• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 20,177 Views, 388 Comments

Boast Busted - RainbowDoubleDash



A sort of reverse of Boast Busters. Read the long description

  • ...
48
 388
 20,177

1. The Show Must Go On!

Trixie used her forelegs to point to her horn. “Now, you will note that my horn does not glow,” she said, as she took off her cape, and held it up like she was facing a charging bull. With a flourish, she swung the cape around and clasped it back around her neck – but more importantly, the section of the stage that the cape had been obscuring from the audience’s view, which had once been empty, now had a table on it, loaded down with various trinkets and sundries. It had appeared from seemingly nowhere, all despite Trixie’s horn not glowing. She heard an appreciative hoof-stomp from the ‘crowd.’

“For my next trick, the Great and Powerful Trixie will require a volunteer from the audience!”

There was a long, pregnant silence. The Element of Magic’s eyes narrowed somewhat, as she took a few steps forward. “Lyra, that means you,” she informed her friend.

The mint green unicorn stared back at Trixie, blinking a few times. “Me?” she asked.

“You,” Trixie confirmed.

“Why not somepony else?”

Trixie tapped her forehoof on the stage impatiently. “Because there is nopony else,” she reminded the pony, using a hoof to gesture to an otherwise entirely empty auditorium Trixie was practicing in. “You’re my test audience, meaning you’re my audience volunteer.”

Lyra Heartstrings blinked a few times, her hooves absent-mindedly plucking a few notes on her lyre as she laughed nervously. “Yeah, well…”

“You can’t still be mad at me for turning you into – ”

“No!” Lyra interrupted quickly. She looked at her front hooves. “No, I’m over it. But I don’t want it to happen again.” Somehow, her tone of voice seemed to suggest that she was trying to convince herself of that fact more than Trixie.

Trixie whickered a little in impatience. “Well, I promise you that’s not going to happen. This is all sleight-of-hoof. Smoke and mirrors. A little telekinesis, but that’s it.”

Lyra let out a sigh, setting down her lyre and trotting up onto the stage. Trixie smiled, falling back into character. “What a brave volunteer!” she exclaimed.

“Wait, brave?” Lyra asked as she reached Trixie’s side. “Why do I have to be brave?”

“Hush,” Trixie responded. With a flourish from her cape, she trotted over to her table and selected a deck of oversized playing cards; with another overly dramatic movement, she used her telekinesis to spread the selection of fifty-two cards before Lyra.

“Pick a card,” Trixie commanded, echoing countless magicians before her, “any card! Show the audience but do not show the Great and Powerful Trixie!” She turned away, while putting her hooves to her head as though she were focusing on some deep mystery of the universe.

“…So, what, I just show this to an empty auditorium?” Lyra asked from behind Trixie.

“It’s not empty, it’s full of hundreds of adoring fans!” Trixie exclaimed. After a moment, she added “but yes. Tell me when you’re done.”

A few seconds later, Lyra confirmed that she had done as the other unicorn had asked. Trixie grinned, using her telekinesis to shuffle the cards together without looking, then turning around. “Alright,” she said, placing the cards on top of Lyra’s head and smiling as she did so, balancing them with magic. Behind her, she drew her next item from the table with telekinesis – a long, thin stiletto.

“Uh,” Lyra objected as Trixie turned to her with a maniacal grin. “What are you…?”

“Now hold very still, my brave volunteer!” Trixie exclaimed as she flourished the knife for her imaginary audience. “The Great and Powerful Trixie – ”

“Is completely insane if you’re planning on doing what I think you’re planning on doing!” Lyra exclaimed, eyes wide as she looked between the knife and the cards balanced on her head.

Trixie groaned. “Come on, Lyra!” Trixie tried. “The show is always so much greater when it looks like somepony’s life is at stake!”

“No.”

“I’ve practiced this a hundred – ”

“No!”

“You’re not in any real – ”

No!

Trixie sighed. “Fine,” she said. “We do this the boring way. Toss the cards high into the air.”

The Element of Loyalty grasped the cards in her own golden-hued telekinetic aura, and did so. With a sigh, Trixie watched them fall, before picking out one and throwing her stiletto point first at it. The knife flew straight and true through the center of the card, and flew forward before embedding itself an inch into a wooden wall. Trixie’s telekinesis reached out and grabbed the stiletto and the card it had impaled, keeping it face down and away from Lyra, Trixie herself, and ‘the audience.’

“Now, my dull and uninteresting volunteer,” Trixie said, before holding up the oversized card at such an angle that Lyra and “the audience” could see it, but still not Trixie. “Tell the Great and Powerful Trixie: was this your card?”

Lyra stared at it. “That could have been my head,” she pointed out.

“Yes, yes, yes, your best friend nearly killed you. It happens. Now was this card yours?”

Lyra blinked a few times. “I think?”

Trixie turned to stare at Lyra, and the impaled two of hearts that the mint green unicorn had selected. “You think?” she demanded.

“I don’t know! Nearly being stabbed to death kind of makes me forget the small things!”

Trixie let out a long sigh. “The answer is yes, Lyra. This card was your card.”

“You sure?”

“Pretty sure.”

“But not totally sure.”

Trixie groaned. “For my next trick…” she began…

---

My little pony, My little pony
Ahh ahh ahh ahhh...
My little pony
Friendship never meant that much to me
My little pony
But you're all here and now I can see
Stormy weather; Lots to share
A musical bond; With love and care
Teaching laughter; It's an easy feat,
And magic makes it all complete!
You have my little ponies
How'd I ever make so many true friends?

---

“To be fair to Lyra,” Raindrops called down to Trixie as she used her wings to disperse the last of the clouds in her section of the sky, floating over a hill that looked down upon Ponyville, “you did turn her into – ”

“Okay, first,” Trixie interrupted, holding up a hoof to stop the jasmine-coated pegasus, “that was an accident. Second, it wasn’t permanent. Third, that was a spell gone awry. It wasn’t part of my magic act.” She sat back on her haunches and crossed her hooves in front of her. “All I’m asking for is a little trust, that’s all.”

Raindrops groaned as she let herself drift down next to Trixie. “Do not get me started on trust,” she moaned, lying down on her stomach and letting out a long sigh. She was breathing heavily from long hours of practically working her hooves down to the quick.

Trixie stared. “Rainbow Dash again?” she asked. Raindrops waved a hoof, as though it should have been obvious. “I don’t understand how she’s weather team manager still,” the blue unicorn admitted.

“Well,” Raindrops said, rolling over onto her back, “when she finally does get around to actually working, I don’t think there’s anyone in Equestria who can clear a sky faster.” She waved around to the now-clear, sunny spring sky. “I’ve seen her clear an entire sky full of clouds in ten seconds flat. Plus she always gets the weather schedule right and up on time. Somehow.”

“Yeah, but what use is that if she’s always goofing off? Should she really be manager?”

The Element of Honesty waved a hoof again as she closed her eyes, yawning. “No,” she confirmed after a moment. “But that’s what we’re stuck with.”

“You could be weather manager.”

“Ha!” Raindrops exclaimed without opening her eyes. “No.”

“I’m serious.”

“So am I. It’s not happening. I have to work hard enough as-is.”

Trixie supposed she could understand that. With Rainbow Dash, a cyan pegasus with a rainbow-hued mane and tail, constantly either sleeping in or practicing tricks to try and get into the Wonderbolts, Raindrops was practically the weather manager for Ponyville already, aside from writing up the weather schedule.

Trixie settled down on her stomach next to her friend, watching absentmindedly as she spotted a lavender unicorn that was pulling a large wagon laden with, from the looks of things, books, heading into Ponyville. Probably another traveler looking to come to Ponyville’s Eventime festival, celebrating the time in spring when the day and the night were exactly the same length. Speaking of which…

“You’ll be at the Eventime festival tonight, right?” Trixie asked. At a nod from Raindrops, Trixie continued. “Will you be coming to my magic show?”

“Wouldn’t miss it,” Raindrops promised, opening one eye. “Let’s just hope it goes better than the last time we tried to have a celebration here…”

Trixie grimaced at the reminder, glancing nervously up at the sun as she did so, despite knowing that this was silly as Corona wasn’t in the sun – not anymore, anyway. “I’m sure it will,” she said. “It’s only been a few months; Princess Luna said that Corona will need a long time to recover.”

“Yeah, well, let’s hope so,” Raindrops said, closing her eyes.

---

Trixie had discovered at an early age that she had the opposite of stage fright. She loved to be in front of an adoring crowd, loved having all eyes on her, loved trying to both meet and challenge the judging eyes of an audience. She was an extrovert in the extreme, and nothing made her happier than a captive audience.

Especially if that captive audience was nine-tenths a collection of fillies and colts. Those two special groups of ponies tended to look at Trixie bedecked in her cape and hat and reach two conclusions: one, she was a magician, and two, that made her completely trustworthy while she was on a stage. Even if she was brandishing a knife at them.

Ha!” Trixie exclaimed as she drew back the stiletto from the colt’s head with her telekinesis. Her knife had only poked a single card, the one on top, but when she saw the look on the colt’s face, she knew she had succeeded without even asking.

Nevertheless, she slid the stiletto from the card and held it high up with magic, so that both the audience and the colt, Archer, could see it. “Tell me, my brave little pony,” Trixie said, rearing up on her hind legs and gesturing to the five of diamonds, “was this your card?”

“Yes!” the colt exclaimed in surprise. Trixie could see his mind turning, trying to figure out how she had performed her magic trick and coming up with nothing. Trixie pulled her magician’s hat down over her eyes as she bowed to the enthusiastic hoof-stomps of her captive audience, and then encouraged Archer to bow as well.

“Was there ever any doubt?” Trixie asked, to which she got an enthusiastic no! in response.

So far, the Eventime celebration was going wonderfully. Starting a few hours ago, just as Luna had begun lowering the sun beyond the horizon, the town center of Ponyville had quickly filled up with stalls and vendors and sights to be seen. By far the largest of the food vending stalls belonged to the Apple clan – Trixie suppressed a scowl at that thought as she remembered how that family, or at least Applejack, their nominal head, had acted back during the Longest Night celebration – but other families and businesses had representation as well, most importantly for Trixie, Carrot Top, another of the blue unicorn’s friends, who was definitely benefiting from having taken part in saving all of Equestria from Corona some months back. With that act came recognition, and with recognition came carrot sales for the struggling farmer.

Trixie had begun setting up her stage about an hour before the sun had fully set, in full view of the town and with the set-up practically a show unto itself. When her show had actually begun, she had already had a large crowd of fillies and colts, and their parents, eagerly waiting for her to begin. That had been about two hours ago now, and her show was beginning to wind down. She had only one last trick, but it was a doozy.

Trixie forced herself back to the here and now as she gently shooed Archer from the stage, then looked back to the audience took off her hat, setting off a series of small fireworks and streamers by stomping her hoof on the proper location on her stage while simultaneously making absolutely sure that the ponies saw that her horn wasn’t glowing. “Trixie will require another volunteer for her next, and final, astounding demonstration!”

Dozens of hooves shot up in the air, sometimes a couple of which belonged to the same pony. Trixie made a show of trying to decide, before picking her inevitable, chosen-before-the-show-even-began choice. “You!” she exclaimed, pointing to a gray-coated unicorn filly with a blond mane, named Dinky Doo. The unicorn put on a good show of looking surprised that she had been chosen, and quickly made her way up onto the stage. Once there, she waved back at her mother, Ditzy Doo, a pegasus with similar coat and mane colorings.

“Is that your mother?” Trixie asked in her show-voice, despite knowing the answer. Dinky nodded furiously, and Trixie put a hoof to her mouth, looking deeply concerned. “Ooh, I don’t know…” she said as part of a well-rehearsed script with Dinky, as she slipped her hat back on. “I know your mother, and if this next trick goes poorly she might have some strong words for the Great and Powerful Trixie…”

“I’m not afraid!” Dinky proclaimed loudly.

“Well of course not, you’re still here,” Trixie said as she took off and swung off her cape in a great flourish. “But not for long!” She passed her cape over Dinky and stepped before the filly even as the gray unicorn made use of a spring-loaded trap door ready and waiting for her. By the time Trixie once more put her cape around her neck, barely a second later, Dinky was nowhere to be found.

Ditzy Doo shot into the air, a look of false panic on her face. “My muffin!” she exclaimed, though one of her eyes winked at Trixie.

“Not to worry, Ditzy Doo!” Trixie said, holding up her hooves. “She’s quite alright! …probably,” Trixie added slyly. She turned to the spot where Dinky had disappeared and started waving her hooves in an arcane manner. “Alakazam…” she intoned. “Alakazoo…come on back Dinky Doo!” There was a puff of smoke from the stage – but when it cleared, Dinky Doo was nowhere to be seen.

Trixie opened her mouth to voice some false concern – the show called for Trixie to look worried that Dinky was lost forever – but she was suddenly interrupted from a voice originating in the rear of the crowd.

This isn’t magic!” the voice exclaimed.

Trixie blinked a few times, glancing out to the audience. There, in the very back, was a lavender-coated unicorn, with a dark blue mane and tail, each of which had a single pink and purple stripe running through them. She looked angry and…disappointed? Why was she disappointed? Trixie recognized the mare in a moment – it was the same one she had seen coming into Ponyville earlier – but she couldn’t help but think that she knew the mare from somewhere else, as well…

The blue unicorn turned to regard the lavender one. “Oh?” she asked. “Is there a naysayer in the audience?” Trixie asked. “Somepony who doubts the astounding skills of the Great and Powerful Trixie?”

The lavender unicorn looked about ready to speak again, when she seemed to suddenly become aware of all eyes in the audience upon her, with a lot of fillies and colts looking very annoyed at the show being interrupted – almost as annoyed as Trixie, herself. She lowered her head in a gesture of apology. “Sorry…” she mouthed.

Trixie turned back to the stage, putting a hoof to her mouth and repeating the phrase the show must go on over and over in her head. “Now then, where was I…?” she wondered. “Ah, yes! Saving Dinky Doo from the ravages of the Fifth Dimension!

There was a slight delay before Ditzy Doo remembered her line. “R-ravages?” asked the Element of Kindness, eyes wide. She put a hoof to her head and pretended to faint dead away, though the speed of her fall – and the fact that she caught herself – clearly showed that it was all an act to anyone looking at her.

“Not to worry!” Trixie exclaimed, taking off her hat and cape entirely. “Though it take all of my power, I will save Dinky!” She flicked her mane, releasing a small capsule hidden there and setting off a smoke bomb that obscured the stage, allowing her to slip down the very same trap door that Dinky had. It was a tight fit, but she easily found the filly sitting at the far end of under the stage, waiting next to a step ladder that would take her up behind the curtains.

“Momma isn’t worried, is she?” Dinky asked, a look of deep concern on her large eyes. “Is that why you took longer than you said to get here?”

“Not at all, kiddo,” Trixie assured the foal as the two climbed up the step ladder and behind the stage. “Just had a little problem with somepony trying to ruin the show.” She trotted up to a specially-placed hole in the curtain, horn glowing. While her cutie mark – a blue nebula with a star-tipped magic wand overlaying it – showed that her special talent was magic in general, Trixie had always felt most comfortable with illusion spells. On stage – just as the fillies and colts of the crowd were beginning to look concerned – a large circle, ten feet in diameter, began to form in thin air, standing vertically. Once the circle was finished, five lines shot around inside of it, forming a star, and then the points of the star were connected by a pentagon. With a flash, the arcane mark seemed to collapse in on itself, revealing on its other side what looked to the audience like a dark and desolate world, all twisted, barren rock, with a star-studded night sky.

Trixie grimaced a little as she made the glamor even more complicated. An illusion of herself appeared on the other side of the “portal to the Fifth Dimension,” climbing over a rock face and carrying Dinky Doo on her back. The illusory copy made a mad dash for the “portal.”

At length, Trixie added a final touch – a horrific, green-scaled monster, like a cross between a dragon and a centipede, came into view, nostrils exhaling starry smoke and eyes burning with cold fire and hate.

Trixie put a last bit of magic into her illusion, willing it to keep existing and playing until she and Dinky passed through it. There were cries of surprise and a little fear from the audience, but by far what Trixie and Dinky Doo heard most of was cries of excitement and encouragement for Trixie to keep running.

The blue unicorn got down on her stomach. “Okay, fifteen seconds,” Trixie said as Dinky climbed onto her back. “What’s it like to be on stage?”

“Great!” Dinky replied, smiling. “I love it!”

“Okay, but you have to look worried,” Trixie instructed the unicorn filly. “Remember, there’s a monster chasing you and trying to gobble you up!”

Dinky laughed a moment, before a look of comic fright appeared on her face. She was clearly having a hard time holding it, but then again her back would be largely turned from the audience for the finale. Trixie backed up a few steps, before charging forward and leaping straight through her illusory portal, just as her copy in the illusion seemed to be doing so. She landed skidding but on her four feet, turning quickly to the portal as Dinky Doo slid off of her back.

Oh no!” Dinky exclaimed loudly, doing her best to sound serious. “The portal is still open! That monster is going to get us!”

“Not to worry!” Trixie said as she reared up on her hind legs, pushing Dinky behind her and gesturing at the portal. “Abra! Kadabra! Alakazam!” Trixie threw her hooves forward, and lightning appeared to shoot from them and her horn at the portal just as the horrific monster on the other side reached it. With a loud pop, the illusion disappeared, though not before the monster on the other side let out a howl of rage.

Dinky made a show of panting heavily, while Trixie actually was – maintaining such a complicated illusion for even so short an amount of time was hard work. The two turned to the audience, and found them stunned silent, eyes wide. It was a kind of silence that Trixie knew well at this point, however, and so she wasn’t worried, nor was she surprised when the audience burst out into whoops and cheers and hoof-stomps. Trixie retrieved her hat and cape from the stage and bowed deeply, while Dinky tried to, but she found herself swiftly being scooped up by a gray blur as her mother flew up on stage and collected the little filly in a tight hug.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, you have been a wonderful audience!” Trixie proclaimed with another deep bow. “This is the end of the Great and Powerful Trixie’s show. Enjoy the rest of the Eventime festival!”

There were some slight boos from the crowd, but they were the boos of a crowd that wished the show hadn’t needed to end rather than that of a dissatisfied crowd – the kind of boos that a performer longed for rather than feared.

There was one exception. The lavender unicorn still sat in the back of the crowd, staring at Trixie. Her look of disappointment hadn’t disappeared, and though she wasn’t booing or making her displeasure otherwise known, she wasn’t cheering or even giving a polite hoof-stomp.

Trixie chose to ignore her as gave a final bow before disappearing backstage. She was quickly joined by Ditzy Doo, who had Dinky riding on her back. “That was amazing, Trixie,” Ditzy said, smiling widely. She was just as excited as her filly, if her eyes were anything to go by – Ditzy Doo had wandering eyes. With focus and effort, she could make her eyes look in one direction, but in her normal state – and especially if she was excited or distracted – her eyes had a tendency to drift apart, each looking outwards. It had been a difficult thing to get used to, mostly due to Trixie not being sure which eye to look into when talking to the pegasus when she’d first met the mail mare and dedicated mother, but over the past few months she’d been able to overcome the issue and looked at the bridge of Ditzy Doo’s nose.

“Thanks,” Trixie responded, as she took off her hat and shook her mane. She looked to Dinky Doo. “And I owe you, my excellent assistant, a whole tray of muffins.” She paused, and frowned. “Though you seem to always be eating them. You sure you don’t want, I dunno, cake, or something else?”

Dinky emphatically shook her head. “Nope!” she announced with utter confidence.

“Okay,” Trixie said, smiling as she looked back to Ditzy Doo. “And thanks for letting me borrow your filly and send her to the Fifth Dimension.”

“Also known as under the stage,” Ditzy said with a laugh, tapping her rear hoof on the wooden planks under her. Trixie winced slightly – Ditzy was strong, sometimes stronger than she realized – but the stage didn’t give out under them. “Can’t wait for the next show, Trixie. Can Dinky be in that one too?”

“Of course!” Trixie promised with a wink at the filly sitting atop Ditzy Doo. “All sorcerers need an assistant!”

“But you’re not a sorcerer!”

Trixie, Ditzy, and Dinky all blinked at the new voice. Trixie looked past the two gray-coated ponies and to the stage’s curtains, where a new pony had entered – the lavender-coated unicorn that had interrupted Trixie’s magic act. The look of disappointment – and a little bit of annoyance – was still plastered on her face.

“Hey!” Dinky Doo objected, raising her right front hoof as she made her point. “You can’t come backstage! Trixie told me only performers are allowed backstage! And performer’s mommas!”

Ditzy’s wings fluttered as she moved next to Trixie. “Do you know her?” she asked.

Trixie blinked a few times. She did know this lavender unicorn from somewhere, but for the life of her couldn’t remember where. She decided to shake her head. “Not off the top of my head, no,” she said, as she took a step towards the mare that seemed determined to ruin her Eventide. “Look, I’ve just had a long show, and the Eventime festival is wasting. So whatever your problem is, can’t it wait?”

The lavender unicorn scuffed a hoof on the stage beneath her. “No, it really can’t,” she said. “I came here all the way from Manehattan to see you and talk to you, Trixie Lulamoon.”

Trixie winced at the usage of her second name. She hated it, with a fiery passion that Corona herself would have envied. “Just Trixie,” she insisted. “And what did you want to talk to me about? Was it really so bad that you felt the need to interrupt my show?”

“Yes,” the unicorn said firmly. “See, I’ve been wandering around Equestria, learning everything I can about magic. Magic’s my special talent,” she said, turning to the side somewhat to display her flank, and her cutie mark – a six-pointed pink star, surrounded by five white stars. “So when I heard a few months back that Corona had escaped her imprisonment in the sun, but then was driven off by the Elements of Harmony, directed by a unicorn who’s special talent was also magic, and who even earned the Element of Magic, and who had been Princess Luna’s personal apprentice, I had to come to Ponyville to meet you.” She sat back on her haunches, an arch look on her face. “And I’ve gotta say, I am not impressed.”

Trixie glared at the lavender unicorn. “Who are you?” she demanded.

The lavender unicorn put a hoof to her chest in pride. “I’m Twilight Sparkle.”