• Published 4th Oct 2013
  • 7,623 Views, 85 Comments

The Art and Science of Letter Writing - Pascoite



While on a work trip to help family in Appleloosa, Big Macintosh strikes up some correspondences with friends back home. These are the letters that crossed Twilight Sparkle's desk. Sometimes words don't mean what they say.

  • ...
11
 85
 7,623

The Art and Science of Letter Writing

April 5
From: Big Macintosh

Dear Applejack,

Everything is going just fine out here in Appleloosa. Hard to believe it’s been a whole month already, huh? But durned if it ain’t. Please tell Apple Bloom her big brother loves her, and Granny Smith and Winona too!

Sorry it took me so long to write, but we’ve been real busy. Honest! (And don’t scrunch up your nose at me that way you always do when I say that!)

Bloomberg’s doing great! He’s spread out all nice from the root ball, all the way to the dripline now. Right as rain! Well, not so much rain, I suppose. We don’t get a lot in the desert, of course. In fact, we built up some irrigation ditches from the river last week. We had to route it through a culvert so it wouldn’t get in the buffalos’ way. Now I got to remember to tell you about one of them. If I forget, say something when you write back, and I’ll fill you in.

So, Braeburn has the whole operation singing over here, least from the worker-bee side, but he’s never had to keep books on it before. Don’t you worry, though. I’ll have him up to speed in no time. You should’ve seen him when I first tried talking to him about profit margins. Looked more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, he did. But he’s getting the hang of it, and I should be home in another six months. Just got to finish getting him schooled up and help with the repairs to the train line, and I’ll head back in plenty of time for applebuckin.

Sorry if I’m boring you with the business speak. I gotta tell you, we were pounding spikes down the track, and we had an engine pulling along a flat of ties for us. Well, Braeburn climbs up on the tender to shovel some more coal, and he falls right in. Heard his horseshoes scrabbling around in the bottom and all. When he sticks his head over the edge to ask for a bit of help, it’s blacker than a snake in a stovepipe. Rest of the day, we called him Blacktwig! Make sure you mention it next time you see him. I’m sure he’ll be thrilled.

I guess I’ll move on to all the messages. I got so many of them. You figure ponies here’d have the wherewithal to write their own letters, but no. They got to know who’s writing to who, and can they send along well wishes, and can they ask when so-and-so is gonna visit. Never ends. And for some reason, I love it. Lets you know folks care.

Anyhow, Cherry Jubilee's got a cousin here, Peach Melba, who wants to know if Cherry should save you a spot on the assembly line. Best worker she ever had, she says. And Little Strongheart says hey to Rainbow Dash. That’s right, the thing about the buffalos. Actually, it was just Strongheart—she wants to challenge Dash to a race. All in good fun, but you know how Dash is. She’s not gonna take it any easier on Strongheart than she did you. Might be best not to tell Dash about that one.

And now I know you’re making that face again, like when the apple butter’s gone bad.

There were more, but I can’t remember them just now. Don’t you get your tail in a twist. I’ll write you directly, soon as I recall. It’s not like anypony round here will let me forget, anyway.

Feel free to let all your friends have a look-see at this here letter (except Dash, of course—just tell her the parts she can hear). They might all enjoy reading about everything out west. And if any want to write back, I’d answer, though I know I’m not the most exciting pen pal.

I’ll write you again next month. Love ya, AJ! Please give everypony my best. I’m gonna include another page just for you. I’d appreciate it if you kept it to yourself, except for, well, you’ll see.

Oh, and I think I’m probably gonna mosey back your way for a short break halfway through my stay here. Maybe three or four days. I always like the summer barn dance we do, and I’d like to help out with it again.


So, little Sis, I wonder if you couldn’t do me a bit of a favor? Would you mind asking Twilight to send me a letter? Doesn’t have to say much. Or anything, really. Just tell her I wanted to ask her advice about something. I’d’ve written her directly, but I couldn’t remember the address of the library. I figure I could’ve just written “library” on it, and it would get there, but since I was sending one to you anyway, might as well ask you.

Now, don’t you go getting any ideas in your head. It really is just that—advice. And please keep it under your hat. I don’t want anypony starting up gossip on my account, especially when I ain’t there to nip it in the bud. Thank you much, AJ.

Lotsa love,
Big Macintosh


April 9
From: Twilight Sparkle

Dear Big Macintosh,

I have to admit that your request bewildered me a little. I don’t recall speaking with you much before to the point that you’d consider consulting me on anything. In fact, I guess I’ve never seen you in the library before, either, except when the new almanac comes in.

Now you’ve really got my curiosity piqued. Apple cultivation in a low-humidity environment? Land reclamation projects? Steam engine maintenance and repair? I’ve decided on a few of the likelier candidates and have a box of books ready to go. I could have them sent via courier through the inter-library loan program to your local branch, but it’d get there quicker by train, I think. It’s okay—I trust you with them.

Oh, I wanted to thank you for helping to replace the handle on the front door before you left! It’s so nice that it shuts properly now. You’re so good at fixing things. I can see where Apple Bloom gets it. Or will get it. I remember being that age and wondering when I’d finally find my talent. It can be so frustrating to wait, but it won’t take long now. If only she’d stop and give it some thought.

You know, I’ve heard all of my friends’ stories about how they got their cutie marks, but it occurs to me that Applejack’s never told me about yours. I’ll have to ask you about that sometime.

And here I am rambling. I’m sorry, but I just get the gift of gab once in a while. I’ll await your return letter and help you however I can. By the way, Rarity and Pinkie have been ruthless in trying to get me to divulge what was on the last page of that letter, but I didn’t say a word. It about drove them nuts, so naturally, I’ve had quite a bit of fun with them.

Respectfully,
Twilight Sparkle


April 12
From: Big Macintosh

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I guess it makes a sort of sense, but you’ve become a know-it-all (really, I mean that in a good way!) around town. Got a problem, go ask Twilight Sparkle about it. She might not know the answer, but she’ll sure as sugar know where to find it. Also, you’re trustworthy. All kinds of ponies come to you for all kinds of things, and you know better than to blab. You also got a way of breaking everything down to the facts, so you and AJ are probably the best ones to keep me grounded, and, well, you’ll understand why I ain’t thrilled about bringing it up with her.

(Shoot, why does this have to be so hard to write?) See, what I wanted to ask you about was kinda related to last Hearts and Hooves Day, you remember? Those three little girls got it in their heads to fix me up with Miss Cheerilee and used that potion. Well, it worked, quicker than a jackrabbit on a date, if you’ll pardon the pun. (Just tell AJ to smack me one good if that was too bad.)

Thing is, I spent all that day making goo-goo eyes at her, and while it wasn’t me really, it still got me thinking afterward. I never considered it seriously before, but being in love, well, it just kinda fit. The farm had always kept me so busy that it was out of sight, out of mind, but once I had that bug in my ear, seems there was no going back.

I gave some thought to all the ponies I left behind in Ponyville, and, well, you know how sometimes you don’t notice what’s right in front of your face? “If it was a snake, it woulda bit you,” as AJ’d say. We get along so well, and she’s never made me nervous, and I assumed it was just cause we were meant to be friends. But why does it have to be that way? Being sweet on somepony shouldn’t automatically mean you have to feel uncomfortable round them. Fact, it makes more sense like this, don’t it?

Except if I get it wrong, I’ve pretty much messed up our friendship. You can’t just go back to how it was before, knowing somepony felt that way about you, huh? I know, I know. I got to make this decision on my own, but I’d appreciate some advice from somepony who doesn’t have her head lost in the thick of it, maybe come up with some ways of looking at it I hadn’t considered.

It’s the first thing I think of when I get up in the morning. It makes me feel all jittery, I keep catching myself staring off at what have you, and I can’t concentrate.

I love every minute of it. And it’s scaring the hell out of me.

So, what’s going on in your noggin? I’d like to hear your thoughts. Am I barking mad? And I hope you didn’t go to too much fuss gathering all those books. Didn’t mean to be a burden.

Thanks for talking,
Big Macintosh


April 16
From: Twilight Sparkle

Dear Big Macintosh,

Why in the world did you think I’d be a good choice to discuss that? Really, I’m flattered that you’d come to me for advice, but you’d probably fare better asking somepony else. Somepony with, well, experience.

It’s no secret that I lack a little on the romance side of things. I can’t imagine that you thought it’d be a good idea, but again, it flatters me that you asked. I can pull some books for you if you want, but this seems like the kind of thing you’d probably make better progress by talking with a friend. Surely, you’ve got somepony there who could help. You get along well with Braeburn, don’t you?

If you’d like me to research it, just say so, but that’s probably not the best path. Sorry I couldn’t help more.

Respectfully,
Twilight Sparkle


April 19
From: Big Macintosh

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I’m not gonna press you into doing something that makes you uncomfortable. But I like the idea of asking you for advice because you’re impartial. You look at the facts and use good old common sense. I can’t ask for better than that. You’ve got a good head on your shoulders, and I can’t think of a better pony to help.

I just need somepony to tell me if I’m making a lick of sense. I trust you. I know I haven’t talked to you much before, but I’m around you a lot, and all my sister’s friends speak highly of you. If you don’t want to, I understand. Thanks for writing me, in any case.

Your friend,
Big Macintosh


April 23
From: Twilight Sparkle

Dear Big Macintosh,

Okay, I’ll give it a try. I hope I can justify your faith in me. I did read up on the subject a little, but you’re right, it does seem like something where you almost need to trust your gut. Heh. Listen to me!

I’ll refrain from asking who has captured your interest so much, since you very conspicuously haven’t named names. I’ll respect your privacy.

What stands out to me is that one could certainly get into your situation very easily. You’ve been away for a while, and your emotions regarding ponies you miss will naturally run high. You end up exaggerating them to yourself, and you can fall into the trap of feeling those emotions more strongly than you normally would. You also don’t receive the constant feedback that you would if you saw her every day, so it takes away all the risk and any sort of sign that you might be on the wrong track. I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “in love with being in love.” To be frank, it sounds like that’s what you have.

I should say that I don’t doubt you’ve fallen in love. I just think that as a one-sided thing, it’s too easy for everything to happen exactly the way you want it to. A real relationship simply doesn’t work that way. You need to realize that, but at the same time, if you hope to move anywhere with it, you will have to act on it.

Yes, that will possibly introduce some awkwardness into your friendship if it doesn’t go as planned, but I have to think that true friends will weather it. Time will pass, and your friendship will return to normal. I doubt that informing her of how you feel will do any permanent damage. Start slowly. Why don’t you write her a nice letter? The first one you wrote me was perfectly pleasant, and I enjoyed knowing that you took time out of your day to contact me. She’ll have the same reaction.

Of course, that’s only my opinion. You have to decide whether your feelings are strong enough that they’ll drive you crazy if you don’t do something about them. Or, if you’re happy to let it fade away, then savor it for what it is and move on afterward.

I can’t say I’ve been in that situation before, but I can understand how it might happen. Maybe it’s enough just to talk about it, and if so, I can always lend a sympathetic ear, or pair of eyes, as it were.

Good luck with this. It can’t be easy to handle, but at least you’ve remained happy about it. If I can do anything more to help, please ask.

Glad to help,
Twilight Sparkle


April 28
From: Big Macintosh

Twilight,

I sure am tickled to have a confidant. You know, everything you said makes sense. Again, not noticing what’s right in front of my face. I can be pretty thick. I guess sometimes it takes somepony laying it all out to see.

You’re right. I haven’t taken a single risk. Why should I expect rosy things to happen for no reason? It’s like thinking you’ll find a basket full of eggs in an empty henhouse. I’m gonna write her a letter and see how things go from there.

I really appreciate your help, but it seems a shame to stop writing now. I’d be happier than a puppy with two tails if I could keep it going. I like having somepony other than Sis to sound off to.

If you don’t want to hear from me, just say so, but otherwise, expect another letter from me soon.

Thanks so much,
Big Macintosh


May 1
From: Twilight Sparkle

Dear Big Mac,

Happy May Day to you! It seems rather appropriate, doesn’t it? Technically, the vernal equinox is the first day of spring, and of course we’ve already had Winter Wrap Up here, but today is really when things get going. A time for new beginnings, huh? Maybe a good omen...

I’d very much like to keep hearing from you. Aside from Princess Celestia, the only ponies I correspond with are my family, and even then, not very often. Having a pen pal would give me a nice little activity every few days.

So, what are you going to do first? Strike up a casual conversation or ask her on a date? Look at me, becoming just as excited as you. If I’m not careful, I’ll get pulled in just as deeply!

Sincerely,
Twilight Sparkle


May 5
From: Big Macintosh

Hey Twilight,

I think I’ll start with a simple conversation. Shouldn’t be too hard to find something she likes to talk about. It’s not tough if you set on the right thing. With a little luck, I’ll have her babbling like a brook in no time.

Thank you so much for talking me through that. Feels like the end of a long day, when I take the collar off, and my shoulders weigh nothing. I’m actually taking a deep breath while I write this, and I just came inside from watching the night sky a bit. It always relaxes me.

Speaking of, it just occurred to me last night that the stars are different here. Course, I don’t know them like you do, all proper names and such. But it comes in handy on the farm. Have you ever looked through one of them almanacs? I know they’re not quite science-y, but they got a lot of folk wisdom. You’d be surprised how accurate they can predict weather, seasons, crop yields, and whatnot, especially out here where there ain’t really any pegasi doing that stuff. They can also teach you how to read the sky. I’d figured on a dry summer by watching them, and sure as shootin’, that’s what we got.

But I noticed out west here, the stars are turned, just a bit, but enough that it stood out to me. Never really thought about it before, but they end up a little different wherever you go, huh? Somepony up in Manehattan, or somepony right home in Ponyville, each one’s got a custom set shining down. Still, it’s the same stars above us all.

Especially in fall, when the air’s crisp—those little points seem so bright. When you focus on one, you spot so many others out the corner of your eye, but you look right at them, and they’re gone. And if you stare at one, a smaller one pops up nearby, then another between them, then two, three more. It’s like they never stop. Tried counting them once as a colt, but it’s tough when the highest you can go is a hundred.

I don’t know what gets to me about them. Makes you feel so small and so important at the same time. Like they outnumber us more than I can understand, but they care to send a little piece of their light this here way, just so I can see it.

Sorry to run on, but it feels nice to just talk, you know? I made up my mind, and that’s that, and I can just talk without it hanging over my head. Or write, I guess. I figure you don’t mind listening about stars anyway.

Thanks for your help, Twilight. You’re a good friend, but I suppose that shouldn’t surprise me none. I hope I can repay you sometime.

Write you later,
Big Macintosh


May 9
From: Twilight Sparkle

Dear Big Mac,

I’m glad to see you taking decisive action. One way or another, it will resolve your situation quickly, and I have to believe that even if it doesn’t turn out the way you wanted, you won’t suffer any long-term damage from it. We’re all friends, after all!

One part of friendship I love is learning new things about ponies. I had no idea you took such an interest in astronomy! Of course I’ve read up on its predictive capabilities, but it never seemed much more than conjecture to me. If it works, a scientific basis must exist somewhere. We should compare notes. If we can pin down the qualitative things you look for, I bet we could correlate them to weather-effecting phenomena.

But there’s more to it than that, right? I don’t dabble in artistic pursuits much, except that I like to sing on occasion. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have an appreciation for them, though. And if anything qualifies as an art form, surely the night sky does. Do you have access to a telescope there? The dry air would give you a clearer view. You could see some stunning things.

That reminds me—Sirius and Procyon still sit low in the sky this week. Look to the south just after sunset, and you should find them hanging there, all shiny. Sirius is the brightest star, not far left of Orion, and you can observe Procyon above it. The fading sunlight will change its tint as it goes, leaving different colors scattered across the horizon, then those two gleaming spots. It always reminds me of a couple of diamonds against an opal background whenever it happens. On more than one occasion, I’ve considered having Rarity make me a brooch like that. I don’t know why. I guess if I did, the feeling would lose its magic. There’s something to be said for not understanding everything.

It surprises me to see this side to you as well. I always had an impression of you as a no-nonsense taskmaster. I’m glad that you can see the beauty beneath the surface. If nothing else, your little “problem” has led to an unexpected friendship, and I will always welcome that.

Warmest regards,
Twilight Sparkle


May 17
From: Big Macintosh

Hey Twilight,

Sorry I didn’t get your letter till almost a week after you sent it. We’d camped out yonder to shore up the railroad bridge by Horsefly Gulch, and I couldn’t leave until we’d finished. But I had a nice treat waiting for me when I got back. An expected one, yeah, but just cause you know Granny Smith’s baked a molasses pie while you went to the market don’t make it taste any less sweet when you get home.

I did see a couple bright stars up at the work site, but I didn’t know their names or nothing. By the time I got back here and could use a telescope, some clouds moved in. Don’t matter none. Seeing them all up close and personal takes away a bit of the mystery, I reckon.

Cancer hangs out up in that part of the sky, too. My birth sign. And I put about as much stock in that as I bet you do. I got to say, who in Equestria first looked at that shape, and the best they could come up with is a crab? I guess ponies back then didn’t have time for letting their minds wander. If you got nothing but a stone spear, and a hydra’s nipping at your tail, you don’t go questioning the meaning of the universe, I suppose.

You know, there’s something AJ always used to say: The only ponies who dream are the ones who sleep. Now, you think I’m a taskmaster—you should’ve met her back in her school days. Nose-to-the-grindstone type. But she changed once she took over running the farm and raising Apple Bloom. And she changed even more after she met you.

But you know what? She still says that. And she means it different now.

Time was, she’d yell that at me if she caught me woolgathering when I was supposed to be, well, gathering wool. Now, she says it all quiet-like and with a smile, when I’m beat from a day in the fields and fixing to turn in for the night. I don’t know why I brought that up. Seemed right somehow, as she’s done a bit of stargazing with me too, about the same time she started losing that hard edge, but I’ll tell you about that another time.

Anyway, we just got in, and I stayed up late writing this letter. I’m gonna wrap it up for now, but you’ll hear from me again soon.

Smiling up at the stars,
Big Macintosh


May 21
From: Twilight Sparkle

Hi there, Big Mac,

I never knew that about Applejack. As I’ve said, it’s always interesting to learn new things about your friends. She’s still a very down-to-business mare, but of course, I rarely get to see her at home and relaxed. But even when she’s hard at work, I can see some kind of spark dancing behind her eyes. I ought to sit down with her sometime and try to draw that out. Thank you for sharing that with me.

As to Cancer—well, I’d almost think it’d take even more imagination to make a crab out of those few dim stars. You’re filling in a lot more with your mind than you have to with something more obvious. It’s like finding shapes in clouds. Anypony can see the sheep, but only an artistic eye can create something outlandish, like a garden of rose bushes or a group of ponies playing darts. You have your own private vision in your head, and it’s fun getting somepony else to see it, too.

If you didn’t know, there’s a comet in the sky right now. It’s a rare treat! You should already be able to detect it with a telescope. Just look about ten degrees to the right of Orion’s belt and a little up, and you’ll find a dull blotch, if you have a powerful enough magnification. It will get a little sharper, but it’ll never show up bright enough to see with the unaided eye.

It’s the du Trot-Heartley comet, if you want to look it up. Over here, I’ve already watched it for a few days and taken notes. It doesn’t swing by often enough to have a very good estimate of its orbit, and on its last pass, the Royal Astronomer thought its core might have split in two. In any case, you may find it an interesting specimen. What do you think it says about crop yields next year?

I don’t have the original letter you sent, since we gave it back to Applejack after we’d read it. But do I recall correctly that you plan on coming back for a short visit in another month or so? I’d enjoy the chance to talk to you in person, since I never really knew we had much in common before.

I can see why Princess Celestia had me study friendship. At first, it seemed like such a simplistic topic—why expend that much effort on it? But it feels like nearly every day, it surprises me again. I find new friends in unexpected places, or it manifests itself in some way I couldn’t have anticipated. As much as it stunned me when you first came to me for advice, I’m glad you did.

Until next time,
Twilight Sparkle

P.S. Oh, I assume you’ve written those letters to your crush like we discussed. Any progress there?


May 27
From: Big Macintosh

Twilight,

Lots to write about this time. First off, yeah, the letters have gone fine. We’ve jabbered on about this and that, and we found something that interests us both. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know her. Better than I already did, anyhow. Next up, I’ll ask her to the dance, but I’ve given up trying to whitewash that with you. I expect you’ve figured it all out by now.

So, about the dance, then. I’m gonna visit in early July, mostly for the barn dance we organize at the farm every summer, just for that weekend. I don’t recall ever seeing you at one before, but I sure hope you’ll show up this time. It’s always a load of fun, and I’d be more tickled than a foal with a double set of ribs if you’d go.

Wouldn’t feel right leaving all that work to AJ, so I’ll help her set everything up and get it cleared away afterward. Plus I got ponies to visit with and a dance to attend.

You know, you’re right about AJ. There’s a lot to her that most ponies don’t notice. Always something going on under that hat, and a softer look to her eyes now. Like I said, when she took over managing everything and standing in as a mom to Apple Bloom, something changed in her. All of a sudden, she’d join me out on the front porch after dark. We’d gab about what we wanted out of life, watch for shooting stars, listen to what the wind had to say, late into the night. And she’d put up with me pointing out constellations. Then the next morning, her eyes’d glaze over. Back to work.

But it got a little better each day, and now it don’t take as much to get her out of business mode. Course, I loved her anyway, but it’s so nice that she’ll open up and really connect with somepony. I appreciate the part you played in that, Twilight, ever since she met you. She writes me, too. And in her last letter, she said she might try painting some flowers on the barn when it needs a new coat of red. Somewhere down on the corner and out of the way. But to even hear her mentioning doing something just cause she can express herself, cause she finds some value in something she ain’t got a practical reason for, is wonderful. It’s like the first time she’s been genuinely happy since, well, even I have trouble saying it. You know.

My mind goes the weirdest places when I’m writing to you, but I got to think it’s for a reason. I know I always feel better after talking about this stuff.

Oh, I did see that comet. Took me a while to find it, but there it sat, plain as day. Or night. Whatever. I borrowed the sheriff’s telescope, which is a pretty good one. Looked up the comet, too. Magnitude 17, dim as a sack of hammers. I could just make out a black dot against the tail. I figured it was a shadow or something, and when I looked again a couple days later, the spot had moved some. Maybe it’ll stay put long enough for you to have a look-see once you get this letter. And no, Miss Comedian, a comet ain’t got nothing to do with next year’s crops, unless you’re telling me it’ll come crashing down on them. Then we got bigger problems.

Well, the candle’s almost burned down, and I’m gonna get some shut-eye. I look forward to hearing back, and let me know if that business with the comet means anything interesting. And please think about coming to the dance.

Friends always,
Big Mac


June 8
From: Twilight Sparkle

Big Mac,

I have exciting news! Sorry for the late reply, but it took a while to research your findings. By the time your letter got to me, I couldn’t see any black spot against the comet’s tail. So I took the train to Canterlot to ask at the Royal Observatory.

They had photographs over several weeks on file, since they’d tracked it as well. Based on your description, I looked for a spot that started near the end of the tail and moved forward. And I found it! I have to say, it wasn’t easy to notice even in enlarged pictures from a powerful telescope. You have a very keen eye to be able to pick that out!

Big Mac, you’ve discovered a new asteroid! It’s so small and dark that we’d probably never have known it was there, but because it transited the comet, it showed up! Based on eight days’ worth of position data against the comet, we’ve estimated its orbit, and by predicting when it should occult any stars along its trajectory, we can track it and refine our projection.

As its discoverer, you get to name it! Within reason, of course, but I can’t imagine you coming up with something that the Royal Astronomer wouldn’t accept. Start thinking about what you’d like to call it.

And on to other matters...

As much as I talk to Applejack, I never really knew all that about her. I love that she’s discovering all these new aspects of life. I’ll make a point of inviting her along when I go to a concert or a poetry reading or anything. In fact, there’s an exhibition of southwestern art at the Royal Museum in August. I already asked her if she wanted to go.

Big Mac, she nodded right away and thanked me. I don’t mean she said a quick thank-you and went about her business. She stopped what she was doing and took me by the shoulders, and a slow smile spread across her face. Then she asked if the whole group was going or just us, and when I answered that it’d be two friends enjoying an art show together, she thanked me again, and her eyes spoke so much more than she could get her mouth to say. Besides looking forward to the event itself, I think it meant just as much to her to have somepony believe she could appreciate it.

I assume she doesn’t know we’ve been talking about her, so that she thought I’d invited her entirely of my own volition. It almost makes me feel guilty that it wouldn’t have occurred to me otherwise, but that’s one little white lie I’ll keep to myself.

So, about the object of your affections... Yes, I think you can drop the pretense at this point. Somepony with whom you’ve kept up a correspondence and who shares some common interests with you? Hm. I wonder who that could be. Don’t worry—I never told anypony. But in the interest of getting that weight off your chest, you can go ahead and say a name, if it helps.

And yes, you can expect me to attend the dance.

Looking forward to July,
Twilight Sparkle


June 15
From: Big Macintosh

Twi,

And another late response from me. When the only letter carrier in a small town takes ill, you can’t do much but wait. But things are up and running again.

Well, don’t that beat all? A new asteroid. Shucks, I’m not one to stand on ceremony. Feel free to tell them whatever you want to name it. Otherwise, I’m happy to leave it at all them letters, numbers, and whatnot they usually use. Not like anypony’d care to follow it, anyway.

It does my heart good to hear that AJ’s so happy. You’ve done gone above the call of duty on this one, but that really shouldn’t surprise me anymore. I’ll make a point of asking her if she’s got any plans when I visit. Can’t wait to see her face light up. I’ll tell you how it goes.

I hope I haven’t been too obvious, but I suppose you can’t avoid the rumor mill. I know you didn’t blab, but somepony must’ve. So, yeah, I’m going to the dance with Fluttershy.

First time I met her, Winona’d run off into the woods one morning and got herself hurt. That nutty dog never misses a meal, so when we still hadn’t seen her by sundown, we got worried. We took turns galloping around the edges of the farm and calling for her. Never heard a peep. Then, right as it gets dark, here comes Fluttershy bobbing up the road with Winona on her back and a whole mess of noisy birds in tow. Says the birds told her where to find Winona, then she traipses on into the barn and makes up a straw pallet. We try to help, but she says only she can understand dog speak, and she stays out there all night with her. Come morning, Winona was doing much better. I gotta appreciate somepony who’s got a way with critters—we got so many on the farm, after all.

I didn’t realize at the time, but now I remember standing there and watching. Felt like my hooves had turned to mush. She was so amazing, knowing just what to do, and them soft eyes held me in place. Surprised I didn’t forget how to breathe. I’d convinced myself I was just stunned by her know-how. Ain’t often a genuine sawbones pops out of thin air right when you need her. Course she’ll tell you she ain’t a doctor or a vet, but shoot, I’d trust her before anypony else with that.

Yes’m, I fell in love with her way with animals long before I even knew it. Her personality got me next. She regularly watches Apple Bloom and those other two galloping bundles of mischief when Rarity gets too busy. It takes a special kind of pony to connect with kids like that, and I’ve never met anypony more gentle. She leaves her door open for any animal, pony, whatever. I can’t imagine doing that with the old homestead. It’d drive me nuttier than a pecan tree, but it means so much to her to have that life around her all the time. A squirrel chattering in her kitchen, a buzzard croaking in her washroom, a friend sharing a pot of tea in her den. She basks in it.

It’s like watching somepony make a statue. You can feel the artist’s energy, and while it takes shape so slow that you don’t even notice or stick around to see it all, you just know you’re part of something special. You don’t know how it’ll look when it’s done, but that don’t matter. It’s gonna be beautiful, sure as you’re standing there.

She’s the stream that chips away at the mountain. Little by little, not so’s you’d notice, but before you know it, she’s changed the world. Shoot, look at me. Before, I’d shoo off any crows I found in the cornfields, maybe even take a swing at them with a stick, but now I leave out some corn. Keeps them away from the plants, and they still get fed. Better for me, better for them. And not cause Fluttershy told me to—cause I see how she lives and how she thinks, and it works its way into you.

And if that weren’t enough, what reeled me in for good is her looks. She’s got that natural (what else would a nature girl have?) beauty that don’t take all kinds of primping and preening. What you see is the real Fluttershy, not somepony dressed up as what she ain’t. And that still comes through even when she wears something fancy. I remember when she got famous as a model, and it struck me how she still overpowered those dresses. She added the perfect touch to the clothes, not the other way round, and I bet that’s what drew everypony’s eye to her, but nopony could figure out why.

About a week before I left, I saw y’all in the park for one of your pet days. She’d stretched out in the grass and was soaking up the sun, just blending in with the daffodils. Her mane and tail flowing like a bitty waterfall, and her voice like a little wisp of cloud. I caught myself staring several times, but it never sunk in until I’d gone. Now I can’t think of anything else. Braeburn’s already asked me a bunch of times why I keep smiling. I just tell him something I got in the mail and leave it at that.

Speaking of the mail, I’ve only got a little over a week left before I start heading that way, so unless we’re both right quick about it, you might not hear from me again until I’m there. Wish me luck, and I look forward to seeing you at the dance!

Hopefully heading home,
Big Mac

P.S. Course we don’t have to wait until the dance to meet. I’d love to stop by the library or buy you lunch at the cafe, if you don’t mind. I’ll be there on July 1st.


June 24
From: Twilight Sparkle

Big Macintosh,

Of course it was Fluttershy. Any fool could see that. I hope she makes you happy. You’re a nice pony, and you deserve that.

Twilight


June 27
From: Big Macintosh

Twi,

You okay? Maybe it’s nothing, but it seems like something’s bothering you. I ain’t used to you being short like that or taking so long to answer. Guess there ain’t much I can do from here, but if I could help you in any way this weekend, or by lending an ear from here, please tell me—I got a mountain of favors to repay.

Just a quick note for you. I’m packing up now, and I’ll see you in a few days!

Your friend,
Big Macintosh


June 30
From: Twilight Sparkle

Big Macintosh,

I regret that I’ve been called to Canterlot on business, and I won’t be in town during your visit. Don’t wait for me. I hope you enjoy the dance.

Regards,
Twilight Sparkle


July 11
From: Big Macintosh

Twi,

I didn’t get your last letter till I made it back here. Sorry I missed you in Ponyville. Spike told me it was all official-like, and I guess secret too, since he didn’t know why you left. I understand completely. Things happen sometimes. I promise I’m not mad. I’m not mad about a lot of things, actually. I guess I’ll just let ’er rip.

I spent my first night getting the barn ready and hauling hay bales around. It had gotten pretty late before we called it a day and I finally showed up at the cafe. Fluttershy knew setting up had run long, so she’d only waited maybe 15 minutes. We had to rush a bit, since it’d gotten near closing time, but everything went okay. I walked her back to her home afterward, gave her a little hug, and that was that. We’d arranged it a couple weeks before, and it went off as planned. Can’t say much more for it than that.

We did have fun at the dance, I gotta admit. She was kinda nervous on any of the fast songs and wanted to sit most out, but we still talked, and I got her out on the floor for a few. Then the slow dances—it felt so right twirling around, hearing her beautiful gown swishing against the hay on the ground, her soft face on my shoulder, that scent she always seems to have on her, like the ivy that grows all round her house. It just fits her. Everything was going so perfect.

Now, I hate to kiss and tell, but you’ll see why in a minute. Things are winding down, so we go out back of the barn and watch the stars. I point out Cancer and ask if she thinks that looks like a crab, and she just kinda nods. I try finding a few more interesting things, but she’s only giving me the occasional “uh-huh,” till I tell her the Pegasus constellation will rise in a couple months. I tell you, her eyes lit up at that. For a good five minutes, she stared up and said nothing, a funny smile on her face.

Next thing I know, she leans over and kisses me, full on the mouth. So I start kissing her back, and things are going fine till I notice for about the third time she keeps reaching for my sides. And I finally put it together.

She’s reaching for where my wings’d be, if I had them. Her eyes had sparkled the whole time she’d imagined that big old pegasus in the sky. And whenever she’d sit out a fast dance, she kept staring at Rainbow Dash. Once again, if it was a snake, it woulda bit me. Why am I so bad at noticing what’s right in front of my face?

I don’t know what made her want to go out with me in the first place. Maybe she figured I’d be her only chance. Anyways, I spent the next hour talking her through if anypony else knew, what would they think, what should she do. I gave it my best shot, and at least I managed to calm her down. She kinda freaked when I asked her point-blank. Best advice I gave her, though—talk to Twilight. Where I can’t see the forest for the trees, Twilight’s got the big picture cataloged away in her head. She can make sense of it all for you, I told her.

And I have to laugh about it all. What else can I do? I ain’t mad at her. She only did the same as me, after all—stumble around in the dark, only she didn’t luck into the right pony to ask about it.

You were right. Way back at the start, you were right. I fell in love with some ideal, and I never had the real Fluttershy around to whittle that big old crush into something less of a fantasy. And now that it’s all laid out in front of me, I can’t call it anypony’s fault but my own. I feel like such an idiot. Lesson learned, I guess.

Anyway, thanks so much for inviting AJ to that art thing. She chattered nonstop about it all weekend. She rarely gets so excited about anything, and I love that she’s found another way outside of work to express herself. You made that happen, and if I spend the rest of my life trying to even the score, I’ll still owe you for that.

Well, I’m back in Appleloosa for a couple more months. When I finish here, I’ll take it easy in Ponyville for a while. Some nice, relaxing farm work, and I hope you don’t mind if I stop by to chat or have some coffee. I’ve made such a mess of trying a relationship that I should give that a rest. Really, I can only laugh about all of it.

Warmest wishes,
Big Mac


July 17
From: Twilight Sparkle

Dear Big Macintosh,

I’m sorry things didn’t go as planned. I’m sorry I couldn’t help any more than I did. Maybe you’d consider trying again?

I should stop before I overstep my bounds. Maybe I’m not the best pony to be giving you advice. I said that from the start. I’m sorry. And now I’ve sat here for over an hour trying to figure out how to word a single sentence to say it all and say nothing at the same time. It feels like I’m stepping off a cliff, but here goes: I’m too close to the problem to be objective about it.

I’m sorry,
Twilight


July 20
From: Big Macintosh

Twi,

But you’ve given me the best advice I’ve ever gotten! I doubt you could have seen that about Fluttershy any more than I did. If so, you would’ve warned me off her. By the way, has she ever talked to you? And do you think she has a shot with Dash? I could never read that one…

Please, Twilight. I really value your smarts. If you think laying low for a while ain’t the best row to hoe, tell me. I trust you. You haven’t steered me wrong yet.

Oh, sorry to cut short, but they need me out at the orchard. Write you later!

Friends always,
Big Mac


July 28
From: Twilight Sparkle

Big Mac,

You never considered whether anypony else might suit you? I understand that your infatuation struck from out of the blue, but you must have realized there may be more than one possibility. There’s nopony else whose company you enjoy and with whom you share common interests?

By the way, the Perseid meteor shower isn’t far off. Don’t forget to watch it.

Twilight


August 2
From: Big Macintosh

Twi,

Something funny happen? Your letter looked like it’d been crumpled up and flattened back out, but the envelope was fine. Don’t matter, just made me curious.

Anyway, I’d love to watch the meteors, but I’ll put my star-reading sense on the line and say it’ll be cloudy on the peak nights. Go ahead, nature, prove me wrong.

Sure, I’d thought of who else around town might put up with a bumpkin like me. Daisy, Lily, or Roseluck first occurred to me, since they grow stuff, too. But there’s something about that in my mind. Quite a difference between agriculture and horticulture, at least to us farmers. I’d guess it’s kinda like how y’all real magic users might look at somepony that does sleight of hoof. Not that gardening is fake, mind you, but I can’t put it on the same level. I don’t even get away from the farm much, so I don’t know too many mares in town anyway. Yeah, I’d best keep off the dating scene for a while.

Course, you and me get along great, and we both love stargazing. We’d make quite the pair, huh? The farmboy and the bookworm. I can see ponies asking me if I understand you and wondering why you settled.

Hey, you’ll go on that trip to the museum with AJ by the time I’d hear from you again, right? Let me know how that goes. I’ll get AJ’s side of it anyway, but she ain’t gonna give me the nitty-gritty. I’d like to hear your impression of whether she has a good time.

Your friend,
Big Mac


August 17
From: Big Macintosh

Twi,

Not sure if you got my last letter. If you didn’t, say so, and I’ll try to piece together what I wrote in it. My memory ain’t so great, but I can probably get the gist of it.

Sure enough, cloud cover ruined most of the meteor shower, but I counted a few on the last night. I hope you got to watch it. Bright moon right now, though, which washed it out some. You know, in all these years, I’d never looked at the moon through a telescope. I’d seen photos of it in science textbooks during school, of course, but experiencing it for yourself makes it that much more real. Makes me excited to think about what else you could show me when I get back home.

Along those lines, how’d you like the art show? AJ had a great time. She even talked about getting something like that to hang in her room. Can you imagine trying to pry the bits from her hoof to buy some art only a year ago? And now she’s the one suggesting it? Heh. It being southwestern art, it kinda matches her own way of looking at the world, but I think she’d’ve had fun anyway.

She said you weren’t quite there though, and she wondered if she was being a drag. I told her not to worry and that something just preoccupied you, and I gotta say, I’ve noticed that, too. You doing alright? You’ve helped me so much with my problems, and I wish I could help you with any you’ve got, if you’ll let me.

Hope you’re okay,
Big Mac


August 26
From: Big Macintosh

Twilight,

I’m beginning to wonder if Derpy lost the mail again. AJ says she’s seen you round, but she’s only spoken to you once in two weeks. Please let me know if you’re okay. We’re both worried.

Yours,
Big Mac


September 3
From: Big Macintosh

Twilight,

I’m sending this letter to AJ instead and having her hoof-deliver it to you so I know it hasn’t gotten lost. I think Derpy might be dropping mail again. Me and AJ are worried. I haven’t heard from you in over a month now. Please let somepony know you’re okay.

Yours,
Big Mac


September 9
From: Big Macintosh

Twilight,

Please tell me you’re okay and if I can do anything. AJ thinks you’re angry with her, and I wonder if I’ve said something to hurt you. If this has to do with Fluttershy, don’t worry. I’m not mad at her. It just didn’t work out, and that’s all there is to it. I’ve got no reason to be anything but friendly to her. No hard feelings, honest.

Please at least tell one of us if you’re alright, or if we can get somepony else to help you. I’ll go to Canterlot and drag Princess Celestia herself to your doorstep, if that’s what it takes. I need to know you’re fine. I’d make a sorry friend if I reckoned you had a problem but did nothing about it. Going on 6 weeks now, and you got me at loose ends. AJ’d get some more of y’all’s friends involved, but I told her I didn’t know how private you might want to keep all this, and she feels on the outs with you right now, anyway. I don’t know what to do.

Please answer,
Big Mac


September 12
From: Twilight Sparkle

Dear Big Macintosh,

Please stop writing to me.

Regards,
Twilight Sparkle


September 19
From: Big Macintosh

Dear Twilight,

So it is me.

I debated whether to respect your wishes or write you. At the very least, you deserve an explanation, and then I’ll leave you alone, if that’s what you still want.

I spent some time looking back over your letters and trying to remember what responses I’d made. I don’t know what to say. But I’ve gotta say something.

I’m sorry, Twilight. I never seem to notice what’s in plain sight, even though I expect others to. If it was a snake, it woulda bit me, except it already did. Three times before I felt it.

I’m sorry I didn’t hear what you were saying. I had my head so far up in the clouds that I wouldn’t have got the message even if you screamed it at me. Coming from the Apple clan, I know how it feels to keep beating against somepony who’s too stubborn to listen. And that’s for minor stuff, one stalk out of the hayfield. You put your heart on the line twice, and I left it there both times.

I’m sorry I tortured you by not realizing how I sounded. I led you on. Not on purpose, but I still did. Getting to know you, sharing interesting discussions. Shoot, I even asked you to come to the dance. What else would you think? Somehow, even though I did the same things with Fluttershy, it’s clearly nothing more than friendship with you, cause in my thick head, Twilight’s a friend, and that’s a fact, so why even consider otherwise?

I’m sorry I didn’t keep up my end of the friendship. I feel like the world’s biggest dunce, but I get it now. I actually get it. Please know that I didn’t mean to hurt you. I don’t get close to many ponies, but I’ve been plumb excited each time the mail showed up with another letter from you. You amaze me, Twilight, and knowing you has made me a better pony.

Thanks for everything,
Big Mac


September 25
From: Big Macintosh

Dear Twilight,

It’s Twilight Sparkle. I named the asteroid. Sent out a letter to the Royal Astronomer yesterday to confirm it. Thought you should know.

Big Mac


September 30
From: Twilight Sparkle

Big Macintosh,

You shouldn’t have done that. Name that asteroid after your sister or parents or something. I don’t need an empty gesture.

And I’m not mad at you. It just hurt me. A lot. I can live with being ignored, going unnoticed—I could write that off as a lack of popularity and having zero prestige. The rich get richer, I grumble about it for a while, but in the end, I get over it.

What hurts is that you appeared to choose me for my intellect. You kept praising my ability to solve problems and give advice, and we had some rather sophisticated discussions. It sure seemed like that quality drew you to me, only to find out that you’d counted me out for that very reason. What made me a good friend somehow made me unsuitable for anything more.

And worse yet, I thought we had something. I knew it clear as day. And then it disappeared. Never measuring up in the first place is one thing, but to get what you could only dream possible, then be branded as not good enough after all…

I’m not mad, Big Mac. But I’m very disappointed in how everything turned out, and it hurts. Like you, I debated over what to write, if anything. I don’t know if this will do any good, but there it is. My heart, out in the open for you again, and I don’t even know if I’m doing the right thing anymore. I hope I don’t regret this.

Twilight


October 4
From: Big Macintosh

Twilight,

I’m keeping the name. I didn’t decide on it as some way to make up for what I did. I picked it because I truly believe that you deserve it. You’re an incredible pony, and it’s only right to put your name in the stars.

And again, you’re right. I joked about how I’d never fit with a bookworm, and I couldn’t have been less right if I was left. It was thoughtless, and it made me sick, remembering I’d really written that without thinking. Your smarts is one of the things I like most about you, and it makes you Twilight Sparkle. I wouldn’t take that from you any sooner than I’d take the peep from a chick. Anypony who thinks that ain’t good enough for him has got that dead backwards.

I may have ruined any friendship we had, and believe me when I say I know what that means. Yes, I got to know you. Yes, I found common ground with you and loved our discussions. I loved being your friend. And that’s exactly where I went wrong. Twice.

All along, I had the wrong idea with Fluttershy. Well, apart from the whole being interested in Dash thing. But I fell in love with her before I really knew her. Somepony you love should be a friend first. I’d’ve had to count my lucky stars if it’d ever worked.

I did build that kind of friendship with you, and it was the most valuable thing I had, that one shiny golden apple at the top of the tree. I don’t trust myself trying to go past that right now, seeing as how I’ve screwed it up twice in one go. But friendship is worth fighting for.

Maybe friendship turns into something more later on, and maybe not, but that doesn’t matter. I’d treasure it up the same either way, as the gem it is or as a foundation. I don’t want to give that up if I don’t have to.

I won’t ask you to forgive me. I don’t even know if I deserve it. But I will ask for another chance to be a friend. I only have a week until I head back to Ponyville on the 13th, just in time for applebuckin season. I might not get another letter here before I have to leave. Just tell me what to do. Tell me how I can earn your friendship back, write me and say to leave you alone, ignore me and show you never want to see me again. I’ll do whatever you ask.

Maybe a friend,
Big Mac


October 9
From: Twilight Sparkle

Big Mac,

I know that ponies make mistakes. It takes more effort to fix some than others. And I’ve made my share of them, too.

Some things are worth repairing, no matter how badly broken they are, Big Mac. But then hard work has never scared either of us. I’ll meet you at the train station and walk you home. We’ll have a nice, long talk on the way.

To new beginnings,
Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

Thanks to Present Perfect for giving me feedback on my first draft. They say, "Write what you know," and two of these situations come from personal experience.

Comments ( 85 )

Beautiful story.

I am now very interested in what the two situations were

Ow, right in the feels. :raritydespair: I've been in both situations myself, but I'll admit I didn't go about solving the issue the way Mac did. This was wonderfully written, and it was eady to picture what was happening behind the letters, like AJ checking on Twilight and the dance. (The suspense was perfect, too. I couldn't even pay attention to the dates, I was reading so fast!) Thank you, both for a great piece of TwiMac fiction, and a flat-out heartwarming slice-of-life. I wish I could write this stuff the way you do.

Nice story, man the whole flutters likes dash hit me from left field then Mac realizing twi. Very expert, take a BROHOOF

Wow. That... May 5th was when I first figured that Mac was being shipped with Twi. June 15 hurt like :fluttershbad:, July 11 brought in the FlutterDash ship, July 28th brought out incredulous Twi, September 12. Ouch.

Overall reaction: Great work.

My Reaction

Seriously, dude. That hit me right in the gut.

Dang. I've started listening to fics on my commute using a text-to-speech engine. There I am, driving along without a care, and *wham!* the dance hits and I nearly had to pull over and just experience my feelings.

I keep driving and then "Please stop writing to me." and I nearly had to pull over again.

12/10

Very good way of portraying the story and also very good use of emotion. Awesome read!

Some spoilers.

I hope I haven’t been too obvious, but I suppose you can’t avoid the rumor mill. I know you didn’t blab, but somepony must’ve. So, yeah, I’m going to the dance with Fluttershy.

I spent half a minute looking at this line just saying "ouch", and when I read;

Course, you and me get along great, and we both love stargazing. We’d make quite the pair, huh? The farmboy and the bookworm. I can see ponies asking me if I understand you and wondering why you settled.

.....oh damn.

Great work on this, that ending was just fantastic.

3302221

OHhh. I would like to do that. Please forward details

Also, excellent story. Hit me right in the feels. Damn people hitting me in the feels. It hurts.

Anything inexperienced-me could write would not make this fic any justice.

Thank you, Pascoite. I really mean it.

3302221
Wow. I... hope I'm not causing any traffic accidents...

3301272
Yes, I was in a couple of Mac's situations, but the one that you seem to be referring to, where it's easy to fall in love with someone that's not around you anymore, can be a nasty little trap. Thankfully, I didn't fall in too far.

3302503
I love that moment when I'm reading a story and something just blindsides you and makes your jaw drop. I sure hope I gave a few people that moment! Thanks for reading!

Oh Mac... Been there, buddy. Been there for a good 2 whole years. This one didn't make me cry like your other one that I read tonight, but damn if I didn't relate. Only, you know, his situation worked out a lot better than mine did... A lot better... And that's why we have alcohol...

Beautiful
Simply beautiful :raritydespair::twilightsmile::twilightsheepish::fluttershysad::eeyup:

Hit close to home with me as well. Very well done, I'd be interested in a followup regarding their "talk" or efforts to repair their friendship, should you ever write it. In the meantime, upvoted, faved, and 'stached :moustache:

I love dialogue stories like this. People claim that actions speak louder than words and sometimes there not wrong, an action can speak a thousand words but the problem is, actions have no subtly. Words can mean a thousand different things while saying something completely different. I applaud you in this story, and the way you worked the dialogue

Very nice. Emotional too.
God knows I'd messed up more than one relationship from being a thick ass.

3302503
There's a spoiler tag available, FYI. Just wrap it the text like so: [spoiler]uber secret stuff here[/spoiler] to get uber secret stuff here.

When I started reading, I thought Big Mac was just being subtle in hitting on Twilight.

When the truth came out, I was shocked and dismayed.

By the time I got to the end, I was crying.

Genuine emotion is hard to do. Nice job.

This has been said enough to lose all meaning:

Ow. Right in the heart.

But I really mean it.

My heart is hollow and sore. My arms are numb. My eyes are slightly blurry. I have a wistful, hopeful smile crinkling my cheeks even as bitter cynicism tugs from the opposite direction, pulling it into a sort of... optimistic scowl, really.

That was just brutal.

I loved it.

Emotion porn.

So, yeah, I’m going to the dance with Fluttershy.

So this is what they call "being hit from the left field". It hurts.

September 12
From: Twilight Sparkle

Dear Big Macintosh,
Please stop writing to me.

Regards,
Twilight Sparkle

Yep, it hurts. It hurts bad.

I'm keeping this story as a reference for the future. You know, what I should do if and when I got to situations like Big Mac's, so I may get the same ending :twilightblush::eeyup:

3302221 That's... one way to enjoy fanfics I guess...

The AWESOME way. Never thought of it before.

This was amazing, I did see the Fluttershy thing coming (didn't know it was Fluttershy but I knew it was somepony else) but it still hit hard. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion, you knew it was coming but couldn't look away. Poor Twilight, that must have hurt so much, I know Big Mac got his share of pain too, but poor Twilight. :fluttercry:

Wow.
You know, I always thought of using letters to tell a story as...well weak. Inferior to a 'real' story, nothing more than an excuse to account for disjointed ideas.
Sweet Celestia I was wrong.
This story. Was simply incredible. I don't know how else to describe it. Just, incredible. With one line, you broke my heart. That almost never happens to me. You did it twice in one chapter.
Bravo sir, bravo.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in a corner.
Trying to figure out if these are happy tears or ohgodhowcouldyoudothatyouheartlessbastard tears.

3303572
So that's how that's done, thank you you piece of this glorious site that I'm proud to be part of.

Gotta admit I'm dang impressed. You made Mac still sound like Mac, yet gave him a ton of dialog - brilliant bit of work right there - but then you go and have those absolutely beautifully timed punches:

"So, yeah, I’m going to the dance with Fluttershy."
"I can see ponies asking me if I understand you and wondering why you settled."
"Please stop writing to me."

It was exquisite.

You know, in this world you've got adrenaline junkies, sex junkies, drug junkies, pony junkies - pretty much every single thing you can think of, there's junkies for. Folks who just can't get enough and know exactly what the best stuff is because they've been grabbing up every scrap of every quality they can get their hands on.

Well, I'm an emotional junkie. I love things that cause a reaction - a true human experience of feelings. Happy, sad, anger, or any of those other sappy dwarves.

This...was good food.

Any plans for more?

That was wonderful. Any chance of a sequel? Though, the desire for a sequel may be entirely based on wanting to see Twilight get her date.

That was super sweet, and I liked the format. Thanks very much for writing!

Dammit not again, you got me in the feels with this one.
I used to prie myself on not getting emotional with fics, but ever since reading the stuff posted here I'm beginning to run outta liquid pride I swear.

Well written story, Will there be a sequel?

:pinkiesmile::pinkiesmile::pinkiesmile::pinkiesmile::pinkiesmile: / 5

I don't think I looked at a date after the first few, but ohmygosh this is an amazing pice of fic. You know who to write two different characters amazingly. At the beginning, I couldn't decide if Mac liked Twi or someone else and then when Fluttershy was revealed, I swear I looked at the screen for a good five minutes. Then Twi kept getting shorter with her responses and then "Please stop writing to me happened."

I am really happy you didn't have Mac just be like...oh, I do actually love her. I had the wrong mare all along. Instead, you had him do things they way the characters would actually respond, and still managed to salvage a friendship. Now, I would love to see their walk to the farm and hear everything, and find out that maybe they do have a chance at being together or maybe Twi had the same problem as Mac; falling in love with some who isn't around because they aren't around.

I did that with a friend once. He went off to a different school, and we texted constantly. We decided to date and he came back to town and things just...fell flat. Everything I felt while we texted or talked on the phone wasn't there in person.

So I have got to say, this is a wonderful fan fiction. I love it. Thank you so, so much for writing and sharing.

Yep, I've been there as well, my friend. Specifically the bit with Mac and Fluttershy.

Not bad story..... what i expected: :rainbowderp: its not going to bad..... what really happened: :moustache: I think twilight might have a real big crush on big mac and shes trying to stall him

I can't even muster the words to say how awesome this was. But if I could, it would end with "...All of that and not a single word of out of character narration."
Well done, you glorious bastard.

we need to see that walk home

The feels :fluttercry:
why oh why is there so much feels

Reminds me of a story I read a while back that was a series of letters between Twilight and Rainbow, but in reverse order so you see the tragedy play out backwards. You see what results from the event, and start to piece the past together as the letters go back in time. You then get to the last(first) letter, and everything hits you at once. So, if anyone else wants a really emotional story told through letters, give I Miss You a shot.

one of the best romantic stories i have read :twilightsmile:

and you totally got me dammit :twilightblush: at this part

So, yeah, I’m going to the dance with Fluttershy.

i was losing my mind, i was so sure it would be Twilight but nope, you just pulled a good one :pinkiehappy:

thanks for writing this one, it was a great story :twilightsmile:

sequels? :rainbowwild:

P.S. holy **** you also wrote "But You Surpass Them All", how come i haven't followed you before :twilightblush:

As many before me have said (or agreed with the sentiment of it):

You glorious fucking bastard.
I hate you.
Please write more.

Ow, you got me, right in the feels.
One minor nitpicky detail however, is that in the first letter, Mac mentions Cherry Jubilee; Cherry Jubilee is from Dodge Junction, not Apploosa.

A few letters in:
"Okay, this hinting is painfully obvious. Mac isn't being subtle, Twi. Figure it out before I hurt my brain reading more."

A few more letters:
"He might as well have hired RD to sky-write 'Twilight I love you.' I didn't even think this COULD be more obvious."

The dance:
:raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair:

Also, I've determined I am just a complete sucker for this form of storytelling. I've yet to find one in this style I didn't enjoy.

3303756

what I should do if and when I got to situations like Big Mac's, so I may get the same ending

Better yet, don't get into this situation!

3303975
I tend not to like letter stories either, but I don't think it's anything inherent to the format; it's that most writers don't do them correctly. I do a lot of reviewing and constantly blast authors for doing them wrong, so I figured it was time to see if I could live up to my own advice. This isn't really the place to go into much detail, but some common mistakes are giving too much irrelevant physical description, including too much quoted dialogue, and using too many speech tics. These just aren't things that people actually put in letters (or journals, for that matter). You really have to put yourself in the character's place and decide what would actually be reasonable to write in that situation, not just take a regular story and shoehorn it into letters because it sounded like a neat idea. A good example of doing it right is Thanqol's Yours Truly.

3304269 3304349 3304493 3307035
Sorry, no sequel. This is one of those situations I think is more effective to leave open-ended. Imagine however you'd like to see it play out. They grow apart? Find their friendship again? Something more? Whatever you like.

3307242
Shit. You're right.

If this story has a flavor it will be bitter sweet.:ajsmug:
And a sprinkle of feels.:pinkiesad2:

3307559

Sorry, no sequel. This is one of those situations I think is more effective to leave open-ended.

indeed it is, i just figured asking wouldn't hurt :pinkiehappy::heart:

as for letter stories this was the third that i have enjoyed and loved, the first was weirdly enough "Yours Truly" its such an amazing piece, and it even got me to try and incorporate letters in my real life :twilightblush: "In Memory Of" by Obselescence is another amazing letter story, yours was third, but if i may, i know of one that is somewhat a special mention, "We´ll Keep In Touch" it mixes letters with story telling and its such a sweet TwiDash story :twilightsmile:

Awesome.... -flails- :derpyderp2::derpyderp1:

3307559

They grow apart? Find their friendship again? Something more? Whatever you like.

So leaving up to the reader? i like that :pinkiehappy:

That was AWESOME:rainbowkiss:

I'd ask for MOAR but this story should stand as it is.:raritywink:

Instead I will simply ask that you write more stories like it.

We must feed the changelings the feels!

:twilightsmile::eeyup:

~CaspianSK

You know, I wasn't going to fave until that twist with Fluttershy. It just didn't seem like there was enough substance at first to be anything more than a pleasant but average shipfic. Then, wham. You really brought everything together perfectly. Once again I'm quite impressed. Twice now you've floored me. That's easily enough for me to want to know when you might next do it again. Have a follow.

Wow.
I loved this story. I don't know what more can be said than that.
Amazing work!

I loved the subtleties of the writing, like the salutations. You clearly put a lot of thought into this story, and it shows through quite clearly. It's been a long time since a story hit me like this emotionally, and I needed it. Thanks.

Login or register to comment