• Published 26th Feb 2012
  • 13,262 Views, 1,967 Comments

Upheaval: Reckoning - Visiden Visidane



Sequel to Breaking Point. The barrier is no more and the Legion is on the move. What happens next?

  • ...
50
 1,967
 13,262

PreviousChapters Next
The Younger Sibling

Upheaval: Reckoning

Chapter 27: The Younger Sibling

With a quick turn, and just a bit more bounce in her gait, Celestia rounded the little circle of pink flowers. On her back, her little brother squealed with delight, and held on tightly to her neck.

“Take care now, your highness!” Animus Arcem called out from a distance.

The Planar City of Empyrea housed many gardens, each one a veritable forest on its own. It was the flowers that constantly drew Celestia to them. The riotous explosion of colors, and the storm of fragrances, both contrasted by the carefully ordered buildings, and streets of the city, always enchanted her. “Oh, relax, Arcem!” She giggled. “I’m not going to drop my little brother!” She turned to look at Terrato. “Isn't that right, Terry?” The little gray foal would have replied if he didn't have a hank of her pink mane in his mouth.

A cold breeze suddenly blew through the garden, halting Celestia in her tracks. For a moment, even the warmth of Empyrea itself receded, leaving her shivering, and puzzled. She wasn't the only pony who had noticed. Animus Arcem ran towards her, his face marred with concern.

The moment passed, and Celestia put the strange sensation out of her mind. “Your highness,” Animus Arcem said. “I think we should return to the palace now.”

Celestia barely heard her guardian. Past Arcem, a lone alicorn walked the street from the palace's direction. Oceanus! His mane was a wave of myriad shades of blue, constantly ebbing and flowing like the waters of the seven rivers. His coat was silver and gleamed brighter than the spires of Empyrea itself, and his eyes were of a blue so dark and deep that it seemed as if light itself failed to illuminate their depths. He walked with his usual formal gait: graceful, and controlled all at once.

“Big brother!” Celestia called out. Before Animus could stop her, she lifted Terrato with her magic and handed him over to her guardian before running towards Oceanus. Her elder sibling must have just come from the palace after meeting with their parents. His day of ascension must be close! She checked her appearance as she ran, making sure that there were no leaves or petals on her and that her mane was neatly arranged and clean of her little brother’s spit.

There was no warm smile from Oceanus, but Celestia already expected that. He was the most formal, most regal pony in the Eternal Herd, a match even for their father and mother. A cold glance didn't stop her from trotting happily in front of him as he walked. Past that serious mien, he must be beaming inside. His long strides made it difficult for her to catch up with her short legs, but she made up for it with enthusiasm. “Did you just finish speaking to father?” she asked. “You must be ascending soon! When’s the coronation?”

“Get out of my way, Celestia.”

“What?” Before Celestia could even think about her brother’s words, his magic enveloped her, lifting her off her hooves, and dangling her before his face. His magic felt like a sheaf of frost wrapped all around her. She whimpered, tears immediately springing from her eyes.

“I said out of my way,” Oceanus said. His voice was colder than ice, and harder than stone. He flung her to the side, sending her tumbling against the pavement. She cried out when her shoulder slammed against the stone.

Animus Arcem was next to Celestia in an instant. He helped her to her hooves, then glared at Oceanus. “You go too far, firstborn!” he said. “What has your sister done to be treated like this?” Terrato started climbing down Animus.

Oceanus didn't even look back. Celestia galloped towards him again. There was no mistaking it. She must have done something horrible to offend him. She was ready to kneel down, and beg for forgiveness once she caught up. “Your highness, no!” Animus called after her. She heard him cast a spell, and turned her head briefly to glance behind her.

When Celestia looked ahead again, Glacies Anima was already swinging towards her face. There was no time to try to duck. She closed her eyes as the translucent, dark blue blade bit into her face, just above her right eye.

Pain, pain that Celestia had never felt or even imagined before, surged into the cut, and burst into her mind like a violent flood. She flew backwards, tumbled against the unfeeling stone of Empyrea, and into Animus Arcem’s hooves. She pressed a trembling hoof against her right eye as something wet, and sticky, trickled down her face. Oceanus stopped to glare at her. His lips moved, but she could hardly hear the words because of the ringing in her ears. She saw the movement, and read the words.

“What makes you so much better?”

“Oceanus!” Animus Arcem charged at the prince, his horn crackling with magical energy. Another second passed, and he was careening towards the opposite direction. Oceanus walked on. Celestia wanted to chase after him, and ask what she had done wrong. Why did he have to hurt her? More alicorns arrived as Oceanus disappeared from sight. A soft tapping came from her side, where Terrato was crawling nearby.

A trickle of tears had escaped from Celestia’s right eye, and mingled with the blood. The mixture continued to trickle down, then dropped against the floor. Terrato had crawled over to inspect the drop with his hooves. He tapped against the mixture, and got it on a hoof. His eyes wide, he brought the hoof against his mouth, and gave it a lick.

Celestia opened her eyes with a start, and found herself back in her room in the Royal Palace. After sitting up, she put a hoof to her face, and found it still a little moist. She had been crying in her sleep apparently. Her hoof also traced the very thin scar that cut across her right eyebrow. It was difficult to notice, even if somepony was actually looking for it, and it wasn't covered by her mane all the time. With so many traces of Oceanus being uncovered recently, she had been more and more conscious of it.

“What makes you so much better?”

The questioned continued to linger. Oceanus had not ascended the throne that day. Their father refused to give Oceanus the throne even if it meant delaying the cycle. No decree was made, but many within the Eternal Herd assumed that it was Celestia who would ascend. The cycle must continue. Sanctus Dominus, and Divina Gratia, eventually had to step down. That was the way of the Eternal Herd. If it wasn't Oceanus, once so promising and majestic, it had to be somepony else.

What makes you so much better?”

She had questioned her father’s decision so long ago, when she was a hurt little filly clutching at her wounded face. She questioned it now as a princess who had gone against his wishes. There had been so many bad choices, and their consequences.

A knock on her door brought Celestia out of her moody reverie. She made sure that her eyes were dry before the second knock.

“Celestia?” It was a concerned Terrato who spoke through the door. “Are you alright? I heard you cry out.”

“I’m fine,” Celestia replied. She didn't recall crying out. She had probably done so while she was asleep. It didn't surprise her that Terrato heard it. Just what part of Canterlot didn't her brother have eyes and ears in?

The door opened, and Terrato looked into the room. “You missed breakfast,” he said. “Luna asked me to see if you’re alright so…are you sure you’re alright? You slept in late.”

“Last night was rather taxing,” Celestia said. “I’m surprised Luna is already up.”

“So am I,” Terrato said. “She's been quite busy lately, and she says she can’t afford to take too much time recovering.” His eyes narrowed. “She’s been a little too busy if you ask me.”

The sudden shadow across Terrato's face told Celestia what he meant. Though he officially shared authority over the Legion with his sisters, it was hardly a secret he had agents out there who answered only to him. She stood up, and looked at him. Terrato was careful not to take so much as a single step into her room. Whatever concern he let his voice show, he now masked with his face. He had been noticeably distant these past few days. There were no grand announcements, and no masses of troops marching across Equestria. The draft and training went on quietly. Yet, Terrato was moving. Squads of Special Operations ponies were all over the Heartland, always watching, always reporting to him. For all his rumble and roar, Terrato was silent when wished to be.

It was one of his less understandable moves that now urged Celestia to speak up. “Terrato,” she said. “Tell me your plans with the Draco’dim. Why did you bring them to the Heartland?”

“Maybe you should get something to eat first," Terrato replied. "A meal, and a bath would help you through the day before we get to those matters.”

Celestia frowned briefly. “I’m not a foal that needs your constant nursing. Tell me now so I can enjoy my meal and bath.”

“Fine,” Terrato replied. He stood there so stiffly that looking at him felt uncomfortable. It dawned upon her that she didn't like seeing him so stone-faced and distant. Fierce and impatient Terrato, always looking for a fight, and boisterous with his affections towards his sisters may fill her with concern, but this quiet, defensive Terrato left her cold.

“You don’t need to stand on ceremony,” Celestia said. "Come inside, and sit down. I’m not taking you away from pressing matters am I?”

“No.” Terrato sat on the floor, still a good distance from Celestia. A few more seconds passed before he spoke again. “The Draco’dim are necessary to keep the Heartland’s dragons in line."

“In line by killing them in numbers?” Celestia asked.

“Their methods are brutal, their members are arrogant, and their long-term goals are highly suspect, but they enforce two rules: no eating ponies, and no invading their settlements. I would bring them in even if they had no intention of coming to the Heartland just to avoid diverting resources to control these newly un-enchanted dragons.”

“You've said it yourself, Terrato,” Celestia replied. “These are pride dragons. They won’t stop with ‘keeping dragons in line’.”

“I know,” Terrato said.

Celestia waited for her brother to say something else: an assurance that the Draco’dim would not prevail in their tyranny, an apologetic acknowledgement of the whole dragon issue. Instead, it was as if she was watching a fortress lock down. “And where does Spike fit in all this?” she asked.

Terrato snorted. “What are you talking about? I've already explained that he's off to get stronger."

“You remember that egg Drellhadar, and Reinfadora, entrusted to me, don't you? Spike hatched from that egg.”

“Really?" Terrato raised an eyebrow. "Small world. Who broke the temporal stasis?”

Celestia frowned at the very obvious lies, and misdirection. “Twilight Sparkle," she said.

The whole thing was one giant accident. Several of the directors who were examining Twilight despised her father, and didn't want her enrolled. They were able to pull enough strings to gain access to the egg, then proceeded to ‘test’ Twilight with a task even full-fledged graduates from the academy would have found impossible. Twilight managed to anyway. Just in time to impress Celestia on her way to reacquire the egg.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Terrato said flatly. “Of course.”

“I assume you found out about all of these things during your first visit to Canterlot,” Celestia went on. “What are you planning for the sole surviving son of the Dragon Scourge?”

Terrato shrugged. “I just want him to grow stronger, and help out his friends.”

“Terrato…”

Terrato let out a sigh. “Yes, Spike will have a role to play, just like all of his friends,” he said. “I won’t say more than that.” He looked at her, his stony expression cracking slightly. “I don’t like this. He’s hardly more than a hatchling. However, the defense of the realm must come first.” He stood up, and looked to the door. “Do you need anything else from me?”

“No,” Celestia said. She thought of looking into the matter more deeply. Luna had mentioned that she had eyes in the Barrier Lands, but Celestia doubted whether they would be able to gain any information that Terrato didn't decide to feed them anyway. This was his game, and he had hundreds of years worth of practice. Luna meant well, and she led well, but there was a great gulf between the two when it came to experience. Besides, there had to be a better way than the three of them trying to outmaneuver one another. Terrato would speak eventually. If he could just trust his sisters more, there wouldn't be any need for this.

Celestia walked towards her brother slowly, and reached out to place a hoof on his shoulder. Part of her face, just above her right eye, tingled and ached. She didn't let this make her back down this time. For a moment, Terrato looked ready to pull back as if she was trying to stab him with a weapon. He forced himself to settle down, and her hoof touched his shoulder. “Take care of yourself, Terrato,” she said. “Luna isn't the only one I’m worried about being overexerted.”

The gesture had caught him off guard. His lips twisted slightly, but he didn't say anything else. With a brief nod, he left.


When he was a good distance from Celestia’s room, Terrato let himself relax a little. He had pressing concerns coming in from Special Operations. The one that stood out the most was the disappearance of Rainbow Dash, and Black Rose’s involvement in it.

As he neared his destination, he actually welcomed the transition from the white and gold halls of the Royal Palace to the gray stone of its dungeon. Canterlot had a small jail for most of its very rare criminals. The dungeon was supposed to be for more dangerous political prisoners. Supposed to be anyway. When Barrier Lands ponies arrived to inspect it, the dungeons housed only rats and spiders.

After a few minutes of walking, Terrato was joined by a legionnaire: Captain Bladescrape of the Western Legion's Special Operations’ Ninth Squad.

“The prisoner transfer has been completed successfully, your highness,” Bladescrape said after a brief bow.

“Good,” Terrato replied. “Did he cause any trouble?”

Bladescrape shook his head. “He showed a great deal of cooperation. We were suspicious, of course, but we didn't encounter any actual difficulties.”

“So his sister hasn't bothered to fetch, or silence him,” Terrato said. “That narrows it down to him not being harmless, full of misinformation, or us actually doing a good job.” He looked towards Bladescrape. “Has he said anything else?”

“A lot, your highness. He’s provided us with information on how to identify Black Rose’s agents, but he’s cautioned us that she probably changed many of her usual methods after he turned on her.”

“And how has his information been so far?”

“Surprisingly effective nonetheless. We've confirmed several agents already.” A shadow fell across Bladescrape’s face. “Black Rose has a frighteningly large information network.”

“Of course she does.” Terrato didn't bother hiding his smile of admiration. They stopped in front of the cell in question.

Blue Moon was manacled, shackled, and horn-locked. Six guards stood by his cell at all times. Upon Terrato’s arrival, He did as best he could to kneel down. The other guards swiftly bowed their greeting.

Blue Moon’s rise within the Legion would have been a legend all on its own if he hadn't spent most of his career under his sister’s shadow. He was known as “Legionnaire Almost”: almost as powerful, almost as smart, and almost as pretty. Terrato had carefully watched him back then, concerned that Blue Moon would become resentful of Black Rose’s acclaim, and that he would try to sabotage her. He never did. On the contrary, he worked closely with his sister, supporting her every endeavor, and going so far as to lead her special squad.

“I've been hearing about how helpful you've been, Blue Moon,” Terrato said.

“I wish only to serve Equestria, your highness,” Blue Moon replied.

“And that’s what you’ll continue to do.”

Terrato continued to study the prisoner. Blue Moon’s sincerity seemed genuine. Perhaps he really did go against Black Rose because she had gone too far, and that his loyalty to Equestria had always been pure and unflinching.

Even considering that left Terrato feeling the bitter sting of shame inside. Unflinching loyalty. He had been so confident before that such a thing was one of his strengths. Recent events left him full of doubt. Things were so much easier when “do as Celestia asks” served as his guiding principle. Reunification left him examining his own ideas about Equestria, and doubting the things he had done, and planned on doing. Blue Moon had gone through something similar. He turned towards Bladescrape. “Let him out of there,” he said.

“Your highness?” Bladescrape blinked in confusion.

“Keep him horn-locked, and under guard, but I think Blue Moon deserves a little mobility, and a change of scenery,” Terrato added.

“I am honored by this show of trust,” Blue Moon said.

In response, Terrato’s horn flashed with magic. Most of the ponies in the room blinked, and looked around. Nothing seemed to have happened. Blue Moon kept his gaze on Terrato. The look on his face showed that he understood.

“As you should be,” Terrato said. He was about to say more when he felt an all too familiar wave of magic gently caress his mind. Black Rose was trying to contact him. The brazen move astonished him for a moment, then made him smile. Why was he even surprised? This was classic Black Rose. The other ponies looked at him with concern. “Keep on being useful, Blue Moon. I’m in constant need of agents these days, and I’ll be happy to take the ones Black Rose loses.” He cast another spell, and teleported out of the palace.


High above Canterlot, Terrato looked around for a secure place, then considered having this meeting with his sisters. He dismissed the thought. Black Rose would simply cease trying to contact him if things weren't private. He flew on, distancing himself from Canterlot until it was a mere speck by the horizon. Only then did he cast the spell that would bring Black Rose’s image before him.

“It is so nice to see you again, beloved,” Black Rose said. In the magical image, she was reclining on a bed, her mane and tail carelessly spread around her. His gaze lingered on her wings. The black feathers looked lovely. Black Rose wore power with ease.

As futile as it likely was, Terrato started tracing the spell back to its source. “Black Rose, what have you done to Rainbow Dash?” he asked.

Black Rose pouted. “So quick to the point. Indulge me a little, and I’ll tell you in all honesty.”

Terrato used to find the little games amusing. When they didn't involve the lives of the Elements of Harmony. “Alright."

Black Rose's gaze suddenly softened. “Tell me, beloved, if I returned the power of sunlight, and turned over my resources, can we go back to how we used to be back then?”

“Yes,” Terrato replied. He matched her tenderness with his own. “You can take your place with me once more. You can lead the Legion as you used to and I’ll defend you from anypony who insists on punishment.”

For a moment, Black Rose's eyes widened in wonder. After that, her lips slowly curved into a smile, culminating with a brief burst of laughter. Terrato let himself chuckle a little as well. “Point taken,” she said.

“I thought so,” Terrato replied. There was no need to say anything else to say about that pointless, indulgent idea. The trust was gone. He was never going to believe any surrender from her, and she was never going to believe any promise of reprieve. “Now, can we get to more serious things?”

“That was a serious thing,” Black Rose replied quietly. “But I will talk about Rainbow Dash. She’s in a rather uncomfortable situation at the moment.” She took a more reassuring tone. “There’s no need to worry. I don’t want the Elements of Harmony dead.”

“Where is she?”

“Now where’s the fun in just telling you right away? That would leave poor Longstride in a bad spot.”

‘Longstride,” Terrato thought. That silent pegasus who always kept to himself even when the rest of the Thorns were together. Black Rose was pitting her thorns against the Elements of Harmony. “What happened to ‘in all honesty’?” he asked.

“Isn't my reassurance enough?” Black Rose asked. She put on a mock hurt face. He snorted at the posturing. “Very well, since you’re so serious. I wish to negotiate a trade. I will set your Special Operations on the right path towards Rainbow Dash. Mind you, I won’t offer them gift-wrapped. I also have a good idea of what’s going on in the Eternal Herd. I have some tidbits that you are certain to find useful about the oh-so-charming Gravitas.”

“And what do you want in return?” Terrato asked.

“A meeting with you in person,” Black Rose replied. Any trace of mocking or amusement disappeared from her face. “Just the two of us in a specified place. No violence, or trickery. I will tell you all I have just promised.”

“What’s wrong with magical communication?”

Black Rose’s tone saddened. “If you don’t understand, my prince, ‘stone-cold’ is too warm a term for you. I think you do understand, though. It’s just a little difficult to accept because of the things I've had to do.’

Terrato did understand. He also understood that dealing with the Ninth Rebellion would be far easier than this. Oceanus was strong enough to rip him, and his sisters apart with glee, but he was a complete monster that Terrato could charge at without hesitation. “Name the place,” he said.

The smile returned to Black Rose’s face. “Won’t your sisters be suspicious?” she asked. “Shouldn't you consult with them first?”

“They already are,” Terrato replied. “And with good reason.” He could imagine some the responses already. Luna would vehemently refuse, and say that Black Rose may as well dangle a giant cage over a piece of carrot. She’d have a point too. This had all the signs of a trap. A void knife to the heart, and Black Rose would have the power of earth, if she didn't explode from taking in too much. Although, it could be argued that the obviousness was the guarantee that it wasn't. And what for? Some bits of information that he could acquire through other means? ‘No,’ he admitted to himself. He knew the truth. The information was important, and were what pushed him to risk this, but that he also wanted to see Black Rose in person.

As for Celestia…he pushed the thought away. If this had happened yesterday, he’d have a clear idea of what Celestia would say. This morning muddled those expectations up. “Well?” he asked. “Let’s hear it.”

“The Heavenly Basin,” Black Rose said.

Terrato snorted. The Heavenly Basin: the place where it all should have ended. Getting there alone would be quite a trip. Black Rose was giving Longstride a head start. He hoped that Rainbow was made of sterner stuff. “Let me make some arrangements,” he replied. There would be plenty of those. He was meeting the enemy in a place of her choosing. Preparations had to be made, including contingencies in case Equestria had to function without him.

For an instant, it seemed as if Black Rose’s face had lit up in anticipation. Then, she had that serene smile once more.

“I’ll see you there then.”

PreviousChapters Next