• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,378 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,378

Chapter 26- Countdown To Subjugation I

The day that had arrived was the one he had all dreaded since day one, mid-terms. Granted it was a tad early for mid-terms but Principal Celestia had decided to move them way up before the actual day due to the fact of all the things that had gone wrong. I couldn’t blame her; frankly if I was in her shoes I would have done the same thing. Who knows if we might have ever gotten the chance to do them in the first place, an attack could have happened at any moment. Unfortunately that meant we had to begin cramming sessions for the remainder of the week. Let me tell you that it was not pleasant, although we did manage to formulate a study group but it still hurt our brains beyond belief. When I shut my eyes my mind was plagued by math formulas and horrifying historical facts. All of that aside we were prepared for the test. But one thing we were not prepared for was what was on the horizon.

*

It started at about mid-morning, ten AM if I remember correctly. It was a Sunday and the house was relatively quiet. I walked groggily downstairs and saw that the girls were sitting in the living room chatting about what to do for the day. I bid them my best good morning and went to retrieve some food for myself. I sat down with some toast and tuned in to the conversation.

Fluttershy smiled slightly, “Well I was thinking we could for a picnic in the woods. The trees are looking lovely and the leaves are such a beautiful color this time of year.”

Rarity nodded thinking, “Well that does sound like a good idea. I dare say some fresh air and good company would do us all some good.”

Rainbow Dash seemed on guard, “Chrysalis has been silent though for a LONG time now. Don’t you all find that a tad suspicious? She could already be planning her next move and waiting for us to let our guards down.”

Applejack rolled her eyes, “Dash if she was gonna make her move she woulda done it by now.”

I nodded, “AJ’s got a point. Having The Algorithm at only half power can only go on for so long.”

Twilight smiled, “Plus we’re pretty much ready for anything. So I think we deserve some time off from worrying about everything.”

Sunset raised her hand, “I second that!”

I stood up and dramatically proclaimed, “Then I shall retrieve my finest PANTS!”

All the girls laughed as I went upstairs.

*

Pretty soon we all arrived at the picnic area and we were all prepared for the day’s events. Pinkie Pie and AJ brought the food; the rest of us brought the good cheer and beverages. We all sat around discussing things of old and events in our lives that seemed quite exciting.

I looked at Twilight, “All six of you managed to rally an entire cafeteria of students? That’s a pretty big accomplishment.”

Sunset smiled at the memory, “Thinking back on it I was a tad peeved, but it was kind of amusing in some form.”

Rainbow Dash laughed, “Man those were good times.”

I leaned back, “One thing I find hard to believe here is how Sunset knew about The Crown when the portal doesn’t open for thirty moons.”

Sunset glanced at the girls as they stared at her and she rocked her head slightly, “Well I MIGHT have popped back on one occasion and sort of found out.”

I raised my glass, “Fair enough.”

Soon we all decided to go off and do our own thing in the park. Sunset and I decided to take a walk along a trail and just relax before we all decided to go back to the picnic area. Sunset and I were just gazing around at the sites until we came to a clearing that had two flat rocks on the far side on the border leading back inside the treeline. We both sat down on the rocks on gazed at the sky and smiled.

Sunset glanced at me, “Scribe. When I asked you back on our first date if you’d like me even if I looked different-“

I cut her off with a nod, “Yeah. When I was told about the whole world of pony’s thing it wasn’t hard to put two and two together especially after Twilight said you two came from the same world.”

She smiled brightly, “So you don’t care that I’m-“

I finished her sentence, “A pony? Nope, besides I bet you’re a pretty cute pony.”

She leaned over and hugged me, “That’s such a relief.”

She broke the hug, “I really wish I could show you Equestria.”

I smiled sadly, “Hey who knows, you might be able to one day.”

Sunset stood up and was ecstatic, “Oh man I’m just thinking right now. I could show you my hometown, Cloudsdale, Ponyville, Zebraca-“

I grabbed her shoulders, “Whoa slow your roll, I would love nothing more,” I turned her to look at me, “But we have to look at this on a realistic stand point. For one I think I might stand out in a crowd and for two do you think that anyone over there might be, well shocked to see you?”

Sunsets face fell slightly, “Yeah I suppose your right. I kind of burned that bridge when I left.”

I shook my head as I used my thumbs to raise the corners of her mouth, “Hey no frowning, this is a happy day!”

Sunset giggled slightly, “Let go of my face you weirdo!”

I shook my head with a grin, “There she is there’s the girl I know.”

Sunset smiled again and we kissed for a minute as the wind kicked up the leaves around us. However something was picked up by my ears that caused me to look around frantically.

Sunset took notice, “What is it?”

I narrowed my eyes, “We’re not alone.”

As if the universe was saying no shit, the foliage exploded as Chrysalis’s minions converged on us. They flanked us on all sides and spread out into a circle before we could blink they began to close the gap fast and I picked out the face of the dude known as The Captain. Soon they were upon us before we could blink they grabbed me first and then went for her.

Sunset began to kick and elbowed one in the face.

I threw one over my shoulder then yelled out, “TWILIGHT!”

The Captain smirked before planting his boot into my stomach then following through with a swift right hook to my jaw. Last thing I heard before I blacked out was Sunset screaming and calling my name.

*

I sat up immediately at the sound of voices around me and came face to face with the girls. Twilight was checking me over to ensure I wasn’t hurt which I assured her I wasn’t even though my ears were ringing slightly.

I glanced around as I stood, “Which way did they go?”

Twilight stood with me, “Easy Scribe you took quite a knock on the head.”

I looked at them all, “They took her SHE took her! I need to get her back.”

Rainbow Dash stood in front of me, “Whoa man don’t jump off the handle, you can’t walk into the bottling plant half cocked.”

Fluttershy nodded, “Let’s just head back to Dash’s, we’ll figure this out together.”

I reluctantly nodded, “Alright.”

*

I sat in silence; for once I didn’t mind it. It was giving me time to think on a few things one thought always coming to mind was how we let our guards down. We prepared for this and when the time came we were taken completely out of nowhere. The phone rang causing Rainbow Dash to rise and answer it.

*

Rainbow Dash answered the ringing phone, “Hello?”

The voice that answered was laced with glee, “Can Cryptic Scribe come out and play?”

Rainbow inhaled sharply in anger, “Where are you hiding?!”

*

Rainbow stormed into the room and passed me the phone, “Hello?”

Chrysalis’s voice responded back, “Good evening Mister Scribe.”

I clenched my teeth, “Where is she!”

Chrysalis chuckled, “She’s safe that’s all you need to know. I’ve called for a proposition that I believe you’ll find most beneficial to us both.”

I steadied my nerves, “And what exactly is that,” I put her on speaker, “this had better be good.”

Chrysalis spoke with an even tone, “It’s quite simple really. You are to finish decoding The Algorithm and I shall spare the girl. Refuse and she doesn’t see the light of day.”

I lost all function in me and leaned back in the chair, “The boiler room tomorrow morning. Come alone.”

The dial tone sealed my thoughts. I rose without a word and went upstairs to sleep.

*

Rarity looked after Scribe, “He’s going to do something drastic.”

Applejack nodded her head slowly, “We gotta try to reason with him. Tomorrow morning we gotta talk to him.”

All the girls nodded.

*

I walked downstairs the next morning to find the girls awake and waiting for me, “I know what you’re going to say, but I’m going.”

Twilight shook her head, “You’re going to put us all at risk if you do.”

I pointed to the door, “That psycho has Sunset and I am NOT letting her get hurt because of me. Now step aside.”

Twilight barred my way, “I won’t let you.”

I heard the girls shift behind me, “Twilight listen to me and listen well. The girl I loved is being held hostage because of me, because of what I am. I have something to lose and I am utterly refusing to lose it so I am asking you as a friend, my partner,” I stared straight in to her soul, “let me do this now.”

Twilight visibly began to question herself but reluctantly backed down, “I hope you know what you’re doing.”

I responded with a matter of fact tone, “If you don’t hear from me in 5 minutes after I arrive at the school. Come to the school to get me.”

I then shut the door.

*

The walk to school to me felt like it took years or worse that of a death march. I stood before the monumental building and sighed. The duty that had to be done was a risky one, but necessary. I texted the girls and informed them of my arrival before proceeding inside. The halls were silent but I heard the shuffling of early students moving around, the ones I passed eyed me curiously. I was stopped by a familiar voice when I rounded the corner.

Flash stared at me, “You’re going through with it?”

I nodded slowly, “Your car is here right?”

Flash nodded.

I returned his nod, "Alright"

Eventually I reached the boiler room door and opened it. The Captain welcomed me and led me down the stairs. Soon I found Chrysalis along with every single one of her troops taking up the boiler room. In total I counted about fifty.

I glared daggers at her, “Where is she Chrysalis.”

Chrysalis smiled, “She’s here ready to be released or otherwise. But that’s all up to you. Let me ask you something Scribe; are you willing to risk everything for one girl?”

I shook my head, “Not everything, just myself. The only reason I’m doing this is to keep her safe and to stop you.”

Chrysalis crossed her arms, “So confident are you?”

I looked her straight in her eyes, “It’s not confidence it’s a fact. I will stop you this day Chrysalis, count on that.”

Chrysalis produced The Algorithm, “What’s your choice?”

I looked down defeated, “As long as she goes and is not harmed, I’ll do it,” I looked at her once more, “Give me your word as a royal, your oath.”

Chrysalis cringed but reluctantly spoke, “I Chrysalis, acting Queen of the Changelings hereby vow not to harm a single hair on the pony known as Sunset Shimmer.”

I took The Algorithm and sighed, “Alright.”

The object I had sought upon my arrival glowed as my fingers dragged slowly across it in a sequence which soon ended and The Algorithm changing. The black ink of my printer soon became a celestial gold tinged with silver and seemed to glow with an inner light. Chrysalis immediately snatched it from my grasp as The Captain radioed someone.

Chrysalis was trembling in utter joy, “At last…all the power I have ever desired is finally mine.”

Chrysalis then placed her hand upon The Algorithm and was blasted by a vortex of pure silver. As the vortex built in power I shielded my eyes. The light soon faded as a smoking silhouette emerged. My eyes widened in utter fear at the creature before me. Its hair reached down to the center of its back and was an odd shade of blue. Her eyes were still the same color except her pupils were now slits, protruding from the top of her head were pony ears that were an unnatural black. Her skin had become unnaturally black as well. Her entire body was garbed in nasty looking insectoid looking armor that was a mixture of green and black plating. Her fingers had lengthened into pointed claws and her feet seemed to have become hoof like. Protruding from the center of her head was a curved and sharp looking horn. She sneered at me revealing fangs for teeth.

She then cackled in a two tone voice, “OH IT’S SO GOOD TO BE BACK!! AHAHAHAHAHAH!!”

She then raised The Algorithm and blasted her changelings with its energies. The things that emerged had all blue eyes and contorted faces with the same insectoid armor she wore as well as the same skin color.

I backed up as her army and Chrysalis converged upon me, “I’m afraid Mister Scribe that in light of this current situation, your services are no longer required.”

My eyes widened in utter fear and horror as they all closed in.