• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 4,442 Views, 934 Comments

HUMAN in Equestria: A Conversion Bureau Story - Chatoyance



The ruling class of Earth made a special deal when they allowed the Bureaus. Alone among all earthlings, they remain human, in Equestria.

  • ...
 934
 4,442

13. The Six New Mornings - Asher and Milo, Part Three

The Conversion Bureau

HUMAN

in Equestria
By Chatoyance

13. The Six New Mornings - Asher and Milo, Part Three

Lime Sherbet is used with the permission by the superb author Gabriel LaVedier, from the excellent Dames Of The Tea Table, which you should read because it is wonderful.
Special thanks to my spouse Aedina for her assistance with historically accurate Elizabethan speech.




The window at the end of the hall looked out over a nearly eighteen hundred foot drop to the roof of the massive castle keep. The tower was close to the edge, so that only a dozen feet separated the edge of the keep roof from the tower. The keep itself was over a thousand feet high, below this was the first tier of Canterlot city, another thousand feet, which led to two more tiers, and then the massive five thousand foot drop to the rolling plains below the impossibly steep Canterlot Mountain.

Under the physics of old earth, the whole of Canterlot, castle, city, mountain and all, would have been impossible. It would have collapsed because of everything from the inverse-square law to the angle of repose. Earthly atomic forces were insufficient to the task of holding such a megastructure together, the semicircular gardens would have crumbled from shearing forces even before they could have been completed during construction.

But this was not earth, and the physics that humanity had evolved under had no place in Equestria. Dweons took the place of atoms, planar attraction stood in for gravity, and the inverse square law had only been encountered the first time hooves stepped outside the bounds of the Equestrian cosmos. The air pressure was the same at the top of the impossibly vertical Canterlot Mountain as it was upon the flat, rolling land below. Above all, the sky truly was a dome, not crystal perhaps, but solid, and the sun and moon were vast and arcane disks upon it, the stars jewels of force set within the substance of it.

Celestia and Luna had sought whatever order they could find, as they spun and careened through the chaos in the ages after Discord. Only one thing in their universe remained still - the ruins of their simple castle. It seemed ancient, yet it might have been thrown forth from Discord's chaos newly created to appear old. The sisters had memories, broken, fragmented memories, of having lived in the castle, but even these might well be entirely false.

The ruins of the castle were stable and still, and the sisters - for that is how they thought of themselves - clung to it while all around changed and swirled in senseless horror. The castle was also a clue - it was a direction that pointed beyond chaos to something the sisters wanted more than anything. Order.

Tiny peepholes, no larger than an earthly proton, were Celestia's answer. The castle had pointed the way, and Celestia had followed that glimmer of hope, and each brief new glimpse left the sisters hungry for more. New concepts entered their minds - flat surfaces that did not change, flat surfaces called 'land'. Piles of land, 'mountains', and pools of stable, constant water in 'lakes' and 'oceans' and 'ponds'. An arching dome above of pale blue and deep black that seemed to turn somehow.

Over great time, they took what they could see of the other world, and interpreted it as best they could. In this way the chaos was divided into land and chaos above, and eventually the chaos itself plastered over with a dome made from the underside of the land, space easily wrapped and twisted upon itself, for that is what the sisters understood and knew.

Eventually, Celestia spied life. The solid thing ran on hooves and panted with breath. It possessed tail and ears and eyes. If the universe was made better by order, then existence could only be better by being solid and still as well. The sisters took permanent shape, and walked, for the first time, upon the flatness they had made. And then, in such overwhelming stillness, they cried, for they knew they were alone.

Life, was a pattern. It could be reproduced. And in time, smaller, simpler versions of the now pony sisters walked the rugged land and nibbled the sparse vegetation that Celestia developed from her visions of beyond. The smaller ponies had eyes, and ears, and tails and hooves, and those hooves pounded the land as they galloped.

Peridot Cabochon galloped now, her hooves pounding not land but marble, as she ran toward the window at the end of the hall. Her pony eyes were half blinded by tears, her pony heart blinded by anguish. Her colt despised her, and she despised herself.

When Sloane Cameron had first become Peridot, when she had been remedially ponified by the nocturnal princess Luna, she had taken her first steps in confusion. Raw emotions flooded her, emotions she had spent an entire human lifetime learning to repress and ignore. One did not get ahead within the Good Families by being sentimental. Feelings were the first casualty of the war for position and power in the real world, and they were a sacrifice Sloane had been more than willing to make.

But pony Sloane, Peridot, found herself in a new war, now that human power was forever lost to her. The war was within herself, and unlike the vast majority of newfoals, she did not welcome the overwhelming compassion and innocence that now dominated her new brain. She didn't understand it. She had never been allowed to experience it before, and its alienness terrified her. She resorted to her familiar tactics, and fought the strangeness as best she could.

It was a losing battle, and she lost ground every day. In the end, cold indifference gave way in heaving sobs to the realization of what she had thrown away as a human, and endless regret over it all.

Now, glad of her feelings, Peridot Cabochon was left with another problem - she had no idea how to express the tender and loving good within her.

On that first day after her ponification, Peridot had a terrifying night of realization. Her plans to spend her newly gained three-hundred birthdays began to crumble. It was her design to gradually take over the Equestrian court. She planned to start a new, pony version of the Good Families - with her at the top, of course. Even on that very first night, her goals had ceased having any value to her. She had fled the Human Masada after the 'guns and bacon' incident, driven by ambition and vengeance, but now this motivation was fading.

Now, on the other side of the species barrier, the former Sloane Cameron had suddenly found empire building unappealing, and vengeance undesirable. Neither served kindness, neither would increase happiness for all, or demonstrate empathy. Indeed, such drives were the opposite of everything that now filled her heart.

Peridot had rolled on her bed, unable to sleep, desperate to understand who she had become, and what mattered to this new creature that cared about others, and desired harmony above domination. One thing came back to her, over and over during her dark night - Milo. Her colt. Her one and only colt, her little foal, her beloved Milo.

The thought shocked her. Beloved. As a human, she had not permitted herself to feel love. Now it burned within her like a hot coal. To love anything or anyone amongst the perpetually struggling Good Families was to be weak - to be vulnerable to emotional extortion, or manipulation, or destruction.

Milo. She loved her colt. She always had, though she had never once shown it or admitted it. With that absolute certainty came an absolute shame - he must have felt so terribly rejected. As hard as she could try, Peridot was unable to remember a single time she had ever embraced her child. She wasn't sure if she had held him even once after he had been born.

She had passed the years, waiting for her injured Milo to be remade, to be fixed, to be transformed. It was what she lived for. She would be there, she would make it right. She would be the mother to her colt she always should have been. She fixed in her mind the moment - Milo would arise, as a newly made pony, and he would run to her, crying out her name.

Unless. Unless he rightfully resented her for the past. He might see through her, see that her love had only been revealed by her own selfish escape from the Masada, and not from any concern on her part. He might see that she hadn't been ponified for him, but for another cunning and destructive plot.

And that is precisely what had happened. Milo had not run to her. He had not cried out her name. He had looked upon her with the loathing she deserved. The loathing she had earned with years of neglect and emotional distance. Peridot's hooves slammed into the marble. The window was there, just ahead. She would crash through it, and crash out of her poor Milo's life. It was the only thing she could do now. She could end his disgust, end his grief, and leave him free to enjoy a new mother without any emotional connection to her. It would be the only decent thing she had ever done for her little foal...

Peridot leaped. She arced through the air, her powerful hind legs launching her at the middle of the great glass window. There would be a huge smash, and a long, long fall, and then Milo would be free of her. The cut would be clean, neat, tidy, and she would have paid for her faults with her very life. Everything tied up. Everything square.

The window fogged from her breath.

Outside, a constellation of pegasai flew past, chasing an enchanted ball. It was some aerial game. Milo was a pegasus now, perhaps one day he would laugh in delight, pursuing just such a ball.

The window wasn't getting any nearer. If anything, it seemed to be receding, faster and faster.

Peridot noticed that her vision was cloudy. Everything seemed bleached out by a silvern glow. As she curled her body in mid air, she noticed that her forelegs were coated in light. The window shrank further and further away, as the hallway rushed past her. She was being levitated backwards, against her will. She struggled, briefly, then relaxed. There was nothing to do. She was helpless, held suspended in space by a powerful telekinetic field.

Princess Luna carefully set Peridot Cabochon down on the marble floor. The green unicorn did not bother to rise, or to run again. She just stared at the floor, her hind legs sprawled out, her forelegs supporting her slumping body.

"We are confounded by the steel of thy desperate and undesirable resolve. There is no admiration within us, but lives there instead surprise that thou wast able to overcome all compassion for thine living body in thy mad rush to extinguish life's blazing flame." The princess did indeed seem surprised. Ponies never attempted suicide, and the Equestrian language lacked even a word for the concept.

"We can only surmise that some unfortunate selfishness hast remained despite thy most careful transformation. Mayhap we have overlooked some aspect of thy head meats and are ourselves at fault for thy action." Luna's expression turned from shock to sadness as her horn once again blazed forth with light, a silver glow echoed by a similar radiance encompassing Peridot's head. Finally, the princess ceased her work, and shook her mane.

"Peridot Cabochon, thou art lost on the river of thine owne emotion, and see not the rocks and falls as thee dost navigate thyself. We do command thee never again to wallow in such selfish escape, and to this end, we have signed our rule in writ made flesh."

The green unicorn looked up. She didn't feel any different, but neither did she doubt the princess.

Luna turned to Milo. "Newmade Colt, attend us well. We have cantered through thy mother's thought and soul, and in her heart there is naught but the greatest love for thee, howsoever faulty her expression of it. She would to embrace thee as all that was precious, and ne'er have thee distant be again. We pronounce this unto thee as unquestionable truth. Thy anger and grief is now void and without meaning, for thy mother sits thus, consumed only with fear that thee lovest her not in return."

The princess of the night lowered her head and stared into Milo's new pony eyes. She pressed her head closer still, and only Milo's pointed ear caught Luna's faint whisper. "She loves you. Go hug her. Now."

What neither Milo nor anypony else caught was the noctural diarch's personal aside. "Newfoals...!"

Milo stepped unsteadily to where his mother sprawled on the marble. Without any word, he sat his hindquarters down, and then carefully wrapped his forelegs around the grass-green unicorn. Peridot began to sob, and then to wail, as she threw herself, as best she could, at her child in return. The two, colt and mother, held each other tight, both heaving with tears of regret, relief, and joy.

Crimson, Morning and Plantain felt themselves overcome as well, and pressed together in pony comfort. For a time the hallway was sniffles and tears all around, at the shocking crisis that had been averted.

Only Luna noticed when the last flash of golden light signified that her sister had finished the transformation of Sergey Brin. As the ponies in the hall drew together in hugs and glad words, Swiftwind and the new stallion that was his father, emerged from the Waiting Room.

Sergey walked stiffly on his four new legs, occasionally supported by the presence of his son. "I can't believe it. I'm still me. I'm still me... I feel like me, only I'm a pony, and it's okay, it's alright. I think I'm me. I must be me. I'm still me!"

Swiftwind shook his head, but stayed close and caught his dad with his strong back whenever his wobbly father seemed to falter. His father truly loved him. His dad was there, and would always be there. But Swiftwind knew, that despite his father's relieved words, that Sergey Brin was not entirely the same. Never again would he beat his son, he would never again harm him, or hurt him, or knowingly break bone or skin. In this way, Sergey was forever changed, and it was a difference Swiftwind could only feel the greatest gratitude for.

Milo sniffed and wiped his nostrils on his foreleg, matting his coat. "Mom?"

Peridot, her forelegs wrapped tightly around her son, nuzzled him. She sniffed back her own tears. "Yes?"

"I don't understand. Was there something wrong with you? Did princess Luna fix it?" The little pegasus reveled in finally being held.

"There... there was something wrong with me, but it had nothing to do with the princess." Peridot briefly groomed her son's poll with her teeth, his mane was a mess. "When we were... when I was part of the Good Families, I cared more about them, than you. It was like... I guess I was broken, inside."

"But you're okay now?" Milo suddenly looked less like a colt, and more like a foal in the moment. Peridot, for the first time, could feel her child's insecurity, and comprehend what it meant.

"I think I finally am." She squeezed Milo tight. "From now on, the only 'good family' that matters to me, is us."

For all of his years, a moment like this was all Milo had ever truly wanted. Just to feel he was the least bit important to his mother. Just to feel loved at all. Now that it had come, it was almost more than he could bear, and Milo was forced to let out his emotion again. Finally his tears stopped. He clung for a while, eyes blurry, unwilling to let go because he feared the moment would end and never come again.

"It's all right, Milo. It'll be alright from now on." Peridot pulled away with difficulty, and stood up. "Come on, we need to get going. Everypony's leaving."

As Milo stood, he saw that the princesses had already gone, and that the head maid, Lime, was explaining something to Asher - 'Swiftwind' - and his father. Petra, Seraph... Crimson, Morning and Plantain were talking with each other, and it was clear that it had become time to go somewhere else.

"Mom?" Milo pressed his body into his mother as they walked, he felt like he couldn't get enough of finally being able to be close to her. He felt as if he had been hungry, starving, for years and years, and was being fed at last. "I'm gonna need a new name."

Peridot, struggling to not stumble, laughed. "What do you want to be called?"

Milo buried his head in his mother's barrel, forcing her to stop altogether. "Noooo. I want you to name me." Milo sniffled again. "Because you're my mom." He spoke the word 'mom' as if it were a sacrament.

The intensity of that weighed on Peridot. She was his whole world, and for the first time she realized that fact. Earth, Equestria - any world or cosmos - a child needed their mother. That was truly universal. "I'll need to think about it then. I want to pick a good one. Something you can be proud of."

Milo cried again, as they caught up with the others.





The moon blazed through the windows as Lime Sherbet finally got the growing troupe of newfoal guests settled. The three fillies, of course, wanted to share a room. They were the best of friends and naturally wanted to be together. Swiftwind and his father were given the room beside the three fillies. Across the hall, Lime placed Milo and his mother Peridot.

Crimson, Plantain and Morning Star wondered if they could have tea again, like last year. Lime sent Gelato off to bring a cart with tea and cakes for all of the newfoals. Thinking further, she had Gelato also bring some bowls of what was left of the Thai coconut hay and rosehips from dinner. Newfoals tended to be hungry after their transformations, and it was likely that Swiftwind, mister Brin and Milo would all enjoy something more substantial to eat.

That was one of the many things that had made Lime the head of the maid staff at Canterlot - anticipating needs before guests even realized they lacked something. It wasn't that difficult, Lime often thought. You just had to pay attention, and care for the happiness of others. What modest Lime didn't realize, was that she was truly exceptional at both.

When Gelato returned with the silver cart, Lime found she hadn't been wrong about the needs of the newly transformed guests.

"Oh...mnn.... this... this is fantastic. I couldn't even think of trying this a few hours ago but now... Mnn Mnf... thank you, by the way. Very thoughtful!" Sergey Brin was utterly lost now, awkwardly pushing his bowl of Thai-styled hay around the room, chasing it into a corner, gobbling the entire time like a hungry dog. The brown and white newly formed earthpony was lost in gustatory ecstasy, unthinkingly reenacting the first and oldest Bureau tradition - the First Meal As A Pony.

Swiftwind giggled at his father's unconsciously wagging tail. "I think he likes it."

"Here." Lime used her hornfield to set a bowl on the floor of the room and then floated a pitcher over to fill it with water. It was very clear that mister Brin had not yet learned how to use his new body. It was only kindness to make things easy for him. "He'll probably be thirsty after he finishes licking that bowl clean. Here's some nice water, easy to reach."

"Dad's kind of... he's not used to..." Swiftwind felt momentarily embarrassed by his father's clumsy, pet-like behavior.

"Stuff and nonsense. You have to stand, before you can trot." Lime smiled warmly at the blue colt. "I can't imagine how hard it must be to have to learn everything over again like a newborn foal. Be proud of your father. Help him. He's here for you, after all."

Lime had heard about all of the various intrigues and circumstances of these guests, of course. It was part of being the welcoming hooves of Canterlot Castle. Every guest had a story, and that story determined what they needed to feel comfortable and content. Lime liked nothing better than to know every guest of the princesses had just what they needed, right when they needed it.

Before she left, Lime made sure a second bowl of Thai hay and a large pitcher of water, and a second pitcher of melonade was set on the low table in the room. Sure enough, as she turned to leave, she spied Swiftwind stuffing his muzzle into the bowl, just as hungry as his father. The door closed, a bang and a rattle suggested that the little unicorn was likely chasing his own bowl across the floor just like his father, equally lost in the overwhelming savor of his new pony senses.

The three fillies barely noticed Lime when she entered to serve them tea and cakes. They were such good friends that it made Sherbet smile. The warm camaraderie reminded her of her own two closest compatriots, and their adventures together. Crimson, Plantain and Morning Star were heatedly discussing the events of the day, and plotting out likely futures for the two boys and their parents.

As Lime quietly closed the door, she heard Crimson Beauty - ever the proper one, that filly - call out. "Thank you kindly!"

Lime smiled at that. Crimson had turned out to be every bit as nice as her statue had seemed.

At Ms. Cabochon's room, Lime found Peridot with a hoof to her muzzle. Her little colt was sleeping, exhausted from too much emotion, and now filled with long desired contentment. The dark purple pegasus was curled up, his head using his mother's belly as a pillow, his back tucked into her flanks, pressed as tight and close as he could manage.

Lime was very quiet as she brought in another big bowl of leftover Thai hay and also some cakes and tea. Cabochon nodded and smiled at that. Being a unicorn, she could enjoy them without having to move and so disturb her child. Lime set down a pitcher of water and another of melonade as well, and then carefully left mother and sleeping colt to their intimate peace.

They would all leave tomorrow, but the troupe would be back again at least once more. Two statues remained in the Waiting Room, the years passing them by until the calendar permitted them a return to life. They were all like chrysalises, waiting to become butterflies.

Or perhaps pegasai, Lime thought, and giggled at the notion.

Plantain Acres crept carefully out of her bed, and moved quietly to the doorway. It had taken half the night, but finally her friends were asleep. Using her mouth, she slowly opened the door just enough to slip through. Once she was outside, she made sure the door was shut without a sound.

For six years Plantain had waited on her dreams. It was said that Luna walked in dreams, and within them could be met. As Celestia was the sun, bringing new dawns to the world, so Luna was the moon, attending night and the end of every day.

It was said that Luna guided the souls of the dead to whatever awaited them after.

Not for a moment had Plantain ceased missing her dearest lapine friend. Crème Bûnnée had been her closest companion, her teacher, her true friend, and in the end, her savior. Crème's absence gnawed at Plantain, chewing at her soul, breaking her heart. She tried to smile. She tried to be a good sister to Crimson, and a good friend to Morning Star, but... she always felt melancholy. She wasn't the same pony she once was, because her other half was gone.

This time, her hurt was greater than any fear. Luna was mysterious, and she spoke in ancient words. On Nightmare Night, she was terrifying - and thrilling. Few dared to bother her at any time. But Plantain Acres could bear no more. If the princess of dreams would not come to her in sleep, then she would go to the princess in the waking world.

Plantain stepped cautiously down the marble corridors. Though she strived for quietness, still her hooves made tiny clicks against the stone floor. Section after section, hall after hall, Plantain worked her way towards the part of the castle that Luna inhabited.

She had overheard that after raising the moon, the princess tended to retire to her quarters. Sometimes she could be found on a large balcony nearby, rearranging the stars. Occasionally, she was entirely absent, on some mysterious purpose of her own. Plantain hoped that luck would be with her upon this night, and that she would find the princess alone.

Luna's tower was across a large stone bridge which arched over an impossible drop to keeps and halls below. Plantain nervously ambled forward, darkness below and stars above. The moonlight made a fairy ribbon of the bridge and porcelain teeth of the other towers and spires. Halfway across the deserted bridge a breeze surprised Plantain by ruffling her mane. She looked around for the pegasus that must have caused it, but the night was lonely, and nothing flew in the sky.

Dark lanterns hung on both sides of the heavily embellished door. There were no guards, either, which struck Plantain as very strange. The royal guard was everywhere in the castle, standing proud in ancient armor. The lanterns were bright all through her trek until this point. Plantain felt the stone railing to make sure she wasn't dreaming. It felt solid.

The moonlight revealed the great tower doors were partially open. Images of Thestrals - bat winged ponies - flew through a carved, star-filled sky upon the door. A carved moon had been gilt with silver, and silver had been used to make the carved stars shine.

Beyond the massive doors, only darkness waited. Plantain stood, gathering her courage, before pressing on.

The darkness was profound. Plantain, only two or three hoofsteps in, found she could see nothing ahead. No window cast moonlight to guide her hoof falls, and no trail of light led from the tiny breach between the nearly shut doors. Plantain turned her head to look back over her flanks to see any light at all, and found no sign of the doorway whatsoever.

Carefully, the little earthpony turned her body entirely around, and blindly moved forward, sweeping her forehooves in an arc with each step. After her eighth or ninth hoofstep, she realized that she should have already met the other side of the barely open doors. Five more cautious, sweeping steps made her certain. There was no wall, and there was no longer any door.

Plantain sat down where she was, afraid and confused. She also felt guilty, for she had gone without permission into the private tower of the princess of the night. Plantain had no idea how to leave wherever she now was, or what she had gotten herself into.

In the absolute darkness, Plantain lightly tapped the floor with her hoof, in the thought that small, sharp echoes might indicate the size of the chamber, or even provide a clue to the presence of a wall. Plantain's hoof squished into sand instead of hard marble, and this alarmed her greatly.

All around her, as far as the poke or prod of her forehooves could tell, was sand. She was sitting on sand, the floor somehow absent or changed. The smell of water touched her sensitive nose, as her ears began to hear the sound of lapping waves.

Plantain's heart beat quickly now, for this was nothing ordinary in her experience, but was clearly some great and terrible magic at work. Possibilities raced through her mind. Could she have been teleported somehow, to some dungeon for her trespass? No... there was no smell of old stone or moss. The water smelled clean and fresh and pure. The sand was like that of a beach, not grit over dungeon stone.

Was it a dream, then, after all? The pain of her own bite just above her left pastern strongly argued that she must be awake. Plantain looked up, to see any hope of light or stars, but the same everpresent blackness confounded her vision in all directions.

Splish.

The sound was distant, but it was unmistakably wet.

Ploosh.

Plantain's pony ears rotated and locked onto the source of the sound, triangulating it. The sounds were ahead and to the left, and they were growing closer.

Splish. Sploosh. Splish. Splosh.

It sounded almost familiar. Like some object being dipped in water, over and over. Plantain's pony nose picked up the faint whiff of wet wood. Wet wood and... and an animal scent. An oh, so familiar animal scent. Tears began to roll down Plantain's cheeks. The scent was unmistakable. It was the scent of a bunny. A very special bunny, one that was part creature from the Everfree. Part Snow Bunny. Crème.

The mane that ran down her withers began to stand up, a tingle of fear and awe down her neck and back.

Splish. Ploosh. Splup.

The paddling had stopped, not more than eighteen hooves from where Plantain sat in darkness on some impossible shore. The smell of wooden boat and paddle blended with the almost overpowering familiar scent of her lost friend.

"Crème?" Plantain's voice quivered in the dark. "Is... is that you?"

Plish.

It was a small sound, not a paddle this time, but a paw. Plantain had heard it before, when her lapine other half had played with the water during many a bath. During play in the pond just beyond the plantation weather zone. That time in the vast crystal fountain in Leviathania when the show had performed for dragons.

"Crème... oh Crème!" Plantain was crying now, her fear almost replaced by grief and loss. "Do you need help? Are you in danger or trouble or..." Plantain wasn't sure what she was saying, because she had no idea what was exactly going on. All she knew was that the darkness was frightening, and this encounter was beyond her understanding.

Ploop, Ploop.

"Are you... okay?" Plantain leaned into the dark, ears focused on the exact source of the sounds.

Plish.

Why was there no light? Plantain yearned to see her friend. She could smell Crème clearly, precisely, that dear and beloved scent, strong and bright and so alive, right there, just a short space away.

Plantain began to rise to her hooves. If she could just touch Crème, if she could just get to her...

Ploop! Ploop! Ploosh! Plish! Ploop! Ploop! Plip!

The splashing was furious, desperate. Plantain froze, half standing, half sitting, her weight on her forelegs.

"Crème?" The splashing stopped. "Should I stay where I am?"

Plish.

Carefully, slowly, Plantain sat down fully once more. Just to be certain, she decided to confirm it. "I should stay here, right here, is that correct?"

Plish.

Plantain stared into the darkness, her useless eyes trained on the exact place that her ears and nose told her was where Crème sat in a tiny boat.

"Crème... Crème... you saved us, Crème. You nearly saved us all. We lost Hamton and Cutler and... some of the others... but they told the princesses where we are. They put a stop to the humans using pigs and chickens for meat. All the human children made it, and they are nearly all ponies now. Only Oliver and Isla are left, and they'll have their chance a few years from now. You saved... you saved me, Crème. You saved my life." Plantain let out a sob, she couldn't hold the tears back.

Plish.

Plantain wanted to jump up, to run to the smell of her bunny friend, but something inside her kept her still. Plantain felt no evil, no wrong from this, but she did feel a danger, as if she stood on the edge of a cliff, beyond which there was no returning.

"I miss you. I miss you so very much! I miss you every day, every single day. I miss you at breakfast, and I still look to see you there, but you aren't and... and..."

Ploosh, Plip, Plip, Plish!

Plantain wiped her eyes and nose with her foreleg. "I know. I know. I'm trying. I really am. Crimson - that's Petra, she's an earthpony now, just like me - Crimson is my sister now! Did you know that? I have a sister now!"

Plish.

"I can't... you can't come back with me, can you?

Plish.

"I don't like the idea of you being in this dark place, Crème! I don't understand this! I want to rescue you, I want to have you back, I want..."

New smells and sounds filled Plantain's nose, overwhelming her. They came like an assault, strong in the dark, with her attention so focused. The smell of berries and clover and warm summer grasses. Pies and cakes and... bunny laughter. Tiny squeaks and yeeps of joy and playfulness. The sort of sounds that Crème made when she was happy, only they were many and varied.

Plantain could hear bunny feet scampering and jumping and running about. And music, strange, otherworldly music, beautiful beyond anything she had ever heard before. It was a party, a celebration, and there were bunnies everywhere, more than her nose or ears could count.

And the hint of other smells, in the dark, farther away. Pig scents and chickens... and ponies.

"You're... you're alright, then."

Plish.

"Whatever is going on... it sounds like fun. Are you happy, Crème? It isn't bad? It's good?"

Plish.

For a while, relief streamed out of Plantain's eyes, down her cheeks onto the hard marble floor. Plantain set down the leg she was using to wipe her eyes with and a resounding 'clop' filled her ears. It echoed off of wall and ceiling.

Plantain looked around. Soft moonlight streamed through open windows, bathing the tower entrance chamber in silvery light. The marble tiles checkerboarded underneath the carpet that ran into the interior of the princess's tower. Low sofas and tables gleamed in the evening glow, and Plantain could make out the frames of ancient paintings on the walls around her.

Carefully, the little chestnut earthpony raised herself to her hooves and turned slowly around in the silence. The huge double doors were slightly open, just a crack, just enough for her to delicately, quietly exit.

In the light of the moon and stars, the stone bridge led away, back to the grand halls and keeps of the rest of the castle. Plantain took first one step, and then another, as she moved as quietly as she could away from the mysterious tower of the night princess.

When she reached the middle of the bridge, her left hoof pressed upon something that wasn't stone. Plantain looked down and slowly lifted her hoof.

There, in the center of the bridge, thousands of hooves above any garden or soil, was a single, white, Equestrian clover flower.

Plantain stared at it, laying there, on the stonework, flattened by her hoof. Plantain lowered her head to the stone, and the green, sweet smell filled her nostrils. Carefully, she picked the blossom up with her teeth, and raised her head. Reaching back, curving her long neck, she worked the flower into the pocket of her topcoat.

The mane on her withers rose again, as a tingle rippled down her neck and back. Plantain took one brief glance back toward the tower of the princess of the night, and saw the doors were tightly shut. The firefly lanterns blazed to each side of the doors.

Quickly, without heed to the sound of hooves, Plantain galloped back into the castle, and did not stop until she was behind the door to her room, and snuggled tightly into bed beside her grumbling, sleepy sister.