• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,378 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,378

Chapter 4- A Place To Call Your Own

The school day had long since finished for me and the students who then left in earnest eager to be away from the building, me being among them. I glanced around and a frightening thought occurred to me, I was on an alien world and I had nowhere to sleep or eat! I almost broke down on the sidewalk but inhaled sharply to steady my nerves, which worked for a few feet until I fell to my knees. Now the thing about me is that many individuals compared my mannerisms to Deadpool, I made no sense and I overacted, unfortunately this was one of those times.

I merely stared at the heavens and pleaded to no one, “If I’m meant to live in a home here, please give me a sign.”

Twilight’s voice was heard behind me, “Uh…what are you doing.”

I sighed, “I’m experiencing a mental breakdown from the fact that I am technically homeless.”

I felt a hand on my shoulder, “Well maybe you should try to do this elsewhere.”

I stared at a slightly annoyed but understanding Twilight, “I guess you’re right, any ideas?”

Twilight helped me to my feet, “Well I have one, but we have to be quick.”

*

I stared around the darkened school library, “Okay now I KNOW this is illegal in some form.”

Twilight shook her head as she seated herself at a nearby table, “True, but desperate times call for desperate measures.”

I sat with across from her, “True, but what if were caught?”

Twilight shrugged, “We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.”

Spike walked over to the table, “Hey you two, I made your beds.”

I blinked in surprise, “Thanks Spike, you didn’t have to.”

Spike waved off the comment, “No problem, you’re a friend after all.”

I gazed at Twilight, “I was going to ask about that, why it is that you all were so accepting of me when you don’t even know me?”

Twilight leaned back and exhaled, “Well for starters we both have a mission to complete and what better way than being both friends as well as partners. And I suppose…the rest of the girls just took a liking to you, that and it’s probably because you and I are friends.”

I smacked my head onto the table, “Your exposition confuses me more.”

Twilight giggled, “And there’s that, you’re a funny guy and we can tell when someone means well. Call it intuition or the benefit of the doubt, but we’re all friends plain it simple.”

I looked at her with a smile, “Okay that clears some things up. But now I have to ask, did you get anything on Chrysalis’s whereabouts?”

Twilight clapped her hands together, “I’m so glad you asked!”

Twilight produced a yearbook and thumbed through it until she came to the staff photos. She placed it on the table and slid it over to me, but not before pointing to a picture of one teacher. I glanced at the picture and widened my eyes; the woman depicted seemed to be in the prime of her adult youth and had flawless black skin. Her eyes were a shade of emerald and her hair was straight and waist length but a much lighter shade of green. The dress she wore was a much softer black with a green fabric belt, spider web patterns adorned the dress like neon green cracks and she wore black heel shoes.

I looked at her with a serious expression, “This is her?”

Twilight nodded as she too became all business, “Yes, according to this she signed onto the staff two months before the end of the previous year when I was here last. She’s the current biology teacher and from what I've heard is friends with most of the staff.”

I smacked the book shut, “Damn! That means that she’s got powerful connections here.”

Twilight folded her hands on the table, “Exactly, a direct confrontation though effective would be a grave mistake. One word from her to Celestia and we both could be expelled, we need to bide our time and wait for an opportunity to present itself.”

I raised a finger, “And let’s not forget that if she figures out that we’re on to her and our reason for being here, things could get very difficult and fast.”

Twilight yawned, “Precisely, but could we discuss this at a later time and-“

Twilight stood up abruptly which caused me to follow her lead, “What is it?”

Twilight pointed, “I thought I just saw someone staring at us from the doors.”

I immediately turned my head, “You sure you weren’t just seeing things, they say if your sleepy you might start seeing things.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, “Who’s they?”

I then casually stated, “Medical specialists.”

Twilight rolled her eyes as she switched the lights off.

*

Soon both travelers slumbered peacefully. But Twilight’s accusation was indeed correct, there had been someone watching the two of them converse and the individual was not pleased.

“They could prove to be a problem.”

*

I awoke to silence and glanced around, Twilight and Spike were slumbering away without a care in the world. But I for one was freaked out due to the lack of the PA speakers not turning on. The clock read 8:15 in the morning and I quietly rose from my make shift bed of cushion’s and a drape. A soft glow of the morning sun illuminated the empty library as I ventured toward the door to check the halls. My heart stopped when I noticed the lights off and no one else walking through the halls.

I turned my head, “Uh... Twilight we have a problem.”

A series of shuffles and the sound of approaching footsteps eased my nerves, “What’s wrong?”

I blinked, “What day is it today?”

Twilight gasped, “The calendar says it’s Saturday.”

I nodded slowly, “That means all of the staff has the day off, and we’re locked in.”

We both then screamed for help.

*

Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack, Sunset, and Fluttershy were all standing out front of the locked school worried. They knew Twilight was going to accommodate Scribe with her in the library and they didn’t say anything, but when they had all awoken that day they noticed the day and rushed over immediately.

Rainbow Dash was attempting to figure out a way in, “Darn it! Rarity, do you have a hairpin I could borrow?”

Rarity nodded as she casually plucked one form her hair, “Here you go.”

Rainbow quickly took it and went to work as Fluttershy became worried, “Oh, they must be so scared.”

*

I was pacing fast in circles, “I’M SO FREAKING SCARED RIGHT NOW!!”

Twilight was calmly seated at a nearby table, “Scribe calm down, I’m sure someone will come around.”

*

Rainbow stuck her tongue out in focus, “Come on…come on, YES!!”

A click was heard as the door swung inward, but all present looked up in fear. Standing there staring at them was a man in a dark brown turtle neck sweater with black jeans and matching casual shoes. He had pale grey skin and neatly trimmed whitened hair. He had a small soul patch that matched his hair perfectly; and he was holding a cup of something in his hand and his other on the inner door handle.

The man’s red irises stared at them in confusion, “Um…you do know that school is out today right?”

Applejack approached the man, “Mr. Discord, thank goodness. Listen this may sound odd but-“

Mr. Discord cut her off, “You have two friends trapped in the library right?”

All the girls blinked in confusion, “Yeah, how did ya-“

Mr. Discord turned his head, “I’ve been hearing voices outside of my office, well actually it was screaming. I just passed the library when I noticed you trying to break in with a hair pin of all things Miss Dash.”

Rainbow blushed sheepishly as she backed up, “Uh…yeah.”

Mr. Discord lead them inside, “Follow me please.”

Mr. Discord led them to the library which he then opened; he was immediately greeted by the grateful faces of two students who both said, “Thank you!”

Mr. Discord cleared his throat, “What in the name of all things sane in the world were you two doing in the library?”

Twilight opened her mouth to speak but was cut off immediately, “They were helping me.”

All looked down the hall to reveal Umbra Glare, “Sorry Mr. Discord, I asked if they could find me a couple of things and I forgot to give them the key.”

Mr. Discord turned to the two, “Is this true?”

Both answered immediately, “Yes!”

Mr. Discord scratched his chin, “Alright then, but the next time you decide to look for materials for the school president. Please remember to take the key with you.”

*

Umbra approached us as Mr. Discord turned to leave, “That was a close one huh?”

I was as equally confused as everyone present, “Your class president?”

He scratched the back of his head in what I suppose was embarrassment, “Well yeah, I usually come by here every Saturday to fill out the paper work for the coming week, just to get it out of the way.”

Applejack smiled, “Thanks fer the help Umbra, much appreciated.”

Umbra smiled as he turned to leave, “Of course, anything I can do to help my fellow students.”

Twilight looked after him, “See Scribe I told you someone would come around.”

I ignored the comment and looked after Umbra, “That was a tad creepy.”

*

Time passed relatively fast and I soon found myself within a coffee shop, at least I think it was. I was focusing on the previous events, but one in particular stuck in my head. It’s not that I was ungrateful or anything for Umbra’s help, it’s just that it was a little too good to be true. I decided that I was just being paranoid and looked at my cup of soda, yeah I don’t drink coffee.

Twilight turned to me, “What do you think Scribe?”

I looked up absently, “Huh?”

Twilight sighed in annoyance, “Rainbow Dash just offered if we wanted to bunk at her place, the guest room can accommodate one on the bed and there’s enough space for one other to sleep on the floor. What do you think?”

I shrugged, “Sure.”

Rarity leaned over, “Are you all right?”

I looked to the side and smiled lightly, “Yeah I’m fine, just thinking.”

Fluttershy glanced over, “About what? That is if you don’t mind me asking.”

I looked up, “Just thinking about stuff back home that’s all.”

Sunset smiled, “You have a lot of friends back home?”

I nodded in happiness at the memory, “Yeah, can’t complain.”

*

Soon Twilight and Scribe found themselves at Rainbow Dash’s place. Quite modest in itself the house was two floors and painted a nice white with red trim. The driveway was empty but Dash informed the two her parents wouldn’t be home for a long while. After giving the two house guests the grand tour they all sat in the living room to chat about future engagements.

*

Rainbow Dash was slightly giddy with excitement, “This is so awesome! Two of my friends are living with me and the talent show is going to be happening soon!”

Twilight leaned back with a smile, “I’m just as excited as you are Dash, got anything planned for the show?”

Rainbow nodded, “Oh yeah! I’m gonna show the whole school my moves,” she stood up and struck a pose, “I’ll win for sure.”

I smiled at her jokingly, “You’re sure? I mean a lot of people have seen your moves before.”

Rainbow pointed at me with a cocky expression, “Not all of them.”

I leaned back as well, “I’ll take your word for it then.”

Twilight looked over at me with curiosity, “Do you plan on entering Scribe?”

I shook my head, “Nah, never really been one for school events. Not really my thing.”

Rainbow walked over to me, “Come on Cryptic, show some school spirit and compete. It’ll be fun for me to-“

Twilight fixed her with a glare as she corrected herself, “I mean…fun for YOU too take some students down.”

I shook my head once more, “I’ll think about it.”