• Published 17th May 2013
  • 11,118 Views, 785 Comments

Brushed Away - TheVClaw



For Troy the Gryphon, life in Equestria wasn't exactly as fulfilling as he imagined on his own. However, after volunteering to help out with a storm prepping project, he discovers a pony who helps to change everything.

  • ...
33
 785
 11,118

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Great Expectations

Canvas and Troy had originally planned to head straight to their cabin on the train to make up for lost time. But instead, Lyra pushed them into her and Bon-Bon's cabin, acting like a giddy school-filly as she demanded every single detail of their encounter. While her overexcitement made them both a bit uncomfortable at first, the two eventually relaxed enough to talk.

As Troy recounted his discussion with Rainbow Dash, Bon-Bon took a mental note to make the pegasus a ton of free candy for her help. By the time the story reached their first kiss, Canvas couldn't keep his subtlety in check and was nuzzling Troy's shoulder. Realizing the two were probably going to make out right then and there, the two blushing mares let them get back to their cabin.

Since their ride back to Ponyville took a different route than the one to Canterlot, the train arrived at the station just before nightfall. Once the train began to slow down, Bon-Bon decided to check on the new couple to make sure they were ready.

She trotted over to Canvas and Troy's door, knocking a few times. She heard the sound of things moving around before the door opened slightly. Troy's head popped out through the gap, seeming unaware that his feathers were ruffled beyond recognition. Bon-Bon struggled not to laugh.

"Guys, we're almost in Ponyville… You may need to freshen up."

With that, Bon-Bon trotted back to her cabin, laughing while Troy peered at her in confusion. He closed the door behind him and looked back at his new coltfriend, whose mane was also mussed up. Canvas and Troy struggled not to laugh, blushing heavily.

Canvas calmed down first. “You… you look really cute."

Troy's feathers ruffled out even more, causing Canvas to laugh out loud. Troy moved his head forward to nuzzle Canvas' face, his feathers brushing against the aqua fur. Just then, the train stopped altogether. Canvas gave him another kiss on the beak before grabbing his art bag and throwing it over his shoulder.

After taking a moment to smooth out their fur and feathers, Canvas and Troy stepped off the train side-by-side. Troy draped his wing over the pony’s back to keep him close. Canvas nestled himself in close in return, looking almost inseparable from the cheerful gryphon. Neither of them noticed Rainbow Dash shoot past above them.

Upon noticing Troy, Rainbow Dash shot her wings out to slow down, turning around midair to see Canvas beside him. A huge grin appeared on her face. Her friend hadn’t chickened out.

"Yo, Troy!" Rainbow landed in front of them, smirking at the two. "So, how did it go? I'm guessing things went well?"

Troy's wing pulled his coltfriend in closer. "Yeah, it couldn't have gone better.” He looked back at her with a graciously warm smile. “Thank you, Dash. I mean it. You really helped me out big time."

“Hey, it's cool. Don't sweat it, dude…” Her muzzle skewed ever so slightly. “Say Troy, do you mind if I ask you something?"

"Sure, what?"

Her eyes narrowed, and her tone became more curious. "When you got back to the hotel room and got together, what time did it happen?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Would you say it happened after midnight?" At this point, Rainbow was looking rather insistent, puzzling Troy and his coltfriend.

"I, uh… I guess so, right?"

Canvas nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I… I think it was after midnight."

"So it technically happened on a Sunday?" Rainbow's eyes now shined with anticipation.

"Um… yeah,” said Troy. "I guess it was on a Sunday. Why are you so interested--"

"YES!!" Rainbow Dash flew up above them, hovering in the air and doing a little victory dance.

Eventually, Rainbow noticed the couple’s befuddled stare, and she quickly recomposed herself with an embarrassed grin before landing again. "Sorry about that. It's just that… I… may have won a wager with some ponies."

”I knew it!" shouted Troy, pointing a talon at her. "I knew you would make a bet on us! I even said that back at the pond!"

"Technically, you thought it was with Applejack for twenty bits… It was actually fifty."

Troy groaned and rubbed his temple.

"Also, a few other ponies got in on it, too."

"Other ponies?" asked Canvas, bemused. "What are you talking about?"

"Well… There's been a betting pool going on for which day you two would finally hook up. Applejack had fifty on it happening on a Saturday, and… I was the only one who had money going on a Sunday."

"Wait, the only one?" Troy said, aggravated. "How many ponies were in on this!?"

"Um…” Rainbow Dash poked her at the air. "Twenty… twenty-seven, I think?"

Both Canvas and Troy's jaws dropped. Troy closed his eyes to hold his rising anger back, and raised a talon to her.

"Twenty… seven!?"

Oblivious to their surprise, the mare kept going cheerfully. "Well, I think a few more may have joined before you two went to Canterlot. I mean, it was pretty obvious that it was going to happen sometime! It started off as a bet with some of the other crew members, but then Applejack and Rarity wanted in on it, and then the Cakes, and before I knew it, I had to hire Spike to manage everything!"

Canvas’ mouth was still agape. "Let me get this straight. You're telling me that there's been a major gambling ring going on regarding when Troy and I would end up together!?"

"Yeah. And I won a looot of money!"

Before Troy could reach out and strangle the mare, Rainbow Dash flew off, laughing as she went back into town. Troy considered chasing after her, but his anger subsided as soon as he felt Canvas nuzzling his chest again. Troy took deep breaths to calm himself down, and then knelt down to nuzzle him back.

"Don't worry about it,” said Canvas. "At least you got an awesome coltfriend out of it!"

Troy giggled before using a claw to pull Canvas in, holding him close. "Yeah, I guess I can’t beat that..."

The two bent in and kissed once more. Suddenly, they heard the audible click of a megaphone. Rainbow Dash's voice boomed out from within the town.

"THEY DID IT! THEY KISSED ON SUNDAY!"

A large mass of groans erupted, causing Canvas to blush and Troy’s anger to return. Before the gryphon could seriously contemplate first-degree murder, however, Canvas sighed and put a hoof to Troy's shoulder, bringing his attention back to each other.

"C'mon, let's just get back to my place."


After the sixth pony came up to them to confirm the day they kissed, Troy decided to just pick up his new love and fly them both to Canvas' home. Canvas had wanted to get some things from Ponyville before heading home, but he quickly stopped caring when he felt Troy's forelegs wrap around his body. As soon as he was up in the air, he felt the same sense of euphoria he experienced from the first flight.

Canvas closed his eyes. He felt the wind flow through his aqua fur. He savored the sensation of Troy keeping him to his chest. Troy flew in silence, trying to stay composed while looking ahead.

Troy’ mind kept racing with random thoughts even when he reached the barn. He landed on the ground by his door, still holding Canvas underneath him. Though Canvas didn’t want to let him go, he could tell something was wrong. With a worried look, Canvas slowly crawled out of the embrace, and put a hoof on his feathered shoulder.

"Troy? Troy, what's wrong?"

Troy sighed and looked away, unsure of how to say it.

"I… I dunno."

Canvas brought his face closer to him. He brought his hooves around his back to hold him, standing on his hindlegs as he kept a concerned gaze on him. He gave him a light kiss on the cheek.

"Troy, is it about what Rainbow Dash said? Because that doesn’t bother me at all."

"I know, it's just…” Troy sighed again, lifting a foreleg to hug Canvas back. "... It just makes me feel like a huge idiot for taking so long."

Canvas quickly let go. "Troy, please don’t say that! I told you, I don't have any regrets about the time we've spent together as friends, and you shouldn't feel bad about it either. Why are you still upset?"

"Oh, I dunno. Maybe the fact that half the town knew I loved you before I did? That everypony knew I was gay before I realized it myself?"

Canvas hugged Troy once more and softly kissed his neck. He could understand how Troy was feeling, for he remembered how hard it was for him to come to terms with his own sexuality. So he kept on with his gentle hug, letting his caring warmth give his boyfriend the support he needed.

"Troy, I know this is a big adjustment for you. I've been there before, and I know how scary it can be. You should be grateful that you have friends who love you no matter what, and that you have someone who you can truly feel happy with. Because that's all that matters."

Troy felt a small smile grow on his beak, knowing that Canvas was right. Considering how most of the ponies reacted to them as a new couple, Troy was grateful he was being given support. As he held Canvas closer, Troy bent his head down and gave a light peck on his chestnut mane.

"Canvas, finding you was the greatest thing that ever happened to me. I really do love you. I just… I just feel like I was taking too long to see it."

"It's alright. You're not the only one…” Canvas sighed. “Troy, I didn’t realize that I was in love with you until the gallery. For the longest time, I tried to convince myself that you were just a really good friend to me, because… because I didn’t want to hurt myself for falling for someone who… might not love me back."

The stallion slowly brought his head up to Troy's, keeping his eyes locked on those shining, golden orbs. "But falling in love with you, and letting you into my heart, was one of the best things I’ve ever done."

With that, Canvas gave another tender kiss, and Troy kissed even deeper in return. With the warmth and taste of the stallion flooding his mind once more, all of Troy's worries vanished. Deep down, the gryphon knew that Canvas was right; even though it took a while to see the light, finally basking in its warmth was totally worth it.

Slowly, Canvas pulled his head back. "Besides, I think we've been catching up pretty quick, don’t you think?"

Troy grinned and pulled the stallion closer. He then looked at Canvas' home.

"You got a point, and my first play rehearsal isn’t until Tuesday. I don't have anything to do tomorrow, so we could certainly use that time to our advantage."

"We certainly could. We don't have to rush into anything huge right now, but we can certainly do a lot tonight and tomorrow for sure."

Troy's smile grew more seductive.

"So… what do you think?"

"Well…” Canvas looked down in contemplation. "We both have some big things to do in the next month or two, what with you and the play and me with Celestia's painting. Because of that, it might be best if we wait a little before we do anything, well… big.”

"Oh. You mean…”

Canvas nodded in worry.

"It's just... we only just became a couple, and I think it might be best if we waited for… that… when the time is right."

Troy nodded in understanding. They were both going to be busy with their own things, regardless of their new relationship. As much as Troy didn't want his relationship to go slow after spending so much time as just friends, he knew better than to rush into anything major after just one day. He wanted this relationship to work just as much as Canvas did.

However, Canvas’ sensual grin persisted. "But like you said, we have all night tonight, and all day tomorrow. We could still do a lot of making out in that amount of time…”

Troy picked Canvas up to his chest and stood on his hindlegs, looking at him seductively while kicking open Canvas' door. Canvas giggled at being carried by his boyfriend in such a way, and wrapped his hooves around the back of Troy's neck, kissing him on the cheek. The pony felt surprisingly secure as Troy balanced himself, and walked them up the stairs to the loft.

He never would've thought he would ever be in a relationship like this in his life, but Troy didn’t care one bit as he looked into the shimmering blue of Canvas' eyes. He smiled over the thought of how lucky he really was, sighing to himself in pure contentment. The two fell onto the king-sized bed and held onto each other, both of them savoring the moment as they kissed once more. Even when the day turned into the night, the couple merely let the darkness slip into their room while they celebrated their newfound love.

Author's Note:

Just so any newer readers are aware, I've recently been undergoing a big project to turn the Brushed Away series into physical books for individual sale. Because of that, I just wanted to make a quick note for which chapters have been revised so far, including this one.

I want to give my deepest thanks, as well as some well-deserved credit to my followers helping me out with this process, as well as Double R. Forrest for their proofreading credits. And if anyone is interested in helping out with making this project a reality, I highly recommend checking out my Official Ko-Fi page dedicated to it.

PreviousChapters Next