• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,378 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,378

Chapter 19- Karma

Chrysalis sat in her darkened room staring at where her ex-partner once sat in times such as this. True Umbra had been slightly unstable, but he was calculating and devised many stratagems for their partnership. It was rather unfortunate for his defeat especially since she was among the crowd that had witnessed it. She sighed and rubbed her temples as she recalled that at the head of the pack that had destroyed him she had seen those six familiar girls. Her frustration reached its peak as she stood and hurled her chair against the far wall surprising the shapes in the darkness. Even on another world those six mares exist and insist on ruining everything she worked so hard to build up. As she was getting to the point of flipping the table in front of her a shape cleared its throat.

Chrysalis glared at the shape, “What?!”

The shape shrunk back, “My queen, there are two visitors here to see you.”

Chrysalis narrowed her eyes upon the guard, “I was not expecting anyone.”

The guard looked to the side, “They claim to be the two individuals that worked for Umbra and the tallest one says she has information for you concerning The Algorithm.”

Chrysalis reflected on this news for a moment but relented, “Send them in.”

The far side door opened with a metallic creak as two girls gazed around at their surroundings, “Welcome to my humble home.”

Gilda stood firm as Lightning Dust gazed in slight fear around her, “Your Umbra’s boss right?”

Chrysalis nodded, “Was his boss.”

Gilda produced a file, “Umbra gave us instructions that if he didn’t contact us after two days that we were to give you this.”

Chrysalis took the file and thumbed through it revealing photos and scribbled notes all concerning a student who she had bumped into no sooner than a day ago. Her eyes widened upon reading one cliff note in particular.

She lowered the file and spoke in a low voice to the room, “Bring me the one known as Cryptic Scribe.”

*

My ears began to burn. I glanced around as all the girls sat with smiles on their faces waiting for the movie to start. I had to say one thing about this alternate world; they sure did know how to advertise! The movie was supposed to be the biggest box office smash to hit the big screen. I prepared for the massive let down accordingly. I felt someone lean against me as the lights blinked out and smiled down at the familiar cyan eyes. As the movie started I felt the hairs on my neck stand on end and instinctively turned to look behind me. I saw other movie goers enjoying the flick like the rest of us but I still had the feeling I was being watched by someone…or something.”

Sunset must have taken notice of my nervousness, “Something wrong?”

I slowly stood, “I gotta use the restroom I’ll be right back.”

*

I slowly walked out into the hallway of theater doors and the entire cinema aside from the muffled noises of other films was eerily quiet. If this has ever happened to you it can be a LITTLE bit creepy. I slowly moved down the way toward the bathroom making note of the sound of a door opening from behind me further down the way. I quickly turned the corner into the bathroom and waited. I heard rushed footsteps and knew for once my paranoia had paid off; I turned the corner and tackled the incoming assailant to the ground. The person had pitch black skin and dark blue eyes with lighter black hair. He also seemed to be dark clothing border lining on metal fan to Goth.

I glared at the sneering guy, “Who sent you and why are you following me!”

The guy was now smirking, “Who says I’m the only one.”

I was immediately grabbed from behind by…clones?! The two guys that had me in their grasps looked identical to the guy I had tackled down to the last detail. I struggled with all my might and kicked the guy I tackled in the gut before one of my captors smacked me hard on the back of the head. I was dazed but then another swift hit black lighted me.

*

The girls were soon out of the theater looking for Scribe. They asked the management who seemed slightly out of it and said they saw no one of that description leaving. Pinkie Pie yelled for the group who rushed in earnest to her location. Pinkie Pie was frowning as she held up Scribe’s discarded glasses.

Twilight took them gingerly, “What happened to him?”

Sunset was filled with boiling anger, “I don’t know but if I find out who took him they had better pray I don’t find their hidey hole.”

Applejack placed a calming hand on her shoulder, “Now let’s just settle down an think. Who do we know that might have it out for Scribe?”

Rainbow Dash was slightly flustered, “Well the only one who did became good and dissolved into sparkles, remember?”

Twilight looked up, “No…there’s one other who might.”

*

I awoke to find myself tied down to a chair and staring into the smiling face of Chrysalis, “Good evening Cryptic Scribe.”

I narrowed my eyes at her, “So we meet at last.”

Chrysalis folded her hands atop the table we were seated at, “I think that’s my line, Protector of The Algorithm.”

I immediately tensed as she laughed, “Oh yes I know. But you’re wondering how I found out right? Well it’s simple, I was merely given information by an ex-partner of mine perhaps you know him?”

I immediately put two and two together, “Umbra, so you were his benefactor.”

Chrysalis nodded with a snide smile, “Bingo.”

I writhed in my bonds, “Well jokes on you because he’s kind of gone now. Plus my friends are going to be looking for me.”

Chrysalis stood and walked around toward me, “Oh I’m counting on it. But you see before anything else I need you to do something for me.”

Chrysalis then smacked a familiar looking paper in front of me, “You know what this is don’t you?”

I stared wide eyed, “The Magic Algorithm.”

Chrysalis smirked as she tapped the paper with her nail, “You see I have a bunch of events lined up and I need this to work in top form. So my favour is a simple one, decode the Algorithm and you can leave in one piece. Refusal to do so will make things worse for you so my advice is,” she leaned dangerously toward me, “do as you’re told.”

I glared right into the queens eyes, “Never.”

Chrysalis lightly chortled, “Have it your way then,” she snapped her fingers as three of her lackeys appeared, “persuade our guest to change his mind would you?”

*

Twilight and the girls all sat in Rainbow’s house as their knowledgeable friend scanned city maps in an effort to pinpoint where Chrysalis might be. So far her estimates were coming up blank, if only she had access to the Canterlot Royal Archives. She continued to search for any building that might remotely act as a changeling base of operation but groaned in frustration.

Sunset was beside her, “You’re looking at it the wrong way. Changelings prefer dark and sometime damp. Like a cave network or a swamp.”

Twilight looked at Sunset in surprise who merely shrugged, “I had time for some research after some cramming sessions.”

Twilight and Sunset began to double team the search until finally Sunset clapped her hands together, “THERE!”

All the girls gathered around the terminal and asked in unison, “What?”

Sunset pointed in satisfaction, “The harbor, it’s the only place near the water with buildings that fit the changeling quota for the biggest dream home.”

Rarity gagged slightly, “We’re going to have to go near salt water? But it will absolutely destroy my complexion!”

They all just stared at her which caused her to sigh, “Alright where do we begin?”

Twilight pointed to a large factory that was reported abandoned for years, “At the Flim Flam Bottling Company.”

*

I saw stars once more as another one of Chrysalis’s crony’s laid into me. I looked up at the sound of her giving the cease fire for the fifth time. I tasted pennies in my mouth as she crooked a finger under my chin and stared into my still defiant look.

Chrysalis narrowed her eye, “We both know you can’t keep this up, so why don’t you be a good boy and do what I say?”

I responded with spitting a gob of blood in her face which then quickly earned me a backhand across the face.

*

The girls were antsy on the bus ride over to the harbor praying that their transportation would go faster. Son the bus hissed to a stop as they disembarked and beheld their destination looming menacingly on the far side of the harbor. All of them then became focused and began sprinting toward their goal.

*

I was panting as Chrysalis glared daggers at me, “Perhaps you don’t understand the gravity of the situation. With my position in the school I can easily have you and your little clique of friends expelled with just a mere word to the Principal. Or better yet, since no others know of my changelings coming over with me to this world I can easily make your friends vanish off the face of the Earth,” she dragged out each word, “one by one.”

I stared at her, “Your bluffing.”

Chrysalis leaned forward, “Are you willing to take that risk?”

I glanced to the side only for a changeling to rush into the room, “My Queen, we have intruders within the factory!”

Chrysalis reeled on her soldier, “What?! Who!”

The soldier exhaled, “The elements of harmony and a seventh girl I’ve never seen before.”

I perked up at the mention of the girls, “Sunset.”

Chrysalis took notice and smirked, “Go up and give them a proper welcome captain.”

I thrashed hard, “Chrysalis, don’t hurt them!”

Chrysalis approached as the captain froze at a hand signal, “Of course I won’t. But that’s only if you decode the Algorithm for me. Do this for me and I’ll allow them to leave,” she then coldly added, “with breath in their lungs.”

I clenched my teeth and growled at the situation, I was in a no win situation. If I didn’t comply the girls might be killed or worse and if I did comply the world would suffer.

I sighed, “Alright…I’ll do it.”

Chrysalis smiled in triumph, “Good now get to work,” she turned to the captain, “go upstairs and keep our guests occupied. I would rather we are not disturbed.”

The captain nodded as I looked after him and looked at the Queen Changeling, “You said you wouldn’t hurt them!”

Chrysalis raised a finger, “The promise was that I would not KILL them. There was no promise of not harming them in there at all.”

She cackled as I stared at The Algorithm praying that the girls would be safe.

*

Applejack was slowly casting the glare of her flashlight around the darkened factory as machinery that towered above them all made imposing silhouettes. She turned a corner and yelled out in surprise at a massive monstrosity of metal and gears. The others came to her side and noticed the thing was nothing more than a massive bottling machine.

Rainbow Dash walked side by side with Sunset, “Well this is new, kind of makes you want to get out more often eh Sunset?”

Sunset shook her head as she pushed a large cog out of the way, “Not really. I just want to find Scribe and get out of here before something else goes wrong tonight.”

Pinkie Pie moved some scrap out of the way as they entered the break room. Twilight looked around wary of everything she could not see.

Twilight stopped, “This isn’t right.”

Fluttershy looked at her in puzzlement, “What do you mean?”

Twilight glanced around, “Don’t you find it a little odd that we’re in the heart of enemy territory and nothing’s happened yet?”

Rarity nodded, “Well yes but what’s your point?”

Twilight stood beside RD and Sunset, “Well I mean we should have at least run into, I don’t know. A guard or a booby-trap,” the batteries in the flashlights they had then picked the worst moment to die on them as Sunset finished for her friend, “Or an ambush.”

The girls we’re then besieged on all sides by fifteen men.

*

I was still blinking in disbelief at The Algorithm. At first I couldn’t understand it at all but I found as I stared at it longer I began to notice that the lines and circles as well as the letters seemed to either light up or move a certain way. Some of the light pulsed from the bottom up on the lines where as other went from to top to bottom. The circles rotated counter clockwise for some, others rotated in the opposite direction. Lastly the way the letters lit up and faded resembled the way someone would key in a password. I reached out and robotically began to slide my finger along the corresponding lines, circles, and letters in the correct sequence much to my on looker’s fascination and curiosity. The formula began to glow faintly as my heart became heavy. All that had to be done now was to key in the last four digits and rotate the last circle to unleash its full power. As I moved to do so a crash ruined my concentration.

I looked up to see the girls glaring down at Chrysalis, “Girls!”

Chrysalis was astounded, “How did you get past my guards!?”

Twilight smiled, “Word of advice, don’t attack a group of girls inside a dark break room with stray tables and chairs lying around. On a side note I think an old microwave knocked one of them silly.”

Chrysalis glanced over at me, “Well I’m afraid you’re too late. The Algorithm had been decoded and now I have won!”

I immediately scrambled from my chair and rushed to the girls but not before I yelled, “Says you!”

Chrysalis reached for The Algorithm and pointed it toward us, “Now my power shall return to me and…wait,” she stood still and the last words we heard before we left earshot completely was, “THIS THING ISN’T FULLY OPENED!!!”

*

The Captain returned out of breath, “My queen, I am afraid we have lost them.”

Chrysalis was in the brink of popping a vein but inhaled, “No matter. The Algorithm may not be fully unlocked but I still have a hoof hold.”

Chrysalis produced an old equestrian lock box and searched through it, “Ah...perfect,” she produced a shard of some sort of red substance and pulled out her cellphone before keying in the number and answering the receiver of her call, “Yes it’s me, there seems to have been a slight change of plans. But I can still give you ONE thing I promised, come to me immediately.”

Within the box rested two other objects. One seemed to be the clipping of a claw while the other was azure and seemed to resemble a shard of armor.