• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,378 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,378

Chapter 11- Come Together

I and Twilight were currently seated in the living room of Dash’s house and the other girls were pretty much grilling both of us with annoyed and slightly hurt expressions. For once I remained silent and pretty much let Twilight do the talking.

Twilight inhaled calmly, “Okay for starters I am deeply sorry for not telling you the entire story as to why I’m here. And secondly, yes Scribe is not from here.”

I glanced at her in surprise as Rainbow stood up, “So he’s like you then?”

Twilight gulped, “Yes, he’s from where me and Sunset hail from. There IS a city known as Vanhoover back in my world and he was a writer that my mentor sent to assist me in the task I was sent here for.”

The look she gave me told me to pretty much go with it, “Yeah, she’s right.”

Sunset narrowed her eyes, “And WHY exactly did Celestia send a writer with you?”

Twilight sighed, “He’s The Protector of The Magic Algorithm.”

Applejack was at a loss, “The magic what now?”

Twilight was going to explain only for Rarity to cut her off, “But what IS your real reason for being here and why is it you didn’t trust us enough to tell us?”

Twilight stood up, “Alright here’s how it is. Chrysalis is a changeling queen from my world who has stolen The Algorithm and brought it here in an effort to better decode it. MY Celestia has reason to believe she plans to invade this world and mine as well as others with her army.”

Rainbow leaned back in her seat, “Sounds sane to me.”

Pinkie Pie flexed her arms, “So what’s the game plan Twilight?”

Twilight waved her hands frantically, “That’s just it! It’s Scribe’s and my mission to retrieve The Algorithm. We didn’t tell you because we didn’t want you involved or at worst get hurt because of us.”

Applejack crossed the room and looked me straight in the eyes, “Is this true?”

I nodded, “Yeah.”

Applejack narrowed her eyes as if trying to find any holes in our story, “Alright then.”

Rainbow Dash stood up, “Well this is our world and we’re going to fight for it! Count me in!”

Applejack nodded, “Same here!”

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy stood as well and both said, “Us too!”

Sunset stood as well and looked at Twilight, “I understand how big a threat that the Algorithm poses if she translates it so I’m with you as well.”

I exhaled as I looked at Twilight, “They’re audacious I’ll give them that.”

Twilight smiled, “Yeah, but that’s what makes them the best friends I have.”

I shook my head, “So I assume you all know where Umbra’s allegiance most likely lays?”

The girls all nodded in unison as we began to discuss our next move.

*

Chrysalis was in distress as she paced in front of a bored looking Umbra, “No, this is not good.”

Umbra shook his head, “I really don’t see how this situation warrants a problem.”

Chrysalis rounded on the boy, “When you came to me with your proposition I agreed as long as certain factors did not enter the field. And now look at where we find ourselves! An Element of Harmony and it’s BEARER no less are here and if what you told me is true about how the element works here then this situation WARRANTS A PROBLEM!!!”

Umbra stood up, “Relax, I have the situation under control.”

Chrysalis threw her arms up as some shapes stirred in the darkness, “HOW!?”

Umbra sneered, “Now that would be telling.”

*

Umbra stood outside a shining school made of white marble shingled with red and checked his watch. A sign out front said, “Cloudsdale Secondary, Go Shadow Bolts!” Umbra paced impatiently as the bell rang; he then casually weaved through the crowds and entered the main building. Soon he approached two girls who had their backs to him.

Umbra then spoke up surprising them, “Hello ladies.”

One girl who was eye level to him approached. She wore a dark brown muscle shirt and had an athletic build. Her pants were a yellowish gold and with black stripes on either side. She also wore black sports shoes with white laces. Her skin was slightly brown and her hair was spiked forward and snow white, her eyes were predatory amber and they bore into Umbra’s.

The girl crossed her arms, “What do you want dweeb?”

Umbra chuckled lightly, “Well for one, my name is Umbra. Your Gilda correct?”

Gilda tilted her head, “Yeah so?”

Umbra smiled casually, “I have an offer for you and your friend there.”

Gilda snubbed him off, “Why should we listen to what you have to say, you reek of Wondercolt.”

Umbra placed a hand on his chest, “I assure you that I share as much hatred for them as your team does.”

Gilda raised an eyebrow, “Oh really?”

The other girl who was a foot shorter than Gilda approached, “What’s the problem?”

The girl in question had light opal skin and her eyes were a brilliant gamboge. Her hair was the same colour as her eyes with brilliant amber streaks in it and was wind swept back naturally. She wore a black T-shirt with a symbol depicting three gold stars being struck by white lightning. Over that she wore an aviator jacket that was a darker shade of her skin. Dark azure jeans and silver sneakers completed her ensemble.

Gilda looked sideward at her friend, “Nothing Lightning Dust. Just some Wondercolt scrub trying to sweet talk me.”

Lightning Dust smirked, “A Wondercolt showing his face in OUR school? I gotta say you’ve got guts.”

Umbra’s smile vanished, “I have more than that I assure you. Gilda your captain of all the sports teams here just-“

Gilda rolled her eyes, “Just like Rainbow Dash is at your school, yeah.”

Lightning Dust smiled cockily, “And I’m the star player.”

Umbra walked past them, “No doubt, surely two people of your caliber could trump Rainbow and her band of misfits.”

Gilda nodded at the ego stroke, “Darn right we could!”

Lightning Dust stepped forward, “Name the sport and place!”

Umbra turned his head slightly, “I was thinking blood sport.”

Gilda put her hands up, “Whoa dude, we don’t want trophies THAT badly.”

Umbra punched a locker in frustration, “Forget your petty trinkets! What I’m offering you is far more valuable and much more rewarding.”

Gilda stepped forward, “Oh yeah and what’s that?”

Umbra’s eyes flashed to his demonic ones as he snapped his fingers and produced a window depicting Gilda and Lightning Dust on thrones in royal looking battle armor with people bowing to them.

Gilda and Lightning Dust stepped back in shock as Umbra approached, “I can pull some strings with my benefactor to give you whatever you want. Money, power, your own kingdom, it can all be yours. I’ll even throw in the added bonus of taking your revenge upon Dash and her friends for all the years of humiliation by their school, all you have to do is hear me out.”

Gilda and Lightning Dust looked at each other for a second.

Gilda stepped forward and crossed her arms once more, “We’re listening.”