• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,378 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,378

Chapter 20- Crystals

I sat in the kitchen of Rainbow’s house as Twilight held an ice pack to my face. I explained what happened while they performed their rescue.

Twilight looked at me in absolute horror, “You decoded The Algorithm are you insane!?”

I eased her with a look, “It’s alright. I didn’t complete the process so it’s pretty much useless.”

Sunset shook her head, “It’s not, even if you partially decoded it all Chrysalis need is an item of any magical nature and she can manipulate it. Granted though, not on the scale she could if it were unlocked fully. At best I think she could probably change a few things.”

I looked at Sunset, “I’m just curious, what exactly will she be capable of when The Algorithm is fully decoded? I mean Celestia told me that she could change a spell on a much grander scale.”

Sunset straightened herself, “It’s more than that. There’s magic in everything, be it weak or strong. This world even has natural magic but it’s so low in abundance that no one can even channel anything. The Algorithm in itself is not only a magical tool of manipulation but it’s also a catalyst of almost god like proportions, if the user knows how to FULLY use it. If Chrysalis figures out all of The Algorithms secrets, let’s just say not even the princesses could stop her.”

Applejack nodded, “Alright, so what exactly can she do with it at only half power?”

Sunset looked at us all, “I don’t know, but I really don’t want to find out.”

*

The man was seated before Chrysalis as she held the red shard in one hand and the paper in the other. The man was waiting nervously as the woman paced around him, but she soon came to a stop in front of him once more.

Chrysalis placed the shard in his hand, “Hold on to that tightly.”

The man nodded as he glanced at the object, “What exactly will this accomplish?”

Chrysalis grinned crazily, “Not only will this test a theory of mine. But it will give you the power you so crave and as an added bonus a way to take your revenge.”

The man clenched his hand into a fist, “They’ll pay for what they did.”

Chrysalis raised the paper in front of her as it suspended itself in mid-air, “Now let’s make some magic!”

An exact copy of the magical formula on the paper projected itself onto the man who, at Chrysalis’s instructions, raised the hand that the shard was clutched in. The second the hand entered the formula it flared bright. Chrysalis’s eyes widened in wonderment as the formula on the actual paper seemed to open up before her and show her threads of energy. The threads that composed The Man were a light lemon color whereas the lines for the shard were blood red. She touched one strand of the shard’s lines and connected it to one of The Man’s in his hand. The Man then sharply twitched causing Chrysalis to giggle in excitement. She then went to work combining all of the shard’s lines with The Man’s lines until the process was completed. She then placed her palm upon the paper as the formula blazed bright, the paper then rolled itself up. Nothing happened at first, but soon the man was engulfed in pure darkness. The dark power surged and churned as his yell of surprise turned much deeper and transitioned into a yell of exuberance. When the energy faded, a pair of glowing green eyes with purple smoke gazed at Chrysalis and they both then shared in a maniacal cackle.

*

I sat in silence in the school library the next day as things began to wind down after the bell rang. I was reading up on a couple of things in year books of old in an effort to better understand my fellow students and their pasts, I know I’m weird sue me. As I thumbed through last year’s book I noticed a photo of the girls in their “pone forms” as I called them smiling with Spike at the camera on a dance floor. I tilted my head as I read the caption, “Fall Formal Heroes,” I flipped to the next page to find Sunset and two other students standing in front of the school covered in cement and brandishing trowels. There expressions were ones of both shame and satisfaction at whatever job they had just completed.

“Did you know when that photo was taken that it was THE hottest day all season?”

I jumped slightly but took notice of her, “What exactly did you three do at the Formal? I mean no one gives me a straight answer when I ask.”

Sunset sighed in slight sadness as she sat down, “Well I guess it’s because it’s a pretty touchy subject. I already told you that I wasn’t always…nice, Umbra was living proof of that.”

I leaned forward, “Tell me what happened, please.”

Sunset looked me straight in the eyes, “Back then I was cruel, arrogant, selfish, a bully, and jealous of others. I was always willing to emotionally harm and humiliate anyone in my way. But unlike Umbra I had limits; I would never use hostages or cause any real harm to another.”

Her face seemed to drop, “But that night when Twilight won the crown I got desperate and eventually I had the prize I sought after. However when I tried to use the Element of Magic, it changed me,” she hugged herself, “the pain and feeling of all of that…darkness consuming me. It was painful; I felt the tears as I lost myself to that horrible piece of myself. I became sadistic and I didn’t care in the slightest if I crushed my enemies into dust. But then Twilight saved me and I was myself again with no more of that hate in me.”

I smiled at her as I placed a hand on her shoulder, “And don’t forget that you have an awesome boyfriend to keep you company.”

Sunset feigned sarcasm, “Well your right about one thing, you are my boyfriend.”

I immediately took notice of her jibe and playfully shoved her, “Hey!”

Sunset and I laughed until my eyes caught something in the yearbook, “Hold on a sec…”

I noticed a photo of Mr. Discord, Mr. Sombra, Umbra, and Chrysalis all standing together during something called the “Hearths Dance.” They seemed to be laughing and were in good spirits. I blinked a couple of times as a dark theory dawned on me.

I stood up, “That’s it,” my voice became frustrated at how naive I had been, “THAT’S the connection!”

Sunset became confused as I dragged her to the counter and checked the yearbook out, “Call the girls Sunny.”

Sunset produced her phone and became puzzled, “What for?”

My tone had been laced with a cold undertone, “Because I just figured out that we may have bigger problems.”

*

I pointed at the photo, “Look at this and tell me what you see.”

Fluttershy squinted, “The teachers laughing with Umbra?”

Rarity nodded, “Exactly, I don’t see what the problem or this connection you speak of is.”

I began pacing, “Think about this for a second, Umbra controlled the faculty and students to turn a blind eye to him and not question his decisions. Now think on this, Umbra and Chrysalis couldn’t simply orchestrate this plan between the two of them with a bunch of troops; Chrysalis especially would need a foot hold here.”

Twilight was interested in my theory, “What are you getting at?”

I stopped, “What I’m getting at is that Chrysalis couldn’t have gotten so tightly engrained within the faculty without help…from the inside.”

Twilight’s eyes widened, “Your saying.”

I nodded as I jabbed the photo, “Chrysalis is the puppet master who knows just the right strings to pull. I mean Umbra brought over Gilda and Lightning Dust over to their side with promise of power and their inner most desire. What’s stopping her from doing the same?”

Twilight leaned back, “Well for one, THESE versions don’t strike me as evil. They’re both just teachers trying to get by and two there’s no motive.”

Rarity raised her hand, “Actually there might be.”

Sunset slowly nodded, “Yeah.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, “Why though?”

Rainbow Dash cleared her throat, “Well everyone at school knows about why Sombra is a teacher at our school. He used to be a respected theatre professor at Crystal Empire University, but some sort of incident involving a lesson resulted in him being utterly humiliated in front of the entire University which soon resulted in him being fired. Many of the students at the school say they can still hear him muttering how he would make them pay for his humiliation.”

I was a tad skeptical, “What exactly happened?”

Applejack scratched her chin, “Ah think it had somethin to do with him losin his temper on a student after a prank was pulled on him.”

Rarity nodded, “Yes that was it! He acted unprofessional and blamed the school’s ethics of discipline. He claimed and I quote,” she did her best impression of Mr. Sombra, “If I were in charge I would run the tightest ship imaginable.”

Pinkie Pie clapped, “Nice one Rarity!”

Rarity tossed her hair slightly, “Well I am getting top marks in his class after all.”

Rainbow snickered, “Gee I wonder why.”

Rarity huffed at the comment as I raised mediating hands, “Alright, now what about Discord?”

Sunset stepped forward, “That one I know. He used to be a respected mental consultant but he used very unorthodox methods to achieve results. He was fired but offered the counter argument that everyone needs a little madness and chaos to be truly sane.”

I folded my hands, “I assume no one bought it?”

Sunset nodded, “Not even if it was at an auction going for nothing.”

I then began to contemplate, “Alright now we know the why our next problem is the when, and where.”

There was a frantic series of knocks on the front door which was soon answered by Fluttershy. Flash Sentry looked like he had just run a marathon as he was bent over panting.

He pulled out his phone, “You’ve got to…look…at this.”

On the phone was a large three floored building that looked to be made of blue glass. But the sky was darkened and it seemed that the darkness itself was creeping toward the building.

I turned to Twilight who nodded with a focused look.

*

All I could do at that moment was blink at the spectacle before me, “Its official, now I’ve seen everything.”

After Flash had delivered the picture to us we immediately departed with The Element of Magic in tow. Twilight, at my insistence, briefed me on her universes Sombra and what he was capable of. To tell you the truth I wasn’t surprised. The guy sounded like bad news and the fact he could use dark magic frightened me, but I was slightly at ease since the Element was with us.

I stepped forward cautiously and picked up a stick, “Well let’s see what we’re up against.”

The University had been surrounded by a pitch black dome of churning darkness that allowed no light to reflect off its dark surface. I jabbed the barrier and the stick sunk in.

I turned back and looked at the girls, “Alright, I THINK it’s safe. But let’s just proceed with caution here.”

Twilight nodded as she donned her crown, “Roger that.”

Soon the six girls assumed their pone forms while Sunset watched. The rest of the group joined me at the dome and we collectively inhaled.

Twilight stepped forward as her wings folded tightly, “Forward unto the breach.”

We all then stepped through the dome.

*

Meanwhile

Vice-Principal Luna was seated behind her desk going over some paper work for the coming week and sighed in annoyance as a knock interrupted her, “Come in.”

Chrysalis casually strolled in carrying a bag under her arm, “Good day Luna.”

Luna raised a surprised eyebrow, “Chrysalis? What are you still doing here? I thought you did your work at home.”

Chrysalis took a seat in a chair, “I just dropped by to talk, is that so bad?”

Luna raised an eyebrow, “Talk about what exactly?”

Chrysalis folded her hands on the table, “The future.”

*

We all looked around in shock at the spectacle before us. The students of the university seemed to be frozen within dark crystals in petrified states of fear or in the process of fleeing whatever they had been running from. We slowly weaved our way around them and glanced at some of the students, their eyes could still move which unsettled us all greatly.

We then smacked into a girl who was wearing a face of absolute terror, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! RUN BEFORE HE FINDS YOU OUT OF CLASS!”

Twilight gripped the girl’s shoulder, “Before who finds us?”

The girls trembled in terror, “Mr. Sombra, he’s absolutely lost it! He froze everyone in these crystals just by pointing at them and those eyes,” she broke down into hysteric tears, “those horrible eyes!!”

Fluttershy kneeled beside the girl, “It’s alright your safe now. But if you wouldn’t mind, could you tell us exactly where Mr. Sombra is?”

The girl took notice of the other’s pone forms, “What the?!”

Rarity quickly shushed her, “We’re just wearing costumes. Now please, where is he?”

She shakily pointed down the way, “T-the gymnasium, just follow the crystals.”

*

Luna was slightly surprised at this, “The future? Hm, you never struck me as the idealist type.”

Chrysalis leaned back as she placed her bag down, “Let’s just say I’ve seen the future and it looks grand.”

*

We did as the girl instructed and followed the dark crystals. Some had students in them whereas others merely had objects or nothing at all within them. As we neared the gym we took notice that even though that the crystal’s had ceased in abundance they were still littered around the entry way in a manner reminiscent of an aisle. I looked at the girls as they gave me a nod of encouragement, I then pushed the doors open and doubled back in surprise. In the dead center of massive gym rested a large throne made of black crystals and the person seated upon it was even more frightening. Mr. Sombra’s hair had become wild and longer. It was a much deeper black where as his dark grey skin had become slightly darker. On his body was a suit of dark chrome armor with a nasty looking crown atop his head. Draped on the back of the throne was a dark red cape with white fluffy trim. The fingers of his gauntlets were blood red and crystal-like as they drummed rhythmically on his armrests.

His eyes then began to glow green and exude purple smoke, “Children who trespass on school property must be punished.”

He stood and walked to the ground, with each step a small ring of tiny crystals would raise from the ground at his feet.

I began to step back, “Uh anytime for an Element blast would be greatly appreciated girls.”

Twilight and the others began to back up as well, “I would gladly oblige but we need time to charge it.”

I looked at her in exasperation, “What do you mean to charge it?!”

Sunset slowly reached for something, “The elements of harmony take time to charge and it will leave them exposed. So we need to get some breathing room.”

Sombra narrowed his eyes, “Talking behind my back eh? You’re just like the rest of them!”

Sunset then whipped out a fire extinguisher and fired it at Sombra, “RUN NOW!”

Sunset then threw the piece of equipment at Sombra as we all bolted.

*

Luna nodded slightly, “And what pray tell gave you this vision?”

Chrysalis began to pace around the room, “Well what I saw was this, the world is changing drastically and there is something grand on the horizon that we must prepare for accordingly.”

Luna followed her with an even gaze, “Go on.”

Chrysalis began to fiddle with something in her hands that Luna took note of, “Well to put it simply, we as beings are unprepared for such a drastic change. But at the same time change is so easily grasped because sometimes either you change with the world or it forces you to change.”

Luna stood, “That’s actually quite profound.”

Chrysalis turned to her, “It’s true.”

*

We we’re running for our lives as dark magic blasts rained down on our heads. Twilight and Rarity decided to provide us with cover fire as we weaved through the hallways. We rounded a corner only to grind to a halt as a massive wall of crystals sprung up to block our paths.

I then yelled out in rage, “Fraking crystals!”

Pinkie Pie took notice of this, “I was going to ask you Scribe, what exactly does Frak mean?”

We all ducked into a nearby lecture hall, “It’s kind of like a substitute for a curse word.”

Pinkie Pie nodded, “Oh I get it.”

I glanced down to the lecture hall floor and then around, “Girls, we’re at a dead end.”

Sunset looked at the professor’s desk, “Not quite.”

I took notice of a projector and some duct tape.

Sunset smiled almost evilly, “I have a plan.

*

Sombra busted down the door to an empty room and glared around. All of the blinds had been shut and the lights extinguished. His piercing glare searched through the darkness in an effort to find that group of intruders. He stepped down toward the bottom of the lecture hall unaware that some shapes were moving in the darkness. Six of which got closer together while two neared the front.

Sombra glanced around, “I know you’re here, even when your hiding I can smell your fear.”

*

He set me up for the line, plus I always wanted to say it, “Why on earth would we hide?”

Sombra’s eyes were on me as myself and Sunset both wore bored expressions, “Don’t dare mistake our patience for cowardice. Honestly we were getting a little bored waiting for you.”

Sombra took a step forward as Sunset pushed a button beside her blasting Sombra with sudden disorienting light from the projector that was only amplified by the crystals we had taped in place. Sombra stumbled backwards and waved his hands only for another fire extinguisher blast to hit him full in the face.

I looked at Sunset, “Where do you keep finding those?”

Sunset then produced another one and cocked a thumb at an open door, “Supply closet.”

I grabbed one and joined in. However Sombra blasted us away and wrecked the projector.

He loomed over us and raised his hand, “Now how do you intend on stopping me!”

I pointed, “With that.”

Sombra whipped around as Twilight smiled triumphantly. The last thing we all saw was a flash of rainbow light before the blinding came back.

*

Luna was surprised at this, “True?”

Chrysalis seemed to deviate for a moment before altering the conversation, “You know you remind me of someone I knew once. She was a lot like you in most regards, Wise, kind, and powerful.”

Luna was slightly nervous, “Um…thank you.”

Chrysalis nodded, “Yes she was indeed like you, and you know I met her at a wedding that I attended.”

Luna blinked, “Was it yours?”

Chrysalis visibly grinded her teeth, “It was supposed to be.”

Luna became sympathetic, “I’m sorry.”

Chrysalis smiled, “Don’t be! But back on topic, this individual like all others once had a dark side you know.”

*

We all stared in shock down at the incapacitated Mr. Sombra who was clutching a red shard.

Twilight picked up the shard, “It's our Sombra’s horn fragment.”

Sunset nodded, “It looks like Chrysalis merged it with him using The Algorithm.”

The sound of siren’s altered us to take our leave, “Come on girls let’s scram.”

We all we’re immediately teleported out by Twilight.

*

Luna became slightly nervous as Chrysalis advanced upon her, “Chrysalis, please step back.”

Chrysalis smiled and ignored the comment, “Her dark side was the complete opposite of her. Dark, calculating, and by all accounts pure evil, she was truly magnificent.”

Luna was now against her desk as she saw some sort of azure metal in Chrysalis’s hand, “Why are you telling me this?!”

Chrysalis then spoke one word chillingly, “Change.”

Chrysalis then forced the metal shard into the Vice-Principals hand and forced it closed. Acting quickly she produced The Algorithm and began to get quickly to work on the process she had performed upon Sombra.

Chrysalis smiled with evil glee as she took a couple of the lines from the armor and aligned them with the lines in Luna’s mind, “Let’s spice it up a bit!”

She planted her hand on the paper to complete the process.

Luna stood up quickly and clutched her head in absolute pain and screamed and soon an explosion of dark azure energy consumed her and blew Chrysalis to the floor and destroyed everything made of glass around the office.