• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 2,028 Views, 187 Comments

The Mailbox Compilation - Skeeter The Lurker



Even apart, the Mane 6 find the time to keep in touch with one another. The letters as seen in the group collab project.

  • ...
16
 187
 2,028

Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle

June 23rd

hotel room Princess of Magic
From the desk of Twilight Sparkle, student of Princess Celestia
Ugh, I need new letterhead.

Dear Rainbow Dash,

Our airship just landed in Stalliongrad and I miss you and the other girls already. Ponyville might not be the most exciting place in Equestria all the time, but there’s at least something to do most days. There is something entirely unfair about growing a pair of wings and then slowly floating across the sky in a stuffy room for two weeks. At least on a train there’s something to see out the window; here there’s nothing but clouds. And after playing ‘spot the altostratus among the altocumulus’ for three hours, my eye starts twitching. Look at me, I’m talking about clouds with Rainbow Dash. Sorry.

I really shouldn’t complain; I get to meet so many interesting ponies on this trip. I’ve never been to Stalliongrad before. My first impression of it is…gray. It’s gray here. The streets are gray, the buildings are gray, even most of the ponies are gray. I’ve been here for two hours and I’m already sick of gray.

I’m rambling at you. Cadence keeps telling me these tours around Equestria aren’t as bad as I fear, but I’ve always found this high society stuff to just be miserably boring. I know you probably think it’s funny that somepony like me would be complaining about boredom; I’ve seen your eyes glaze over three words into me talking about fruit bat morphology. I’d bet your eyes glazed over reading those three words just now.

Enough about me and my whining, how’s Las Pegasus? When I heard about your plans I’ll admit I got rather envious. Teaching ponies is such a noble pursuit compared to all this hoof-shaking I’m supposed to be doing. Spreading knowledge to the next generation of fillies and colts. I’m wistful just writing it.

I bet Las Pegasus is much more colorful than Stalliongrad. I swear, I’m going to start turning all the birds into oranges pretty soon, just to see something bright. They’d probably be gray oranges, just to spite me.

I’m going to stop complaining at you now. It’s not fair for me to transfer my boredom over to you through letters. Hope you’re having a more exciting time than I am.

-Twilight Sparkle



June 24th

Dear Twilight,

You have no idea what I would do to get some clouds out here. It’s the desert, so the lack of cloud coverage makes for brutally hot days and horribly cold nights. I’ve been here for like two days, and already I hate it.

Ugh, so where do I start? Well, first of all, you think grey is the worst thing ever? Try having rows and rows of houses of the ugliest shades of yellow, blue, pink and green imaginable. The suburbs are a total eyesore, and I wish I could avoid them, but unfortunately, both my job and the only affordable store are in that stupid area.

Which brings me to Box-Mart. I had never heard of this place before, but apparently, they’re a big deal out in the wider frontier. I can only assume because these stores are just ridiculously huge, which, ordinarily, would pretty cool, but the thing is, like all the houses in the suburbs, Box-Mart is just a mass-produced set of walls. The place just looks cold and uninviting, and speaking of cold...

I know I said before that the days here are stupidly hot, but I was freezing once I entered Box-Mart. Apparently, they’ve got this thing called an ‘Industrial Air Conditioner’, because I guess ponies around here would rather be frozen to death than be set on fire.
No, but I get what their angle is, because on display as I walk in are a bunch of winter coats on clearance. The ponies who run Box-Mart are evil geniuses, especially since I got one just to get my shopping done.

So yeah, I got some pretty good furniture, but that was the highlight of my day. I’m sure you’re doing amazing stuff every day. Don’t take what you have now for granted. I’d give anything to be doing what you’re doing: travelling around the world, meeting famous pony after famous pony, and always being on the move. I dunno about you, Twi, but really sounds like living.

I gotta tell you, Twi, I think I made a mistake coming here. The parents aren’t going to let me do anything with these kids, and honestly, I’m starting to think I’m not cut out for this whole teaching thing. Like, I don’t have a lesson plan or anything, because I was expecting to start things physical right away. I wish you were here, and you could do all the egghead stuff with the kids while I do the fun parts: the parts that I guess you need a permission stuff for these days.

...I’m actually kinda scared about tomorrow. Promise you won’t tell anypony, okay? I trust you to keep it our secret.
It’s getting pretty late, and I gotta get up early, so I guess I’ll wrap this up. Promise me you’ll enjoy your touring. At least one of us will have fun.

Or, better yet, how’s about you and the princesses come over the Las Pegasus and we can have some real fun! The suburbs may suck, but the Strip still has all the gold, glitz and glamor they talk about in the movies. Please swing by when you get the chance.

Hoping for some good times,

Rainbow Dash



June 25th
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
Dear Rainbow Dash,
I’m not really cut out for this ‘travelling around the world, meeting famous pony after famous pony, and always being on the move,’ stuff. It seems to me that famous ponies should be famous for…doing impressive things, I guess. And if we were going off of that, it would be a thrill a minute to be back in Ponyville, if for no other reason than watching the Rainbow Dash fly circles around everypony else.
You puffed out your chest just now, didn’t you? Oh, I could just see you doing it. You’re fun to tease halfway across the country!
But yeah, this travel hasn’t been exactly what I’d call fun. It’s had its moments; yesterday we toured an industrial complex of smelting facilities. After spending a day surrounded by literal tons of burning coal, being frozen in a Box-Mart sounds lovely, but it was quite fascinating learning about metal production on such a large scale. Well, it’s fascinating to this Egghead anyway.
Today was another day of formal meals, but thankfully I managed to convince everypony to take Fluttershy’s advice and go to the Stalliongrad Zoo. Fluttershy would probably have had a better time than I did, but at least I didn’t have to sit around eating cake for another three hours.
If I didn’t know better, I’d say this whole trip was a ploy to make me gain an extra ten pounds of cake weight.
I’d much rather be doing what you’re doing, though. So let’s try to both have fun for the other’s sake, how does that sound?
Speaking of what you’re doing…I know this is probably not going to get to you until after your first day on the job, but don’t count yourself out on it. You need to give yourself more credit than that. I know you’re a mare of action and planning isn’t something you tend to do on purpose, but you’re always so much smarter than you want to give yourself credit for. Just because you’re not an ‘Egghead’ like me, doesn’t mean you don’t have a great set of brains in that skull of yours. Try to find a way to make it fun, for you and for those foals. Just remember how much you managed to inspire Fluttershy when you needed her help to get the water reserves up to Cloudsdale. You’re a natural leader, Rainbow Dash, and I’m sure all of those colts and fillies will be looking up to you in no time.
I tried to peek at the trip itinerary, but Luna has been rather…secretive about it. I know Las Pegasus is a stop we’ll be making, since we’re going to tour the Hooveser Dam. I believe we’re stopping in Baltimare, too, so I’m sure to at least see you and Rarity while on this trip. I miss you all so much already.
Since I’m keeping your secret, maybe you can keep mine. Ever since I moved to Ponyville and got you girls in my life, I’ve been happier than I’ve ever been before. If I had to choose between our friendships and anything else in the world, being a princess, my studies, even my ability to do magic, I’d choose you five in a heartbeat. Take my wings, take my eyes, take my horn. You girls are the most important thing to me. Maybe that’s sentimental of me, but if being away from you all hurts this much now, I’m absolutely dreading how it’s going to feel in another month.
I’m getting mushy, and now I can picture you rolling your eyes. I hope Las Pegasus comes up on the itinerary sooner instead of later; I can’t wait to see you roll your eyes at me face to face again. Also, I’ve never been gambling and so much of it ismath. Fun with math!
Believe in yourself, Rainbow. I believe in you. You’re going to do great things!
-Twilight Sparkle



June 25th and/or 26th (It’s midnight in like 5 minutes, so I’m just gonna say both)
Dear Twilight,
So I got home late in the afternoon and found your letter. Things had already gotten better, but your message just made it totally awesome around here!
...I’m not really good at that whole mushy deal, so sorry if this letter isn’t so good.
Let me just say that everything you wrote to me in your letter was exactly what I needed to hear. I know a lot of times I come off as this cocky idiot who doesn’t care what other ponies think, but sometimes, it’s hard to keep up with my own image. Fluttershy and I used to get bullied a lot back in Cloudsdale, so I sort of of took on this role of being too cool to care as a kind of shield, and overtime, it just stuck. It became me.
Some days, though, I just need a reminder from somepony else that I am what I am for a reason; that I’ve got a reason to be proud of myself and what I do.
By the way, thanks for telling me that I had brains. Not too many ponies would say that to me (shocker, right?) and mean it, but I know you’d never lie to me like that, Twi. You’re too much of square. Ha.
But yeah, I’m a lot more confident after the second day. I showed the kids some of my moves and they’re already super stoked. I don’t know what I’m gonna be able to teach them in such a narrow time frame, but I’ll think of something. I’m Rainbow Dash, darnit! I’m a mare of action and ideas! If you say it, then it must be true.
Thank you, Twi. I don’t honestly know what any of us would do without you. You know exactly what to say to get somepony’s groove back.
So anyway, I’m also totally stoked to know that you’re swinging by here at some point. I can’t wait! I was actually talking to my boss Booster (trainer, boxer, totally toned) about all the math that goes into gambling because you mentioned it in your letter. He was talking about card counting and how it’s in books and stuff. Looks like you’ve got a little homework, huh, Egghead? *wink*
Oh, and I forgot to mention in my last letter, but on the Strip, Trixie’s running a live show there. The poster showed her with lions and tigers and bears (the kind that are on unicycles, mind you). Legit, right? We’re totally checking that out!
Anyway, that’s all the stuff from my end. Let me know if things for you get any better. Also, thanks again for cheering me up. It meant a whole lot.
Stay awesome,
Rainbow Dash
P.S.- This is a copy of the checklist I want you to keep track of in your letters to Applejack. This is all the stuff that she needs to do while she’s at the beach. I figured since you love checklists, keeping tabs on this should be a sinch.
AJ’s Perfect Summer Checklist
1. Wrestle the gators to prove your dominance [long story short, this is my greatest idea ever]
2. Learn to surf [obviously. She is at the beach, after all]
3. Go out into the ocean and scream ‘Shark!’ (it’ll be hysterical, trust me) [back me up on this, Twi]
4. Find a beautiful mare drowning in the ocean. Swim out, save her, get lucky (I mean, you are at the beach. It’s basically the law that you have to find a summer lovin’) [that filly needs to get laid. Amirite? Hot as she is, it's gotta be a crime that she's not getting any.]
P.P.S.- You’re right. I actually did puff out my chest when you wrote about how much you wanted to see me fly. You’ve come to know me so well, Twi.



June 26th
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic, attempting a new sending spell to mimic dragonfire.
Dear Rainbow Dash,
I’m glad things are going well for you after the first day. I always love to know I’ve helped bring a smile to a friend’s face, and I meant everything I said in the last letter. I guess I knew a little bit about that stuff when you and Fluttershy were fillies, but if you ever want to talk about it more, just know that I’m here to listen; I’m all ears. Well, since these are letters, I’m all eyes, I guess? That sounds weird. Whatever, you know what I mean.
I hope when we get to Las Pegasus we can go see Trixie’s show! After that amulet incident, it’s nice to know she found something constructive to do with her talents. She’s certainly flashy enough to put on a show in Las Pegasus. You don’t think it’s a…saucy show do you? Oh, what am I saying? This is your fault, Rainbow. You asked me my opinion on Applejack’s physical needs and her rather shapely aesthetics and now my brain is going to weird places and my face feels warm and ohhh, darn you Rainbow! I’m flustered again!
Okay, I took a few deep breaths. I think I’m better now.
Anyway about that checklist. I’ll…mention it to Applejack. I’m sure she has her own ideas about what she’s doing this summer, but I’ll agree if nothing else, that pony needs to relax. I’m sure if she was given half the chance, she’d take a break from bucking trees to go buck some different trees.
Also, in case you didn’t know, it’s very hard to sit through a dry lecture on export schedules and not start giggling when the phrase ‘that filly needs to get laid’ in your voice is running through my head. So thanks for that.
-Twilight Sparkle
PS My spell didn’t work right and I’m resending this almost a week late. I was wondering why I hadn’t heard from anypony in a while. I’m out of Stalliongrad now and we’re on our way to Manehattan. Hope to hear from you soon, Rainbow. I’m still all eyes (Augh, I hate that phrase!) if you need me to be.
-Twilight Sparkle (July 1st)



July 2nd
Dear Twi,
‘I’m all eyes’ is actually pretty cool if you ask me. Give yourself a few Dash Points for that (oh yeah, there’re Dash Points).
Also, are you kidding? There’s nothing but saucy in Las Pegasus! All the mares are dressed in outfits that draw your attention to all the best places. Hehe.
Come on, I know you, you’d love it.
Okay, running down a list here... I did not say anything about AJ being shapely. That’s all you, meaning that you’ve been checking her out!
...Eh, we’re all guilty of that (ask Rarity sometime, she’ll probably get flustered like you do. It’s a telltale sign with mares).
I don’t really have a lot to say. I can tell you that work’s going pretty good nowadays. I’m on a semi-decent regimen with the kids, and I’m getting along great with my boss (he’s gonna start teaching me boxing on Friday, how cool is that?)
I guess all I have left to say is thanks for believing in me. I really don’t know what I’d do without you, Twi. I mean, I don’t know what I’d do without any of the girls, but you really lifted me out of a bad funk when I needed it. Thanks a lot.
And hey, if you ever need to complain about whatever boring stuff you’ve got going, you know the mare who’s gonna be ‘all eyes’ (I really, really like that phrase).
Keep up the awesome,
Rainbow Dash
P.S.- Aww yeah, not only do I make you fluster, I also make you laugh! I’m just gonna go ahead and give myself ten Dash Points.



July 3rd
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
Dear Rainbow Dash,
Of course you’d like the phrase all eyes. Fine, all eyes it is. Well, the last week or so in Stalliongrad wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Pinkie Pie gave me some advice on making parties more entertaining, and I tried her suggestions out with some subtlety and it made for more interesting dinner conversation. I don’t mind being the center of attention and I can put up with dry lectures and formal events, but I’m rather uncomfortable having the conversation be entirely around me. I’m going to take this princess-hood seriously and try to do good things for everypony, but being told at length about how I’m going to help just by existing isn’t fulfilling; it’s embarrassing.
And speaking of embarrassing, you’re doing this on purpose, making me turn red over and over again when I look back over your letter. Here I had a few days to get my bearings and the first thing you do is bring it up again and poke me with it. Shining’s looking at me funny, Rainbow!
If you must pry, I suppose it isn’t a secret that I find Applejack…that is to say she’s quite physically…I mean, from an academic, aesthetic stand-point…Well, no, that’s too clinical…Ugh, she’s attractive, okay? Is that what you want to hear? She’s a physically attractive mare in her prime and any filly would have to be blind or so solidly a zero on the Kinsey Scale it would reset the bell-curve!
…You’re laughing at me right now, aren’t you? It’s okay. Shining and Cadence are laughing, too. I wish I could embarrass you, by calling out who you found attractive, or by talking about how attractive you are, but you don’t get all flustered by this sort of stuff.
…Drat, I just called you attractive. You’re never going to let me live this down now. I should scrap this whole letter and start over, but I don’t think I could write…that…about Applejack again tonight. Or ever.
And I just now got a letter from Applejack. This day keeps on getting better and better; I think I accidentally mentioned this very conversation with her. I’m afraid to read it and find out…
Great. She picked up on it. If you’ll excuse me now, Rainbow, I’m going to try and find a rock to crawl under on this airship. That’s something they provide in first class, right? Embarrassment caves?
This is probably a good thing, you ruining my composure like this. I need to get over this silliness. We’re all adults; I can’t be blushing like a school filly whenever anyone brings up...this topic. If nothing else, getting used to it will mean my BBBFF will stop laughing at me.
Anyway, boxing huh? That should go well with your karate. With Applejack surfing and you boxing, kinda makes me want to try my hoof at something. With all this cake they’re stuffing down my face, I probably should. Any recommendations? Keep in mind, it would need to be something I could do while living like a nomad for the next few months.
I’ll be looking forward to your next letter, even if you tease me endlessly in it. Now…to write back to Applejack. Maybe I’ll lock myself in the bathroom and scream for a while first.
-Twilight Sparkle



Rainbow—
Could I perhaps trouble you to write a song? Only if it’s not too much to ask. It’s for science!
-Twilight Sparkle



July 4th
Dear Twilight,
Sorry if this gets to you a little late, I guess it takes longer to deliver packages.
Oh, Twi, you’ve got me read like a book (man, your eggheadedness is rubbing off on me). Do I make you randy, baby? Don’t fret now, there’s no shame in loving the Rainbow Dash. I don’t bite... hard.
Okay, but yeah, I like to keep you on the edge. It makes me laugh. AJ actually just wrote me a letter about it being all parental and stuff. You can be sure I was rolling my eyes pretty hard.
...But seriously, Twi, I’m just messing around. I wouldn’t actually want to make you uncomfortable. If you are, I’ll stop. I care about you too much to put you in a bad spot. You just tell me, and I’ll listen as best I can listen.
Now, as for some sports you can try out, I’d say it’s time you put those wings to work. After a few weeks of wingups and sprint flights, your body will be more rockin’ than AJ’s firm, sexy form (okay, you got me, I was forcing it that time. Old habits die hard, you see).
But yeah, do something with flight. If nothing else, just fly around more, you’ll feel better as a result. It really calms your nerves and changes your perspective when you’re high in the air above everything else in the world.
...Huh, where’d that come from?
***
So about that song, I’m not really the song-y type of pony (that was my Dad’s specialty), but here’s what I came up with...
These hoes love da Dash
‘Cause I be throwin’ fat stacks
I steppin’ on da gas
As I smokin’ on da grass
You da filly I can’t pass
So lemme tap dat ass
Yeah, I know. Awesome, right?
But really, it’s kind of interesting that you bring this up now. See, the other day I was browsing through one of the pawn shops in town (they have like a billion pawn shops around here), and I came across something I never thought I’d ever see.
So, my dad loved music. He would just spend all day jamming on his guitar and coming up with these songs. I guess I was a pretty good singer, because he then started having me sing along to a lot of them.
Eventually, we started recording these songs. Now, keep in mind, I had realized my true talent for flying, so I wasn’t really interested in sitting around a recording studio all day to do something wussy like singing, but my dad basically made me.
I never listened to the songs, and they didn’t sell at all. I never thought I’d run into them again, but here was one of them on a six inch record.
Since you were asking about music, I figured you’d get a kick out of it. This one isn’t as lame as I thought it would be.
Hopefully, you have a record player.
Man, I sound weird when I sing. But yeah, I know for a fact that we recorded at least an album’s worth of songs, so if I find it, I’ll let you know.
So... that should count as two songs from me, right? I win science, yes? Lemme know what my prize is.
Your homegirl,
Rainbow Dash



July 8th
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
Dear Rainbow Dash,
It’s okay, Rainbow. I know you’re just teasing. You like teasing everypony, and it’s hardly a new thing about you. I’ll just know to read your letters privately now, so I can be amused and embarrassed in peace and quiet. And really, if we’re pointing blame, I teased you first in these letters. I threw the first stone; I can take your excellently aimed return volleys like a mare.
Maybe I’m just feeling magnanimous because of this wonderful song. The record, I mean. Not that your other song wasn’t…charming or anything, but hearing your voice again made my day. It’s funny. I think I went five or six years without seeing my BBBFF at all. Sure I missed him and it’s been great to see him on this trip, and the few times since his wedding and now, but I’ve never missed him like this.
It’s been less than a month and I’m getting wistful over something you recorded as a filly, since it meant I could hear your voice. I’ve been snuggling these silly sock puppets Pinkie sent me, because they look like Smarty Pants and they’re from her. Rarity sent me this bag for make-up and I don’t want to put it down, because Rarity picked it out for me. I’ve just been listening to your song and reading this one from Appl two of the others over and over again and wishing I was home.
This friendship the six of us have found…it’s really something special.
I’m getting mushy at you. I don’t know if that makes you as uncomfortable as you always say it does, or if that’s just your ‘shield’ talking, but if it does consider in payback for the ‘randy’ comment.
Flying sounds wonderful. When I first got these wings, I wasn’t sure how much I’d really use them, since I teleport so often, but it’s such a different feeling to fly myself around under my own power. It’s so freeing. I think you’ve got it exactly right with that change of perspective notion. It’s too bad I’m stuffed up in an airship for most of the commute from place to place. I’ll try to sneak away for flights when I can, though. I think they’ll make me feel better emotionally, at least.
Applejack suggested I ask Shining to give me fighting lessons. He’s a little reluctant to teach his ‘Twily’ anything dangerous, but Cadence is on my side, so I should hopefully be getting trained by the captain of the guard soon. Who knows, maybe by the end of the summer I’ll be able to go hoof-to-hoof with you in a boxing ring!
I’m landing in Manehattan in the morning. Otherwise I’ve been going a little stir-crazy on this airship, listening to your record over and over again while playing with sock puppets.
I think I might be going crazy. Las Pegasus or Baltimare better show up on our itinerary, soon. Or maybe I really will run into Pinkie Pie in Manehattan. Although, if that happens it means I was both right and wrong about the likelihood of that and I probably will go crazy for a completely different reason.
Also, there’s no such thing as winning science. Thank you for both songs, though. Having a recorded version of music as a comparison tool will be useful when I run my experiments.
Take care, Rainbow. Hope to see you soon.
-Twilight Sparkle



July 10th
Dear Twi,
I would think you’d be the type to edit your letters. By that I mean, do you really think I wouldn’t notice that you crossed out AJ’s name?
Just so you know, I never laughed harder. I guess we’ll just refer to her as ‘Piece of Flank Who Shall Not Be Named’.
Kidding aside, you’re not the only pony I’ve been driving crazy with my sexy awesomeness. There’s this colt I teach (Beesting, great kid) who’s got it bad for me. Foalhood crushes, you know?
So yesterday, when all the foals leave for the day to go play and stuff, Beesting hangs back and waits around for me. I indulge him and give him some compliments on his progress (he’s doing great, they all are, which is a relief) and he just blushing so hard. I’m not kidding, I blinked for a second and I swear to Celestia, I thought I had found Big Macintosh’s bastard son.
Like I said. Foalhood crushes, they’re adorable like that.
Anyway, why do they have you in an airship anyway? I realize you guys are all royalty and such, but you guys are like the most powerful ponies in all of Equestria. Who could honestly take you on? I mean yeah, Celestia was owned pretty badling by queen Changeling thingy, but there’s four of you now.
I guess you guys would have trouble hauling around your brother and stuff, but personally, I think the image of him riding on Cadence’s back everywhere is pretty hilarious.
About boxing, you are so on! I had my first lesson with my boss on Friday, and it was intense. I got by because I was awesome, but it was pretty brutal. I think a fight between you and me would be a lot more entertaining (That is, if you’re into foxy boxing. We could also try wresting in pudding, although I don’t think Pinkie would like that. She’s said that’s degrading to the ponies who make pudding.)
I’ll make sure to keep looking for recordings of me and my dad since you liked them so much. He always said that they sold so poorly, that they were buried in a landfill, but somepony must have bought some copies, and those copies are out there.
You could probably check a music archive or something for records. I think Dad called us ‘Hey Ocean’ or something. He was a weird guy, but I miss him all the same.
Lemme know what you find, I actually found myself really liking what my Dad wrote. It wasn’t as lame as I remembered. Also, PLEASE let me know when you’re swinging by here, it’s gonna be SO awesome.
Stay cool,
Rainbow
P.S.- No winning at science? Please, there’s something to be won in everything.
Winning!



July 11th
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
Dear Rainbow Dash,
I was getting ready to write back to you about your last letter, when something came up.
I have enclosed a letter Applejack sent to me by mistake that was supposed to go to you. As it’s your letter, you should have it. I am sorry that I read something that was supposed to be private, but Applejack sent it to me by mistake and I didn’t notice that it didn’t have my name on the actual letter until I was halfway through and terribly confused.
…I’ve been sort of talking to myself about this when I was writing back to Applejack, so some of my initial confusion has worn off and I’m going to start off somewhat direct, because there are some mysteries here I’d like to clear up.
One. I would assume, based on all the letters that we’ve exchanged, that the reason you wouldn’t tell me that you were dating somepony when you are under the impression assumed thought
if I were to have romantic interest in you, and you were dating somepony else, you would want to spare me any heartache from that knowledge.
That is the assumption I can make from our correspondence. From Applejack’s letter, the impression that I get is that she thinks…or knows…that you…well, you like me like that, at least a little, and
One. Why do you think I have feelings for you? I’ve never thought about this, for anypony before, and it’s not that I am opposed to the idea, but what did I say that made it
One. What’s been going on between you and Applejack that she reacted like this? You’re normally so close. You’ve said she’s been ‘mothering’ you, is this just more of that or is there something
One. Did Applejack send the letter that was supposed to go to me to you by mistake?
I’m not angry or upset with you, by the way. It’s okay that you’re dating somepony. I’m happy for you, in fact. You’re such a strong and fun mare, you deserve somepony else in your life. I was maybe a little hurt at first that you thought I wouldn’t be happy for you, but I get that you were just trying to protect me. You try to protect everypony. I can’t be upset with you about that.
I want you to be happy, Rainbow Dash. Sometimes when we talk, I get the feeling that you’re not happy. That underneath your teasing, your confidence, and your strength, that there’s really somepony very sad and hurt. If there’s anything that Iwant, it’s for that to not be true. I love seeing you smile, bright and genuine, and I want to see that smile every time I look at you. You’re a great mare and you deserve that happiness. That’s what I want.
I…
Write back soon, Rainbow.
-Twilight Sparkle



July 11th
Dear Twilight,
Okay, there’s something I need to make straight right away. I’m not dating Booster. He and I are hanging out like friends do. Seriously, we spent Friday night breaking bottles in supermarket parking lot, does that strike you as romantic?
Look, just... don’t believe what Applejack wrote in that letter. She’s... I dunno.
But yeah, I didn’t exactly play my cards carefully. I didn’t want the girls to know I was hanging out like that because they tend to overreact in their own ways (Rarity would never shut up about me hanging out with a stallion).
With you... okay, Twi, I’m gonna be straight up, I thought you had kind of a crush on me.
It’s just, the way you were getting flustered and blushy in your letters, I just kinda figured it was like a silly little crush. I thought it was adorable.
Plus, you might wanna be sitting down for this one... I have kind of a huge ego.
I know, it’s shocking. I guess I was just having delusions of grand jury (or something like that), and I just kinda figured I could get anypony to fall head over hooves for me.
You’re too smart for that kind of stuff, Twi.
But still, I just wanna thank you, Twi. I’m kind of uncertain about a lot of things right now, but I know that I can count on you to be there for me when I need it. You mean so much to me, Twi. I know we talk about how we miss all the girls, and I do too (don’t get me wrong), but for you, I especially mean it.
You’re my best friend, Twi. You always will be.
Sorry to keep this letter kinda short, but I have places to be.
Write back soon (please),
Rainbow Dash



July 12th
Twi...
I'm really drunk right now, but I know you gotta see this shit. This is what AJ sent to me meant for you

Dear Twilight,
I ain’t a bit drunk. Not a little. I had about... a lot of drinks tonight, but I still feel fiiine. I set aside some time to write you and Dash tonight, and even if I went out with the farmhooves and had a real good time, I still got time to get some letters to my friends.
So, I read your song again just now, and I started crying. Twilight, I miss you so much. I think I miss you more than the other girls. I just wanna take care of you, sugarcube, and I want you to make things make sense for me, and I wanna hug you. Boy, do I wanna hug you a lot. And I wanna nuzzle you, too. Your mane feels nice when I nuzzle you, all smooth and it smells all clean like nice soap. And your whole body’s all soft and curvy, specially those hips...
I like you, Twilight. See, I wrote it and I ain’t even drunk. And now you can read it and know that I ain’t drunk and I really like you, not like some other ponies who don’t like you as much as they let on ‘cause they just can’t see you’re a smart, amazing pony who deserves everything a pony can give and they can’t even think of really giving that to a pony. So that’s what’s wrong with that.
But that ain’t what I’m talking about. I’m talking about you, Twilight. You’re so smart and foolish, and I reckon I love that cause I’m kinda smart and foolish too. Like here I am probably drunk off my tail, writing a letter to a princess and telling her all I think of her, like that’s something she don’t know. But I read your letter and I can’t help it. I’m smart enough to know the best pony in the world when I see her, but dumb enough to send this.
Please write back, Twilight. You can tell me you don’t feel the same. Of course, I’d kinda rather you did feel the same. But I reckon I’m smart enough to know this is a long shot, and if that’s how I’m thinking in this state, there’s no way I could say all this sober.
Your fr
Love,
AJ

I said a lot of shit I shouldn't have said. I was gonna hide this from you, but no. I've fucked up enough shit already in my life...
fuck, i gotta sleep...



July 13th
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
Dear Rainbow Dash,
I can’t help but feel like this is all my fault.
I have done several things today that I thought I’d never be able to do in my life, without either dying of embarrassment or being banished or locked away, or locked away in the place I was banished, possibly while attending magic kindergarten on the moon.
First thing was I showed all our letters to Cadence. She’s had a bit of an outside view of things, mostly because I have a habit of dictating my letters out loud as I write them and I’m not always mindful of other ponies in the room.
I…I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t even know you were flirting with me, and I was flirting back. I thought you were teasing me and I was teasing back. I still don’t understand the distinction as I look at it.
I feel like a fool, and I feel like I’ve been leading you on. And the worst part of it is…
The worst part is I don’t know what I’m feeling. Before I got Applejack’s letter that was intended for you, I hadn’t thought about romance in my life at all. But if you couldn’t guess it about me already, as soon as I realized I hadn’t thought about something…
…Care to guess what I’ve been thinking about every minute since?
Celestia damn the world to tartarus, I have no idea what I’m feeling, Rainbow Dash. I just know that when I read your letters, or listen to your record, or think about your face, I just want to see you again. For real. I want to see everypony again, but it’s not quite the same.
Okay, so Manehattan has been similar and different compared to Stalliongrad, but I’ve had this weight on my mind through all the silly formality (we went on a yacht tour through a harbor where all the houses of some rich and famous ponies live, pointing out interesting architecture [yay!] and discussing which such-and-such sugar baron built the original mansion that burned to the ground a hundred years ago that the new one is modeled after, and which ones were owned by their foals, and I couldn’t hope to begin caring). And then…right before I got your second letter that had the note from Applejack, I took your advice and went flying.
And suddenly everything made sense. I don’t know what specifically made sense, but for the first time in weeks I felt at home again. And then I went back to my hotel room, played your record, and started crying.
And then I got Applejack’s letter. And I’ve been thinking about what she said to me the other day, too, about how what she asked was something she should have asked face to face. And then I read the song she wrote me and started crying again.
Because I want to see Applejack so bad right now, too. I want to see all six of you so badly I could scream, but for Applejack it’s different. Like how it’s different for you. But not the same different. Different different. And I don’t know what that means.
I’m still so confused, Rainbow. At first it was about what was going on around me, now it’s about myself. I don’t know what I want, and what’s worse, the two ponies I’d turn to for help in this are…well, they’re you and Applejack.
I know you’d probably think I’d talk to Rarity about this, but she’d be running around making me a dress for a date that hasn’t even been planned with…with I don’t know who, and why this would even result in a date with anypony is a ridiculous notion at this point, since I don’t know that that’s something I really want, or you want, or Applejack wants, or that any of us don’t want, and I’m just so confused, and Rarity wouldn’t help with that at all. She’d think it was ‘romantic,’ whatever the hell that means.
No, it’s you and Applejack I’d talk to, because we think the same about these sorts of things, I think. Even when we’re angry or overwhelmed, we’re practical and we think in down to earth and reasonable ways. Any advice you would give me, while full of teasing (or flirting, I don’t know), would be something simple and rational. And it would be the same with Applejack. I like simple and rational.
But I can’t ask for either of your advice on this, really. And we’re all so far away from each other.
Which leads me to the other thing I never thought I’d do that I did today.
I…sorta threatened Princess Luna.
She was taken aback by it, and I think I hurt her feelings and I’ll need to make amends, but I couldn’t be in the dark on this anymore. One of the things Applejack mentioned in her letter was that thanks to this summer, ‘we can’t sit down and talk it out.’
I threatened her so I could see the itinerary. I told her I needed to see it and if she didn’t share then I would take it from her by force. I feel scummy and awful for doing it, but I’m at the end of my rope here. I need to see you and Applejack again, as soon as I can, or I’m going to go crazy. There’s too much that needs to be said face to face.
Because…because Cadence says she doesn’t believe you when you say you just thought it was adorable. And she says she doesn’t believe me when I say I didn’t know it was just teasing. And she says she doesn’t believe me about not ever thinking about any of this before.
And…and I think about your face and your smile…and when I got Applejack’s drunken letter and read it, I imagined Applejack’s hooves around me in that hug she wanted to give me.
I think Cadence is right.
I’ve made a mess of things, most of all myself. I’m sorry, Rainbow. I’m sorry I couldn’t see what’s supposed to be right in front of me, and I’m sorry that all of this had to happen while we’re miles away from each other. I don’t know what I want, and I doubt either you or Applejack really know, either, based on everything Cadence has said to me about this, not only about me and you, and me and her, but you and her as well. All I know is that we need to talk about this face to face to face. Because letters aren’t cutting it.
I didn’t get to see the itinerary. Princess Celestia took one look at me and said I could take a few days off from the trip to sort out this mess with myself.
I’ll be in Las Pegasus on July 18th.
If I can organize it, Applejack might be with me.
See you soon.
-Twilight Sparkle



July 15th
Dear Twi,
C’mon, you know this isn’t your fault. Sometimes ponies miscommunicate. It happens.
The fact is, none of us have any idea what we’re feeling. Not you. Not AJ. Not me.
It’s the distance, Twi. It’s killing us. When you and AJ come over later this week, things’ll become a lot clearer.
...You’re probably wondering why I’m so chill about all this? Well, it’s because everything for me right now is completely and utterly awesome.
I should probably backtrack. So all this drama starts blowing up between the three of us, and I have no idea what to do with myself. Worse yet, I get this stupid letter from the Wonderbolts on Saturday.
Oh yeah, I got into the Wonderbolts, but I was so ‘I don’t know’ about everything, that it just seemed to be adding insult to injury. Worse yet, the day I was supposed to report to them is the same day you guys are coming over. I went to sleep not knowing what to do.
Then I had this dream... actually, it was a nightmare, and it scared the shit outta me, but at the same time, it gave me one of those... whaddya call them, sudden realizations... come on, egghead, work with me!
Eh, it doesn’t matter. The point is, I knew what I needed to do.
I set my letter on fire. Bye-bye Wonderbolts.
So, the reason I didn’t write to you right after is because all through Sunday, I was kind of in this sort-of numb-ish state where I wasn’t sure how I felt about my decision and what I was gonna do from that point on. Plus, I was still pretty nervous about you guys coming over.
But then, I went to work today, and everything got a lot better. I’ve been feeling real good about what I’m doing. I got one of my students to fly, Twi! I actually taught somepony how to do something! Something useful!
I just realized then that all this chasing after some lofty dream of fame was clouding my vision. I don’t want to feel awesome from records and fame and all this stuff, I wanna feel awesome from bonding with ponies I care about, from passing important things down to younger ponies.
The Wonderbolts would have just dragged me away from what’s important, you girls and everyone in Ponyville. I know now where I belong.
Is there any chance we could talk to Princess Celestia about starting a flight-school in Ponyville. It’s not just Scootaloo that needs help flying, you know. Like, my friend Thunderlane’s got a brother who’s about Scoots’s age.
Eh, we’ll talk about it later. I still have a couple of months left here, so I should probably focus on that, and hey, we could get to talking about it when you guys get here.
You guys are gonna have a blast! There’s so much stuff to do around here (like saucy magic shows, hehe). I’ll also make sure to take us out someplace nice, but not too nice, because I’m sure you’re sick of all that hoity-toity crap (no offense).
The point being, it’s gonna be awesome. Catch you on the flippety-flip.
Your friend,
Rainbow Dash
P.S.- Are there any words that mean the same thing as flustered? I ask because... no reason.



July 16th
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
Dear Rainbow Dash,
I…
Well, at first I thought you had gone crazy. I…you burned an acceptance to the Wonderbolts? I’m still surprised. Really surprised. I was getting ready to tell you about rescheduling things; Applejack and I being in Las Pegasus shouldn’t be the reason for you to not join. I was so ready to argue with you about it.
But…
But I read the rest of your letter. Rainbow…
I don’t know how to say it, other than I think your idea is wonderful. It seems so…right for you. I don’t know what else to say. I’ve been yammering on about how noble teaching foals is, and here you make a plan to really do it, not just for the summer but as your life, your future.
I feel really silly for saying it, but I’m proud of you. Really proud of you. Sure, I’d be proud of you if you went into the Wonderbolts; that’s a prestigious career that isn’t easy and inspires younger ponies. Both would be fitting for you. But, this Ponyville flight school idea?
I really does just feel right. I can’t put my hoof on it exactly. I think you’ll be great at it. You have my support, Rainbow. One hundred percent.
I can’t wait to see you, Rainbow. We’ll talk about it more then. I’d talk to Princess Celestia about it right now, but I think I’d better keep things sort of calm and quiet until after this trip; everypony here is worried about me after what happened with Princess Luna. I just…
I get caught up in things sometimes and it messes up my judgment. I’m okay right now. I’m more okay than I’ve been in days after reading your letter. I’ll be okay after we have a chance to talk as a group, I hope. I really can’t wait. I miss you so much. I miss everypony, but…
Well, this is the mess, isn’t it? You’re exactly right, I think. Nopony knows what’s going on in their own heads and the distance has made it more than painful.
Applejack will be coming with me for sure, so we’ll both see you in a couple days. I can’t wait.
I’m so proud of you. Whatever Princess Celestia says, I’ll do everything in my power to get you a flight school in Ponyville. I promise. I Pinkie Promise. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. If this is what you want, I will do everything I can to help.
-Twilight Sparkle



July 28th
Dear Twi,
Whoa! I just realized that it’s been a week since I’ve talked to you guys. Geez, I’m really sorry about that. Work’s been something else, in a good way, but yeah, I’ve been pretty busy.
But get this! They’re all flying! Twenty-five foals are now flying thanks to me!
Like... I had no idea I could do it! Well, really, they did it themselves, but you know what I mean!
So, Thursday, I decide to show the parents what's up, and they love it! I think they’re gonna be comfortable enough to let me teach them my real moves. Let’s just say, Monday’s fixing to be a good day. I’m really amped about doing this stuff full time when I get back home (you’ve talked to Celestia right? BTW, how are things with you and Luna?)
So yeah, I’ve mostly been celebrating and hanging out with Booster this week. I’m starting to come along nicely in my boxing. I was actually able to land a few decent punches on him on Friday.
But for the most part, I’m settling into a routine. It’s weird, I’ve never been the type to actually enjoy something like that, but now that I’m grounded... it’s kinda nice, actually. That’s to say I don’t want a stupid, boring life like a lot of these suburbanites got, but... just kind of a slower pace is sort of refreshing. I’m not stressing myself out anymore with having the best moves to impress the Wonderbolts. I’m doing the stuff I used to do for me.
I feel kinda free.
So anyway, what’s going on with you? More importantly, when are you getting back to Las Pegasus? I can’t just hang out with Booster forever, Twi, come on, I might die of boredom!
Oh yeah, and I’m horny (but I don’t need to tell you that much *wink*). No, but really, what I wouldn’t give to have you hear right now just to hear you scream and squeak and—by the way, you should probably be reading this part in a room by yourself... I should have given you fair warning, shouldn’t I?
So yeah, things are getting pretty routine around here, but now I’m starting to realize I don’t have much time left here. Which suits me fine, considering I know where to go from here. My place is with you, AJ, and the girls. I wouldn’t have that any other way.
Write back soon (Come back soon),
Rainbow Dash.



August 3rd
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
Dear Rainbow,
I have been extremely busy since getting back on my tour, too. It’s been a crazy time for me, but it’s been the best time of the trip so far. That might just be because when somepony starts going on about local infrastructures, I can smile and nod while thinking about that thing you did with your tongue while bent over backwards.
Okay, not really, but I’ve been in a much better mood since our visit. Oh, and I learned several letters ago to read yours in private, anyway. One of the things I’ve been doing in the scraps of free time I have had is rereading everypony’s letters. I can’t believe how out of sorts I got over yours at the start (that’s another phrase for flustered, since you asked but I was too wound up to answer you. Wound up is another. Agitated, bewildered, befuddled, confounded, discombobulated, embarrassed, fazed, and thrown [possibly for a loop] would all work, too). I still get a little bit of a blush reading over them (or writing about your acrobatic tongue), but it’s such a fun feeling now.
I can’t wait to get back to Las Pegasus, too. I miss your tongue. And the rest of you, too, I suppose.
Gosh, it’s fun flirting on purpose.
Anyway, Princess Luna was very understanding when I got back. She did give me a look that sort of silently said she might have had a small peek into a dream or two, but I might have imagined that. She wasn’t upset by any account, and she mentioned something about a moose she once knew as why she understood. I’m going to have to get to the bottom of what that means some day.
Also, I did talk to Princess Celestia about establishing a flight school for pegasus foals in Ponyville. She’s been a bit aloof about it…not that that’s much of a surprise; sometimes talking to her is like reading a book of riddles. I get the sense that she’s dodging me about it right now, but I’m not going to drop it. It’s wonderful to know you got all of your students in the air. I can only imagine how proud of all of them you felt, but I can picture that smile on your face. You have a couple of different smiles, did you know that, Rainbow?
See, a lot of the time you have this cocky smirk thing you do (it dimples only one of your cheeks), but there’s this other one you have sometimes. It’s like you’re smiling without thinking about the fact that you’re smiling. It’s smaller on your face, but it’s so warm and bright. I bet that’s the smile you had when all those foals got up in the air around you.
Okay, I really can’t wait to be back in Las Pegasus and see you again, tongue entirely removed from the equation. I want to see that smile, instead of just imagining it.
I still don’t know when that will be, but we’ve been making a rough circle around Equestria so far, so I’d have to guess we’ll be back in two or three stops. I’ll be thinking of you until then. Your smile, and other things. *wink*
-Twilight Sparkle



August 4th
Dear Twilight,
I always promised myself I would never be a mushy pony. I’ve always hated when couples get all sappy and disgusting with each other in public (don’t mind when they get it on, but that’s just me). I felt it to be awkward, embarrassing, and most sinful of all, uncool.
...You are making me break that promise.
Twilight, you are just the cutest pony I’ve ever met in my life. I can’t help but get all warm and fuzzy inside when I think about that face of yours, or your voice saying out all this flirty stuff. I can’t help any of it. You are the cutest thing ever that I just wanna grab and make mine.
I knew this ever since I started making you fazed on purpose (thanks, btw), but now I need to say it when things aren’t getting hot and heavy. You are the most adorable pony in existence. I want to kiss that dorky face of yours over and over again. I l...like you a whole lot.
Moving on from mushiness, then...
Thanks for asking Celestia for me. I need to talk to her myself when you guys come over to Las Pegasus, just to show I’m serious.
Oh, I almost forgot! So there’s a Wonderbolts show in Las Pegasus in a few weeks (the 20th), and I have a ticket to see them that night. I still plan on going, but I’m just wondering: if you guys are in town that night, can we get like Royal box seats or something. I mean, if we’re ‘dating’ I guess, then we probably be doing stuff that’s like a date or whatever.
Plus, it’d be a great way to flaunt how good I’ve got it. Think about the headlines: Awesome Pegasus Tapping Princess of Magic.
AJ would be proud, hehe.
Anyway, let me know about all of that. Write back soon, okay?
Radically yours,
Rainbow Dash.
P.S.- Can you ask Luna what a moose looks like? Thanks.



August 11th
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
Dear Rainbow,
Your letters always make me giggle and smile. Sometimes they make me blush, too, but it’s never without a giggle or a smile. As nice as that is, and having them to reread and feel like you’re here (because when I read your letters it always feels like you’re right next to me, cracking jokes, poking me in the ribs, that sort of thing. Sometimes without thinking about it I try to rest my head on your shoulder and almost fall out of chairs. Dorky is probably an accurate description of me, huh?), I’m looking forward to being home again and having you there, instead of just in my head.
Ugh. You make me all sappy and mushy, too. It’s that talented tongue of yours, I’m telling you.
Anyway, I have good news. I asked about the Wonderbolt show in Las Pegasus and Princess Luna let it slip that a VIP box was already reserved for our visit, so not only will we get to see the show together from there, but I also know that I’ll be there for the show at all. I’m so excited to see you again, even if it’s only been a few weeks.
And who’s to say I won’t be flaunting you, anyway? ‘Princess of Magic Spotted with the Only Pony to Perform a Sonic Rainboom’ has a nice ring to it.
I’ve stopped bringing up the school for now, since I know you’ll have a chance to talk to Princess Celestia in person. Not that I have had a large amount of time to talk to her anyway. Mostly I talk to Shining and Cadence, sometimes Princess Luna. Luna still keeps her night hours despite the lunches and meetings, so I see her when everypony else is asleep (I always was a night-owl, anyway). I’m not sure how much sleep she’s getting herself, to tell you the truth. Probably explains the way she described what moose look like to me.
See, I asked her and she said (and I quote; I couldn’t not memorize this word for word), “Rugged and furry, with legs that go on for miles, broad chests, and antlers to write home about.” After that I think she realized who she was talking to. I’ve never seen her that out of sorts before; I probably would have laughed if my jaw wasn’t on the floor.
Anyway, moose are generally very tall. Bulls start out a little bit shorter than Princess Celestia and some can be even taller. Cows are somewhere in between Luna and Celestia in height. They usually have brown fur with a similar length and texture to griffons, and bulls have very large antlers that fan out to the sides of their heads.
Luna also described them as ‘dreamy’ if that helps you picture them better. It certainly didn’t help me; it just made me even more curious to get that story out of her. If I have any ulterior plans for our stop in Las Pegasus, it’s for the two of us to get her drunk enough to spill it. Are you in?
Of course you’re in.
-Twilight Sparkle



August 17th
Dear Twi,
It hasn’t been too hot of a week for me, so I’m hoping this can lift my spirits a little by writing to you.
Okay, so I’m having my lunch and work Booster sits down next to me and wants to tell me something. What is it? He wants to ask out the Gun Show!
...I’ve mentioned Gun Show before, right? He’s a stallion friend of Booster’s who works at a parts shop with these guys named Pecs and Flex. They’re pretty cool dudes.
So yeah, a big shocker for me, Booster is into dudes; specifically, the Gun Show!
I don’t get it, am I this bad with my gaydar? First I’m wrong with Fluttershy (I’ll get to that later), now, my own boss.
That kinda sucks, though, he’s pretty hot. Although, this lends to my theory that all hot guys are gay.
Soarin? Gay
Big Macintosh? Gay (Don’t tell AJ I said that)
Shining Armor? ...Damn, poor Cadence.
XD See, I’m already feeling better? But I’m about to feel like shit in a second.
So Booster just vents to me about how he doesn’t have to courage to tell Gun Show how he feels. Wanting to help, I go into a talk about how you, AJ and I got together, and all the drama and stuff (I had already told this stuff to Rarity when she needed help, so it had to work here).
So out loud, in the cafeteria, I’m talking about how I have two marefriends, and who just so happens to be walking by to hear this?
Bee Sting. Yeah, the kid who’s been crushing on me the whole time I’ve been here.
He just /drops/ his tray in the cafeteria and flies off. I could hear his damn sobbing. Booster went after him, but I was so much of a freaking coward that I just went up and left.
I feel terrible, Twi. He’s such a cool kid, and I went and made him cry like that. I felt like the biggest loser.
That was Thursday, so I haven’t seen from anypony since then, but I have to see Bee Sting again on Monday. I can’t have the summer end like this, Twi. What do I do?
Ugh, I’m sorry. I’m just bumming you out with all this crap, but I really have no clue what I’m gonna do. Just when I think I’m done with stupid drama, this happens.
Speaking of stupid drama, did you know that Rarity and Fluttershy are together now?
Yeah! Apparently Rarity pulled an Applejack and mailed some drunken love letters to Fluttershy. Fluttershy doesn’t send a response, and Rarity writes to me, saying stuff about how she’s never coming back to Ponyville and whatnot. So I write a letter to her telling her about what happened to us and convinced her to skip all of that by just being upfront with Fluttershy.
And Fluttershy said she liked her too!
That’s gotta be good for something, right?
Well anyway, I guess I’ll see you in a few days. I’m gonna try and figure out how to deal with this crap with Bee Sting in the meantime.
See you soon,
Rainbow Dash
P.S.- A chance to get a Princess drunk? You are so on!



August 24th
From Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
Dear Rainbow,
I just left Las Pegasus, and I want to turn around, come back there, and tackle you to the ground.
I told you that I thought I loved you. Well, I know it now. I’d explain how I figured it out, but I can just see your eyes glazing over from me trying. Here’s a simplified explanation: the dorky egghead did some dorky egghead magic experiments, and they happened to show her how she already felt in a different way that was easier for her to understand.
I don’t know if you noticed it, but I did a lot of worrying over the last few days, which I tried to keep hidden because I was so happy to see you again and be around you, and you needed me to lean on. I was happy to be there for you, and see your smile, and know that you’d be okay. Even though I was worrying about what I felt, being there with you was wonderful. It would have been perfect if Applejack was there, too, which made me worry more.
I’m done worrying now.
Okay, probably not. I’m quite talented at worrying things to death, so I’ll probably keep doing it, but I’m done worrying about this.
Because I love you, Rainbow. I love how you can make me laugh, even when I’m so embarrassed I could faint, or upset because you’re upset. I love how I can loosen up around you and just have fun. I love how right it feels when I’m with you, and how I can see the drive and fire in you to do great things. I love how sweet you can be, and how when you are that sweet it seems to endlessly surprise you, like you don’t know where it came from. I love your talented tongue—by which I mean how fun it is to tease each other.
And for some strange reason, I love how much you love Applejack, too.
We are a trio of freaks, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
With Love,
-Twilight Sparkle



September 6th
Dear Twilight,
It’s been a pretty chill day. I got back from Las Pegasus yesterday (awesome, awesome send-off by Booster), and once I got back (after getting a pretty exhausting welcome-back thanks to Pinkie Pie), I passed out at Sweet Apple Acres.
I hope you don’t mind that I’m crashing at the library now. Although, I probably should’ve at least asked Spike before I made myself at home (he totally freaked out when he came back from shopping and saw me come out of your bathroom).
So yeah, I was wondering, how much longer are you guys on tour? I gotta say, now that my summer’s over, it’s a drag not having everypony home (especially you and AJ). Besides, now there’s stuff that needs to get done. I swear, all this stuff with Fluttershy and Rarity is getting too crazy. I don’t know if I’m gonna have to smack Rarity upside the head, Fluttershy, or both. Either way, there’s gonna be some head gettin’ smacked upside.
Plus, there’s this business with the school. I’m so pumped to get going on that. I thought about it when I ran into Scootaloo. She was glued to my leg when found her.
Turns out she was raising money to come see me in Las Pegasus (I think I remember AJ writing about that to me once). She only raised a few bits, so I decided to take them from her and buy her an ice cream. You should have seen her face, it was awesome.
But yeah, seeing her reminded me that I promised to teach her how to fly a few months ago. This school is gonna be the perfect opportunity to do that, and I can’t do it without you.
Then, there’s gonna be this adventure of trying to explain to everypony what our deal is (the three of us, I mean). Just so you know, AJ’s family is totally cool with it (although Apple Bloom’s not sure if she gets it, can’t say I blame her). But yeah, I can’t exactly do that without you or AJ.
I can’t do a lot of stuff without you guys anymore. I know I don’t want to tie you or AJ down or anything (believe me, Rainbow Dash is not the type to be held back, so she definitely doesn’t hold back), but I’m the happiest I’ve ever been with you two, and I don’t plan on going back to anything that was before or might be after, unless it’s with you and Applejack.
So... yeah, come home soon, Twi. I’ll be at the library when you come back (I think I might do that crap where I’ve got rose petals that lead to the bed or something, *wink*).
Love you,
Rainbow Dash
P.S.- Is Spike allowed to have ice cream for dinner every night? He says he’s been doing that the whole time you’ve been gone. I haven’t said anything because I’m not his mom, but I’m just wondering if you’re cool with that.



October 27th
From the desk of Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic
(You can only imagine how wonderful it was to finally get new letterhead)
Dear Applejack and Rainbow,
This has been the craziest summer, hasn’t it?
I’m sorry I haven’t had a chance to write very much recently. It’s not entirely my fault; it was a joint effort between me and Shining Armor to completely derail the tour across Equestria and nearly kill everypony.
…I should probably explain that.
See, after our visit, Applejack, things between me and my brother improved a lot. I’m not sure exactly what was said between the two of you in the grove, but not only has he been in better spirits, he’s also stopped treating me so much like a foal. It was nice…well, nice isn’t quite enough to cover it. I know you both know that Shining and I have been close most of our lives, but…
We really haven’t been that close. Not for a very long time. We were as close as a pair of siblings could be when I was really little. I still remember what it was like, being in awe of him, because not only was he older and bigger than me (funny how big of a deal that could be when you’re a kid), but because he was so many things that I wasn’t.
Shining was so outgoing and charismatic; as a filly I kept to myself not only because I didn’t get the point of having friends, but because I had trouble relating to other ponies. I was so far in my own head that making those connections was beyond me, and he was so good at it, and at sports, and just as involved in his studies as I was.
Okay, not as involved in studying as me, but I could hold better conversations about magic with him than some of my teachers, back before I got accepted to Celestia’s school.
But then I did go to school, which brought me to living in the castle instead of with my parents. I saw Shining, and both my parents for that matter, off and on for all those years, but that relationship we had had as foals had become a memory instead of reality. For the few days I saw him, that didn’t matter, and we could pretend everything was the same as it was because there was no reason to look deeper and see that our relationship was built on a house of cards. Even when his wedding made me see that, I didn’t want to believe it. I’m glad things turned out the way they did, but at the same time we willingly put ourselves back in the dark, pretending that we were always this same team of BBBFF and little Twiley.
If I ignore everything amazing, wonderful, tedious, educational, and frightening, magical, boring, and eye-opening that happened this summer, it would still have been worth it to start that over, get to know who Shining Armor really is, and build something new with him.
Unfortunately, that meant that he stopped holding back for our sparring sessions. On the one hoof, I could keep up with him and learned a move or two (though I imagine without magic the two of you could still best me with no trouble; we’ll have to test this theory somewhere secluded). On the other hoof, we almost blew up the airship.
…And by ‘almost,’ I mean we blew up the airship.
I didn’t mean to, okay? I wasn’t trying to put everypony’s lives in danger when I cast that lance spell, and I know Shining didn’t know that it would go through three engines when he blocked it! It was an accident! And as many times as I’ve told Celestia that, I just know she’s gonna send me back to magic kindergarten any day now, and it’s hard to remember to breathe sometimes, and it was an accident, but
Sorry, started to panic there a little. I calmed down and had a slice of cake. It’s funny, I got so sick of cake there for a while, but now it’s relaxing. Maybe I ate so much of it that I got sick of being sick of it and grew fond of it again. I wonder if that happened to Pinkie ever? Anyway, that’s mostly what I’ve been doing: making myself panic and then eating cake. I’ll probably have to make myself useful around the farm before I make this triad look more like a quadrad.
Oh, that reminds me. Cadence gave me this book about relationships that I never had time to really read with any sort of critical eye until after I blew up the airship, and I finally found why she gave it to me.
What we have is called a triad. The simplest definition for that is a romantic relationship involving three ponies.
My book had a lot to say about it, a lot of which didn’t apply (for instance, most triads start out with a primary couple dating a third pony, with that relationship sometimes limited to sexual), or had some negative things to say. Triads are difficult to manage; most ponies who try them have issues with jealousy, if not over their partners having feelings for each other, than over how time gets split up. One on one relationships can be difficult on their own, without a third pony involved, and they have a history of being short lived and frustrating. I confess I saw the point; we three aren’t idle ponies who have all the time in Equestria to focus on each other, and we’re going to be hard pressed to always be available to be there for one another.
It was liberating to find how little I cared about that, though.
It was nice to know that what we have has a name, and that others have tried and succeeded before us to make it work, but that doesn’t matter to me, either.
I’ve spent the past two months dealing with an exploded airship and several dozen annoyed dignitaries who had to make arrangements to meet with us in Canterlot instead of their home cities, annoyed princesses who don’t enjoy having airships explode around them (also Luna was disappointed we didn’t make it to Baltimare. I was, too; I’ll have to make it up to Rarity later), working more on this song-magic project, eating far too much cake, and panicking.
And I’m finally coming home.
I’ve been dreaming about seeing the both of you again, every night and half of each day. I’ve missed my home, I’ve missed my friends, and I’ve missed the two ponies who have captured my heart. I’m excited for the challenge of making this work with the both of you. It’s going to be hard, and whatever the future holds now is going to take conviction and strength.
But I’m so ready for that, because you’re both worth it. Wherever life takes us, wherever we go, no matter how this ends, whether that’s months, or years, or decades in the future, through hard times and good times, I’m ready to take that journey with both of you.
I really can’t wait. I’ll see you both in a few days.
With love,
-Twilight Sparkle