• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 9,089 Views, 410 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: The First Year - Cloudhammer



Ponies and Humans meet for the first time and come to terms with a new, shared existence.

  • ...
42
 410
 9,089

04 - Making Waves

Week 3, Tuesday

Star Dancer blinked his eyes blearily as he stretched, still not used to feeling sheets made from something other than clouds. Rolling out of bed, he shook himself to work out the remaining cricks in his neck and settle his mane. Looking at his roommate’s empty bed, Star shook his head before he trotted to the door. Pausing as he eyed the rebellious door handle sternly, he grinned as he expertly gripped it in his mouth and opened the door.

‘Take that! And they said I’d still be struggling by the end of the first week!’ Star thought as he quietly shut the door behind him and cantered down the hallway. A familiar door was opening ahead of him and he smiled as he heard a familiar voice muttering in aggravation.

“By the Sun! Could they make these doors any more difficult to work?” The owner of the voice was an aquamarine earth pony, the mare tossing her lavender mane from her eyes. Seeing Star Dancer, she smiled warmly. “Good morning Star.”

Star returned the smile. “Good morning Berry. You’re still having trouble with your doorknob?”

Berry Sparkle shook her head in exasperation. “You’d think they’d have just let us bring doors in from Equestria. Oh! How’s your studying on the human language coming?”

“I’ve gotten their letters down fine, but there are so many words in that dictionary of theirs it gets confusing at times. And I heard a rumor from Silver Swirl that there’s more than one version of this language, not to mention all the others these humans have. Don’t see why we can’t just have them learn Equestrian instead.”

Berry laughed as the pair made their way down the hall towards the dining area. “Well, I think I remember hearing that their tongues aren’t flexible enough to speak it or something like that. In any case, I’m happy to be able to walk around in an entirely different world! My friend Lily Hearts back home was so jealous when I got accepted to be in the first group sent here and she wasn’t.”

And so the small talk continued as they entered the dining area. It had three low tables set out with cushions for ponies to sit at, and three more sized for humans next to them. There were a few other ponies already eating some salads, and nearby Star could see the gold statue of Captain Flare patiently watching the room.

Trotting up to him, Star cuffed him on the shoulder. “Morning Flare, how’d the early morning shift go?” When the unicorn didn’t respond to him, Star shrugged his wings and turned to trot away.

“You know as well as I do nothing happened last night. I’ll hand it to those humans standing guard outside; they know how to scare anypony snooping around away.” Flare said with a chuckle as he stretched before getting to his hooves.

Star sighed and looked out the floor to ceiling windows that formed the one wall of the second story. “I have to admit, the humans do know how to pick a view.” The sun was rising over the harbor, where more ships could be seen.

“That they do. Now come on, let’s get some breakfast. That doctor will be here soon, and we’re still trying to make a good impression.”

The guard hated being stuck on shack duty. The view never changed, and he knew that everyone else was either getting to at least do some work or have a day off. He finished his pacing and looked down the road to see a familiar car approaching. With a protested squeal, the old sedan came to a stop and the guard walked to the driver side door. He waited expectantly as the window rolled down and a cloud of acrid smoke drifted out, before leaning in to check the identification card of the woman behind the wheel. Glancing from it to the woman’s face, he nodded and pressed a button, lowering the thick metal rods that blocked the entrance.

“Good morning Dr. Ross, have a nice day.”

With another squeal of metal on metal, the sedan pulled away into the base. The guard shook his head and went back to staring blankly down the road.

Inside the car, the woman took another long drag on her cigarette, absently grinding it out in a well-used ashtray before reaching for another. The morning sun streaming through the windows lit a surprisingly young face, gold-brown hair hanging in front of her sunglasses. Brushing it out of the way irritably, she propped the steering wheel with a knee so she could light the cigarette. After another few minutes of driving, she finally saw her destination and pulled into the spot designated for her. Opening the door, she waved to the guard posted at the door as she approached.

“So Kevin, any of our new friends awake yet?” Her voice was rough from years of smoking, but still had some charm to it.

“Just three of them so far: The gold-armored one’s been up all night again, and Gabe said he heard two more of them talking a little while ago.”

“I see, what’s the pool stand at now?”

The guard laughed. “Well, we’ve got $50 with two to one odds that the unicorn sleeps while standing there. Feel like joining in?”

“I’ll pass for now, let me know who wins.” The woman tossed her cigarette into the garbage can and walked through the double doors and entered the waiting room of what had been the old base hospital. They were going to demolish it, but with Equestria’s emergence it was decided to repurpose the building to act as a temporary embassy while a more official one was constructed. Heading to the stairwell, she passed it and entered the service elevator. Stabbing a finger at the ‘2’, she tapped a foot impatiently as it ground its way upwards. Exiting as soon as the doors opened, she turned left toward the dining area and saw that Kevin had been wrong after all. Eight heads turned toward her and she stopped for a second to smile awkwardly before entering her office, if it could be called that, idly straightening the plaque that read: ‘Dr. Elizabeth Ross, Ph.D.’ The office had begun life as a two-patient room, but one of the beds had been replaced by a large wooden desk.

Crossing the room to sit at her desk, she pushed yet another ashtray off the stack of folders and lifted the first one. Opening it, she read the name printed and sighed. “Of course, they’d want me to look at him first.” Getting up, she walked back to the door and leaned out into the hallway. “Star Dancer? Can you come in here when you finish eating?” Once she was sure the tan pegasus had heard her, she walked back into her office. Five minutes crawled by before the door handle turned and Star trotted into the room. Once again Elizabeth wondered if God had simply gone insane and dragged the world along for the ride.

“Dr. Ross, are you feeling alright?” With a start, she realized that she’d been staring blankly at the file in front of her for a few minutes. Star Dancer had moved to stand beside her, and was looking back and forth between her and the form.

“Y-yes, just a little tired. Alright, let’s see… we have the usual basic tests to do, and then one more after that.” She said, pushing herself to her feet and walking over to the table by the other bed. Star Dancer followed and hopped up onto the bed with a flap of his wings, holding out a foreleg expectantly. She shook her head as she picked up the blood pressure cuff and secured it around his wrist.

“One of these days we’re going to have to figure out how you do that.”

Star Dancer tilted his head in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“The whole flight thing. Your body’s just not built for it according to conventional science. For instance, that little hop right there. You barely flapped your wings, yet were able to generate enough lift to get onto the bed.”

“Well yea, it’s only a short hop; I didn’t need to push that hard.”

“No, I mean your body weight is too much for such a little flap to lift you like that. There has to be something else you do in order to make that possible.” Finishing the blood pressure test, she set it aside and prepped a thermometer. Star Dancer opened his mouth obligingly and the conversation stopped while the device chirped a few times and then beeped. Recording the result, she compared it to the prior numbers and nodded.

“Alright, there’s one final test for the day. We’ll be observing your flying more closely, maybe answer some of our questions about how exactly you can get off the ground.”

Star Dancer’s eyes widened. “Really? When do we go? I’ve been aching to stretch my wings and see more of this island.” His expression fell as Ross shook her head.

“We’ll be conducting the tests here inside for now, maybe at another point we can try going outdoors.”

“But how am I supposed to actually get any altitude in here? You have to at least let me go on the roof. Please?” Mustering the best begging face he could, Star hoped she would acquiesce.

Looking down at the tan face and those aquamarine eyes, lower lip jutting out just far enough, Elizabeth tried mightily to resist. But finally she caved, and raised a finger sternly. “Alright, on the roof. But any stunts and it’ll be both of us on the chopping block, okay?”

“Sure thing!” Star Dancer spread his wings and hopped off the bed to the floor.

Elizabeth stared intently as the sheets seemed to settle a bit slower than normal. She slowly reached out and pulled them up again. This time they settled normally.

“Something wrong Doctor?” Star asked from halfway out the door, wings fluttering eagerly.

“No. Alright, let’s get this over with.” The two walked down the short hallway to the stairwell, Elizabeth once again lamenting the lack of an elevator.

Once on the roof, Star Dancer seemed even more energetic, if such a thing were possible. He cantered to the edge of the roof and looked down, then back to Elizabeth. She nodded, glancing around in the hope that no one would notice them up here on the roof. Turning back, she twitched as she no longer saw Star Dancer. Running to the edge, she was almost bowled over as the tan pegasus raced up over the lip. Recovering from the shock, she watched as he lazily flew a circle around the area of the roof.

“So much better. It’s been paaainful sitting indoors all the time.” Star continued to spin, slowly angling his wings so he was gaining more and more altitude with each circle.

“Star Dancer, you need to come back down, you’re going too high. Goddamn it, of all the stupid tricks to fall for.” Elizabeth cursed as she rummaged in her pockets for her phone.

“Relax Dr. Ross, I’ll be fine…” Star trailed off as he spotted a small group of humans a long distance off, along one of the beaches. He looked back down at Dr. Ross, who was talking into one of those little devices called a ‘phone’, and decided that maybe pulling this stunt was a bad idea. “Well, I couldn’t get in too much trouble with just a short flight over, could I?” Thinking about it more as he leveled out and started flying toward the distant cluster, he had soon solidified his logic. “Yea, I mean they never did say we weren’t allowed to leave, something about diplomatic immunity, whatever that means. So yea, it’s fine.”

Swooping higher, he took a few minutes to enjoy the view of the island; the warm air was absolutely wonderful against his coat and wings. Spiraling higher, he wondered if he’d be able to rent out a cloud home here, and decided to ask about it when he got the chance. Turning back toward the beach, he could see the humans clearer, some of them holding oddly shaped, colored boards next to them. He watched as one started running toward the water, and once far enough in, started paddling on the board even further out, where large swells of water were cresting into tall waves. Looking closer, Star could see another human actually standing on their board and riding it down the face of the wave, barely escaping the curl as the wave came crashing down behind them.

“That looks fun… I’ve got to try that.” Star Dancer angled himself down and waited, hovering over the water as the next wave, even bigger than the one before it, started to rise up. Once the top of the crest had formed, Star folded his wings in and rolled into a dive. Just before he hit the water he snapped his wings out and practically skated across the surface. Faint shouts of alarm that turned into cheers reached him as the wave curled over him, turning the light a murky shade of green. But instead of fear, Star felt invigorated, and pushed his wings harder. It almost felt like being back home in Cloudsdale, the sensation of the first drop off the edge of a cloud with nothing but the open sky to catch you. He snapped out of his reverie as he cleared the wave’s curl, soaring up into a curving loop that ended with him hovering over a group of floating humans. One of them, a male with short black hair and brown eyes, stared unbelievingly at him.

“That was awesome little… uhhh… dude.” The human rubbed at his eyes. “Guess that means all the news is actually for real. Shit, wow.”

Star’s ears flattened and he hung his head a little. “I’m sorry if I shouldn’t have done that, you all looked like you were having so much fun, I wanted to try…”

The human cut him off with a wave of his hand. “Nah dude, it’s cool. Just didn’t expect to see a flying pony this morning.” Looking out toward the horizon, a grin spread across his face. “Name’s Larry, by the way. There’s a big one coming, you up for it, or just want to stick to the small stuff?”

“The last one was pretty big though.” Star protested, only for the human to laugh.

“If you say so ma… pony? What would you go by? Anyway, wave’s coming in, try to keep up.” And the human was off, paddling with his arms as he guided the board out toward the seemingly calm ocean.

As Star watched, one of the swells started to grow higher and higher, and his jaw dropped as the wave soon towered over the one he’d flown through before. Shaking his head, he flapped his wings and sped upward, soon clearing the top of the wave as it started to crest. Rolling over, he could see Larry standing up on the board as he rode it down the wave’s face. With a grin of his own Star snapped his wings back and dove hard, spreading them just in time to avoid hitting the water, but let his wingtip slice through the water. Coming up on Larry, he tensed his wing muscles to speed past him when he noticed something was wrong. A strange black patch was forming on the human’s back, and the board was starting to waver. Realizing Larry was about to fall, Star twitched course and darted toward the human as he started to tumble to the side. Reaching out with his forelegs, he hooked them under Larry’s arms and heaved, straining his wings as he lifted the human free of the board. Turning hard to the right, Star flapped as hard as he could, barely managing to get clear of most of the wave as it came crashing down. The other humans came splashing out of the water as Star set Larry down on the beach and dropped heavily to the sand beside him.

“What happened?”

“Is he alright?”

“Jesus, look as his back…”

"That wasn't there before the pony showed up..."

“The fuck did you do to him pony?”

The mood of the group steadily grew darker and Star started to panic, when a familiar voice cut across the others.

“OUT OF THE WAY!” The crowd parted to reveal Dr. Ross, accompanied by a pair of humans wearing uniforms and helmets with M.P. stenciled on them. Ignoring Star for the moment, Dr. Ross knelt by the human and put a hand to his neck.

“I’m sorry! I was flying and saw them having fun on the water and wanted to give it a try myself is he going to be okay?” Star was frantic now, nosing at Larry’s shoulder as Dr. Ross peered closely at his back.

“You two, give me a hand, he’s coming to the base with us.” The M.P.’s looked at each other, then carefully lifted the unconscious Larry and started carrying him to their waiting vehicle. One of the other humans, a young girl, strode to confront Dr. Ross.

“You can’t just take him, he’s got rights too! More rights than that damn pony does!” Star’s ears flattened and he looked about ready to cry as the girl continued her tirade. “I know that it did something to him, Larry’s a great surfer and…” Her shouting was abruptly silenced as Dr. Ross slapped her.

“Listen to me you little beach bimbo. Star Dancer had nothing to do with what happened to Larry. If we don’t take him to the base hospital, he could die. So shut up and let us try to help. Star, get in the Humvee.” Not waiting for a response, she strode angrily towards the vehicle, Star following close behind. As they got in, Star looked back at the assembled humans, all of whom now bore expressions of anger or resentment. Hanging his head as the door shut, Star felt a few tears welling up in his eyes.

“So is he going to be alright?” Star asked Dr. Ross as she closed the door quietly behind her. They’d gotten back to the base, and hurried Larry over to the new hospital. Star had insisted on coming, and Dr. Ross hadn’t argued, as the hospital staff took over and rushed Larry into a room.

Elizabeth sighed, running a hand through her hair. “I think so. He seems to be making a recovery, though we’ll have to see if he keeps improving. What exactly happened out there?”

“Well, another wave was coming in, and Larry was ahead of me. I was about to pass him when I noticed that the skin on his back was turning black. He started to fall and I caught him.”

Elizabeth nodded slowly. “I see… and how exactly did you manage to carry him to shore? He weighs nearly twice as much as you.”

“I don’t know! I just grabbed him and carried him. It’s just like carrying anything else, you do just do it.” Star half-shouted.

Elizabeth frowned, her eyes unfocused as she pondered what he’d said. Nodding as though she’d come to some understanding, she glanced to the door as it opened and another human came out. This human was dressed in a long white coat, and carried a clipboard in his hand. “How is the patient?”

“He’s stable for now, though the condition affecting him is like nothing we’ve ever seen. It seems to be retreating on its own however, so I think barring any complications he should make a full recovery.” The doctor jumped as he noticed Star Dancer standing there looking at him anxiously. “What is that thing doing here in my hospital?”

Narrowing his eyes, Star took a step closer, his wings flaring up in challenge. “Larry is my friend! I wanted to make sure he was alright! I want to see him!”

The doctor looked to Elizabeth, who shrugged. “Alright, but keep it down, there’s other patients trying to get better here.”

Star lowered his wings as he glanced around; realizing every human in the room was staring at him. Ducking his head sheepishly, the pegasus trotted quietly into the room. Larry was lying on his stomach, the black patch on his back exposed to the open air. Already it was smaller than it had been when Star last saw it. He made his way over to the human and nosed at his hand gently. The human stirred a little and opened his eyes.

“Where… where am I?”

“The hospital. You were exposed to an as-yet unknown radiation, though you seemed to have escaped the worst of it thanks in part to Star Dancer here,” Dr. Ross said as she entered the room, “now I need you to tell me what you can remember.”

Larry frowned as he thought back. “Well, I was dropping in, the wave was great, no chop or anything to throw me off… but then things got weird. It felt like time was speeding up, but I was moving in slow-mo. Then I started hearing singing, if you can believe it, and right before I blacked out everything just seemed brighter. So you saved me little dude?”

Star blushed lightly. “I guess… You were about to fall and I wasn’t going to let that happen to a new friend. We are friends, aren’t we?”

“Little dude, we are mos’ definitely brahs now.” He lifted his one hand and curled his fingers into a fist. Star looked at it in confusion, not sure what he was supposed to do next, or what a ‘brah’ was. Larry rolled his eyes, “C’mon, don’t leave me hangin’!”

Hesitantly, Star lifted his right hoof and held it out. Larry extended his arm and tapped his knuckles against it.

“There, that’s a proper brofist… err, guess in this case it’d be like a bro-… hoof or something.”

“Brohoof?” Star repeated, the word unknown to him.

“Sure, why the hell not? Brohoof it is brah.” Larry smiled, and Star found himself smiling too.

“Alright, alright. Now, you’ve got to get some more rest Larry, and Star here has some explaining to do for running off like that.” Star’s ears plastered themselves to his head and he pawed at the floor with his foreleg, his expression crestfallen.

“Don’t let her get to ya brah, if you hadn’t snuck off I might not have made it. I’ll catch ya another time, maybe then we can ride a real bomb of a wave together.” Larry said encouragingly. Star perked up at that and smiled again.

“Alright, I’ll see you around Larry!”

Elizabeth shook her head and led the pegasus out of the hospital. Walking out the front door they entered the waiting Humvee for the ride to the embassy.

“Am I in a lot of trouble Dr. Ross?”

“Well, you did run off and nearly get me fired…” Star hung his head, “but, I suppose it worked out in the end. However, you aren’t getting off that easily. When we get back to the hospital, I want to try one more test. You think you can handle it without flying away?”

“I’ll do my best to resist the urge.”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. “Gee, thanks. And Star Dancer? You can call me Elizabeth.”

“E-liz-a-beth.” Star’s mouth contorted as he played around with the syllables. “I like it, it’s a nice name. Thanks for not getting angry with me.”

“Sure… besides, if I had, you’d just turn the waterworks on and make me feel bad.” Elizabeth muttered to herself as the Humvee pulled up to the embassy.

“And you’re sure about this Dr. Ross?” President Foster asked as he tapped a pencil on his desk. Her report lay in front of him, the papers scattered out of order.

“Yes sir, the tests prove it for the most part. It seems that when the pegasi take off, they actually reduce the pull of gravity on them, allowing for their wings to support them in flight despite being as small as they are. It appears this effect also extends to objects they’re touching, as evidenced when Star Dancer was able to carry an adult human a short distance, in spite of how impossible it would be for something from our world. However, once the pegasus releases the object they’re holding, gravity returns to normal immediately. I’m still unsure as to how the pegasi can do this, whether it is an organ in their bodies that we’ve missed, or something like the ‘magic’ that we’ve heard about.”

Tyler rubbed at his eyes, the fatigue showing despite the best efforts of the White House staff. Being President on any normal day was stressful as hell, and throwing in the appearance of a new reality full of apparently magical talking ponies wasn’t helping. He’d had no less than twenty conversations with world leaders from Brazil to Japan since Celestia’s UN speech, some wanting him to immediately declare war on the Equestrians, others demanding the chance to speak with Princess Celestia about allowing resource exploration. Things at home weren’t any better, as polls showed his popularity dropping like a stone, and some of the more militant religious groups threatening violence if the so-called ‘scourge of the four-legs’ wasn’t removed from US soil immediately. The economy had gone into flux as well, upsetting the gradual recovery it had been making since Alder left office.

“And you’re sure about what affected this surfer?”

“Regrettably yes, it appears consistent with reports from the month before Equestria’s emergence, as well as the bodies recovered from the Stennis.”

“Very well, continue documenting everything you learn. Good work so far Dr. Ross.”

“Thank you mister President.” The link cut off and Tyler leaned back in his chair, not opening his eyes as the door opened.

“What is it Curtis?”

The chief of staff crossed the room and set a scroll down on the desk. “This appeared a few minutes ago in your bedroom. We’ve examined it closely and found no traces of harmful substances.”

Tyler nodded and opened the scroll. His eyes flicked back and forth as he read its contents. Tossing it onto the desk, he pushed himself out of the chair.

“Have Air Force One ready to fly to Hickam. Celestia wants to tour the temporary embassy, and speak to us about the specifics for Project Traveler. She says the idea intrigues her and she is amicable to it.”

“Right away sir, how many of them are coming this time?”

Tyler double checked the note. “She says something about The Bearers of the Elements, plus a complement of her guards. Christ, she’s bringing a whole damn party with her this time. I want security to be tight for this Curtis; no one knows they’re coming until they arrive at Hickam.”

“Of course, Mr. President.”