• Published 7th Sep 2013
  • 6,040 Views, 714 Comments

Dark Paradise: the TwiLuna Group Collab - Habanc



100-500 word prompt-based minifics from the TwiLuna group. Contains copious amounts of adorkableness.

  • ...
28
 714
 6,040

PreviousChapters Next
Renegade - ultra1437

Written by: ultra1437

*****

“GDI Infantry barracks under attack.” EVA, their base’s AI called out.

Six red, black and silver blocky tanks rolled toward their target, a building serving as their enemy’s barracks. Instead of traditional tank cannons, they bore a pair of large flamethrowers on each side of their turrets.

“We’ve got Flamers incoming! Can you distract them, Luna?” Twilight talked into her headset from her sniping perch. She watched over the entrance to her team’s base and picked off any NOD soldiers that dared to venture into her sights.

“Consider it done.” A powerful engine fired up and a Mammoth tank rolled out of the War Factory, intent on destroying the incoming attack force. “I bet my sister is leading this charge. Take her tank down and the rest will fall in the resulting disarray.” Twilight looked over the flame tanks to see explosions ring out against their hulls.

“Agreed, but I can’t do anything to them with my rifle.” Twilight secured her rifle across her back, grabbing her explosive charges as she ran down the hill she’d hunkered down on. Quickly building speed, her wings opened and she leapt into the air.

“Fluttershy, could you help repair my tank quickly?” Luna watched as the first two flame tanks had closed enough distance to start burning away her armor.

“Oh, um, I’m on my way.” The Mammoth tank was quickly starting to melt away under the tanks’ heat.

“Please hurry. I have gotten their attention and they are none too pleased to see me.” Luna called out calmly, but inside she was scared the battle was already lost. Six on one was not good odds, even for a Mammoth tank. As she backed away slowly from the two tanks, she hit a button triggering her tank’s rocket pods. Six missiles screamed from their homes and slammed into the two tanks, blowing them and their occupants apart.

As she turned to the other four tanks, she only spotted two. “I’ve lost two of them, Twilight. I fear they’re–”

“GDI Refinery under attack.” EVA called out.

“–At our refinery.”

Pumping her wings harder, Twilight screamed through the sky to their refinery. It was tall, even moreso for a building supposedly mostly underground. Circling around it with flames spewing were the two missing Flame tanks, intent on burning it to the ground.

Taking stock of her explosive charges, she all but threw two at each tank, followed by a timed charge. ‘Hopefully it’ll stay alive long enough.

The rest of their team had noticed the attack and was only now moving to respond with technician ponies moving in to patch up the refinery before it was destroyed.

Luna loosed a warcry as she fired her freshly reloaded rocket pods and fired her cannons, annihilating the last two tanks to face her. A sniper took out the two pilots a second later.

As the timers finally ticked to zero, two explosions rang out on the last two tanks’ hulls. Twilight gave them no time to recover as she hit her own remote detonator, blowing them to kingdom come. She brought her rifle out and picked off both pilots before they could get to cover.

“I got the last two tanks, Luna.” Twilight landed next to the barracks to restock on ammo.

“Good job, just finished my third and fourth here. Thanks for the help, Fluttershy.”

“You’re welcome, Luna,” was Fluttershy’s reply as the dust settled after the last flame tank had exploded.

Twilight spoke up again, “Did you kill Celestia? She wasn’t in either of the tanks I took out.”

“No, she was not…” The Mammoth’s turret slowly surveyed the base, looking for a sign.

“Nuclear Strike beacon deployed.” The voice droned again.

“Crap! Find it! Finditfinditfindit!” Twilight called out as she took to wing again.

“Warning! Nuclear strike approaching.” EVA’s voice drowned out any conversation. “You have thirty seconds to reach minimum to reach minimum safe distance.”

Thirty seconds, please hurry!

Twilight soared over to the War Factory, listening intently for the telltale pinging sound of the beacon.

“Twenty five.” After a few seconds, it wasn’t there.

“Twenty.” She sped toward the barracks.

A voice called out loudly over their radio, “The AGT! It’s at the AGT!”

Not even slowing down, Twilight turned and made a beeline for their only major defensive structure, the Advanced Guard Tower. Though it wasn’t much help against the tanks, its many miniguns would tear an infantry strikeforce to pieces.

“Fifteen.”

Luna soared up next to her, Mammoth tank left behind. “We’ve got this, Twily. You just keep me covered and this little nuke won’t stand a chance.” She touched her wingtip against Twilight’s softly.

Luna spotted the beacon next to the tower, flashing red ominously. She dove, tucking her wings in. As her hooves hit the ground, she already had her repair gun out and aimed at the beacon.

“Ten.”

“Cover us!” Luna yelled, spotting Fluttershy landed right next to her and they both unleashed a disarming beam at the beacon. It would take several seconds, but working together it would go even faster.

“Five.” A red beam of light whipped past Luna’s head. Surprised, she ducked as she tried to keep her beam focused on the beacon. It seems Celestia played for keeps this time. Twilight looked up to see a missile in the sky, pointed directly at their base.

“Four.”

“SBH! SBH! I see her!” A shot rang out and the beams suddenly stopped. Celestia’s Stealth Black-Hand character suddenly became visible as it slumped to the ground.

“Three.” From her readout, Luna could see they would finish in time! ‘We did it! We win!

“We got it this time, sister!” Luna jumped for joy.

“Two.” Twilight could almost make out the fake-serial number on the missile it was so close.

“One.”

“Nuclear Strike Beacon disarmed.” And almost like magic, the missile vanished.

Twilight landed next to Luna as a chorus of cheers came across her headset. Crisis averted!

“Now, Twilight, let us take the fight to my sister,” Luna spoke, stomping a hoof on the ground. “If she intends to play for keeps, let us play for keeps.”

Twilight smirked as Luna made her way back to her tank. ‘Oh, ‘Tia. It’s totally on for that.’ As Luna’s tank slowly made its way out of the base, Twilight stopped off at the barracks one last time. To pick up an Orbital Ion Strike beacon.

PreviousChapters Next