• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 10,652 Views, 1,738 Comments

Crisis of Infinite Twilights - defender2222



When Twilight Sparkles from alternate dimensions begin popping up in Equestria, it is up to Scootaloo to round them all up and find a way to send them home and retrieve her world's Twilight.

  • ...
35
 1,738
 10,652

The Other Side

"I must say, I find this rather strange," Princess Celestia said, looking over the elegant alicorn that stood before her. When Twilight had ascended and become the newest princess of Equestria, Celestia had been overjoyed at her student's accomplishment. It was a bit strange, of course, and took some getting use to; Celestia had been truthful when she said that Twilight needed to see her now not as a teacher but as a friend, someone to learn from and to reach. They were managing though and figuring out their new relationship.


But while seeing Twilight with wings had taken a bit of getting use to, seeing a version of her faithful student standing before her with the same bearing and regal beauty as her own was mindblowing. Her Twilight had remained basically the same after her transformation (save for three editions: the wings and a little extra organ that made her flatulence smell like roses… being an alicorn rocked) but this one was radically different. Her mane billowed behind her, caught in the mystical ethereal wind that seemed to always catch Celestia’s own. It was the color of the sky at sunset, with purples and blues and a hint of orangish red along the edges. Her crown and royal vestments were also different from what Celestia’s Twilight wore; a brilliant silver, like moonlight captured and shaped, studded with diamond stars and with tiny streaks within the metal like comets.

It was the eyes thought that truly captivated her. When Celestia looked into this Twilight's eyes she saw the same deep, ancient orbs that shone back at her from the mirror's surface. The same joys… the same sorrows. Lifetimes lived and lost and regained again. This Twilight had lived… a very long time.

"I am just as startled," Princess Aurora (as this Twilight had informed the group once she found out what was happening) said, reading the white alicorn’s thoughts as she began to circle around Celestia. "I look at you and comprehend what I am seeing... I understand who you are in this world and that you have gone through all that I have... and yet I also gaze upon you and see my faithful student Sunny Days, so eager to please and to discover new things." Princess Aurora shook her head, looking upon Luna. "And you... to see you as an alicorn as well... try as I might I still think it a mere trick and that at any moment you will return to being Captain Nightdancer, commander of the Royal Guard."

"So if Luna is captain of the guard..." Shining said uneasily.

Princess Aurora sighed. "Indeed, brother. In my world you are Prince Morning Star. Sadly, in my realm you grew jealous that ponies toiled away under your sun and played and relaxed under my night sky. Ponies saw the sun as the awakener, the destroyer of dreams and the signal that work must begin anew. My night was a time of romance and play and sleep. You sought to keep the night away forever... and only recently were you restored by Sunny and her friends Pinkie Pike, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash."

"Pinkie... Pike?" Scootaloo said, raising an eyebrow.

"The most fun-loving capricorn you'll ever meet." Aurora smiled softly as she looked upon Celestia. "Long have I worried about my faithful student... not about her abilities or her accomplishments but how she would cope if I were to leave her. Sunny Days is wary to form bonds of love and friendship but when she does they are rather strong. Seeing you here, so strong and noble, eases my heart."

"And mine as well," Celestia said.

"Before you two kiss..." Discord said, butting in between the two alicorn princesses, "not that I wouldn’t mind that, could we turn our attention back to the matter at hand?"

"You mean the rapid increase in Twilight sightings?" Velvet asked, surprised Discord was taking this all so seriously.

"Oh, no no no. I am more concerned about supper. If we want to beat the rush we'll have to... silly me, I can just bring the restaurant to us!" He snapped his fingers and the Bureau was suddenly filled with tables and waiters. The Twilights that BUTTS had already gathered were seated at tables, looking around in confusion while Discord took out menus, passing one to Fluttershy (whom he’d dressed up in an elegant gown while he wore a snazzy tux) "Now, what looks good..."

"We have more important things to focus on than your stomach," Night Light said.

"Bababa?" Baby Twilight (wearing a little gown as well) said, pointing to her tummy.

"No, not your stomach either. As my wife pointed out, we are seeing a dramatic increase in Twilight appearances. While Twi here," he gestured towards the metallic Twilight and her partner Faith (who was looking at the dessert menu to see if they had any good pie), "doesn't count as she has been in Equestria for several days, Baby Twilight, Dusk, and Princess Aurora all appeared within hours of each other. This means that the rips in time and space are growing more severe."

Spike raised his hand. "I don't mean to poke holes in everything, because Celestia knows-"

"I know what?" the princess asked.

"Oh... uh... its kinda just an expression, princess."

"I know an expression?" Celestia asked, raising an eyebrow. "I can assure you I know more than one, Spike."

"No, I mean... that Celestia knows is an expression."

"Is is an expression?" Luna asked. "An expression of what?"

"No, is is not an expression."

"For goodness sake, Spike, try and make some sense," Faith complained. He leaned towards Twi and whispered, “Our Spike at least makes sense.”

"I... never mind." Spike hung his head and took a calming breath. "I don't mean to poke holes in everything but I thought you said that Twilight had been blown up into bits." Spike glanced over at Night Light and gestured towards Dusk (who was giving his order to a waiter). "But if he's just Twilight but with some junk in the trunk-"

"Could we not word it like that?" Dusk complained.

"-then how could he even be here... shouldn't he have been blown to bits too?"

Night Light's horn glowed and he dragged over a chalkboard, pushing the tables aside to give him plenty of space (and ignoring the complaints from the other Twilights at having their tables scooted closer to each other). Selecting a purple piece of chalk, the unicorn quickly drew a crude rendition of his daughter. "You see, I have been working on a theory to explain that. I believe that both Dusk and Twilight were blown to bits and thus ceased to exist."

"But... I'm here now," Dusk said to Night Light (and boy, was it throwing him off to see what his mother would have looked like as a male).

"Right. But you have to remember that we are dealing not only with space but time. Within this framework it is easy to imagine a scenario where Twilight and Dusk were ripped away from their universes to their gender-crossed universes, only to be returned a fraction of a second before they exploded."

"But shouldn't one of them remember all of this happening?" Celestia asked.

"That's the beauty of all of this! It happened at the same time but they traveled through time before... or after… the event occurred."

"...that doesn't make any sense!" Twi complained.

“Any more than metal winged abstracts suddenly appearing?” Faith asked. When Twi glared at him he shrugged. “What? Even I think our lives are a bit unbelievable. Waiter, is this apple pie made fresh daily?”

Night Light frowned, moving away from the chalkboard and grabbing a plate of jell-o from a nearby table. "You have to remember that time is a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... stuff."

Spike frowned. "Where did you come up with that?"

"From this," Night Light said, holding up the book 'Time Travel for Idiots by The Doctor' (Featuring a Forward by Derpy Hooves!).

Velvet shook her head. "Listen, none of this matters. What matters is rounding up the Twilights and getting my daughter back! We need to be actively hunting them down and bringing them in."

"We've been trying," Scootaloo complained. "But we can only work so hard. We need-"

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Scootaloo grit her teeth while Spike clamped his clawed hands over his ears (or ear holes or... whatever). Discord actually cringed as the loud screeching, scraping sound assaulted his senses and Baby Twilight instantly clicked her hooves and banished her ears away, smiling in delight as the world went silent. Luna and the other Twilights, along with Night Light and Velvet, all shuddered as if in physical pain from the audio assault. Princesses Celestia and Aurora turned, glaring at the intruder who was creating the horrible sound, years of practice letting them not show the pain they felt from the audible strike.

Finally managing to turn around, Scootaloo stared in surprise at the chalkboard Night Light had been using to illustrate his point about Dusk and Twilight. It wasn't the chalkboard that was surprising, of course... it was the being standing at the chalkboard, running his razor-sharp fan tail along its surface. Scootaloo was surprised by how big the intruder was; he was as tall as Celestia and Aurora but built like Big Macintosh, with a thick, muscular chest and powerful legs. His head and forelegs were gray and made him look very much like a short-muzzled goat, but his flank was green and covered in scales. Instead of a normal tail his stretched out, a heavy fin on top and a sharp fan blade at the end.

"So, you have a Twilight problem, do you?" the intruder said, his dark eyes staring at the group. "You all know me. Know how I earn a living. I'll catch this pony for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad pony. Not like going down the pond chasing bluegills and tommycods. This mare, drive you insane. Little shaking, little tenderizing, and down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your Twilight. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bits, agent. I'll find her for three, but I'll catch her, and kill her, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want it done, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be at this the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains in this country. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.” The intruder paused, his glower fading as he looked upon Celestia and Luna. "Hello girls."

"Hello dad!" Luna said with a smile.

"Who is this guy?" Scootaloo whispered.

"He is Lord Tydal," Celestia said, loud enough for everyone to hear. "King of the Mareatine, Master of the Capricorns..."

"Blah blah blah," Tydal said, rolling his eyes. "Celesta, enough of my titles. The only ones I care about are 'husband' and 'father'." He walked over and nuzzled the solar queen. "How are you, sweetie?"

"Flustered, what with all that this happening with Twilight."

"10,000 bits and I take care of it... another 5,000 and I'll skin and cook her for you."

"NO!" Night Light and Velvet screamed.

When Tydal raised an eyebrow in confusion Spike chimed in. "These are Twilight's parents, sir."

"Spike," Tydal said gruffly. "Kill any dogs lately?"

"It wasn't a dog," Luna reminded him. "That was King Sombra."

"His name was Wiggles and I loved him," Tydal said with a sniff, turning his attention to Night Light. "Hmmmm... yes... I sense the same mopey, stick-in-the-flank attitude as Shining... I see the resemblance now. Fine, family discount, I'll do the cooking for free!"

Night Light and Velvet flapped about, arguing that they DIDN’T want the Twilights killed and cooked. Scootaloo meanwhile, obviously never having seen the educational video "Capricorns: The Not-So-Silent Killer", raised her eyebrow and flashed the god of the sea a disbelieving look. "Ok, you look tough... but we are dealing with some seriously dangerous Twilights... do you think-"

Tydal whipped around, his horns glowing as the lights began to flicker on and off around the Bureau. Spike gulped and tried to find a place to hide, only to find that he and Scootaloo were now stuck in the literal spotlight Tydal had summoned to shine down on them.

Tydal

Don't you disrespect me little mare!
Don't you dare insult or deride!
My patience should never be pressed
Cause I've sent plenty to the other side

Celestia, Luna, and Discord (warily singing)

He's sent plenty to the other side....

Tydal (flips Scootaloo and Spike onto his back and begins to walk them deeper into the now shadow-filled BUTTS Great Hall)

Don't think I can do it huh, doubt my credentials? Well, let me clue you in...

(Tydal floats the two to a conference table)

Sit down at this table.
Put your mind at ease
Let your guard down for a second

(Tydal is suddenly in front of them, his tail blade an inch from Scootaloo's throat)

And I'll do as I please

(He pulls away and Scootaloo looks as if she regrets her question)

I can see your future
And it doesn't end well for you
I could end you all and take your souls
You do have a soul, don't you Spike?
And end you clean and true

(Tydal leaps onto the table, taking a regal pose)

I've got my teeth
I've got my tail
And magic I ain't even tried!
And I've sent plenty to the other side...

Celestia, Luna, and Discord (suddenly appearing behind Scootaloo and Spike)

He's sent plenty to the other side...

Tydal (Tapping his chin as he takes a seat in front of the shivering twosome)

Let's see, let's see
How should this go
Before we begin there are things I should know

Let's see, let's see
I got it, friend
I'll look at your past... before we discuss your end...

(Tydal inspects Scootaloo)

Now you, my dear little orange pegasus filly
Are trying to save the newest member of Royalty...
(offhand) Personally I think they had enough but what do I know?
Your task is grand...
But your spirits are low...
Cuss Nightmare's assassins want you to go!

Tydal leaned in, clicking his teeth together. "League of Evil Twilights, huh?"

"Yeah," Scootaloo admitted after a moment. "Goofy name... but dangerous as can be."

"Well, it sure would be nice if you had another ally on your side... someone with experience fighting and waging battles. Of course, if you wanted said being's help, you'd be smart not to insult him..."

"I get it," Scootaloo groaned.

Tydal

Do you, do you
Do you now see?
How you might be needing someone like me...

(Looks over at Spike and snorts)

On you little drake
I'm not going to waste much time
You've been pushed round all your life
You've been bossed round by your Twilight
and Celestia and all the rest...
And should you and Rarity marry...
(Spike's eyes grow wide and and he grins)
She'd have a disappointing wedding night
(Spike frowns while Scootaloo giggles)
But in your past, what do I see?
(Tydal suddenly leans forward, his nose touching Spike's)
You taking my dear Wiggles away from me!

"Let it go already," Spike complained. "Sir," he quickly added.

Tydal leaned back, a smug little smile on his face. "Well, this has been fun... but I will now admit the truth: I don't hurt kids. THey get free passes."

"We... we do?" Scootaloo said. Tydal looked to Celestia and Luna, who nodded. "Then why all this?"

"I do love scaring ponies from time to time... but my offer still stands: I will help you catch these Twilights... at least some of them."

"I don't know..." Scootaloo said.

"Why does she get to decide?" Night Light asked, only to be ignored.

"Shake my hoof. Come on kids... won't you shake... a poor capricorn's hoof?"

Scootaloo and Spike silently debating this offer for a moment before finally reaching out and pressing their hoof/hand to Tydal's.

Tydal

Yesssss.....

(Purple light suddenly shines all around them and Tydal begins to call upon armor and weapons. Baby Twilight happily begins beating on some drums while Discord holds a frightened Fluttershy and the agents back away nervously. Faith has his wings spread out, protecting Twi as he tries to figure out what is going on)

Are ya ready?
(Are ya ready?)
Are ya... ready?
Mutilation central!
(Mutilation central!)
Mutilation central!
(Mutilation central!)
Murderation central!

(The armor flies onto Scootaloo and Spike while Tydal waves a foreleg in front of his face and suddenly transforms into a monsterous version of himself: his flesh becomes dark water, allowing them to see the black stone that now makes up his bones)

Can ya feel it?
It's coming, it's coming, it's coming alright!
I hope you'll be satisfied...
I'll say this once: don't doubt me!
Cause I've sent plenty to the other.... side!
(He'll do what he needs to!)
(Just hope its what you need!)
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

(The lights go out, leaving only Tydal's stony skull visible. He laughs and lets out a puff of air, turning out all the lights)

The lights instantly flickered and Scootaloo and Spike found themselves standing where they had started... while, Tydal, looking normal, was calmly chatting with Celestia about a new cake recipe his wife had found.

Discord crossed his arms over his chest and gave a dismissive sniff. "When I was ripping off songs it was original..."

Author's Note:

If you guys have a moment, please take a moment to check out The Winds of Winter: A Hooves Family Adventure, my special holiday fic. Give it some love, guys!

Find it here: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/150827/the-winds-of-winter-a-hooves-family-tale