• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 526 Views, 20 Comments

Ponies All Day-Writing Challenge - ThunderTempest



The end result of a writing challenge, in which I wrote 48 TMP prompts in a single 24 hour period.

  • ...
4
 20
 526

PreviousChapters Next
06:00-06:30 "And I Must Scream"

I looked out over the land I once ruled. This really shouldn’t have come as a surprise, I suppose. I was always going to be the last to go. I was the first to appear. Celestia, dear Celestia was always going to go back to her roots eventually. Those thousand years alone, raising both Sun and Moon only hastened her return. Little Twilight Sparkle, so eager, said she’ll come back. How much of that was her convincing herself of it, I don’t know. Probably most of it. Celestia, typical Celestia, leaving without a single goodbye, just leaving the duties to the next one in line, leaving her chess peices where they landed, no longer able to make them dance to her tune. I’ve always thought Celestia was rather cunning.

And Luna, oh my. So tempestuous, so variable. There was a reason Luna was my favourite Princess, you know. She knew how to have fun, and that delightful mood cycle of hers meant I barely had to push her the first time, before she learned to reign in her emotions. She held on for so long, Luna. Tried to do her sister’s legacy justice, I think. Even with her sister gone, she’s still in her shadow. It’s almost tragic. But she had to give in, let Little Twilight and Cadence raise the sun, while she remained with the moon. I think Luna once tried to explain it to me, but I got bored and floated off. I do that sometimes. And then came Luna’s time to return from whence she came. No, no Nightmare event this time, and I didn’t even have to push. We just woke up one morning, and there was Luna, lowering the moon, and dissolving into mist. At least she said goodbye. No, that’s not a tear.

Cadence, Cadance, Cadence. You know how they say a stranger is just a friend you haven’t met yet? No? Neither do I. I didn’t really know the pretty pink princess, but every time I look at her, I get the urge to throw her and shout “Let’s fly to the Castle!” Probably why we never hung out. Still, I almost admired her, running her own little empire in the north, and helping Twilight with Equestria down here. Almost. When it was time for her to leave, she just dissolved into that crystal heart she holds so dear. Twilight, I think, locked herself in her room for a week, and wouldn’t have remembered to raise the sun or moon had I not done it. And not even a bit of chaos. Well, ok, maybe a bit.

Twilight. Sigh. Aside from Fluttershy, she was the one I grew closest to. I don’t think she ever fully trusted me, but she tolerated me, which is more than someponies have done. That’s something, I think. She wasn’t like Celly, or Luna. Not immortal. Just ascended. All I had to do was snap my paw, cancel the change I’d made long ago, and then her spirit left Equestria.

I am Discord, one-time ruler of Equestria, and I am alone. This...feeling...scares me. Is this what you ponies call grief? Loneliness? I’d give anything to see them again, even stupid little pink pretty princess Cadance.
*snap*

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #289: “Goodbye To Me”
All alone, at the end of the world.

PreviousChapters Next