• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 3,370 Views, 123 Comments

Exam Jitters - GrassAndClouds2



A freak accident results in Ditzy Doo becoming very protective of her daughter, but when Dinky becomes eligible for an incredible opportunity, Ditzy must decide between keeping her safe and letting her grow. A Lunaverse story.

  • ...
10
 123
 3,370

In Which Dinky Is Honored

“Momma! Momma!”

Ditzy yawned as she awoke, once again, to the sight of her daughter’s smiling face. “Yes, Muffin?”

Dinky was bouncing so high that she looked like Pinkie Pie had been giving her lessons. “Momma! We have to hurry or we’ll miss the Hoofington train!”

Ditzy stretched as she looked around. She was back in her own apartment, curled up on the couch. She shook her head slightly, trying to remember what had happened. “What...”

The memories came back. She had found Dinky at Applejack’s place, safe and warm. The apple farmer had insisted that they stay at least until the rain had stopped, and so the Doos had taken seats by the fire and toasted marshmallows with Apple Bloom and Applejack. Big Macintosh had returned a few moments later, said that he’d sent Bonbon on home, and then joined them. It had been a peaceful evening.

The rain had stopped just before midnight. Applejack had offered to let them stay the night, but Dinky had looked like she’d wanted nothing more than to go to sleep in her own warm bed. With another round of thanks to the Apples, and a promise that she would take care of Apple Bloom the next time they needed a sitter, Ditzy had gotten Dinky on her back and had trotted home. They had made it, gotten inside, embraced one more time, and collapsed on the couch... which was where Ditzy was now, looking at her bright-eyed daughter.

“I’m so excited! I’ve always wanted to see Hoofington! Can we go to the Animal Library? Miss Fluttershy once told me they have the cutest puppies in Equestria, and they let you play with them! And I really want to see the statue of Chancellor Puddinghead standing on her head!”

Ditzy smiled as she embraced her daughter again. “I’m so glad that I found you. Dear, I’m sorry--”

“I already forgave you, Momma,” said Dinky. She ducked out of the hug. “Oh! While we’re in Hoofington, can we try the chocolate donuts? Miss Pinkie Pie said the Hoofington chocolate donuts are the twelfth-best donuts in Equestria!”

Ditzy hesitated. She had told Dinky that they might go up to Hoofington, and her daughter seemed really eager, but with all that had happened, she felt a twinge of fear. Hoofington was big, and nopony knew her there. What if she was separated from Dinky and couldn’t find her? She wouldn’t know where to even begin looking.

“Oh, and maybe we can see Swan Lake? I heard they have really pretty swans, and they come right up to you so you can feed them bread!”

Ditzy opened her mouth to say that she was very tired and would prefer if they spent the day in Ponyville, but then closed it again. How could she deny such a simple pleasure to her daughter? Dinky was everything she could ask for. What kind of terrible mother would look at such a perfect daughter and cancel a trip for no other reason than her own selfish fear?

“And we could even go to the Candy Factory! Bonbon told me once they have a big factory where they make all kinds of candies, and they let some tour groups see it all close up! And Snails says he went once and he got stuck in the taffy machine and got stretched out, which is why he’s so tall and skinny. Although Miss Cheerilee says that probably didn’t happen...”

Ditzy said nothing. She was torn, unable to say whether they would go or not. If they went, she could lose Dinky and she would be a bad mother. If they stayed in Ponyville, she would be horrible anyway for disregarding the wishes of her only child. A tear crept to her eye. What do I do?

Dinky hesitated. “Are you okay, Momma?” she snuggled closer. “Your eyes are leaking.”

“Momma’s fine, Muffin,” whispered Ditzy, pulling Dinky tight. “She’s just... she’s very sad that she let you down last night.”

“Don’t be sad!” Dinky protested. “I don’t want you to be sad, Momma!” She hugged Ditzy even harder, as if she could squeeze the sadness out of her. “I’m fine! And I had a really good time with Scootaloo and Pipsqueak and Sweetie Belle, and Applejack and Apple Bloom were really nice too!”

“I know, but...”

Dinky paused for a moment. “Momma... we don’t have to go to Hoofington if you don’t want to. We could have a picnic in White-Tail Woods, or--”

“No, I want to!” protested Ditzy. “It’s just...”

What do I do? I wish somepony else was here that I could ask for advice. If one of my friends--

A thought struck her.

Wait, yes... one of my friends... Her heart slowed down a bit, and she began to breathe easier. Her friends were good. They would never lose a foal. They could help her.

“Muffin, we’re going to Hoofington,” she told Dinky. “And we’re going to see absolutely everything that you want.”

“Are you sure? If you don’t want--”

“I’m sure!” Ditzy got to her hooves, rolling Dinky up and onto her back. “We’ll see the Candy Factory and the statue of Puddinghead and Swan Lake and everything else! And I’ll see if we can’t get a friend to come along with us.”

Dinky brightened. “Oh wow! That’s great, Momma! Miss Cheerilee says that everything is more fun with friends!”

“Miss Cheerilee is a very smart mare.”

Dinky nodded and began to chatter about her teacher, about the stories she had told and some of the adventures the class was certain she’d been on (“Archer says he heard from a trusted source that Miss Cheerilee used to be an archer in the elk army! And Snips says she was the secret head of the Night Court, but she left after a while because she wanted to be nice and give Princess Luna and the other ponies a chance to run things.”) The little unicorn laughed and giggled. Ditzy noted that she sounded just like a foal who hadn’t been abandoned out in the rain by her mother.

Ditzy laughed too as she got cleaned up and went with Dinky to exit her apartment. Even if she had failed, her friends wouldn’t. They were good ponies, reliable and true. They wouldn’t fail her.

***

“Feeling okay?”

Ditzy rubbed a weary hoof as she sat at the little counter. “Yes, I’m fine,” she told Trixie. “How are you?”

The two watched as Dinky scampered around with a fluffy, big-eared puppy. The foal was laughing and giggling so hard that she was causing spontaneous smiles to break out in faces all throughout the pet library. Even Ditzy, who had spent most of the day in a state of nervous anxiety, was soothed by this.

Dinky had wanted to go play with the puppy, not just in the indoor room, but in the large backyard section. Ditzy had been reluctant to allow that, though, since the backyard was big enough that Ditzy might have lost sight of Dinky. Dinky had seemed to understand when Ditzy asked her daughter to stay indoors, and she certainly seemed to be having plenty of fun as she pet and ran around with the puppy. Ditzy smiled as she watched her daughter. She's such a good foal...

“I’m good," said Trixie. "Always wanted to visit Hoofington. Even better doing it with a friend, right?”

“Why haven’t you ever come here before?” the pegasus asked.

“I might have, um, soaked the local Lord Mayor when I melted the ice palace, and he just might be the sort to hold grudges...”

Ditzy giggled. “Thank you for coming,” she told her friend. “It means a lot to me.”

“Bonbon told Lyra what happened, and Lyra told me.” Trixie touched Ditzy’s hoof. “You know it’s not your fault, right? It was really bad luck.”

Ditzy shook her head. “There’s no bad luck in parenting. If I had paid more attention to my daughter, if I had set my alarm properly--”

“Ditzy, you couldn’t possibly have anticipated that, after the one night you spent awake helping a friend, there’d be a huge rainstorm. Or that Lyra and Carrot Top and Cheerilee and I would be away helping Green Grapes keep her irrigation system from backing up and drowning her fields.” Trixie shook her head slightly. “It was really, really, really bad luck -- and it still all worked out.”

“No thanks to me.” Ditzy sighed. “I never claimed to be perfect, but I thought I could keep my daughter safe. When she really needed me, when she was stuck in the cold and soaked and there was thunder overhead, where was I? I was home, asleep, completely useless. I couldn’t do anything for her--”

“You taught her what to do in case of an emergency. She was able to figure out where to go, and how to leave a trail for you to follow her.” Trixie sounded unusually sincere. “I’ve known a lot of mothers, Ditzy. Trust me. You are still the best that I know. I can’t think of anypony who would have handled that mess better than you.”

Ditzy hesitated. “But Trixie... what if she’d gotten hurt? What if she’d gotten lost, or stuck in a mudpit, or struck by lightning or something?” She shut her eyes. “What if that happened?”

“What if she got up one normal night when you were asleep, and slipped into a table and knocked her head?” Trixie asked. “Ditzy, you can’t always be there for your daughter. It’s just not possible.” She smiled and poked her. “You know that, right? No matter what you do, you can’t keep her perfectly safe. No mother can.”

“I know, but--”

“What you can do, though, is keep her as safe as you can, and raise her so that she’s good and smart, and help her figure out how to make decisions when she’s in trouble so that she doesn’t get hurt. Which you did, and which she was able to do.” Trixie turned Ditzy so they had locked eyes. “Ditzy. You did everything right. And because of that, Dinky didn’t stay out in the rain waiting for you forever, and she didn’t run off in a random direction. She found shelter. She made herself safe... thanks to your teaching and parenting. You have nothing to be ashamed of.”

“Maybe you’re right...”

“Of course I’m right. I’m the Great and Powerful Trixie, and--”

“Wheee!” Dinky had climbed on the back of the large puppy, which was now trotting after a cat. Dinky cheered as she rode the dog all around the lounge of the pet library. “Go catch her, Woofie!”

Trixie grinned. “You,” she told Ditzy, “Are doing a great job as a mother. Dinky is happy and healthy and moral and brilliant in every way. You’ve raised her right.”

“...I just get so worried sometimes,” said Ditzy. “This isn’t like work. If I misdeliver a letter, it’s bad, but I can fix it. I can’t fix it if I screw up with Dinky and she gets hurt.”

“You won’t screw up.” Trixie leaned in close to her friend. “And if you ever think you’re about to, talk to me and the other Elements. We are your friends. We’ll help you.”

Ditzy hugged Trixie. “You’re the best friend I could have.”

Trixie blushed.

And then Dinky was running up to them with a huge grin on her face. “Momma! Momma, that was great, that was so much fun! Thank you so so much!” She bounced onto Ditzy’s back and embraced her, covering her with hugs and kisses. “That was AMAZING!”

Ditzy grinned. “I’m glad you had fun, Dearie.”

“Momma? Can we maybe come back some time, and bring Miss Fluttershy? I think she’d really, really, really love this place!” Dinky bounced up and down. “And the animals would love her!”

“That’s a splendid idea, dear.” Dittzy rose and began to walk. “Trixie, would you like to see Swan Lake?”

“The Great and Powerful--”

“Hey!” A pony by the entrance stared. “Ain't you that Trixie mare? The one that melted an ice palace on our Lord Mayor?” He turned to a companion. “Look, it’s Trixie--”

“Where?”

Ditzy turned to see that Trixie had gone invisible. “The Great and Powerful Trixie,” the showmare whispered in her ear, “Would love to see Swan Lake! But perhaps in a disguise. They have a clothing district, right?”

Dinky said, “Oh! You should wear a fake mustache! And get a really fun hat! Then nopony will recognize you!”

“A mustache?” Trixie snorted. “That isn’t really me...”

Dinky giggled, and the trio walked out into the streets of Hoofington.

***

It was a good day.

Ditzy smiled as she tucked Dinky into bed and walked back into her living room. The pet library, Swan Lake, the monument district, a short foal’s play at a bright and peppy little theatre, and then they headed to the little town of Wheatley, halfway between Hoofington and home, for dinner. Dinky had loved the floating cracker dish, in which a unicorn had enchanted a bowl of flavorful crackers to float around so that Dinky would have to catch them to eat them. Ditzy and Trixie had eaten more conventional fare, and then the trio had returned to Ponyville.

Dinky had enjoyed herself, and she hadn’t gotten lost or in trouble once. Ditzy nodded as she began to put on a pot of tea. Trixie was probably right. She really was a good mother, and she could take care of her daughter. She’d had a scare, but everything had worked out... and besides, she had her friends to call on if she needed help. She didn’t need to worry so much. Nothing would happen to her daughter. As long as Ditzy could keep her daughter close to herself or her friends, nothing would happen at all.

Besides, Dinky was still supervised for most of the day. She was usually at school with Cheerilee, or at home with Ditzy, or studying magic with Trixie. The rainstorm had been a freak aberration, an unlikely string of coincidences that would, in all probability, never repeat. And, if she felt it necessary, Ditzy could exercise a little more supervision over Dinky's leisure time... Dinky would understand. The days would settle into their usual routines. Dinky would go to school, play with her friends, have fun with her mother, and wouldn’t get stuck in any more storms. Ditzy would see to it.

The mailmare’s thoughts were interrupted by the whistle of her teakettle. She poured herself a cup, then went to the couch to sit down. Dinky was asleep, and she had no other responsibilities for the night. She could just relax and drink tea, and think of what to do the next day. There were many options, and--

Somepony knocked at the door.

Ditzy sighed to herself, wondering who would be stopping by so late. I need to get it... it could be somepony else who needs a friendly ear. But I do wish they would come by during daylight hours more often. With a rueful smile, she rose and stepped over to the door. "Hello?"

"Ditzy, it's me! I've got some amazing news!"

Ditzy smiled upon hearing the voice of Blackcherry Lee 'Cheerilee' Punch, the Element of Laughter and one of her close personal friends. Opening the door, she warmly embraced Cheerilee. "Hello! I've got some tea on that we can share. Just be careful to keep your voice down." She chuckled. "My little Muffin had a big day."

"Trixie was just telling me all about it," said Cheerilee as she stepped inside. "Sounds like Dinky has quite the way with animals."

"Fluttershy's told me so a few times." Ditzy poured some tea for Cheerilee. "What brings you here? Not that I'm not happy to just chat--"

"Oh no, it's not just that. First--" Cheerilee leaned forward. "Dinky is alright, isn't she? I'm so sorry I wasn't around the other day--"

"It's not your fault." Ditzy nodded. "It was just... like Trixie said. A really bad accident. But Dinky is alright, and I'll make very sure that never happens again. Thank you for your concern, though."

Cheerilee nodded. "I'm glad she's alright. You really do have an amazing daughter."

"I know."

"That's actually why I stopped by." Cheerilee opened her saddlebag and withdrew a thick envelope. "Remember that scholarship I had to submit some student names for?"

"Yes...?"

"I just heard back." Cheerilee's face split into a big smile. "Dinky made the semifinalist list!" She passed Ditzy the letter. "This confirms it! She's eligible to take a test, and if she passes--"

"Wait, what list?" Ditzy blinked several times. "What exactly was that submission for?"

"Are you familiar with the Sharpwhinny Academy?"

The mailmare thought back. "A prep school in Manehattan. They're supposed to be really academically strong in all sorts of areas -- every kind of art and science, magic, leadership, everything." She chuckled. "When I was little, I'd hoped they'd ask me to go there, because then I'd be able to study hard and become the dancer-slash-astronaut-slash-princess-slash-pirate that I wanted to be. But you couldn't apply, they have to... to ask..."

She trailed off. "Cheerilee, you don't mean -- I mean, Dinky can go--"

"Not yet." Cheerilee held up a hoof to cut Ditzy off. "Equestria has 100 million ponies, and about 2.8 million foals of the right age to attend Sharpwhinny. Teachers all over Equestria are asked to submit their top two or three students for consideration, so that's about 400,000 names." She paused. "Well, not all teachers are asked -- some provinces use standardized tests, and do it that way. But elsewhere, teachers are allowed to use their own judgement."

"The entering class can't be 400,000 ponies," said a confused Ditzy.

"It isn't. The committee looks over the submitted names and narrows it down to what they see as the top 10% -- 40,000 foals. Those foals are the semifinalists, and Dinky Doo is one of them." Cheerilee nodded. "Those foals are permitted to take an entrance exam -- usually, about 10,000 do; the rest either not wanting to go to Sharpwhinny, or having parents who don't want them to leave. Of those that take the test, the top 100 are admitted." The teacher hesitated. "I won't pretend that the odds are good -- only about 1% of those who take the test qualify. But still, Dinky's been ranked as a semifinalist in the first place -- that's an amazing accomplishment. And if she does get in, Ditzy, the possibilities... graduating from Sharpwhinny is the closest thing you can get to a guaranteeor of success. That school's produced generals, statesmares, business leaders, archmages... anything Dinky could want to do, Sharpwhinny would prepare her for."

Ditzy sat very still for a few moments while she processed this. Once she thought she understood, she allowed herself to grin. "Cheerilee, that's... that's incredible. It's amazing. Thank you so much for nominating Dinky--"

"I nominated the most deserving students. Dinky earned it." Cheerilee hugged her again. "As your daughter's teacher, all I can say is that your daughter has proven herself to be near enough the top of the class to justify nominating her. As your friend... I can say that it's rare that I have a student as amazing as her. She is a very special foal, Ditzy."

"I still can't believe it. Sharpwhinny Academy." Ditzy let out a laugh -- albeit a soft one -- and shook her head. "Still, the top 100 foals in the nation, that's..."

"They have to be somepony, and there's no reason why Dinky can't earn a slot."

"Has anypony from Ponyville ever gone?"

"Mayor Mare, way back in the day. Also Sterling Silver, I think."

The mayor, and the richest businesspony in town. Ditzy could scarcely believe it. "What happens next, then?"

"If Dinky wants to go -- and you want her to go -- she needs to sit the test. It's next Saturday at noon, at the regional testing center. Mayor Mare pushed to have it here in Ponyville -- she's a graduate, so she's got some weight, and I offered to talk to the parents -- as both an educator and an Element -- while they wait for their foals to finish the test. Should be a nice tourism boost to the town, and it makes the commute easy for you." Cheerilee chuckled again. "They change the test enough each year that there's no real preparation Dinky can do for it; they want to evaluate intelligence, not test-taking. Just make sure she's got plenty of rest the night before, and a good meal the morning of, and Dinky should be fine."

"I think I can handle that." Ditzy was starting to get her mind around what Dinky had just earned. She could see her daughter attending one of the very best schools in the nation, learning as much as she possibly could. She could see Dinky becoming a great businessmare, or a famous mage that could rival Twilight Sparkle, or a noble in the Night Court, leading Equestria into a new age of greatness. Sharpwhinny set ponies for life, it gave them the skills they needed, and--

"I imagine it'll be something of a change for you too," said Cheerilee as she drained the last of her tea. "But I bet Pinkie will throw the biggest parties in Ponyville history when Dinky returns!"

"Returns?" Ditzy blinked. "What do you mean?"

"Sharpwhinny's a boarding school," said Cheerilee. "I believe the current term lengths are twelve weeks, with a four-week break between terms. But during terms, Dinky would have to live at the school. You could see her during evenings and weekends, but she wouldn't be allowed to leave except for school trips or in case of some emergency. It's to ensure that the learning experience is uninterrupted -- you know, total immersion and all that. It also helps the students bond and form friendships. They come from all over Equestria, so if they were going home all the time they'd never see each other again except in class."

Twelve week terms? Dinky would be away in a big city for twelve weeks at a time? Ditzy was frozen for a moment. If Dinky got in to Sharpwhinny, she’d be going to Manehattan. And she wouldn’t be back. For three months, she'd be gone.

Ditzy took a sharp breath of air. If Dinky qualified, she'd be away in a distant city -- where anything could happen to her. And there’d be no one to watch out for her. She wouldn’t be able to seek shelter at Applejack’s if she got wet, or run to Trixie if she got hurt. She wouldn’t be anywhere near her mother; if something happened, it might be days before Ditzy even knew. Dinky would be on her own -- no friends, no family, no safety.

For a moment, Ditzy thought of Dinky, lost in a big city, crying on a street corner, covered in rain and mud and soot as the uncaring pedestrians walked by.

“Well!” she heard herself saying. “This is a fantastic opportunity. It’s amazing. It's... really good. Thank you for notifying me, Cheerilee.”

"You're welcome. If Dinky wants to attend, just have her take the test -- that's it. Good luck!" Cheerilee hugged Ditzy one more time. "I should be getting back to my house -- I think my fish are getting antsy. And, a few goodbyes later, she was gone.

Ditzy was alone in her living room. "Yes," she said, setting the Sharpwhinny letter down on her coffee table. "This is a fantastic opportunity. Sharpwhinny won't let her come to any harm. They're good at what they do." She nodded. "I can let Dinky go away. I don't need to worry about anything. Dinky will be fine... and I'll be fine."

And, after saying it a few times, she almost believed it.

Author's Note:

Horray, Dinky is getting honored! I foresee no problems with this.

The numbers: RDD said that Equestria has about 100,000,000 ponies. Assuming their population is roughly proportional in age to the US, I used census data to determine how many of those ponies would be under age 17 (the lowest bracket on the census that I found). Then, assuming there isn't a spate of foal deaths, I assumed a uniform distribution under that bracket. I came up with 2.8 million as the number of foals of the right age to qualify. Then I figured teachers would nominate 2 or 3 students per class (assuming average class size of 20, that's about 15%) to get 400,000 or so nominees, then the admissions committee cuts that down to the top 10% or 40,000 (this stops teachers from just nominating politically connected foals in exchange for favors; the admissions committee can figure this out and disqualify those nominees), then only 10,000 take the test, and then only the top 1% of test-takers qualify.

Dinky being brilliant: I'm deliberately leaving it vague as to why why Dinky made the cut from 400,000 nominees to the top 10% of that. Personally, I like the idea that Dinky is smart and a very dedicated worker and so does very well in school, maybe 3rd in the class or something, and that this would be apparent in the information Cheerilee submitted. If we decide to go back on that later and make her more average, she could then have made the cut because Daughter of Element or something.