• Published 14th Sep 2013
  • 3,568 Views, 662 Comments

The Poly Little Pony - Chatoyance



Polymorphic Stories of Today and Tomorrow: a collection of varied and diverse pony short stories.

  • ...
 662
 3,568

The Day Rinnie Woke Up

In my Pony Singularity stories, humans live beside superadvanced artificial general intelligences. The A.I.'s live a virtual existence, for the most part, within computronium that has replaced much of the world, appearing as white, smooth, camera-covered blocky mountains and outcroppings bursting through the ground. Occasionally they detach and float through the air, like machine clouds.

Humans have the option to upload and live as ponies, either in a virtual Equestria, or in manufactured robotic pony bodies. Humans who refuse to upload live either in simple, rural, eighteenth-century farming villages, or in the few remaining cities - exceptionally high-technology enclaves with Beanstalk access to space and beyond. All humans must obey the absolute law of the A.I.'s - no violence, no weapons, being ecologically sound in every way, living lightly on the earth, and kindly with each other.

Humanity will never again be the master of its own fate, but there are many compensations. One of those is immortality, if it is desired. This immortality can come through uploading, but it is also granted to those who choose to remain living in fragile meat bodies. Because all physical things are eventually destroyed by time and accident, the solution is the recording of consciousness and memory in case of catastrophe.

Wondrous and desirable as this is, it is something that is not without a degree existential concern. The question of what it means to be is complicated and multifaceted, as one little human girl shall discover upon...

══════════════════════════
T H E P O N Y S I N G U L A R I T Y
══════════════════════════

The Day Rinnie Woke Up

By Chatoyance

"So this is your very first Backup, is that right?” The machine-pony in the white lab coat smiled.

Rinnie nodded, too nervous to speak. The human-adapted smart chair she was in was huge and very technical looking and there was no doubt about the purpose of the massive section that would fit around the entirety of her head.

The hoof pat on Rinnie’s hand was followed by another smile. “It’s going to be alright… uh…” The lab-coated robotic pony checked her flexipad. The device stuck to her ceramic hoof through some technological miracle. “Marina. Hmm!” Another smile. “That’s a pretty name!”

“R-rinnie.” The nervous girl in the chair fiddled with her fingers as if exploring them for the first time. “I like being called ‘Rinnie’. All my mates call me that. ‘Marina’ sounds sorta fussy, y’know?”

“I like it, honestly. It's very Pony.” Another smile. Lab-coat adjusted some parts of the chair then sat up again. “My name’s Perihelion, by the way. Do you know what that is?"

Rinnie shook her head. Her neck hurt sharply from the effort, because she was so tense.

The mechanical pony doctor watched her patient as she rubbed her neck. "It's the point in the orbit of a planet where it is closest to it's star. Closest to the light!" The pony used a hoof to give Rinnie another gentle pat on her arm. "You can call me Peri, though, if you like."

"Peri?"

Peri nodded. "Since this is your very first Backup, there’s some things I’d like to go over. Newbie stuff - once you’ve been Restored the first time, you’ll be used to it.”

“I don’t think I could ever get used to any of this. It’s way weird. But I’m really scared of death. More scared than of this, you know?” Rinnie was clutching the arms of the big uploading chair, her fingernails white from the pressure.

“Everypony is, Rinnie. Everypony is.” Perihelion looked over her flexipad again. “But, really, this is not scary. Seriously!” Rinnie had a look of utter disbelief on her face. “I mean it. You’re being Backed-Up! That’s the safest thing there is in all the world. Well, next to being a pony like me. This is the one safe place for meatfolk, the one safe moment ever!

Rinnie did not appear convinced.

“Anything can happen at any time.” Peri was standing, adjusting the large head-covering machine to fit Rinnie more closely. “You could walk out of the Centre and trip and fall, and just like that, you’re dead. But here, in this chair, in this room, once you’re recorded and saved off, you’re… well, safe. Immortal, really. Nothing can ever kill you again.”

Perihelion trotted to the side of the room and used a hoof to lift a small cube off of a shelf. The cube was translucent, made of plastic panels with writing covering it, and various slots for neural-cable plugs and other connections. “You get stored in one of these. Not this one, this is just for demonstration. Everything about you - your thoughts, your dreams, every little memory, all your wishes and fears, your soul, really - everything you are is saved off nice and securely in an MMD just like this one. Molecular Memory Device. Then it’s put into a vault filled with nitrogen to protect it from any damage ever, and you are one-hundred percent safe, forever!”

“If… if I die… then the A.I.'s grow a whole new body for me, and all that stuff gets put into it. My memories and stuff. Then I wake up again, right?” Rinnie held the little cube now. It was about fifteen centimeters on a side and fairly heavy.

“When you die. Every meatfolk does. All meatfolk will. You will, someday. Somehow. That’s why you’re here. In the old days, meatfolk just died. That was it. Gone forever. But with Backups, you can come back. You can get a fresh, young body. Any kind of body - even a pony body, if you want - I'm not trying to be pushy, I'm just saying that you could - and then you can continue, just like a game. You like games, Rinnie?”

Rinnie grinned. “Yeah. Me and my mate Sri, we play all kinds of things. I like Everworld, with all the exploring and magic and stuff.”

“Well, this is just that. Life is like a game, and just like you would save off your progress in your game, you’re saving off your personal, real-world progress now.” This was familiar territory for Peri. She liked using games as an analogy. It was so much easier dealing with the meatfolk who chose to live in the advanced machine cities. There was a common basis for understanding. It was a lot harder with rural types that chose to backup. Fortunately, such situations were fairly rare.

This seemed to resonate with the young woman. Rinnie visibly relaxed. “Yeah. Just saving my game. That’s all.” Rinnie’s fingernails went pink again as her grip released. “Savin’ my game!”

“Alright then. We’re just about ready to begin.” Perihelion hovered her hoof over her flexpad and used the ceramic-like edge to tap a few icons. “I need to do one last thing, though, again, because it’s your very first time. I have to give you the Talk.”

“The talk?” Rinnie had no idea what Peri meant.

“Yes. It’s a standard thing. Recommended procedure. Plus, it will really help you. Just relax, it’s not that long.” Perihelion put her flexpad on the short, wheeled table near the chair.

“I am going to explain what you will experience, and what it will all be like. This will help you deal with it all. So pay close attention, and feel free to ask questions if you need to, okay?”

“Okay.” Rinnie moved her hand across the antiseptic, white armrest.

“You’ll lay back, and get comfortable, and then the neural scanner goes over your head. It’s not as scary as it looks. It’s big like that because it needs lots of tubes to cool off the components inside down to way below freezing.” The look on Rinnie’s face almost made Peri laugh. “No, no… it won’t freeze your head or anything. It won’t even feel icy. The components inside need to be very low-temperature to read your brain accurately is all. Keeping the equipment super-cold makes it really accurate, which is what you want when you are copying a living brain.”

“So… what happens to me, then?”

Perihelion smiled. “Like I said, we lay you back, and you will get sleepy thanks to a little patch I will put on your foreleg. It will make you go to sleep. When you are all the way out, we scan your brain, and store the result. It takes about an hour. After an hour and a half, the patch wears off, and you wake up.”

The human girl thought for a moment. “That seems pretty simple. It won’t hurt will it? I mean… I won’t have a headache after or anything?” Rinnie had been told by one of her classmates that the scanning gave people headaches and did all kinds of awful things.

“No, no. In fact, you will feel better than you ever have before in your life.” Peri’s muzzle had an odd expression. “And... that’s part of what the Talk is about. Now just listen for a bit, alright?”

Rinnie nodded.

“Being Backed-Up can be a little weird, and I need to prepare you for that. You see, when you wake up, after being scanned, things are going to be different. Not you, usually, but everything else. The world will be different.”

Rinnie was confused. “The world? What?”

Perihelion nodded. “Yes. This room - it could be different. It could be an entirely different room. I probably won’t be here when you wake up. There will be somepony else sitting here, maybe even one of the greater A.I.s! Or, your family might be here. You might even wake up in an entirely different location."

The machine-pony moved closer. “You see, Rinnie, getting Backed-Up is sort of like getting to ride in a time machine.”

“A time machine?” This was very strange, and Rinnie had not heard anything like this before.

“Yes. When you wake up, it could be any time in the future. It could be later today, or next week, or even many years from now.” Peri studied the uncertain look on her patient’s face.

“Seriously. When you wake up, it could be ten years from now. It could be a century. Or several. You get to travel in time, to see the future. But you can never go back.”

“I don’t understand. I thought this was just preserving my brain!” Rinnie felt a chill go up her back, and the little hairs stood up on the back of her neck.

“It is that, Rinnie. We’re preserving your mind, that’s all this is. But the reason we back up minds is because meat-life is dangerous. Existence is dangerous. And we all die, in the end. Even ponies and A.I.'s do if they are physical, if they are outside the System, in meatspace. Bodies wear out, or an accident will happen. No matter what, we all die sometimes. It's just the roll of the dice. So… when you wake up, it will be after you have died. You will lay down, go to sleep, and when you wake up it will be sometime in the future, and… you will have died in the past.”

Rinnie sat in the chair, a stunned expression creeping about her face. She shook her head slightly, and then looked at Peri. “You’re going to kill me?”

“No, oh, heavens no!” Perihelion shook her large head, and put a fetlock over Rinnie’s arm. “You signed the No-Termination clause. This isn’t a reboot or an uploading. This is just a standard meat-backup. Nopony is terminating you today.”

“But you said that when I wake up, I’ll be dead!” Rinnie was not happy about the morbid nature of what she had just heard.

“Everything you are, is going to be preserved, suspended, in a MMD.” Peri lifted the cubical device once more, and held it out. It clung to her hoof. “For you, it will be like you are frozen in time. Time will pass, though you won't feel it, and when you wake up, it will be the future. You will have already lived your life, but you won’t remember it. You won’t remember anything that happened to you after you get that patch put on your arm.

“You may wake up to meet your own grand-children. You won’t know them. You won’t remember having had children, or anything that happened. But they will know you, and they will remember having lived a life with you. You may have a partner, a spouse. Anything you might have done will have already been done, only you won’t remember it.

“The last thing you will remember, is me, sitting here with you, and going to sleep. Do you understand?” Perihelion had put down the memory module, and had once again draped her fetlock across Rinnie’s arm.

“No. I don’t understand. How… what…?” The girl looked around, as if the walls or the ceiling might somehow hold a clue. “Why don’t I just wake up and go about my day? I have handball this afternoon with Sri! Why do I die? I don’t understand any of this!

Peri sighed. “You will. You will wake up, leave the Centre, and go play ball. You’ll live your life normally. That is true.”

“You just said I’m gonna wake up in the future, and that I’ll be dead!” Rinnie didn’t entirely look like she might cry, but it was close.

“Rinnie…. Rinnie. You do both.” The look was daggers. “Seriously. You do both. It’s not that hard to understand. Games, right? You play games. Multiple saves. When I play a game, I sometimes have multiple saves. So I don’t lose anything, right?”

Rinnie tried to follow.

“This is sort of like that. Sort of.” The first time was always the hardest for meatfolk. “We’re going to scan your brain, and make a game save. That save will be frozen. It won’t change. You will wake up and go about your life, until the day you die. Then we take the ‘game save’ and download it into a fresh new body. That is when you wake up, after your death. That is when you are resurrected, and get to be alive again.”

Perihelion raised her foreleg and brushed her artificial mane away from her camera eyes. She noticed that her foreleg needed maintenance soon. The plastic hide and fake fur around the base of it had become ragged and thin. Everything wore out in meatspace. “The you in the future can only remember or know whatever we save off now. It can’t know anything after that point. We are saving you off as you are right now, in this moment. That is what you will remember when you are resurrected.”

Rinnie shook her head. “You told me that I would wake up in the future, and all that ‘time machine’ stuff, and how I would be meeting my grandkids and… now you’re saying none of that is true and that I’ll just go about my life and…”

Peri put a hoof to her muzzle. “Shhh…” Rinnie got the hint. “I guess you could think of it as if there were two ‘you’s. One leaves this room and goes on. The other is stored for later. One day, the you that leaves here will die. That’s when the you, now, the you I am talking to right this minute, gets to live. Both are you. Really you. It’s just that the Rinnie that gets saved off can’t know what the other you does after that point.

“It’s just like saving your game, and then playing on for a few hours, only something goes wrong, and you lose your progress, and have to re-load. Just like that. Except… that any changes you made to the world, they stay. Your character is gone, but all the stuff you did remains. Does that make sense?” Perihelion thought for a moment. "You don't lose any progress you made! When you reload... you get to keep your game progress. You just don't get to keep the memory of how you achieved it - you have to learn about that from others. Make sense?"

Rinnie thought for a moment. It was clear she understood now… she just didn’t particularly like what she was hearing.

“I… yeah. I think I get it right enough. But…” Rinnie was clutching the arm rests again. “It’s dead creepy! Really it is. There’s something about it all… I mean, I get that unless I do this, unless I get backed-up, I’m toast, I’m just gone forever but… The whole ‘two of me’ thing and…” Rinnie finally released her grip once more. “Why… why did you come at me with the whole ‘oh, you’re gonna wake up dead’ and everything speech? I don’t get that. Why say that to me? It’s scary… are you supposed to get me wound-up or something?”

Peri looked down for a moment, then back to her patient. “No. There is a purpose, a psychological value to telling you all of this in the way that I did. Understand - you - the you I am talking to right now - you are actually, really going to be waking up in the future. And waking up, knowing that you died, finding out that you’ve had a life and done all sorts of things… maybe even had grandchildren or moved to another part of the world - all of that can be very disturbing. It can be very difficult. So we tell you this, just this way, so that when it happens… you are prepared.”

“But what about the me that just walks out the door?”

Peri nodded. “I understand your confusion. I was meat once myself, a long time ago. That 'you' walks out knowing that she isn’t going to wake up in the future. It’s rough, I admit, to walk out, knowing that you are the one who is going to die someday. But… you have to understand… both are really you. That’s still you… the one that walks, and the one that waits.

“But the one that waits? That Rinnie is the one that will have the hardest time. Everything will be strange for her. The whole world might be different for her. For the you that walks outside today… just two hours will have passed. For the future you… everyone you know now might be… gone. Moved away. Different lives. There may be all sorts of folks telling her that she has always been a part of their lives! Everything is going to be strange. We have to be kind to that Rinnie. Do you understand?”

Rinnie just sat in the chair, and stared at the wall, at nothing in particular. Peri knew what she was going through. She could almost hear the girl’s mind ticking over, running through the impossible dilemma of it all.

“Have you ever been through this?” Rinnie was very shaken, now. She no longer clutched at the chair, or anything. She seemed strangely beaten.

Perihelion nodded, slowly. “Yes. Twice now. The first time was while I was still meat. That one was especially strange for me. The second one happened after I went pony. Like I said, even machine bodies can die. You get used to it though. Honest.”

Rinnie looked at the lab-coated robotic pony in front of her, at Peri, at this future-future Peri who had apparently died twice and lived to tell the tale. This... person... had been restored from backup, twice. Once as a human, and once as a pony. She had actually died before.

For a moment, Rinnie felt like she was in the presence of a ghost. Then she felt the soft, fuzzy foreleg on her forearm, and a cool patch numbing her skin.

“That’s the patch. In a moment you will feel very sleepy. And in a moment, you will walk out the door, and in a moment you will be in the future.” Perihelion smiled, but behind her smile was something complex, something indecipherable. It was the smile of a sphinx.

“Tha… tha… is sooo weird.” Rinnie felt the patch taking her now, she felt the artificial sleep carrying her away.

As she lay there, the large cerebral scanning unit starting to cover her head, she wondered which thing she would experience. Would she wake up in an hour… or in a century? What did it really mean that both were her?

It was beyond her increasingly addled mind. Rinnie had no choice but to give in to the dreamless sleep.

And then, almost immediately of course, she woke up.

THE END