• Published 17th May 2013
  • 11,113 Views, 785 Comments

Brushed Away - TheVClaw



For Troy the Gryphon, life in Equestria wasn't exactly as fulfilling as he imagined on his own. However, after volunteering to help out with a storm prepping project, he discovers a pony who helps to change everything.

  • ...
33
 785
 11,113

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty-Five: Memories and Meteors

Yeah, his face was pretty cute.

Pretty cute.

Cute.

Troy still couldn't stop thinking about that one bucking word. That’d never happened before, so why did it happen then? He knew it had to be nothing more than a small mix-up of words. It couldn’t have been any other reason; or at least, he didn’t want to think of any other reason.

A gust of wind brushed past him as he soared through the dusk skies, and Troy tried to focus on his surroundings instead. When he saw Canvas' house in the distance, he tried not to take notice of how quickly his heart sank into his stomach. He certainly didn’t want to turn back like a coward, but he also wasn’t sure of what to do when he got there. Surely that slip of the tongue wasn’t enough to make him feel awkward around Canvas.

Would it?

Troy cringed. His own thoughts were betraying him. But before he could do anything to quell his uncertainties, the gryphon suddenly stopped midair.

A distinct scent caught his senses strongly enough to make Troy’s eyes widen and his pupils shrink. It had been months since he left the Gryphon Kingdom, but that familiar aroma of salty savoriness still hit him like a bag of bricks. He took several rapid sniffs like a bloodhound, and his sights peered downward when he realized it was coming from Canvas' house. His left eye twitched, and he shot toward the barn like a bullet.

Meanwhile in the barn itself, Canvas was working diligently in his kitchen to get everything done before eight. The process took a bit longer than he’d like to admit, but the pony hoped that Troy wouldn’t be late. As the cast iron skillet cooked the contents inside, Canvas tightened both his ponytail and his apron, not wanting to get hit with the scalding-hot splatter of that grease again. The smell that filled his home was borderline nauseating, but he persisted. He pulled the last of the sizzling pieces out of the skillet with the tongs in his teeth. Then he carefully placed them on a plate lined with paper towels, and brought down the dial on his stove to a simmer for later on.

Canvas was just about to bring the plate to the table, but he nearly dropped it when a loud barrage of knocks came from his door. The stallion yelped sharply enough to make his fur stuck out, so he quickly rubbed his coat back down before putting the plate down, and smirked to himself as he went to answer the door.

“Hey there, birthda--GAAAHHH!!” Canvas inadvertently shrieked when he saw Troy at his door, or rather, the state Troy was in. The gryphon’s stare was downright terrifying, and his upright stance made his body nearly block up the entire doorway. He didn’t say anything, and his eyes darted around like a hawk looking for its kill.

"Umm… h-hey Troy!” said Canvas, trying to recompose himself. “S-So, I just got the--"

"I smell bacon."

Canvas took a second to blink in disbelief, but then gawked as he looked back at the kitchen. "S-seriously?! You can smell it from that far?! I didn't think gryphons could smell tha--"

Troy's face loomed less than an inch from his. The stallion froze up again, and could only glance up at the gryphon staring him down like a hungry dog.

"Did you make bacon?" Troy’s voice bordered between stoic concern and unparalleled need.

Canvas sighed with a smile before taking a few steps back. "Just sit down at the table, buddy."

Canvas trotted back into the kitchen, giving Troy the chance to calm himself down as he walked into his modest abode. Troy noticed that Canvas' living space was much more decorated than the last time he was here. Several small, framed pieces of artwork were now hanging on the walls, and a potted plant rested by the base of the loft stairs. There was also a large decorative rug draped on the floor underneath him, which seemed to go with the décor fairly well.

Troy breathed in the smell of bacon deeply as he sat down in his chair at the dining table. His hind-paws tapped on the floor anxiously, like a little foal at a restaurant in wait for the dessert cart to wheel by. Troy eyed the kitchen door when it opened, which revealed Canvas entering the main room with a large plate in his mouth. Troy's wings shot open when he saw that the plate was filled with a large pile of steaming bacon. The moment Canvas rested the plate on the table, he nearly burst out laughing when he caught sight of Troy’s enamored stare and gaped beak.

"That's… th--that’s… ba… baco… you made…”

"Yeah, I made you bacon,” said Canvas with a prideful grin. “Happy Birthday!"

With the way he shuddered, his claws fidgeting, Troy looked like he was going to eat the entire plate instantly. However, much to Canvas’ surprise, the gryphon didn’t hesitate to shoot a serious glare back at him. "Please do not tell me you killed an animal to make this for me!"

"NO!” Canvas instantly threw his hooves up in a panic. “No, no, no, no! I swear I didn't do anything like that! When I was in Baltimare, I met a guy who sold me the meat! I promise, all I did was cook the meat. I wasn’t beating it or anything."

Troy would’ve sighed in relief, but that last sentence caused him to clutch his beak shut with both claws so he wouldn’t crack up. Meanwhile, Canvas tilted his head at the gryphon’s immediate response. “Uhhh… what did I do now?”

“N-Nothing! Nothing…” Troy was quick to wave his claw assuredly while trying to control his breathing. He then turned his attention back to the plate in front of him, and stared at the pile of salty pork like it was a gift from Celestia herself. Troy salivated as he breathed out shakily, and his claws slowly loomed towards the pile.Though his impulses were screaming at him to dig in, he struggled not to worry over whether it would actually be meat, or some of that plant-based crap ponies would try to pass off as meat.

"Ugh! Dude, go ahead!” griped Canvas. “You’re looking kinda creepy leaning into the plate like that. Just eat it already!"

Troy didn’t need to be told twice, and instantly sunk his claws into the bacon. A primal groan came out of his beak before he tried shoving half of the pile into his open maw. Various chunks of bacon fell from his beak, sprinkling back onto the table along with copious drippings of bacon grease that likely would’ve stained any tablecloth. Canvas could only stare in a mix of disgust and disbelief at the scenario he created right beside him, but refrained from saying anything. Upon remembering what else he had planned, Canvas trotted back to the kitchen. He couldn’t resist looking back one last time, however, and giggled when he saw Troy laughing to himself with his head reeled back and his beak stuffed with half-chewed bacon.

Troy kept cramming as much of the salty gift from the goddesses as he could into his mouth. He could swear that he heard choruses playing in his head. After spending months in a society where eating meat was taboo, Troy savored every piece of the forbidden bacon on his tongue and grease-slathered claws. By the time he picked up and ate every piece of the pile, Troy couldn’t have cared less about how he looked when he started licking the remaining grease off the plate.

Canvas eventually came back, and spoke with a sing-song tone. "Oh, Trooooyyyy…

"Yeah?" Troy's response came out as more of a moan than anything else, and his eyes were blissfully shut.

"I still have the pan ready, so how do you like this cooked?"

Troy's heart almost stopped when he finally looked up, and he dropped the plate in his claws. Only a few inaudible gasps could come out of his beak, for he was left in utter disbelief upon seeing what his friend was holding in his hoof: a five-inch thick, prime-cut steak.

"Gustav told me that this was one of the best cuts, but I wasn't sure if he was right…” Canvas' words trailed off as he took in Troy’s awe-stricken stare. "...but I'm guessing by how much you're drooling that this was a good pick?"

Troy slowly nodded, his head slowly moving forward and his claws reaching out like he was going to eat it raw right there. Canvas cautiously stepped back and repeated his question. "So, ummm… Troy? How do you want this cooked?"

"Medium rare. Always medium rare." Troy didn't even look at Canvas, and kept his eyes glued on the steak. Canvas merely sighed with an accepting smile, and went back into the kitchen without asking anything else.


Cooking the steak took longer than Canvas expected, but Troy didn't seem to mind when it was finally brought out. He nearly snatched the plate from Canvas' hooves as soon as he came out the doorway. As Troy started gnawing on the steak without any utensils, his talons pierced through the strip and the juices dripped down his forelegs. All the while, Canvas just watched him from across the table with curious amazement as he quietly ate his garlic bread. Even though the whole concept of eating animals was beyond discomforting for the stallion, he didn't seem to mind watching Troy eating his steak. Of course, that was most likely due to how much Troy was savoring every bite with absolute pleasure, which was quite a confidence boost for the pony who never cooked such a thing before that night.

"Uhh…” Troy laid back in his chair in a daze. The back of his chair creaked a little as he held a claw against his stomach. "I might not celebrate birthdays that much, but… I can safely say that’s the best birthday gift I’ve ever gotten."

Canvas smiled cheerfully. "Well, I'm really glad you liked it. I was honestly a little worried whether or not I cooked it right, since I never cooked meat before."

"Dude…” Troy chuckled to himself as he basked in the afterglow of his meal. “That steak… was absolutely perfect."

Troy gave Canvas a genuine smile. "Seriously, this was really thoughtful of you. Thank you."

"Oh, don't mention it,” Canvas said after swallowing a mouthful of bread. "That's what friends do."

Before Canvas could wipe off his hooves with a napkin, he quickly looked back up to Troy with a more serious expression. "Seriously though, please don't mention this to anypony. I'm pretty sure I'd get in huge trouble."

Troy smiled and nodded his head in understanding. Suddenly, a distinct 'ding' came from the kitchen, which made Canvas bolt up from his chair. "Oph! The cake's done!"

“Wait, what?!” Troy gawked at the stallion as he went off to the kitchen, mostly since he wasn’t sure if he could eat anything else. "Nuh-uh!"

"Yeah-huh! It's chocolate too!"


By the time half of the cake was eaten (mostly on Canvas' part), the smell of bacon was partially masked by the aroma of chocolate. Because of that, Canvas felt a little more comfortable as he listened to Troy talk about his day. When he got to the part about what happened when he got home, Canvas couldn’t keep himself from laughing. Meanwhile, Troy just sat there with an embarrassed blush, which was almost deep enough to conceal his bashful smile.

"Seriously?!" exclaimed Canvas. "The whole weather team heard you?"

"Yeah…” Troy rubbed the feathers on the back of his neck. "Luckily, they weren't too mean about it. A lot of them actually said I should sing professionally."

"Dude, you totally should! I don’t see why you don't do that! In fact…” Canvas quickly lifted himself from his seat, and left Troy slightly confused as he rushed into his workspace.

After a few seconds, he came back with a flyer in his mouth, and hoofed it to Troy before sitting back down. "When I got back into town, I saw that the Ponyville Theater is planning to hold auditions for their next play in about a month."

Troy glossed through at the flyer, and then stared back at Canvas with a skewed brow. "Seriously? A musical?"

"Why not? I mean, it’s not like Ponyville has a singing ban like Griffinstone. I really think this would be great for you.”

Troy scoffed and placed the flier back on the table. "Ehhh… I don't think so."

Canvas tried not to look too sullen, but he still sighed dishearteningly. "Troy… Do you remember when you found that flyer for the art show, and how insistent you were that I should go for it?"

Troy held his beak shut as he looked away, already knowing where Canvas was going with this. His beak skewed uncomfortably, but he couldn’t say anything.

"Seriously, Troy... that was one of the best things that ever happened to me.” Canvas grabbed the flier off the table and stared at it. “And when I saw this flyer, I… well… I thought of you."

Troy slowly turned back to Canvas, and cringed at how upset he looked. One of the last things Troy wanted to do was disappoint his friend, especially after he cooked meat for him. Not to mention, he could tell that Canvas didn’t just keep that flier to catch his friend’s interest; he kept it because he really believed in Troy’s abilities as a singer, just like the gryphon believed in Canvas’ abilities as an artist.

So, with a low sigh, Troy closed his eyes and broke the silence. "Oh, fine. I… I’ll see if I can audition."

"Awesome!" Canvas suddenly looked ecstatic again, and cut another piece of cake. "You want another piece?"

Troy shook his head and held his claws to his stomach. "Dude, you did more than enough." Seeing how bloated his friend was looking, Canvas shrugged before going back to his own plate. Troy waited until Canvas finished his piece before speaking. "So, Canvas… Where did you learn to cook like that? I mean, I never saw you cook before."

"Well, I’ve never had a kitchen before,” he said nonchalantly, causing Troy to shrug with an understanding nod. “Honestly though, I mostly learned to cook for myself growing up, since I was at home alone so often."

"Seriously? Didn't your parents teach you to cook?"

"Well, not really…” Canvas’ voice became a little more somber. "Neither of them really knew how to cook, except for maybe those pre-made boxed dinners or whatever. And uhhh…” Looking down at the table, Canvas bit his lip, and then said in a quieter tone:

"... And.. my Mom, she… she died when I was a colt…”

The mood fell deathly silent across the dining table. Troy sunk his face into his claws in guilt. "Oh, buck! I'm sorry, Canvas, I shouldn't have asked! I'm really sor--"

"It's alright,” Canvas said in an instant, holding up his hoof. "I never told you about it, so you couldn't have known. I mean… If anything, I should've said something beforehoof."

Canvas pushed his plate aside. "Besides, it happened a long time ago. It's not like it happened last week or anything. I've gotten past it since then."

Unsure of what to say, Troy kept his beak shut as he looked down at his lap in remorse. Meanwhile, Canvas’ muzzle skewed a bit before he let out a weak exhale. "It.. it happened two weeks after she got me my art bag."

Both of them looked over at the bag, hanging on a hook between the kitchen and bathroom doors. After a few seconds, Canvas turned his attention back to Troy whilst squirming in his seat.

"She… she died of an aneurysm while walking through town. I… I was still in school when it happened." Canvas put a hoof to his mouth as he squeezed his eyes shut, trying not to tear up. "I… I remember hearing how much she was loved by everypony in town. She did a lot of volunteer work for the school and weather duties, and… it really hit everypony hard when it happened."

Troy hated to see him like this, but he knew that Canvas had to let it out. Birthday or not, the gryphon listened patiently while Canvas kept talking, even when he saw tears running down his friend’s aqua cheeks.

"I… I remember how that was one of the only times when ponies in town were legitimately nice to me. After the funeral… I was invited to a few dinners and stuff." After wiping his tears away, Canvas smiled a little. "Heck, even the ponies that usually messed with me backed off for a long time, but…” Canvas' smile slowly dropped. "... But that didn't last forever. After a while, I just kept to myself at home, either painting or reading. Eventually, I had to learn to cook something other than macaroni and cheese every night, and…”

Troy then noticed how much Canvas' muzzle wrinkled up all of a sudden. Before Troy could ask what was wrong, Canvas sighed softly with his eyes closed. "... And… my Dad, he… he wasn't home much after she died… We… We didn't talk much..."

Troy could tell that his friend wasn’t going to say much more, and waited only a moment responding with sincerity. "Canvas, I'm really sorry."

"Th-Thanks...” He wiped his face dry with a napkin, and tried to lighten the mood. "Heh~ Frankly, I should be the one apologizing. I didn't mean to bring this up on your birthday."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I already told you I don't see the point of these things anyway." Even with his comforting smile, Troy could tell that Canvas still felt bad. "Besides, I'm glad you're actually talking to me about this kind of stuff. I didn't know that much about your family, so…"

From the way Canvas' face scrunched in, Troy decided to change the subject before things got too awkward again. "So, ummm… you want me to tell you about my family?"

Canvas’ brows rose up in surprise. "Uhh… sure! I mean, as long as it isn’t too personal or anything.”

"Nah, it’s all good.” Troy put his claws on the table and tapped his talons against the wood, trying to think of a good place to start. "Well, uhh... my parents both work in the shipping industry. My Dad used to be a Brigadier General for the gryphon military, but he retired since then. Now he helps my Mom manage their company, which ships feathers to be used as quills."

"Oh, nice,” said Canvas with a look of interest as he leaned into the table. “Any siblings?”

"Mmhmm. I have four brothers.” Troy smiled more naturally as he leaned back in his chair. “My three older brothers are triplets, and my younger brother, Lyle, is still a kid, I guess. I'm the second youngest but… well… I'm kind of the runt of the group."

Canvas' eyes widened, and his eyes scanned the gryphon up and down. Between the two of them, their height differences were quite vast. “Ummm… Okay, I’m not gonna lie. I really can’t imagine you as a runt.”

"Oh yeah? You should see how big the triplets are!" Troy chuckled under his breath, and shook his head in nostalgia. "One of them, Blaze, is a professional Stormball player, although I think he's on break right now. Another, Blade, is the lead of a death metal band, but I doubt you heard of them."

"What are they called?"

"Gee, they keep changing their name, um… I think they're called Talon Ripper or something, but whatever. I'm not sure what Blane is doing right now, but he seems to be doing okay for himself. The last I heard, he actually bought a building to start up some business of some kind. I have no idea what, though."

Canvas’ eyebrow skewed, and his eyes narrowed on Troy suspiciously. "So let me get this straight… You have triplet brothers named Blaze, Blade, and Blane?" He tried to keep his expression stoic, but it was obvious from his hiccuping breaths that he was struggling not to laugh. Luckily for him, though, it was hard for Troy to get upset when he saw how quickly Canvas’ mood was lightening up.

"Yeah, my parents were pretty young when the three were hatched. Apparently, Mom was out of it after giving birth, so Dad had to name them himself."

Canvas folded his napkin as he tried not to chuckle, and put it on top of his abandoned plate. "So, do you talk with them much?"

Troy tried to look away from Canvas, but the pony could still see his smile slowly fading away. "Well… We try writing letters and stuff, but… things have been kinda tense for a while."

"How come?" Canvas didn't want to press anything, especially on his birthday; but after learning so much about his friend, the artist didn’t want their discussion to end so soon.

Troy sighed deeply. "Uhhh… I told you I was a runt, right? Well… because of that, I didn't have many friends growing up. So instead, I spent a lot of time with my grandparents."

Canvas could see sadness in Troy's golden eyes, but it wasn’t enough for him to ignore the faint smile that grew across his beak as well.

"I mean, they were awesome gryphons to hang out with, you know? Whenever I went to their place, they were always so accepting and kind to me. They also taught me a lot about opera, which is one of the reasons I got into it so much. And they… they were the biggest reason I wanted to come to Equestria."

"Really?" Canvas rested his head on his hooves. “How so?”

Troy’s smile widened, but he still refrained from looking back at Canvas as he continued. “I remember when I was still young, they always talked about how great Equestria was when they visited. They actually met at the Canterlot Concert Hall during a big opera performance, and fell in love instantly. Of course, that may have been because they were the only gryphons there, but still… They went to that hall a lot, since they were both ambassadors for the Gryphon Kingdom."

Canvas' eyes shot open. "Wait a minute!” The stallion stared at Troy like he just sprouted a third eye on his forehead. “Are you saying your grandparents are Niko and Helen Talonoch?!"

Troy almost fell out of his chair, and he gawked at Canvas with his beak dropped. "Yes! What the!? How the buck did you know that?!"

"Oh my gosh, I did a research paper about them during my junior year of high school!" Canvas’ floored expression quickly morphed to an elated smile, and he hopped off his chair to pace around the room. "Holy crap, those guys did so much to help stop the Gryphon-Equestrian conflicts! If it wasn’t for them, you likely wouldn’t have been able to move to Equestria in the first place! Oh man, I can’t believe I'm friends with their grandson!"

Troy wasn’t sure how to react to such a revelation, but he couldn’t help smiling with a touched blush. “W-Wow, I… I didn’t know you were so well-versed in Gryphon Kingdom history.”

"Are you kidding me? That paper was one of the reasons I got accepted into advanced classes! I mean, I even tried contacting them for an interview, but…”

Canvas suddenly stopped talking, and his smile dropped like a brick. One of his hooves came up to cover his mouth. He slowly turned back to Troy, who immediately looked a lot more distressed. The pony looked away with his ears dropped, and he spoke sympathetically. "I'm… I'm sorry, Troy. I didn't mea--"

Troy held up his claws, and took that moment to breathe in deeply. "It's okay. It happened a while ago."

Despite the fact that Troy used his own response back at him, Canvas could tell he was still upset. Meanwhile, Troy looked away before continuing in a more solemn tone.

"I remember… how devastated she was when he died… You could tell how much she loved him. And I mean, really loved him! Like, gryphons don't usually express their love that much, but they… they didn't care about standards like that. They really cared for each other all those years, and… it was just so painful when he passed."

Canvas quietly sat back in his chair, not saying a word.

"I mean, she was so lively and cheerful before, but… after the funeral… she just turned silent. She barely spoke to anyone for that month afterward. Not… not even me..." Canvas thought he could see Troy's eyes moisten. "She… she just gave up. We all knew she had some medical problems before, but… as soon as that happened, the doctors couldn't do anything to help her. It just… it was advancing so quickly."

Troy looked at his satchel lying on the ground, and his new walkman sticking out of it. Thinking about the tape inside, Troy clenched his beak shut for a moment to process his thoughts.

"She… she loved opera. Even when I was a hatchling, she loved that I appreciated it at such a young age. But I… I remember on one of the last days…”

Troy put a claw up to his beak, and held it there so Canvas couldn’t see it tremble. "We… We all knew it was going to happen, but most of the family had other things to do. When I visited her, she was all alone, just lying in her bed... silent. And when I looked around, I saw that one of her records was completely worn out. I mean, she had that record for years, but I guess she kept playing it constantly after he passed. And eventually, she just wore down the vinyl completely. Her… her favorite song was Ave Maria."

Troy looked down, probably to keep Canvas from seeing his face. But it was to no avail, for the stallion could see a tear running down Troy’s cheek. "I knew she was alone for a while, so… I started to sing it for her. I didn't even think I could sing it well, but… I just sang it while she laid there. I… I remember I kept my eyes closed during the whole song. I didn’t think she was going to respond but..."

A second tear of Troy's hit the table. "W-When I opened my eyes, that… that was the first time I saw her smile since he died. She just… she looked so happy."

Canvas hoofed Troy a napkin, which he quickly grabbed to wipe his eyes.

"Thanks... Anyway, after she died, I didn't expect much to happen for me. I was taking a few exams to get approved for a living permit for Equestria, even though both my parents didn't want me to leave. I think they were worried about how I would adjust. I dunno for sure. But then, when we went to the reading of her will she… she left most of her money to me."

Canvas' head reeled back in surprise. Thanks to his research paper, he was aware of how well-off the Talonochs were. "Wait, seriously?!"

"Yeah,” said Troy, a new smile on his beak as he kept wiping his face. "Everyone was freakin’ shocked! Especially my brothers, who all refused to speak to me for a while. I didn't get everything, but I still got more than enough to make it easy to move here. After I got approved, I moved here. They were still upset with me at that point. I mean… I think they got over it now, but it still feels tense."

A deep silence passed through the room. Canvas was quick to fill the void. "I'm… I'm sorry, Troy."

"It's cool, dude. I'm actually kind of glad to talk about it, you know? Like, it’s probably cheaper than a therapist session or something?"

“Not to mention, I doubt many therapists would have cake and bacon as well.” That got both of them laughing again, which helped to uplift the mood. Canvas then glanced over at the wall clock without much thought. Upon seeing how close it was to ten, the stallion gasped in a panic and jumped out of his chair. Troy did a double-take upon seeing his friend’s frantic behavior, and remained in his chair even when Canvas was at the stairs.

"Troy!” he shouted, looking back at him wide-eyed. “Meet me on the roof!"

"What?"

"Just meet me up there! Trust me!"

Despite his confusion, Troy was quick to hop out of his seat and head to the door. The gryphon figured that after what Canvas promised the last time he trusted him, this would be worth his time as well.


In less than a couple of seconds, Troy flew up to the barn roof. He noticed the large wall of paint cans along the side of the barn, and groaned when he remembered what Canvas said about needing help with painting. The pony may have not asked him directly as of yet, but he could already tell that he would likely have to help out. Of course, after that meal Canvas prepared, it wasn't like he could say no without feeling like a massive jerk.

After carefully landing on the roof, Troy saw a hatch door a few feet away open up. Canvas crawled up with a large blanket in his mouth, which did nothing to cover the smile on his face. When he saw Troy already there, Canvas’ smile widened. He whipped the blanket open with a flick of his neck, and let it gently land on the roof. Meanwhile, Troy looked around worriedly as his paranoia got the best of him, and he began to feel the same as he did when he flew to Canvas’ place earlier. Despite knowing better than to make assumptions about his friend’s plans, Troy tried not to ponder whether Lyra and Rainbow Dash's suspicions were for real.

Canvas sat himself down on the blanket, and looked up at the night sky while Troy stood in confusion. But before he could ask what was up, a faint flash of light flew by from the corner of Troy's eye. As soon as the stars above caught his attention, Troy looked up and instantly understood Canvas’ intentions. The gryphon’s eyes widened in awe, and he gently sat beside Canvas without saying a word. They both looked to see the first few beams of light shoot past them. Troy remembered hearing something about this happening today, but he forgot all about it until now. A smile grew across Troy’s beak, and he couldn’t have felt more grateful to be there.

Above the land of Equestria, under Luna's brilliant night skies, the gryphon and the stallion sat motionless as they watched the meteor shower flash above their heads. From the roof of Canvas' barn, both of them could get a perfect view of the hundreds of bright lights that soared across the cosmos, gracing the skies as they shot forward toward infinity. Troy looked up at the spectacle in silent amazement, an incredible warmth stirring in his heart.

Troy’s gaze slowly veered back toward Canvas, where he was able to observe the flashes reflecting off the pony's blue eyes. The sight caused his feathers to ruffle out ever so slightly, but he was quick to fix that with a hard shudder to pull them back in. That heaviness in his chest was still there, but he couldn’t feel a twinge of discomfort like he had before. Instead, all that Troy felt was something more… content, in a weird way. He wasn’t sure how to describe it, but it was more than enough to make him smile alongside his friend. Meanwhile, the stallion looked back at him with a smile of his own as he said quietly:

"Happy Birthday."

Seeing how peaceful the aqua pony looked in the moonlight, the warm smile on Troy's beak grew wider as well.

"Thanks. This was a great day."

As both of them looked back up at the shooting stars, one of Troy’s wings reached out to wrap around Canvas' back. Canvas slowly rested his head against Troy's shoulder, and savored his warmth.

Author's Note:

Just so any newer readers are aware, I've recently been undergoing a big project to turn the Brushed Away series into physical books for individual sale. Because of that, I just wanted to make a quick note for which chapters have been revised so far, including this one.

I want to give my deepest thanks, as well as some well-deserved credit to my followers helping me out with this process, as well as Double R. Forrest for their proofreading credits. And if anyone is interested in helping out with making this project a reality, I highly recommend checking out my Official Ko-Fi page dedicated to it.

PreviousChapters Next