• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 4,446 Views, 934 Comments

HUMAN in Equestria: A Conversion Bureau Story - Chatoyance



The ruling class of Earth made a special deal when they allowed the Bureaus. Alone among all earthlings, they remain human, in Equestria.

  • ...
 934
 4,446

12. The Six New Mornings - Asher and Milo, Part Two

The Conversion Bureau

HUMAN

in Equestria
By Chatoyance

12. The Six New Mornings - Asher and Milo, Part Two

Special thanks to my spouse Aedina for her assistance with historically accurate Elizabethan speech.


The group had walked in silence down the long, curving corridor that circled one of the enormous minaret towers that rose high above the interwoven halls, wards, and keeps below. Canterlot castle was a vast structure built less as a defensive fortress than as a great and luxurious palace. It was of some note that the castle was larger than the city below it, and held more rooms than all the shops and houses surrounding the incredible, cliffside megastructure.

Once again, they had to wait for a short time to allow Sergey to rest. Canterlot had been built for ponies, but especially for the princesses, to whom distance was never an issue, and furlongs of corridor were as nothing. Occasionally, castle staff could be seen going about their duties - cleaning, arranging rooms for guests, changing decorations and artworks to keep things novel and interesting, and even altering the colors of walls and drapes for the benefit of future guests.

Before they moved on, Sergey watched with some interest a unicorn maintenance worker using the magic of his horn to alter some long, hanging decorative banners from purple to green. The unicorn concentrated as the new color spread through the fabric, rippling up from the bottom of the banner to its top, some sixty feet above him. Inside his head, Sergey mentally calculated the distance as around two hundred hooves. He had been carefully studying for this day.

At the threshold to the Waiting Room, the princesses stopped.

"Prithy move thee naught, and bide thee here, save that we do summon thee. Our work is dire and great is the risk to thee and thy companions should thou prove distraction unto us. Thou shouldst consider this chamber as a sanctum, let neither hoof nor curiosity lead thee to ruinous ingress. When our work be done, thou wilt be called forth, to greet and mingle as thou desireth." Luna nodded at her sister.

"Sergey Brin has been promised a moment to speak to his son, before he receives remedial ponification himself. He will be called first, and will enter alone if all goes well." Celestia gave Sergey a look, to which he nodded, and then the two royal sisters entered the chamber of statues.

Peridot stared through the entrance at her granite son, perpetually crawling in horror from a killing frost. She hung her head, eyes squeezed shut, soundlessly mouthing something. Crimson noted that Celestia looked briefly back, directly at Peridot, before turning once again to the statue of Asher.

When Peridot opened her eyes and raised her head, Crimson felt the desire to comfort the unicorn mare. "I feel quite certain that Milo will be overjoyed to see you here, Peridot. I truly do."

Peridot studied the little filly. "And what, pray tell, makes you think that? Did Milo speak to you of me?"

Crimson shook her head. "No. Milo was not very talkative during our journey at all. But I do know this much - though I had every reason to believe otherwise, when I first found myself alive and on my hooves, the first thing I did was to look around in the vain hope that my parents might be there to greet me. I think this to be the first wish of any foal, and I cannot think otherwise of your Milo." Peridot still seemed doubtful. "I am very, very happy with my new mother, but even so, I still find myself sometimes wishing to even be acknowledged by my original parents. I cannot believe Milo would be anything but grateful for your presence here."

The grass-green mare's eyes almost betrayed restrained sorrow before her deeply ingrained formality won. "You know nothing of me, or my colt, but I appreciate that you are attempting to speak from kindness." Peridot's silver-gray tail swished sharply, as if it were discharging emotion itself. "I can only hope that you... are right."

Within the Waiting Room, the diarchs of Equestria wrestled with primal thaumaturgical forces. Two statues had been converted from stone to perishing flesh, and then that flesh had been wreathed in dweomer as the princesses went into some kind of supernal trance.

As the five spectators peered through the open doorway, the horrifically injured bodies of Asher Brin and Milo Cameron were suspended in the air, while ribbons and tendrils of brightly glowing magic dissolved away dead flesh and dying bone. Both boys hung in the air, Milo sans legs and fingers and much of his face, Asher missing much more than that. Both pony and human could not long gaze at this, for the sight of exposed nerve and muscle was disturbing in the extreme.

This was the moment of truth for Milo and Asher. Even now, Crimson and Morning realized, the princesses would be communing with the two boys, deep inside their minds, asking them the single question that would determine whether they would live as magical ponies, or perish as unalloyed examples of mortal humanity.





Asher Brin was walking.

His backpack was very heavy, filled with water and nanopacks of self-reconstituting food. He also had a medical kit, a self-constructing shelter, spare clothing, a holopad, his personal netlink, and a spare netlink (just in case), a portable heater, his climbing boots and belay gloves, rope, carabiners and pitons, quickdraws and hammer and bolts.

In the very bottom of the pack, where his uncle could never see, was Lilly the Leopard. Lilly was his only true friend. Lilly cared. Lilly understood. Lilly was love.

Once, all of Antarctica was covered in ice. The bare, cool landscape was devoid of plant or animal, but it was free of ice now. It was the last place on the earth where cold breezes still blew, and untainted soil could still be found. The domes were miles behind now, as Asher left boot prints on endless rocky and bare ground that no human had ever trod before.

"Equestria looked just like this, once, you know. Jagged rock and sterile gravel. The sky wasn't blue yet, it was churning chaos. Luna and I hadn't figured out what to do about the sky yet."

Asher froze in shock and confusion. The princess of the sun was hiking beside him! That was impossible, she couldn't be here until Equestria arrived, and that wouldn't happen for another year...

"W-What... how... what's going on?" Asher looked around at the barren landscape, the rugged, jutting mountains of solid, bare rock, and the endless miles of gravel and stone. He slapped at his jacket and his legs, feeling the blows from his own hands. He touched his face. It wasn't a dream. It couldn't be a dream, could it? It seemed so real.

Finally, Asher's gaze focused on the princess alone. "You left." The words were quiet, but behind them was a vast reservoir of penned up anger and betrayal. "You just... left."

Infinite compassion, and deep sorrow met Asher's eyes. "I had no choice. I was bound by the terms of the Covenant, I..."

"To hell with the Covenant! I'm only a kid! I needed you! You were the only good thing... the only... good..." Asher was on his knees in the gravel, his hands clawing at the stones. His back heaved with his sobs. "You left... you just up and... just like that... after all that..."

Asher clung to the nuzzling head. He wrapped his hands around the great, graceful, milk-white neck and soaked silken hair with anguished tears. "It was so hard, oh Celestia, it was so hard... you just left and... dad... and all the family stuff... and Lilly. Oh, poor Lilly..."

The memory of his father tearing his stuffed toy leopard into shreds brought on wracking tears. "I... hated you. I hated you so much..."

"I know." Celestia lay carefully down on the endless, barren gravel and held the boy in her forelegs.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..." Asher clung to the princess as if he would never let go. "You left. I know you explained, I know why... you didn't want to, I know... but... you left."

"Would you like to be a pony? Would you like to be a colt and run free through tender grasses? Feel the wind through your mane and ears as you gallop over acres of green? Do you still want to be my little pony, Asher Brin?"

"Call me Swiftwind, please? Like before? Like when we talked late at night?" Asher and the ghostly princess could only speak true late at night, behind his door, when his father was far, and sound would not carry. For months, Asher had been little 'Swiftwind', imagining himself as a colt in Equestria, a unicorn that could chase the very breeze, and who played with little animal friends by a pond surrounded by flowers. Night after night, the shared storytelling gave the child the only genuine joy he had ever known.

And then the Covenant had finally been signed, and Celestia had been forced by human commandment to go away and never contact any child of the Good Families again.

"I never forgot about you, Swiftwind. But I am bound by the agreements I make. I would not be worthy of having Equestria in my care if I could not be trusted to keep my word. That is the only reason I left you. I was forced against my will, by what was necessary to save the humans of the earth." Celestia was warm against Swiftwind's cheek.

He wrapped his forelegs around hers and sighed. She was back. She had come back for him.

Swiftwind raised his head. He found himself laying on the floor of a great marble chamber. Above him, a dome with an inlaid design of sun and moon gleamed in the light. Celestia towered above his new, pony body, as the last rippling glow of the princess's magic was withdrawn from his reborn flesh.

He stared at his new hooves, dark blue, his favorite color. By his shadow, he could see he was a unicorn. He truly was Swiftwind now, just as he had wished for, just as he had imagined out loud to Celestia, every night, for four of the six months she had been with him. His favorite bedtime story had come true.

"Try to stand, Swiftwind. Do not fear, I will support you." Golden light covered his barrel, and Swiftwind felt a solid grasp that he knew would never let him fall. As he clumsily rose to his hooves, he noticed princess Luna streaming silver magic to a mass suspended in the air.

"Celestia?" Swiftwind stood, his legs only a little shaky. "Who... is that?"






Milo heard his footsteps echoing down the long hallway. The Conciergerie had been taken over and partially rebuilt. What was left of it was now surrounded by plascrete walls fifty feet high, patrolled constantly by Blackmesh guards. His mother was using the ruin for her purposes, which left him to explore the forbidden parts to alleviate his boredom.

La Conciergerie had once been part of a palace, or a prison - Milo didn't really care which - and this made it somewhat interesting. It wasn't Antarctica, though. Paris was hot, like most of the world was hot, and smoggy, and dirty and awful. Milo was upset, as usual. He missed his total immersion tank, he missed the excitement of exploring the hypernet, of all the virtual worlds and all of his virtual friends.

Instead, he had to put up with the peasant brats that belonged to the Blackmesh families. He couldn't stand the little creeps. They didn't know anything interesting, the most that any of them understood about the hypernet was that it could be watched from a public kiosk, not a single one of them had ever gone truly virtual. Worse, they played with their hands and feet, roughhousing like brutes. One had even struck him, once. It made Milo want to kill them. They should be killed. The lot of them.

Mother handled the scientific and research concerns of the Good Families. It had its benefits - this was why Milo enjoyed the fanciest and most up-to-date hypernet tank in existence. Mother needed it, and he got to use it when she didn't need it. Life had been good in Antarctica. But then the bubble showed up.

Apparently it was some kind of dimension thing, out in the Pacific Ocean. The head of the Families wanted it properly destroyed, and for the last few weeks that had meant having to deal with the endless filthy ruins of this old castle-prison place, while mother worked out whatever it was she had to work out. Apparently they had moved all sorts of science stuff here, when things got bad.

Milo also missed his books. He had real books, made of paper and everything, back in Antarctica. Stories of adventure and magical worlds, science fiction tales and cartoon books too. Books were wonderful. Milo loved the smell of them, and the fact they were rare. He wished they had been new, of course, but even if they were old, they were still beautiful. And they were his. He owned them, and they were solid and real.

That was the one problem with diving into the hypernet. The worlds were incredible, and they could be seen, and heard, and felt, but it was impossible to bring anything back. Printing out virtual objects always disappointed him. The finished wand or gun or magical orb felt real, and it glowed or flashed or made noises as if it were real, but it was always just a toy. Inside the hypernet, Milo could ride dragons and cast spells and fly starships, but in the real world, no matter how hard he tried, the objects he printed out never did what they could do in the virtual world.

Milo kicked at a chunk of stone. Half of the face of a cherub adorned the broken bit of masonry. This part of the Conciergerie was off limits, because it was unstable. At least he could be alone here. He hoped the bubble in the sea would get destroyed soon, because then his mother would go back to Antarctica, and he could finally go adventuring again. He could have magic and lasers and strange, alien worlds to explore once more.

The real world was so boring.

Milo followed the hallway, threading between fallen columns and broken glass. At the end of the huge, ancient corridor was an arched doorway. The look of it interested Milo, because it reminded him of the entrance to the Mumorpagun Citadel Of Ahr-Peyjee on his favorite shard. It was a good place to grind levels and it was partially randomized, so that it didn't get entirely boring. The best part was the chance that the chamber of the Golden Lute would show up. That only had a one in fifty chance of appearing, supposedly. Milo had encountered it twice.

The only treasure behind these broken doors would be more rubble, but the Conciergerie kind of looked like something cool from his games, so at least it was sort of fun to pretend. Sort of. At least there weren't any other kids here. Milo decided to check for traps, just as if he were on the 'net. Nothing. Carefully, he clambered around and over the broken edges of the heavy door, and entered the round room beyond it.

The chamber had a domed roof, with a strangely familiar design on it. A moon and a sun. Milo followed a marble pillar down, past the tall, arched windows. In the eerie light, he found a statue on a stone platform. It appeared to be a carving of a boy, dragging his legs as if they were hurt and wouldn't work. The look on the stone face was one of fear.

The face looked familiar.

"Goodly creature, thy princess hath arrived."

The voice was not immediately familiar. As Milo whirled around, the source became clear - the diarch of the night, princess Luna, stood before him. Milo had never met the princess of star and moon before, he had only ever seen her image. The reality was strange - in one sense, Luna was overwhelming, her power and presence filled the chamber, yet in another sense, the dark princess seemed oddly vulnerable and insecure. There was no question she was younger - whatever that truly meant to such immortal creatures - than her sister Celestia.

She stood tall, her head far above his, but not as tall as her elder sister. Her empyrean mane and tail waved in that esoteric breeze that only alicorns could feel, and it seemed as if it were made of the night sky itself. Milo felt that if he but stepped forward too far, he would fall into interstellar void, only to be lost forever amongst distant and alien stars.

This wasn't right. It was Celestia who had appeared first, ghostlike, to live with him for six full months. They had become the closest of companions, and he had shared his deepest hopes and fears with the solar regent. She had been his everpresent companion, closer to him by far than his own, emotionally distant mother. In some ways, Celestia had been the only mother he had ever truly known.

But all of that - the appearance of instances of Celestia to the children and adults of the Good Families - that hadn't happened yet. Not in Paris. That happened later, after the attack on the bubble in the sea, after the Three Days War. None of those events had happened yet... Milo felt confused, as if he somehow knew the future as if it had already happened. He took a step back, staring at the starlit princess, unsure of what was real and what was not.

"Art thou in distress? Dost thou require succor?"

The memories began flooding back. Six months of spectral Celestia, promises of being a pony in a magical land, Celestia being forced to leave. The huge fight with his mother, and how she didn't care one bit. The Masada. Running away.

The forest. Oh... the forest.

Milo fell back against the stone base behind him, only to stand up again and turn about. He knew instantly who the statue looked like now. It looked like himself.

Milo turned again, and faced the princess of the night. "I'm dead, aren't I?"

Luna slowly shook her head, her ethereal mane twinkling with stars as she did so. "Nay, little human colt, but thou doth hang as by a thread betwixt light and darkness, thy very essence embrangled within gravest peril."

Milo tried to take this in, but he was frightened and the princesses' archaic words seemed to jumble in his mind. "What?"

The dusky jewel of Equestrian night seemed briefly annoyed. She stamped a hoof. Then she sighed. "You're pretty messed up. There isn't any way to save you without breaking that stupid Covenant your parents forced Celestia into. The royal unicorns turned all of you to stone to preserve you until you were legally eighteen."

Milo swallowed and leaned against the stone base that held the statue of him.

"It's like this, Milo. You're gonna croak unless you get turned into a pony. Are you still alright with that? Celestia told me you really wanted to be a pony, but I'm forced to ask. The Covenant again." Unearthly blue-green eyes looked at Milo with both amusement and resignation.

"Of course I want to... why do you talk like that? If you can talk normally, I mean?" Milo had always been curious about bizarre or unusual things, and having the princess of the moon chatting like any ordinary pony in the middle of... whatever this was... felt utterly unhinged.

Luna tilted her head down, and looked up at him through her lashes. A faint grin could be seen on her midnight muzzle. "Our familiar age be long ago lost to us, and in mischievous rebellion against cruel time, we keep our tongue of centuries past as keepsake to comfort us from our pitiable loss."

Milo tried, he truly did, but the situation was so overwhelming that he once again was forced to ask "What? Sorry. It's just that... sorry."

Luna's grin faded. "I miss the old days, and all of my old friends. They're all gone now. Speaking like we used to back then makes me feel less sad about missing them."

"Yeah. I can see that. I'm sorry you had to stop doing it for me." Milo remembered having heard that the younger princess had been lost or absent for a long time. No wonder she seemed sort of sad.

"So, Milo..." The supreme diarch of the night took on a serious expression. "Do you wish to be a pony?"

"Can I be a pegasus? You know, like Daring Do?" The adventurous fantasy books had been among the first Equestrian works to be translated and made available to the population of the dying earth. Milo had loved them and it was the character of Daring Do that had made Equestria seem even better than playing on the hypernet. In Equestria, magical items truly were... magical.

"If I make you a pegasus, will you choose to become a pony and live?" Luna waited.

"Yes! Please turn me into a pegasus!" Milo became excited. He would be able to learn to fly. He could go adventuring for real. The shape of his future began to form in his mind, and it was fantastic.

"HUZZAH!" Luna yelled, grateful that the little human colt had not refused the gift of life. "Um... that means..."

Milo grinned. "I know 'Huzzah', princess. See? HUZZAH!"

Luna met Milo's grin with one of her own. "THE HUZZAH HAST BEEN DOUBLED!"





Swiftwind watched as the shape of a dark purple pegasus with a black mane was gently floated down to the marble floor. It was Milo, Celestia had explained. Silvery light removed itself from Milo's pony body. The pegasus colt opened emerald eyes, which gradually began to focus and explore the room. Soon, they fixed on Swiftwind.

"Milo? We're ponies now! We made it!"

Tears began to form in the pegasus colt's eyes. "Asher?"

The deep blue unicorn's nod confirmed it. "I'm sorry, there was nothing I could do. It all happened so fast, it was everything I could do just to... I'm sorry..."

"It's okay, Milo. Sheesh. I don't even know what happened. Last thing I remember was Seraphina breathing into my face. I was kinda out of it. Her breath stank."

The purple pegasus laughed at this. "Yeah, she jumped on you. It was weird." Milo raised his long neck and looked around. "Sera? Seraphina?"

"Your friend awaits you, outside that door." Milo became aware that princess Celestia was present as well. "You may go to her when you can stand." Celestia turned her attention to her sister. "You have done very well, dear Luna, as I knew you would. Could you please help your new pony to try his first steps and guide him outside? There is work yet to be done, and Swiftwind must remain here for now."

Luna nodded. "Our sister doth have other business upon which she must attend. Come thee apace, that joyful reunion with thy beloved companions may be obtained. Be not afeared to stand upon thy new legs, for we shall be thy brace."

The next few minutes had Milo trying out his unsteady new legs, and flapping his even more awkward new wings until at last, with Luna's patient help, he was finally able to exit the Waiting Room. Swiftwind watched his friend while practicing his own gait, walking around the pedestal that had once supported his lithified form. Occasionally, his eyes locked onto the remaining display - Oliver and Isla, standing as if playing, save for the grim and terrified looks upon their frozen features.

When Milo and Luna had finally passed through the doorway to a chorus of joyful pony shouts and hoofclops and hugs beyond, Swiftwind wanted to go too, but Celestia held him back.

"You will meet your friends soon, my little pony, but first there is a promise I must keep. There is some... one... who I have agreed to allow to speak with you. Nothing is expected of you, Swiftwind, save your patience in this matter." Celestia turned and walked toward the door. "Remain here, I shall return immediately."

Swiftwind carefully navigated himself to a window beside one of the massive columns that graced the marble room. Beyond the glass, his magenta eyes tried to encompass the sheer magnitude of the castle and city - and depths - below. The base of the gigantic tower he was inside vanished within massive structures, these, in turn, gave way to a multiply-tiered city. Beyond the semicircular balconies of the city, an improbably deep drop led to rolling flatlands, and in the far distance, impossibly steep mountains.

As the freshly ponified newfoal watched tiny ponies strolling miniature pathways far below, he was startled by a flash of gray and yellow. The air was filled with flying pegasai, and one had passed right beside the very window from which Swiftwind stared in astonishment.

"Swiftwind?" The dark blue unicorn colt regretfully dragged his vision from the wonders beyond the window, back to the solid marble of the circular chamber. Celestia had brought a bipedal entity into the room, a human man. Recognition hit just as she spoke again. "Your father wishes to say something to you."

Every muscle in Swiftwind's body became tight with fear and shock. The unicorn colt swallowed, carefully, backing up slightly.

Sergey Brin crouched down, so that his small human eyes could meet the enormous ones of his child. "Asher... um... Swiftwind." The name seemed difficult to say, but Sergey struggled on. "Son... I asked Celestia to allow me to remain human long enough to say something to you. She doesn't let humans out of the Masada now. We... we sort of made some mistakes. But that's not important." Sergey noticed the way Celestia was looking on. He resolved not to waste the moment on details about having broken the Covenant.

"Ash... Swift... wind... Swiftwind... I know I haven't been... I know I've been hard on you." Sergey got down on one knee, a hand on the cool marble floor. "Maybe... maybe I've been a right bastard, I guess. But I only did it to toughen you up, to make you a... man... so you could rise in the Families, have a chance at better, have a chance at the top." Brin couldn't meet his son's alien eyes, and for a while he stared at the floor while he spoke.

"Son, I'm going to be a pony soon, like you. Don't got a choice, really, now. Got a contract with Celestia and all, and she's a real stickler... what I'm trying to say is, I don't know if I'll still be me after that, or how much of me will be left - I don't know how much of you is in there either - but... but I've got to say this while I'm still walking on two legs, son. So you'll believe me. So you'll know it's me saying this, and not some... not whatever I become when the princess changes me.

"Asher... son... Swiftwind, whatever... just hear me. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I hit you. I'm sorry I hurt you. I hurt you a lot, I know I... I did a lot of things I know hurt you so much and... I can't take any of that back. I can't change the past, and I wish I could, but... I love you son. I truly do. Honestly. That's why I'm here. That's why I'm letting her change me into a pony. To be with you, son. I won't leave you to fend for yourself in this strange world. I know I haven't been the kindest father but... I won't abandon my only son. I... I love you, boy. I do. And I just needed you to hear that.

"I needed you to hear that... while I'm still me. While I'm still the old dad you remember... the dad you ran away from - and I don't blame you one bit. Not one bit. I... I'm sorry, and I love you, and... and that's that, I suppose." Sergey Brin, his eyes wet and red, stood up, slowly, and turned to the princess of the sun. "Go ahead. You better do me now. Before I turn chicken and bolt. I'm not good at agreements, you might have noticed."

Before Celestia could energize her horn, Swiftwind had collided with his human father. The two went down on the hard marble floor, and Sergey would have cracked his skull save for the sudden, brief, enfolding golden glow that had caught him, and set him gently down.

Human father and pony son embraced, clumsily, both in tears, their words unintelligible.

Any transformations would have to wait just a little while longer.





Milo Cameron finally caught his breath.

Seraphina - now a pegasus called 'Morning Star' - had tackled him, and behind her was Petra - 'Crimson Beauty', an earthpony, and Plantain too, the little performer whose bunny friend had defeated the Displacer Beast. Milo had been drenched in mares, and laughter, and gladness at the mere fact of his being alive. He had nearly drowned beneath this ocean of attention, and only now had he finally found his way to the surface.

One pony waited. A pale green unicorn stood apart, nervous and alone. Her eyes flitted to and away from the happy scene. Occasionally, she pawed the marble floor with a forehoof.

As Milo pulled away from his three traveling companions, friends now all, they followed his gaze and turned their own to the green mare that stood alone.

Milo studied the silver-maned unicorn. There was something familiar about her mannerisms. Something about the way she stood, the way she held herself, the way her eyes moved and her muzzle was fixed. "Who's she?" Milo looked at Crimson and then nodded at the green mare.

"Oh, Milo! That is your own dear mother!" Crimson's greatest hope had come true for little Milo. "She became a pony, just for you, Milo! She wanted to be with you, to be your mother! She wanted you so very much that she sought remedial ponification just to take care of you and make a home for you!" Crimson felt a tear in her eye. "Go to her, Milo, go to your mother! She's right there, waiting only for you!"

The purple pegasus colt carefully stood up on his newly created legs. The three fillies trembled at the thought of such a wonderful and touching reunion.

"Mother." Milo studied his mother-as-a-pony. The same rigid stance. The same distant look in her eyes - when she would look at him at all. Milo felt sadness slowly fill his heart. Ponification was supposed to improve humans, cause them to shed their harshness and enhance their love and compassion. But his mother was not running to hold him. She did not seem to have changed at all.

"Milo... I..." More than anything in all of her two lives, Peridot Cabochon wanted to run to her son, to embrace him, to hold him tight and tell him that nothing else in both universes mattered more than him. Just him. But she felt ashamed. He would know, he would see how she had changed, and hate her for not loving him before. Peridot couldn't bear that. It hurt too much. If only she could find the courage to try, if only she had any reason to believe he might want her, even a little bit, even just the tiniest bit...

Milo stood, waiting. The hug did not come. His mother had become a pony, but she wouldn't even look at him. She hated him. Because he was a pegasus, and not a unicorn like her, he reasoned. Nothing he ever did was good enough to win her affection. She never cared about anything to do with him. She kept him fed, she made sure he had stuff. But her work always came first, he had no illusions that he had only ever been just another box to check off of her life's itinerary.

For his entire human existence, Milo Cameron had truly wanted only one thing. He wanted his mother to love him. Or even just to like him. To show any approval at all, any emotion at all. He always had stuff. There was always material possessions. He lacked for nothing... but her. He had lost himself in books and games and finally Celestia... but what he really wanted was his mother, and she had no time or love to give.

She still stood there, staring at the floor. Milo saw a tear fall from her muzzle. He understood instantly what it meant. She was disappointed in him. Again. As always. He had just awakened from the most terrible horror of his life, and been transformed from a human boy into a pegasus colt. If any foal in any world ever needed their mother, it would surely be him, and she stood there, weeping, because he wasn't good enough!

"Why are you here then? Just go! Just LEAVE!" Milo shouted, his heart broken.

Peridot's eyes burst with tears, a flood let loose as she realized the worst had happened. Her colt, the one thing she truly cared about, wanted nothing to do with her. He had seen that she loved him now, and in the comparison had utterly rejected her for failing to love him when she had been human. She couldn't blame him. She wasn't worthy of such a son. He would be better off with some native Equestrian than the likes of her.

If only he knew how desperately she loved him. But that was done. The only thing she could do now, was to make way for his future happiness.

Peridot ran weeping down the hall, her precise gait turned to stumbling ruin, as she dashed as fast as her hooves could gallop, straight to the great glass window at the end, and the forty-five hundred hoof drop to the cobblestones below.