• Published 13th May 2013
  • 5,515 Views, 353 Comments

Free to Fly - I am not a Dalek



Sequel to Trapped. Rainbow Dash and Soarin' are both out of the hospital, and have one month to spare before Soarin' returns to the Wonderbolts HQ.

  • ...
5
 353
 5,515

The Sound of The Screams

Chapter 5- The Sound of The Screams

Soarin’ moves from beneath me, jolting me awake, I look around in confusion to find that we are still on the roof of my house, and it’s only around midday.

“Soar?” I sit up and find him looking out at Ponyville.

He turns to face me slightly, a sad smile across his face. Slowly, I move over to him and wrap a wing around him. The air around us is still and warm, the sun shines down on our backs as we gaze out over my home town. I wait patiently for Soarin’ to tell me what is bothering him.

“The other ‘Bolts are leaving on Tuesday, do you mind if we spend today with them?” Soarin’ leans against me slightly.

I laugh softly. “Of course you can, you silly filly. Are you sure you want me to come?” I raise an eyebrow at him. “I mean, if it’s personal I can hang back a bit.”

Soarin’ shakes his head. “Please, come with me, they’d wanna see you too.”

“Oh, well if you’re sure. I don’t want to let you down,” I look up at him.

Soarin’ smiles and jumps to his hooves. “Let’s go then!”

“Where are they staying?” I ask as I stand beside him.

“At the library, with Twilight Sparkle, right?” Soarin’ looks at me.

I nod in confirmation before stretching out my wings and dropping down towards the ground. Soarin’ follows close behind me as we glide towards Ponyville.

The sky is clear and it’s a lovely day, so the town is quite busy, Soarin’ and I look around in attempt to find a safe place to
land without crushing any pony, but sure enough, some pony recognises Soarin’ without his suit on.

“Oh sweet Celestia! It’s Soarin’ from the Wonderbolts!” A young Pegasus mare shouts, causing chaos in the town square.

Soarin’ looks at me with wide eyes. “I can’t fly away, Dash. Spitfire says it’s bad for our public image. Do you want to go ahead?”

Ponies begin to gather beneath us shouting out Soarin’s name, begging him for autographs and pictures. If I ever get into the Wonderbolts, my life will be like this too, unable to go anywhere without being mobbed by fanfillies and fancolts. I’m not too sure how I feel about that.

We both fly down and land in a clear space, before a wall of ponies charge towards us. I look at Soarin’ and nod in reply to his offer before galloping off. I do feel guilty for leaving him, but I’m sure he can handle it himself. Anyway, I’d rather not be squashed by a bunch of ponies trying to get close to Soarin’. They’d probably end up pushing me away anyway, so I might as well just leave now.

Soarin’s name is being called out throughout the whole town; ponies are cheering and screaming in joy. Images from the Gorge begin to flash through my mind again.

The screams of joy warp into screams of fear. Ponies are calling Soarin’s name in terror as they hope he’ll escape.

I gallop down Ponyville’s dirt roads and end up running down the alleyway behind Sugar Cube Corner. Suddenly, all around me there are falling boulders. Running backwards in fear, I crash into a bin, falling into a pile of rubbish.

The screams ring through my ears as I cry out in terror, begging for them to stop. I cover my ears with my hooves as I sit in the corner of the alleyway, hiding from all of civilisation. My breathing is heavy and uneven as tears begin to roll down my cheeks, the screaming continues and I wait for it to stop, will it ever stop?

Suddenly there is a pony at my side, I jump in shock and glance over to find that it’s, no other than, Pinkie Pie.

“Hey Dashie, whatcha doing down here all by yourself? Were you playing hide and seek, were ya? Can I play?” Pinkie blabbers on as the screaming continues to burn into my mind. “Wait, are you okay, Dashie? You look scared, are you lost? Do you want me to walk you somewhere? Where’s Soarin’?”

I groan slightly and place my hoof over Pinkie’s mouth. “I’m fine, Pinkie. Soarin’s busy with a bunch of fanfillies and I was heading to see Twilight in the library, do you want to come with me?” I ask, relieved that I will have some pony to at least partly cover up the screams.

Pinkie Pie grins, “Sure thing, Dashie! I love to see my friends, I have so many friends in Ponyville, you know, and it’s great when I get to see them all at once!” She begins to bounce down the alleyway, and I trudge behind her.

Pinkie continues to blabber on, and I pretend to listen as the screams continue echoing through my ears. I just need to keep my cool and no pony will realise how much I’m breaking inside. We walk towards the library, Pinkie bouncing along cheerfully, and I’m walking along slowly, trying to look okay.

Once we arrive at the library, I find that most of the Wonderbolts are gathered around talking amongst themselves. Pinkie Pie’s loud talking causes them all to stop and look our way as we enter the library.

“Spitty!” Pinkie bounces over and embraces Spitfire, she then moves around the circle of Wonderbolts, giving each of them their own unique nickname.

Spitfire looks slightly annoyed with the fact that Pinkie calls her ‘Spitty’ but she seems to brush it off with ease and just accept that Pinkie Pie is just like that. I wave silently at the Wonderbolts before quietly walking over to the Daring Doo section of the library. The cries of terror still won’t stop as the ponies in the library return to talking. They grow louder and louder, causing me to shake in fear.

I feel the presence of another pony beside me, and turn to find Wave Chill, standing with a bandage around his head.

“Hey, Dash,” he smiles awkwardly, “I’m sorry about the accident and stuff.”

“It’s fine, Wave, seriously. It wasn’t your fault.” I place a shaky hoof on his shoulder in attempt to comfort him.

Wave Chill frowns slightly, a frown which reminds me of Soarin’; it’s obvious that they are siblings. “Are you okay, Dash?”

“Yeah, of course I am! I’m the awesome Rainbow Dash, I’m always okay,” I say, my voice going a little too high, my smile being a little too fake for it to be believable.

The dark blue Pegasus looks at me for a few more moments before nodding slightly. “Okay, well if you need some pony to talk to, I’m here okay?”

“Thanks, Wave, but I’m okay. The same goes for you though,” my smile turns into a more genuine smile as I realise how much I’ve missed talking to Wave.

I haven’t properly spoken to him since the Best Young Fliers competition, when we got to spend a whole day together. Him, Soarin’, Spitfire and I basically hung around, had a laugh and done a few tricks together. That was the first time I saw them all as real ponies and not just the Wonderbolts. That’s when I first began to consider them all as friends.

Wave Chill wraps a hoof around me quickly before walking back towards his fellow Wonderbolts.

I return to looking through old Daring Doo books as every pony else in the room talks. My ears ring in pain as the screaming continues to grow louder and louder. Now, there are cries of pain as ponies are caught under the falling debris.

The room spins around me, and I place a hoof on the side of the bookshelf to stop myself from falling over. My heartbeat echoes through my ears as I sit on the floor, landing with a thump. I cannot breathe, my lungs are squeezing shut, the louder the screams get the more it hurts.

Twilight is now standing in front of me, she’s speaking to me but I cannot make out what she’s saying. They are too loud, they are all around me.

I squint up at her and try to read her lips; I can just about make out the words: “Are you okay?”

Nodding, I stand up and say, “I’m fine, I just need some air.”

Stumbling out of the room, I can feel all eyes on me as the screaming continues to ring in my ears. I know they must be talking about me, but I can’t hear them.

Once I get outside I crouch down on the floor outside of the library and breathe heavily, trying to pull myself together. I can’t let any of them see me like this; they’d think I’m crazy.

Finally, the screaming begins to subside into a dull sound, a sound I can barely make out but I know it’s still there. Orange hooves appear before me, and I look up to find Applejack standing in front of me.

“Hey there, sugar cube, are ya’ll okay?” Applejack sits beside me.

I straighten myself up so I’m sitting normally. “Of course I am, AJ, I’m always okay.”

Applejack’s eyebrows burrow together. “Sure ya are, RD, sure ya are. Ah know that somethin’ is troubling ya’ll, but ah’m not gonna push it on ya to tell me. Ya know where ta find me if ya’ll want to talk though, okay?” She puts a hoof around my shoulders and I return her embrace willingly.

“Okay, thank you AJ,” I sigh as the smell of sweet apples fill my nose. “But there’s no need to worry about me.”

Applejack nods and pulls away. “We all worry about ya, sugar cube, that’s what friends are for.”

I climb to my hooves and help AJ up before turning towards the library. “I take it they’re all worried about me then?” I sigh sadly.

Applejack smiles sadly at me. “Course they are, they care about ya. Now, ya’ll better get in there and tell them you’re okay.”

We walk in together to find that every pony are standing there together, talking quietly.

Rarity is the first to walk over and embrace me. “Rainbow, darling, are you alright? I was very worried about you.”

“Gosh, guys, I’m fine, really,” I laugh with slight uneasiness. “I’m Rainbow Dash, for crying out loud. I was just tired, that’s all,
you know I did a Sonic Rainboom this morning and it wore me out.”

The ponies share a look around the room as I continue to force a smile upon my face. Finally, they all return to their other conversations and I sigh in relief.

Spitfire finishes her conversation with Fleetfoot and walks over to me. “Hey, Rookie, where’s the goofball?”

“He got mobbed by a gang of fanfillies, he should be here soon,” I sit down and lean against a bookcase.

Spitfire sits beside me silently for a few moments. “I see, well he’ll be okay, he handles it well. He loves his fans, replies to every single piece of fan mail he ever receives. It’s crazy.”

I laugh softly. “Never would have guessed: Soar is a big softy at heart.”

“You bet he is, just wait until you hear all the stories about him, he will kill me for telling you them all, but it’ll be worth it,” she laughs as she remembers an event which must have happened a while ago.

We fall silent again and the only sound which is left in the room is the murmurs of the other ponies and the dull screaming of terror which has been scratched into my mind for eternity.

“I wonder if he’s managed to escape.” Spitfire muses as she glances at the door.

As if on cue, Soarin’ stumbles into the library and slams the door shut, making sure to double lock it.

“Hey guys, how are you all doing?” He gives us his trade mark goofy grin.

Spitfire laughs at the mess her best friend is in. “Jheez, Soar, did they trample you or something?”

Soarin’ rolls his eyes and glares at the Wonderbolts captain. “Maybe, but it’s all good now. They’re just hanging outside.”

The screams from the fanfillies fill the room, causing my breath to catch in my throat. My eyes widen in fear as I attempt to keep a straight face.

Slowly, I stand up and walk upstairs, pretending that I’m just going to look at some other books or sit out on the balcony. Once I get upstairs I run into the bathroom and lock the door behind me before collapsing onto the floor and sobbing uncontrollably.

Soarin’s voice is at the door in an instant, as he begs me to let him in. But his voice gets buried beneath my cries and the other ponies cries of terror.

Author's Note:

Whoa, long chapter, probably because I'm avoiding revision *Facehoof* Gah, I really need to do that now!
I hope you enjoyed the chapter guys! It is kind of hard to write Rainbow in this way, but I hope I'm doing a good job!
To all you Whovians out there, I hope you get the Sound of the Drums reference in there! The Master's insanity kind of inspired me to write this chapter!
If you see any fails, are confuzzled or just want to say hello, Drop a comment below and I'll reply ASAP!
Anyway, now it is time for me to try and revise!
Wish me luck!
Until next time!
<3