• ...
33
 106
 7,548

Acperience I

The Conversion Bureau

Change of Life

Part 5: Acperience I

Robert and Rainbow Dash strolled down one of the park’s many paths, glancing about and taking in the scenery. Ponies could be seen everywhere, some rested on blankets, others galloped about, obviously overjoyed that they had an open expanse in which they could run. Robert noticed that there weren’t any humans in sight.

“So, how was your lunch?” Robert asked.

“Hm? OH! Um, it was...awesome, yeah, awesome.”

Robert quirked an eyebrow. “You sure you’re alright?”

“Uh, psh, yeah. I’m always alright, duh” The pony shot back nervously.

“Right...”

The pegasus was obviously distracted, but Robert didn’t push the issue. His own mind was abuzz with his recent encounter with Twilight Sparkle and the revelations that he had been made aware of. He knew he had to tell Rainbow what he learned, but was at a loss as to how best to approach the topic.

As the pair crested a small hill, Robert caught a glimpse of red out of the corner of his eye.

“HEADS UP!”

However the warning came too late as the red blur streaked straight towards Robert’s head. His eyes snapped shut, bracing for the inevitable impact...but it never came. Opening his eyes, he was greeted with a relieving yet extremely comical sight. Rainbow was fluttering at eye level, a red Frisbee hanging out of her mouth. The pony cast a baleful glare in the direction from which the offending disk had been thrown. A navy blue colt with a silver mane and tail stood a few feet away, breathing heavily with a look of embarrassment on his face.

Taking a few more deep breaths, he flashed Robert a sheepish grin. “Sorry bro, my friend has a real sucky throw.”

“Yhhh wll, yw shld be mwr crf-” Rainbow spat the plastic disk to the ground. “Yeah well, you should be more careful dude.” she repeated with disdain. The colt shrunk a bit under her gaze.

“Yeah I know sorry again bro.” The colt mumbled apologetically.

“Hey no harm no foul man.” Robert said while stooping down to grab the disk. With a practiced flick, he sent it sailing over to the colt who caught it in his mouth.

“Thnnks bwo!” The colt called before turning tail and galloping back down the hill towards his friend.

“Seems like a nice kid.” Robert said thoughtfully.

“I guess. Bit of a featherbrain though.” The pegasus replied with a snort.

“Thanks by the way.” The human said with a smile.

Rainbow giggled. “Don’t worry about it. Nothings faster than me, ‘specially not some dumb Frisbee.”

Laughing, the two friends made their way further into the park.

“So, now that we’re here, what do you want to do?” asked the human as they continued walking.

“Um...hm...well...” The pony stopped and scratched her head. “I guess we could find that huuuge oak tree we like to sit under.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Robert replied with a grin.

The ‘huuuge’ oak tree was in fact one of the largest trees within the park. Standing almost one hundred feet tall, it had become their favorite hang-out when the weather started to become a bit more comfortable. Rainbow had found it during one of her fly-overs of the city, and practically begged Robert to go there with her to check it out. She often mentioned that despite how large it was, Equestria had bigger. Making their way through a copse of trees, they saw their destination in the distance; a gargantuan oak crowning a particularly large hill.

“There it is!” Rainbow cried with glee as she shot a few feet into the air. She stared at the tree for a few seconds before turning to Robert with a face full of mischief. “Race ya.” she challenged with a grin.

“Ah...I dunno Rainbow, you’ll beat me for sure.”

“Aw C’MON!” The pony whined. “You could at least try dude.”

“Ehh...” Robert looked around, and his eyes widened they caught glimpse of something else in the distance.

“Hey, why don’t you head on over. I just need to go grab something.”

“Wha-” Rainbow began but Robert had already begun to jog down a different path, toward the distant fence of the park.

“Psh. Fine.” Rainbow sighed dejectedly to no one. With a flap she sailed toward the tree.

------------------------------

Robert reached his destination slightly out of breath. Before him, on the sidewalk parallel to the park’s fence, sat a veritable relic of city life; the last of a dying breed: the rare and elusive hot dog stand.

His stomach roared in approval as he approached the cart. Licking his lips, he eyed the smorgasbord of processed meat and condiments. The cart’s proprietor, who had been ducking behind the cart as Robert approached it, stood up to meet his customer.

“Holy Shit! Alvaro!” Robert exclaimed in surprise.

“Well, if it isn’t Robert.” Alvaro greeted in his thick accent.

Alvaro Reyes. He ran one of the most successful hot dog stands around central park, and Robert had always been a frequent customer.

“I haven’t seen you in forever man! How are things?”

Alvaro flashed one of his trademark smiles, though Robert could tell it was shadowed by fatigue. “Well. Things are well.”

Robert glanced around. In the past this hot dog stand would be crowded with people, especially on such a nice day.

“Ai, so you’ve noticed.” The older man sighed. “Not much business for a hot dog peddler when the entire city’s goin’ vegetarian. Mierda, you’re the first customer I’ve had in almost three days now.”

Robert frowned. “Damn, sorry to hear man.”

“Ey, is’alright. Now what can I get ya?”

“The usual, hold the mustard, and light on the relish.”

As Alvaro went about preparing Robert’s order, he let out another long sigh. “Thinkin’ about just closin’ up for good ya know? Meat’s a dyin’ industry now. Soon its all gonna be bakeries and vegetarian markets.” He handed Robert his order.

“Have you tried veggie dogs?” Robert asked with a grin.

Alvaro let out a guffaw. “Yeah; didn’t go well at all. Something about the texture and taste still being like meat didn’t sit very well with the little horsies.”

Robert frowned. “Shit...I’d really hate to see you go man, your stand was always the best.”

“Muchas gracias mi amigo; that means a lot.” Alvaro leaned forward with his elbows on top of his cart, glancing around at the buildings, and the ponies that milled around them. “You wouldn’t believe the looks I get from them, like I am scum or sometheeng. Yo estoy muy cansado of all of it.”

“Hey, just try to ignore them man, we all have to make a living.”

“Si...but I don’t think I am going to make it here, not anymore.” Alavaro sighed, his smile all but gone. “Hate to say it, but you’re my last customer Robert, here in New York anyways.”

“You’re leaving?”

“Si. Me and a few primos will be making our way west. We’ll settle in each town that hasn’t been hit by the bureaus yet, and then when we reach the west coast, if there isn’t anyone else we can sell to, we’ll just go and get it over with, sabes?”

Robert looked down to the ground. Another one gone. He wondered how many would end up losing their livelihoods before this was finished. Then, a question came to mind.

“Just curious, how come you haven’t already? Underwent conversion I mean.”

Alvaro’s smile returned. “Most likely the same reason you haven’t yet Robert.”

With that, Alvaro folded a few of the flaps on his cart and collapsed the small canopy that hung over it. Taking this as a cue to leave Robert turned back toward the park.

“Take care of yourself Alvaro.” He called back toward the cart.

“Si, eres tu mi amigo! Nos vemos en otra vida!”

‘Another life huh?’ Robert thought to himself as he entered the park once more.

------------------------------

Rainbow sat in the shade of the large tree, looking out across the park. There were ponies everywhere; all of them engaged in some form of recreation or another. Some tossed balls and Frisbees around, others were flying kites, or at least trying to get them airborne in the sputtering breeze.

‘You have to talk to him Rainbow’

The pegasus groaned and rolled onto her back, staring up through the tree’s numerous branches and the sunlight that filtered through them. Why did this have to be so hard? She knew she had to just come out and ask him, that it would be better to just get it over with.

She closed her eyes, feeling the grass beneath her, hearing the rustling of the leaves in the tree. She could feel herself begin to doze off...

“Ahem.”

Her eyes snapped open. Robert was standing over her with a half-eaten hot dog in his hand and a grin on his face. The pegasus leapt to her hooves, her face red. “What took ya so long.”

“Sorry, was catching up with an acquaintance.” Robert replied as he sat. “Hope you don’t mind.” he said as he waved the hot dog. “I haven’t eaten anything all day.”

“No, its fine.” the pony replied as she sat back down. Her nose wrinkled as the smell of the meat reached her nostrils. “Blech. How do you humans eat that stuff?”

Robert grinned, pointing to his canines. “Theesh help.” He said through his teeth before wolfing down another bite. He then slowly extended the hot dog towards the pony, offering her a bite.

Rainbow made an exaggerated show of sticking her tongue out in her best impression of nausea. “Every time I smell that stuff I gag.”

“Yew don’t know what you’re mishing.” Robert said through the last mouthful of his meal.

His hot dog finished, Robert laid back on the grass. The shade of the oak helped to fend off the day’s oppressive sun, and he too soon felt drowsy. Stifling a yawn, he turned to the pegasus. “You’re being really quiet. Are you sure you’re alright?”

Rainbow, who had appeared lost in thought, perked up. “Yeah, I’m fine. Really.” She replied with a strained smile.

Robert sat back up. “I don’t believe you. You know you can talk to me about anything right? Did something happen at lunch?”

Rainbow didn’t answer immediately, instead she looked up at the cloudless sky. She had to say it, this needed to be done. “Actually Rob there’s...there’s something...”

Robert leaned in closer. “Yeah? What is it?”

“Something...something I want to...to...”

“What?”

“To...show you. Yeah! Show you! A new trick I’ve been working on!”

She groaned inwardly. Why did this have to be so hard!

Robert cocked an eyebrow. “You sure?”

“YEAH! See, It isn’t really down pat so I was a bit worried about showing you that’s all.” She replied with a nervous laugh.

Robert seemed unconvinced, but relented. “Alright then, whenever you’re ready.”
“ ‘kay! Trust me, this is gonna blow your socks off!” With that, she shot into the air. Once she was high enough, she released the sigh she had been holding in. Maybe being in the air would help to collect her thoughts.

------------------------------

Robert sat back, his eyes glued to the sky. He watched as the pegasus dipped, spun, and soared high above the hill where he sat. Rainbow’s tricks always fascinated Robert; the way she moved, how fast she was, the death-defying acts, it always blew him away. Watching her like this helped him to forget about the problems in his life; he could just lose himself in her hypnotic aerial performances. With every hairpin turn, every barrel roll, every dive; Robert’s mind drifted, and eventually his imagination placed him up there with her, flying, soaring...living.

Rainbow’s tricks had begun to draw a crowd; dozens of ponies sat at the base of the hill to get a better look at the performance. ‘Oohs’ and ‘Aahs’ could be heard as well as cheers as Rainbow continued to dazzle the crowd with her skill. Eventually, with a final flash (which Robert distinctly remembered was the ‘Buccaneer Blaze’), Rainbow floated back down to the hill. The crowd went nuts as she waved a hoof.

“Thank you, thank you; You are all too kind!” The pegasus yelled with a smirk.

With the show over, the crowd dispersed; returning to their previous activities. Rainbow turned back and trotted up to Robert. “So, whad’ja think?”

Robert grinned. “Awesome. As usual completely awesome...but...”

Rainbow’s bravado-filled smile faltered slightly. “...but?”

“Well, you said you had something new. Don’t get me wrong, it was amazing, but I’ve seen all that before.”

The pony scratched the back of her head. “Yeah...I, uh...really haven’t been able to work on anything new for a while...”

Robert tilted his head to the side. “Then why did you lie?”

The pegasus swallowed hard, and trotted up next to the human and sat. Taking a few deep breaths she looked at Robert, her face filled with resolve.

“Do you enjoy watching me fly Rob?”

The human blinked, and smiled. “Always. You know that.”

The pony nodded slowly. “Have you ever wanted to fly?”

Robert let out a long sigh, and looked back up into the sky. “I think every human dreams of that. Just the absolute freedom of it, no longer being chained by gravity, just flying among the clouds.” He smiled.
“It is probably one of the greatest fantasies of humans everywhere...myself included.”

The pony nodded slowly again. “Have you...ever wanted to fly with me?”

Robert slowly turned back to the pegasus. “...I...suppose I have...yeah...why are you asking me these things Dash?”

Rainbow closed her eyes. It was now or never. “Rob...why won’t you undergo conversion?”

Wham. The question slammed right into Robert’s chest with the force of a bullet.

“W-why are you asking-”

“Tell me.” Rainbow pleaded, now standing. Her magenta eyes filled with emotion. “Please tell me why.”

Robert ran a hand down his face. “I don’t really want to talk about-”

“TELL ME!” Rainbow screamed as she stamped a hoof.

Robert gazed at the pegasus for a long moment before slowly shaking his head. “I don’t know.”

“That’s not an answer-”

“WELL ITS ALL I’VE GOT ALRIGHT!?” he yelled, standing. “I-I don’t know why Dash! I really don’t! Every time I think about it I just...” He shook his head violently. “I just can’t.”

Rainbow stamped her hoof again in exasperation. “Rob...when I was with Rarity she...she told me something, something about you. I know you’ve been feeling sick Rob, I know about your dreams...Robert you’re-”

“Dying.”

The pegasus froze in shock. “W-what?...You...you knew?”

“When I left you and Rarity, I went to the HCPS library down on Madison. Twilight Sparkle was there. We started talking...then we saw an emergency broadcast on the TV about the weather...and she told me everything.” He brought a hand to his forehead. “Despite everything she told me...I...” He rubbed his eyes. “I can’t...conversion...evacuating...I just can’t.”

Rainbow stood there, her face a mixture of shock...and growing anger. “You can’t? You can’t?! Robert you are going to die. Die! Don’t you even care?! About yourself?! About me?!”

The human snorted. “I don’t really see where you factor into this.”

What? That...that’s not what-

Rainbow shrunk back, a look of hurt on her face. “The hay do you mean I don’t factor into this?!”

Robert turned toward the pony, his face a mask of indifference. “Twilight didn’t just tell me about my condition. She told me that you were going to be leaving, to return to Equestria in a week and a half. Now, tell me, you ask if I care about you, but if you really cared about me why wouldn’t you tell me about that?”

No...No! What is happening?! I-

The pegasus stood there, wide eyed and mouth agape. “Oh...Oh Celestia Rob...I-I-”

“Forgot? Psh. I’m sure you did. I guess it just wasn’t important to tell me right?” Robert’s face was beginning to twist into the hateful visage from the night that they met.

“No! Robert I-”

“Now that all you’re friends are coming back, I guess it must be weird for you to be hanging out with a human right? Better I just go ahead and get converted so it doesn’t ruin your image.”

“NO! Robert that’s not it at all!” Rainbow cried, looking like she was on the verge of tears.

Stop it. Stop it! For God’s sake why is this happening?!

“Save it. You don’t care. You never did. I was just something to keep you amused until your real friends came to sweep you back to your fairy tale of a home.” Robert spat.

STOP IT! MAKE IT STOP! WHY AM I SAYING THESE THINGS?!

“ARE YOU AN IDIOT?!” Rainbow screamed. She was trembling now, trying her hardest not to break down right there. “I don’t want you to die! I...I want you to stay with me Rob!”

It was out. The weight of that last statement hung heavily in the air around the pair on the hill. Rainbow continued to gaze at Robert, almost pleadingly, waiting for his response. Robert peered back into the eyes of the pony, but gone was the warmth in his eyes, gone was the mirth, the kindness; in their place only a fathomless emptiness. Robert turned on his heel and began to walk down the hill. When he reached the base, he glanced back at Rainbow.

“Go home Dash.” he commanded flatly, and with that, he began to make his way across the park, leaving the hurt pegasus standing there in the shade of the oak tree.

------------------------------

Twilight sparkle trotted down Madison avenue, her saddlebags filled to the brim with books, her thoughts still filled with the encounter she had just had. She hoped Robert would reconsider conversion, for both his and Rainbow’s sakes.

So lost was she in her thoughts that, as she turned onto another street, she didn’t even see the pony right in front of her.

-WHAM-

“Ugh...I’m so sorry I-” Twilight gasped when she saw who it was she bumped into. “Rarity!”

Shaking the stars from her vision, the alabaster pony stood shakily to her hooves. “Twilight! I’ve been looking for you!”

“Really? What is it?”

“Apparently we received a correspondence for you at the Bureau, from the Princess!”

Twilight’s eyes widened in shock. “Then there’s no time to lose! Take my hoof, I’ll teleport us there right now.”

Rarity lifted a hoof, but stopped.

“What? What is it?”

“There’s something else. I spoke to Rainbow Dash earlier, at lunch. I told her about Robert.”

“R-Really?! That’s crazy, I just met Robert at the library! I told him about his condition!”

Rarity gasped. “T-they said they were going to the park, Rainbow Dash promised to talk to him about it...”

Twilight swallowed nervously. “Do...do you think she managed to change his mind?”

At that moment, a prismatic streak exploded into the sky from behind a nearby building. It soared over the pair, and for a single second, Twilight and Rarity could see the look of anguish on the pegasus’ face before she rocketed out of sight toward Brooklyn.

“Something tells me...no.”

------------------------------

Why?

Why?!

Why did it turn out like this?

Rainbow Dash streaked through the corridors of skyscrapers, her vision blurred with tears. Nothing had gone right, but she should have seen this coming. She should have approached it more gently, instead of barreling headlong into it just like everything else.

Soon, the large thirty story building that was her destination came into view. Shooting straight up; she made a beeline for a window on the top floor. Nosing it open; she glided through the window into her room. Wonderbolts posters adorned every wall, pictures of her friends sat on her nightstand.

Sullenly, she trotted to her bed and laid down. She just wanted to disappear, everything to disappear. Glancing at the nightstand, she reached for a particularly large photo. Taking it in her hooves, she gazed at it as her vision began to blur once again. It was a photo of her and Robert standing in front of the statue of liberty. Robert had one arm around the pegasus, who had struck a pose the moment the picture had been snapped. They were both smiling.

The picture shook violently in her hooves before falling with a dull thud to the floor. There, in the darkness of her room, Rainbow Dash did something she hadn’t allowed herself since she was a filly.

She cried.

------------------------------

It was late in the afternoon now; the sun had begun its slow descent into the west, illuminating the sky and city with vibrant pinks and golds. It was a beautiful sunset that was reflected upon the waters of the Hudson. Ponies and humans alike all across the city sat in admiration of it. Some with loved ones, others by themselves. Truly, such a magnificent sunset hadn’t been seen by the denizens of New York City in many years. But the beauty of that sky; its color, its radiance...none of them reached the eyes of one human who was slowly making his way toward his apartment.

To him...the world was gray. Everything lacked color, life, meaning...

Why?

Why?!

Why did he say those things? He hadn’t meant any of it, the words had never even crossed his mind, yet his mouth had said them. He didn’t even agree with anything he had said, he never once thought that Rainbow Dash didn’t care.

So why was he walking back to his apartment, alone, in a world so gray?

He reached the door to his building just as the sun had finally dipped below the horizon. Entering the lobby; he saw a few ponies going about their business. A few of them acknowledged him with a smile, or a wave, or a ‘Hello’...but he didn’t even respond. He pushed the call button for his elevator, rubbing his eyes. The pain in his head was coming back, as was the ringing in his ears. He just wanted to get back to his apartment.

The elevator reached the ground floor, and as the doors opened, he thanked the powers that be that it was empty. Slowly, the elevator made its inexorable climb to his floor. He leaned against the wall, his head in his hands. Why had he even gone to meet with Rainbow at the park? It had been urgent...he wanted to talk to her to see if he was still sane...

After what had happened, it was painfully obvious that he wasn’t, not anymore.

The elevator reached his floor as the throbbing in his head elevated into rolling waves of pain. Stumbling, he made his way down the hall to his door. Digging into his pockets; he fumbled for his keys.

“Hey, Rob! How was your date?”

He turned slowly, and saw the brown unicorn in the door frame of the neighboring apartment.

“Shit...Rob are you alright? You look like hell.”

He said nothing as he turned back to his door, finally finding the right key, and opened it.

“R-”

-SLAM-

And then all was quiet, all was still. He stumbled into his living room and looked around. White walls, neutral colored furniture...clean, orderly....lifeless...gray

Gray...everything was so gray...where had the colors gone? Where had the control over his life gone? He took a few unsteady steps before falling to his knees. His head felt as though it would split open, the ringing was shattering the silence. Not just the colors now, but the entirety of his vision began to melt away.

He didn’t care. Not anymore. He just wanted to disappear, for everything to disappear.

He got his wish as he fell forward, never feeling the impact with the ground.

------------------------------

“Wait!” He cried out feebly.

His lungs burned, his entire body ached, yet no matter how hard he ran he couldn’t catch up to them.

“Don’t go! Don’t leave me behind! Please!”

Tears stung his eyes as he tried to chase after the retreating forms. He knew all of them, and yet they were as strangers to him. He could recognize them, but he could no longer remember their names.

He had to reach them, before they all disappeared, before they walked out of his life and memory forever.

But his body refused to function correctly; it was like trying to swim through molasses or run through quicksand. And soon, the shadows that he had so desperately called out to, that he had tried to follow, faded from his vision.

Defeated, he fell to his knees and wept. Now there was nobody left; now he was all alone.

‘You’re not alone.’

The darkness of the void shrank away as a prismatic trail of light streaked overhead. It soared high into the rapidly vanishing shadows before shooting straight down, past him, and towards the chasm.

“No…NO! DON’T GO!!!”

He felt his body suddenly free of its dysfunction and gave chase.

The void grew bright as the rainbow reached the edge of the chasm. He was right on its tail, he was so close.

“PLEASE!!”

The multicolored streak arced high into the air over the abyss, but stopped. It coalesced into a sphere which quickly morphed into a four –legged winged form. It shone with prismatic radiance, the color of the light changing as rapidly as it beat its wings. It turned its head back toward the edge of the chasm.

“Please…” he cried. “I’m…I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…” he fell to his knees. “Don’t leave me too…let me be with you…let me stay with you…please…”

The translucent figure tilted its head at this, it gazed upon him expectantly… It was…waiting for him?

He shakily rose to his feet as the figure turned away and began to slowly fly across the expanse, taking the light it held with it.

He began to run as the darkness started to close back in. He pushed his body to, and beyond, its absolute limits. He barreled toward the edge of the chasm and…

He jumped. He extended his hand before him as he sailed towards the figure of light.

He was so close. Just a bit more.

His momentum began to slow.

Just a little more.

His hand was about to reach the object of his desperation.

He stopped, and the cruel dominion of gravity claimed him, dragging him down into the now pitch black abyss, away from the glowing figure and the world above…

And into the void.

He couldn’t breathe. The shadows were choking him, laughing at him, ridiculing him for his weakness and failure.

Why…why couldn’t he be with her…why couldn’t he soar with her to the other side?

He fell deeper. The shadows began to claw at him, tearing at his skin, biting him. They whispered things that had no meaning but still tore away at his soul.

Why…why was this happening…?

The darkness began to twist and mutate, he could hear something breathing near him. The shadows that assaulted him suddenly dispersed, leaving him floating in the writhing blackness…or was he still falling?

Why couldn’t he wake up?

The nothingness peered at and through him; it studied him, judged him…and found him wanting.
He was drowning; the darkness was flooding his lungs, stealing his breath.

He sank deeper into the void as pieces of himself began to float away. He gazed up through the darkness, high above the luminescent form could still be seen, barely a pinprick of light now. It was no longer alone. Six others now surrounded it, like a small constellation of stars.

Liars. They had told him he could reach the other side. He made the leap…wasn’t it enough? He reached for them, trying to call out to them through the darkness that was choking him but it was futile.

Nobody could help him. Nobody could save him. Not now, not anymore.

And just like that the specks of light, his last hope, vanished.

The darkness had him now, and it gleefully reminded him of that fact by tearing more away from him. Memories began to float away…then pieces of his mind…then his soul…finally his heart, the last thing to remain out of desperation to reach the glowing figures…

Then there was nothing. Only heaviness…an almost peaceful serenity similar to death…
But he still existed. In the darkness he floated, swaying listlessly upon the dark tides of shadows…

‘Not yet.’

The void screamed, and he, now a part of it, screamed as well. Something tore at it, clawed through it, trying to reach him.

The darkness writhed and swelled, then vanished completely as he fell beyond its expanse, into an area beyond thought, beyond time.

Whispers. Voices. They spoke to him through a veil that lacked form and color, words that lacked sound and meaning, names of things that never, and yet had always existed.

They spoke of events that held no place in the pages of history, of people that had never been born yet had helped to shape the very fabric of reality. They spoke of beings so powerful and grandiose that their very existence was impossible.

All the while, shapes without form bearing colors without hue danced in front of his vision. They twisted and contorted, forming eldritch symbols whose purpose was lost, that spoke of things best left forgotten. This was different from the void that tried to erase him.

It was worse.

The whispers were no longer whispers as their volume grew. They began to shout at him, in thousands of octaves in thousands of dead tongues spoken by beings long dead. The symbols glowed in colors indescribable, every pulse of color and light hammered another lifetime’s worth of incomprehensible knowledge into his mind. Reality was beginning to have no meaning as he felt his very existence unraveling into the madness that was this place as he soonbecameawareofconceptsthatwerebeingmademanifestbeforehimthathadneverbeenponderedbeforeevenbytheancientscholarsofoldnopersoncouldevenbegintodescribethatwhichwasbeingpresentedhereinthespacebetweenexistenceandnothingnessasthecocophanyofinsanitycontinuesitsgibberingdroningchorusofidiocyandthestarsthatlaybeyondthewallsoftheuniversecontinuetowheelaboveandbelowtheindividualthathasbeencastbeyondallthingswhonowbythispointrealizesthattheentiretyofahistorythathadneveroccuredwasbeingplayedbeforehimlikeabrokencinemaprojectorandthechorusofmoronscontinuedtodroneonlikeadamagedrecordinanoldtimespeakeasysomewhereinchicagoduringprohibitionwhichwasanotherprodcutofhumanity’sfoolishfearoflackofcontrolofthemselvesandwasmerelyanexcusetoherdthecattlethatwastheinnumerablemassesofsheepthatnolongerthoughtforthemselvesbutinsteadblindlyfollowedwhateverauthorityandsocietytoldthemsuchasnormsandideasthathadtobeagreedwithandadheredtoifoneweretomaintainapresentableimageamongtheirfellowswholikehimwerealsoslavestotheconstructofauthorityputintoplacebygovernmentswhodidnotwan’ttheirpeopletofeelfreelikewindsintheskyorthebirdsthatflewinitorthepegasiortheearthponiesthatranupontheplainsortheunicornsthatpracticedcraftslongforgottenthatwerecondemnedbyreligionsthatpreachedservitudeandsufferingfortherewardofaparadisethatlaybeyonddeathbutwhatifsuchaparadisecouldbereachedwithoutservitudeordeathbutbyasimplechoicetocastoffeverythingthathewasandembraceafutureofhappinesstogetherwiththoseheloved

What was left of his heart was breaking as the revelations crashed against it like stormy seas against a cliff face.

Shewrappedherself,saying,ThouknowestmykingdomagarmentAndhehim;butallhiswrathwasintheirheadofthefirstbornManassehFor,[saidhe],theangelofthewholeearth:andstoodbeforeallthathewastheplacewherewerewithrigor:andthecityofCanaanAdathedaughterofthesevendaysAndMoseswasintheEgyptianspursuedasoneofIshmaelbecausetheirkneadingtroughsbeingmalesbutuntoyourownforyouandBenjaminthatEsauthykindredandhathwithheldthyservantsandthereinthewiseknowthatitstrue

What remained of his soul screamed as the cacophonous din roared into it.

apienCurabitursedmolestiesagittisequusCurabiturnuncFusceullamcorperMaurismagnanequequis enimnuncacturpissedportaetscelerisqueporttitorullamcorperrisusvehiculavitaetortorEquusUtmolestiemollisorciequusSedeubibendumacdictumequusconsectetuerAliquaminloremtortornonfelisMaecenaspretiumdoloquamultricesiaculisPellentesquelaoreetfermentumEquusVivamussempertellusUtbibendumafaucibuorcimolestienullainturpisvitaemassaequusDonecullamcorperligulaplaceratelementumodioetultricesmagnaNulladignissimPhasellusatbibendumaposuererisusMorbirisuseuanteQuisquecondimentumEquusDonecsollicitudinfringillaMorbifacilisisfaucibusorciconvalliseu

The last vestiges of his conscious mind shattered as the madness tore through it unforgivingly.

The last things he saw as he was absorbed into the hive mind of insanity…a rainbow mane…blue wings…magenta eyes filled with tears…

‘I want you to stay with me.’

The world of madness and the void that lay above shattered as he felt himself torn upwards through the fabric of his unconscious mind. Like a rush of ice cold water he was ripped into the waking world, and as he broke the surface of the ocean of dreams, he took a gasp of the air of the waking world

And screamed.

Long and loud, his anguished terrified cry reverberated off the walls of his living room. He was shaking uncontrollably, covered in an icy sweat.

It was so real. Everything had been so real. The things he saw, he learned, he knew them and yet could not remember them.

He couldn’t remember what they had said.

He looked around, his vision was blurred. His head throbbed, his chest was heavy. He clamored to his feet, but the shaking wouldn’t stop. Was he having a seizure?

He recoiled at the shadows that jumped out at him from behind the blurred furniture; they leered at him, threatened him, he needed to get away. His equilibrium was all but gone as he took a few shaky steps only to slam into a wall. His stomach churned and twisted, and with every spasm of his body he could feel acidic bile jumping up his throat into his mouth.

Like a drunk he staggered to the door that he vaguely remembered lead to the bathroom. He wouldn’t make it to the toilet. He flipped the light switch and, after glancing at his blurry reflection, leaned over the sink.

He vomited. Long yellow ropes of bile and the few remnants of what he managed to eat the day before filled the sink as he wretched. It felt like hours before the heaving subsided. He ran the water for a moment, washing it down and wetting a piece of toilet paper which he used to wipe his mouth.

He stood there, head still hung over the sink, his hands gripping the sides of the counter to keep him from just falling over. He was no longer shaking and his vision had begun to finally clear…

“You know it’s better to leave the water running.”

He froze.

“So you don’t clog the drain.”

His head snapped toward the door; no one.

“Try again.”

At this, he noticed something in his peripheral vision…something wasn’t right about his reflection.

“Goood…you’re getting warmer.”

He slowly turned toward the mirror.

“Warmer.”

His reflection was coming into view.

“You’re red hot.”

He gazed fully upon the mirror…and recoiled.

“Bingo.”

The reflection within was not his. In its place was instead a twisted facsimile. Its skin bore a sickly pallor; the veins underneath were as black as death. Its face bore horribly sunken cheeks stained with ink-black tears. It gazed upon him with yellowed pupils surrounded by sclera stained with jaundice. It grinned at him with a yellow snaggletooth smile.

“Heya Bobby.”

Robert felt himself shaking again. “What…what the hell is this? Who are you?”

The doppelganger brought a bony hand bearing long, stained fingernails to its chest. “That hurts Bobby…c’mon, don’t ya recognize me? Don’t you recognize…yourself?”

“No…no you’re not me…this isn’t real.”

“Oh but it is Bobby.” The creature replied. “You aren’t asleep anymore friend…you’re wide awake now…so either this is real…” The smile turned into an evil, toothy grin. “Or you have officially checked out-” It tapped its head. “Up here.”

“I…I’ve gone insane?”

“Well you are having a conversation with yourself in the mirror Bobby, that can’t be healthy now, can it?”

Robert shook his head furiously. “No. No you aren’t me.”

“And why is that so hard to believe?” The doppelganger asked. “I know everything about you Bobby, your dreams, your regrets, your failures…I know all of them.”

“That’s not-”

“I know why it was you always had to avert your gaze from the chasm-” The reflection interrupted. “-and why it is you were finally able to jump.”

“…Rainbow.”

“Yesss.” The mockery grinned. “The little pegasus that you have come to like sooo much…dare I say, something more?”

“You’re wrong.”

“Am I Bobby boy? Am I? I know you. I am you. You can hide nothing from me.” The reflection moved closer. “You hide behind your self-imposed punishment, you carry it like a cross, use it as an excuse to push everyone away from you.”

Robert shook his head. “No.”

“Yesss. The truth is you enjoy suffering. You love playing the martyr, even if it’s for a cause you don’t champion, let alone know.” The doppelganger leaned forward, its face almost pressing against the glass. “The truth is you are afraid. You are a coward Bobby, a child. You fear the responsibility of stepping up and changing your life; you would rather suffer alone, even die, then face the remote possibility of being proven wrong. You fear that all that you have suffered through, all that you have placed upon yourself will be for naught if you take that first step; that everything you had lived through before would have been pointless. And, you know what friend?”

Rob stared at the ghoul as its expression grew even more sinister.

“It is. IT WAS! Your suffering has been pointless! You are not some tragic man living through the end of his race out of some duty to his people. You are not a hero holding out for some hope that things will go back to the way they were. You aren’t even a man too stubborn to let go of his pride. You suffer because you are afraid. You push others away and lie to yourself because you are afraid.” Its yellowed eyes narrowed. “And you pushed away the one person, the one pony, that you remotely cared for, spurned her kindness, made her feel absolutely worthless because…you…are…afraid.”

“NO, NOO!” Robert screamed, clutching his head in his hands. “THAT’S NOT- I DIDN’T-”

“IT IS. YOU DID.” The doppelganger yelled gleefully. “I know! EVERYTHING, I know. And…you want to know why? I mean really, why?”

Robert, shaking, looked back into the mirror.

“I am that which causes you to avert your gaze from the chasm, from the truth.”

He could hear screaming, as if from far away.

“I am that which made you suffer alone in isolation for all these months. I am that which made you say those terrible, terrible things to your one, last companion in this life.” The facsimile continued, its voice becoming shadowed by multiple octaves. The screaming grew louder.

“Can you guess what I am…Bobby boy?”

His head throbbing, his heart pounding, and with tears in his eyes Robert slowly shook his head.

“I am your fear. I am born from everything you despise about yourself. Your hatred, your failures, your fears…all of them helped to create me and, in that way, I am you...I am what you have allowed yourself to become. And…”

The reflection drew even closer.

“Because of that…”

It raised one of its gnarled hands.

“I SHALL RULE YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS!”

With this proclamation the reflection, as if it were merely an open window, shot its hand through the mirror and with unnatural strength, wrapped its bony fingers around Robert’s throat.

His hands shot up and wrapped themselves around the wretched thing’s wrist. He thrashed, he struggled, but try as he might, he could not extricate himself from the ghoul’s grasp. The screaming, now sounding as if it was coming from right behind the walls, was deafening in his ears as blinding pain filled his head.

“That’s it-” The doppelganger cackled. “Fight, struggle, resist. It is futile to rail against the inevitable; it is too late now, far too late.”

The edges of Robert’s vision began to darken as his brain was steadily deprived of oxygen. This was it; he was going to die to his fear…his fear…

He was afraid. Now…then…he had always been afraid. Afraid to let go of what he knew and embrace something that could be better, afraid to trust those around him with his problems…afraid to listen to the ones he loved….

‘Dash…I’m…I’m so sorry…’ he thought as oblivion drew ever nearer.

“That’s it Bobby.” The reflection cooed sickeningly as its chokehold grew even tighter. “Just let it go…let it all go…close your eyes…sleep…”

The strength in his arms faded and they fell limp to his sides.

‘Mom…Dad…Sam…I’m sorry…I’m sorry I couldn’t make it home…’

His vision faded completely.

“Just let them go Robert…” The ghoul called into the darkness. “Let them all go…and stay here in the blackness… forever.”

Nothingness consumed him…nothingness and the screaming…his only companions now…nothing was left…nobody was left…not even himself.

And then…a voice.

‘I thought that…maybe…we could all go together Bobby…to where Sam is…me, you and your father…’

The void shrunk back. Like a dark tunnel, a pinprick of light could be seen in the distance.

No…these were memories…

‘I don’t need these anymore man…here…you take them…maybe you’ll get more use out of them since you won’t be getting ponified.’

The light grew as he felt himself moving towards it.

‘Hey Rob, can you do me a favor? I need you to watch my place for the next week. Decided to go and just get it over with you know? Maybe it won’t be so bad. Don’t worry though, I’ll be back; this city’s been my cradle, my home, and it will be my grave.’

The darkness was all but gone as the light filled his vision.

‘Are you an idiot?! I don’t want you to die! I want you to stay with me Rob!’

He wanted to live. He wanted to live and stay with her, to see them all again, he needed to live…to live…he needed to breathe.

The world swirled back into view once more as he took a long shuddering breath and life-giving air filled him. The doppelganger snarled.

Now? Now of all times you find your fucking balls?

His right hand clenched itself into a fist.

“You think she’ll take you back? Huh? You think they’ll forgive you? HUH? DO YOU?!”

He drew his fist back.

“THIS CHANGES NOTHING BOBBY! I RULE YOU, I ALWAYS WILL; YOU WILL NEVER BE FREE! YOU’RE A COWARD AND THAT WILL NEVER-“

-CRASH-

The mirror, and the ghoul that lay within it, shattered into a million pieces as Robert smashed it with all of his might. The glass cut and stabbed deeply into his hand, the pain raced up his arm and into his brain.
He gasped and looked down…only to discover that he had in fact been strangling himself with his own left hand.

There was no more screaming…all was silent…all was still…as Robert allowed himself to back into and slide down the wall behind him.

And there on the floor, among the innumerable pieces of the shattered mirror…

Robert cried.

------------------------------

John Miller yawned deeply. The coffee pot on the counter bubbled away, preparing his favorite drink.

“Today we are seeing a huge difference in the forecast from yesterday.” The weatherman on the television droned. “Those cold fronts have apparently decided to finally make their way over to New York, bringing a whole bunch of rain and scattered thunderstorms here…and here. Temperatures will be dipping back into the low 70’s and high 60’s, and a severe storm watch for all boroughs and Nassau County is being issued from four to ten pm.”

The coffee finished percolating as John looked up at the clock on the wall; 7:30 am, Rob would be on the balcony by now.

Levitating the pot and two mugs, he absentmindedly filled each one, adding a bit of sugar and milk, while he watched the television.

“Stay tuned for any changes to the forecast. Diane.”

A different anchorwoman from the day before came into view as the camera switched from the weather map. This one was a bit older than Jamie, but was still fairly attractive.

“Thank you Steven. In other news it appears the weather phenomenon from yesterday has subsided, and across the East Coast the climate has returned to normal, but for how long? Find out in our special report-”

The television flickered off as John brought a hoof down on the power button of the remote. The sliding glass door to his own balcony was bathed in a dim glow before being slid open. Cantering onto the balcony, he gazed out across the skyline; dark patches of clouds were already beginning to move in over the city, and the dank smell of humidity hung heavily in the air. It was going to rain, and soon.

Then, along with the humidity, another smell reached John’s nostrils; cigarette smoke. With a wry grin he turned to his neighbor’s balcony. “Should’ve known you’d be out here already Rob.”

Robert, however, gave no reply. John could see his legs, but the rest of his body was being obstructed by the small dividing wall that partially separated their two balconies. John trotted toward the railing.

“Rob? You alright?”

As John stuck his head over the railing to get a better look, his eyes went wide and it took almost all his willpower not to drop the two mugs he was levitating behind him. Robert was indeed already on his balcony…he sat in his deck chair hunched over, still wearing his clothes from the day before. A cigarette hung loosely in his lips, which were surrounded by a heavy 5’0’clock shadow. His left hand rested on one of the arm rests of the chair, but his right…John’s eyes drifted downward…

The two mugs exploded onto the deck floor, scattering coffee and pieces of porcelain.

Robert’s mangled right hand hung limply at his side. Pieces of mirrored glass stuck out at odd angles and a small pool of dried blood lay underneath. At the sound of the shattering mugs, Robert slowly turned toward the unicorn, gazing at him with empty, almost soulless eyes bloodshot from crying.

“Hello John.” He greeted flatly.

“Rob…Rob what the- Christ! Your hand! Rob what happened?”

Rob lifted the hand, looking at it emotionlessly before letting it fall back at his side. “I had a bad dream.”

“What?! Jesus Robert you need to get to the hospital!”

Robert turned back to the skyline. “What’s the point?” He took a long drag from his cigarette. “It wouldn’t change anything…”

John, at a loss for words, carefully maneuvered over the shattered mugs back into his apartment. Reaching out with his magic, he brought his cell phone to him from across the room. Flipping it open, he was about to dial 911…but something stopped him. Something, deep down, told him Robert didn’t need the hospital right now.

Against his better judgment, he laid the phone down on a nearby table, and instead cantered into his bathroom. Nosing his way into the cabinet under the sink, he retrieved a white case with his teeth. Trotting back onto the balcony, he telekinetically slid a small plastic table on his deck over to the railing and, using it for a boost, clumsily made his way over the small gap onto Robert’s balcony.

He slowly walked to Robert, whose gaze was still locked onto the sky. Placing the case down, he used his magic to open it and levitated antiseptic and bandages out, as well as a pair of tweezers.

At this, Robert looked back to the Unicorn. “What are you doing?”

“Fixing your hand.”

The human shook his head. “What’s the point?” Robert repeated. “It won’t change anything.”

Ignoring him, John nosed his arm onto the unoccupied arm rest, and took stock of the damage. There were deep gashes across his knuckles, and three large pieces of glass were embedded into the backside of the hand.

“Fuck Robert, what did you do to yourself?”

“I punched my bathroom mirror.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s right.”

“…what?”

The human merely shook his head. Sensing this wasn’t going to get him answers, John decided to get on with treatment. He wasn’t a doctor, but he had worked as an EMT for fifteen years in the Bronx. Carefully, he lowered the tweezers to the first piece of glass.

He glanced up at Robert, and for the first time saw just how haunted the young man looked. His eyes were even more sunken than usual, his face was gaunt and pale, and his expression seemed to hover between sorrow, fear, and regret.

“Rob, Rob you with me?” John asked with concern.

The human slowly turned towards the unicorn and gave a weak nod.

“Alright, now…this is going to hurt…a lot.”

Robert merely shrugged.

With a deep breath, John clamped the tweezers around the piece of glass and, with another glance at the young man’s face, pulled it out of his hand.

Robert didn’t even flinch.

John was relieved; it looked a lot worse than it really was. The glass had only dug less than a quarter of an inch into the hand, and if the other two offending pieces came out as easily, he probably wouldn’t need many stitches.

Repeating the process on the other two pieces revealed similar results, and after checking for any lingering shards, John began to disinfect the wounds. He noticed Robert begin to wince ever so slightly as he doused the gashes in antiseptic.

The next part would be tricky; wrapping the wounds. Focusing with all of his might, John began to weave his magic over the roll of bandages, willing them to unravel and wrap themselves correctly over the wounded hand. His eyes were screwed tight as he worked, feeling the progress of his ministrations through his magic. Eventually he opened his eyes, and noted with relief that he had managed to successfully bandage the entirety of Robert’s hand. It would have to do until the young man could get proper treatment.

For a moment, John noticed a strange feeling near his flanks, but dismissed it as there were more pressing matters at hand. He closed the first-aid kit after replacing the antiseptic and unused bandages and looked up at the human.

Robert still bore the same haunted expression from earlier, but a little light had returned to his eyes.
“Thanks.” He said with a small smile.

“No problem…” John levitated the first-aid kit back onto his own balcony and turned back to Robert.

“Now what the hell happened to you Rob?”

The young man shook his head.

“Rob, tell me. Did something happen yesterday while you were out?”

Again, nothing.

“Dammit Robert something happened to you. You look like you haven’t slept or eaten in days, you punched your bathroom mirror for some reason, and what’s this about ‘him’ being right? Who’s ‘him’?”

Robert brought a hand to his face, as if in pain.

“ROBERT-“

“Me.”

“...What?”

“He is me.” Robert said as he leaned down bringing his hands to his head. “John I think I’m losing my mind…”

The unicorn trotted in front of Robert and sat down on his hindquarters, staring at the human intently.

“Tell me. Tell me everything.”

Robert looked up, deep into the blue eyes of the Unicorn before him…and did.

He recounted his dream of madness, how he felt himself slipping away, only to be brought back into the waking world at the last moment. He described the mimic in the mirror, how it was the manifestation of his fears, how it tortured him, tried to kill him…how it was him.

“…and then I punched the mirror and everything stopped.” Robert finished.

John sat there silently, obviously trying to process everything he just heard. Robert stamped out his cigarette and leaned back in the chair. He looked much better, obviously needing to get everything that happened off his chest, but John sensed there was something else.

“That isn’t all of it, is it?”

Robert closed his eyes, obviously struggling to find the words.

“Rob, you’ve come this far, finish it. Tell me.”

For a moment Robert remained still, before reaching into the pack of cigarettes that lay nearby and pulling another out. He lit it, taking a long drag and exhaling the plume of smoke above the unicorn’s head, watching as the humid breeze caught it and dispersed it into the air.

“Yesterday, Rainbow Dash and I decided to head to central park.”

John nodded slowly, urging him to continue.

“We met a unicorn by the name of Rarity, who is one of Rainbow’s friends from Equestria. She invited Rainbow out to a quick lunch to catch up on things, so I decided to head down to the HCPS library while they ate. I met another unicorn, the same one from yesterday’s interview, who coincidentally is also a good friend of Rainbow Dash.”

“Really? She was at the HCPS?”

“Yeah. Apparently she likes human books.” He took another drag. “We got to talking, about how she saw the human world, about the differences in human and pony literature, and then we were interrupted when the librarian turned on the television. There was some sort of weather phenomenon being reported by the weather service.”

“Yeah, I saw that today on the news. They said it passed though.”

“Huh.” Robert looked out into the overcast sky. “So it seems. How odd.”

“What?”

“Twilight got really quiet after we watched the report.” Robert continued. “Started asking me questions about my physical and psychological health…”

John winced. He wasn’t blind; he began to see the changes in Robert before anyone else.

“Apparently my headaches…my dreams…they were related to the phenomenon.”

“How?”

Robert paused, ashing his cigarette and then taking another puff.

“The magic of Equestria has been seeping to the United States over the past several months and apparently the night before yesterday it hit some sort of threshold, because the environment began to react.”

John’s eyes went wide. “So, the phenomenon-“

“-was caused by the levels of magical energy in the atmosphere.” Robert interjected. “But…this brings another problem.”

The unicorn tilted his head. “What problem?”

Robert snorted. “I’m sure you’ve seen that advert for the bureau.”

“More times than I care to recall yeah.”

“Then you know what they keep warning us about…how humanity won’t survive the changes to the world radiating out from the Equestrian continent.”

John felt his mouth go dry. “Wait…wait a goddamn minute Rob, are you saying-“

“I’m dying John.” Robert answered with a strange smile. “In a week and a half I’ll need to be hospitalized…in two I’ll be dead.”

A frozen silence permeated the air of the balcony. John stared disbelievingly at the human before him, who in turned gazed back at him with that strange smile.

“…why the hell are you smiling?” John finally spat, standing. “If- if that’s true shouldn’t you be more concerned? Shouldn’t you be getting things in order? What the hell is there to smile about Rob?!”

Robert arched a brow at the pony before him, as if John’s change in demeanor had only been half-expected, as if he was overreacting.

“Damn it Robert this is serious!” The unicorn exclaimed while stamping a hoof angrily on the porch.
“Shouldn’t you be packing up? Leaving New York?”

Robert shook his head. “I’m not leaving.”

John’s mouth fell open, dumbfounded. “Then…then are you-”

“Look. I know it sounds…weird…but that isn’t what caused all this, I mean it’s a part of it but…there’s more.”

John snorted in aggravation. “Rob-“

“You wanted to hear all of it right?”

The pony’s eyes narrowed before he sat back down. “Fine. Let’s hear it.”

“Right then…” Robert took a deep breath. “After I heard about my ‘situation’, I met back up with Rainbow and we got into the park. At first everything was fine; she did her tricks, I watched, grabbed a dog and just relaxed against that hug oak. She eventually landed; we started talking…then she mentioned my condition. Apparently Rarity also knew, and told Rainbow everything at lunch. Well…one thing led to another…ponification got brought up and…”

“…and?” John asked, eyes wide.

Robert brought his hands to his head once more, this time in shame.

“I lost it John. I started just…saying things, things I didn’t mean, it was like something was…talking through me. I told her she obviously didn’t care about my feelings if she wanted me to do it. I said that she obviously felt weird hanging out with a human now that all of her friends were coming to New York…and when she told me that she was only worried about my wellbeing …I told her to just go home and left, just like that I left her there…Christ John I’m a monster.”

John’s gaze softened as the young man drew shuddering breaths, tears beginning to roll down his cheeks. It was time.

“Do I really have to say it Robert?”

The human lifted his head from his hands, confusion in his bloodshot eyes.

“You love her.”

The human blinked, then violently shook his head. “No-“

“Stop it.” John was standing again. “I’m not going to let you do this to yourself. You need to admit it Robert.”

“But I-…she’s just a friend.” The young man retorted, his eyes darting about in obvious distress.

“Bullshit.” The unicorn stepped closer. “Tell me Rob, why do you wake up in the morning?”

“What?”

“What compels you to get out of your bed? You have no job, your family is gone, you haven’t had any ambition to do anything since you were fired from work. Yet, every day, you manage to get yourself up and face the world…why? And if you say it’s to have a mug of my coffee every morning than I really do think you’ve lost your mind.”

“I…I don’t know.”

Bullshit Robert!” The pony’s snout was practically in the human’s face. “You have a reason. It brings you your mail every morning, you take it out to lunch every afternoon, and you spend almost all your free time with it.”

“John-”

“Say her name Rob, say it.”

Robert’s shoulder’s slumped in defeat. “Rainbow Dash.”

John took a few steps back and nodded in approval. “That’s right. Robert I may only be your neighbor but even I can tell that pegasus is your everything.”

Robert covered his face with a hand. “But…but even if I…did…its wrong isn’t it?”

The unicorn snorted. “Why, because she’s an animal?”

“What?! No, that’s not what-“

“Look at me Rob. I’ve been your neighbor for three years. Look at me, John Miller, and tell me; do you see an animal?”

Robert peered at the pony for a long minute before shaking his head.

“Exactly, I’m still your neighbor, species shouldn’t matter. Ponies are sentient, free-thinking beings, and are the closest things to humans on this planet. And, in case you haven’t noticed; the definition of humanity has become distorted. The lines between mankind and ponykind are starting to blur so much that they are virtually nonexistent. What is humanity if someone can be human one day, and a completely different species the next? ”

Robert nodded slowly, obviously mulling it over in his head.

“Besides-” John continued with a grin. “-I’ve heard hundreds of stories about this very circumstance. Spouse undergoes conversion, other spouse doesn’t for their own reasons, yet the two remain together happily. Your situation is a little different, but not by much.” His grin became a bit more mischievous. “I’ve even heard that such couples manage to stay…intimate.”

“Ugh okay John you’ve made your point. I don’t want to hear about that.” Robert said while rubbing his eyes.

John chuckled; he could tell the young man’s defiance was steadily crumbling in the face of logic.

“Still…even if it’s…acceptable, what would she possibly see in me? John she’s told me about the adventures she’s gone on, the things she’s done. She’s fought mythical creatures, harnessed some of the most powerful magic ever conceived, she was the first pony to fly faster than the speed of sound…and the craziest part? She doesn’t think any of that is a big deal! Her crowning achievement in life is to one day join the Wonderbolts, the most famous flying team in Equestria, and she’ll get in for sure! In the face of all that, what could she possibly see in an unemployed chain-smoking web designer just barely hanging on?”

John blinked. “Well she’s stuck around this long right? There’s gotta be something she likes about you.”
Robert shook his head despondently. John sighed.

“Alright then, let’s try this. What do you see in her Robert?”

The young man sighed, sitting back in the chair. “Where do I begin? She’s…brave…strong…confident…she doesn’t give a damn what anybody thinks about her, she just faces everything head on with this energy that I can’t even begin to describe. She’s funny, and a real softie once you get to know her. She’s…she’s everything I can’t be and so much more I just-”

“Couldn’t help but fall for her?”

Robert visibly tensed, his eyes locked on brightening morning sky. John could tell something had finally clicked in the head of the human. The young man brought his hands to his eyes, which admittedly looked comical with one of them completely wrapped in bandages.

“Rob, it’s alright man, you have nothing to be ashamed of.”

“It’s not that.” Robert responded thickly. “What do I do now John? After what I said…how can I-”

“Go get her man. Talk to her, apologize, and for God’s sake tell her how you feel.”

“What if she doesn’t feel the same way?”

John nudged the human with a hoof, and Robert removed his hands from his eyes to stare at the Unicorn before him.

“There’s only one way to find out right?” the pony said with a smile.

The young man gazed at his neighbor for a few moments before standing and walking over to the railing of his balcony. He looked out across the city and the distant rumbling of thunder could be heard.

“Look. Go to her, settle this, then come back and we can talk about your-”

“Actually-” The human interrupted, turning back to John. “-I need you to do me a favor.”

The pony tilted his head. “Sure Rob…what is it?”

------------------------------

The skies had opened up minutes earlier, bringing sheets of rain down upon the city. John stood on his balcony, sipping a new mug of coffee as he watched the rain. Leaning just a bit over the railing, he could see a figure garbed in a long dark green poncho with a bag tightly strapped to its back making its way down Amsterdam Avenue, toward Brooklyn.

He smiled, draining the last of his coffee he turned back toward his door, and for the first time noticed something was different about his reflection. There, on his flank, a large red cross could be seen; his brand new cutie mark.

“Well...guess today really is a red letter day.”