• Published 28th Oct 2011
  • 22,164 Views, 57 Comments

Adored - Earl Grey



The Great and Powerful Trixie is given a spell that makes everypony lover her

  • ...
12
 57
 22,164

Author's Notes/Changelog (Contains Spoilers)

As I've made some Major edits to the fic, I've decided to turn this post into a collection of Author's Notes (The original story had a lot of Author's Notes) and I'll use it to store the Changelog so you can see what was changed between versions.

That being said, this post is one big spoiler, so if you haven't already... read the fic, It will be in the post under this one entitled Adored: Redux

...

off with you...


Anyway, on with the Notes.

A one-shot I've worked on for the past week. It's been really fun to just sit down and type out whatever comes into my head and inventing the plot as I think of it. This has been, pretty much, a stream of consciousness thing. Instead of focusing too much on the background, I've put more emphasis on the characters, the interactions and trying to build Trixie as the most obnoxious thing on the planet and working character development into that.

Hope I've succeeded.

As I said above, This wasn't planned, none of it was something that I thought, "oh, that would be good in a fic" it was all just made as I got to that part.

The whole Luna travelling thing? I only realised I could twist into a Season 2 Episode 4 foreshadow after the fact. I suppose it explains her absence throughout Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2 *shrugs*

The orange unicorn at the beginning, you can look at it in two ways, it was a pony being controlled by the spirit of Discord. Or you could see it as Discord himself, but only a fraction of his power, a weak avatar that he managed to create because of the weakening of the Elements link to Celestia and Luna, this being one of his first acts of chaos. Pity that the only change he made was one for the good.

Trixie was slowly becoming nicer throughout the fic. At the start she was an arrogant ass, then by the time she got to Luna's room, she was nice enough to allow Twilight to rest with her. You could argue Twilight's apology (thus burgeoning Friendship. It's MAGIC!) it sped up the spells process because her natural instincts were to be nice, plus that bed was really comfortable... like, better than a cloud comfortable. Even Discord'd Rarity would share that bad boy.

Her usual "Trixie" traits slowly fade away with time, her speech is more happy, respectful and she stops referring to herself in the third person. Eventually she differentiates the two personas to help the disassociation process and accept her new self.

In Twilight's case, at the start, she loves Trixie because the spell dictates it, as it fades (and as Trixie gets nicer) she becomes friends with Trixie and then the real relationship begins because Twilight is acting on her own feelings instead of the ones dictated by the spell. Which had long since faded at this point.

Friendship > Discord. Proven by Science

Overall, the theme is Friendship can overcome any challenge thrown at you (obvious S1E2 NMM fight reference is obvious)

Friendship and Love people. All that lovely mushy stuff.


Those are the original Notes for the fic. Some of the stuff in there isn't really applicable any more because of small changes to the plot which will be described in the Changelog. I'll keep them here though, for posterity.


CHANGELOG

-Rewriting quite a lot of sentences

-Fixing grammar

-Actually showing instead of telling

-Reworking the comedy so it isn't random and is more situational humour

-Adding humanity (equinity?) to Luna's character so she isn't just a throwaway character (see note on random comedy)

-Adding an entirely new scene between the restaurant scene and the garden scene. In the original, the friendship evolved too fast so this scene will add a better development across time.

-Reworked the dialogue and reactions so Trixie isn't so aware of her feelings until much later and that Twilight's feelings are made somewhat obvious and Trixie is reacting somewhat oddly towards them.

-Added scene after the garden scene but before the Canterlot freak out scene. The previous version moved WAY too fast, this added scene delivers some much needed slow down and foreshadowing of Trixie's thought towards the sudden change in the spell's effect and her thoughts towards Twilight.

- Reworking the Canterlot freak out scene to stretch it out, make it more tense/actiony. Give it more impact towards the next section of the plot. (Hoo Doggie! Things got a little intense with this section, I did something a little different from what I planned [what's new?] Instead of just adding the extra scene and connecting the two together by writing up to it and letting it lead off, I completely rewrote the "Trixie rains righteous thunder upon her enemies" section and made it flow a lot better and make it more tense and more actiony and more awesome and more dramatic [ I hope D: ]

-Reworked the Infirmary scene to make Trixie feel more guilty.

-Reworked the plot so Trixie is getting nicer by her own power and not because the spells says she is (It's better that way I think)

-Made it so Trixie shows some/more remorse/guilt for her actions.

-Added a scene where Trixie is shown having consequences for her freak-out and the resulting damage caused. Shows she doesn't get off scot-free.


As you can see in there, I took a lot of the criticism and worked it into the story, adding scenes to stretch out periods where I believe things moved to fast and making it a more interesting reading experience overall.

Hopefully I achieved that.