• Published 10th May 2013
  • 2,615 Views, 148 Comments

Pony Watch - AppleBandit



Captain Twilight Sparkle must revitalize the Ponyville Watch in this retelling of Twilight's first days.

  • ...
7
 148
 2,615

Chapter VII: Questions, Queries and Inquests

Dreams were a funny thing sometimes. They could be so aloof one moment until the next, when they shifted into some horrid version of the world the dreamer left behind once their head hit the pillow. Twilight Sparkle was unaware of her tossing and turning in bed, as well as the fact she was halfway off her bed. To her, she was standing upon a craggy outcropping in the middle of a maelstrom. Beneath her surged an ocean of lava and above her the sky boomed with the roars of thunder and streaks of lightning splitting the clouds.

She wasn't sure by what dream logic she was brought to this terrifying place. All she knew was an insatiable urge to get away from something looming ever closer to her. She couldn't catch a glimpse of it directly. Only in snippets through a wispy shadow could she see the abomination shambling closer and closer. Her eyes frantically ran around the scenery, trying to see a way out.

She slipped suddenly, catching herself on the slick rocks, trying to pull herself up. Her hooves slid as she pulled with all of her might, feeling the heat from below rising up. The creature inched close as Twilight desperately tried to pull herself up. That was when she stared up into the twisting darkness of the shadow and saw from it her own head poking out. Eyes wreathed in flame, the other Twilight twisted their head around before shouting in an unnatural voice.

"Wake up!" it demanded. With that, a wisp of darkness whipped at Twilight's body, her grip collapsing from the pain. She fell for what felt like an eternity, the lava getting ever closer. The heat felt as though it was going to scorch her body.

**********

She let out a sharp yelp as her body smacked into the wood floor beneath her bed. Above her stood Spike holding a lantern, giving her a worried look. She let out a groan as her tired lids slid open to take in the very fuzzy surroundings. Through the pale light of the lantern, she could see she was not drowning in lava as her dream had suggested. That was a good start at the very least.

"Spike?" she asked, turning her head towards him. "What time is it?"

"It's six in the morning," Spike said. "I just got an urgent letter from Princess Celestia though. She says she needs you back at the castle immediately!"

"Did she say why?" Twilight asked dryly, groaning as she got to her hooves.

"Something about a newspaper?" Spike said with a shrug.

Twilight ran her hooves down her face before moving to the mirror across the room and brushing her mane. She leaned forward, trying to get a better look, only to find what stared back was not pretty. Bags weighed heavy beneath her eyes. Her overall appearance made her look as though she'd spent the night crumpled away somewhere in an alley. Spike moved to her side, bringing along her breastplate and helmet. As Twilight did everything she could to not make herself appear like a vagrant, Spike set to work cinching up the armor and straightening the plumage of the Captain's official hat.

"There's a chariot already waiting for you outside," Spike said as Twilight nodded and rested the helmet neatly upon her head.

"Make sure you slide the prisoners downstairs some breakfast, I have plans for them," Twilight said. "Also, if I'm not back before the rest of the Watch get's here, tell them to perform a standard patrol and get those badges put on their uniforms. Also, if you would, pick up a card somewhere along the day for Sergeant Rainbow Dash."

Spike gave a crisp salute as Twilight returned it in kind and moved down the stairs and out the front door of the Watch house. The cool chill of morning air ran along her, making her yearn for the feeling of her warm bed sheets. She moved to the chariot and boarded it, settling in with a sigh. The team of pegasi dug into the ground and bolted forward before soaring into the sky. Twilight put a hoof to her helmet and shivered. If nothing else, the cool morning would wake her up before she got to Canterlot and met with Princess Celestia.

She looked over the lip of the chariot towards the horizon, watching the sun began to crest lazily over the horizon. She watched as a glow from Canterlot Castle began to slowly fade and disappear. Twilight wondered often if Celestia got tired of having to raise the sun and the moon. Much to her own amusement, she wondered if there was ever a time an inexperienced Princess Celestia got it backwards and had the moon come up in place of the sun. The universe obviously had a sense of humor, after all.

**********

It wasn't long before the chariot arrived at Canterlot and parked itself just outside of the castle grounds. Twilight hopped down and made her way to the castle gates, receiving a salute from the guards out front. She had suddenly remembered one of the things she despised about coming to the castle. All of the salutes you had to return. Made one's foreleg get tired simply from doing the motion over and over again.

She weaved her way into the castle proper, moving down the hall towards the princess' chambers until arriving at the large solid doors that towered above her. She gave a firm knock before the echoing voice of Princess Celestia beckoned for the door to be opened. She walked to the throne before doffing her helmet and bowing to Celestia.

"Your highness," Twilight said.

"Ah, Captain Twilight Sparkle, so glad you could make it this morning," Celestia said with a smile on her face. "Though looking worse for wear if I'm honest."

"Rough day and night, your highness," Twilight said.

"M'yes, so it would seem," Celestia said moving from her throne to a nearby window that looked out to Canterlot. "Apprehending Filthy Rich was a bold move on your part."

"You heard about that, your highness?" Twilight asked.

"Do you receive the Ponyville Express, Twilight?" Celestia asked.

"N-Not to my knowledge, unless someone is stealing our mail."

"It's the newspaper down in Ponyville. Often filled with boring news one would hear after simply walking three feet out of one's door. Still, sometimes they run the most interesting of stories."

Twilight gulped, a sinking feeling starting to fester inside of her. "O-Oh?"

"Yes, including a very interesting one just this morning. A certain Captain of the Watch that paraded a certain Mr. Filthy Rich through the streets of Ponyville and threw him in irons. Honestly, you have to appreciate their tenacity despite the bias."

"Your highness, I assure y-" Twilight was cut off by Celestia raising a wing.

"I know you would not purposefully do something to jeopardize the investigation. It's partly my fault after all. I sent you into Ponyville without much instruction beyond find missing ponies. I didn't have the time to mention the finer details. You see, that was no simple business pony you sent down into your cells. That was the head of their Chamber of Commerce, you sent down into your cells. A very well liked head of their Chamber of Commerce. Do you see where the problem lies?"

Twilight nodded slowly as Celestia turned. The sudden harshness in the alicorn's voice made Twilight shiver. It was almost like being scolded by someone's mother for running in the house. It was made worse by the fleeting scowl Celestia had worn before her face softened.

"Y-Yes, your highness," Twilight said.

"Good, now if I were you I'd head back to Ponyville before a riot forms to free Mr. Filthy Rich," Celestia said. "I'd imagine the mayor rising quite early to exercise her right to free him."

"Your highness, he is not innocent," Twilight said.

"Of course he isn't, he's a business pony," Celestia said with the slightest hint of a smirk. "But the true question is, do you have evidence to prove it?"

Twilight flapped her mouth open and closed. Celestia was right. The best they had was a wall-eyed witness. Celestia rose and nodded with a soft smile appearing on her face.

"I'll do everything I can, your highness," Twilight said.

"I know you will, but do take care of yourself," Celestia said. "I would hate to think you would wear yourself so thinly so quick. I'd also remember that bit about the newspapers. It may come in quite handy."

Twilight gave a respectful salute to her mentor, which was returned with a bowing of the alicorn's head. Twilight turned and plopped the helmet back onto her head. The doors to Celestia's throne room opened and closed behind her. Twilight would have to hurry. Especially if what Celestia had said was true. If there was going to be a riot, it would be a massive headache and possibly more damaged windows. A blow to the Watch they simply could not afford, quite literally.

**********

The chariot sailed out of Canterlot as Twilight stared down to the town of Ponyville. Her mind was fraught with worry. She didn't see any smoke coming from a building which was a relief. She nipped at her bottom lip nervously, wondering if Filthy Rich had already wiggled his way out of her grasp. As the town drew closer, she narrowed her eyes, trying to see if the Watch house had become a warzone yet.

There, outside of the front door she saw a surging horde of towns ponies. Their cries began to fill Twilight's ears as the chariot flew overhead. Twilight spotted the glint of metal which looked to be the Watch standing in a row outside to keep the crowd from turning uglier than it already seemed.

The chariot turned and swooped to the ground, coming to a stop near the crowd, who turned back to watch Twilight hop down from it. She narrowed her eyes as the crowd parted to allow her passage. It felt like she was doing a lot of this recently. Crowds of ponies always having their eyes on her as she walked through them and accepted whatever dubious stares they decided to give her.

"What's going on now?" Twilight asked as Applejack gave her a salute.

"Mayor's inside ma'am," Applejack said.

"Lovely, any particular reason there's an angry mob of ponies at our front door?" Twilight asked.

"Believe it has to do with that article in the paper, ma'am," Applejack said.

"Of course it does," Twilight said with a sigh. "Nothing is broken, is it?"

"No ma'am," Applejack said.

"Keep the peace out here then, I'll go and speak with the Mayor," Twilight said as Applejack moved aside to let her in.

Opening the door to the Watch house, Twilight wandered in to the sight of Spike standing on the front desk with keys in his clawed hands. The Mayor, it seemed, was stamping her hooves and growling at the small dragon.

"Give those keys to me or let Filthy Rich out of your cells this instant!" she snarled.

"Giving orders to my Watch now?" Twilight asked as Spike's face lit up, pleased to see the Captain return.

"I'm well within my right after you so swiftly dragged him off to jail," the Mayor said, spinning around on her hooves to face Twilight.

"Mr. Filthy Rich is down there until I have answers, Mayor," Twilight said.

The Mayor's face turned sour. "What answers are you trying to find? Are you insinuating he is behind the kidnappings?"

"A trusted member of our Watch saw a certain cart that was used in the kidnapping of a certain Berry Punch parking next to his home," Twilight said.

"So you believe just because that cart stopped right in front of his home, that he's guilty?"

"I thought that would be obvious," Twilight said with a grin. "We also have witness testimony who saw the transaction happen."

"Who is this witness? They're obviously lying to you!"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "I can't give up that information and you know it, Mayor."

"All right then, Captain," the Mayor said. "Explain to me how it was that on that same night, Filthy Rich was in his office at Town Hall approving this year's budget for beautifying Ponyville?"

Twilight's eyes fluttered as that news hit. It seemed all too ridiculous to her. Big Macintosh confirmed for certain that it was Filthy Rich who he delivered to. That was when her brain actually took over. She couldn't recall asking him directly that it was Filthy Rich that collected the mare. The Mayor quirked a brow as Twilight brought a notepad and quill out and began to flip through a few pages. Her eyes ran through the questions, seeing nothing at all save for he was holding them.

Twilight looked to the Mayor curiously; she didn't look like she was lying but these days it was difficult to tell.

"I'm going to need proof," Twilight said.

"I figured as much, so I brought along a few forms," the Mayor said jamming a hoof in Spike's direction. "That thing has them."

"I'm not a thing!" Spike shouted down at the Mayor with a glare.

"Lance Constable, if you would please," Twilight said as Spike lay the keys down on the desk and grabbed a few pieces of paper. He crawled down to the floor and brought them to Twilight who picked them out of his hand and looked them over.

"The first page as you'll see is a sign-out sheet that I have to approve," the Mayor said, coming to Twilight's side. "He signed out at eleven o'clock that evening. Hours after the kidnapping."

"What about lunch or dinner?" Twilight asked.

"He had it brought to him," the Mayor said.

Twilight looked back to the paper and shuffled through a few of the others. "What about these?"

"These are proofs of signature, he signs everything in the same way," the Mayor said. "As you can see his signature on his sign-out sheet is the same."

Twilight couldn't believe her eyes. Either someone was extraordinarily good at forging signatures, or this case had taken a sharp left down Buggery Avenue. The whole thing was rotten, there had to be something painfully obvious she was missing. Perhaps something Big Macintosh had missed or a question she had failed to ask. Her mind swam as the papers were plucked out of the air by the Mayor who tucked them into the collar she wore. Twilight shook herself out of her sudden trance and looked to the Mayor.

She could feel Filthy Rich slipping away as the conversation went on. Nothing made sense anymore. Filthy Rich couldn't have been in two places at once, for certain. What was there to be done? What could she do? That was when the thought popped into her mind.

"I want to test this out to make sure these aren't a forgery," Twilight said as she moved towards the stairs leading to the jail cells, the notepad still floating by her head.

"Is this really necessary, Captain?" the Mayor asked with a scoff.

"It's more than necessary, Mayor," Twilight said as she descended the stairs.

"This would be over a lot faster if you simply let him go, he's done nothing wrong!"

Twilight remained silent as she brought herself to the cell where Filthy Rich sat staring at the bars and grinning.

"Hello, Captain," he said.

"Mr. Rich, how are we today?" Twilight asked with a smirk.

"Well, I'd rather be at home, if I'm honest," he said. "Hello Mayor, sorry I'm not in today."

"Don't worry Mr. Rich, you'll be out soon enough," the Mayor said as Twilight wrinkled her nose.

"Mr. Rich, I'm going to need you to sign your name on this," Twilight said, tearing a piece of paper from her notebook and floating both it and an ink pen to him. He looked to the two of them now coming to settle on the floor. With a shrug, he took the pen into his mouth and set a hoof onto the paper. With a few quick dashes and strokes, he set the pen down and looked back up to Twilight. The pen and paper both floated to her eyes as the pages stuffed into the Mayor's collar followed suit.

She looked between the two, agonizing over every detail. Every swoop and stroke of the pen was analyzed right there by Twilight. Much to her dismay, however, the signatures both matched up perfectly. She looked to Filthy Rich curiously, wondering if he was secretly some sort of time traveler or could clone himself in some way. There was no other explanation.

"Spike," Twilight said dryly. "Get the keys."

Spike opened his mouth to speak but a look from Twilight made him frown and march up the stairs. The Mayor took the papers back from Twilight and stuffed them back into her collar. Filthy Rich stood up and moved to the bars with a grin on his face.

"This mean I'm being let go?" he asked.

Twilight stayed silent, staring right back at him as Spike came back down the stairs with keys in hand.

"Open it," Twilight said and backed away.

Spike looked down at the keys in his hands and sighed. Fumbling through them, he found the one of the cell of Filthy Rich and unlocked it. The metal hinges groaned as they opened and he stepped out with a smile.

"It does feel good to be out," he said as the Mayor nodded.

"So sorry it had to happen like this, Mr. Rich," she said. "I imagine the new Captain just got a bit antsy though."

If Twilight could kill someone with a stare, she more than likely would have been charged with double homicide as her brow furrowed and her eyes narrowed. This was a rage she simply couldn't hold in.

"It's quite all right," Filthy Rich said. "Just a slight mistake. Besides, I can look past it for when the budget for the Watch comes up."

Twilight felt her teeth pressing together in her mouth. The two of them began up the stairs with Twilight in tow. Spike closed up the cell and quickly followed suit. The Mayor and Filthy Rich both walked to the door as Twilight settled herself in the middle of the Watch house and stared at the two of them. The door opened to a roar of cheers as Filthy Rich waved to the crowd.

"Just like that, he's being let go?" Spike asked, coming to Twilight's side.

"Not in the mood, Spike," Twilight hissed between her teeth.

Spike crossed his arms and huffed, watching Filthy Rich push past the rest of the Watch and into the throngs of ponies who were happy to see their star citizen among them once more. The Watch filed into the door with the crowd now dispersing and shut it behind them. If nothing else, it silenced the cheers. Twilight glared past the ponies that now stood in front of her, burning a hole into the door.

"S-So," Pinkie Pie said.

"Er, yeah," Applejack said. "Is there somethin' y'all want us t'do ma'am?"

That was when the distant sound of a steam whistle echoed outside. That was also the moment Twilight's nerves shattered. In a huff, she stormed towards the door and flung it open in a blur of purple magic. As she got outside, followed by the rest of the Watch, she found herself just in time to see the cart of Flim and Flam pulling up to the crowd that surrounded Filthy Rich and the mayor. The two stallions hefted themselves from their seats and doffed their hats to the crowd.

"I say, brother of mine, seems we've got quite the turn out for our return to this fine town," Flim said.

"I'd dare say this is the best turn out we've ever had," Flam replied.

"We're not here for you!" a voice from the crowd shouted, followed by a few supportive remarks.

"We don't need those ruddy necklaces!" another voice cried.

Flim and Flam exchanged worried glances as the crowd seemed to churn and move. It wasn't until Filthy Rich brought himself to the front of the crowd that they stopped and watched. Filthy Rich stared up to the two stallions curiously as the crowd watched with bated breath.

"What sort of necklaces are these?" he asked, the crowd now starting to move in around him.

"Why, they're anti-kidnapping necklaces my friend," Flim said.

"Guaranteed to prevent you from being pinched by some ne'er-do-well!" Flam said.

"And they work?" Filthy Rich asked.

"Why sir, my brother and I only offer the finest quality products!" Flim said. "It is our solemn promise to our customers that every last Flim and Flam product be one hundred and ten percent effective. If they're not then we promise a full money-back guarantee and we'll eat our hats!"

Filthy Rich placed a hoof to his chin, his eyes squinting as the wheels in his head turned. "How do you know they work?"

"Well I'm wearing one, as is my brother Flam," Flim said.

"I'd imagine some of the crowd is wearing theirs as well, am I right?" Flam asked as the crowd began to look to one another and nod. There was a general mumbling about the group until Filthy Rich cleared his throat and brought silence to them once more.

"Well, I suppose you can't argue with results," he said. "I'll take two, one for myself and one for the lovely Mayor."

The crowd stood stunned as they witnessed Filthy Rich digging into his collar for a few stray bits and handing them over to Flim and Flam. The crowd began to roar amongst themselves before surging forward and practically flinging money towards the two stallions in a sudden need for their wares.

Twilight let out a huff as she turned to move back into the Watch house. She thought it a brilliant move since Flim and Flam sounded as though they were ready to launch themselves into a song and dance routine. The rest of the Watch shuffled in behind her, watching their Captain intently. She rubbed her head tenderly, trying to focus.

"Constable Fluttershy," she said, finally.

"Ma'am?" Fluttershy said.

"I want you to come with me down to the cells," Twilight said. "We're going to get answers out of that zebra and I would quite like you present. Hopefully she has the information we need to get that swindler back in our custody."

"What would you like the rest of us to do, ma'am?" Applejack asked, stepping forward.

"Patrol, but keep your eyes and ears open," Twilight said. "Someone is pulling strings that should be best left untouched. While you're all about it, get those badges too."

Sergeant Applejack gave a salute and lead the Watch back out into the streets. Constable Fluttershy watched them leave, giving a nervous squeak as she turned towards Captain Twilight. The two of them stood in silence across from one another for a passing moment until Twilight decided to simply turn and head down the stairs.

Fluttershy followed closely behind, still seeming very guarded in the presence of the Captain. Twilight wondered briefly why the Constable was so nervous. Certainly the 'shy' part of her name was a give away to her overall silence, but to be this big a bundle of nerves made her question why she ever joined the Watch in the first place. Of course, the Watch as a whole was filled with enigmas.

Lance Constable Spike teetered on a chair at the desk within the room of cells. He hastily leapt from it and gave Twilight a salute as she entered the room.

"She hasn't said anything yet, ma'am," he said. "Just let out a few groans and mumbling something about a yellow and pink ball of pain."

Twilight turned her gaze back to Fluttershy who shrank and blushed a deep red. "Thank you, Lance Constable. If you'd open the door to her cell and leave us, please. We'll be questioning her here. Leave the key and see about tidying up the upstairs."

Spike saluted once more and set off, snatching the keys from the wobbly table. He came to the cell containing the zebra and opened it up, the creaking of the hinges causing the still cloaked zebra to stir. Spike tossed the keys upon the table and scampered up the stairs, leaving Twilight and Fluttershy to approach the opened cell. Twilight looked down to the zebra that lay on the floor. She wondered if Sergeant Applejack had merely deposited her there, or if in the middle of the night the zebra decided the floor favorable to the bed.

"Hello?" Twilight said, poking a hoof at the zebra. "Come on, time to wake up."

The zebra wiggled, looking a bit like a dog having a dream about chasing a car before speaking. "I am not prepared to wake, I am not done eating this cake."

Twilight and Fluttershy exchanged confused glances before Twilight planted her hoof into the zebra's sides once more and pushed her. The zebra smacked the Captain's hoof away, quickly rising up on all fours and looking around her surroundings in a daze. Fluttershy took this moment to cower as the truncheon in Twilight's holster slid free and floated in front of her. Twilight gave a snort as the zebra glared back into her eyes.

"All right, anymore sudden movements and I whump ya," Twilight said calmly. "What's going to happen now is you're going to come out here to this table, we're gonna sit down, I'm gonna ask you some questions and you're going to give up your kidnapping associates. Got it?"

"Are you out of your mind?" the zebra roared. "I've done nothing of the kind!"

Twilight was taken aback for a moment. She'd once heard of zebras and their strange habit of speaking in rhyme. It made her wonder just how conversations went between zebras, if they continually spoke in rhyme or if it was simply to appear mysterious to foreign ponies that came to their lands to write books about a strange, new world and laugh about it quietly when they left. She focused herself back on the task at hand, truncheon still at the ready and Fluttershy still a quivering ball of fear behind her.

"Lurking about the shadows in a black robe doesn't sound like normal behavior to me," Twilight said.

"You believe I was lurking, but think again, my presence served another end," the zebra said.

Twilight canted her head slightly. "What end?"

"Perhaps we should go and take a seat, then we two can properly meet."

Twilight gave a nod as the truncheon slid back into her holder. As she moved towards the table, the zebra caught sight of Fluttershy who gave her a slight smile. The zebra in the meantime recoiled slightly, remembering all too well the spinning murder-top that came flying at her in the forest.

"I see you have brought your beast, you ponies still do not trust me in the least," the zebra said, reluctantly moving to the side of the table opposite Twilight. The Captain turned her gaze back to Fluttershy, still unable to fathom just where the pegasus got the courage to go flying towards a stranger in the middle of a dark forest.

"Yes, well, no need to worry over her," Twilight said, trying to keep a straight face. "Why don't we start with your name."

"I am Zecora by name, spells and incantations are my game," she said.

"Right then, Ms. Zecora, you start by telling me what you were doing outside of the Everfree Forest skulking about in broad daylight," Twilight said, bringing her notepad to a rest on the slanted table.

"I was out of my hut to find a flower, investigating a rather queer bower," Zecora said. "When I heard a loud noise echoing in the air, it sounded quite close and gave me a scare. So I traveled to the edge of your town, looking to see what was going down. When I saw the two stallions at their cart, I took it upon myself to part. The folk of your town are quite suspicious, they believe no matter what I act seditious. So I cling to the shadows and to my forest, only coming to town to see your florist."

Twilight sat astounded by the entire story told in rhyme attempting to figure out just how to translate it into coherent notes. "And why should I believe you?"

"I have no reason to give your town such woe, even if they treat me as a foe," Zecora said.

"Afraid that's not good enough," Twilight said. "From the sound of things you have all the reason in the world to kidnap those ponies."

Zecora smiled, unsettling Twilight a bit.

"Uhm, excuse me," Fluttershy said suddenly.

Twilight turned her gaze back to the yellow pegasi. "Yes, Constable?"

"If it's okay with you, ma'am, can I try something?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight looked her over a moment before offering her hoof towards Zecora. Fluttershy stepped out from behind Twilight and moved to Zecora slowly. The zebra, in the meantime, watched the pegasus carefully, the pounding of her head still prevalent from the beating received. Fluttershy nipped at her bottom lip as she stood across from Zecora. That was when, Twilight noted, something was happening.

"You wouldn't lie to the captain, right Ms. Zecora?" Fluttershy asked as her face turned distinctly serious. Her wings spread outwards as her eyes went wide. There was a feeling in the air of complete and utter oppression as Fluttershy glared right into blue eyes of Zecora. Fluttershy's eyes seemed on the brink of bugging out while Zecora seemed on the brink of spilling every dirty secret she knew of. As sweat began to pour down her brow, she finally managed to speak.

"Please, call off your eyes, I assure you that I tell no lies!" Zecora exclaimed.

Fluttershy straightened up and brought her wings back to her side. The oppressive feeling in the air was gone in an instant. Twilight stared at Fluttershy with mouth agape, trying to place a hoof on what exactly just transpired. Fluttershy made her way back to Twilight's side with a satisfied smile on her face.

"She's telling the truth," Fluttershy said.

Twilight wasn't certain of the validity of a staring contest being used as some sort of lie detector, but the raw and untamed power behind those eyes just didn't seem like something one would try to argue against. Zecora quickly tried to find her composure, running her hoof along the inside of the black robe she wore.

"That pony of yellow and pink is no joke, a glare from her would make a stallion choke," Zecora said as Fluttershy bashfully dipped her head down and reddened. Twilight set her quill down and cleared her throat.

"Do you think you could excuse me for a moment?" she asked to Zecora with a bit of a smile. The zebra nodded, eyes still on Fluttershy. Twilight turned, taking the pegasus with her up the stairs. Upon reaching the top, Twilight turned to Fluttershy with a distinctly blank expression.

"Constable," she said calmly.

"Yes ma'am?" Fluttershy said.

"What did you do?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, it's um, well," Fluttershy stammered. "It's called 'The Stare' ma'am. I use it only when I have to when my animals aren't behaving. I don't like using it though, I mean, I always feel bad afterwards."

"The Stare?" Twilight said.

"Yes ma'am," Fluttershy said.

Twilight placed a hoof on the side of her head and nodded. "Right."

"Ma'am, if I may?" Fluttershy said. "She doesn't seem like the kind to kidnap. Sure, she has her reasons, but I think she may just be misunderstood."

"I think you might be right, Constable," Twilight said with a nod. "Evidence points more towards someone here in Ponyville. Nothing has entered the Everfree Forest near as we can tell."

**********

Lyra grunted as she was magically lifted into the back of a cart and dropped carelessly onto the other kidnapped ponies. Trixie lifted a shroud into the air and covered the cart neatly as the ponies whimpered quietly to themselves. Silently, Shadow One moved to the front of a cart where another robed pony stood hooked up to it.

"You are to head into our second site in the Everfree Forest," Trixie said firmly. "Do not stop for anything."

"Yes, Shadow One," the robed mare said with a nod before taking off towards the forest's edge.

Trixie turned back to the house of Filthy Rich and stared up at it with a sneer. The door opened slowly, allowing her to enter and wait silently for his return.

**********

Captain Twilight and Constable Fluttershy returned to the cells where Zecora sat in silence staring at the picture of the happy pony playing with the kitten. She turned her gaze back to the pair with a slight smile as Twilight sat back across from Zecora and placed her hooves on the table, making it wobble about.

"Ms. Zecora," Twilight began. "Have you seen anything strange these past few days?"

Zecora tapped her chin in thought. "Nothing that I can recall, except your ponies coming to brawl."

"Right, yes, we do apologize for the rough treatment, of course," Twilight said. "You see, Constable Fluttershy was afraid you might have harmed our Corporal Rarity. She leapt into action, so to speak."

"Then no," Zecora said flatly.

Twilight stared back down at her notes with a sigh. A few moments of silence passed as the notebook floated in front of her eyes and she flipped through them. Deep in her mind there was a debate raging over if she should let Zecora back to her hut without a fuss or keep her locked away tightly here in the cells. She agonized over her notes before letting out a sigh and set the notebook back onto the table.

"Suppose that's all I need, then," Twilight said. "Ms. Zecora, I do apologize for all of this. I'd like to accompany you back to your hut if that's all right and perhaps take a look around?"

"I would be more than happy to have you, perhaps then you will be satisfied that I am true," Zecora said.

"Right then, Constable, I'll be back later," Twilight said. "Make sure you go and get your badge put on your uniform. Afterward, I want you up on a cloud and watching over the town."

"B-But I'm scared of heights, ma'am," Fluttershy said.

Twilight stared at her blankly. "You're scared of heights?"

"Yes ma'am."

"You can fly and you're scared of heights."

"Yes ma'am."

"...Dismissed, Constable," Twilight said with exasperation. With a hoof, she motioned for Zecora to follow as the three made their way to the top of the stairs. Spike sat at the desk, watching them curiously. That was until Twilight turned to him and he rose from his seat to give her a salute.

"Lance Constable, see to it the cells are all tidy and locked up, will you?" Twilight said.

"Ma'am," Spike said, hopping down from the chair behind the desk. He snagged a nearby broom and set off down to the cells while Twilight lead Zeocra to the door.


Much to Twilight's dismay, Flim and Flam were still outside flinging their wares to ponies. Filthy Rich looked as though he were getting into the act as well, advocating the flimsy sales pitch of the necklaces being one-hundred percent effective. It turned Twilight's stomach to think of it. That was when the crowd seemed to take a different turn. All it took was one pony to set off a panic.

"It's that weirdo from the woods!" the mare shrieked loudly and took shelter behind a nearby stallion. The crowd quickly surged to the sides of the cart, trying to put as much distance as they could between themselves and Zecora. Twilight gave a groan and rolled her eyes. If Zecora was still her suspect, she found it difficult to blame her for performing such evil acts.

"Everypony calm down," Twilight said, stepping towards the crowd. "She is not here to harm anypony. She is under my custody."

"She has the Watch under her spell!" a voice cried from the crowd.

"She does not!" Twilight demanded.

"You see folks?" Flim spoke up. "The Watch is under a spell! The only thing that can save you from not being kidnapped is one of our patented necklaces! Tell your friends!"

Twilight felt her blood beginning to boil over. She was prepared to march towards the cart until a hoof landed on her shoulder. She turned to see Zecora, who shook her head and began to walk off in the direction of the Everfree Forest. Twilight glared back towards Flim and Flam who waved with smug grins. Huffing through her nose, Twilight went after Zecora, walking next to her as they headed for the forest.

"It is kind of you to defend me, even if you do not believe my plea," Zecora said, her eyes turned to the ground.

Twilight nodded slightly, unsure of what to say. As they went along, other ponies who weren't at the gathering swiftly hurled themselves inside of buildings and homes to get away from the gaze of Zecora. Twilight felt a twinge of guilt, wishing she hadn't had to parade Zecora around like this, especially after being as pleasant as she turned out to be. She tried to quell the feelings. Shroud them in a hard-bitten visage only a trained copper could put on. She wasn't a trained copper though, nor could she hide how she truly felt.

Her face sagged as she watched the ground roll by beneath them. What could she say to the zebra at this point? It felt wrong, certainly, but there was nothing she could honestly say or do to change the minds of an entire town. Twilight groaned internally, her eyes soon coming upon what looked like fresh tracks laid into the ground. She halted suddenly, Zecora turning to look at her curiously.

Her eyes were wide, trying to take in everything she was seeing before her. Fresh cart tracks leading into the Everfree Forest. Her head turned sharply.

"Zecora, how often do carts from Ponyville run through the Everfree Forest?" Twilight asked.

"Not often," Zecora said.

Twilight's body began to shake, her mind quickly piecing everything together in a flash. Her body moved before her mind could manage the words 'run' to be screamed to Zecora. The startled zebra picked up her hooves and chased after Twilight. She was nearly a blur through the trees, galloping along the path as quickly as she could, keeping a sharp eye on what was ahead and the tracks below her.

Zecora soon fell out of her mind as her legs pumped swiftly. Mud and dirt kicking up along her coat and tail. She lowered her head, trying to get as much speed and momentum as she could. Something was being moved, and she had a good idea what it was. This could be her one and only chance.

Ahead of her she could hear a soft trotting on the path and the squeak of wheels. She pushed herself harder, trying to gallop faster. The path began to wind until it straightened and she saw it. The black cloaked pony pulling the cart looked back to the blur of lavender and iron hurtling her way.

"Halt!" Twilight cried out as the cart took off as well. The chase was on as both mares galloped for all they were worth. Their surroundings rushing by as fallen logs and rocks were dodged, the cart bounding into the air with every little bump. Twilight could see the cloth that covered it bobbing up, revealing the payload. She had been right.

The ponies in the cart began to scream as they were tossed around. Twilight began to inch her way closer and closer to the cart. She panted heavily, feeling luck that her advantage was the fact the cart was heavy. Suddenly the path began to wind again. The cart rolled onto one wheel as the mare guiding it turned sharply. Another wave of terror laden cries filled Twilight's ears. She pleaded with her legs, no matter how much they stung to continue. She bargained with her lungs that no matter how they burned for oxygen, they continue. She even made a deal with her brain that she would rest it all if she could just reach the cart.

Another turn saw the cart careening carelessly on one wheel. Twilight looked past it to see another straight away. Her chance was now or never. She was close enough to make it. She could do it. Her horn glow brightly as she leapt into the air. With a magical boost, she landed onto the edge of the cart, grabbing the cloth in her teeth to hold on. She pulled herself to her hooves as steadily as she could and looked ahead.

Her eyes filled with a sudden horror and the realization a sharp turn was quickly coming up. The mare turned. The cart turned. Captain Twilight with the cloth still in her teeth, however, was not so fortunate. She flew through the air into the tree line, cloth leaving her teeth as she screamed. Her mind raced, begging whatever lofty being were watching over her that this not be the end.

Her body smacked hard into a tree, the shock of pain running through her body, causing whatever air was still in her lungs to escape. Gravity then took over, dragging her down to the ground with a harsh thud. There on the muddy ground, the cloth slowly floating down around her, she stared at her umbral surroundings as they swirled and became darker.

She felt a cold chill run through her body like ice being pumped through her veins. As her head throbbed in a dull and fleeting pain, something felt as though it were pushing its way in. A voice, dripping with darkness. It rattled about her skull as it spoke one simple word.

HELLO.

That was when the world fell away.