• Published 15th May 2013
  • 4,269 Views, 217 Comments

The Princess of Themyscira - iowaforever



Soarin' meets Diana, daughter of Hippolyta and Princess of Themyscira

  • ...
6
 217
 4,269

A Gift From The Gods

A Gift From The Gods

The first thing Soarin’ was aware of was that his head hurt. Yes, the rest of his body hurt too, but his head more than anything. He tried to open his eyes, but the attempt left him feeling like somepony had stabbed him in the face. He groaned and rolled over, burying his face in the loose sand beneath his head.

Wait, sand?

Soarin’ managed to open his eyes and pulled his head up. He was lying facedown in fine white sand, small grains cascading off his body. He blinked again and looked around, trying his best to determine where in Equestria he was.

He was lying on a beach, a calm breeze causing waves to lap at his rear legs. Up the beach was a forest, large trees blocking out most of Soarin’s vision. He groaned again, pushing up against the ground and steadying himself on achy legs.

“Well... This is definitely not Manehattan.” he muttered. “I suppose I should get flying if I want to-” he was interrupted by something blunt slamming into the back of his head. Soarin’ tumbled forward, his fatigued body unable to support himself as he tried to regain his balance. Face down once again, he groaned and tried to get up, but stopped when something pressed into his back right between his wings.

Soarin’ looked back as best he could and gasped. Standing over him was a mare, her hoof pressed into his back to prevent him from moving. She had a red coat and black mane, and she was dressed in a white tunic that covered much of her body. On her forelegs were two metal bracelets, and a bronze tipped spear was resting in the sand just out of reach. He tried to say something, but the mare pressed into his back with her hoof before speaking.

“What are you doing here, stallion of Equestria?”

...................

One thousand and one years earlier

She was born in the temple of Athena. It was long, drawn out, and had thrown the moon cycle into flux, but in the end she was born strong. Now, her mother was resting, and while she rested others came to pay their respects. As gods came and went, guards from Themyscira’s Amazons, some of the greatest warriors in the world, stood vigilant and alert, ready to defend the resting goddess and her new daughter.

However, one of the guards, a tan unicorn dressed in armor befitting her station as Queen, had allowed her mind to wander. Every now and then she would look back towards the temple, a sad smile gracing her lips. She was careful not allow her fellow Amazons to see her break her composure, less they think ill of her intentions.

Mi Amore Cadenza, Daughter of Luna, Hippolyta thought as she stood before one of the pillars of the temple. It has a nice sound to it, I guess. She sighed and allowed her gaze to wander back towards the temple, columns of marble blocking much of her view.

“Strange, to see one’s attention so rattled by a single foal.” Hippolyta snapped back around just as a white alicorn with grey eyes landed in front of her, a small owl joining it’s master soon after.

“Lady Athena.” Hippolyta said, kneeling slightly. “Forgive me, but it has been some time since-”

“There is no need to apologize, Hippolyta. I am not an enforcer of proper etiquette.” The Goddess of Wisdom chuckled as she took a place next to Hippolyta.

“Should you not go and see if Luna is alright?” Hippolyta asked.

“There will be a time for that, my friend. She has just birthed a wonderful little filly; the last thing she needs is for me to come and rouse her just to make sure she is ‘alright’.”

“I suppose.” There was silence for a few moments before Athena spoke.

“Why are you upset?”

“Upset?” Hippolyta turned towards Athena. “I am not upset, my lady. A good friend of mine has given birth to a healthy filly, so why should I be upset?” Athena was not convinced.

“You always were a terrible liar, Hippolyta. Now tell me, what is upsetting you?” Hippolyta started to speak, but froze.

“... You know of the circumstances of my arrival, do you not?”

“Of course. You were the first of the Amazons I recruited, after all.” Athena looked away. “And I am sorry that I could not save your daughter.”

“I know.” the Queen of the Amazons sighed. “For many years I never thought of it, but when Luna learned she was with child... I could not hide from it any more. At times I would wake up expecting to see a foal curled up against my body, but when I did not... it was terrible. I-I hate to admit it... but I think I am jealous of Luna.”

“Jealous?”

“Yes. I feel awful just thinking about it; Luna is a good friend of mine, and I have no reason to hate her. But... At times I have caught myself wondering why she can have a foal and I cannot. It is a foolish grudge, but it is still there.” there was another pause. “I... I am sorry for troubling you with my petty desires. I shall return to guard duty.” Hippolyta turned to leave, but stopped when she felt Athena’s hoof touch her shoulder.

“I cannot allow you to continue on like this, Hippolyta. Your misery will only spread, and soon it may come to dominate you.”

“I know. But I cannot abandon my sisters and run off to fulfil my own selfish desires; that would be dishonorable and against all that I stand for as Queen.”

“I never said that was what you must do. Now sit and listen to me, for I have a way to alleviate your suffering.” Hippolyta paused before sitting. Athena fluffed her wings before continuing. “Fast for seven days, and then leave Themyscira. Travel alone, and do not tell anypony else of where you are going.”

“Why? Surely my sisters-”

“Would only try to stop you.” Hippolyta started to object, but Athena raised a hoof to silence her. “I do not doubt the trust you have between your fellow Amazons, but this is a matter that you must handle alone. Now, collect enough clay and other pliable materials to make a sculpture, and you must collect enough by the time the sun is at it’s highest. Sculpt the clay into the shape of a filly, and then pray for the gods’ guidance and favor.”

“But-”

“No more questions, Hippolyta.” Athena rose and turned to leave. “I must return to Olympus. I shall be back for Luna once she recovers.” With that Athena took flight, disappearing into the night sky. Hippolyta stood in silence for a few moments, watching the spot where the goddess had vanished, before groaning and sitting down once more.

“I am an idiot.” she muttered, resting her head in her hooves. “What kind of ruler am I if I allow my personal issues to interfere with how I lead my sisters?” She sighed and hung her head, her eyes closed. She stayed like that for some time before turning her head back towards the temple, straining her ears for any sound. In the back of her mind she saw the image of a sleeping filly, snuggled up against her mother’s side. She sighed again and stood, returning to her guard position.

“I will try Athena’s plan. Hopefully it will bear fruit.”

....................

Hippolyta started out just before dawn on the Seventh Day, armed only with a bowl, some water, a small shovel, and a bottle of wine as an offering to the gods should the process fail. None of her fellow Amazons took notice, so she was able to slip into the forest surrounding the city with little difficulty. She avoided using any of the major paths, instead slogging through the woods and brush. She walked for almost an hour before reaching a small dirt clearing, a collection of stones off to one side.

“This will do.” She said to herself before setting her supplies down. Grabbing her shovel, she began to dig small holes in the clearing, searching for clay and moist soil. Hours dragged by as she worked, and soon a small pile of clay and soil was collected in her bowl. Hippolyta wiped sweat and dirt off her brow before sinking her hooves into the clay, mixing and molding the substance as best she could.

Time dragged on, and Celestia’s Sun was high in the sky. Hippolyta was not the best at sculpting, and several times she had to start over from scratch. A lesser mare would have given up by now, but Hippolyta was an Amazon; she would not be deterred by such setbacks. Just as the sun reached its zenith, she finished her work; sitting before her was a foal shaped lump of clay and silt, not the most elegant of crafts but it would be sufficient. Wiping away more sweat, more from nervousness rather than fatigue, she took the sculpture and placed it upon the flattest rock she could find, setting the wine down next to it in preparation.

“Gods of Olympus,” she prayed, her head turned skyward. “Hear me now, your servant, and grant me this one request. For many years I have served you faithfully and without rest, through many trials and tribulations. I thank you for giving me the strength and skill to be the Queen of Themyscira, and I thank you for the knowledge and camaraderie I have drawn from my sisters.

“But now, I ask you for one thing. Before I was brought into your service, I was struck down in a fit of rage... as was the filly resting inside me.” Hippolyta closed her eyes and hung her head. “I do not wish to judge your will, O Gods, but was not that foal also lost to the rages of stallions, much as I was? Should she not be given a second chance at life, in service to you?

“If I am deemed worthy of your favor, send this child back to me. Give her a chance to serve you in all that she does, and let me raise her as my own daughter. Gods, I beg of you, send her back to me.” there was silence, with only a small breeze rushing through the leaves. Hippolyta opened her eyes and looked to the sky, seeing nothing. She looked down at the sculpture, which had begun to dry in the sun. Sensing that the process had failed, Hippolyta sighed and hung her head.

“I suppose I have been deemed unworthy.” She said, rising to her hooves and reaching for the wine. “I should be heading back before the others begin to-” Hippolyta stopped when she noticed the breeze getting stronger. Above her dark clouds began to form, Celestia’s Sun disappearing behind them. Hippolyta searched the clearing for some kind of weapon, but saw only the shovel she had brought. Rather than running, Hippolyta planted her hooves and drew upon whatever combat spell she could think of as more clouds began to gather, the wind whipping up dust and leaves around her.

Above her, the clouds had grown dark, save for six lights. The lights briefly took the shape of six objects; a star, an apple, a butterfly, a gem, a celebratory globe, and a lightning bolt. The lights collected into one single ball before shooting towards the ground in a solid column, the force of impact knocking Hippolyta halfway across the clearing. Instinct took over and Hippolyta curled herself up into a ball to shield herself from the blast, rock and dirt raining down upon her. The beam held position for several seconds before disappearing, small bolts of energy winking out of existence.

Hippolyta rose, shaking the dirt off herself. She searched around for signs of danger, but all she saw was smoke from the blast... and she heard crying. Hippolyta rushed forward, dropping most of her defenses before she reached the crater. Lying in the crater created by the blast was a newborn filly, crying in confusion and fear. She had a brilliant red coat and raven-black mane, and a pair of sky blue eyes cloudy from tears.

“By the gods!” Hippolyta leapt into the crater, scooping up the filly once she reached the bottom. The filly’s crying dissipated slightly once she was tucked in Hippolyta’s forelegs, but even then she tried to squirm away from the older mare. Hippolyta began to stroke the filly’s mane, trying her best to calm her down.

“It’s okay, little one; I am here. Your mother is here for you.” She stroked the filly once more, and soon the young pony began to calm down. “Be at ease. I am here, and you are safe. Please, little one, there is no need to cry... Please.” the filly’s crying had been reduced to sniffles, and she was now staring up in wonder at Hippolyta. “I promise you, I will guide you and love you with all my heart. You are my gift from the gods...” she leaned down and nuzzled the filly, the young pony smiling. “And I will always love you, no matter what.”

................

Two months had passed by. Surprisingly the other Amazons had welcomed the filly, whom Hippolyta had named Diana, and none had raised major objections. Some held reservations, and others had issues with a curious little filly running around Themyscira. Still, Hippolyta was able to keep Diana’s antics in check, and she always made sure that at least two of her guards were watching the filly if she was not present.

“If you don’t mind me saying, my lady,” said Hippolyta’s captain of the guard, Phillipus, as the two watched Diana as the filly explored the armory. “But policing your daughter has put some strain on the others.”

“I know, but the other alternative is leaving her unattended.”

“Or you could just keep her with you at all times.” Hippolyta turned towards Phillipus, one eyebrow raised. “... That is what I would do.”

“That would be repressing her too much." Hippolyta said, shaking her head. "She needs a chance to explore and learn what is right and what is wrong.”

“She might hurt herself.”

“We are watching her, and it will take a lot to hurt her.” Hippolyta was interrupted by a crash. She and Phillipus turned to see that Diana had knocked over a stack of spears and was now tugging at one, lines of slobber dripping down the shaft of the weapon.

“If she did inherit something from you, my lady, it was not your grace.” Hippolyta swatted Phillipus with her tail and hurried over to Diana, using her telekinesis to pull the spear out of the filly’s mouth.

“No no, Diana; you are too young to begin weapons training.” Diana blinked before sitting back on her hind legs, pouting. “Do not give me that look, Diana. You are still young, and I do not wish for you to seriously injure yourself or one of your sisters.”

“I thought you said it would take some work to hurt her.” Phillipus muttered.

“That’s enough, Phillipus.” Hippolyta turned her attention back to the pouting filly before her. “Now Diana, do not act like this. I promise you that I will train you all that I know, once you come of age. I promise that you will become one of the finest mares in the world, and I will guide you and nurture you throughout your life.” Hippolyta smiled. “Would you like that?” Diana blinked again before smiling, getting back on all four hooves and running over to hug Hippolyta.

“That’s better.” Hippolyta said, picking up the filly and returning to Phillipus. “See? She is not too much trouble.”

“You say that now, my lady, but wait until she comes of age.”

.......................

Ten Months Later

Themyscira lay in ruins. In the central plaza Amazons clashed with the Forces of Nightmare, the invaders grinding against the defenders in arduous melee. Wanton acts of destruction had slowed the enemy advance and allowed the Amazons a chance to regroup.

Hippolyta stood alone on the steps of the Temple of Athena, her sword clutched in her magical aura. Her armor was split in several places and she was covered in blood, most of it not her own, and her right foreleg bore a deep gash just below the shoulder. Hovering before her was the enemy, a black alicorn in silver armor who sneered as Hippolyta prepared herself.

“Why do you oppose me, Hippolyta?” Nightmare Moon asked. “You know that you cannot win here.”

“An Amazon never surrenders!” Hippolyta shouted, raising her sword into a guard position. “And I would rather die than see you desecrate this sacred ground!”

“You know that the destruction of Themyscira is not my goal. You know what I want.” Nightmare Moon summoned her own sword, aiming it at Hippolyta. “Give me my daughter. Now.”

“I cannot do that.” Hippolyta growled, causing Nightmare Moon's eyes to flare with rage.

“You dare to defy me?”

“I have defied enemies much more powerful than you, and I tell you I cannot release Princess Cadenza to you.”

“Then I shall have to take her away by force.” Nightmare Moon lunged forward, swinging her sword in a downward arc. Hippolyta dodged to the side and parried, pulling back as Nightmare Moon swung at her head once more.

“Please, Luna, I beg of you; cease this foolishness.”

“Do not. Call me. Luna!” Nightmare Moon bellowed, firing a spell at Hippolyta. The Amazon Queen raised her forelegs, the spell reflecting harmlessly off her bracelets. “I am Nightmare Moon, the true heir to Equestria’s legacy. For too long you and the others have shunned me, and now all of Olympus shall fear my wrath!” She launched another spell, more powerful this time, but again Hippolyta deflected the attack. Nightmare Moon charged forward once more, but Hippolyta was able to leap over the mad goddess and land a strike on her leg. Nightmare Moon wheeled around and kicked, her hooves catching Hippolyta and knocking her back. “Now, release my daughter!”

“I cannot.” Nightmare Moon snarled and raised her sword, but Hippolyta kept speaking. “I cannot release her... because she is not here.” This caught Nightmare Moon’s attention. She stopped her strike, lowering her sword and glaring at Hippolyta.

“... What?”

“Princess Cadenza has not been on Themyscira for almost two days. Celestia came and spirited her away when she was informed that you were looking for her. She is with ponies who will actually care for her rather than squandering everything on petty grudges.” Hippolyta smirked. “How does it feel, ‘Nightmare Moon’, to know that your entire invasion of Themyscira was a complete waste of resources and time?” Nightmare Moon ground her teeth together, failing to suppress her rage.

“I grow tired of your insolence. You die now!”

“No!” a third voice called out before a red streak pounced on Nightmare Moon. Startled, the goddess twisted around as Diana clambered over her back, swatting and kicking. “No!”

“What?! Get off me!” Nightmare Moon shrieked.

“No!” Diana cried again as she began tugging at Nightmare Moon’s wing.

“I said get off!” Nightmare Moon flared her wings and bucked, but Diana had a death grip on the mare’s back.

“No!”

“Get! Off!” Nightmare Moon finally managed to dislodge Diana from her back, sending the little filly flying. Hippolyta reached out with her magic, catching Diana before she hit the ground and placing the filly gently next to her. Once she was sure Diana was safe, Hippolyta rushed forward and slammed into Nightmare Moon, her sword clashing against the goddess’ armor. Nightmare Moon tried to grab at Hippolyta, but the smaller mare ducked under the attack and kicked her opponent in the side. Enraged, Nightmare Moon began to swing wildly, Hippolyta parrying and blocking as best she could. Finally she saw another opening and kicked, nailing Nightmare Moon in the chest and knocking her back.

“It would have been wise if you had kept your little parasite away from here.” Nightmare Moon growled.

“Diana is as much an Amazon as I am,” Hippolyta countered, standing over the filly to shield her. “She is defending her home and her sisters, and I shall not deny her that chance.”

“No!” Diana snapped, glaring at Nightmare Moon.

“... Very well. I shall have to kill you both!” Nightmare Moon raised her sword once more, but before she could attack she was struck by a bolt of grey magic, her weapon shattering into thousands of shards.

ENOUGH!” Athena bellowed as she descended from the clouds. “Cease this foolishness, Luna!”

“Oh, you would like that, Athena.” Nightmare Moon sneered. “You would like me to just give up and apologize, so you can better assert your control over me.”

“I just want you to be safe, Luna.” Athena took a step towards the dark alicorn, Hippolyta and Diana staying behind.

“You say that now," Nightmare Moon said, her glare intensifying. "But I know better. You always loved Celestia more than me-”

“How can you say that?" Athena asked, her voice filled with hurt. "I raised you two since you were fillies. I saved your lives during the War in Heaven. I would never show any favoritism toward either you or Celestia.”

“Do not lie to me!” Nightmare Moon planted her hooves and flared her wings. “I know the truth. You don’t care about me, you don’t even care about Celestia! We’re all pawns to you, are we not?”

“Nopony is my pawn, Luna. I love you as my daughter, and I would never try to harm you or manipulate you.”

“More lies.” Nightmare Moon began to draw in power of an attack. “You know that I am not your daughter, and you have already harmed me by stealing my own daughter from me! I am tired of being manipulated in this way!” Nightmare Moon fired her spell, but Athena easily reflected the spell back at the dark alicorn. Nightmare Moon had little time to react before being struck by her own attack, tumbling down the steps of the temple.

“Did you really think you could face me in combat, ‘Nightmare Moon’? Your corruption has made you weak, not to mention delusional. Please.” Athena descended towards Nightmare Moon. “Stop this now... for all of us.”

“No...” Nightmare Moon pulled herself back to her hooves. “No! I shall not be drawn in by any more of your lies! I will show you that I cannot be defeated so easily!” Nightmare Moon’s horn shimmered again, but instead of attacking she and her army disappeared, Themyscira growing quiet as the sounds of battle died.

“No.” Diana chirped, fixing her gaze at the spot where Nightmare Moon had vanished. Hippolyta allowed a small chuckle, but quickly set those thoughts aside as she looked to Athena

“If she was really trying to prove herself, why didn’t she attack?” Hippolyta asked.

“Most likely she is pursuing Celestia; after all, Nightmare Moon believes that she has Princess Cadenza.” Athena sighed. “I only hope that Celestia can use the Elements of Harmony and redeem Luna.”

“I hope so too.” Hippolyta looked down, finally noticing the wound on her leg. “I should find an apothecary before this wound gets any worse.”

“Indeed. I cannot linger, less my presence draw Nightmare Moon back to Themyscira.” Athena spread her wings and rose up into the air. “I must say, your daughter has a great fighting spirit for somepony that age.”

“And I was dreading the day when she learned to say 'no'." Hippolyta replied. "Hopefully she learns to keep her spirit under control.”

“You are her mother; I have no doubt she will.” Athena vanished, leaving Hippolyta alone with Diana. The older mare looked down at her daughter, the little filly smiling widely.

“That was very dangerous, Diana; you could have gotten yourself hurt or worse killed.” Diana blinked in confusion. “... But you were also very brave; few ponies would willingly risk their lives to save somepony else, and I am proud that you possess that spirit.”

“Ma.” the filly squeaked, nuzzling Hippolyta’s leg. Hippolyta chuckled before scooping Diana up in her good foreleg and placing the filly on her back. Once she was sure Diana was secured, Hippolyta left the temple and headed into the main city, searching for any other Amazons that might also be injured.

Author's Note:

I've noticed that DC crossovers here are not all that common, and I have yet to see a Wonder Woman crossover. So here's my take on Diana's origins (and I chose to ponify Diana rather than use one of the mane 6 so I didn't have to rehash the 'Character X finds out she's really a Y' plot, which I used in Mare of Steel). The main plot will pick up in a chapter or two.
I don't own My Little Pony or Wonder Woman; they belong to Hasbro and DC (or whoever owns the rights to Wonder Woman). Likes and comments are appreciated, and if I screwed something up please let me know.