• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 9,089 Views, 410 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: The First Year - Cloudhammer



Ponies and Humans meet for the first time and come to terms with a new, shared existence.

  • ...
42
 410
 9,089

10 - Light at the End of the Tunnel

Week 18, Tuesday – Week 19, Tuesday

Week 27, Wednesday – Sunday

With a yawn Twilight pushed herself upright in the bed, blinking her eyes blearily as she looked at the clock on the wall. Wincing as she read the softly glowing numbers displaying 06:41, the unicorn debated going back to sleep before rolling out of bed. She opened the door with a small pulse of magic and shut her eyes at the ever-present light of the hallway.

“I still don’t know why they leave the lights on when everypony is sleeping…” she muttered as she trotted down the hallway. She heard noise coming from the lounge and stopped at the doorway as she saw what was on the TV. The view showed a group of shouting humans clashing with others dressed in identical uniforms and carrying large shields.

“This video was shot earlier outside the Equestrian Embassy as protestors continue to meet, despite warnings from police against demonstrations. Minor injuries have been reported, and five arrests were made as police try to maintain order.” The reporter continued speaking, but Twilight stopped listening.

“I’m still struggling to understand why you humans seem so eager to resort to violence against each other, Elizabeth.” She said as she trotted to one of the couches and climbed onto it.

Dr. Ross muted the TV and looked at the unicorn. “Well, people never take the news that their world is going to end well.”

“But it’s not going to end; we’ll find a solution to make humans resistant to magic.” Twilight retorted firmly.

“You say that Twilight, but we’ve been here for over a month, and we’re no closer to a solution than we were when we started. I’m not one for the doom and gloom like those people there,” she pointed to the screen, where a human could be seen carrying a sign with the slogan ‘Repent! The end is nigh!’, “but I’m starting to suspect that there is nothing that can be done.”

“Then why the hay would ya keep on carryin’ on sugarcube?” Applejack asked as she entered the lounge. Compared to Twilight the farm pony looked completely awake and refreshed.

“I don’t really know. I guess part of me wants to believe that the solution exists, in spite of the evidence. Foolish, I know, but…”

“It’s not foolish silly! You just gotta smile and keep going forward!” Pinkie said as she bounced into the room, followed closely by Fluttershy, Rarity and Rainbow Dash. Pinkie was her usual chipper self, while the other three looked like they’d been dragged from their beds.

“Remind me again why you felt it necessary to drag us all from our beds at the hour? I need my beauty sleep…” Rarity said irritably as she pushed her hair out of her eyes.

“My Pinkie Sense told me somebody was feeling upset, and that makes me upset, so I got this great idea that we should all find the sad saddy-pants and cheer them up!” Pinkie said matter-of-factly, before she cantered over to Dr. Ross “We’re close to finding that cure thingy for all you humans Liz, I can feel it!”

Dr. Ross smiled and ruffled Pinkie’s hair. “I wish I had that optimism Pinkie.” The party pony leaned into the ruffling with an ecstatic smile on her muzzle. “Though I think you keep trying to cheer me up just so I’ll scratch your ears.”

Pinkie reared back, an expression of anger on her face though her eyes sparkled gleefully. “Why I never! I’d never sink to manipulating a friend for scratches!” Grinning, she leaned in close to Dr. Ross, “Though if you’re offering, how could I refuse?” she said with a flutter of her eyelashes. Laughing, Dr. Ross obliged, working her fingers under the fluffy pink mane to get at the spot she knew Pinkie loved. Everyone else started laughing as Pinkie’s eyes grew unfocused and her tail started drumming on the floor. Finally Dr. Ross stopped and pushed herself to her feet.

“Alright, let’s go get some breakfast and then we can get to work.” With a few more chuckles the mixed group made their way out of the lounge, Dr. Ross turning the TV off of a muted report on the economy.

---

President Foster spat the toothpaste into the sink and looked at himself in the mirror. He still looked as young as he should, but the strain of the past month was beginning to show. His eyes told the tale best, the old sparkle no longer present. Finishing in the bathroom he walked out to see his suit laid out and the morning brief sitting on top of it. Dressing quickly, he scanned through it while walking to the door. An agent greeted him, handing him his locator and following him to the Oval Office. Curtis fell into step with him as he passed the Chief of Staff’s office.

“Good morning Mr. President.”

“I’ll let you know on the ‘good’ part later Curtis; how’s the state of the world?”

“About the same as it was when you went to bed sir. There was another protest outside the Equestrian Embassy, but the DC police have it handled.”

“We need to find whoever’s putting these things together. They may not be very big, but they’re sure as hell distracting the public and making us look bad. Any hotspots elsewhere in the world?”

“Australia had a minor riot at the airport their Equestrian delegate was supposed to arrive at, but no one was killed. Minor property damage was the only thing reported. China actually welcomed their delegate with open arms, threw them a big party and everything. Russia was cautious, but our contacts with their government report that things are going well. Brazil and the other South American countries seem to be doing well, though fringe elements still loyal to Henriques are making noise. Finally, Britain reports that their delegation was well received, apparently the ponies there are from Canterlot, so they’re used to the pomp and ceremony.”

“Seems like that’s going well. What about the research teams?” Foster watched Curtis’ face fall, and sighed. “That bad huh?”

“They’re still reporting no real success in developing a treatment. Japan’s team claimed to be able to sustain exposure to magic for ten minutes, but the result was the same in the end. Neither Dr. Ross’ facility nor the CDC has had any more luck than theirs. As for the others, none have managed to make their samples last more than six minutes.”

“I see. How’s the economy doing?”

“Well, we took a hard hit after your announcement of the probe results, but we think it’s starting to climb back up. The Dow posted another net gain yesterday, and breached eleven thousand once. It’s still rough, but it’s a start.”

“Alright. What else is on the schedule?”

“You have meetings with the Joint Chiefs to review our part of the security cordon we’ve established around Equestria to make sure no one tries to sneak in. Then a meeting with Princess Celestia to discuss expanding the role they’re playing in global politics, as well as negotiating allowing Equestrians to visit the country. I recommend allowing it for now, though stressing the need for educating any of the ponies who want to visit about exercising caution. Public opinion is still wavering on the Equestrians, but with luck we can keep them positive. After that is the usual budget meetings and outreaches to foreign governments.”

“Sounds like a plan; let’s get to work.” Foster said as he sat down behind his desk. Looking out the window, he smiled. “At least it’s a sunny day.”

---

The building was nearly empty, the expected sights of dozens of scientists working in concert replaced mostly by automation and lack of interest. Computers had captured the hearts and minds of the public, and despite maintaining a healthy rate of graduations, genetic engineers were now mostly employed with medical companies. Dr. Ross had been offered no less than eight jobs from major pharmaceuticals around the world, but she’d turned them down in favor of continuing to do research into the very basics of human genetics. She allowed herself a small smile as she wondered what her fellow students would think of her now, on the leading edge of efforts to save the entire human race with a bunch of brightly colored ponies.

“Now beginning test #298567, exposure of Equestrian thaumatic energy to human blood cells. Participating unicorn Twilight Sparkle will be using one percent of her estimated total capacity for a total exposure time of five minutes. This particular sample will be surrounded by a thaumatic redirection field in order to attempt to keep cell exposure to a minimum. For my safety I will leave the room in a moment.” Dr. Ross spoke into her pocket recorder before nodding to Twilight and walking out of the room.

Looking through the windows, Dr. Ross watched as a faint purple light enveloped the unicorn’s horn, the same glow appearing in a circle around the small petri dish on the table. Next, more light began to flow from Twilight’s horn, parting as it contacted the circle of glowing light. She watched as the timer on the clock counted down until it finally reached zero. Knocking on the door to get Twilight’s attention, Dr. Ross waited for the glow to dissipate before re-entering the room. Gently picking up the petri dish, she slid it under the large microscope perched on the nearby table and looked into the eyepieces. Turning the focus knobs, she cursed as she saw the cells had begun necrotizing in places, a few cells dying completely.

“Another failure?” Twilight asked, looking up at the doctor worriedly.

“I just don’t know what else to try. We’re running out of options Twilight.” Dr. Ross pushed back from the microscope as Pinkie Pie nudged open the door, a tray of food balanced on her back.

“Who’s hungry? I’ve got some snacks for you two!” Craning her head around to grab the tray, Pinkie slid it onto the table and looked at the two. Her smile faded a little as she saw their crestfallen expressions. “What’s wrong?”

“We tried another test and failed.” Dr. Ross said softly as she rubbed her eyes.

“Aww, I’m sorry.” Pinkie looked at the human and nuzzled her leg. “I wish you humans could be more like us, then maybe the magic wouldn’t hurt you so much.”

“That’d be nice Pinkie, but if that were the case then we wouldn’t need to be here in the first place…” Twilight trailed off as she realized Dr. Ross was staring blankly at Pinkie. “Dr. Ross? Elizabeth? Are you alright?”

“What did you just say Pinkie?” The words seemed to have to force themselves out of Dr. Ross’ mouth.

“I wish you humans could be more like us, then maybe the magic wouldn’t hurt you so much?” Pinkie asked, tilting her head.

Dr. Ross stared blankly for a few seconds more before they lit up. She surged to her feet and hoisted Pinkie into the air. “You’re a genius!” She kissed her on the forehead and set her down, looking frantically for a piece of paper.

“I am?” Pinkie was now thoroughly confused.

Twilight’s ears flicked back nervously as Dr. Ross began to scribble on the paper she’d found. “What’s going on Dr. Ross?”

“I should have thought of this sooner, I’m so damn stupid. The answer lies with you, just not the magic.” She held up a piece of paper, which now showed a peculiar spiral made of two interconnected strands. “This is called deoxyribonucleic acid, or DNA. It’s something every living thing on this planet is made up of. Now, I don’t know what you Equestrians have for DNA, or if you even do, but there might be something in what passes for your genetic code that could provide the solution we need!”

Pinkie started smiling at Dr. Ross’ exuberance. “So how do you look at our DNA thingies?”

“Well, I’ll need to take a blood sample. And we’ll need a more powerful microscope, but I can submit that request today. But this is at least something new, so we’re already doing better than we were a second ago.”

Twilight was nervous about what Dr. Ross meant by a blood sample, but was nonetheless happy to see that they might have made some progress after all, even if it was from Pinkie’s complete randomness over meticulous study.

---

A week passed before the delivery truck arrived with the new microscope. It was carefully unloaded and rolled into the experiment room, taking up an entire table by itself. The ponies all gathered around curiously as Dr. Ross carefully plugged cables in.

“So this here thing will let ya’ll see our… uhh, DNA?” Applejack asked.

“Exactly, DNA, or whatever you ponies have instead of it, is very very small. Smaller than a grain of sand. So we need something like this microscope here to be able to see it.” Dr. Ross plugged the last cable in and pressed a button, smiling as the computer next to it started warming up. “Now, I don’t need to remind you all that there should be no magic being used while this machine is running. I don’t even want you two flying, it could short out the circuitry and these are not cheap to replace.” She gave a pointed look to Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, who fluttered their wings a little. She turned and picked up a petri dish, setting it snugly into the microscope. “This contains human blood cells, which in turn contain DNA. This device will let us view that DNA as if we could see it with our eyes.”

Twilight was nodding, while the other ponies just stared at her vacantly. Sighing, she powered up the device and waited a few minutes before the computer chimed and started to render the image. Soon, a gently twisting double helix was displayed proudly on the screen.

“So people everywhere are made up of those?” Pinkie asked, putting her forelegs on the table to get a better look.

“In a manner of speaking yes. These molecules are responsible for determining what each individual person will look like. Now, I need one of you to donate a blood sample for this machine to look at.”

At this the ponies all looked at each other uneasily. Finally, with a deep breath to steel herself, Pinkie Pie held out a hoof. “I’ll do it!”

“Alright, just give me a second…” Dr. Ross took the foreleg and felt gently around it, finally locating what she was looking for. “There’s one,” and she picked up a small square of cloth from the table, wiping gently at where she’d felt the blood vessel. She then lifted a needle and positioned it over Pinkie’s skin. “Now, you’ll feel a slight pinch, and then it’ll be over.” She gently slid the needle in. Pinkie winced a little, but Dr. Ross kept the leg steady as she withdrew a small amount of blood and carefully backed the needle out. “There, that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

“I guess not. So now what?”

“Well, now I’ll need a few minutes to prepare this sample and then we can see what you ponies have for DNA.” Dr. Ross said with a smile as she got to work. It only took a few minutes and soon the electron microscope was humming away as it scanned the new sample. The computer beeped and began to render the image as everyone crowded around. Soon the display was completed and Dr. Ross just stared, mouth open at what she saw in front of her.

“So that’s Pinkie’s DNA?” Rarity asked as she walked closer to peer at the monitor.

“Yes… but…” Dr. Ross scooted her chair closer and blinked, seeing the same thing on the screen as a second ago.

A curving helix similar to the one displayed before decorated the monitor, only where the previous strand had two strands, this one had three, with the extra giving off a small glow.

“So how come mine has three while the other only had two?” Pinkie asked. “Does that make me super special?”

“It does, compared to life here on this planet. I’ll need to look at samples from the rest of you to confirm this. If that’s alright with you, I mean.” The ponies all looked at their hooves and then to each other, finding strength from their friends before nodding resolutely.

“Thank you. Just let me get some more needles.” Dr. Ross walked over to the supply closet and came back bearing a tray of five more needles. Drawing blood from each pony in turn, she labeled each with the owning pony’s name. In the end, it wasn’t Fluttershy who was bothered by the needle; that dubious honor went to Rainbow Dash.

“Rainbow, we all had it done, it doesn’t hurt!” Pinkie chirped, munching on a carrot from her snack tray.

“I know, alright! I just don’t like needles!” Rainbow protested, not noticing as Dr. Ross gently slid the needle in and withdrew her blood sample. Looking down in time to see the needle finish coming out, Rainbow’s face paled and she looked like she was going to be sick.

“There, now that wasn’t so bad.” Dr. Ross said as she set the syringe down on the tray with the others. Moving quickly, she had the five samples prepared and placed into their own trays. Scanning them one at a time in the microscope, she soon had all six images displayed on the screen. Peering closely, her eyes flicked from one to the next as she compared them. “Now this is truly interesting.”

“What is it Elizabeth?” Twilight said as she leaned in to look.

“Well, I’d need to run more tests to confirm this, but I’d hazard a guess that this glow is in fact thaumatic energy. Therefore, I think that this third strand here is what allows you to coexist and interact with the energy that permeates your world.”

“This is all very fascinating,” Rarity said dryly, “but how does this relate to our goal of helping you humans?”

“Well, I’m not entirely sure. But if we can figure out how to replicate this strand, then we may be able to create something to allow humans to at least survive in the presence of magic.”

Twilight frowned, staring at the screen for a few seconds. “I don’t want to sound like I’m raining on anypony’s parade, but are you sure that this has any chance of working? Trying to take one strand from ours and apply it to yours sounds like it may have hundreds of unforeseen consequences."

“Which is why we need to get to work as soon as possible if we’re going to come up with a solution.” Dr. Ross turned back and stared intently at the six triple helices, wondering what other secrets lay contained within them.

---Two months later---

“Alright Twilight, Sample #457638 is ready… no, strike that designation from the record. This sample will now be known as Sample #1. Following an intensive analysis of the Equestrian genetic material, we have extracted a sample of the third strand and successfully attached it to the DNA in twenty blood cells. Cells show no degradation or necrosis as a result of the insertion, so we will now expose the cells to a low-level dose of thaumatic energy to test their resistance. Twilight Sparkle will provide approximately one percent of her estimated maximum potential for a period of five minutes. Now leaving the room to prevent my exposure to thaumatic radiation.” Dr. Ross exited the room and shut the door behind her, nodding to Twilight once she was ready.

Twilight lit her horn and a light purple glow surrounded the petri dish on the table. Dr. Ross held her breath as the last seconds clicked down and at the first beep of the clock she was knocking on the door. As Twilight let her magic fade Dr. Ross opened the door and hurried to the sample, carrying it to the electron microscope.

“This is it Twilight, I can feel it.” She said as the computer churned the data coming from the microscope and rendered it on the screen.

“Well? Let me see!” Twilight trotted around to get a better look at the screen, but froze at the expression on Dr. Ross’ face. It was a curious mix of utter despair and rage that scared the unicorn to her bones. “Elizabeth? What’s wrong?” She turned to the screen and gaped at what she saw. The magnified DNA floated serenely with all three strands bound together, one glowing softly.

“That can’t be, the sample was never contaminated…” Dr. Ross muttered dumbly as she adjusted the microscope and took another image. Again it showed the triple helix with one glowing strand. She took more images and every time was the same result “You’re certain you used the same magic as we’ve been using for every test?”

“Yes, I’m certain. What could have gone wrong? Did something go wrong with the insertion of the sample DNA?” Twilight’s mind raced as she tried to think of something that could have gone wrong, and didn’t even notice as Dr. Ross got to her feet and walked out of the lab. The slam of the door startled her and she chased her out into the hallway. “Dr. Ross, wait!” Seeing her turn the corner, Twilight galloped down the hall, almost colliding with Rainbow Dash as the pegasus walked out of the side hall.

“Woah, slow down there Twilight. Spike and Pinkie Pie sent me to tell you two that lunch was ready, what’s up with her?” She pointed to Dr. Ross, who was entering the lounge.

“Something went wrong with the experiment, I need you to get the girls and have them all meet me in the lounge.” Twilight said firmly as she started down the hallway after Dr. Ross.

“You got it.” Rainbow said as she spun about and took off down the hallway, crashing headlong through the double doors at the other end.

Twilight made her way slowly down the hallway, stopping in the door to the lounge. The lights were dimmed, but with the hall lights she could make out the shape of the doctor sitting in a chair facing the opposite wall. “Dr. Ross, I’m sorry the test didn’t go as well as we’d hoped, but…”

“Didn’t go well? DIDN’T GO WELL? IT WAS A GODDAMNED DISASTER!” Dr. Ross snapped in sudden anger, slamming her arm into the chair. “We staked two months of research on this test, and for it to fail so spectacularly is a sign that God just fucking hates us!”

Twilight was terrified; she’d never seen the doctor get this angry before. “M-maybe it was an isolated incident? If we try again I’m sure it’ll work!” The unicorn tried to sound hopeful, but her words sounded as worried as she felt.

“No, an isolated incident would have been a few cells showing some aberrations. For all of them to change so drastically in only five minutes is something else at work! There must have been something different that you did, tell me what it was!” She surged to her feet and turned to face Twilight. Her eyes were wild, but underneath the anger was a despair that echoed what Twilight had felt when facing Nightmare Moon and Discord alone.

“There was nothing else I did Elizabeth. Now please, calm down. We still have each other; we can pull through this together.” Twilight’s ear twitched as she heard the clicking of hooves on tile, the others all stopping behind her in the door.

“What’s the matter Twilight?” Fluttershy asked before she saw Dr. Ross and squeaked, hiding behind Applejack.

“Girls, there’s some bad news. We tried exposing a sample of human blood cells with our DNA added to magic, but when we looked at the sample… it was our DNA.”

“What do ya mean Sugarcube?” Applejack asked.

“I mean the whole thing, all the cells looked like they had just been collected from any one of us.” Twilight hung her head as the others started to realize what she was saying.

“But then what will happen if we try to use this on humans?” Rarity asked in confusion.

“I… I don’t know.” Dr. Ross said slowly, her eyes distant. “I need to make a phone call. President Foster is not going to take this news well.” She pushed past the ponies and walked haltingly down the hall toward her office.

The girls all looked at each other for a moment, each trying to wrap their heads around what this development meant.

“Twi, you been working with Elizabeth the most on this, what do ya think it means?” Applejack asked.

“I’m not entirely sure Applejack. If I understand it right, the human DNA would change to be pony DNA, I don’t know if that would effect a physical change though, but…” Twilight trailed off as her eyes stared into space, “perhaps applying a transformation spell while the DNA is shifting would make it a possibility…”

“Twilight, are you really suggesting what I think you are?” Rarity asked, aghast.

“I don’t know! There’d be thousands of variables involved, not to mention the ethical implications!” Twilight shot back. “Either way, this is over our heads. Princess Celestia needs to hear about this. Where’s Spike?”

“Ah think he’s still in tha kitchen.” Applejack said as Twilight pushed past her and galloped down the hall. The farm pony looked at her friends. “Am Ah the only one confused about all this?” The others shook their heads and began to follow Twilight down the hall.

Bursting through the doors into the kitchen, Twilight saw Spike humming to himself as he worked at the counter. “Spike! I need you to take a letter right away for the Princess!”

Almost falling off his stool in shock, Spike glared at Twilight for a second before seeing the urgency in her eyes. “Okay, okay… just let me find something to write with. I have a quill and some parchment in our room.” He said before being yanked into the air and deposited on Twilight’s back. Spike managed to get a grip on her mane as she wheeled about and galloped to their room. “So what’s going on Twi?”

“No time Spike, just take this down,” she cleared her throat, “Dear Princess Celestia. There’s been a strange development with the research on the means to protect humans from magic. I can’t explain everything in this letter, so if you could please visit as soon as possible, I can show it to you directly. Your Faithful Student, Twilight Sparkle.”

Spike finished scribbling and rolled up the parchment. Opening the window and taking a deep breath, he breathed a stream of green fire that enveloped the scroll, turning it into a sparkling cloud of smoke that arrowed into the sky. “Alright, it’s on its way. I don’t know where Celestia is though, so it might take a while to get to her. Sorry Twi.” He rubbed his claws together anxiously, “So, now can you tell me what’s going on?”

“Well, we were beginning the initial tests on the modified human cells…”

---

Dr. Ross sat at her desk, the phone held limply in one hand as she listened to the static of the phone’s encryption mechanism. Finally, it abated and a feminine voice came on. “White House Signals Office.”

“This is Dr. Elizabeth Ross, I have an urgent message for the President.”

“Very well, hold one moment while we connect you.” She listened again to the static before the familiar voice of the President spoke up.

“Hello Dr. Ross, what have you got for me? Some good news with the tests I hope.”

“Well sir, I wish I did. We just progressed with the first test using the modified cells this morning.” Dr. Ross quickly summarized the results of the test and waited for the President’s response. After a few seconds of silence she heard a sigh.

“I see. What are the prospects that this was a fluke?”

“Not very good sir. We might have better results with different cells, but the uniformity of the transformation indicates a similar outcome is likely.” Dr. Ross lit a cigarette and took a long pull on it. “To be honest I don’t know what else we can do sir. This lead was the best chance I’ve seen since we started this whole effort.”

“That’s not good enough Elizabeth. I need you to suck it up and keep trying; the other research teams haven’t had this particular issue.” There was the sound of papers being slid across a desk and more silence. “Well, turns out I spoke too soon. The British tell me the London facility just had the same problem. Regardless, we cannot let a minor setback slow us down.”

“Minor? Sir, the entirety of the past two months was spent developing this approach and only this approach as the possible cure. My team is literally out of viable leads at this time.”

“Dr. Ross, I appreciate that you are stressed given the disappointing results of this test. But allowing it to compromise your work is unacceptable. If you feel that you cannot continue I’ll find someone who can. Call me when you have more information.” The phone line clicked and went dead.

“That goddamned asshole! He doesn’t know what the fuck he’s talking about.” Dr. Ross shouted at the unresponsive phone. Slamming the handset back down, she felt her skin tingle as the hallway lit briefly with a flash of light. “What the hell?” Getting to her feet, she walked out the door and down the hall to the lounge, where she could hear Twilight explaining the results of the morning test. Stopping outside the door, she froze at what the unicorn said next.

“Given the nature of the transformation to the cell sample, it seems possible that a full-scale administration of the virus we used to attach the sample from our DNA to a human would result in their DNA becoming identical to ours.”

“A most peculiar development Twilight. Do you mean to imply…”

“I believe so Princess, if we use this on humans they could well become ponies like us. I haven’t accounted for the specifics yet, but that’s my initial conclusion.” Twilight finished quietly, the worry obvious in her tone.

“I see. And what do you think Dr. Ross? Do you believe Twilight is correct in this assumption?” Celestia’s voice asked softly.

Dr. Ross flinched as Celestia spoke her name, but took the last few steps to stand in the doorway. “There’s no way I can say for sure what would happen. Twilight could be right, but it’s far too early to say anything for sure. On top of that, even if it was possible, no one would believe it. How could they?”

Celestia stared at her with those ancient eyes for a long minute before seemingly making a decision. “If you would please give us the room for a few minutes.” The ponies and dragon looked at each other briefly before filing out into the hallway. “You as well Dr. Ross; I will let you know when it is safe to come back in.” Once Dr. Ross had left the room and shut the door, Celestia took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Eldritch light carved a perfect circle around the alicorn, containing the magic she was drawing up within its bounds. As she opened her eyes again the walls, floor and ceiling of the room fell away from her, spinning into the white void surrounding her.

“Luna.”

The word that wasn’t a word reverberated across both space and time, and after what could have been a few moments or millennia Celestia saw a black line forming across half of the space, the white fading to show pitch black emptiness. Two stars ignited in the darkness and Luna’s body resolved after them, dimly lit despite the blazing light from the white half of the space.

“Celestia. It has been a long time since we last spoke like this.” Luna said calmly, her mouth not moving. Rather, the words simply were, as if written onto the very fabric of reality.

“Indeed it has sister. I hope I did not interrupt anything.”

“Only a court meeting with the ambassador to the griffon nations. What troubles you sister?” Luna looked pointedly at the border between them, the white side wavering like flames.

Taking a deep breath, Celestia looked into her opposite’s eyes. “There has been a development in the search for a means to protect the humans.”

“Show me.” And almost like viewing a recording, the two alicorns watched as Twilight explained the results of the test again, followed by Dr. Ross’ confirmation of the unicorn’s beliefs. “Truly an intriguing turn of events.” Luna said once it was finished.

“The question before us is do we pursue this path? It is certain that some of the humans will react violently to this proposal. Perhaps even try to go to war against us.”

“They will fail.” Luna said immediately, the half of the space that belonged to her growing colder for an instant.

“Calm yourself my sister. We cannot simply exterminate these humans; such an act would reduce us to nothing more than we were during the times of Discord.” Both halves of the void shuddered as memories of the howling madness made itself known.

“So what will we do? Do you believe these humans will accept this as a viable choice?”

Celestia pondered the myriad options that lay in front of her. “If we go through with this, it will be offered to them as a choice. There may yet be a means to allow the humans to survive in the presence of magic. However, if such a means is found, something will have to be done about the humans and their vices. Given their vastly larger population they could well overrun the other races.”

“Perhaps if they accept this… ponification, the transformation will adjust their more violent tendencies to reflect those of our subjects?” Luna asked.

“Perhaps, though we cannot force that change upon them. They are living creatures, and above all, they must be allowed a choice.”

“Of course, but since all the effort we put into the formative years after Discord’s sealing would be reflected in this generation’s core essence as well. So it is more than probable that these humans will be sufficiently at peace with themselves they will not have the need to indulge their base behavior. Though I admit that I have not spoken with nearly as many humans as you Celestia, what do you think?”

“There is indeed a great potential for violence in them. But such tendencies exist in all creatures of flesh and blood, even we are not immune to them my dear sister.” Celestia reminded gently. “So, I agree. We will extend this offer of ponification to any human willing to accept it. I expect once the human President Foster learns of this he will seek an audience with both of us. Will you be willing to speak to him?”

“Of course dear sister. I have heard much of him in the reports from the Embassy. He seems to possess a sharp mind for one so young. Do you think he plays chess?” Luna teasingly asked as the black void began to give way before the white.

“Better than most at his age. I shall see you soon.” Celestia said as the darkness faded completely. Taking a deep breath, the alicorn closed her eyes, opening them to see the walls of the room fitting themselves back together around her. The circle of light flickered out and she sighed softly, before flicking an ear as the door mechanism finished closing. “You may come back in.”

Dr. Ross opened the door, confusion written on her face. “But I just closed the door, are you done already?”

“It was a short conversation. Now, if you could please see everyone back in, we need to discuss this path that we find ourselves on.” The ponies, dragon and human found seating and waited expectantly for Celestia to continue. “Dr. Ross, as you have more experience with this research, do you believe that another means of protecting humans from thaumatic radiation can be found?”

Dr. Ross paused nervously, something about the way Celestia asked the question raising the hair on the back of her neck. “Well, I believe that it could be possible, if we put enough effort into it…”

“Dr. Ross, there is no need for dissembling, I understand that this development frightens you. To speak honestly, it worries me as well. But given that it has presented itself as a possibility, should we not at least consider it?”

“It doesn’t matter, even if I did want to, and I’m not saying that I do, President Foster has already dismissed it as an option.” Dr. Ross said lamely.

“I will speak with President Foster.” Celestia said firmly. “This may well allow you to save your species Elizabeth. If it is help you require we will of course provide…”

Elizabeth’s brown eyes flashed as she squared her shoulders. “Now listen here. It’s not about needing any damn help and you know it. It’s the simple fact that this ‘solution’ means effectively signing away our humanity!” She stormed to the window, looking out at the traffic passing by. She was furious that the ponies would even seriously consider such an option viable. But to dismiss it… she imagined the alternative as nine billion plus humans died to thaumatic radiation poisoning and shuddered. And there was that tiny voice whispering in her ear that if she was able to do this, and it worked, she’d be the literal savior of humanity. Her brain raged back and forth against itself before the inevitable decision was made. With a sigh, she turned back to face the alicorn, the six ponies and one dragon behind her.

“I’ll do it. But, there are conditions. The research will be done on my terms, and any final iteration of this ‘serum’ will be thoroughly tested before we even think about using it on humans. Do you agree to these conditions?”

Celestia nodded somberly, the weight of the moment suddenly tangible to every being present in the room. “I do accept your terms Elizabeth Ross, and thank you for being willing to go through with this.”

“Don’t thank me.” She said, turning back to look out the window. “I’m still not sure if I’ll deserve it for what we’re about to do.” Outside, the evening rush hour of Los Angeles wound its way home, the golden glow of the setting sun making the scene almost picturesque.

---

“Mr. President?”

Foster looked up from his desk to see the agent listening intently to his earpiece. “What is it?”

“It appears Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have appeared in the Rose Garden, and are asking if you would speak with them there. What do you want to do?”

“Well, this is certainly peculiar. Did they say what they want to talk about?”

“No sir.”

“Alright then, let’s go see what they want.” Foster got to his feet and straightened his tie.

“Roger that. Touchdown moving to the gardens.” The agent led Foster through the hallways and out the side door to the garden. He could see the two princesses admiring some of the flowers and had to repress a grin as Luna took an experimental bite of a rose bloom.

“Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, it is a pleasure to see you both. Though I admit I am surprised that both of you are here. What’s the trouble?” he said jokingly, but immediately felt his stomach twist as both alicorns turned their gazes to him.

“I am afraid that this isn’t a social visit, President Foster.” Luna said quietly. “May we speak in private?” She inclined her head toward the agent, who tensed slightly.

“It’s alright; wait by the doors please.” Foster said, his eyes narrowing a little as he returned their stares. “So what’s going on?”

“We are here to discuss the turn that Dr. Elizabeth Ross’ research has taken. You have received a report of it, correct?” Celestia asked calmly.

“I believe I received a report of another failure, and encouraged her to continue her efforts.”

“What you deem a failure may have inadvertently revealed the means to save your species.” Luna replied.

“So I take it you heard about it then as well?” Foster’s genial smile started to fade.

“That we did, and spoke directly with Dr. Ross. She informs us that you have ordered her to ignore this possibility and look elsewhere. We are here to request that you allow her to continue down this path.” Celestia stated firmly.

Foster turned away from the alicorns, tapping his right foot on the ground as he tried to control both his anger and the sudden nausea in the pit of his stomach. “Do you even realize precisely what you are asking?”

“We do,” Both alicorns answered as one, and Celestia continued speaking, “and we know the difficulty present in allowing such a possibility to be considered…”

“I don’t think you do, either of you. It’s not your species on the verge of extinction after all.” Foster said wryly, rounding on the two. “Did you honestly expect me to think of something like this as an option? I’d be signing the death warrant for nine billion humans if we were to go through with this!”

“And you’ll sign their death warrants just as easily by doing nothing? Are you truly that arrogant that you believe yourself capable of making that choice for each human on this planet?” Luna’s eyes darkened as she took a step forward, her mane beginning to roil as if in a sudden gust. “I have plenty of experience with that form of arrogance President Foster, and trust me - no good comes of it. We do not ask that you abandon other efforts to search for a solution, but do not allow your pride to throw away one possibility that shows more promise than any other tried these past three months!”

Celestia touched her sister gently with a wing, and Luna took a few steps away, staring up into the sky. “I apologize for my sister’s outburst, but her words are no less true. I have spoken with you often Foster and I know that you care for the people you lead. This choice is one that no leader should have to make, but we are here right now. If you choose to deny this as an option and no other solution is found in time, then every human everywhere will die. Is it not better to try all options, even if one is distasteful?”

Foster stared levelly at the alicorn. “What will you do if I say no?”

“Nothing. The decision to support Dr. Ross’ research is yours alone. However, simply because you abandon it as an option does not mean we will do the same. I swore to you three months ago that we would do anything within our power to help, and I intend to keep that oath.” Celestia said resolutely.

“God damnit…” Foster trailed off as he began to pace. He wondered if God really was standing overhead laughing at him as He laid impossible choice after choice on his shoulders. He didn’t want to contemplate the option that Dr. Ross had implied, but Celestia was right. Saving his species had to be his priority, no matter what. And regardless, as hard as it would be to convince Congress to go ahead with the research, he likewise didn’t want to be kept out of the loop entirely. “Very well Celestia, however there are certain conditions that I will require. First, this is taking place on United States soil, so it will be done subject to our laws. Second, I will receive copies of any communications from the facility. And I do mean all of them. Finally, if another solution is found, all research at this facility is immediately terminated.”

“Your terms are harsh, but acceptable Tyler. I wish as well that another solution can be found, but given the deadline looming in our near future, I am afraid this may well be the only option available to us.”

“So nice of you to say so…” Foster muttered darkly. “Well, if you’ll excuse me, I need to figure out how to tell the people that their only hope of survival may be to become ponies.”

“If you require assistance, you need only ask,” Luna said as she and Celestia spread their wings. Reaching a safe altitude with a few flaps, they shimmered and disappeared.

Foster sighed and walked slowly back to the door. “I want Curtis in my office right now. Also get me the Joint Chiefs, both leaders of Congress, and the Chief Justice on a conference call as soon as possible. There’s going to be a lot of work to be done to make sure this doesn’t come back to bite us.”

“Right away sir,” the agent replied, speaking rapidly into his wrist radio.