• Published 13th Feb 2012
  • 40,896 Views, 3,010 Comments

The Ballad of Echo the Diamond Dog - Rust



A human finds himself in Equestria... He decides to forsake Ponyville and see the world instead.

  • ...
125
 3,010
 40,896

(Epilogue) Another Message From Echo

EPILOGUE


ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM ECHO

Dear Reader,

Seasons come and go. Tides rise and recede. The moon has its phases, and even the stars don't last forever.

At the end of my own time, before the bridge between this world and the next, I write down the story of my life. My baptism in the rainforest was many years in the past, and as I have aged, I found that my memory has begun to slip. This helps me remember the lessons I have learned, the faces I've seen and places I've been.

My coat is streaked with white, now. My joints are old and creaky. But this old dog isn't done yet. Oh, no.

Did you think I was going to end my story there?

My legacy is longer than that, I assure you. What I have written so far is but a piece of the puzzle that my life became. Battles fought, sunsets watched, love won and lost...some call me a living legend for doing so much. I have other names, to be sure.

The Halfwolf.

Silent One.

Beta.

Ghostclaws.

Number 46.

Alpha.

Friend of the Family.

Student.

Father.

Ambassador.

Son.

Lover.

Friend.

The Dane's Bane.

Traitor.

Slave.

But you can call me Echo. It's my name, or at least the one I chose for myself. And if there's any lesson you should learn from me, it's this: don't let the facts get mixed up with the truth. But I digress. My bones are weary and these eyes aren't what they used to be. So before I forget...

Let me tell you the rest of my tale...


Author: Fear not! The sequel shall come! I shall be posting the link in a subsequent chapter once I've written the first few parts and had them sufficiently edited. Any information about it you can find HERE!

Don't expect it for a while, though.

I suppose I should say a few words, or something like that. It sort of feels like i'm losing a friend by wrapping this story up. It was a first for me, in a lot of ways. It was my first featured work, that I suppose brought me into the limelight as a moderately-known author. It's featured on Equestria Daily! Holy tits, was that the best day of my life when I saw it up there! Writing became a habit for me (both good and bad) thanks to this fic, and I must admit, I had a lot of fun writing it.

I'd like to thank anyone who ever offered me criticism. It was you who helped me develop this story better than I could ever have imagined.

I'd like to thank all of those who submitted fan art. I was completely blown away by it - truly, to the core. You guys gave my work a face, and something to represent it by.

I'd like to thank my Supreme Master Lord Chief Editor, Nathan Traveler, for being a total douche canoe, riding my ass about the terrible writing I dare create in hilarious and unpredictable ways.

And, I'd like to thank myself, for losing that ridiculous bet I took so long ago that resulted in my entrance to writing fanfiction.


Damn, I'm good.

Comments ( 189 )

Well, looking forward to the continuation then. Hope it comes soon!

noooooooooooooooo
oh wait a sequel yay

I sense awesome approaching.:pinkiehappy: Good luck on the sequel! I have a feeling you'll need it.

I know you love curves and twists... But I hope it's Daring. She seems like the type for Echo, though there's certainly slap-slap-kiss with Ginger. She knows why things happened so she shouldn't still hate Diamond Dogs.

But no matter. It was an amazing ride. I look forward to more and more. May you become greater than FOE, and hailed as you deserve.

aww, looking forward to little pony-dog hybrids scurrying about :rainbowlaugh:

All I can say is, the sequel had better be sufficiently fucking epic.

Number 46.
Methinks this has something to do with the amount of humans sent to Equestria.
Anyways, I look forward to reading this new series, "Forward onto the new dawn" as they say

753565
(\ *internet brohoof FTW*
753579
God dammit. Not again...

Number 46 -
The Black Vault?

753633
Psh, naw. It's just my lucky number. But it will have some significance later on. I'll give you a spoiler. The name of a future chapter.

..."At the Dog Track"

753608

I completely agree with this.

753645
Well, I know who my money is on.

Excellent ending. Actually I may have to pass up on the sequel, I kind of like this story as it is.

Thank you for a brilliant story Rust, I can honestly say that this has been one of the most enjoyable fanfics I've read to date, and I've read a whole damn lot.

I'm very much looking forward to the (hopefully) many sequels and great stories to come. :twilightsmile:

753696
I have one thing to say about that.

"That which is dead may rise."

I am sad to see this finish, but excited to see a sequel.

I will be eagerly anticipating your next tale.

You sir. Take my moustaches. All of them. My many Moustache Seals of Approval.

I cannot wait for the sequel. This story had me riding a complete emotional rollercoaster with every chapter you wrote so well. There's nothing left to be said about its excellence that I haven't said before. I just wish I could be half the writer you are.

:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

753716

Hey it's not my fault you wrapped everything up neatly. I'll might read it for more awesome Daring x Echo relationship stuff but, I don't think it'll be the same.

Also totally don't get the reference but I can guess.

753729
Actually, that's not a reference...IT'S A SPOILER.

The Epilogue... Holy crap dude... :twilightoops:

753736

Ahhh.

Well done nonetheless. Enjoy your accolades, you certainly deserve them. Hope your next project has as much passion as this one.

Awesome a sequel can't wait it's sure to be good. You've really created a great world here there's even a community for fic's that place in it. it's called chess game of gods. How do you feel about all that?

753760
I feel one part disturbed, two parts honored, three parts "are you fucking serious?", four parts disbelief, and five parts could-care-less.

how do I know I enjoy a fic, whether or not I'm smiling by the end of it:pinkiehappy:

Mate I really like how you end this story! It makes me excited for more!! Expect more fan art from me!!! And by the way....do you need any map references for Equestria? Because I know a friend who made a map, Hlissner is his name......

Rust. If the sequel isn't the best fucking thing ever, you'd better hope you can run fast. Because I own a gun.

And just like that, it's done. Can't wait for the sequel, but it just seems sort of odd that the story is splitting into a sequel.
All in all though, this was a fucking amazing story. HURRY WITH THE SEQUEL! :pinkiehappy:

I do have one question, though. Will Griffin appear again? I want to see more of him :twilightsmile:

EDIT: I read the sequel plans, and I see why it's being broken into a sequel. Third person, all the characters and all that.

I await adventure. Don't torture me by making the wait too long.

Those names he has... all there is to say is NUGGETS! Number 46: Prisoner or test subject. Alpha: Farewell Ginger we shall miss you. Ghostclaws: Yay! More glowing magic claws! Father: My comment on previous chapter. Son: ...? Traitor: wut? ... I almost don't want to know... Slave: AW COME ON! Give this guy a break!

YAY!! A sequel cant wait :pinkiehappy:

After reading this, I got the same feeling that I had on THREE other occasions.

1- The final Star Trek movie featuring The Next Gen cast.

2- The last ever Stargate episode.

3- When season 2 of our much loved show came to an end.

I couldn't be happier, knowing that there's still more to come, yet we're at an end. I look forward for the sequel, and it's sequels, when they are released. Good luck to you dude, live long and prosper.

Hee hee hee hee! Excited as a French cup of water for the sequel. This fic was, in a word; Amazing. Funny but serious in al the right places, Clever dialogue, intriguing character development and great pretence for the future. Major shame about his claws though, I miss them already. How can he dig or run on all fours now :o Alas, I'm gunna stick with this till the end. Good hunting.

Thy legacy shall live on in the reality of the game of gods you created.

This story has been groundbreaking from the get-go, and while I'm sad to see it end I am glad that you've decided to write more about Echo in the future.

5/5 stars and my heartiest congratulations.

753894
You have no idea how long I've wanted to use that one.

But i dont want it to end :fluttercry:

This was damn epic and I cannot wait for the sequel. Good luck and good writing.

Can not wait for the sequel!! :pinkiehappy:

Tyr

I think you forgot 'Fluffy'

Wait, so is this "Chess game" thing a crapload of alt universes?

Hahaha! I knew you wouldnt kill this story line off!

and thus we find ourselves on the brink of a new frontier. the next story, the next installment, the next tale. I eagerly await what is to come, and what will happen (although I do want to see Disaray's meeting with his mother). Great job with this, keep goin and stay golden^^

753538 I thought it was MISTER Doctor Supreme Master Lord Chief Editor

I almost fucking cried when I read this epilogue.

Damn you're good.

:moustache:

Login or register to comment