• Published 22nd Feb 2012
  • 42,722 Views, 8,607 Comments

Griffin the Griffin - BlackWing

  • ...
294
 8,607
 42,722

PreviousChapters Next
Manehatten (60)

Manehatten

"Oh Gearzy, I have something to show you...." I called in a sing-song manner.

"Yes Cable my love?" He replied.

"Wait, what? EEEEwwww no!"

"Tch. YOU. My beloved is ze ONLY one who may call me Gearzy. Surprisingly, your voices sound alike when you sing." He laughed as he scowled. Yep, response doesn't match expression, he's crazy.

"Are you saying my singing voice sounds like a girl?"

"Are you saying mein wife's singing voice sounds like a boy?"

"No?" Yes it does, I've heard her sing, and despite not making any sense, she's a tenor. Her normal voice is high, but when singing, she's a tenor. I mentally picture the ancient aliens guy holding his hands in front of him with the word 'ponies' down in front.

"Then yes."

"Damn. Well, anyway. Time to mess with your head. I'm an alien, from an alternate universe where the dominant species is highly evolved apes. We have incredible technology, including, but not limited to, telecommunications, electricity, radiation, mechanical supersonic flight, space travel, and the ability to blow our entire planet up. We've started building a colony on the moon, and we've mapped out a great deal of the brain. We've made machines that can think faster than we can, and have a massive library containing all the information in the world and we can access it all instantly from something the size of my hand. We have an absurd capacity for learning, and we waste it making mental garbage and killing each other. Forma versus."

"Ack, if you are going to lie, at least make ze lie believable. Such claims are outrageous. I really think you ought to have your head examined." He turned around to look at his machines, taking a sip from his tea cup, realized it was an oil can, then took his actual teacup to try and wash the taste out.

"And I really think YOU ought to have your EYES examined. Turn around."

"What, do you have some kind of proof of your clai-pffffffffffffffffffffffffffft." He promptly covered me in lukewarm tea and horse spit.

"Thanks Gear. I reeeeeeaaaallllyyyy appreciate that." I said sarcastically as I wiped my face with my hand, then flicked the gunk onto the floor. "Your first encounter with an advanced alien race, and you spit on them. Remind me to never make you an ambassador."

"B-b-b-b-b but..... what? Then...... ze......" Jaw dropped to the floor cartoonishly. Seriously, is dislocating your jaw a natural reflex for when a pony sees something they can't comprehend? He just gawked for a couple minutes before I snapped him back to reality by clearing my throat. Of course, after I dried myself off with a towel.

"Space travel! I cannot believe it! How is it done? You must tell me! I could be ze first pony in space!" Of all the things he got hooked on, it had to be the one thing I know very little about. It had to be space. SPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE.

"I dunno."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"Does every pegasus have an adeptness for building machines? Is every unicorn a skilled musician? Not only do I not know any of the specifics, other than they make a cone shaped thing, point it at the sky, and set off a continuous explosion powerful enough to cause earthquakes propelling it upwards, I know nothing about it. Even if I did, physics here are different. Reverti." Now, instead of the science, he's curious about the magic.

"How.... how did you do that? Does your kind know magic as well?" He asked, tilting his head. I forgot. We never told him we had Latin magic. He just figured we were using the method the airship runs on, the same way ovens and toasters in Equestria work, apparently.

"Nope. The human world has no magic. Everything we know about it, we got from a time when our world was connected to yours. I just figured it out while I was here. I am the first human in at least a thousand years to use magic. I figured it all out from my preexisting knowledge of an archaic language and this little amulet."

"Humans? I thought they were just fairy tales. Stories for little fillies and colts before they went to bed."

"And humans think unicorns, pegasi, dragons, griffins and the like are fairy tales for little boys and girls before they go to bed. Funny, ain't it? Anyway, you freaked out, so I win."

"Why did you change back already? Is it not liberating to be in your own form?"

"Heck no. Hmm, weaker, can't fly, poor eyesight, no natural weaponry, I've been a griffin for so long It feels more natural than being human, my body has scars all over it from being beat up, and has a distinct lack of coolness, radicalness, and awesomeness that I find disturbing. Yes, they are different things, just ask the world famous fastest flier in Equestria. Anyway, it's time to get ready."








"Okay, so, we're gonna head south, then go east and hit the colony for the naming ceremony, then back west to Equestria to continue, finally, we'll hit the jungle, grab more food and that herb, then make a beeline back north and do some more raids. First stop, Manehatten!"

We sent the two ships we 'liberated' with some of the tribe members ahead of us to the colony, so that they could be fixed up and refitted into fishing ships before we arrived. They'd have to build a dock, and then the lighthouse could go right above it. I got Steelhorn working on a second laser cannon/spotlight unit, that would be powered by unicorn magic, rather than a colossal and extremely rare gem that takes ten years to make. That was another reason. To open communication and set defenses for this colony, as well as future ones, we needed magic, and the low level magic capability of the non-unicorn species just wasn't enough.

Manehatten was primarily a pegasus and earth pony city. It had unicorns, to be sure, but the number was vastly lower than other locations. Canterlot, with it's unicorn excess, Ponyville, with it's even numbers between the three, Las Pegasus, with it's influx of tourism for a broad variety, and Gallopdin, a site of magical study, would be where we'd get most of our volunteers. Still, we needed somewhere to start, and everyone knows that when you're in Neigh York, if you have musical talent, you have to hit Trotway. My Little Punny, My Little Punny, everyday I've a joke to share........


"Well, here we are. How are we gonna get their attention?"

"Knock?" Trixie offered with a devious smile.

"Hold on, I can't just go blowing things up. Yes, it would be funny, yes, it would be awesome, but, it would be counterproductive to our goals." She huffed and pouted in reluctant acceptance.

'Wait, is Trixie a pyromaniac? Always setting off lights, fire, explosions... Not sure, I'll have to check on it.'

"What about ze statue of harmony?" Geirmund suggested.

"What about it?" I asked in turn.

"Every so often, during large events, they light the torch at the top. There's a large pyre up there, and they light it on fire during celebrations, like the one year they had the Summer Sun Celebration here. It's where Gearzy and I first met." Cable said with dreamy eyes before nuzzling up to him, her full strength restored from the treatment. He chuckled bashfully.

"So, we set it ablaze, and when everyone's attention is drawn to it, we make our move?"

"Ja" Furnace Freud replied.

"Alright. Let's move into position first. Tiras, get on the gun."







"Ah, madame, ze gem set in this ring is of the finest quality, imported straight from ze mines, and cut and polished by ze finest jewelers in Equestria." Pierre was having a slow day. Ever since the disaster of the royal wedding, not many ponies had been eager to get married, most mistrusting their partners as several ponies had been replaced by changelings and had been caught, many more lying in wait to suck up love. Everypony was being super cautious. As such, Pierre was desperate for a sale, which it seemed he wouldn't be getting as the mare walked out of the store without making a purchase.

"Euuugh, these are tough times. Best business I had was that damned griffin. Even if he gouged me, those gems are of a higher quality than what is found here. They simply just are. Princess Celestia put a huge limitation on imported gems recently, due to the fact that they were produced by slave labour getting out, so all the stones I get in here are crap. Might have to close down if I don't get any business soon."

'Pierre' was startled by sudden screams coming from the mare who just left his store, as well as several others out in the street.

"What is the meaning of this! I mean, of zis!"

"We're under attack!" Screamed an eggshell white mare with a red mane.

"They lit the Statue of Harmony's torch on fire!"

"Now they're shooting us with..... fireworks?"









"Good work Trixie, that'll get their attention. Now then, let's get into position in front of the statue and give them a show they'll never forget!"









"What is that? It's..... huge! It shines light a diamond, even at night!" Pierre asked, having lost all semblance of trying to keep up his facade.

"That's the Possibility, the Griffin Pirate's airship. Were they the ones who lit the torch? They're certainly the ones shooting all the fireworks. Does that mean it's a celebration? Of what? Did something happen?" A pale unicorn with two tone mane and hourglass cutie mark proclaimed. Many murmurs of rumor filled the streets as ponies came from their homes to watch the spectacle. Pegasi flew around to get a better look, and many ponies took up positions on their houses. Far more poured into an arena or stadium overlooked by the statue, trying to get a good look at the airship that was blocking the view of the statue. With the fire from the torch behind, and the opaque yet brilliant hull of the ship in front, it was like a mini solar eclipse. And then, a voice washed over the crowd.






"Once there was a city so uptight, there was just no room for fun. But that all changed.... on this one particular night.... when out of nowhere....... this ship showed up." I had Growl use his own singing voice, which was deep baritone and not gravely at all, to narrate. The plank on the side of the ship lowered and landed on a stage in front of the statue, overlooked by the semi-circle seats in stadium.

"And out stepped..... that.... griffin....." They all winced to see the dark shape stepping out of the gleaming airship. He was wearing some kind of strange rainbow clothing. Then, he was followed by another griffin, a unicorn, and two diamond dogs, all wearing the same getup. Finally, a blue dragon stepped out. On the deck of the ship, the crowd could see many more dark shapes, some tall, some short. The torch on the statue was put out, filling the stadium with darkness. Suddenly, the lights on the ship turned on, showing a number of griffins as well as..... cats? on board. One of them was on a fairly large machine, which shone a spotlight on the group on the stage, illuminating them in the dark. And then, a message written on the side of the ship became visible.

If you have any cameras or recording devices, you may want to take them out now, because you don't want to miss this. On cue, a hundred or so cameras, and some video cameras as well, appeared in the hooves of the ponies in the crowd, and some flying overhead as well.

"Musica a Memoria!"


The sound of an air horn repeatedly filled the air along with a catchy beat, the whole crew began head bobbing, which then gave way to the voice of the infamous captain of the Griffin pirates over the microphone which was part of the stage.



We like to party
We like, we like to party
We like to party
We like, we like to party
We like to party
We like, we like to party
We like to party


And then Gilda began to sing as well, while all the rest danced.


I've got something to tell ya
I've got news for you
Gonna put some wheels in motion
Get ready 'cause we're coming through
Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
Happiness is just around the corner
Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
We'll be there for you


At this point the ponies sitting in their seats jumped up from them, and began to dance as well. Several of the more snooty ponies tried to leave, knowing what this was about to become, but were dragged back into it by the other, overzealous ponies.


The Vengabus is coming
And everybody's jumping
New York to San Fransisco
An intercity disco
The wheels of steel are turning
And traffic lights are burning
So if you like to party
Get on and move your body


And then the entire group on stage, as well as all the beings along the rail of the airship joined in, everyone singing both parts of the song, all the while engaged in dance. Cameras flashed, shouting and hollering were aplenty, and several spectators began to dance and sing as well.


We like to party
We like, we like to party
We like to party
We like, we like to party

Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
Happiness is just around the corner
Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
We'll be there for you

The Vengabus is coming
And everybody's jumping
New York to San Fransisco
An intercity disco
The wheels of steel are turning
And traffic lights are burning
So if you like to party
Get on and move your body


And now all the ponies joined in. Of course, they changed words like 'New York' to 'Neigh York', but at the motion of everyone swinging their arms/forelegs up in the air and holding the mike towards the crowd, they really had no choice but to join it.


We like to party
We like, we like to party
We like to party
We like, we like to party
We like to party
We like, we like to party
We like to party
We like, we like to party

The Vengabus is coming, the Vengabus is coming
The Vengabus is coming, the Vengabus is..

The Vengabus is coming
And everybody's jumping
New York to San Fransisco
An intercity disco
The wheels of steel are turning
And traffic lights are burning
So if you like to party
Get on and move your body
The Vengabus is coming



The song ended, and the Griffin Pirates collapsed on the stage floor in laughter, while Trixie launched another wave of fireworks, lighting the sky brilliantly for a moment before they faded, their multicoloured sparks bouncing off the hull of the ship, making it glimmer a rainbow hue. Shimmer blew a spout of pale blue flame straight into the air (she had matured somewhat, so her flame had taken on a different colour, apparently they do that several times during maturation, ranging from once to over a hundred times over their lifespan at various points of maturation, depending on development), and Tiras flashed the spotlight like a strobe.


"Sonor. HELLO MANEHATTEN"

"WOOOOOOOOOOOO!" The crowd returned.

"TELL ME, WHO AM I?"

"GRIFFIN!"

"AND WHAT ARE WE?"

"PIRATES!"

"That's right. But we're not ordinary pirates. We work outside the law, but we don't plunder or pillage..... much." The crowd laughed at my joke.

"No, we do something far more important than fulfillment of greed. Can anyone tell me what that might be?" Hushed murmurs as the crowd discussed it to themselves, not really knowing.

"I thought so. And THAT, my ponies, is a problem. Equestria is a land of peace and harmony, but right outside it's borders is a land gripped...... by HATRED!" The crowd let out a collective gasp. Of course, I used the line that brought so much shock at Hearth's Warming when Spike used it. Hey, it works right?

"That's right. Even as we speak, griffins, diamond dogs, ponies, and maybe even some dragons, toil in obscurity, working in the mines, digging up gems for the greedy leaders of the diamond dog packs. They have no rolling green fields, no parties, no open sky, wind in their feathers, fur, and manes, heck, they don't even have food or clean water. No, all they have is dark earth, stone, shackles, dusty air and getting whipped for working too slow." More gasps, several ponies fainted.

"Above all, they have fear. They work themselves to the bone, no premise of reward, because they are afraid. Afraid of what will happen to them if they don't. Afraid of starving, afraid of.... being eaten. Nobody should have to live like that. It is our mission to change this. The Griffin Pirates are hereby declaring WAR on slavery and injustice, so that we can bring peace to a land that hasn't known it in over a thousand years. The problem is, we can't do it alone. We need your help." The crowd looked to themselves in confusion, before finally, a dark yellow earth pony stallion, with an orange mane and I kid you not, the tri-force on a gold headband as a cutie mark, spoke up.

"Mah boi, peace is what all true warriors strive for, how can we help?" Oh dear god, Must. Not. Laugh. Failing. MISERABLY. Giggle suppression overloaded. I took a few moments to compose myself before I answered.

"What we need is not wealth, we have plenty of that. Nor do we need resources, as we have a source of that as well. What we need, is you."

"Then, you are raising an army? You would have us fight?" One of the ponies asked accusingly.

"Oh no no no no goodness no. You ponies, for the most part, can't fight. Definitely not. We can handle the combat. What we need is organization. As our numbers increase, we become more spread out, and need to keep in touch with each other. Synchronizing operations. Long distance communication. Ponies would never see the front lines of combat. You'd all be completely safe. We'll take anyone we can get, but for the most part, we need unicorns."


"Why unicorns specifically?" Another called, unseen in the mass of ponies.

"Magic. Unicorns can use magic to send messages back and forth, coordinate our movements, keep our operations neat, organized, and well timed. We need unicorns who specialize in telepathy or other forms of alternative communication. Also, a large portion of our systems use magic to work, and while mostly autonomous, the colonies we are founding will need at least one unicorn living there to operate the lighthouse and watch tower. We need ponies who are good at organizing, scheduling, keeping things running smoothly. Unicorns would be best because of also supplying the magic needed, but we'll take anyone qualified. As you might be able to tell by the makeup of our motley crew, we don't discriminate."

"So then, is this conscription? We know of your connection to Canterlot royalty...."

"No, this is volunteer only. We only take those who want to go. Now, keep in mind that if you come along, you'll be in it for the long run, or at least till we swing back around and drop you off again. We're not taking anyone right now, it's too soon. We'll be ending our tour in Canterlot, with the Grand Galloping Gala. That's where we'll take any who want to come and fit our requirements. What I want for you, is to spread this message around. Let it be known throughout this great nation, that any who are itching for adventure, have a bad case of wanderlust, or want to make the world a better place, the Griffin Pirates and the tribe of the White Wind are recruiting."

"Looking to make a new life for yourself, get away from the drudgery and boredom of everyday life? We'll show you the world. As a very angry but wise one once said," I adopted a Texan accent. "SPREAD IT AROUND LIKE WILD FIRE!" Ha! Take that Ghost! I'm in Equestria and I just quoted you. I almost wish they'd put me in an episode now, because even if I'll never hear about it, I just KNOW you'll rage. Trololo.

"Now, I know you've all got a lot of thinking to do, but think about it later. Right now, I have a question. Manehatten? ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?"

PreviousChapters Next