• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,377 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,377

Chapter 15- Among Snow and Ice

After a rough night we all awoke to the weirdest thing ever, a snow day during fall. Dash had convinced the girls to stay overnight so that way we wouldn't be taken by surprise again. I awoke first to find that they had reverted to normal and upon noticing snow I roused the rest of them from their slumber. To say the least we were excited and immediately went to grab winter coats. I walked out with a decently manly black coat with white lightning bolts on the sleeves. We all smiled in unison as we ventured out into the cold air. Upon venturing toward the school we discovered that it was closed for the day due to the snow. Now one thing came to our minds, a bunch of teen friends and a closed school during a snowfall.

We all yelled in unison as we raised our arms, “SNOW DAY!!!!”

*

On the sports field we began to get to work on our merriment. Pinkie was attempting to build the largest snow man known to humankind while I and Twilight were locked in a snowball war with the remaining girls. I popped my head up and got beaned immediately.

Twilight was panting with exhaustion, “What’s our status?”

I wiped the frost from my face, “Applejack’s holding a firm line and Rainbow’s looking for an opening.”

Twilight nodded, “Fluttershy and Sunset?”

I snickered, “Supplying the munitions.”

Twilight nodded having a plan already formulated, “Alright. Scribe you rush left an I’ll take them by surprise.”

I rolled my eyes, “Great, I’m the bait.”

I stood up and began to rush to the left as I knocked AJ’s hat from her head, “Well miss I didn’t know you could tip your hat to me.”

Applejack stood up and began to hurl more ammo at me as Rainbow did the same. I noticed Twilight come out from behind our fortification and hurl a series of snow balls at her exposed targets. Both girls had a hard time multitasking between the two of us. Twilight continued her endless assault as I leapt of their wall and snatched a few snowballs and attacked from behind. Unprepared for the assault the girls put up a decent fight but eventually yelled out their surrender. Soon we were all dusting off as we beheld Pinkie’s snowman in awe.

Pinkie smiled in pride, “Told ya I could do it.”

I nodded with my mouth agape, “I don’t believe it.”

Sunset smiled, “Nice job Pinkie.”

I glanced to my side and noticed a shape in the window and narrowed my eyes. Sunset turned to the group and informed us she had to go get something. We nodded as she left, Pinkie then decided to draft us to assist in building a snow town. I however declined for the time being out of the paranoid feeling that we were being watched and I had a pretty good idea by whom. I turned on my heel and left the area. After a good few minutes I reached the far side of the school and found Sunset staring at the school statue in an almost longing and somewhat distant expression. I hid in a nook and watched her.

*

Sunset pulled her winter coat tightly around herself as she stared at the school statue which acted as the schools symbol and portal back to Equestria. She smiled sadly as she leaned against it and stared at the school.

*

I lingered nearby watching Sunset as she seemed to look off into space. I had a feeling we weren’t the only ones out here.

*

Sunset turned to the statue and softly sang to herself, “You were once my one companion, you were all that mattered. You were once a friend and teacher, then my world was shattered.

*

I raised an eyebrow in confusion, “What is she talking about?”

*

Sunset began to calmly walk in the snow, “Wishing you were somehow here again, wishing you were somehow near. Sometimes it seemed if I just dreamed, somehow you would be here.”

Sunset then sat upon the stairs and looked to the heavens, “Wishing I could hear your voice again knowing that I never would. Dreaming of you helped me to do all that you dreamed I could.”

*

I was now intrigued, “WHO is she talking about?”

*

Sunset then stood and gazed at the school building as a whole, “Hourly bells and sculpted equines, cold and monumental. Seem for me the wrong companions, you were warm and gentle.”

Sunset then began to tear up as she turned to the statue once more and sang louder, “Too many years fighting back tears, why can't this curse just die!”

She then dropped to her knees in anguish, “Wishing you were somehow here again knowing I must say goodbye,” she then began to almost beseech the statue, “Try to forgive, teach me to live. Give me the strength to try!

Sunset then shuffled over to the statue in tears, “No more memories, no more silent tears
no more gazing across the wasted years! Help me say goodbye!

She then sniffled as she fell to her hands in defeat and pleaded to the relic in utter sadness, “Help me say goodbye…”

*

I felt tears beginning to form. Beneath Sunset’s usual demeanor, she was in pain. I ventured from my hiding place to comfort the sad girl, but I froze when I began to hear a haunting voice on the air that sounded melodic and exactly like the principal’s voice.

*

”Wandering pony so lost, so helpless. Yearning for my guidance.”

Sunset looked up in shock and curiosity as tears stained her face, “Teacher or villain, friend or foe. Who is that there staring?”

“Have you forgotten your teacher?”

Sunset slowly stood, “No, never.”

“To long you’ve wandered alone, far from my mentoring gaze.”

Sunset looked away in suspicion, “Wildly my mind beats against you-“

“You resist.”

Then both voice proclaimed, “YET YOUR/MY SOUL OBEYS!!”

*

I narrowed my eyes as I noticed a faint trace of crimson just out of view upon the statue. My eyes widened in horror as I rushed forward as the voice began to almost compel Sunset forward.

*

The voice spoke in an enticing manner, “Prodigal student, you denied me turning from your glory. Prodigal student do not shun me, come to your beloved teacher.”

Umbra then emerged from behind the horse atop the statue’s pedestal with his eyes a pair of icy blue rings on black sclera and spoke in his regular voice but with an almost hypnotic tone, “I am your beloved teacher, come to me my prodigal student.”

Sunset’s pupils vanished as a complacent expression appeared on her face which brought an evil grin to Umbra’s face, “I am your beloved teacher, come to me-“

*

I then threw an ice ball directly at Umbra’s face as I grabbed Sunset by the shoulder, “Sunset snap out of it!!”

She turned to me and a shocked expression appeared as her freaky eyes returned to normal, “Scribe?”

I turned her to reveal her “Teacher”, “Sunset whatever you hear, whatever you believe. This guy, this THING is not who you think he is!”

Sunset glared at Umbra who then fixed me with a glare that bore holes through me, “You insufferable brat! Why is it that you and those six girls have to interfere?!”

I stood in front of Sunset, “Because you’re not going to have her, she’s our friend. And like any good friends we will protect her from monsters like you!”

Umbra gave an animalistic growl, “Choose your next words wisely!”

I pointed at him, “Screw you and whatever horse you rode in on!”

Umbra leapt from the statue and before I could blink he delivered a kick that felt like a freight train into my gut and I dropped like a stone, “GUH!”

Umbra planted his heel on my chest with a cold glare, “I’m going to enjoy this.”

Sunset then yelled out in anger and with a pleading tone, “STOP!”

Umbra glanced at her, “Why?”

Sunset pleaded desperately to whatever Umbra might have that could be an emotion, “Not like this, please.”

Umbra glared at me one last time, “Fine.”

Umbra backed away as Sunset helped me to my feet and guided me away.

*

We rounded the corner back to the sports field and the girls were immediately upon us.

I spoke up as I regained my footing, “It was-“

A sharp whistle tore through the air as we turned to face an enraged Umbra, “One thing in life. One thing is all I want and yet you deny me still.”

Dash rushed him only for Umbra to grab her arm and flip her hard onto her back, “The kid gloves are off now. Now,” he cracked his neck, “I’m going to take what is mine.”

Twilight passed me her bag as the girls walked in front of Sunset, “Not while I’m still standing.”

Umbra uttered not a word and closed the distance before I could blink. He grabbed Twilight by her jacket and hurled her aside. Applejack went to punch him only for Umbra to catch her fist in mid-flight. He then sharply turned her around and booted her in the back and onto the ground. He merely glared at Fluttershy who fell over in fear. Pinkie on the other hand pulled out a red strap and tied it around her forehead. She then struck many fighting poses and ended on a crane style stance.

Pinkie then yelled, “YOU SHALL NOT PASS!”

Umbra just pointed at her and she was hurled into her snowman by an invisible force, “And dealt with.”

He then advanced on Sunset but I stepped in front, “Back off.”

Umbra glanced at Sunset then at me, “She saved you earlier due to me being generous. But now that is irrelevant, I think I’ll break you then take the girl.”

I pulled of my coat, “Bring it on.”

Umbra cracked his knuckles but paused; “Hold on,” he then booted Rarity in the stomach because she had been sneaking up from behind him as she collapsed, “Much better.”

I immediately rushed the bastard.

*

Sunset watched as Scribe went to punch the boy who merely caught his fist, “Impressive.”

He then kicked Scribe brutally in the chest and threw him to the ground, “Stay down.”

Scribe spat on the ground, “No.”

Umbra narrowed his eyes as he approached and booted him in the side causing Scribe to roll in pain, “Ever since day one i have been trying to be patient,” he kicked Scribe harder, “Trying to be a nice guy, but no!”

Scribe got to his feet and delivered some sweet chin music to the villain. Umbra stumbled as Scribe tackled him to the ground.

*

I stared into his eyes, “You’ll never win.”

Umbra’s eyes changed immediately taking me off guard, “Let’s test that.”

He then grabbed my neck and hoisted me off the ground, “I’m ending this now! The universe will be mine!”

I kicked him square in the gut and he dropped me as I broke off a piece of an ice tree Pinkie made, “NOT TODAY!”

I then broke it right on his face as he fell onto his back. I stood up and coughed in pain as I collected my coat.

Umbra went to stand but stopped when he noticed that he was surrounded, “Fine. You win this day as well. But mark my words and mark them well, Sunset and the element will be mine, very soon.”

Umbra transformed and spread his wings, “Until then, enjoy tomorrow’s dance.”

Umbra then took to the air. We then all collected each other and limped off from the sports field after retrieving Pinkie. We were battered and beaten but not deterred we had to be extra careful now, Umbra was not afraid to attack us in broad day light now. We all agreed that at the Masquerade we would stick together and Spike would keep a firm eye on the Element of Magic.