• Published 13th May 2013
  • 5,517 Views, 353 Comments

Free to Fly - I am not a Dalek



Sequel to Trapped. Rainbow Dash and Soarin' are both out of the hospital, and have one month to spare before Soarin' returns to the Wonderbolts HQ.

  • ...
5
 353
 5,517

Being Haunted

Chapter 11- Being Haunted

The bed shifts beneath me, disturbing me from my slumber. As I open my eyes and sleepily glance around the room I find that Soarin' has just sat down beside me. I wonder how long he's been awake. I push myself into an upright position and wrap my forelegs around his waist.

"Hey, what're you doing up? It's only eleven," I mumble into his mane and hold him close.

Soarin's shoulders shake as his laugh fills the room. "Oh, I was just doing a bit of cleaning, you know."

My eyes widen in shock and I pull away so I can have a good look at him. "You seriously tidied up that mess everypony made?"

"Most of it, I did make you wake up a hung-over Spitfire. I had to make it up to you," he grins his regular goofy grin, the one that I fell for in the first place.

Rolling my eyes, I jump off of the bed and walk down the stairs to find that my sitting room is pretty much back to normal. All that is left is a few rubbish bags full of plastic plates and leftover food. I never knew Soarin' had the patience to clean; I don't even have that type of willpower!

Soarin' comes down the stairs close behind me and I turn to face him with a smile across my face.

"Thanks, Soar, you're brill!" I beam and wrap my forelegs around him.

Soarin' laughs softly and holds me close. "No problem, Dashie. I knew that I needed to help since I contributed to the mess... Also, Spitfire would've killed me if I didn't help."

I smile slightly, imagining Spitfire angrily chasing Soarin' around because he didn't help tidy the HQ, now that, I have to see that one day.

"Well, thank you. How about we go out for a flight today?" I throw a foreleg around his shoulders and pull him close to me.

As I pull his body against mine our noses accidently bump together. We both freeze and look at each other in sweet silence. He looks deeply into my eyes with his beautiful green ones and I gaze back into his, getting lost in the emerald labyrinth.

Sweet, blissful silence is shared between us as we communicate through our intense gaze, which sends warm flutters throughout my body. I never thought I would feel this way about anypony whatsoever but here I am, foolishly in love.

Love. I play the word in my head over and over again as I realise we have yet to utter those three simple- yet meaningful- words to each other. However, I can wait until he's ready to say them; I could never imagine saying them first, I'm too proud to do that. But I can hardly wait to let my feelings known to him. I have, in fact, loved Soarin' ever since the cave incident. I wonder if he has felt the same way...

Soarin's voice pulls me out of my train of thoughts and back to reality as I look up at the goofy Wonderbolt.

"Should we go fly then, Dashie?" he grins goofily as he pulls me out the door and into the sky.

His grin, his trademark Soarin' grin that is so childish and silly, never fails to make my heart flutter. He is oblivious to the fact that his simple goofy grin gives me such emotions. He will never know about the warmth that shoots through my body when he performs simple gestures such as that one. Don't get me started on the nickname he uses, the one that only he- and occasionally Pinkie- uses. Dashie. The way he says it is far more intense and different to the way Pinkie Pie says it, however. He puts so much love into those two syllables, so much passion... Sweet Celestia, when did I become such a sappy, love struck, sod?

We soar through the sky together and I watch as the wind pushes Soarin's mane back and his tail trails along behind him. I somersault through the air and land gently on a fairly large cloud then sit back and watch Soarin' fly through his solo routine with ease. He flies high into the sky, his nose pointing towards the blue blanket above us, and then he smoothly flips his body so it's facing in a vertical line. His wings which were held open up until this point are now sitting comfortably on either side of his body and then he begins to fall.

He rockets towards the ground as his whole body begins to spin, seemingly out of control. I scramble to my hooves and ready myself to zoom into the rescue, however, as I glance over the edge of the cloud at his falling body, I find that he has regained control and is gracefully spinning and somersaulting through the air.

I collapse back onto the cloud and gasp for air because I had been holding my breath without realising. I should have known that move was part of the routine; anyway, Wonderbolts are trained in being able to get out of sticky situations, such as spiraling out of control.

Still, I couldn't help but worry about him, we both almost died not even three weeks ago. I could not bear to almost lose him again; it pains me to even think about it.

Mentally, I slap myself. Come on, Dash, get a hold of yourself. You're not going to let yourself go soft, are ya? I scold myself.
It's not true, I haven't gone soft. There is one emotion, very deep down, that everypony has. Even the hardest, most cruel of ponies have it. This emotion is one which some decide to hide and only share with a few of their closest friends and families whereas others want to share it with the whole of Equestria. That emotion is love.

I am one of those hard ponies who pretend they don't hurt and pretend they don't care. I'm one of those ponies who only share my love with a few special ponies. Just because I don't show my love often doesn't mean I don't have it deep within. When I do finally show others the compassion I have inside me, it does not mean I'm going soft it means that I'm strong enough to finally share it.

So, no I am not going soft, in fact, I've grown stronger. I only really show how much I care to a few ponies. Twilight, AJ, Pinkie, Rarity and Fluttershy are all my best friends and I care about them greatly, however, I probably don't show it enough.
Although Tank is not a pony, I love him a great deal too but I only show my affection towards him in private. There are only two ponies that I publicly show my affection towards without feeling embarrassed. Scootaloo and Soarin'. When I'm with them, I don't care if I seem soft or weak because I care greatly about them. I care about the others too but this is different. They're like the family that I lost long ago. They make me feel at home.

I stare at the sky above me and watch as the clouds drift peacefully. Slowly, I close my eyes and drift as if I'm one of those clouds...

A sudden weight on my body startles me and I open my eyes, only to see a dark blue mane pressed against my face. I laugh softly and turn my head slightly to find Soarin' lying across me, fast asleep. The sun has past its midday point and I begin to wonder if I had fallen asleep, and if so, for how long? Soarin' must have been practicing for hours, no wonder he's knackered.

I keep my body still in hope of allowing him to get some rest since he did wake up extra early to clean up the mess his comrades left behind. I still have to thank him for that. Soarin' never fails to surprise me in our relationship. I think I know him and then he does something like this which makes me feel all warm and fluttery inside. Celestia, what is happening to me? I can't help the way I feel though, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make it known to the world that I've turned all sappy. I'm going to make sure they still think I'm the confident, cool, Rainbow Dash.

Soarin' begins mumbling softly in his sleep so I lean in closer to listen in. It is then that I realise he's having a nightmare. Although I cannot make out what he's saying, I can tell that he is distressed. His body is tense and suddenly he begins shouting out incoherently.

Gently I push him off me and begin to shake him, trying to wake him up. "Soar, sweetie, wake up! I'm here, it's okay."
Soarin' thrashes about as he cries out and suddenly he goes over the edge of the cloud which we were laying on. My heart stops and I feel as if I'm going to be sick. Oh sweet Celestia, why do you do this to us? Without even thinking about it, I am in the air flying after him at once. His eyes are now open and his mouth is wide with a scream which seems to be trapped in his throat.

The last time this happened it was reversed. I was falling after my wings had locked up and Soarin' had to save me. It seems as if we're taking turns in plummeting to our deaths and saving each other. Hopefully this will be the last time but I very much doubt it.

The cone of the sound barrier forms around me but I don't even care about the Sonic Rainboom. All I care about is saving Soarin'. I break through the barrier without even thinking about it and I push myself as fast as I can as I wrap my hooves around Soarin'. Suddenly flying upward, I only barely avoid a hard crash, but I must've been more tired than I thought because carrying Soarin to safety was too difficult a task and we both tumble to the ground, not as soft a landing as I'd hope but we survived.

Soarin's body is shaking on top of me and I can hear his weak sobbing. Slowly, he rolls off me and pulls me on top of him, holding me tightly. I gasp for air as I wrap my hooves around him, images of him hitting the ground at full force flashes through my mind. I almost lost him again.

"Ponyfeathers, Soar, I... I can't lose you," I whisper and look up at him to find his eyes are full of fear.

Soarin' is silent as I sit up and pull him with me, still in his embrace. I can feel his body shaking around me as I take his face in my hooves and feel the dampness of his tears against my fur.

"What happened in your nightmare, Soar?" I whisper gently.

Soarin' shakes his head and just clings onto me. "I don't wanna talk about it..." he whispers in a weak voice.

Tears fill my eyes as I hold him close to me. The only other time I saw Soarin' this frightened was in the cave. His warm body is still shaking violently against me as I desperately try to comfort him.

"Soar, it's alright... It was just a dream," I whisper as I stroke his soft mane and he rests his head on my shoulder.

A pained sob escapes Soarin's lips, which causes my heart to clench and more tears to escape. I just want to help him, why can't I help?

"Come on, let's go home, okay?" I stand up and help him to his hooves.

My body aches slightly from the crash we had moments ago but I ignore it as I stretch out my wings and gently place Soarin' on my back since he's in no condition to fly. I make sure his hooves are wrapped firmly around me before I set off towards my house.

As my house is growing bigger before us, Soarin' seems to calm down slightly and his shaking subsides.

His broken voice reaches my ears just as I prepare to land. "Dashie?"

"Yes, Soar?" I ask gently as I help him off my back.

He looks at me with tired eyes. "C-Can I talk about my nightmare? Last time something happened to me, I didn't talk to anyone about it and it got really bad... I don't want it to happen again, Dashie."

I watch him for a few moments as I wonder what had happened to him before. In the cave when things ended up getting really bad, he stayed frozen, unable to talk at all but he must be talking about something else, I'm just not sure what. I decide it's best to push my curiosity to the back of my mind before nodding and wrapping a wing around him, as I lead him inside.

"Sure, I'm always here to talk if you need it, Soar. I'll help you when things get bad, I promise," I whisper gently as I take a seat on my settee.

Soarin' takes a seat beside me and he looks down at his hooves as he takes a deep breath. I reach over and put a hoof over his in hope of reassuring him.

"We were back at Ghastly Gorge again, but it was after the whole thing had happened. You wanted to go in the cave again to overcome your fear of the place. I tried to stop you because I was beginning to feel uneasy, but you were being as
stubborn as you always are and you said 'I'll go in myself then.' So, you did. I waited for you and when you never came back out I got worried so I ran in... It was as if we were thrown back in time or something, because the entrance was blocked off again but this time we were never found. We were so hungry, I kept telling you to hang in there, I begged you but you gave up. It was like all the strings inside of you had broken so you could no longer go on." Soarin' looks at our hooves in silence once he finishes.

I sigh softly as I wrap my hooves around him. "Sweetie, that won't happen. We'll be alright, I promise."

Soarin' nods slightly before leaning against my shoulder and closing his eyes. I absentmindedly stroke his mane, thankful that I was able to make him feel a little better. It hurts seeing him so afraid. It's like the goofy, bubbly Soarin' that I know and love has disappeared. But I will always be there to help him just like he will always be there to help me.

"Hey, Dashie?" He whispers against my fur, his warm breath causes me to shiver.

I glance over at him to find that he's looking back at me. "Yeah?"

A smile forms across his lips as he watches me. "I love you."

I blink in shock and stumble over a few words before I can finally say, "I love you, too, Soar," in return.

A goofy grin spreads across his face as he closes his eyes again. "Thanks for everything, Dashie."

I smile as I lie back on the sofa, pulling him back with me. I never thought that he'd actually say it to me; I never thought he felt the same way but now I know. Right now, I don't care if I'm a sappy, love struck, sod because I love him and there is nothing in the world that could change that.

I hope I've helped Soarin's nightmares disappear, but I have a feeling that it's going to be a rough couple of weeks for the both of us. We only have two weeks left together before Soarin' has to return to the Wonderbolts HQ and I hope he won't suffer with his nightmares there as well.

The dull screaming is beginning to return as the spell Twilight cast is beginning to fade, I know I have to wait a few more days before I can get a top up though. I just hope that the screaming and the nightmares don't stop Soar and I from having a good time together before he has to go.

I can't wait for the day when we aren't troubled by the Gorge.

Hopefully that day will be soon.

Author's Note:

Hey guys,
Just a short authors note here! Thanks for all your support guys, you're brilliant! <3 Look out for the next chapter because it gets a tad intense! :D
<3