”

“Well somepony has to look after you, Vinyl, otherwise you end up doing things like,” she gestured her hoof towards the bed, “this.”

Vinyl felt Flitter slump somewhat from her upright position, and after opening an eye saw her with her ears laid flat again, obviously taking Opal’s words to heart. Vinyl finally shot up, glaring daggers at the other unicorn in the room. “Opal, what in Tarturus do you want? You said I could have the morning off. You’ve worked me to the bone these past few days and I’d really like to get some more sleep with Flitter here so if it’s not important can you kindly buck off?”

The three fell silent, Vinyl glaring at Opal, Opal returning her gaze without so much as a flinch, and Flitter with another awestruck look in her eyes as she looked at Vinyl. “Well,” Opal began, her horn lighting up to retrieve a magazine from her bag on her side. “I thought you may want to have a read of this and give me your thoughts on the matter. Then I’ll leave you two alone.”

The magazine waved itself in front of Vinyl’s nose, whereupon the DJ snatched it out of the air with her teeth. Giving a final sneer at Opal, she dropped it onto the bed and turned a few pages with her magic. When she found the right page, and she knew it was definitely the right page, her jaw dropped.

Flitter leaned against her shoulder as she tried to read along, but Vinyl was reading with a much quicker sense of urgency as she became more engrossed in the article, turning the pages before Flitter could reach the end of hers. Opal moved to the window, looking down at the streets at the various press ponies and the poor disguises they were using to conceal themselves.

“Who’s Octavia?”

Vinyl finally looked up to from the magazine and turned to face Flitter. The pegasus looked down at the pictures in the magazine, a wing flipping the pages every so often to look at the rest before she looked back up to wait for Vinyl’s response.

“She’s... er... she’s a friend,” Vinyl replied, casting a quick, hate filled look towards Opal before looking back at Flitter. “Met her in Canterlot at the music convention. We just went out for drinks afterwards and I crashed at her place, no big deal.”

“But the magazine says-” the pegasus began before she was interrupted.

“Wrong end of the stick, I promise you. I never did anything with Octavia, we stayed in separate rooms. AND we were far from sober, not like I was last night with you.” She punctuated the last sentence with a kiss to Flitter’s nose, who promptly smiled and wrapped her arms back around Vinyl’s chest, lowering her head against her shoulder.

I hate crying mares... Vinyl thought to herself before looking back up at Opal, who was staring at the scene with barely contained glee. “Get the buck out,” the DJ mouthed, not wanting to let Flitter know there was any more tension in the room than there already was.

“We’re sorting this out tomorrow,” the agent mouthed back before levitating the magazine back to her bag and marching out the door, leaving the two mares in bed.

Once she was gone, Vinyl nudged Flitter to lie back down. She was all too happy to comply and quickly enveloped the unicorn in a full bodied hug again, the DJ lying on her side and staring out the window.

Her mind raced, thoughts of Lyra flailing her alive, and Octavia hitting her over the head with her cello whilst Bon-Bon baked wedding cakes.

Well, I’m bucked...