• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 522 Views, 20 Comments

Ponies All Day-Writing Challenge - ThunderTempest



The end result of a writing challenge, in which I wrote 48 TMP prompts in a single 24 hour period.

  • ...
4
 20
 522

Chapters Next
00:00-00:30 "The Night After"

Despite the reputation it had of being a rather problem town, There weren’t that many bars in Ponyville. Ponies there preffered other solutions to their problems, only resorting to alcohol in times of pure and simple desperation. The two biggest purveyors of alcohol in the town were Berry Punch’s winery, who offered free tastings every Saturday, and the Drunken Horseshoe, just off Mane Street in Ponyville itself. While the Drunken Horseshoe didn’t do a roaring trade, rare was the evening when you couldn’t find a pony in there, sipping a mug of some kind, and Frosty Glass, the owner and bartender, was always behind the counter.

“So yeah, then I go for my cloud-spinner, and I’m all out of balance, and somepony’s left tufts of cloud all over the place. One bit smacks into my face, and the cloud goes spinning towards the Princess, and I can just feel my dreams die there. After all, what kind of pegasus who can’t even keep a cloud under control would be accepted into the Wonderbolts?” Of course, being the bartender, Frosty often got regaled with the drunken stories of what was wrong with their lives, whether he wanted to hear them or not. Fortunately, Rainbow Dash, besides being a semi-frequent customer, always had pretty interesting stories.

“So, what happened after that, D?”
Rainbow took another long pull on her hard cider, and gave a small burp after it went down.
“‘Scuse me. Well, after that,” Rainbow’s speech was beginning to slur by this point in the evening, “Rarity is flying higher and higher, you know, so she can shine the reflection from those...those...stupid wings stupid Twilight gave her onto the stadium, and I’m climbing up after her, getting as much height as I can for the Rainboom. Then, next thing I knows, she’s screaming and falling down.”

“What happened, D?” asked Frosty, carefully prying Rainbow’s empty stein away from her hooves, and reluctantly passing her a new one. He may have to cut the mare off soon. This was her fifth stein of the night, and her speech was noticeably slurred, and she seemed to be making bedroom eyes at a nearby stool.

“Whaddya think happened, Frosty? I dived after her. Had to shave her. Don’t leave friendsh hangin’.”

“And I’m guessin’ you pulled off the Rainboom?”

“Yeah. How’d ya know?” slurred Rainbow. Frosty pointed at Rainbow’s crown, where the Best Young Flier crown still rested.

“Oh yeah,” said Rainbow, and took another swig of her stein. “shtoopid Twi. Shtoopid Rarity. You know what? I think I’m gonna go to shleep now.” And just like that, Rainbow fell face fowards, landing on a pillow that Frosty had slipped under the mare’s head just in time. This always happened whenever Rainbow got drunk. She’d just suddenly fall asleep, quick as you can be. Frosty took a look around the bar. All the other patrons had long since cleared out. Sighing, he began cleaning up the bar, working around the snoring form of Rainbow Dash. Once that was done, he gave another look at the sleeping mare. Though he often presented a rough-and-tumble image to Ponyville, he did have a soft spot, and couldn’t just leave Rainbow to sleep down here on a bar stool. Sighing, he pulled Rainbow off her stool, and over to one of the booths, where he laid the mare down on the seat. She could sleep her drunkenness off there. And with that, Frosty closed the bar for the night. [TIME]

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #10: “Red Solo Cup”
Two ponies go to a bar; one gets extremely drunk.

Chapters Next